PDA

View Full Version : Skyscraper Graveyard II: Simple Choices

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

the_druid_droid
2013-08-28, 11:50 PM
Amun shrugged. "Not really." He stuck a hand in a pocket and got out a plain old die. "1 or 2 says Mary, 3 or 4 says Ken, 5 or 6 and we'll say Izumi." With that he threw the die

Turing watched the die fall. "Izumi it is, then. I'm ready when you are, unless anyone else wants to tag along." He glanced around once again, quickly, "Last call!"

Thanqol
2013-08-29, 12:03 AM
"Oh." Jack understated. "Well, I guess that makes sense."

He takes a moment to switch his phone to show a map of Detroit.
"You're certainly making better progress than I am." He admits, barely noticing Tessen's blushes.

[Jack has the Finder spell as a rote, it can be cast sympathetically if you have space2, which he does. It seems to be quite specifically designed for this task, if I've not gone mad.
Bonuses/penalties or other relevant stuff I should know?]

His phone crashed. Instead of a map it was displaying a seemingly endless stream of junk data. This indicated that the spell wasn't targeting a valid physical location. That meant it was in another dimension, didn't have a physical manifestation, or something.

[An intelligence+computer or gnosis+mind roll can be made to gather further clues on that error message]

the_druid_droid
2013-08-29, 12:42 AM
[An intelligence+computer or gnosis+mind roll can be made to gather further clues on that error message]

[If this is loosely co-terminal with Turing being around, he can totally rock Int+Computers]

Anarion
2013-08-29, 12:56 AM
[If this is loosely co-terminal with Turing being around, he can totally rock Int+Computers]

Tessen leans over Jack's shoulder and looks at the phone. "Should we show that to Turing, that looks like it's broken or something."

Deadly
2013-08-29, 07:13 PM
Turing watched the die fall. "Izumi it is, then. I'm ready when you are, unless anyone else wants to tag along." He glanced around once again, quickly, "Last call!"

"Lead the way," Amun said and got up.

Tiki Snakes
2013-08-29, 09:41 PM
Tessen leans over Jack's shoulder and looks at the phone. "Should we show that to Turing, that looks like it's broken or something."

"Hmm." Jack scowled. "It basically means one or more of any number of things. Either it's simply not in the fallen world, or it doesn't physically exist so it doesn't have a location in space as such or...well, who knows what?"

He stared at the junk data and error messages as they whipped past on the screen.

"Yeah, maybe Turing will be able to make more sense of this." He shrugged and headed for the door, trying to spot some kind of meaningful clue in the haystack of data as he went.
[presuming the Int+Comp roll is possible from watching the messages rather than directly tinkering with stuff (and so no risk of stopping Turing trying with a better dice pool by trying myself), Jack'll have a go at figuring it out himself as he walks. It's only three dice, but who knows?

8,4,6. Just one success, presuming no additional penalties and that I can even roll just from watching and thinking.]

the_druid_droid
2013-08-29, 11:13 PM
"Lead the way," Amun said and got up.

Turing nodded and ambled toward the doors after tucking the Guardian Torch into a corner of the lobby. As he and Amun headed for the address listed by Izumi's name, he turned the situation over mentally.

One positive thing was that this girl was the oldest of any of the candidates, which might make contact easier: having to fight through parents or guardians would require an extra layer of subtlety on top of whatever magic might be at work. Also, she was described as creative, which might give her a way to connect to someone in the Renaissance - Jack and Tessen certainly seemed like possibilities there - but the fact remained that there was very little solid information to go on and the stakes were high.

Turing looked over toward his traveling companion. "Any ideas on how to approach this? We're short on Mind, which means we'll probably have to have conversations the old-fashioned way to get our foot in the door."

"Yeah, maybe Turing will be able to make more sense of this." He shrugged and headed for the door, trying to spot some kind of meaningful clue in the haystack of data as he went.
[presuming the Int+Comp roll is possible from watching the messages rather than directly tinkering with stuff (and so no risk of stopping Turing trying with a better dice pool by trying myself), Jack'll have a go at figuring it out himself as he walks. It's only three dice, but who knows?

Turing squinted at the error messages on the phone and fiddled for a while with the interface. "Well, I'll hand it to you - this is one IT problem I've never encountered before. What exactly were you using this thing for, again?"

[Int + Computers is 8 dice (unless this counts as AI or Networking too, which Turing has specialties in).

Rolled: 7 - 8 - 2 - 10 - 9 - 3 - 6 - 10
10 again: 8 - 7

Exceptional success]

Thanqol
2013-08-29, 11:42 PM
Jack saw what was going on here, kind of: it seemed tied somehow to a 'check for majority' routine. To Turing, however, it made perfect sense.

The program had two IF statements in it. IF =>51%, Then create X. IF =>75%, create Y. The scan's parameters were limited to the GPS co-ordinates of Detroit, so in effect it was demanding a 51% majority of something (people? Votes? Land?) to give a location, and a 75% majority to give a different location.

Izumi actually lived on-campus at the Wayne State University, some distance from here - a car trip, at least.

Deadly
2013-08-30, 06:49 PM
Turing nodded and ambled toward the doors after tucking the Guardian Torch into a corner of the lobby. As he and Amun headed for the address listed by Izumi's name, he turned the situation over mentally.

One positive thing was that this girl was the oldest of any of the candidates, which might make contact easier: having to fight through parents or guardians would require an extra layer of subtlety on top of whatever magic might be at work. Also, she was described as creative, which might give her a way to connect to someone in the Renaissance - Jack and Tessen certainly seemed like possibilities there - but the fact remained that there was very little solid information to go on and the stakes were high.

Turing looked over toward his traveling companion. "Any ideas on how to approach this? We're short on Mind, which means we'll probably have to have conversations the old-fashioned way to get our foot in the door."

"I can't say I have any great master plan at hand," Amun admitted. "That's not usually my thing. I imagine we go there, observe and see what we can pick up. That should hopefully give us a starting point." He looked at the address again. "But it's a bit far for a stroll."

Anarion
2013-08-30, 07:32 PM
Jack saw what was going on here, kind of: it seemed tied somehow to a 'check for majority' routine. To Turing, however, it made perfect sense.

The program had two IF statements in it. IF =>51%, Then create X. IF =>75%, create Y. The scan's parameters were limited to the GPS co-ordinates of Detroit, so in effect it was demanding a 51% majority of something (people? Votes? Land?) to give a location, and a 75% majority to give a different location.

Izumi actually lived on-campus at the Wayne State University, some distance from here - a car trip, at least.

"So, what does this all mean" Tessen asks nobody in particular. "Now do we figure out whatever the thing is that there's supposed to be more than 51% of, or 75% of, I guess?"

Thanqol
2013-08-30, 08:59 PM
"So, what does this all mean" Tessen asks nobody in particular. "Now do we figure out whatever the thing is that there's supposed to be more than 51% of, or 75% of, I guess?"

It was a reasonable interpretation that, given the circumstances, you wanted 51% of whatever you wanted to be in charge of.

the_druid_droid
2013-08-30, 09:33 PM

Carrying the phone upstairs, Turing wired the phone up to his computer and began typing away. "Hope you're not too attached to the warranty."

A few minutes later, he'd managed to salvage the code block and give it a look-over.

"Well, it would be easier if whoever wrote this had labelled their variables better, but I'm guessing from context that this thing wants a certain percentage of whatever is going to be ruled. I'm not entirely sure how Errant will feel about that, but you're the one who's supposed to find the Crown, so I guess it's up to you. In fact, this thing may want pre-approval before it'll even tell you where this Crown is located, so you have a chance to run the idea by her first."

"Hmm, that's right. This is a campus address now that I look at it." Turing had re-examined the slip of paper when Amun spoke up. "Well, we can try to catch the bus, or find Jack and bring him along for the trip."

Anarion
2013-08-30, 10:47 PM
"But...I was looking for a crown of mercy. How do you even tell if there's 51% or more of mercy in a place?"

the_druid_droid
2013-08-31, 12:23 AM
"But...I was looking for a crown of mercy. How do you even tell if there's 51% or more of mercy in a place?"

