PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Ranger Variant (3.5)

artofregicide
2012-12-28, 04:35 AM
This homebrew class is specific to a character that I'm trying to create. I've looked through several books and not really found a build which suits my purposes. I'm more going for flavor than optimization, but I'd still like to hear what people think. I'm hoping to create a character of close to equal usefulness and power to the vanilla Ranger.

I'm not new to D&D, but I am new to Giantitp, so I hope I'm not causing anyone to facepalm. Also PEACH always is appreciated.

Vigilante Ranger Variant

Fluff: Vigilantism is the act of taking justice into one's own hands. Sometimes this is violent and bloody revenge in a personal feud, yet it can also be a loyal citizen attempting to fight against crime or corruption where the authorities are unable or willing to do so. In order to survive this dangerous lifestyle, vigilantes pick up all manner of skills which allow them to find their foes before they find them. Often this class works alone, but a properly motivated vigilante can be an effective member of an adventuring team. If vigilante survives long enough, they will garner a reputation, as well as a great deal of insight into the ways of their chosen enemies. Vigilantes tend to play a hybrid role of rogue and ranger in combat, both capable of fighting in the shadows and in the open. Their limited use of magic focuses heavily on finding their opponents whilst remaining hidden. A vigilante's area of expertise is in populated areas, while not helpless in the wild, they are far less familiar with the territory.

Alignment: Any Non-Lawful

Fluff: Vigilantes tend to be at odds with society and government. While a vigilante doesn't necessarily oppose the ideals of the law, they tend to work outside of them. At best, a vigilante can be seen as a do-gooder who breaks the law in order to better serve it. At worst, they can be criminals, terrorists, or anarchists.

HD: D8

Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Class Skills: Climb, Concentration, Craft, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Hide, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (local), Knowledge (architecture), Knowledge (Nobility), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Spot, Swim, Tumble, and Use Rope.

Table: Vigilante Ranger
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |1st|2nd|3rd|4th

1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Sworn Enemy (1st Alignment), Urban Tracking, Read Body Language |—|—|—|—

2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Combat Style|—|—|—|—

3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Improved Initiative|—|—|—|—

4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Sneak Attack +1d6|0|—|—|—

5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Sworn Enemy (2nd Alignment)|0|—|—|—

6th|+6/+1|+5|+5|+2|Improved Combat Style, Sneak Attack +2d6|1|—|—|—

7th|+7/+2|+5|+5|+2|Crowd Walker|1|—|—|—

8th|+8/+3|+6|+6|+2|Swift Tracker, Sneak Attack +3d6|1|0|—|—

9th|+9/+4|+6|+6|+3|Evasion|1|0|—|—

10th|+10/+5|+7|+7|+3|Sworn Enemy (Type), Sneak Attack +4d6|1|1|—|—

11th|+11/+6/+1|+7|+7|+3|Combat Style Mastery|1|1|0|—

12th|+12/+7/+2|+8|+8|+4|Vendetta, Sneak Attack +5d6|1|1|1|—

13th|+13/+8/+3|+8|+8|+4|Hidden Stalker|1|1|1|—

14th|+14/+9/+4|+9|+9|+4|Sneak Attack +6d6|2|1|1|0

15th|+15/+10/+5|+9|+9|+5|Sworn Enemy (Race)|2|1|1|1

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+10|+10|+5|Improved Evasion, Sneak Attack +7d6|2|2|1|1

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|Improved Hidden Stalker|2|2|2|1

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|Improved Vendetta, Sneak Attack +8d6|3|2|2|1

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|Bane of Enemies|3|3|3|2

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|Sworn Enemy (Creature or Class) Sneak Attack +9d6 |3|3|3|3

[/table]

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:

A vigilante is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and with light armor and shields (except tower shields).

Favored Enemy is replaced with Sworn Enemy: At 1st level, a vigilante chooses an alignment (Good, Evil, Neutral, Law, Chaos). They gain a +2 bonus on damage rolls, and on spot, listen, bluff, sense motive, and gather information checks against creatures of this alignment. At 5th, 10th, 15th, and 20th level, their bonus goes up by +2 to a total of +10. The damage bonus stacks with the specific bonuses below.

