PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite Spell Combos?

silverwolfer
2012-12-28, 02:47 AM
I think my favorite is putting a glyph on a frisbee and throwing it down a dark hallway and have it go boom when it picks up intruders.

Story
2012-12-28, 03:22 AM
Web + Fire spells. Especially since there's no reflex save for the burning web damage.

Venger
2012-12-28, 04:03 AM
sonorous hum + body harmonic

target automatically takes 1d10 ability damage to each ability in synch (always pick con first to make the subsequent fort saves harder to make) for 1 rd/lvl while you run away, buff allies, debuff the target further, lay down battlefield control, hide, or do whatever the hell else you want to, sonorous hum concentrates for you so you don't have to. target has to keep saving every round till the spell runs out. absolutely glorious spell to extend.

win D&D.

Arcanist
2012-12-28, 04:06 AM
Forcecage + 2 casings of Create Water (one at CL 20 and the other at CL 19) to drown the creature. Loving that No-Save, just die combo :smallamused:

VGLordR2
2012-12-28, 04:59 AM
Love's Pain and Mindrape is a classic.

I'm also a fan of Flesh to Stone->Transmute Rock to Mud->Purify Food and Drink, then using the resulting water as a material component for Mirror Move. It's an inefficient and completely hilarious way to dispose of someone rather permanently. I don't think there's any way to come back after being used as a material component, not even through divine intervention.

Felandria
2012-12-28, 05:04 AM
Mine's a simple one.

Spectral Hand + Shocking Grasp/Vampiric Touch

Venger
2012-12-28, 05:04 AM
Forcecage + 2 casings of Create Water (one at CL 20 and the other at CL 19) to drown the creature. Loving that No-Save, just die combo :smallamused:

interesting.

does forcecage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forcecage.htm) not block line of effect? I was under the impression it did.

the barred version says all spells can pass through it, but the windowless version has no such addendum. this led me to believe that it blocked line of effect (presumably yours and your quarry's)

was it errataed someplace? I ask because if it allows line of effect to remain unbroken, can't your target just zap you right back if you're out of swift actions because of reasons or are out of quickened spells for the day? makes poor forcecage even harder to use

JaronK
2012-12-28, 05:38 AM
Spectral Hand + Shivering Touch. Instant dragon killer.

Explosive Runes + More Explosive Runes. Set 'em off to kill everything.

Shrink Item + Spider Climb. Heh.

Haunt Shift + Harden. Become an invincible mecha.

JaronK

Arcanist
2012-12-28, 06:15 AM
interesting.

does forcecage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forcecage.htm) not block line of effect? I was under the impression it did.

It doesn't block line of sight since wall of force does not block line of sight and the text for windowless Forcecage is effectively 6 walls of forced glued together. It's a fun trick to pull with an Arcane-Divine Theurge since you can do it in core with little to no optimization. :smalltongue:

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-28, 06:24 AM
Explosive Runes + Summon Monster (celestial monkeys). Give runes to monkeys, have them kamikaze charge the target, read runes.

The guy in my group currently playing the Malconvoker is now known to summoned creatures by the nickname "The Exploder" because of this.

Esgath
2012-12-28, 06:45 AM
Anticipate Teleportation (Greater) + Dimension Shuffle. Finish some of them now, the rest of them later.

Yuki Akuma
2012-12-28, 07:17 AM
Flesh to Stone > Stone to Mud > Purify Food and Drink

Probably doesn't work but it's funny damnit.

ShriekingDrake
2012-12-28, 07:46 AM
Shrink Item + Spider Climb. Heh.
JaronK

My curiosity is aroused . . . joke or am I overlooking something?

Togo
2012-12-28, 07:47 AM
It doesn't block line of sight since wall of force does not block line of sight and the text for windowless Forcecage is effectively 6 walls of forced glued together.

Wall of force blocks line of effect, with a special exemption for gaze attacks.

My favourite combination is shadow conjuration + leomund's secure shelter, for a fairly decent combat spell.

TuggyNE
2012-12-28, 09:04 PM
It doesn't block line of sight since wall of force does not block line of sight and the text for windowless Forcecage is effectively 6 walls of forced glued together. It's a fun trick to pull with an Arcane-Divine Theurge since you can do it in core with little to no optimization. :smalltongue:

As mentioned, you're looking for line of effect, not line of sight. Spells nearly always need line of effect (and often line of sight as well), so no, windowless forcecage will specifically and very definitely not work for this.

jaybird
2012-12-28, 09:56 PM
Hail of Stone and Wall of Sound...anything in 10 ft goes away :smallamused:

navar100
2012-12-28, 10:07 PM
Harm + Inflict Minor Wound

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-28, 10:24 PM
Flash flood + Cone of cold.

Instant baddy popsicles.

Some terrain alterations may be required.

gorfnab
2012-12-29, 01:16 AM
Revenance + Revivify

Aegis013
2012-12-29, 01:34 AM
Revenance + Revivify

I saw this used to amazing effect in my last campaign. Both the Cleric and the Duskblade were saved by the Wizard/Rainbow Servant using this combo.