"You make a meter." Turing grinned at his joke, then glanced back at the computer screen and suddenly went quiet.

"...you make a meter. Between Space, Prime, Mind, and something like this," here he pulled out a battered yellow multimeter from his electronics drawer, "you could actually do that. Find the most merciful place in Detroit, or make that place, and then have some sort of ritual."

Anarion
2013-08-31, 01:52 AM
"You make a meter." Turing grinned at his joke, then glanced back at the computer screen and suddenly went quiet.

"...you make a meter. Between Space, Prime, Mind, and something like this," here he pulled out a battered yellow multimeter from his electronics drawer, "you could actually do that. Find the most merciful place in Detroit, or make that place, and then have some sort of ritual."

"Turing that's...an amazing idea!" Tessen jumps up and gives him a hug. "I think maybe it would be spreading it over the city, not just doing a ritual in one place. But if I can find somewhere to start, and get people to change, just a little bit. Like what I did today with collecting stories, but more focused. I bet it would work."

Deadly
2013-08-31, 07:03 PM
"Hmm, that's right. This is a campus address now that I look at it." Turing had re-examined the slip of paper when Amun spoke up. "Well, we can try to catch the bus, or find Jack and bring him along for the trip."

"Depends on how much excitement you want on the way there. Public transport is likely to have its share of excitement, You know, I might even get recognized by who knows who and how many. Hah!" Amun laughed. "That's one thing I've never had to get used to before."

the_druid_droid
2013-08-31, 11:18 PM
"Turing that's...an amazing idea!" Tessen jumps up and gives him a hug. "I think maybe it would be spreading it over the city, not just doing a ritual in one place. But if I can find somewhere to start, and get people to change, just a little bit. Like what I did today with collecting stories, but more focused. I bet it would work."

Turing looked surprised at first, but then quickly returned the hug. "No problem. You can have the multimeter, but let me know if there's anything else I can do to help you."

"Depends on how much excitement you want on the way there. Public transport is likely to have its share of excitement, You know, I might even get recognized by who knows who and how many. Hah!" Amun laughed. "That's one thing I've never had to get used to before."

"Well, I don't actually know where Jack is right now and we're halfway to the bus stop already. I don't know if a little attention will be the end of the world." Turing kept walking, but he did wonder just how many people had been reading the paper that morning Amun's face was plastered all over it.

Anarion
2013-08-31, 11:20 PM
[What's the timelining look like right now in terms of character actions? Tessen's ritual and now mercy meter thing is mid afternoon after the morning has already passed. Are Turing and Amun going out after that, or is their awakening thing going on in the morning simultaneously with Tessen's ritual?]

Thanqol
2013-09-01, 03:43 AM
[What's the timelining look like right now in terms of character actions? Tessen's ritual and now mercy meter thing is mid afternoon after the morning has already passed. Are Turing and Amun going out after that, or is their awakening thing going on in the morning simultaneously with Tessen's ritual?]

[It'd actually be most convenient for me if everyone went along with one plot thread right now, looking to be Izumi. I promise not to timekill any of your other things while that's happening]

Anarion
2013-09-01, 12:02 PM
[It'd actually be most convenient for me if everyone went along with one plot thread right now, looking to be Izumi. I promise not to timekill any of your other things while that's happening]

[Cool.]

As Turing and Amun are walking to the bus stop, Tessen comes up behind them, running at a good pace and breathing slightly hard. "Um, hey guys *huff* I, um, was getting a bit tired of trying to think about weird abstract stuff. *puff* we can figure out the *huff* meter thing later, but um, I hope you wouldn't mind if I come along now? *puff*"

Deadly
2013-09-01, 06:48 PM
[Cool.]

As Turing and Amun are walking to the bus stop, Tessen comes up behind them, running at a good pace and breathing slightly hard. "Um, hey guys *huff* I, um, was getting a bit tired of trying to think about weird abstract stuff. *puff* we can figure out the *huff* meter thing later, but um, I hope you wouldn't mind if I come along now? *puff*"

Amun shook his head. "Not at all. Have you seen Jack? We were just talking about him and his car."

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-01, 07:42 PM
Jack had slipped away whilst Tessen and Turing hugged, leaving the Tower a short while later. He had apparently left the Firebird behind though.

When they reached the bus-stop, the three would not have to wait long before their bus arrived. Nor would they have a hard time once they were on-board spotting a sharply dressed figure in a smart black suit with a red tie and a playing card poking out of his breast pocket.

They would also have little trouble noticing the big rubbery horse-mask (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DKaKIRBsL.jpg) he was wearing.

"Oh, hey guys." Said Jack.

Anarion
2013-09-01, 07:59 PM

Tessen just stares, her mouth hanging slightly open.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-02, 12:06 AM
They would also have little trouble noticing the big rubbery horse-mask (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DKaKIRBsL.jpg) he was wearing.

Turing just raised an eyebrow as he boarded the bus. "You know, if you're looking for a girlfriend, I'm pretty sure they have websites for that now."

Anarion
2013-09-02, 12:52 AM
Turing just raised an eyebrow as he boarded the bus. "You know, if you're looking for a girlfriend, I'm pretty sure they have websites for that now."

[This is a Jack only comment because he has empathy 4.]

Jack may notice Tessen look ever so slightly disappointed for just an instant when Turing asks if Jack's current activity is based on looking for a girlfriend. Assuming he can even see out of the horse mask.

Deadly
2013-09-02, 05:57 AM
For some reason - possibly because Malcom was around a lot now, and Malcom liked to ride around on a horse - Amun had a small apple in his pocket. He fished it out and gave it a quick polish on his sleeve before handing it to Jack. "Hey there, Applejack."

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-02, 08:05 AM

"I'm not." Jack replied flatly. "Given what we've signed up for, I'm not sure it would be ethical right now, if nothing else."

If jack spotted Tessen's reaction, he wasn't letting on. The horse head stared blankly at the world.

For some reason - possibly because Malcom was around a lot now, and Malcom liked to ride around on a horse - Amun had a small apple in his pocket. He fished it out and gave it a quick polish on his sleeve before handing it to Jack. "Hey there, Applejack."

"Sure thing, sugarcube." Jack took the apple, tossing it into the air and catching it, before dissapearing it into his own pocket.

"What brings you three out today, anyway?" He asked.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-03, 12:43 AM
"I'm not." Jack replied flatly. "Given what we've signed up for, I'm not sure it would be ethical right now, if nothing else."

If jack spotted Tessen's reaction, he wasn't letting on. The horse head stared blankly at the world.

Turing had been expecting a snappy comeback, and he deflated a little at the response. Everyone seemed so serious lately...

"What brings you three out today, anyway?" He asked.

"Getting back to academia for a bit to shake the rust off, and going recruiting while we're there," Turing replied, conscious they were in public at the moment. "How about you?"

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-03, 04:43 AM
"Is that wise?" asked the horse, deftly avoiding Turings question. "Have you booked it yet?" he nodded vaguely towards Tessen.

Anarion
2013-09-03, 05:24 AM
"Is that wise?" asked the horse, deftly avoiding Turings question. "Have you booked it yet?" he nodded vaguely towards Tessen.

"Oh" Tessen pulls out her notebook. "What was the name, again?"

Deadly
2013-09-03, 06:34 PM
"Oh" Tessen pulls out her notebook. "What was the name, again?"

"Izumi Hideyoshi," Amun recalled as he settled down to relax while they waited.

Anarion
2013-09-03, 08:36 PM

"Izu...mi, Hi...de...yo...shi" Tessen mumbles as she quickly writes the name into her notebook.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-03, 08:42 PM

Turing nodded as Amun recalled the girl's name. "No, I don't know if it's wise, but there is the distinct risk of her going somewhere else after graduation, on top of the fact that I don't make the rules. It's true we have some other candidates, but no ringers, as far as I or Amun can tell."