At 5th level, a vigilante chooses a specific alignment (LG, NG, CG, LN, TN, CN, LE, NE, CE). This must fall under the previous alignment chosen. (For Evil, LE, NE, or CE may be picked.) They gain a +2 damage bonus vs this type, as well as a +1 AC bonus against attacks by creatures of this specific alignment, and +1 on saving throws vs creatures of this alignment. (For instance, they gain +1 vs an Imp's poison, or a weapon poisoned with an Imp's poison, but not an unrelated poison on a weapon an Imp is holding.)

At 10th level, a vigilante chooses a specific type (Outsider, Construct, Humanoid, Giant, Fey, Animal, etc...) which they gain an additional +2 bonus on damage, and +1 on AC and saves. This applies only to creatures of the specific alignment picked at 2nd level, and stacks with all above bonuses. (For instance, CE Outsiders).

At 15th level, a vigilante chooses a specific sub-type (for Chaotic Evil Outsiders: Demons, or for Lawful Good Humanoids: Halflings) They gain the same +1 and +2 bonuses vs. these specific enemies, which again stack.

At 20th level, a vigilante chooses either a specific Monster/Creature (for Chaotic Evil Outsiders: Demon Balors) or for a race a specific class (Lawful Good Humanoids: Halfing Paladins). They gain the same bonuses vs these enemies, but as +4 damage, and on +2 AC and saves.

All bonuses stack, so against a Sworn Enemy of the correct alignment, type, race and creature/class, at 20th level, a vigilante would do +20 damage, +10 on the specific skill checks, +5 AC, and +5 on saves. Against the enemy race, they would have +16 damage, +10 on skills, +3 AC, +3 on saves. Etc...

Order of Sworn Enemy: 1st Alignment -> 2nd Alignment -> Type -> Race -> Specific Creature or Class

Fluff: Where motivated by hatred, self interest, or idealism, a vigilante focuses on fighting a particular alignment. Where this is a freedom fighter against the shackles of law, or a insidious infiltrator trying to bring down virtue, or even a seemingly contradictory persecutor of chaos, a vigilante focuses all their skill and ability in this pursuit. As they progress, a vigilante begins to narrow their search, until ultimately they single out a particular foe which they destroy with particular efficiency. Along the way, vigilantes become very adept at avoiding the attacks of their chosen enemies.

Urban Tracking (replaces Tracking): uses gather information instead of survival. Works within populations and cities instead of the wilderness. Refer to for Urban Tracking.

Swift Tracker: same as from Urban Ranger Variant

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#urbanTracking

Read Body Language: Replaces Wild Empathy, gain a +2 insight bonus on sense motive checks any living target within 30 feet and line of sight. Must study the subject for at least one round. Insight bonus lasts for 24 hours, and does not stack. Use is INT mod +5 a day.

Fluff: In the wilderness, the ability to read the environment and wildlife is crucial to survival. In an urban environment, the same is true about the population. The ability to detect subtle movements and unconscious expressions in a particular subject allows a vigilante to either root out liars or predict hostility before it arrives.

Combat styles remains mechanically the same as the vanilla Ranger.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm#combatStyle

Endurance is replaced with Improved Initiative. If Improved Initiative is already purchased, then the Ranger gains a free feat for which he qualifies.

Fluff: While not nearly as hardy as a Ranger, a vigilante is quick on their toes, and hopes to enter the fight faster than their opponents, cutting them down before they can react.

Animal Companion is replaced with sneak attack as per a rogue 3 levels lower, starting at 1d6 at 4th level, and going up every other level (2d6 at 6, 3d6 at 8, etc)

Fluff: A fair fight lost is still a lost fight. With life and death on the line, the ability to strike hard and leave lasting wounds is imperative to a vigilante. Much like a rogue, a vigilante can find weak points and brutally exploit them, albeit without quite the same degree of skill.

Crowd-Walker: replaces Woodland Stride (via Cityscape)

Hidden Stalker: replaces Camouflage and Improved Hidden Stalker replaces Hide in Plain Sight (via Cityscape)

Cityscape Link: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a (thanks Diovid)

Fluff: While a typical Ranger is at home in the forest, the desert, or the tundra, a vigilante stalks the streets of the Metropolis with the same degree of grace. Blending into crowds, navigating busy streets, and hiding in the shadows of the cityscape are all in a days work.

