PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand & make this...

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-27, 09:02 PM
Im starting a new campaign, and my Dm let us create whatever we like
as long is not homebrewed...
for reasons that i don't think necessary to share in this post i decided
to create a Pixie Rogue
(quote from MM1 pg 236):
Pixies as Characters
A pixie character exchanges its 1 HD of fey for its first class level,
so a 1st-level pixie sorcerer has a d4 Hit Die, a +0 base attack bonus,
the base save bonuses of a sorcerer, and the sorcerer’s skill points
and class skills.
Pixie characters possess the following racial traits.
— –4 Strength, +8 Dexterity, +6 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +6
Charisma.
—Small size. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls,
+4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting
and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
—A pixie’s base land speed is 20 feet. It also has a fly speed of 60
feet (good).
—Low-light vision.
—Skills: Pixies have a +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and
Spot checks.
—Racial Feats: A pixie receives Dodge as a bonus feat.
— +1 natural armor bonus.
—Special Attacks (see above): Spell-like abilities.
—Special Qualities (see above): Damage reduction 10/cold
iron, greater invisibility, spell resistance equal to 15 + class levels.
—Automatic Languages: Common, Sylvan. Bonus Languages:
Elven, Gnome, Halfling.
—Favored Class: Sorcerer.
—Level adjustment +4 (+6 if the pixie can use Otto’s irresistible
dance).
Pcs start as lvl6..
So.. how i do this?
Will i considered to be lvl4 pixie (LA+4) and 2 lvl rogue? where is the
rules on how exactly i create characters with +LA ???

pretty plz.. if the answer to the 1st question is no, then be as eloquent
you can be while describing the process :)

thnk you all a lot :)

PS: Plz don't refer to Savage species.. i obviously prefer MM1 version :)

nyjastul69
2012-12-27, 09:17 PM
Sorta. The +4 LA doesn't count as actual levels. Your character would be ECL6 (effective character level 6). It would have 2 rogue levels plus the goodies from being a pixie. Your character would have 2 hit dice (the rogues). Does that make sense to you?

I'm sure I've been ninja'd with a more informative post.

Edit: Wow, I wasn't.

Moonwolf727
2012-12-27, 09:20 PM
THIS IS HOW IT WORKS.

1. Create a standard lv2 rogue
2. Apply all of the modifiers and special traits that you see in that description.
3. Play the game.

As for what level you are considered, here is the explanation for that. You are a lv6 character. That is because you are a lv2 rouge +4LA. You do not get hit dice for LA, you do not get anything other than the bonuses for being a pixie. +4LA is just the price you pay for having all those delicious pixie bonuses.

You level up as if you were a lv6 character, that is because you ARE for all intents and purposes (Except feats and HD etc) a lv6 character.

EDIT: Damnit ninja'd

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-27, 09:30 PM
Thank you both... just 1 or 2 follow up questions..

As for what level you are considered, here is the explanation for that. You are a lv6 character. That is because you are a lv2 rouge +4LA. You do not get hit dice for LA, you do not get anything other than the bonuses for being a pixie. +4LA is just the price you pay for having all those delicious pixie bonuses.

so i don't get the 2 feats at lvl 3 and 6? neither the +1 Ability point at 4???
would i get those if i went with the S.S. pg 190 version?

Your character would have 2 hit dice (the rogues).

that include the following from the description????
(A pixie character exchanges its 1 HD of fey for its first class level)

nyjastul69
2012-12-27, 09:43 PM

You would gain your feats at ECL 7 and ECL 10. Think of the +4 LA as dead levels in this regard. You traded away 4 character levels for the pixie's abilities. In regards to your second question, yes it includes the exchanged HD. This is an advantage for you compared to many other +LA creatures, many come with more than 1 racial HD and those can't be swapped out.

Edit: I forgot to address the ability bump. You get this at ECL 8. If all you do is take levels in other classes from this point on you can easily track these by considering only your actual character levels for feats and ability bumps, pretty much all level related things. You are still considered 4 levels higher for experience points though.

Not sure on the SS stuff. I'll have to look to see how it was broken down. Do realize that SS is a 3.0 book and may take some slight tweaking to conform to 3.5 rules.

TuggyNE
2012-12-27, 10:21 PM
Edit: I forgot to address the ability bump. You get this at ECL 8. If all you do is take levels in other classes from this point on you can easily track these by considering only your actual character levels for feats and ability bumps, pretty much all level related things. You are still considered 4 levels higher for experience points though.

To be precise, you get it at character level 4, which happens (due to having LA +4) to be ECL 8. Similarly with the feats.

Also, LA buyoff (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) may be of interest.