Thanqol
2013-09-03, 11:31 PM
"Izu...mi, Hi...de...yo...shi" Tessen mumbles as she quickly writes the name into her notebook.

The book responded, "Spending wealth may be glorious, but swiftly leaves one destitute."

Anarion
2013-09-04, 12:24 AM
Tessen shares the message of the book. "Sounds like maybe she's being self-destructive with her money..."

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-04, 07:27 PM
Jack Horse laughed quietly.
"Since when has that thing ever been that straight forward, Tess?"

His expression was all but impossible to read. On account of the rubber horse mask.

Thanqol
2013-09-04, 07:49 PM
The transit to the university was uneventful, but as soon as they got there they knew something was up. Their unseen senses started tingling before they even got to the parking lot, and once they arrived anyone with prime, life or spirit sight could see there was magic all over this place. The resonance was extremely thick and potent.

Not spread evenly, though; long trails of it, criss-crossing across the school - like footprints or, perhaps more accurately, a blood trail.

Anarion
2013-09-04, 10:27 PM
Tessen tries to scrutinize it carefully, turning on both spirit and prime sight and analyzing the scene as best she can to make sense of all the trails.

[Going to roll prime sight to start things out, go from there.
[roll0]]

the_druid_droid
2013-09-04, 11:12 PM
The transit to the university was uneventful, but as soon as they got there they knew something was up. Their unseen senses started tingling before they even got to the parking lot, and once they arrived anyone with prime, life or spirit sight could see there was magic all over this place. The resonance was extremely thick and potent.

Not spread evenly, though; long trails of it, criss-crossing across the school - like footprints or, perhaps more accurately, a blood trail.

Turing frowned and surveyed the campus while the hair on his neck prickled. "I sort of miss the days when all campus police had to worry about was underage drinking and some pot..."

He looked over everything with Death and Matter as well, on the possibility that whatever was going on might be tied in to a potential Moros Awakening.

Thanqol
2013-09-04, 11:36 PM
Deathsight was relevant here; there was a distinct taste of a slow death in process. Like someone bleeding out.

The trail was disgustingly easy to follow, though. It lead directly to the school oval where an attractive afro-asian girl in soccer shorts was demolishing the opposing team. She was moving like lightning, running rings around everyone, moving so rapidly and powerfully it was like watching a world-class soccer star up against a bunch of amateurs.

To any kind of mage sight, every motion she made was absolutely filled with magic. Every kick, every second, mana flooded out of her body and supercharged the action. It spilled everywhere with every gesture, no matter how casual. It wasn't being inhaled from the world, it was all pouring out of her.

That was a problem.

With a combination of spirit and death sight it was easily apparent to see that there was some sort of wound in this girl's soul, and mana was pouring out like blood. It was making everything she did fantastically magical but it wasn't clear how long her soul would last if it kept bleeding everywhere like this.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-05, 11:15 PM
"Ok, well if all of us are seeing this, it looks like the girl's at death's door... The problem is that I don't know if it's death or Death, and that's kind of a critical distinction. Time's a factor now, so the way I see our options break down is: we can try and stop this game with the risk that that stops her Awakening, we can wait to see what happens and risk losing her one way or another, or... hmm..." Turing was tapping his cane at machine-gun pace, "Which of those sounds better in light of what Tessen's book said?"

"Of course, that's my three-second summary. If anyone has any better ideas, I'd love to hear them."

Thanqol
2013-09-05, 11:55 PM
"Ok, well if all of us are seeing this, it looks like the girl's at death's door... The problem is that I don't know if it's death or Death, and that's kind of a critical distinction. Time's a factor now, so the way I see our options break down is: we can try and stop this game with the risk that that stops her Awakening, we can wait to see what happens and risk losing her one way or another, or... hmm..." Turing was tapping his cane at machine-gun pace, "Which of those sounds better in light of what Tessen's book said?"

"Of course, that's my three-second summary. If anyone has any better ideas, I'd love to hear them."

It didn't look like she was in danger of dying in the next few hours, or even days. It was hard to judge but Deathsight wasn't giving any sense of immediacy.

Anarion
2013-09-05, 11:58 PM

"Well, um, the game's almost over. Maybe we can stop her at that point. The book said spending wealth leaves one destitute, but it didn't seem to suggest that Izumi is going to die right now. At least, I think, it's sort of hard to interpret. But maybe if we can catch her we can, heal her, I guess? Is that the right word?"

Anarion
2013-09-06, 06:02 PM
As Tessen is speaking, she's also looking for more info. She casts a postcognition targeting Izumi, trying to focus on when this wound was created.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-07, 12:10 AM
"Well, um, the game's almost over. Maybe we can stop her at that point. The book said spending wealth leaves one destitute, but it didn't seem to suggest that Izumi is going to die right now. At least, I think, it's sort of hard to interpret. But maybe if we can catch her we can, heal her, I guess? Is that the right word?"

Turing mused for a minute. "You have a point. Of course 'destitute' could mean un-Awakenable, but in all honesty we just don't know right now. I suppose it's a better outcome than going too far in the other direction, at least, and now that I look closely she doesn't seem to be near physical death at least."

Thanqol
2013-09-07, 01:39 AM
As Tessen is speaking, she's also looking for more info. She casts a postcognition targeting Izumi, trying to focus on when this wound was created.

Postcognition suggested it had happened a week ago, but without knowing where there wasn't any indication as to how.

Anarion
2013-09-07, 01:50 AM
Tessen relays that to the group. "If we go talk to her, let's ask about last week. I don't know if we should lie and pretend to be somebody important, or just say we're fans and want an interview or something."

the_druid_droid
2013-09-07, 03:26 PM
Tessen relays that to the group. "If we go talk to her, let's ask about last week. I don't know if we should lie and pretend to be somebody important, or just say we're fans and want an interview or something."

"Well, all things considered, I think it might be best if you were the one to talk to her, Tessen." Turing glanced at the others, silently emphasizing that strangers in horse masks, hobos, and old men in suits might not be the most reassuring company for a college-aged girl.

"Try telling her you're a reporter, and that you're doing a local sports piece. It should break the ice, at least, and you can talk about it on your radio show so it isn't really untrue either."

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-07, 03:29 PM
"I'm with Turing on this." Horse Jack said. "Would you like to borrow a prop to break the ice?"

Anarion
2013-09-07, 03:37 PM
"I'm with Turing on this." Horse Jack said. "Would you like to borrow a prop to break the ice?"

"Um, what kind of prop?" Tessen looks skeptical.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-07, 03:44 PM
"It's a surprise." said the man horse. "You can have it if you promise to use it."
He tucked his thumbs into his jacket pockets, casually.

Anarion
2013-09-07, 04:19 PM
"It's a surprise." said the man horse. "You can have it if you promise to use it."
He tucked his thumbs into his jacket pockets, casually.

Tessen sighs. "I'm going to regret this, but I really want to know what it is. I promise to use it, somehow."

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-07, 04:50 PM
Jack reaches in to one of his pockets and pulls out a package, the telltale crinkle of cellophane covered by brown paper, it was folded over on itself a little. It sprang back to shape easily enough that it gave the impression that Jack might have been testing the limits of the Platonic Mechanism rote.

Upon inspecting the package further, Tessen soon find what exciting new thing (http://youtu.be/6_khtUff6Ag) she was the temporary owner of.

"It works best if you tuck in the neck" Jack Horse said, knowledgeably.

Deadly
2013-09-07, 04:50 PM
"Sounds like a plan to me," said Amun as he held back, waiting and watching the scene.

He rolls his eyes as Jack pulls out the ... object.

Anarion
2013-09-07, 04:57 PM
Jack reaches in to one of his pockets and pulls out a package, the telltale crinkle of cellophane covered by brown paper, it was folded over on itself a little. It sprang back to shape easily enough that it gave the impression that Jack might have been testing the limits of the Platonic Mechanism rote.

Upon inspecting the package further, Tessen soon find what exciting new thing (http://youtu.be/6_khtUff6Ag) she was the temporary owner of.

