PDA

View Full Version : Incarnum Fluff Question

Blueiji
2012-12-26, 09:24 PM
So just a quick question.

When shaping a Soulmeld such as Girallon Arms is the meldshaper drawing upon the souls of Girallons, or is the meldshaper drawing upon generic souls which is then channeled into a Girallon related form?

mattie_p
2012-12-26, 09:30 PM
Fluff answers:

"It is, very literally, the essence of all creatures." (MoI, p4)

"Soulmelds are persistent magical constructions shaped from pure incarnum—the power of souls living, dead, and yet unborn—fused with the meldshaper’s own essence." (MoI, p49)

Blueiji
2012-12-26, 09:41 PM
Fluff answers:

"It is, very literally, the essence of all creatures." (MoI, p4)

"Soulmelds are persistent magical constructions shaped from pure incarnum—the power of souls living, dead, and yet unborn—fused with the meldshaper’s own essence." (MoI, p49)

Thanks, although now I feel a tad silly for not being able to find that myself.

mattie_p
2012-12-26, 09:45 PM
It is really not a problem. In my opinion, the whole book is not laid out particularly well, and can be hard to understand (crunch-wise). Finding the fluff can be even more difficult when you are looking for it.

TopCheese
2012-12-26, 10:31 PM
Might I suggest that you just forget about the fluff of MoI?

Don't get me wrong I like it but... Yeah... They didn't do a good job with it... At all..

Big Fau
2012-12-26, 11:37 PM

Don't get me wrong I like it but... Yeah... They didn't do a good job with it... At all..

YMMV. A lot of people like the color blue.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-27, 02:58 AM

BLASPHEMY!!! It's an excellent supplement, though they would have been better off using other colors.

Psyren
2012-12-27, 03:29 AM
A more specific quote for your situation:

"You channel the soul energy of magical beasts to make your soulmelds and claim them as your totems to acquire a share in their power."

So (a) is the assumed default.

Huh? What's wrong with it? :smallconfused:

I think the fluff was great.

Yuki Akuma
2012-12-27, 04:12 AM
My interpretation is that the bulk of the "stuff" of the soulmeld is just generic soulstuff from anywhere, but the part that gives it its magic comes from someone or something with some sort of connection to the effect.

So you don't just channel Girallon souls when you shape Girallon Arms, but you do channel some Girallon soul(s).

Really, it doesn't matter too much - unless you're using necrocarnum, meldshaping doesn't damage the souls you use or anything like that, and the donator doesn't notice.

Blueiji
2012-12-27, 06:08 AM
BLASPHEMY!!! It's an excellent supplement, though they would have been better off using other colors.

BLASPHEMY!!! Obviously, blue is the best color. :smallbiggrin:

Kaustic
2012-12-27, 10:29 AM
I always fluff the Incarnum as if they use their own Soul energy to "power up" their abilities. But maybe I've just watched a bit too much Dragon ball Z...

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-27, 11:18 AM
I always fluff the Incarnum as if they use their own Soul energy to "power up" their abilities. But maybe I've just watched a bit too much Dragon ball Z...

There's no such thing as "too much" DBZ. :smallamused:

Deepbluediver
2012-12-27, 11:36 AM
For the fluff, I think I prefer a combination Yuki and Kaustic's ideas: you need some specific soul to get the shape right, then you use your own energy (the Essentia) to increase the power of that soul.
Kind of like blowing into a balloon.

I guess you could also fluff it so that Essentia is really just a measure of how much soul-energy you can channel, sort of like how a "newton" is the unit for measuring force, but it's impossible to hold 3 newtons worth of anything in your hand like you can with pounds or grams.

It is really not a problem. In my opinion, the whole book is not laid out particularly well, and can be hard to understand (crunch-wise). Finding the fluff can be even more difficult when you are looking for it.

Agreed. Unlike other supplements, you can't just jump in in the middle or pick out bits and pieces that you like.

I didn't get it at all until I sat down and made a concerted effort to read the book from cover to cover. Which felt like trying to an entire fruitcake in a single sitting.

I've since come to enjoy MoI, but getting a hang of it at first can be tricky. If possible, some one should summarize the basics for the un-initiated, THEN let them read the book for the exact details.

BLASPHEMY!!! Obviously, blue is the best color. :smallbiggrin:

Ok, now which shade or tone of blue are we talking about? Navy, Royal, Periwinkle, Aquamarine, Teal... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_blue)

Prime32
2012-12-27, 02:32 PM
For the fluff, I think I prefer a combination Yuki and Kaustic's ideas: you need some specific soul to get the shape right, then you use your own energy (the Essentia) to increase the power of that soul.
Kind of like blowing into a balloon.Remember...
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd54/Prime32_temp/Motivators/motivator7780873.jpg

Blueiji
2012-12-28, 03:38 AM
Ok, now which shade or tone of blue are we talking about? Navy, Royal, Periwinkle, Aquamarine, Teal... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_blue)

Royal blue, of course.