PDA

View Full Version : Box size choice in shop?

Asmayus
2012-12-28, 07:09 PM
Hello, I'm going to buy the Start of Darkness and on the origin of PC's from the shop. I'm just a bit confused about the choice in box size between a small or medium box for shipping. Given that the medium box is twice the cost of the small box, is there any reason I should choose it over the small box?

If not, why is that option there? (This is just out of simple curiosity, I'm not criticizing/whining :) )

Sorry if this has been asked before; the search function on the forum seems to be non-existant and google site search didn't turn anything relevant up. A link to a thread with the same issue resolved would be just as awesome as a reply :)

Cheers all

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-28, 09:09 PM
It would probably be better to ask OOTS product-related questions directly to ookoodook. This forum basically has nothing to do with that stuff.

Rawhide
2012-12-29, 12:13 AM
It would probably be better to ask OOTS product-related questions directly to ookoodook. This forum basically has nothing to do with that stuff.

Pretty much this.

Oookoodook Shipping FAQ (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/ShippingQuestions.shtml)
Contact Ookoodook (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/contact.shtml)

willpell
2012-12-29, 03:40 AM
Hello, I'm going to buy the Start of Darkness and on the origin of PC's from the shop. I'm just a bit confused about the choice in box size between a small or medium box for shipping. Given that the medium box is twice the cost of the small box, is there any reason I should choose it over the small box?

If not, why is that option there? (This is just out of simple curiosity, I'm not criticizing/whining :) )

I noticed this as well; I think I discovered that it was possible to ship several books in a medium box which might make it a more optimal choice depending on exactly how many books you were buying, but I don't remember the details. You might be able to figure it out if you play with various combinations of orders (make sure not to hit Confirm lol), adding and deleting books and recalculating until it makes sense...I went through this but forget exactly what I figured out.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-12-29, 08:11 AM
I noticed this as well; I think I discovered that it was possible to ship several books in a medium box which might make it a more optimal choice depending on exactly how many books you were buying, but I don't remember the details. You might be able to figure it out if you play with various combinations of orders (make sure not to hit Confirm lol), adding and deleting books and recalculating until it makes sense...I went through this but forget exactly what I figured out.

From what I remember about shipping the Kickstarter incentives (which may or may not be directly applicable, but the theory should be the same), ordering more than one (or was it two?) books automatically upgraded the box it came in to a larger box. It cost more, but it was indeed able to hold more books (up to five, I think) without any extra cost beyond that.

Asmayus
2012-12-29, 05:56 PM
Cheers to those who replied. I got in touch with Ookodook last night as wiser folks than I suggested, and they got back to me today and said that the "small box" is a cardboard envelope and that most people used that option.

Shrug.

I'm going to run with the old 'most affordable' standard from my college days. When the package arrives next week I'll post here and let you know if they were able to fit the two books in to the envelope or what.

If they can fit two books into one envelope then a) I'll be impressed and b) we'll know if the option is there, they can make it fit :P

Cheers, Asmayus

KuReshtin
2013-01-10, 10:18 AM
The 'cardboard envelope' is pretty big, and when i got my Kickstarter stuff, it contained two books, the coloring book, the stickers, notepad and the other goodies without any problem.

Asmayus
2013-01-17, 06:42 AM
Right then: small cardboard envelope arrived with 2 books inside. Why you'd want to use a bigger size escapes me but I can confirm that if the option is there, they can make it fit.

Yay!

The Dark Fiddler
2013-01-17, 08:11 PM
Right then: small cardboard envelope arrived with 2 books inside. Why you'd want to use a bigger size escapes me but I can confirm that if the option is there, they can make it fit.

Yay!

Bigger box for:

1) More things that won't fit in a small envelope
2) Box fort
3) Non-books/shirt things
4) Maybe there's something with customs, maybe, for international shipping?

ThePhantasm
2013-01-17, 10:43 PM
A box also protects your stuff from being damaged more than an envelope.

The Giant
2013-01-26, 07:07 PM
What fits in an envelope varies greatly based on which two OOTS books are being purchased. On the Origin of PCs and Start of Darkness are the two skinniest books; they fit comfortably in an envelope even with a few smaller items added in. On the other hand, War and XPs and Don't Split the Party are both fatter than the two former books combined and cannot fit in an envelope together at all.

As for why you would want a more expensive box, the answer is in how bendable the envelope is. If you have a small mailbox, an envelope with two skinny books might be horribly bent and crammed in by your postman, damaging them, while a larger box forces them to take other measures (like leaving it on your porch, or leaving a delivery notice).