PDA

View Full Version : First Time Pathfinder Society

TopCheese
2012-12-28, 12:55 PM
Howdy Playground!

So although I hate Paizo I joined a Pathfinder Society game and well there is a few things I wanted to know. (Oh btw I like pathfinder for what it is..Homebrew 3.5)

What is the Inner Sea? I know it is a campaign setting but were can I find more info about this?

Is there any suggestions or things to watch out for?

My half-elf barbarian's background is being raised in a church's orphanage but wasn't allowed to become a paladin or cleric so he copied their ways. My PC has a high will save due to meditation and prayer. He tried to copy smite evil but create "rage". I'm going to play the PC as a Paladin of freedom (3.5).

Is there any problem with this background with the setting Inner Sea?

Also what would be a good god for this character? I was thinking Corellon but I'm not sure what gods there are to choose from.

I'm sure I'll have more questions eventually.

Thanks in advance.

Psyren
2012-12-28, 01:25 PM
Welcome to the fold. *evil laugh*

But yeah, there's a couple of wikis out there that can answer your questions. Search around on "Golariopedia" (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/) or PathfinderWiki (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Pathfinder_Wiki) - they have articles on each of the deities to help you choose one, as well as articles on locales like the Inner Sea. (I think the second link has more info overall.)

Desna might be a good choice for you, as she holds the concept of freedom in very high regard and is revered by Elves.

TopCheese
2012-12-28, 01:38 PM
I'll check out Desna, I'll be looking for a LG god to hate (well at least the followers) due to the neglect in the past.. Might wait to see if there is a LG character in the party to get some roleplaying going.

I've seen links to that wiki but with dndwiki giving wiki a bad name... Yeah I stayed away from it.

Hmmm Psyren evil laughing? I'm slightly scared.....

Psyren
2012-12-28, 01:43 PM
Fluff wikis are fine (see also Forgotten Realms wiki or Eberron Wiki.) They're the best place to get setting info apart from the books/novels themselves.

D&Dwiki is bad for a different reason - it deals with crunch, i.e. homebrew, but doesn't clearly label what is homebrew and what isn't, nor do the authors make much effort to balance their homebrew.

TopCheese
2012-12-29, 01:15 PM
So I was told I need to pick a origin area and a faction.

The DM has suggested for origin: Taldor or Cheliax since they don't like half-breeds... After reading up on the two regions... Wow they suck and will fit nicely in my background haha.

Just not sure which would make more sense, hmmm...

So about factions... The three suggested by the DM are Andoran, Shadow Lodge, and Silver Crusade.

Andoran and Shadow Lodge because they are into freedom and such and Silver Crusader because of paladins and goody charitable types.

So far I'm thinking of playing the "Paladin" type so perhaps the Silver Crusade.

EDIT: Even on paizo website I've only found small blurbs about the factions. Is there an in dept description of them somewhere?

Arutema
2012-12-29, 08:07 PM
Howdy Playground!

So although I hate Paizo I joined a Pathfinder Society game and well there is a few things I wanted to know. (Oh btw I like pathfinder for what it is..Homebrew 3.5)

What is the Inner Sea? I know it is a campaign setting but were can I find more info about this?

Is there any suggestions or things to watch out for?

My half-elf barbarian's background is being raised in a church's orphanage but wasn't allowed to become a paladin or cleric so he copied their ways. My PC has a high will save due to meditation and prayer. He tried to copy smite evil but create "rage". I'm going to play the PC as a Paladin of freedom (3.5).

Absolutely not possible. Pathfinder Society is limited to official Paizo material only, and Paladin of Freedom is not included in said material.

Rules regarding core material and factions are found in Paizo's Guide to Organized Play (http://paizo.com/products/btpy84k4?Guide-to-Pathfinder-Society-Organized-Play).

Rules regarding allowed Paizo sources can be found here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources).

