PDA

View Full Version : Enchanting a lighthouse?

silverwolfer
2012-12-27, 01:22 PM
Is anyone knowing of a method to enchant certain parts of a lighthouse or to give it special abilities beyond just bring a giant flashlight?

Gildedragon
2012-12-27, 01:27 PM
As a wondrous item, with a cost reduction for sheer unwieldlyness, or as a Mythal from Magic of Faerun (if I remember correctly)

What would you like your lighthouse to do?

Morcleon
2012-12-27, 01:29 PM
As a wondrous item, with a cost reduction for sheer unwieldlyness, or as a Mythal from Magic of Faerun (if I remember correctly)

What would you like your lighthouse to do?

Lost Empires of Faerun, actually. And if you're gonna make a mythal, why not go all the way? :smallamused:

You could also take a look at the Stronghold Builder's Guide. It has a lot of nifty things for buildings.

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-27, 01:29 PM
Some kind of item enchanted with a widened celestial brilliance (BoED) would be pretty cool. Talk about a spell with possiblities.

You could create a large form of some item similar to the old-fashioned lanterns of true seeing, which basically allowed user to have true seeing on anything illuminated in the beam of light produced by the lantern. Would be useful for a lookout stationed in the lighthouse.

Also, some kind of sunbeam effect would be cool. Some of the relics of Pelor have cool light-based effects that you could use as a starting point.

Stronghold Builder's Guidebook is an excellent resource for developing magically-enhanced buildings and fortifications. Some of the pricing may be slightly outdated, as it is 3.0, but it has always given some fairly reasonable pricing whenever I used it.

Craft Wondrous Item should cover it. I think you could come up with a custom Craft Wondrous Architecture if you have problems with the sheer amount of stuff that is covered by Craft Wondrous Item. Not a serious problem, though.

JaronK
2012-12-27, 02:54 PM
Obviously, continual flame should be used (maybe multiple castings) to make it always lit even when unattended. You could just put a massive bronze (or other shiny material) orb on the top of the tower, cast Continual Flame on it, and have a pretty distinctive look. Permanent Image is another idea... instead of flame, you could make the top of the lighthouse look like a brilliantly gleaming sapphire, continually lit from a powerful light within (or whatever else your imagination desires).

You can also, for 33kgp, put in an Orb of Pleasant Breezes. That keeps the weather mild for 2 miles out from the lighthouse. That's certainly a useful effect to come from a lighthouse.

JaronK

silverwolfer
2012-12-27, 06:07 PM
am actually going to be using blinding glory for my light house.

Gildedragon
2012-12-27, 06:11 PM
Hah, the rod of pure silver ought to then be the core of the lighthouse.