Moonwolf727
2012-12-27, 10:27 PM

I don't think I explained clearly enough. When figuring out feats and ability points just ignore the +4LA. So without the LA you are a lv2 rogue. This means that upon leveling up you would gain a feat just like a normal 3rdlv character. Leveling up again would get you the ability increase just like normal as well. The LA does nothing to your level and leveling benefits except for determining how much experience you need.

Getting the SS version would be pointless. SS is just made so that you can play a monster race right from first level alongside the other players without being overpowered at first.

Just to be extra clear on HD, You only gain Hit dice for class levels. You do not get HD for your LA. You start with two HD from your rogue levels and no extra from your LA, from then on you gain HD normally whenever you level up.

nyjastul69
2012-12-27, 10:37 PM
I don't think I explained clearly enough. When figuring out feats and ability points just ignore the +4LA. So without the LA you are a lv2 rogue. This means that upon leveling up you would gain a feat just like a normal 3rdlv character. Leveling up again would get you the ability increase just like normal as well. The LA does nothing to your level and leveling benefits except for determining how much experience you need.

Getting the SS version would be pointless. SS is just made so that you can play a monster race right from first level alongside the other players without being overpowered at first.

Just to be extra clear on HD, You only gain Hit dice for class levels. You do not get HD for your LA. You start with two HD from your rogue levels and no extra from your LA, from then on you gain HD normally whenever you level up.

This is correct. The rules themselves can be found on pg. 290 of the MM or here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#levelAdjustmentandEffectiveC haracterLevel) in the SRD.

Edit: Crikey! I thought I was responding to a post by hxolhpths. :smallredface: The references may be of use though. The good thing about the MM description is that it includes an example creature.

Originally posted by Tuggyne:
To be precise, you get it at character level 4, which happens (due to having LA +4) to be ECL 8. Similarly with the feats.

Ah, fair enough. ;)

Metahuman1
2012-12-28, 12:40 AM
I'd suggest nabbing a couple of flaws for bonus feats. Makr them minor ones though so you don't screw yourself.

Now, nab some Yummy feats. TWF, Craven and weapons Finesse would be solid.

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-28, 01:23 AM
just 1 last question, so i don't have to create a separate post...
does my load (light,heavy etc etc) affects my fly speed???
i mean.. is there a limit that if i carry then i can't fly?
or i can always fly but the normal penalties in PhB apply to my Fly Speed too?

PS: thnx all you ve been extremely helpful :)

PS2: A pixie flying makes noise??? i need to roll move silently when i m invis &
trying to sneak to or past a creature?????

Moonwolf727
2012-12-28, 01:56 AM

PS: thnx all you ve been extremely helpful :)

PS2: A pixie flying makes noise??? i need to roll move silently when i m invis &

I believe you just apply the movement penalties to your fly speed as you would to your land speed. Also you can't fly with a load higher than your max, I think that's what it is anyway.

TuggyNE
2012-12-28, 02:09 AM

You can't fly if you have more than a light load, according to the Fly special ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly).

Well, flapping wings are audible. I think there's some article somewhere that suggests considering flying roughly the same as walking on firm ground without anything obvious to make noise: you might get a small circumstance bonus at the most. (And after all, pixies already get a fair-sized bonus to Move Silently just from having +8 Dex.)

TypoNinja
2012-12-28, 02:34 AM
You can't fly if you have more than a light load, according to the Fly special ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#fly).

There are feats to allow you to fly at medium and heavy load if this is a problem, Reinforced Wings and Heavyweight Wings.

However they both possess STR score requirements, and well as a pixie, your STR probably sucks.

Andezzar
2012-12-28, 03:44 AM
You do not get hit dice for LA, you do not get anything other than the bonuses for being a pixie.You do get Wealth By Level of a 6th level character, if that system is used at your table.

AlanBruce
2012-12-28, 04:46 AM
Also, as a pixie rogue, carrying over your weight limit should not even be considered. You are designed to be light footed and fast. That way you can strike while invisible without any penalties. A pixie is small (although I could've sworn they were tiny), so paying extra for reduced versions of a shortsword or dagger should not eat through your WBL (as a 6th level character). If you are interested in carrying a lot of weight (loot), get yourself a bag of holding or a handy haversack, wealth permitting.

Also, craven is a very good feat, however you will only be doing 2 extra points of damage as a 2nd level rogue. Might want to wait until a few more levels for the damage to be really significant. Then again, better have it now and not worry about it later if you are planning to enter a prestige class.

Andezzar
2012-12-28, 01:20 PM
Also, craven is a very good feat, however you will only be doing 2 extra points of damage as a 2nd level rogue. Might want to wait until a few more levels for the damage to be really significant. Then again, better have it now and not worry about it later if you are planning to enter a prestige class.While the up to 20 extra damage on sneak attack is nice the drawbacks are significant: -2 on Will Saves vs. Fear effects and you do not get the benefit of the feat as long as you are immune to fear.