"It works best if you tuck in the neck" Jack Horse said, knowledgeably.

"Perfect, I can give it to her as a gift," Tessen says, winking at Jack as she walks over to speak with Izumi as the game comes to a close.

"Izumi Hideyoshi? My name is Tessen, I DJ for a radio station and, um, I just saw that super amazing game and wondered if you'd be willing to do a short interview?" She shifts the horse mask under her arm and pulls out her notebook with a warm smile.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-07, 05:01 PM
"Rats." Said Horse Jack quietly to Amun and Turing without turning. "Outsmarted again."
He paused, watching her begin her approach.

"Maybe I could sneak in when she's asleep and just kind of...duck-tape one in place?" He muttered to himself from inside the rubber mask. "It could work. Might have to get her drunk first..."

Deadly
2013-09-07, 05:04 PM
"Rats." Said Horse Jack quietly to Amun and Turing without turning. "Outsmarted again."

"Maybe I could sneak in when she's asleep and just kind of...duck-tape one in place?" He muttered to himself from inside the rubber mask. "It could work. Might have to get her drunk first..."

"You're an awful little stallion," Amun said matter-of-factly. "Also a little creepy."

the_druid_droid
2013-09-07, 05:06 PM

Turing arched an eyebrow. "What is it with you and those masks?"

Thanqol
2013-09-07, 09:36 PM
"Perfect, I can give it to her as a gift," Tessen says, winking at Jack as she walks over to speak with Izumi as the game comes to a close.

"Izumi Hideyoshi? My name is Tessen, I DJ for a radio station and, um, I just saw that super amazing game and wondered if you'd be willing to do a short interview?" She shifts the horse mask under her arm and pulls out her notebook with a warm smile.

"Oh, yeah, sure," said Izumi, wiping her head with a towel. "Sounds cool."

And suddenly it WAS cool. It was the COOLEST THING IN THE WORLD. Tessen was INCREDIBLY LUCKY to even get the CHANCE to give this interview. And it was going to be the BEST interview of HER LIFE.

Anarion
2013-09-08, 04:15 AM
"Oh, yeah, sure," said Izumi, wiping her head with a towel. "Sounds cool."

And suddenly it WAS cool. It was the COOLEST THING IN THE WORLD. Tessen was INCREDIBLY LUCKY to even get the CHANCE to give this interview. And it was going to be the BEST interview of HER LIFE.

"I..." Tessen stutters for a second. This could be the best interview of her life, what if she screwed it up. No, don't think about that. "I was wondering how you got into soccer? What motivates you to play?" She asks.

Thanqol
2013-09-08, 04:25 AM
"I..." Tessen stutters for a second. This could be the best interview of her life, what if she screwed it up. No, don't think about that. "I was wondering how you got into soccer? What motivates you to play?" She asks.

"I guess my parents? Mom was always really intense about getting me into sport," said Izumi, shrugging.

Fortunately everything she did was so INTENSE that even the most subtle social cues were screamingly obvious, despite the affected casualness of a twenty year old. She clearly RESENTED her mother's CONTROLLING ATTITUDE but deep down IDOLIZED her!

Anarion
2013-09-08, 04:44 AM
"I guess my parents? Mom was always really intense about getting me into sport," said Izumi, shrugging.

Fortunately everything she did was so INTENSE that even the most subtle social cues were screamingly obvious, despite the affected casualness of a twenty year old. She clearly RESENTED her mother's CONTROLLING ATTITUDE but deep down IDOLIZED her!

"Well, you've gotten really good," says Tessen. "I bet your mom is proud of you. I've heard that you've recently been doing really well, which is what brought me out here. Anything happen, especially in the last week or two, that's gotten you really fired up?"

Thanqol
2013-09-08, 04:54 AM
"Well, you've gotten really good," says Tessen. "I bet your mom is proud of you. I've heard that you've recently been doing really well, which is what brought me out here. Anything happen, especially in the last week or two, that's gotten you really fired up?"

"Nah, not really," said Izumi, OBVIOUSLY LYING!!!!

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-08, 01:04 PM
Turing arched an eyebrow. "What is it with you and those masks?"

"We all wear masks, Turing." Jack said, turning to face him. He paused, simply looking at him for a moment. "Wouldn't you agree?"

The rubbery horse head held him in it's blind idiot stare for a moment longer, before turning to gaze sightlessly back towards the AMAZING INTERVIEW!

Anarion
2013-09-08, 01:39 PM
"Nah, not really," said Izumi, OBVIOUSLY LYING!!!!

"Huh, okay" says Tessen, shifting her notebook and holding up the horse head. "Well, um, a friend of mine over there" she gestures to Jack in the horse head. "He's a little bit...touched, but he's also a big fan and he wanted you to have this. I didn't think you'd like it, but maybe you could give it to a boyfriend or an admirer who might have some fun with something like that. I'm sure with how you're doing out here, there's a sweet guy rooting for you from the stands, right?" She holds out the horse head for Izumi to take.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-08, 07:09 PM
"We all wear masks, Turing." Jack said, turning to face him. He paused, simply looking at him for a moment. "Wouldn't you agree?"

The rubbery horse head held him in it's blind idiot stare for a moment longer, before turning to gaze sightlessly back towards the AMAZING INTERVIEW!

"Yes, although mine is marginally less horrifying. I was thinking more in terms of why you're wearing that specific mask." Turing continued watching Tessen's progress, able to tell that something was going on, but not quite sure about the details from the sidelines.

Thanqol
2013-09-08, 07:54 PM
"Huh, okay" says Tessen, shifting her notebook and holding up the horse head. "Well, um, a friend of mine over there" she gestures to Jack in the horse head. "He's a little bit...touched, but he's also a big fan and he wanted you to have this. I didn't think you'd like it, but maybe you could give it to a boyfriend or an admirer who might have some fun with something like that. I'm sure with how you're doing out here, there's a sweet guy rooting for you from the stands, right?" She holds out the horse head for Izumi to take.

Izumi covered her eyes and looked away, suppressing an embarrassed giggle. "Am I on Candid Camera or something? Is that what this is?"

Anarion
2013-09-09, 12:00 AM
Izumi covered her eyes and looked away, suppressing an embarrassed giggle. "Am I on Candid Camera or something? Is that what this is?"

"I wish" Tessen mumbles. "I'd be a lot more successful. But no, um, I'm just a local radio station, I go by DJ Skylark and the guy with the horsehead is DJ Firebird. You can skip the horse thing if you want, I'm just, honestly, really interested in you. You're AMAZING" Tessen says, being entirely honest as she does so.

Thanqol
2013-09-09, 01:57 AM
"I wish" Tessen mumbles. "I'd be a lot more successful. But no, um, I'm just a local radio station, I go by DJ Skylark and the guy with the horsehead is DJ Firebird. You can skip the horse thing if you want, I'm just, honestly, really interested in you. You're AMAZING" Tessen says, being entirely honest as she does so.

"I know," said Izumi with a shameless lack of humility. But it was THE TRUTH! "I paint, I rap, I can breakdance, and I can run circles around these chuckleheads who think they're athletes. Free as a bird. What's not to love?"

Though that seemed almost directed at herself.

Anarion
2013-09-09, 02:33 AM
"I know," said Izumi with a shameless lack of humility. But it was THE TRUTH! "I paint, I rap, I can breakdance, and I can run circles around these chuckleheads who think they're athletes. Free as a bird. What's not to love?"

Though that seemed almost directed at herself.

"The feeling of duty." Tessen seems like she's talking to herself more than Izumi. "The knowledge that when you can do more, you have to do more, that the faster you run, the faster the people will be who run with you."

Tessen turns back to Izumi. "Have you always felt like you do now? It's...it's really important that you tell me about how it started, even if it's hard."

Thanqol
2013-09-09, 02:43 AM
"The feeling of duty." Tessen seems like she's talking to herself more than Izumi. "The knowledge that when you can do more, you have to do more, that the faster you run, the faster the people will be who run with you."