Haste plus Dragonfire Inspiration with Inspirational Boost is one of mine, even though I just watched my party use it while DMing, and DFI isn't actually a spell.

Arcanist
2012-12-29, 05:56 AM
As mentioned, you're looking for line of effect, not line of sight. Spells nearly always need line of effect (and often line of sight as well), so no, windowless forcecage will specifically and very definitely not work for this.

I'm confused by Create Water's effect here:

A line of effect is a straight, unblocked path that indicates what a spell can affect.

but create water simply makes the water appear in the designated space. Does the water spring forth from the casters hand like a geyser to conjure the required water or does it simply make water appear where the caster demands?

Not being argumentative here, just curious :smallconfused:

TuggyNE
2012-12-29, 06:02 AM
Does the water spring forth from the casters hand like a geyser to conjure the required water or does it simply make water appear where the caster demands?

The latter, I think. But just as you can't evoke a fire storm past a solid barrier, you can't create water beyond one either. That is, whether the effect visibly moves toward the destination in some way, or is simply created in place, the spell energy needs an unbroken path. In that way, LoE is much like range: spells just don't work outside it.

Arcanist
2012-12-29, 06:05 AM
The latter, I think. But just as you can't evoke a fire storm past a solid barrier, you can't create water beyond one either. That is, whether the effect visibly moves toward the destination in some way, or is simply created in place, the spell energy needs an unbroken path. In that way, LoE is much like range: spells just don't work outside it.

Ah, that actually makes sense, much to my dismay :smallannoyed:

JaronK
2012-12-29, 08:53 AM
My curiosity is aroused . . . joke or am I overlooking something?

It's just that you shrink a big rock, climb up onto the ceiling (in a big cavern or something, many adventures happen underground), and drop the rock on someone to squish them. Has a very Loony Toons feel. Note that if you do this outdoors, you just need to use Alter Self to fly above them instead. But it's funnier when it's some annoying Wizard walking on the ceiling dropping giant boulders on people.

JaronK

ShriekingDrake
2012-12-29, 10:04 AM
Thanks. That makes sense.

Amphetryon
2012-12-29, 12:05 PM
Disintegrate + Gust of Wind (someone had to).

Evard's Black Tentacles + Manyjaws. Here, have some pain, with a side order of pain.

Flickerdart
2012-12-29, 12:11 PM
My favourite that I've actually pulled off is Twin Split Ray Spellwarped Cyclonic Blast to push lots of people through a Prismatic Wall. Pew, pew, pew, pew!

Story
2012-12-29, 12:19 PM
How about Illusionary Wall + Prismatic Wall. Especially priceless against someone who thinks they're invincible due to Diamond Mind.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-29, 01:53 PM
I'm rather fond of Quickened Cloudkill+Forcecage.

Archmage1
2012-12-29, 02:13 PM
I like celerity + contingency

Or grease + gust of wind

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-12-29, 02:35 PM
Sudden Max Time Stop + 5x Delayed Blast Fireballs is always a blast. Sure, it's inefficient as heck, but amusing to use.

Cloudkill + Forcecage (solid walls, encasing target with the cloudkill) is always lulzworthy

Rope Trick + Portable Hole used to be a riot back in 2e, when Bad Things happened to people nearby.

I still liked Symbol of Insanity + super-ball.

Radar
2012-12-29, 03:11 PM
Haunt Shift + Harden. Become an invincible mecha.
Add Alter Self on top of it and roll out. :smalltongue:

I'd add a psionic power combination, which is downright hilarious, if quite well known:
Forced Dream + Time Hop

Less overpowerd, but an amusing trick:
Explosive Runes + Clairvoyance
Examples: a lead-linen cigarette filled with runes on the inside or pebbles inside cornerstones of your fake wizardry tower.

Story
2012-12-29, 03:27 PM
You can remotely detonate explosive runes using a cantrip, Amanuensis.

JaronK
2012-12-29, 04:43 PM
Add Alter Self on top of it and roll out. :smalltongue:

Hmm, would you lose your Hardness if you did that? I'm not quite sure... it's not a racial trait exactly. Weird.

JaronK

Norin
2012-12-29, 04:51 PM
Hmm, would you lose your Hardness if you did that?

Trying desperately to not joke about losing hardness and suggesting little blue pills.

Please, do carry on with the topic.

Anyways, i'm a sucker for simple (and possibly over-used) combos like web + fireball and such.

hymer
2012-12-29, 05:05 PM
What's so good about burning web, pardon my asking? According to my PHB, it only does 2d4 damage to those caught. Now I can see a few cases when you'd like to do it, but as a sort of combo with fireball? I don't get it. Cast a scorching ray instead if you want to do fire damage.

CockroachTeaParty
2012-12-29, 05:12 PM
Does Revenance + Revivify actually work? Seems a little against the spirit of Revivify, but still… could be a useful combo...

