PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 8 - how to turn off the blasted download prompt

Bulldog Psion
2012-12-28, 11:26 AM
Hey all, looks like it's time for me to pick the INT 18 brains of the forum here for one of my occasional newbie tech questions.

I was wondering if there's some way to turn off the download prompt in Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) on Windows 7? So that I don't get a prompt every time asking "Save or Run", in effect, but so that it just goes straight to the "save" window.

That prompt is annoying when you have about 200 small files to download for a job you're doing. :smallyuk:

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks all! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: the file extensions on my downloads are all .docx, if that makes any difference. (I know this is going to turn out to be something embarrassingly easy.)

Brother Oni
2012-12-28, 12:28 PM
After some checking, what you're asking doesn't seem possible in IE without a macro or addon of some sort.

There are a number of download managers that you can use (I used to use Getright) that will intercept the click and automatically download any link you click on.

Kjata
2012-12-28, 12:28 PM
I don't know how to help you with IE.

I can tell you that you would be better off with another browser, however. Chrome skips all that, and puts downloads at the bottom of your screen where you can click them to run.

Bulldog Psion
2012-12-28, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help! :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2012-12-28, 09:10 PM
I don't know how to help you with IE.

I can tell you that you would be better off with another browser, however. Chrome skips all that, and puts downloads at the bottom of your screen where you can click them to run.
It's likely that he's stuck with IE8 - even a dedicated IE user would at least be using IE9.