PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Undead Monster Classes (Libris Mortis)

Just to Browse
2012-12-26, 09:17 PM
So I had a few questions about undead monster classes. Easy one first:

As undead get older (up to venerable), how do they interact with aging penalties/bonuses? Where can I find a reference for this? So far all I've seen is word-of-mouth.

Secondly, the undead classes seem to provide racial bonuses, but Libris Mortis mentions at least once that an undead character is "distinguished" by its original race. So do you keep your previous racial features, and (if so) which ones?

Thirdly, I've looked at the undead classes in Libris Mortis and I found this quote:

If the character has no class levels, he simply gains one level of
the appropriate undead class and may multiclass freely between
that undead class and normal class levels.

That seems to say that if I make an undead class my first level (flavor-wise, it's the character getting infected before they've managed to thoroughly train), then I don't need to take my undead monster progression all the way through.

Finally, for characters who want to be undead beasties starting at level 1, how does initial wealth get determined?

Eonir
2012-12-26, 11:18 PM
Undead receive neither aging penalties or bonuses. They do not weaken with age, but they don't get smarter/wiser/prettier. They are frozen in time.

No. They are "distinguished" because they are PCs. There is no extra goodies involved.

No idea.

Just to Browse
2012-12-26, 11:19 PM
Those were disappointing, but very helpful, answers. Thanks for your clarification.

Story
2012-12-26, 11:30 PM
Undead don't get aging penalties or bonuses, but they can get stronger over time by picking up the Evolved template (requires at least 100 years each time, and gives +1 LA).

Eonir
2012-12-26, 11:46 PM
Those were disappointing, but very helpful, answers. Thanks for your clarification.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

And you're welcome :smallsmile:

EDIT: Didn't even read the wealth thing. They get standard gold of a 1st level character. Same as usual.

Just to Browse
2012-12-27, 01:12 AM
Sometimes the truth hurts.

And you're welcome :smallsmile:

EDIT: Didn't even read the wealth thing. They get standard gold of a 1st level character. Same as usual.

Problem is, all 1st level characters get different wealths (fighter gets lots, monk gets none), so whose do I pick? For a character that never had an original class, there doesn't seem to be an option.

Eonir
2012-12-27, 03:29 AM
It would be up to your DM, but I would assign fighter starting gold.

Eldonauran
2012-12-27, 01:08 PM
As undead get older (up to venerable), how do they interact with aging penalties/bonuses? Where can I find a reference for this? So far all I've seen is word-of-mouth.

Undead do not age and thus, do not progress through their aging categories (based on initial race)

Secondly, the undead classes seem to provide racial bonuses, but Libris Mortis mentions at least once that an undead character is "distinguished" by its original race. So do you keep your previous racial features, and (if so) which ones?

The undead 'race' is merely a template added to your base race (ie, human is base race + vampire spawn template). In Libris Mortis, this happens to be a level progression rather than an 'all-at-once' template. You retain ALL of the base race's abilities and gain the template's racials abilities as well, unless it says otherwise.

Thirdly, I've looked at the undead classes in Libris Mortis and I found this quote:

If the character has no class levels, he simply gains one level of
the appropriate undead class and may multiclass freely between
that undead class and normal class levels.

That seems to say that if I make an undead class my first level (flavor-wise, it's the character getting infected before they've managed to thoroughly train), then I don't need to take my undead monster progression all the way through.

It would seem to suggest that, yes. However, since it would conflict with the earlier descriptions of the undead racial progressions, AND with the Savage species information as well, I would be inclined to rule that you must finish the racial progression first.

HOWEVER, I would not really enforce this in actual play. The player gets to choose how they grow in power. If they want to take a single level of ghoul to gain the undead template (provided he actually dies in a manner that allows him to take the class), then he can do so.

Finally, for characters who want to be undead beasties starting at level 1, how does initial wealth get determined?

DM choice. I echo the fighter starter gold for two reasons:

1) The character doesn't have ANY armor prof and only simple weapon prof
2) The character doesn't have ANY special abilities worth mentioning. They are going to NEED the armor and weapons to stay undead.