Norin
2012-12-29, 05:13 PM
What's so good about burning web, pardon my asking? According to my PHB, it only does 2d4 damage to those caught. Now I can see a few cases when you'd like to do it, but as a sort of combo with fireball? I don't get it. Cast a scorching ray instead if you want to do fire damage.

It's not optimized, it's just fun.

It's something that stuck with me since BG2-SoA i think.

Story
2012-12-29, 05:18 PM

It's effectively more than that because there's no reflex save for half, so no evasion.

Also, if you can catch a large creature in the web, they get burnt by multiple squares, meaning you can do massive amounts of damage, especially for a level 2 spell.

Also, also, nothing's stopping you from casting scorching ray too. The web damage is pure bonus, since you probably want to immobile your enemies anyway.

navar100
2012-12-29, 05:18 PM
Trap the Soul + Enticing Gift

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-12-29, 05:26 PM
Explosive Runes + minimal CL Dispel Magic. LOTS of Explosive Runes. Big ol' kaboom.

hymer
2012-12-29, 05:26 PM
It's effectively more than that because there's no reflex save for half, so no evasion.

Sure. But it's 5 points of damage. 5. Fire damage, too.

Also, if you can catch a large creature in the web, they get burnt by multiple squares, meaning you can do massive amounts of damage, especially for a level 2 spell.

It doesn't say you take that damage per 5' square that burns. It says you take that damage if you get caught in a burning web. So if you burn the web away little by little you might get that effect if the DM feels so inclined, but not with a fireball that burns the whole web away in one round.

Also, also, nothing's stopping you from casting scorching ray too. The web damage is pure bonus, since you probably want to immobile your enemies anyway.

If you want to immobilize them, you probably shouldn't set your web on fire and set them loose. Anyway, if you cast Scorching Ray at the web, you burn some of the web, but not the guy caught in it. If you attack the guy, you don't burn the Web.

TuggyNE
2012-12-29, 05:56 PM
How about Illusionary Wall + Prismatic Wall. Especially priceless against someone who thinks they're invincible due to Diamond Mind.

Are you thinking good ol' AGC here? :smallwink:

Story
2012-12-29, 06:29 PM
Are you thinking good ol' AGC here? :smallwink:

Guilty.

If you want to immobilize them, you probably shouldn't set your web on fire and set them loose. Anyway, if you cast Scorching Ray at the web, you burn some of the web, but not the guy caught in it. If you attack the guy, you don't burn the Web.

My DM ruled that if you attacked someone in the web with a fire spell, it also burnt the squares they were in, doing additional damage. But I can see how this isn't really supported by rules.

TheifofZ
2012-12-29, 06:33 PM
Magic Jar+ Death throes: Take control of enemy minion. Cast Death throes as the minion. Kill yourself in group of other minions. Return to Jar and laugh. Fun times.

Evard's Black Tentacles+ Boiling Blood: Good luck doing anything but dying slowly.

Cruel Disappointment+Disintegrate: Need two casters to cast in a row. Target fails will save on Cruel Disappointment, auto-fails next roll. Next roll is the save to Disintegrate.

navar100
2012-12-29, 10:16 PM
Dispel Magic + Shatter

Wookie-ranger
2012-12-29, 11:16 PM

Isn't Amanuensis a level 3 spell?

VGLordR2
2012-12-29, 11:19 PM
Isn't Amanuensis a level 3 spell?

It was updated. (http://dndtools.eu/spells/spell-compendium--86/amanuensis--3785/)

hisnamehere
2012-12-29, 11:26 PM
Spider Climb + Jump = jumping spider

Grease + anything...I love that spell.
Grease + Bull rush = push really big things around

Venger
2012-12-29, 11:52 PM
transcend mortality + pact of return

wu jen with arcane disciple (spite) = winning

Story
2012-12-30, 12:29 AM
Why take Spite when you can take Luck instead? Miracle duplicated Pact of Return anyway.

Winter_Wolf
2012-12-30, 12:35 AM
Grease + Burning Hands, but I don't know if that works anymore. The party wizard used to drop that on goblinoids and watch them burn. He was CE, after all.

Pyromancer999
2012-12-30, 12:37 AM
Essence of the Dragon + Alter Self = low-level dragon transformation

Also, although specific to one campaign that used the 3e version of core spells, but allowed all 3e and 3.5e supplements:

Wraithstrike + Haste + Body of War (+ Bull's Strength) = Death Machine, especially with an artificer in the party.

Venger
2012-12-30, 01:33 AM
Why take Spite when you can take Luck instead? Miracle duplicated Pact of Return anyway.

mainly because it uses a 9th and a 7th instead of 2 9ths, but yeah, miracle does also work.

hamiltond465
2012-12-30, 03:11 AM
Create pit + create water + greater summon swarm

A slightly homebrewed summon swarm, but we used this to hold a kobold by his ankle over a pool of piranhas. He cracked pretty quick after our DM laughed his ass off.
It was good thing we had multiple people there to create water though, the pit only lasted a turn or two past the piranha summoning.