Tessen turns back to Izumi. "Have you always felt like you do now? It's...it's really important that you tell me about how it started, even if it's hard."

That got an absolutely blank look. Like she'd just said something in a foreign language.

And then, dawning realisation: "Oh! You're the weird radio person!"

Anarion
2013-09-09, 03:17 AM
That got an absolutely blank look. Like she'd just said something in a foreign language.

And then, dawning realisation: "Oh! You're the weird radio person!"

Tessen's smile is very wide at that. "Guilty as charged, I'm sure, but knowing you've heard of me is cool, no matter what my reputation is." And it was. She knew she was getting caught up in the mana, but Izumi knowing about her show was the coolest thing ever! "Can I ask how you first heard of my show?"

Thanqol
2013-09-09, 03:28 AM
Tessen's smile is very wide at that. "Guilty as charged, I'm sure, but knowing you've heard of me is cool, no matter what my reputation is." And it was. She knew she was getting caught up in the mana, but Izumi knowing about her show was the coolest thing ever! "Can I ask how you first heard of my show?"

"Uh, dunno. It was just on one time, I guess?" said Izumi uncertainly.

Something changed, and Tessen got a buzzing in her back teeth. It was a little uncomfortable.

Anarion
2013-09-09, 10:45 AM
"Uh, dunno. It was just on one time, I guess?" said Izumi uncertainly.

Something changed, and Tessen got a buzzing in her back teeth. It was a little uncomfortable.

What was going on? Without changing her expressions Tessen activated her spirit sight and gazed into twilight and the shadow.

Thanqol
2013-09-09, 04:59 PM
What was going on? Without changing her expressions Tessen activated her spirit sight and gazed into twilight and the shadow.

It wasn't clear, but it felt like the resonance here was changing a bit. Grating. Where before in the spirit world there had been a perfected harmony of spirits surrounding Izumi, now some of them were fighting. It felt like a change she was making.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-09, 05:37 PM
Jack didn't respond to Turing as such. He watched Tessen and Izumi quietly for a moment.

"Hmm."
[Jack will activate Aura Perception, to get a good study of the Girls Aura's.
Jack will also open his Third Eye, though given the Rotes description, I don't expect to actually get any info out of it, right now.]

Thanqol
2013-09-09, 05:41 PM
Jack didn't respond to Turing as such. He watched Tessen and Izumi quietly for a moment.

"Hmm."
Jack will also open his Third Eye, though given the Rotes description, I don't expect to actually get any info out of it, right now.]

Aura: A great fire over a savannah.

Anarion
2013-09-09, 05:50 PM
It wasn't clear, but it felt like the resonance here was changing a bit. Grating. Where before in the spirit world there had been a perfected harmony of spirits surrounding Izumi, now some of them were fighting. It felt like a change she was making.

In her mind, Tessen was hurting. She knew she was probably causing pain to this young girl. But a moment before she had been dying, leaking mana flowing out of her. And now something was changing. Tessen keeps her eye on the spirit world and looks at the mana directly with prime sight as well, trying to monitor every change and shift as best she can. Is what she's doing helping or hurting this girl?

For the moment, she decides to push further and see the reaction. "Izumi, are you alright?" Tessen asks, full of concern. "It seems like something might be bothering you. If it's the interview, forget it, I won't put anything on air without your permission, but I'd like to help, um, if there's any way that I can."

Deadly
2013-09-09, 05:51 PM
Amun kept silent, letting Jack have his fun with the masks, while watching the scene. His brow furrowed a bit as he wondered what sympathies were at work here. That seemed like something that had curiously evaded their minds, or at least his, until now.

[Fate, Interconnections specifically. Any dice modifiers?]

Thanqol
2013-09-09, 05:56 PM
In her mind, Tessen was hurting. She knew she was probably causing pain to this young girl. But a moment before she had been dying, leaking mana flowing out of her. And now something was changing. Tessen keeps her eye on the spirit world and looks at the mana directly with prime sight as well, trying to monitor every change and shift as best she can. Is what she's doing helping or hurting this girl?

For the moment, she decides to push further and see the reaction. "Izumi, are you alright?" Tessen asks, full of concern. "It seems like something might be bothering you. If it's the interview, forget it, I won't put anything on air without your permission, but I'd like to help, um, if there's any way that I can."

"I'm fine," said Izumi, not really seeming to understand. The resonance actually got a little more bitter. Izumi herself wasn't having any reaction like that, it's that the mana was clashing. "Though these questions are getting really weird."

Amun kept silent, letting Jack have his fun with the masks, while watching the scene. His brow furrowed a bit as he wondered what sympathies were at work here. That seemed like something that had curiously evaded their minds, or at least his, until now.

[Fate, Interconnections specifically. Any dice modifiers?]

[Naw, roll it]

Deadly
2013-09-09, 05:58 PM
[Interconnections
Intelligence+Investigation+Fate = 7 : 8, 5, 4, 7, 6, 7, 4

One success]

Thanqol
2013-09-09, 06:19 PM
[Interconnections
Intelligence+Investigation+Fate = 7 : 8, 5, 4, 7, 6, 7, 4

One success]

[Recontextualised into fatesight:]

There were two paths plain to see. Triumph and victory, or burnout and collapse. It was not clear which one was the supernally resonant path; was she the forest or the fire?

the_druid_droid
2013-09-09, 11:22 PM

"Hmm."

[Recontextualised into fatesight:]

There were two paths plain to see. Triumph and victory, or burnout and collapse. It was not clear which one was the supernally resonant path; was she the forest or the fire?

Turing noted that the remaining mages had started to get quiet, and finally decided to speak up. "Well gentlemen, I'm all ears if you have any suggestions on how to proceed. Blind men and elephants, and all that."

Anarion
2013-09-10, 01:30 AM
"I'm fine," said Izumi, not really seeming to understand. The resonance actually got a little more bitter. Izumi herself wasn't having any reaction like that, it's that the mana was clashing. "Though these questions are getting really weird."

Tessen tries to shrug, but drops the horse head, blushes, picks it up again and tries to compose herself. "Yeah, I um, I just feel like maybe you could be really great and here I have this opportunity and I'm trying to get at what's making you tick and it feels like you're, I dunno, like you're burning yourself out for some reason and holding it back."

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-10, 10:58 PM
Turing noted that the remaining mages had started to get quiet, and finally decided to speak up. "Well gentlemen, I'm all ears if you have any suggestions on how to proceed. Blind men and elephants, and all that."

"No one ever tells that story right." Jack said quietly. "They always leave out the bit where the Elephant gets fed up of being fondled and tramples them to death."

He paused, leaving the moment hanging.

"Only if we get this wrong, it's not us who suffers." He finished, unhappily. "It would all be so much easier if it was."

Thanqol
2013-09-10, 11:07 PM
Tessen tries to shrug, but drops the horse head, blushes, picks it up again and tries to compose herself. "Yeah, I um, I just feel like maybe you could be really great and here I have this opportunity and I'm trying to get at what's making you tick and it feels like you're, I dunno, like you're burning yourself out for some reason and holding it back."

"Yeah, because you're a reporter," said Izumi, rolling her eyes. "I'm trying to get signed, girl. I'm not gonna tell the city of Detroit what's happening in my private life."

the_druid_droid
2013-09-10, 11:30 PM
"No one ever tells that story right." Jack said quietly. "They always leave out the bit where the Elephant gets fed up of being fondled and tramples them to death."

He paused, leaving the moment hanging.

"Only if we get this wrong, it's not us who suffers." He finished, unhappily. "It would all be so much easier if it was."

"Believe me, I know. But since harassing pachyderms is more or less our entire schedule for the next few weeks, we're going to have to make it work. For now, maybe it's best if we leave this to Tessen; if anything too weird starts to happen though, we're pulling her out of there."

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-11, 12:01 PM
"This whole setup just feels wrong somehow." Jack insisted. "I'm not sure I can explain it, but something just feels off."

He shifted uncomfortably, examining the chain of thought like a man with a pin and a magnifying glass examines an insect.