Evasion remains the same.

Improved Evasion: is gained at 16th level.

Vendetta: At 12th level, a vigilante can, as a standard action, declare a vendetta against one target within their line of sight. The target of the Vendetta is treated as one degree higher on their Sworn Enemy ability. For instance, an enemy which fulfills both their Alignments (Chaotic Evil) is now treated as also fulfilling Type (Chaotic Evil Outsider), garnering the same bonuses for this level, regardless the level of Sworn Enemy achieved. This does not affect creatures which fulfill all criteria of the vigilante's current Sworn enemy ability.

In addition, they receives a +2 insight bonus on attack rolls made against their vendetta, and all critical threats are automatically confirmed. A vigilante can have no more than one vendetta at a time and cannot select a creature of the opposite alignment to their original Sworn Enemy alignment (If Neutral is picked, this does not apply, obviously). They can dismiss this effect at any time as a free action, but they cannot select a new vendetta for 24 hours. If the vigilante sees proof that the target of their vendetta is dead or incapacitated, they can issue a new vendetta after waiting 1 hour.

Improved Vendetta: At 18th level, a vigilante can now select a vendetta against up to three targets, of any alignment. Their insight bonus to attack the target of their vendetta increases to +4. If the target of their vendetta is killed or incapacitated, they must wait 10 minutes. If dismissed, they can select a new one after 1 hour has passed.

Fluff: A vigilante marks some targets with a particular malice. Whether a vicious criminal or a paragon captain of the guard, or even a powerful outsider, a vigilante hounds the target of their vendetta until either they defeats them or make it impossible for the vigilante to further pursue.

Bane of Enemies a vigilante of 19th level gains a non-magical Fear Aura which affects all (Sworn) enemies within line of sight (the enemy must see the vigilante, the vigilante does not need to see the enemy). The DC for this Fear Aura is a will save calculated 10 + bonus damage done to the enemy of this type as per Sworn Enemy (For 1st alignment, that's +10, or a DC of 20. For specific creature or class, it's +20, DC 30).

If the vigilante's chosen Sworn Enemy type is immune to fear (plants, undead, constructs), then they must beat the same will save or refuse to approach any closer than 10 feet away or directly threaten the vigilante unless the they attacks them first. This is only applicable in combat. Outside of combat, a vigilante may add the same bonus (from +10 to +20) via Sworn Enemy to their intimidate check.

Adapted from:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger#TOC-Quarry-Ex-

Fluff: The greatest vigilantes gain a particularly strong reputation, that their enemies know their name and all the strongest amongst them dare to speak it. The mere sight of such a vigilante is enough to unnerve their foes, and even those enemies who cannot express or experience such emotion nevertheless avoid them if possible.

Spells per Day are the same as vanilla Ranger.

Attribute for Spell-casting: Intelligence, as the Assassin.

Spell List:

lvl 1: Alarm, Comprehend languages, Delay Poison, Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law, Detect Magic, Detect Poison, Detect secret doors, Ghost Sound, Hold Portal, Jump, Magic Weapon, Message, Pass without Trace, Resist Energy.

lvl 2: Cat's Grace, Cure Light Wounds, Detect Thoughts, Eagle's Splendor, Fox's Cunning, Invisibility, Knock, Locate Object, Protection from Energy, Snare, See Invisibility, Spider Climb

lvl 3: Cure Moderate Wounds, Discern lies, Magic Weapon Greater, Neutralize Poison, Remove Disease, Repel Vermin, Speak with Dead, Tongues, Water Walk

lvl 4: Arcane Eye, Cure Serious Wounds, Dimensional anchor, Freedom of Movement, Greater Invisibility, Locate creature, Mage's faithful hound, Nondetection, True seeing

Fluff: Vigilantes do not study magic, as a wizard, nor are innately magical like a sorcerer. Must like a bard, but whose art is violence, they pick up useful spells which assist them in their pursuits. While their scope is narrow, a vigilante's magic is one of their greatest assets.