Also, floating disks + a band of halflings.

Floating disks hang 3 feet in the air, halflings are 2'8'' feet tall.
Used to great effect as very sturdy umbrellas and to stack halflings atop each other.
Rocks fall, everyone dies; never again!

Story
2012-12-30, 03:39 AM
Good thing the Kobold didn't have enough Knowledge (Nature) to realize that the piranhas probably wouldn't attack. Though actually, without modern media, I'm not sure how the misconception would arise in the first place.

hamiltond465
2012-12-30, 03:44 AM
Good thing the Kobold didn't have enough Knowledge (Nature) to realize that the piranhas probably wouldn't attack. Though actually, without modern media, I'm not sure how the misconception would arise in the first place.

That so?
Good thing nobody in my group had the knowledge(Nature) for that check either.
We did do quite a fair bit of hamming while we filled the pit with water though, so it may not have mattered either way.

TuggyNE
2012-12-30, 04:07 AM
That so?
Good thing nobody in my group had the knowledge(Nature) for that check either.
We did do quite a fair bit of hamming while we filled the pit with water though, so it may not have mattered either way.

Yeah, piranhas are mostly motivated by blood in the water. (Not the ToB stance.)

Radar
2012-12-30, 07:48 AM
Amanuensis has a range of Close, so not as good as Clairvoyance. I was thinking more about remote bombing. It's still more reliable then Dispell Magic.

Deophaun
2012-12-30, 07:54 AM
Amanuensis has a range of Close, so not as good as Clairvoyance. I was thinking more about remote bombing. It's still more reliable then Dispell Magic.
Depending on how your DM treats reading an explosive rune, Clairvoyance will only trigger one explosive rune on an item before it explodes. With amanuensis, you can put a bunch of runes on a single scroll and have them all go off. Why do 6d6 damage when you can do 60 X 6d6?

hamiltond465
2012-12-30, 09:32 AM
Depending on how your DM treats reading an explosive rune, Clairvoyance will only trigger one explosive rune on an item before it explodes. With amanuensis, you can put a bunch of runes on a single scroll and have them all go off. Why do 6d6 damage when you can do 60 X 6d6?
I think my DM would say something like 'Right, so, make 59 concentration checks to avoid reading the previously inscribed runes'. Still, might try to roll them anyway!

Deophaun
2012-12-30, 10:10 AM
I think my DM would say something like 'Right, so, make 59 concentration checks to avoid reading the previously inscribed runes'. Still, might try to roll them anyway!
If they're your explosive runes, you (and anyone else you exempt at the casting of the spell) can read them without triggering them. Surprisingly, the spell was supposed to actually protect secrets, not be used as an offensive weapon. Crazy game designers.

Story
2012-12-30, 12:25 PM
How do you use Explosive Runes in practice? You can't use them on anything you want to stay intact, like your spellbook, so it seems pretty much limited to disposable bombs.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-12-30, 12:59 PM

Along that same line... Illusionary Wall + Symbols. The only ones at risk are the ones running around with True Sight!

How do you use Explosive Runes in practice? You can't use them on anything you want to stay intact, like your spellbook, so it seems pretty much limited to disposable bombs.

They are used for Information Denial. You put them on something you don't want someone to read, and would rather have destroyed than fall into the wrong hands, or for clever traps.

But hey, putting a few hundred in a book, then dropping something to trigger them all down makes for a fun explosive device.

Story
2012-12-30, 01:52 PM
You could also just use Invisible Spell to hose true seers. The only real problem is the feat cost.

Radar
2012-12-30, 03:47 PM
You could also just use Invisible Spell to hose true seers. The only real problem is the feat cost.
Invisible Spell is so hilariously broken, that it's hardly a cost and it's a +0 metamagic to boot.

Woooo my spells are invisible! :elan:

elonin
2012-12-30, 04:01 PM
If they're your explosive runes, you (and anyone else you exempt at the casting of the spell) can read them without triggering them. Surprisingly, the spell was supposed to actually protect secrets, not be used as an offensive weapon. Crazy game designers.

Really? This spell deals more damage than the iconic fire ball.

ShriekingDrake
2012-12-30, 05:02 PM
Snowsight + Obscuring Snow are quite an awesome combo, especially if you can give Snowsight to your allies.

Deophaun
2012-12-30, 05:18 PM
You can't use them on anything you want to stay intact, like your spellbook.
Make you spellbook out of metal (hardness 8). Cast hardening on it (+5 hardness minimum). Augment Object (26 hardness minimum, 1 day/level). Hope you don't roll exceptionally well on the explosive rune damage.

Saintheart
2012-12-30, 10:00 PM
Wall of Sand + Wall of Thorns on the same squares at the same time via a summoned greenbound creature for the Wall of Thorns.

The party is now blinded, deafened, taking damage from thorns, and has to make successive STR checks to break free of both. And even if they make the save they still have to take a full-round action to get free of the walls.