"I kind of just want to go over there, grab her by the shoulders and force her to tell us what we need to know. Shake her till she spills her secrets, so we can fix whatever needs fixing. But I also can't quite dismiss the thought that this, more than usual mind, is just none of our business and that either she awakens or she doesn't. Either she lives or dies, or goes mad, but that we don't have the right to meddle whatever her fate is." Jack kept his voice low, intense.

"I can't quite shake it. This feeling that what we need to do is check if anything here has the taint of the abyss on it, whether the situation has anything to do with the Scelesti's meddling and otherwise just leave it be."

He turned away from Turing to look about the area again.

"I don't know. Just...something feels very wrong, you know?" Jack breathed in slowly, his frame tense. "And it might be me."

"I'm going to go ask around."

Jack walked away.

Anarion
2013-09-11, 01:11 PM
"Yeah, because you're a reporter," said Izumi, rolling her eyes. "I'm trying to get signed, girl. I'm not gonna tell the city of Detroit what's happening in my private life."

Tessen arches an eyebrow at that. "You, um, did listen to my radio station, right? I'm trying to be a good person first, a reporter second, so when I say that I want to help, it means I want to help and that I won't be publishing anything about you without your permission. Do you need me to sign a contract or something?"

Tessen notices Jack walking away and breathes an inward sigh of relief. One less thing to explain, at least.

Deadly
2013-09-11, 05:13 PM
"I don't know. Just...something feels very wrong, you know?" Jack breathed in slowly, his frame tense. "And it might be me."

Jack walked away.

Amun listened to Jack and watched him walk off. After a moment he turned to Turing and shrugged lightly at the ground. "He's got a point. Some kind of point anyway," he said. "I'm thinking of going with him and look around," he said and pointed a thumb over his shoulder in the direction Jack had gone. "Think we should grab Tessen?"

[I swear, for just a second there I typed "pony" instead of "point". Jack's got some kind of pony, apparently]

the_druid_droid
2013-09-12, 12:10 AM

Jack walked away.

Turing nodded and gave Jack his do-what-you-have-to look, then let him go.

Amun listened to Jack and watched him walk off. After a moment he turned to Turing and shrugged lightly at the ground. "He's got a point. Some kind of point anyway," he said. "I'm thinking of going with him and look around," he said and pointed a thumb over his shoulder in the direction Jack had gone. "Think we should grab Tessen?"

[I swear, for just a second there I typed "pony" instead of "point". Jack's got some kind of pony, apparently]

Turing shook his head. "I'll keep an eye on her. Just keep Jack from getting arrested with that mask on, and if you find any Supernal revelations, it'll be icing on the cake. Have a good walk."

His smile was a little crooked, but Turing's voice was warm enough as he watched Tessen chat with Izumi down on the field.

Deadly
2013-09-12, 04:29 PM
Turing shook his head. "I'll keep an eye on her. Just keep Jack from getting arrested with that mask on, and if you find any Supernal revelations, it'll be icing on the cake. Have a good walk."

His smile was a little crooked, but Turing's voice was warm enough as he watched Tessen chat with Izumi down on the field.

"Fair enough," Amun said with a nod. "Give a call or something if you need us." He took another brief look at Tessen talking to Izumi before turning to catch up with Jack.

"Yo," he said as he trudged along, still slightly behind Jack. "Think it's a safe bet that others know something? How much should I let ride on it?"

the_druid_droid
2013-09-12, 11:05 PM
"Fair enough," Amun said with a nod. "Give a call or something if you need us." He took another brief look at Tessen talking to Izumi before turning to catch up with Jack.

"I will. At the very least I'll try to let you know where we're meeting once Tessen is finished." Turing waved goodbye, and then turned his attention to the crowd, curious to see how Sleepers would be reacting to the magically-fueled game.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-12, 11:10 PM
"They probably don't know anything." Jack shrugged. "But they've also less reason to keep secrets, what with it not being theirs we're going fishing for."

Jack looked around to see what he could see. There should still be plenty of people around from the team Izumi had just finished brutalising, he figured. It was hard not to talk about that kind of stuff when you'd just been through as frustrating an experience as that.

He sought them out.

Thanqol
2013-09-13, 12:08 AM
Tessen arches an eyebrow at that. "You, um, did listen to my radio station, right? I'm trying to be a good person first, a reporter second, so when I say that I want to help, it means I want to help and that I won't be publishing anything about you without your permission. Do you need me to sign a contract or something?"

Tessen notices Jack walking away and breathes an inward sigh of relief. One less thing to explain, at least.

[Wits+Composure - success]

Tessen noticed that every time she said 'I', 'me', 'my', or anything similar the mana got a little bit more unpleasant and tainted. It was actually starting to make her teeth seriously ache.

"If I want a shrink, I'll get a shrink, all right?" said Izumi flatly.

He sought them out.

The people there were infused with all that surplus mana, talking animatedly about how they got their asses kicked and how they were going to have to train harder to keep up. There was an incredibly strong animus among them, even in defeat.

Anarion
2013-09-13, 01:27 AM
[Wits+Composure - success]

Tessen noticed that every time she said 'I', 'me', 'my', or anything similar the mana got a little bit more unpleasant and tainted. It was actually starting to make her teeth seriously ache.

"If I want a shrink, I'll get a shrink, all right?" said Izumi flatly.

[Could you clarify that pronoun? I think you mean every time Izumi says "I" "me" or "my" but it's possible you mean Tessen.]

Thanqol
2013-09-13, 01:43 AM
[Could you clarify that pronoun? I think you mean every time Izumi says "I" "me" or "my" but it's possible you mean Tessen.]

[Every time Tessen starts talking about herself in any way, shape or form]

Anarion
2013-09-13, 07:21 PM
[Every time Tessen starts talking about herself in any way, shape or form]

[Taking Deadly's advice.]

"Okay then," says Tessen. "Let's not waste this chance, um okay? You want to get signed. So, some publicity should be good for that. What do you, Izumi, want the public to know about you?"

Thanqol
2013-09-14, 03:47 AM
[Taking Deadly's advice.]

"Okay then," says Tessen. "Let's not waste this chance, um okay? You want to get signed. So, some publicity should be good for that. What do you, Izumi, want the public to know about you?"

The tension that had been drawn out over the conversation so far dispelled so suddenly and violently it sent a shockwave through Tessen's pattern; a dizzying rush of purified mana.

[Condition: Starstruck
Tessen is stuck in a positive feedback loop with Izumi, unable to think of herself except in relation to her. Any success on a social roll from Izumi against Tessen is automatically upgraded to an Exceptional Success.
Resolution: Either has to do something exceedingly dramatic on Izumi's behalf or witness Izumi failing at something]

"Well," said Izumi, smiling now that the conversation's tone had changed. "I just enjoy the game. All the work, all the practise, all the study - and there's a lot of that - just becomes worthwhile when I'm on the field and putting on a show. People want to see the best so I gotta be the best."

Anarion
2013-09-14, 12:48 PM
The tension that had been drawn out over the conversation so far dispelled so suddenly and violently it sent a shockwave through Tessen's pattern; a dizzying rush of purified mana.

[Condition: Starstruck
Tessen is stuck in a positive feedback loop with Izumi, unable to think of herself except in relation to her. Any success on a social roll from Izumi against Tessen is automatically upgraded to an Exceptional Success.
Resolution: Either has to do something exceedingly dramatic on Izumi's behalf or witness Izumi failing at something]

"Well," said Izumi, smiling now that the conversation's tone had changed. "I just enjoy the game. All the work, all the practise, all the study - and there's a lot of that - just becomes worthwhile when I'm on the field and putting on a show. People want to see the best so I gotta be the best."

Tessen is in full interview mode at this point. All she can think if is the best way to tell Izumi's story.

"Wow, that is really dedicated. What do you think has been the best part of your journey so far?"

