PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Craft Wondrous Item feat for Magus?

Bex0r
2012-12-28, 01:39 PM
Hey guys, I play a 5th level magus in an online PF campaign. After contributing to the setting so the last 8 months or so, my GM is offering to give my character a bonus feat, and since my character already has Craft Jewelry as a skill, I was considering expounding on that to give her the Craft Wondrous Item feat. (Plot-wise, this would be an obvious next step for my character.)

I know that the spell list for Magus is substantially smaller than for Wizards or Sorcerers, but before I start going through the Wondrous Item lists line-by-line (ugh, really don't want to do that because lazy) to see which things my magus would actually be able to create, does anyone happen to know off the top of their head if this would even be a worthwhile feat to give my character?

Any wondrous items in particular I should look into?

Thanks everyone.

Psyren
2012-12-28, 01:46 PM
Crafting is different in Pathfinder; if you don't know the spell to create a specific wondrous item, you can still make it, simply by increasing the Craft DC by 5. So the answer to your question is "all of them." You might still have to go line by line to know which items you can make without the +5 DC hit (i.e. which items depend on spells that you already know), or you can simply pump your Craft check and take the +5 hit on everything to save yourself some reading.

Kudaku
2012-12-28, 02:26 PM
Do you have any other spellcasters in your party? Pathfinder crafting specifically allows for spell requirements to be provided by scrolls potions, or other spellcasters. If you happen to be on friendly terms with a cleric for instance, that'll give you a lot more flexibility.

Jack_Simth
2012-12-28, 03:03 PM
Hey guys, I play a 5th level magus in an online PF campaign. After contributing to the setting so the last 8 months or so, my GM is offering to give my character a bonus feat, and since my character already has Craft Jewelry as a skill, I was considering expounding on that to give her the Craft Wondrous Item feat. (Plot-wise, this would be an obvious next step for my character.)

I know that the spell list for Magus is substantially smaller than for Wizards or Sorcerers, but before I start going through the Wondrous Item lists line-by-line (ugh, really don't want to do that because lazy) to see which things my magus would actually be able to create, does anyone happen to know off the top of their head if this would even be a worthwhile feat to give my character?

Any wondrous items in particular I should look into?

Thanks everyone.

As has been mentioned: With the feat, you can craft all of them, but you do take a hit to your Spellcraft (or craft) DC:

To create magic items, spellcasters use special feats which allow them to invest time and money in an item's creation. At the end of this process, the spellcaster must make a single skill check (usually Spellcraft, but sometimes another skill) to finish the item. If an item type has multiple possible skills, you choose which skill to make the check with. The DC to create a magic item is 5 + the caster level for the item. Failing this check means that the item does not function and the materials and time are wasted. Failing this check by 5 or more results in a cursed item.

Note that all items have prerequisites in their descriptions. These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item's creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed). The DC to create a magic item increases by 5 for each prerequisite the caster does not meet. The only exception to this is the requisite item creation feat, which is mandatory. In addition, you cannot create potions, spell-trigger, or spell-completion magic items without meeting its prerequisites.(Emphasis added, specific text from Here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items#TOC-Magic-Item-Creation))

So, for your wondrous items... it really doesn't matter, so long as there aren't so many missing requirements that you can't make the Spellcraft check by taking ten. The Magus has Intelligence-based casting, so you can probably be missing two or three requirements without a problem. More, if the caster level of the item is notably below your level.

Bex0r
2012-12-28, 03:04 PM
My character is definitely on friendly terms with a cleric, and I anticipate having plenty of access to scrolls and things on my character's downtime (which is when she would be crafting anyways).

Just to clarify, if my character wanted to create an item that she does not know the spell for, she could purchase a scroll for it OR add +5 to the DC? Or is it both?

Psyren
2012-12-28, 03:13 PM
Just to clarify, if my character wanted to create an item that she does not know the spell for, she could purchase a scroll for it OR add +5 to the DC? Or is it both?

For Wondrous Items, either way will work.

For potions, spell trigger items (e.g. wands) or spell completion items (e.g. scrolls), you must have the specific spell at hand, either in item form or from your friend.