Story
2012-12-30, 10:20 PM
I assume you mean the enemies, not the party?

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-30, 10:49 PM
Reverse gravity + dismiss + more reverse gravity.

Although the combo is most killer indoors, I have found that it can be epic crowd control outdoors, too. One of my characters coming through a portal with enemies close behind chucked a quaal's feather token tree down, cast the reverse gravity, watched the tree fall up to the extent of the spell, then the enemies came through the portal, fell up onto the tree, which an ally proceeded to set on fire for good measure. Then the caster dismissed reverse gravity, all the enemies fell onto each other (the biggest one crushed a bunch of the others right away), then the tree fell onto the enemies (the tree the item creates is crazy big, too).

Next, cast it again. I think a second tree token was used, but at this point it was more because of the humorous nature of the effect than any need to deal additional damage.

Reverse gravity can be lots of fun to combine with other spell effects, as well. Just about any spell that creates something permanent and solid/heavy can be combo'd well with reverse gravity.

The Viscount
2012-12-31, 12:23 AM
Wrack+Invisible Blackfire. The target is left writhing in pain with no clear source. Anyone who comes to tend to the target or administer healing will suffer from Blackfire as well

dantiesilva
2012-12-31, 12:52 AM
Create water+Bless water a level 13 cleric doing so deals 54d4 to all undead in the area of the 26 gallons. Almost got to use it, but DM caught wind before I could set up the combo, my wall of stone and create water on a flat barren place gave it away.

Venger
2012-12-31, 01:33 AM
Wrack+Invisible Blackfire. The target is left writhing in pain with no clear source. Anyone who comes to tend to the target or administer healing will suffer from Blackfire as well

invisible fog cloud/obscuring mist/etc is also useful against enemies with true seeing (such as demons/devils). they're impeded, you're not!

TuggyNE
2012-12-31, 01:34 AM
Create water+Bless water a level 13 cleric doing so deals 54d4 to all undead in the area of the 26 gallons. Almost got to use it, but DM caught wind before I could set up the combo, my wall of stone and create water on a flat barren place gave it away.

Um.... 54d4? If it's anything like acid (and it is), it should cap at 20d4 for full immersion, or perhaps 10d6. 54d4 just isn't gonna happen.

Saintheart
2012-12-31, 02:12 AM
I assume you mean the enemies, not the party?

Depends on your PC's alignment :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Karoht
2013-01-02, 09:55 AM
Curse/Bless this thread for giving me so many ideas!

Toppling Spell (Spiritual Weapon) + Toppling Spell (Spiritual Ally)
Spectral Hand + Toppling Spell (Force Punch) + Toppling Spell (Twilight Knife)

Spectral Hand delivers the touch spell Force Punch (Standard Action). Target eats Force damage, and is knocked back. Toppling checks to knock prone. This triggers Twilight Knife (occurs automatically) which does Force damage, checks to knock prone. Spiritual Weapon (Move Action) and Spiritual Ally (Swift Action) then move into position and full attack, each hit dealing force damage and checking to knock prone.

Sure, it checks for Spell Resistance 4 times per round, but making the Spiked Chain Tripping focused Fighter stand there with his jaw on the floor totally made it worth having a book thrown at me. And I'm certain there are even more abuses of this combo possible. I'm looking at you, Melf's Unicorn Arrow.

The Viscount
2013-01-02, 12:34 PM
Morality Undone + Inner Beauty. Ruin any social character. If you're feeling particularly mean, add Cloak of Hate and False Lie.

Karoht
2013-01-02, 01:00 PM
Aqueous Orb + Stone Growth/Spikes
Collect bad guys in ball of water. Roll them across spikes. 1D4/1D8 per 5 feet, maximum roll distance per round of 30 feet. SR no, Reflex save to not be picked up, new Reflex save to get out every round, and some non-lethal damage on top just to be mean.

Aqueous Orb + Glyph of Warding
Roll the enemies through a minefield. At worst, they get out, and are now stuck in the middle of a minefield.

Meld with Stone + Project Image
Have an illusion of you running around casting spells while you are relatively safe hanging out in a block of stone. Fantastic for ambushes, or just any situation where you personally don't want to be near the fight.
PS-Trickery Devotion + Meld With Stone are wonderful. And you can in fact have both a Trickery Devotion clone and a Project Image active as far as I understand it.

AsteriskAmp
2013-01-02, 02:26 PM
Surge of Fortune and a Vorpal weapon.

Obscuring Snow - Blood Snow - Binding Snow
All the fun of frostburn now at your doorstep.

Guidance of the Avatar - Divine Insight
25+CL+CHA+Actual Ranks in any skill. Bluff and Diplomacy become even more trivial.
Or if you feel sorry for your bard/rogue; Imbue with SP ability - Guidance of the Avatar

GenericMook
2013-01-02, 03:09 PM
For the record, the Flesh to Stone -> Transmute Rock to Mud trick doesn't actually work, since TRtM requires unworked, nonmagical stone. Stone Shape, however, has no such limitations.