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-14, 03:19 PM
Jack attached himself to a nearby group, casually.
"Wow." He said. "That was pretty incredible. You guys were really up against it there, I'm not sure I've seen anyone play like her before. There's got to be one hell of a story behind a player like that, right?"

the_druid_droid
2013-09-15, 01:32 AM
Not seeing any immediate threats to Tessen's well-being, Turing decided he might as well work his own section of the crowd, spotting a few stragglers hanging out a few seats below.

"That was some game; is this team Division 1?"

Thanqol
2013-09-15, 03:05 AM
Tessen is in full interview mode at this point. All she can think if is the best way to tell Izumi's story.

"Wow, that is really dedicated. What do you think has been the best part of your journey so far?"

1. What's your favorite part of the game?
2. Who inspired you to start playing?
3. What athlete do you most admire right now?
4. What advice would you give someone just starting out on their athletic career?
5. Last words for your fans or anyone else you want to thank."

The answers were all perfect and perfectly generic, completely interchangeable with any interview with any famous athlete. The side effect of this was that it was impossible to draw any spiritually insightful information from the questions.

The only one that stood out was the 'favorite part of the game' question - the answer was a straightforwards, "When I actually get to play the game". It was the only thing that seemed personal to her.

Jack attached himself to a nearby group, casually.
"Wow." He said. "That was pretty incredible. You guys were really up against it there, I'm not sure I've seen anyone play like her before. There's got to be one hell of a story behind a player like that, right?"

"Yeah, I know, right?" said one of the guys, and then spilled his energy drink when he realised his social circle had been infiltrated by a guy with a rubber horse head.

Anarion
2013-09-15, 02:09 PM
The only one that stood out was the 'favorite part of the game' question - the answer was a straightforwards, "When I actually get to play the game". It was the only thing that seemed personal to her.

Well, a hook was a hook.

"Quick followup question there. Has getting a chance to play been an issue for you?"

Deadly
2013-09-15, 05:53 PM
Amun managed to get himself in possession of Jack's phone before the horse-headed mage ran off to talk with the college kids. Amun held the phone and looked around. On a bit of a whim, he decided to see if he could spot anyone who didn't look wowed or star-struck by Izumi's display.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-15, 06:02 PM
"Yeah, I know, right?" said one of the guys, and then spilled his energy drink when he realised his social circle had been infiltrated by a guy with a rubber horse head.

"What, something in my teeth?" Jack Horse asked.

"Seriously though, who is that girl? It's like watching Ronaldo's love-child out there. Since when did we have an international soccer star hanging around campus?"

Jack put out some more prompts, hoping to keep the topic on Izumi and maybe bait some information out of them by encouraging them to correct his guesswork.

Thanqol
2013-09-16, 06:10 AM
Well, a hook was a hook.

"Quick followup question there. Has getting a chance to play been an issue for you?"

"Nah, just usual stuff with homework, classes, all that. Too many things I want to be good at,"

Amun managed to get himself in possession of Jack's phone before the horse-headed mage ran off to talk with the college kids. Amun held the phone and looked around. On a bit of a whim, he decided to see if he could spot anyone who didn't look wowed or star-struck by Izumi's display.

The influence looked pretty pervasive, although it seemed pretty strongly based off physical proximity. By the time he'd walked to the other half of the campus the effect had faded to nothing.

"What, something in my teeth?" Jack Horse asked.

"Seriously though, who is that girl? It's like watching Ronaldo's love-child out there. Since when did we have an international soccer star hanging around campus?"

Jack put out some more prompts, hoping to keep the topic on Izumi and maybe bait some information out of them by encouraging them to correct his guesswork.

After a moment of staring, there was an audible click in the guy's head which Jack could recognise as him deciding this was some weird mascot thing.

"Oh, Izumi. She just went mental good after the breakup," said the guy, getting up and heading towards the showers. "Guess he was holding her back,"

Anarion
2013-09-16, 11:58 AM
"Nah, just usual stuff with homework, classes, all that. Too many things I want to be good at,"

"Okay, alright then. Um, thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview with me. Um, I know it's still weird, but the horse er..." Tessen actually looks at the thing, "the unicorn head really is for you. You can throw it out if you want or do whatever, but it's a gift." Tessen hands it to Izumi. "I'll be putting this on the air tonight, if you want to listen. Just the interview parts, of course."

Tessen then takes out a piece of paper and writes her shadow name and phone number on it. "If you ever need anything or want some help, or another chance to be on the air, give me a call, okay?"

Deadly
2013-09-16, 06:43 PM
Amun shrugged. It was probably a good sign that no one was watching who wasn't affected. He picked up the phone and typed in a number from memory, one of his old friends in the world of news.

[Going to use The Perfect Moment (Fate 2) or something improvised to the same effect: Amun wants to call at the most opportune moment, so that the person on the other end is more willing to give Amun the information he wants on Izumi. Modifiers?]

the_druid_droid
2013-09-17, 12:10 AM
Tessen then takes out a piece of paper and writes her shadow name and phone number on it. "If you ever need anything or want some help, or another chance to be on the air, give me a call, okay?"

Noticing that Tessen seemed to be wrapping things up, Turing began walking toward the field, still keeping an eye on the Obrimos' interactions with Izumi.

Thanqol
2013-09-17, 08:13 AM
"Okay, alright then. Um, thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview with me. Um, I know it's still weird, but the horse er..." Tessen actually looks at the thing, "the unicorn head really is for you. You can throw it out if you want or do whatever, but it's a gift." Tessen hands it to Izumi. "I'll be putting this on the air tonight, if you want to listen. Just the interview parts, of course."

"Uh, thanks," Izumi held out the unicorn head kind of awkwardly. "I'll keep that in mind,"

Amun shrugged. It was probably a good sign that no one was watching who wasn't affected. He picked up the phone and typed in a number from memory, one of his old friends in the world of news.

[Going to use The Perfect Moment (Fate 2) or something improvised to the same effect: Amun wants to call at the most opportune moment, so that the person on the other end is more willing to give Amun the information he wants on Izumi. Modifiers?]

[If you're using contacts, what are you after here? The top-down story is going to be that this kid isn't even on the radar yet]

Anarion
2013-09-17, 09:26 PM
"Uh, thanks," Izumi held out the unicorn head kind of awkwardly. "I'll keep that in mind,"

Tessen thanks Izumi again and walks back to Turing.

"Well, I think I got a pretty good interview" she tells Turing proudly.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-17, 11:28 PM
Tessen thanks Izumi again and walks back to Turing.

"Well, I think I got a pretty good interview" she tells Turing proudly.

Turing raised an eyebrow at Tessen's tone, but smiled anyway. "Yeah? Well, you should put it on the radio tonight - at least the stuff that won't get her dragged off in a Seer van. But more to the point, did you figure out anything about her Awakening? What's going on with it, besides being a super-athlete?"

As they got farther away from the lingering knots of people, Turing lit a cigarette, hoping a nicotine buzz would help his focus.

Anarion
2013-09-17, 11:32 PM
Turing raised an eyebrow at Tessen's tone, but smiled anyway. "Yeah? Well, you should put it on the radio tonight - at least the stuff that won't get her dragged off in a Seer van. But more to the point, did you figure out anything about her Awakening? What's going on with it, besides being a super-athlete?"

As they got farther away from the lingering knots of people, Turing lit a cigarette, hoping a nicotine buzz would help his focus.

"Well, I'm pretty sure it started a week ago. She lied to me about nothing happening back then. And it's got something to do with, um, attention on her. When I was talking about myself, the mana started getting all weird and made my teeth hurt, but then when I brought it back to her, suddenly everything was amazing, and she's totally amazing."

Anarion
2013-09-17, 11:34 PM
"Oh, and I got her to take the unicorn head mask that Jack gave me, so maybe he can scry her now? What's up with him and those masks anyway?" Tessen adds.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-18, 12:01 AM
"Oh, and I got her to take the unicorn head mask that Jack gave me, so maybe he can scry her now? What's up with him and those masks anyway?" Tessen adds.

Turing gave her an odd look and shrugged. "Hell if I know. Did you get any kind of read on things yourself though? Any clues about what Path she's trying to take?"

