PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Aurorum and magic enchantment questions

herrhauptmann
2012-12-26, 05:42 PM
Aurorum is listed in the BoED, and states that when an Aururom item is sundered/broken, the pieces can be placed together again, and with a full round action, fused back together again.

That's cool, and all. But what about when the item is magical? Are the magic properties of the weapon restored when the weapon is fixed? If not, doesn't that seem like a waste of 4000 gold?

Also,
Has anyone ever used a Spireshard weapon (DragMag #315)? For a +3 cost, you force casters to make a will save, and if they fail, they can't use magic for a time: a few rounds. I think the DC is static though, and probably pretty low.
I'm working on a sword for a mage-hunter type, and am bouncing between the following enhancements:
Everbright. MiC
Luckblade, 0 wishes. 14k, DMG
Lifedrinker. 38k DMG.
Magebane. +1, MiC
Spireshard. +3 DR

With the following on his armor/gauntlet spikes
Spellblade, PGtF. 6000gp
Parrying. EPH. 8k
Smoking. +1 Lords of darkness.

Spuddles
2012-12-26, 06:35 PM
Common wisdom is that caster specific damage isn't that important on mid level melee. Resource investment is best put into mobility, so you can catch the caster, and a way to strip away defenses. Power attack (and multipliers) + wraithstrike (ring of spells storing) + mageslayer is probably sufficient for damage/getting through defenses for most campaigns.

Shadowpounce is cool, but anticipate teleport really shuts you down. ToB shadow moves are teleportation but not conjuration- that may circumvent anticipate telport but still trigger shadowpounce. I am AFB so I cannot check.

I know this isn't exactly what you wanted, and I apologize. If the casters you fight aren't all super cheesy char op theoretical builds, then the above isn't nearly as pertinent. Many Outsiders, dragons, undead, fey, and aberrations count as spellcasters due to their Sp abilities, which are set and typically not a total shut down to melee.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-26, 07:03 PM
Casters probably won't be too cheesy, so my character build should be fine, it's not an arena game.
Some of those enchantments aren't specific to casters, losing 2 levels really messes with any enemy, you know?

Hmm, hadn't realized the list of 'spellcasters' was so long for what determines my Magebane.

Spuddles
2012-12-26, 09:29 PM
If "casters" are things with mirror image, displacement, and blur, ghost touch and true seeing/means to pierce illusions may be more valuable. If caster is going to be like a frost giant "mage" from frostburn, where it's just a sack of HP and a couple inconsequential Sps per day, then magebane will be pretty tood damage. If you know when magebane goes off, it can actually be pretty useful for discerning that a monster is more than meets the eye. If magebane does in fact apply to things with Sp. Could be wrong- away from books.

Can't answer you about auroreum, but from what I've seen on threads about special materials, it works with magic weapons.

mattie_p
2012-12-26, 09:42 PM
Regarding Aurorum: "The broken pieces bond quickly and seamlessly, restoring the item to its previous state." While state is not a defined game term, state (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/state) is defined (in the English Language, according to dictionary.reference.com) as:

the condition of a person or thing, as with respect to circumstances or attributes

Yes, magic items are restored.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-27, 02:29 AM
If "casters" are things with mirror image, displacement, and blur, ghost touch and true seeing/means to pierce illusions may be more valuable. If caster is going to be like a frost giant "mage" from frostburn, where it's just a sack of HP and a couple inconsequential Sps per day, then magebane will be pretty tood damage. If you know when magebane goes off, it can actually be pretty useful for discerning that a monster is more than meets the eye. If magebane does in fact apply to things with Sp. Could be wrong- away from books.

Sp? You mean spell-like abilities?
No idea on those either. But I got pierce magic concealment/protection for those illusions. Sorta weak on teleports, but the party can help too. A bit of my build went to a variety of immunities like mind blank and non-detection.

Regarding Aurorum: "The broken pieces bond quickly and seamlessly, restoring the item to its previous state." While state is not a defined game term, state (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/state) is defined (in the English Language, according to dictionary.reference.com) as:

Yes, magic items are restored.
That's good, I was getting tired of always using adamant/green starmetal for my warriors. Really wanted to change it up a bit.

Thanks everyone, I got an idea for another part of my back story now

Spuddles
2012-12-27, 02:42 AM
According to my google research, MIC changes magebane to only affect targets with either spells or invocations. No longer affects things with spell like abilities (Sp).