It's like a human shield, but with Wall of Stone! FtS -> Stone Shape has to be one of my personal favorites.

VGLordR2
2013-01-02, 04:46 PM
For the record, the Flesh to Stone -> Transmute Rock to Mud trick doesn't actually work, since TRtM requires unworked, nonmagical stone. Stone Shape, however, has no such limitations.

It's like a human shield, but with Wall of Stone! FtS -> Stone Shape has to be one of my personal favorites.

Technically, Flesh to Stone does not create magical stone. It took magic to turn the creature to stone, but it is an Instantaneous effect. This means that the magic makes a change, then no longer affects the target at all. Someone who is affected by Flesh to Stone is not reverted to their normal form when they are affected by Dispel Magic or an Antimagic Field, because the stone is not magical.

GenericMook
2013-01-02, 05:07 PM
Huh. My group always treats it as a magical effect/worked stone. I suppose, since the duration is Instantaneous, that makes sense.

Well, I suppose that makes sense, although I'd be a bit iffy about counting that stone as "natural, uncut or unworked rock."

VGLordR2
2013-01-02, 05:17 PM
Huh. My group always treats it as a magical effect/worked stone. I suppose, since the duration is Instantaneous, that makes sense.

Well, I suppose that makes sense, although I'd be a bit iffy about counting that stone as "natural, uncut or unworked rock."

I suppose there's some room for debate. I would simply allow it by rule of cool, even if the RAW is a little sketchy.

Karoht
2013-01-03, 10:09 AM
Wordcasting in Pathfinder has some fun combos.
Wall of Pain and Fear
(Barrier + Wrack + Fear)

It is very complicated spell casting, but it is also extremely versatile, giving room for fun combos. Sadly, I haven't seen many people discuss it.

The_Ditto
2013-01-03, 12:06 PM
Hmm, no psionics love :smalleek:

Death Urge + Deja Vu

I always liked Touchsight - not sure how to combo it really .. but Darkness effects or other mass area vision impairment works well. (ie obscuring mist)

Timehop

It's a combo by itself!! :smallbiggrin:
( I love that it affects objects - too much fun )

Charging Knight: Time hop his horse.
(Knight falls on ground, next round, horse runs him over) :smallcool:

sleyvas
2013-01-03, 06:39 PM
programmed image, to go off whenever you begin casting rope trick. Also, a low level "crafted contingent spell" that does darkness as well. The image is an orb of blackness from which each round some kind of evocative area effect goes off in the direction the mage was facting. Meanwhile, the mage crawls into the rope trick and buffs themselves to come out a few rounds later, hopefully while the party is wasting their best spells assaulting an empty area of darkness. NOTE: since programmed image isn't a spell that you can place on an item, this would be something that would be say in your home (for instance, if some reckless adventurers showed up and wanted to kill you).

nedz
2013-01-03, 08:10 PM
Flesh to Stone
Use a hammer and chisel to remove the nose
Stone to Flesh
?

MesiDoomstalker
2013-01-03, 08:35 PM
Acrane/Psionic Combo! Crisis of Breath+Hideous Laughter. Target dies dry heaving trying to laugh but being unable to breathe. They don't actually compliment each other, its more fluff. Fun to use though.

I used this combo when playing my Wall focused Wizard.

Energy Substitution (Acid) Empowered Extended Wall of Magma in a spiral pattern (to effectively trap but avoid Reflex checks)+Melf's Unicorn Arrow. Throw Earthbind and Dimensional Lock to prevent flying and teleporting your way out of the Lava Super MazeTM.

dantiesilva
2013-01-03, 10:46 PM
Um.... 54d4? If it's anything like acid (and it is), it should cap at 20d4 for full immersion, or perhaps 10d6. 54d4 just isn't gonna happen.

Bless water makes it act like holy water. Holy water deals 2d4 per vial. A vial holds 1 ounce of liquid. Their are 128 ounces in 1 gallon. At level 13 you multiply that by 13. So your right it does do more then 54d4. Though if you can show me that ruling I would like to see it as it would help me in a latter battle where I plan on using this trick again. Because I do not see it anywhere in the PHB where holy water rules are stated.

TuggyNE
2013-01-04, 01:02 AM
Bless water makes it act like holy water. Holy water deals 2d4 per vial. A vial holds 1 ounce of liquid. Their are 128 ounces in 1 gallon. At level 13 you multiply that by 13. So your right it does do more then 54d4. Though if you can show me that ruling I would like to see it as it would help me in a latter battle where I plan on using this trick again. Because I do not see it anywhere in the PHB where holy water rules are stated.

The point is, holy water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#holyWater) is described as acting much like acid, and acid, lava, and all other contact-damage fluids have a cap for immersion damage, which is generally ten times the damage for minimum contact. (The alternative is that only individual flasks can damage at all, and a stream of blessed water is irrelevant and does nothing.)