PS: If you're looking for a Paladin-like class but don't want to be lawful good, check out the Inquisitor base class from the Advanced Player's Guide.

TopCheese
2012-12-29, 08:59 PM
Absolutely not possible. Pathfinder Society is limited to official Paizo material only, and Paladin of Freedom is not included in said material.

Rules regarding core material and factions are found in Paizo's Guide to Organized Play (http://paizo.com/products/btpy84k4?Guide-to-Pathfinder-Society-Organized-Play).

Rules regarding allowed Paizo sources can be found here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety/about/additionalResources).

PS: If you're looking for a Paladin-like class but don't want to be lawful good, check out the Inquisitor base class from the Advanced Player's Guide.

I didn't say I was playing a Paladin of Freedom. I said I was playing my character as a paladin of freedom. So YES I can play a character as a Paladin of Freedom since that is just roleplaying.

I actually just found the correct download I've been looking for. I've picked the Silver Crusade as my Faction. Couple other factions were pretty nice but again I'm playing a paladin of freedom type character and Desna is a good deity. I'm still looking into it, I was originally using my phone to look into information... But now that I've been using my pc and I can find the proper stuff to read.

I actually wasn't looking to play a paladin at all. I created a Barbarian for a reason.. I just gave him an interesting background in which to liven up my character.

Psyren
2012-12-30, 01:54 AM
I dunno about Silver Crusade as they tend towards LG. If you venerate freedom above all else, you probably don't want to be constantly preaching to people (especially other Pathfinders) on how they should live their lives. I think Andorans are more what you're looking for as freedom is kind of their whole schtick.

urdjur
2012-12-30, 02:48 AM
If you venerate freedom above all else, you probably don't want to be constantly preaching to people (especially other Pathfinders) on how they should live their lives.

Makes perfect sense if he's a Republican though. After all, this IS a Barbarian masquerading as a Paladin who thinks rage = smiting evil. Take Silver Crusade and fluff him further as coming from the Bush tribe. It will be hilarious!

StreamOfTheSky
2012-12-30, 12:48 PM
If you're going that route, don't forget to be married yet commit adultery frequently while preaching about family values....

OP, not sure if it is the direction you want to go, but you may enjoy worshipping Calistria (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Calistria), the bi-polar elven goddess of lust and revenge.

TopCheese
2012-12-31, 11:43 AM
If you're going that route, don't forget to be married yet commit adultery frequently while preaching about family values....

OP, not sure if it is the direction you want to go, but you may enjoy worshipping Calistria (http://www.pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Calistria), the bi-polar elven goddess of lust and revenge.

Actually no a CG wouldn't commit adultry. CG believes in freedom of choice unless it hurts others without reqson to hurt others. Although marriage is a promise....It is a promise to a loved one. CG types lie to evil and neutral types but keep their word to good types. If the wife/husband became evil I can see a CG not caring about adultry since the other one started the decay of the marriage first.

There was a link on these forums I found... Went to a site that had the Ten Comandments of CG, it was a fantastic guide.

Also CG doesn't mean being a hypocrit and neither does LG or LE or CE or whatever.

Remember just cause you like freedom doesn't mean you lose your conscience (spelling?).

A CN believes in doing whatever you want and damn the fallout (hurts someone or not). So if they were married to a NG CG or LG wife.. Then he wouldn't think twice for when he commited adultry.

From what I've read of the silver crusade, they tend to be about helping above all else. My first personal mission was to be charitable, helpful, and what not (I don't have it in front of me). A CG character won't kill a helpless creature and will show mercy/parlay. I've seen the silver crusade as more of a Moral > Ethics kinda group so far (good-evil actions mean more than law-chaos actions). Even if it isn't perfect, I like the faction so far and it is awesome for the roleplaying aspects.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-12-31, 05:10 PM
Ok, the two parts were separate ideas/responses, with the first part following up on what urdjur said.

Didn't really need an alignment lecture, any alignment can be a hypocrite.