PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic Specalist

killem2
2012-12-27, 10:21 PM
I'm trying to see the potential in this AFC, but I am failing. It only says that it lets you apply a metamagic feat to a spell with out increasing its cast time. So I still assume you still have to obey the increase in spell slot?

So what's the point?

I have to be reading this wrong.

fryplink
2012-12-27, 10:35 PM
Spontaneous Casters who apply meta-magic to their Standard Action casting time spells increase the casting time to a full action, depriving them of their move action. It also means that the spell can't be usefully quickened.

This feat allows them to cast their spells without elevating the casting action, allowing them to use their move action, usefully quicken a spell, or both.

You do still have to obey the increased spell slot. If you want to reduce that, try Arcane Thesis (for a specific spell) or Easy Metamagic (for a specific metamagic).

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-28, 05:48 AM
Yeah, the main uses are so a Sorcerer can have a few Quickened spells a day, or one who specializes in Summon Monster spells can metamagic them without increasing the casting time to two whole turns.

Kumori
2012-12-28, 05:57 AM
I don't think I've ever noticed that part of spontaneous spellcasting which increases the casting time of longer-than-a-standard-action spells by another full round.... I had assumed spells (wrongly) that spells which were already a full round action were still a full round action when meta'd.

This brings a new question for me... this wouldn't stack though, would it? Say an empowered and maximized fireball. Standard action casting becomes full-round, but does it then become 2 rounds when the second meta is applied? (sorry if I'm derailing a little)

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-28, 05:59 AM
No, the only thing that matters is if the answer to the question "Are you using metamagic?" is Yes or No. Either the spell takes the normal amount of time to cast, or it takes the longer amount (which depends on the original casting time).

Phaederkiel
2012-12-29, 08:28 PM
where is easy metamagic from?

because practical metamagic, which has this effect, has a very steep requirement cost.

rot42
2012-12-30, 03:33 PM
where is easy metamagic from?

because practical metamagic, which has this effect, has a very steep requirement cost.

Dragon 325 p. 62. Only prerequisite is that you cannot take it without having a metamagic feat to which to apply it. Does not stack with itself.