Vizzerdrix
2013-01-04, 05:56 AM
Forcecage+ Rock to Mud, then Mud to Rock (dropped the ceiling on him)

I pulled this in a PVP game with my old group to shut down the dude who was playing a barbarian. Left him in a 10x10x10 foot room with limited air. Good times :smallbiggrin:

Karoht
2013-01-04, 08:17 AM
Lava Super Maze totally deserves props. =D

Programmed Image-When Stone to Flesh is cast.
Stoneshape-Make a statue of yourself. Which you hide in an illusion of normal space.

When the party gets up in the morning, you cast Stone to Flesh on the statue, the Programmed Image goes off to show you being hit by some kind of nasty looking spell, and then the flesh puppet falls to the ground.

Great way to fake your death, mostly for pranking purposes. Combat applications are few, and difficult to set up, though I suppose Shrink Item would go a long way on that one.

MesiDoomstalker
2013-01-04, 01:09 PM
Lava Super Maze totally deserves props. =D
Much obliged.

koboldish
2013-01-05, 01:20 PM
I like silent image and silent image. Have passage that looks like a wall, and then a wall that looks like a passage. It's funny when people walk into walls :smallsmile:. Take away the wall and add a lava pit for more fun.

Story
2013-01-05, 01:45 PM
Take away the wall and add a prismatic wall for more fun.

Fixed that for you.

koboldish
2013-01-05, 02:44 PM

Story
2013-01-05, 03:00 PM
The best part is that you can stick it inside an AMF to make it much more deadly. Of course it's a lot harder to hide in an AMF because you can't have use illusions.

danzibr
2013-01-05, 05:30 PM
Some Tentacles have been mentioned, but here are some more.

Daltim's Fiery Tentacles + Solid Fog + Vortex of Teeth. That's some mean stuff.

Ryulin18
2013-01-05, 07:01 PM
My favourite pathfinder spell combo is Emergency Force Sphere (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/emergency-force-sphere) (that lasted 8 rounds) as he charged an unbeatable foe and then cast a a burning hands to use up all the air. Good suicide tactic.

dantiesilva
2013-01-05, 10:21 PM
The point is, holy water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#holyWater) is described as acting much like acid, and acid, lava, and all other contact-damage fluids have a cap for immersion damage, which is generally ten times the damage for minimum contact. (The alternative is that only individual flasks can damage at all, and a stream of blessed water is irrelevant and does nothing.)

Thank you was not aware. Learn something new every day

ScionoftheVoid
2013-01-06, 09:40 AM
My favourite pathfinder spell combo is Emergency Force Sphere (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/emergency-force-sphere) (that lasted 8 rounds) as he charged an unbeatable foe and then cast a a burning hands to use up all the air. Good suicide tactic.

May I ask how something can suffocate in eight rounds? In 3.5, at least:

Suffocation
A character who has no air to breathe can hold her breath for 2 rounds per point of Constitution. After this period of time, the character must make a DC 10 Constitution check in order to continue holding her breath. The save must be repeated each round, with the DC increasing by +1 for each previous success.

When the character fails one of these Constitution checks, she begins to suffocate. In the first round, she falls unconscious (0 hit points). In the following round, she drops to -1 hit points and is dying. In the third round, she suffocates.

The spell also mentions being watertight, but not necessarily airtight (and spells like Forcecage suggest that normal air can usually - or at least sometimes - pass through force effects).[/nitpicking]

For my own contribution, hemi-spherical Wall of Stone and Extended Vortex of Teeth would probably be quite fun. The wall takes less damage than the poor people inside due to hardness - obviously positioned so that the deathzone covers the space where the victims are trapped, with the safe spot outside or overlapping part of the wall. Basically any "stay still" spell and damage-over-time stuff is great, though.

Muktidata
2013-01-06, 09:55 AM
CORE3: I'm getting a lot of mileage out of Enlarge Person and Shileleagh using a large quarterstaff to do the damage of a Huge quarterstaff.

I'm a big fan of the following in tandem with each other:

- Launch Item - Just funny. I have thrown so many crazy things at people. Some of them mechanically harmful, some emotionally. 400+40/level range. :smalltongue:

- Caltrops - Combined with Invisible and Sculpt Spell, I love this spell. 10 squares of invisible Caltrops attacking out of invisibility (target denied dex).

- Blockade - Can funnel people to step on caltrops. Also gets very funny with Invisible Spell and Sculpt Spell. Who doesn't want a 5ft tall/wide 120ft. long invisible blockade? This spell can buy you the time to cast:

- Backbiter - A Sorceror with these spells/feats is just such a havoc-wrecker. "Stop hitting yourself!" Very funny, very annoying, even slightly useful.

Deophaun
2013-01-06, 10:27 AM
- Launch Item - Just funny. I have thrown so many crazy things at people. Some of them mechanically harmful, some emotionally. 400+40/level range. :smalltongue:
You mean 100 + 10/level range.

Thespianus
2013-01-06, 11:08 AM
Extended Hunter's Eye in previous round + Grease + Quickened Acid Splash.