Again, any advice, commentary, or criticism is welcome. If I've just reinvented the wheel, and there's a much better version of this same idea, by all means, link me to it. I'll be very grateful.

Well, this is my first official homebrew: here goes nothing!

NOTE: Significant edits have been made to post since original.

TuggyNE
2012-12-28, 04:55 AM
A bit of formatting (bold, sizing, etc) wouldn't hurt.

Alignment: Any Non-Evil

Not entirely sure why this is.

Favored Enemy: Same as vanilla, with the exception that specific types of enemies may be also added instead of races. Example: Serial Killers.

(This is by far one of the weakest mechanics, I'd love some help here)

I'd suggest adding a table of common types, making sure to avoid being either too specific ("only Water Half-Orcs who have killed at least five Strongheart Halflings in their beds with a piece of ribbon") or too general ("only creatures who have done something evil on purpose"). Aim for maybe a dozen or so to start with.

Read Body Language: Replaces Wild Empathy, use spot check to observe the general attitude of a target, must have line of sight within 30 feet. A target aware of observation can roll an opposed bluff check at -2. A successful check gives an insight bonus equal to 1/2 the Vigilante's level on sense motive checks on the specific target for 24 hours.

(I admit this is pretty lame, any suggestions to replace/improve it would be great.)

Not clear on what the Bluff check is opposed by, or who gets the -2 penalty. Also, the DC of an unaware target is not at all obvious.

An alternative might be to give 5+Int uses per day of automatic 1 hour insight bonus, or something along those lines.

Combat styles remain the same, though opening them up to a larger variety of weapons (as per Pathfinder or possibly 3.5 books I haven't read is quite acceptable).

There are some good homebrew alternative styles I'll try to dig up.

Animal Companion is replaced with sneak attack as per a rogue 3 levels lower, starting at 1d6 at lvl 4, and going up every other level (2d6 at 6, 3d6 at 8, etc)

Hmm. Under some circumstances, this could be quite powerful, and is definitely a lot more impressive than the animal companion. Half progression might be better than level -3, although it's not exactly overpowered as such.

lvl 4: Arcane Eye, Cure Serious Wounds, Dimensional anchor, Freedom of Movement, Greater Invisibility, Locate creature, Mage's faithful hound, Nondetection, True seeing

The number of normally-arcane spells here gives me pause, but it's not exactly unreasonable, just unusual. (And given the limited scope of this homebrew, there's no real need to worry about weird Archivist abuses, which I would otherwise flag.)

artofregicide
2012-12-29, 02:22 AM
Fixes suggested by Tuggyne made.

It's not perfect, certainly, but is it workable?

Admittedly, a lot of the spells on the ranger list are arcane divination spells that were suggested by the Urban Ranger Variant.

I'm pretty unaware of the Archivist, but I'm sure there's ways to break the class.

artofregicide
2013-01-01, 06:38 PM
More changes made:

Favored enemy I believe is an interesting idea, but possibly over-powered (Especially if used correctly, a +20 to damage on a specific enemy, and +10 on any old fool with the chosen alignment is pretty crushing. Or is it?)

I added a couple of new abilities to round the Ranger out, I kind of feel like the vanilla ranger is pretty under-powered once you get to higher levels. Nothing unbalancing, as far as I can tell.

A lot of my inspiration came from Pathfinder, but that's another story.

-Cheers!

Zman
2013-01-01, 06:47 PM
Nothing broken and still low Tier 4 as per the normal ranger. Favored enemy gets a sizable boost, and feels a bit general.

I don't really see a problem. In fact sneak attack helps make up for the weak combat ability of the ranger.

TuggyNE
2013-01-04, 03:49 AM
OK, another run through the current version.

At 15th level, a Vigilante chooses a specific sub-type (for Chaotic Evil Outsiders: Demons, or for Lawful Good Humanoids: Halflings) He gains the same +1 and +2 bonuses vs. these specific enemies, which again stack.

Presumably alignment subtypes can't be chosen for this. (I.e., you can't specific "CE Outsiders with the Evil subtype", because nearly all of them would have that.)

