PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfire Adept/Hengeyokai Sparrow

barna10
2012-12-28, 07:03 PM
Does a Hengeyokai Dragonfire adept retain it's breath weapon in animal form?

Also, where can one find the 3.5 update for Oriental Adventures?

Amnestic
2012-12-28, 07:55 PM
Yes, they retain it.
Dragon Magazine...318 had the OA update I believe.
You also change your Con while in Sparrow form if I recall correctly, making it undesireable due to your breath weapon DC keying off of Con.

They also lose the ability to Invoke while in Sparrow form due to lack of somatic appendages.

Edit: Yes, your Con drops from whatever it was previously (hopefully 16+) to a static 10. If you're after flight as a DFA, your best bet is either the Lesser Invocations Draconic Flight or Humanoid Shape (Shaping into something that can fly).

barna10
2012-12-28, 08:06 PM
Thanks!

I agree with you. It's not for me. One of my players wants to play this. I just needed to verify I was reading the rules correctly. I've been away from the game for a bit.

Thanks again.

Amnestic
2012-12-28, 08:20 PM
Thanks!

I agree with you. It's not for me. One of my players wants to play this. I just needed to verify I was reading the rules correctly. I've been away from the game for a bit.

Thanks again.

Warlock Sparrow Hengeyokai is more effective due to their Eldritch Blast keying off of Dex which is boosted to a nice 23, allowing you to effectively make it a dump stat.

If they're interested in animal+Dragonfire Adept though, you could suggest Tibbit (Dragon Compendium) which offers a cat form and no Con change while in it (it dumps Str, slight boost to Dex which helps with a DFAs generally lackluster AC).

Still, if they want to play a Sparrow DFA, it won't kill them to do so. Just that their breath weapon DC will be a fair bit lower than it would otherwise be, meaning a lot of saves against it (thankfully it's Save: Half rather than Save: Nothing).

barna10
2012-12-28, 08:28 PM
Warlock Sparrow Hengeyokai is more effective due to their Eldritch Blast keying off of Dex which is boosted to a nice 23, allowing you to effectively make it a dump stat.

If they're interested in animal+Dragonfire Adept though, you could suggest Tibbit (Dragon Compendium) which offers a cat form and no Con change while in it (it dumps Str, slight boost to Dex which helps with a DFAs generally lackluster AC).

Still, if they want to play a Sparrow DFA, it won't kill them to do so. Just that their breath weapon DC will be a fair bit lower than it would otherwise be, meaning a lot of saves against it (thankfully it's Save: Half rather than Save: Nothing).

I'll suggest that, thanks.