A very poor use of 3 spells, perhaps, but it sure is fun killing something with a Cantrip. With Sneak Attack bonuses added, the actual spell damage (1D3) didn't really matter.

Karoht
2013-01-07, 11:00 AM
Arcane Fusion = Yes. So many fun things (yes, and broken things too, but fun things) one can do with an Arcane Fusion and a Quickened Arcane Fusion.

Dragonfire Inspiration (Bard Feat for their Inspire Courage) + Magic Missile. Currently getting 5D6 Fire added on to each target that takes a Magic Missile. Great for cleaning up extra mooks that show up unannounced from time to time.

Yuki Akuma
2013-01-07, 11:30 AM
Dragonfire Inspiration adds damage to attacks.

Magic Missile is not an attack. It doesn't require an attack roll.

Karoht
2013-01-07, 11:40 AM
Dragonfire Inspiration adds damage to attacks.

Magic Missile is not an attack. It doesn't require an attack roll.
Shooting a missile of force at someone isn't an attack? How do you figure?
By that logic it shouldn't break invisibility.
Oh WotC, how crazy your dictionary must be.

nedz
2013-01-07, 11:45 AM
...he deals an extra 1d6 points of fire damage with his weapons ...
Magic Missile is not a weapon, you would need a weapon like spell to obtain this benefit. These are spells with an attack roll, as defined in CArc.

Karoht
2013-01-07, 11:51 AM
I stand corrected.

Segev
2019-02-20, 02:25 PM
Explosive runes is also a good impostor-detector. It doesn't have any clauses for it being fooled by disguises, so if you have a sign-in sheet with explosive runes on it, impostors who weren't the people they're pretending to be (despite those people being invited guests who were explicitly given leave to read the runes without setting them off) will have the sheet explode in their face. Arrest any survivors and put a fresh sheet out.

Malphegor
2019-02-20, 03:00 PM
Glyphs of Warding set to summon an evil monster, triggered when an evil monster comes within 5ft of them. I might be mistaken and summons aren't possible with the spellglyph part of Glyphs (the text to me implies that it it intended for regular evocation magic trap making but easily accessible for players) but it is fun to get masses of troops on the field quickly at fairly low levels for minimal cost. Very easy to abuse the action economy if you have a few days to prepare for your battle at the battlefield.

In my group a standard spell combo I've used is Grease plus any fire spell since my DM rules the Grease as being flammable and being like the higher level incendinary slime spell when on fire.

Another potentially fun combo is permament Animate Rope plus corpses. I haven't quite worked out the mechanics yet, but I think it should be possible to make weak 'puppet' equivalents to zombies if you had enough animated ropes under your control. Still working on this one, would be a good HD-less supplementary tactic for necromancers and those who prohibited necromancy.

unseenmage
2019-02-20, 04:25 PM
Energy Transformation Field with whatever spell you want in it + Summon Elysian Thrush. The thrush's song is a SU ability and its duration is long enough to fill and refill the ETF at least a couple times IIRC.

I do enjoy cramming True Creation for Shapesand and Quintessence for... well quintessence into Spell Clocks/self resetting magic traps alongside Awaken Sand/Minor Servitor clocks/traps respectively.

Animate Dead for a Zombie octopus plus Faliliar Pocket us super creepy. Giant Octopus zombie in a backpack gives you the most horrifying length of rope.

Segev
2019-02-20, 04:30 PM
I'm fond of energy transformation field + mass suggestion. "You must keep casting magic into this well/artifact/idol/permanent-fixture-of-some-sort or something terrible will happen." They keep casting magic in the field, and it keeps casting mass suggestion on them for it. Until they're out.

unseenmage
2019-02-20, 05:58 PM
I'm fond of energy transformation field + mass suggestion. "You must keep casting magic into this well/artifact/idol/permanent-fixture-of-some-sort or something terrible will happen." They keep casting magic in the field, and it keeps casting mass suggestion on them for it. Until they're out.
Since the field eats magic item activations and SU ability uses that could be pretty darn potent.
Might even get them to exhaust themselves with it.

I always wondered if there was a way to exploit overlapping ETFs for double transformative field goodness.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-02-20, 07:49 PM
I don't know if this qualifies as a combo, but Fell Frighten Kelgore's Grave Mist is oodles of fun. No save, penetrates spell resistance, and gives them three turns to figure out what's happening before they're trapped cowering inside the spell. And since I'm an undead Dread Witch, it ignores immunity to fear but still doesn't affect unliving creatures like me or my minions.

Roland St. Jude
2019-02-20, 08:24 PM
Explosive runes is also a good impostor-detector. It doesn't have any clauses for it being fooled by disguises, so if you have a sign-in sheet with explosive runes on it, impostors who weren't the people they're pretending to be (despite those people being invited guests who were explicitly given leave to read the runes without setting them off) will have the sheet explode in their face. Arrest any survivors and put a fresh sheet out.
Sheriff: Thread Necromancy is generally prohibited here.