Also, some types don't have any useful subtypes, or only universal subtypes (such as Aberrations, which might be Aquatic, Psionic, Shapechanger, or even Evil, but are not really defined by those very effectively, or Undead, which don't usually have subtypes at all except for maybe Extraplanar or Incorporeal). From the examples, your intention was subtypes that indicate kind, but only maybe half the subtypes are actually for that purpose.

Urban Tracking (replaces Tracking): uses gather information instead of survival. Works within populations and cities instead of the wilderness. Refer to for Urban Tracking.

Hmm, needs a link?

Read Body Language: Replaces Wild Empathy, gain a +2 insight bonus on sense motive checks any living target within 30 feet and line of sight. Must study the subject for at least one round. Insight bonus lasts for 24 hours, and does not stack. Use is INT mod +5 a day.

Technically, insight bonuses never stack with each other anyway, so you don't need that note.

Endurance is replaced with Improved Initiative. If Improved Initiative is already purchased, then the Ranger gains a free feat.

"... for which he qualifies."

Bane of Enemies a Vigilante of 19th level gains a non-magical Fear Aura which affects all enemies within line of sight (the enemy must see the Vigilante, the Vigilante does not need to see the enemy). The DC for this Fear Aura is a will save calculated 10 + bonus damage done to the enemy of this type as per Sworn Enemy. If the Vigilante's chosen Sworn Enemy type is immune to fear (plants, undead, constructs), then they must beat the same will save or refuse to approach any closer than 10 feet away or directly threaten the Vigilante unless the he attacks them first.

The phrasing of the DC formula is a bit unclear. What's the DC for a CE Humanoid (elf) if the Vigilante selected TN Elemental (Air), for example? (For that matter, can they select TN?)

Damage output analysis (http://anydice.com/program/1b6b/graph)
Against an average* full Sworn Enemy at level 10 with Rapid Shot and a +1 Collision Splitting Composite Longbow with Sneak Attack triggering on all attacks, a Vigilante does an average of about 132 damage per full attack, which as it so happens is almost precisely the amount needed to drop an average* CR 10 enemy (rounded, also 132 HP). A Rogue 10 with the same gear and feats, but also Craven**, does 112 damage per full attack against the same enemy, but has a better opportunity to do sneak attack damage against otherwise-immune creatures with ACFs. A Vigilante with the same gear and feats, but without Craven, and attacking an enemy that isn't favored at all, does about 98 damage in a full attack.

*Composite of statistics from the SRD-core CR 10 monsters.
**Representing a roughly equal optimization effort: one extra-good feat, for one class variant.

artofregicide
2013-01-04, 06:06 PM
Thanks for your patience :smallwink:

Also, some types don't have any useful subtypes, or only universal subtypes (such as Aberrations, which might be Aquatic, Psionic, Shapechanger, or even Evil, but are not really defined by those very effectively, or Undead, which don't usually have subtypes at all except for maybe Extraplanar or Incorporeal). From the examples, your intention was subtypes that indicate kind, but only maybe half the subtypes are actually for that purpose.

My sworn enemy system is a little broken, I'm not entirely certain how to fix it, at the moment. It's really only problematic for certain enemies, later on. I'll have to get back to you on that. But the simple order of things is:

Alignment/2nd Alignment/Type/Race/Specific Creature or Class

It's not optimal, but it gets the spirit of the idea.

Hmm, needs a link?

Linked! (fixed)

Technically, insight bonuses never stack with each other anyway, so you don't need that note.

For idiots like me, it's still helpful.

The phrasing of the DC formula is a bit unclear. What's the DC for a CE Humanoid (elf) if the Vigilante selected TN Elemental (Air), for example? (For that matter, can they select TN?)

The DC would be: they can't use it. Their first picked alignment is neutral, then TN, so a Chaotic Evil creature (of any type) does not qualify.

They can pick TN, and Neutral. I've fixed that.

Damage output analysis

I'm 90% certain you're a wizard. That's pretty much amazing, and it's also more or less what I'm hoping for. Higher damage vs. specific enemies, and less than average damage against non-sworn enemies.

I admit, the wording of... everything is a bit abysmal, but my brain is kind of that way at the moment too...