PDA

View Full Version : Help with saves?

Zelkon
2012-12-28, 10:49 AM
Looking over my Level 24 Sha'ir 5 (good will)/sorcerer 2 (good will)/kobold paragon 3 (good ref/will)/Mystic thruge 14 (good will), I realized my saves added up to a +19 for Will (not shabby), but only +10 for Fortitude and +9 for Reflex. How can I improve this? What numbers do I need?

Slipperychicken
2012-12-28, 10:59 AM
You can add Superior Resistance to your buff rotation. +6 Resistance bonus to all saves, hour/level duration.

Edit: corrected spell name and duration.

Glimbur
2012-12-28, 11:01 AM
It's also pretty cheap to get a +2 or +4 item for the stats related to saves, though you should already have a +con item at least.

Shapechange/polymorph/etc into something with good physical stats is an option too.

Zelkon
2012-12-28, 11:07 AM
It's also pretty cheap to get a +2 or +4 item for the stats related to saves, though you should already have a +con item at least.

Shapechange/polymorph/etc into something with good physical stats is an option too.

Ah, right. Alter self and hat of disguise. I'm using NPC WBL (I play a cohort, don't ask) so I have very little to spend (320,000 at this level).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-28, 11:18 AM
Are you sure you applied the epic save bonus to those last 4 levels instead of the class' bonus?

Those last 4 levels should effectively have all good saves because of how epic progression works.

How about just a classic cloak of resistance?

Zelkon
2012-12-28, 11:19 AM
Are you sure you applied the epic save bonus to those last 4 levels instead of the class' bonus?

Those last 4 levels should effectively have all good saves because of how epic progression works.

How about just a classic cloak of resistance?

Cloak of Charisma takes it's spot, and four levels of Epic Saves is a mere +2.

Story
2012-12-28, 11:27 AM
There's also Vest of Resistance, which is identical except it takes a different slot. If you're having items custom crafted, you can also just add the bonuses to an existing item.

Also, I don't think Alter Self actually works here. Shapechange definitely would though.

Solophoenix
2012-12-28, 11:38 AM
It wouldn't hurt to have Ruin Delver's Fortune (http://therafim.wikidot.com/ruin-delver-s-fortune) on your list of spells known, for those moments when adding your CHA mod to a save as an immediate action can save your life. Not to mention the emergency hp and various immunities.

Zelkon
2012-12-28, 11:51 AM
It wouldn't hurt to have Ruin Delver's Fortune (http://therafim.wikidot.com/ruin-delver-s-fortune) on your list of spells known, for those moments when adding your CHA mod to a save as an immediate action can save your life. Not to mention the emergency hp and various immunities.

I like it. +17 cha isn't too shabby for this purpose...:smallcool:

Solophoenix
2012-12-28, 07:24 PM
Also, Wings of Cover (http://dndtools.eu/spells/races-of-the-dragon--83/wings-of-cover--3100/) just lets you say "nope" to a bunch of stuff. Often the best way to succeed on a save is to avoid having to make it :P

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-29, 05:25 AM

2 when a poor save class would only give you 1 in the same space. Every little bit helps, eh?

As for the cloak of resistance. Get it added to the cloak of charsima. As of MIC it doesn't cost any extra. Even if it did still cost extra it wouldn't be a terrible idea if you're that worried about your saves.

Amnestic
2012-12-29, 10:29 AM

You could turn it into a Charismatic Cloak of Resistance (or a Resisting Cloak of Charisma) as per MIC's rules.

dspeyer
2012-12-29, 04:39 PM
You've probably already maxxed out concentration, so Diamond Mind counters are only a feat away. I vaguely recall hearing about weapons that grant maneuvers, but that might have been homebrew.

Story
2012-12-29, 05:49 PM
Be careful about relying too much on Diamond Mind though or you may get hit by a Prismatic Wall. (You can only take one immediate action per turn)

Lonely Tylenol
2012-12-29, 06:00 PM
You've probably already maxxed out concentration, so Diamond Mind counters are only a feat away. I vaguely recall hearing about weapons that grant maneuvers, but that might have been homebrew.

Not weapons, but a Ring of the Diamond Mind (novice) would run you 1,500gp and earn you a single maneuver of up to third level. Presumably this is going to be either Action Before Thought (which lets you replace your Reflex save with a Concentration check) or Mind Over Body (which lets you replace your Fort save with a Concentration check).

Glimbur
2012-12-29, 06:29 PM
You could also cast Heroics in order to get a fighter bonus feat, like Martial Study.