Anarion
2013-09-18, 01:18 AM
Turing gave her an odd look and shrugged. "Hell if I know. Did you get any kind of read on things yourself though? Any clues about what Path she's trying to take?"

"Your note from the Silver Ladder listed her as 'highly creative' right? I'd been figuring that with that and the whole soccer thing she's probably going to be Thyrsus. But...um, maybe not? I don't really know. I'm not even sure if we're approaching this right, or if I should have made the mana resonance stronger or weaker. Maybe she's a future Moros and I should have pushed things to make her feel agitated?"

Thanqol
2013-09-18, 08:58 AM
It's at this point where Tessen was approached by a big, black man wearing a blue shirt. He held up an ID pass and said, "University security, ma'am. I'm going to have to see some ID,"

[Streetwise 3+ This guy's walk was less 'private security guard' and more 'Very Professional Underworld Bodyguard'; something about how he's always angled to have Izumi in his field of view.]

Amun's Fate spell went off, and he found himself getting a busy line, which meant he was nearby and paying attention when this was happening.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-18, 09:20 AM
After a moment of staring, there was an audible click in the guy's head which Jack could recognise as him deciding this was some weird mascot thing.

"Oh, Izumi. She just went mental good after the breakup," said the guy, getting up and heading towards the showers. "Guess he was holding her back,"

"No way. Is he okay? I mean, the poor dumb schmuck's got to be kicking himself pretty bad at this point!" Jack queried, keeping his tone light be a little commiseratory. If he was lucky, he might just be able to tease a last little nugget of information out of the conversation before they escaped him to the safety of the locker room.
"Do we need to get people watching Ambassador Bridge in case he decides to take a swim or something?" He laughed, conspiratorially. The kind of laugh that would tell the listener that it was funny because we've all been there, right?

Thanqol
2013-09-18, 09:31 AM
"No way. Is he okay? I mean, the poor dumb schmuck's got to be kicking himself pretty bad at this point!"

"Ahah-ha ha, not really, his leg got broken," said the kid, looking uncomfortable. "He says it was an accident, but he says that like, you know? Like... boaking-accident, (http://youtu.be/YqmdiiqIRA8) accident."

Anarion
2013-09-18, 11:15 AM
It's at this point where Tessen was approached by a big, black man wearing a blue shirt. He held up an ID pass and said, "University security, ma'am. I'm going to have to see some ID,"

[Streetwise 3+ This guy's walk was less 'private security guard' and more 'Very Professional Underworld Bodyguard'; something about how he's always angled to have Izumi in his field of view.]

Amun's Fate spell went off, and he found himself getting a busy line, which meant he was nearby and paying attention when this was happening.

"ID? Um, what for? Isn't this an open campus?"

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-18, 12:25 PM
"Wow, that's rough." Jack commiserated. He slowed to a halt casually. Either the kid had more he'd like to say on the matter, or he'd take the chance to let the conversation end naturally.
"Not a lucky guy." He shrugged.

Deadly
2013-09-18, 05:50 PM

Amun shrugged at the phone and looked up. Now this, on the other hand, was interesting. Was Izumi aware that she had a professional bodyguard? Amun sidled closer, trying to get a look at the ID the man was holding up.

Thanqol
2013-09-18, 11:23 PM
"ID? Um, what for? Isn't this an open campus?"

"Ma'am, you are carrying a firearm on school grounds. I'm going to need to see some ID and a permit for that gun," said the guard in the vaguely threatening tone of a bored policeman who's about to charge you with something.

"Wow, that's rough." Jack commiserated. He slowed to a halt casually. Either the kid had more he'd like to say on the matter, or he'd take the chance to let the conversation end naturally.
"Not a lucky guy." He shrugged.

"Tsh, he knew what he was getting in to," said the kid. "Anyway, probably shouldn't be talking about this. What's with the, uh... head?"

Amun shrugged at the phone and looked up. Now this, on the other hand, was interesting. Was Izumi aware that she had a professional bodyguard? Amun sidled closer, trying to get a look at the ID the man was holding up.

It said "Fred Millstone, Markirov Security"; an exceptionally generic looking badge and firm name. Wasn't one he'd heard of.

Anarion
2013-09-18, 11:27 PM
"Ma'am, you are carrying a firearm on school grounds. I'm going to need to see some ID and a permit for that gun,"

"Oh, um, I didn't realize that was a problem. I have the permit right here."

She fishes into her purse and pulls out the gun permit and her license.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-18, 11:48 PM
While the officer talked with Tessen, Turing remained by her side, smoking and leaning on his cane. He'd had to deal with officious campus police before, and generally found ignoring them to be the most effective strategy.

He was slightly worried about Tessen's gun, but they could deal with that when they had to. They were there with two Acanthus mages, after all - something would turn up.

Thanqol
2013-09-19, 12:10 AM
"Oh, um, I didn't realize that was a problem. I have the permit right here."

She fishes into her purse and pulls out the gun permit and her license.

The guard looked over the ID for a moment, then took a picture of it with his smartphone. After a minute he got a text message back and looked at it.

"Miss White, civilian firearms are prohibited on university grounds," said the guard. "I'm going to have to confiscate the weapon and pat you down or ask you to leave."

Anarion
2013-09-19, 12:11 AM
The guard looked over the ID for a moment, then took a picture of it with his smartphone. After a minute he got a text message back and looked at it.

"Miss White, civilian firearms are prohibited on university grounds," said the guard. "I'm going to have to confiscate the weapon and pat you down or ask you to leave."

[Guess that's a no on the Turing intervention.]

"I was just leaving, actually, my apologies, I didn't know there was a rule about it."

Thanqol
2013-09-19, 12:16 AM
[Guess that's a no on the Turing intervention.]

"I was just leaving, actually, my apologies, I didn't know there was a rule about it."

"One of my colleagues will escort you off the premises," said the bodyguard, as another - far more rent-a-cop looking - security guard showed up.

Anarion
2013-09-19, 12:18 AM
"One of my colleagues will escort you off the premises," said the bodyguard, as another - far more rent-a-cop looking - security guard showed up.

Tessen prepares to go with the man.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-19, 01:56 AM
"No, no. Ah, you were so close. You're supposed to say why the long face." Jack replied. "But I'm not sure I follow. Why shouldn't we be talking about this?"

Deadly
2013-09-19, 07:08 PM
Amun pulled the phone out, as he continued on his way casually, and typed a quick message to Tessen. "He had his eyes on her the whole time. Not a guy you should trust." Amun made sure the message could be denied as something unrelated, should any of the guards demand to see it. Maybe there wasn't really anything to do at this point, but at least Tessen could make of that what she felt was best

Anarion
2013-09-19, 07:39 PM
Tessen looked at her phone when it buzzed, then put it back away. She continued to follow the man as he was leading her out of campus, but checked him over with forces vision to see what electronics he had on him.

[Smartphone already noted, but anything else, watch, earpiece etc. would be good to know.]

Thanqol
2013-09-19, 08:18 PM
Tessen looked at her phone when it buzzed, then put it back away. She continued to follow the man as he was leading her out of campus, but checked him over with forces vision to see what electronics he had on him.

[Smartphone already noted, but anything else, watch, earpiece etc. would be good to know.]

Nothing out of the ordinary; he was a rent-a-cop.

Just as she was nearing the edge of campus, Tessen got a phone call.

"Hello, my name is Harvey Crocker from Hubert and Sons Legal. I understand that you are a reporter and just interviewed my client's daughter, miss Izumi?"

Anarion
2013-09-19, 08:37 PM

"Hello, my name is Harvey Crocker from Hubert and Sons Legal. I understand that you are a reporter and just interviewed my client's daughter, miss Izumi?"

"That's correct. It will be airing on the radio this evening" Tessen says.

Thanqol
2013-09-19, 08:42 PM
"That's correct. It will be airing on the radio this evening" Tessen says.

"I would like to request that you do not air that interview. Miss Izumi is going through a rough time right now and the last thing she needs is more public scrutiny," said the lawyer.

Anarion
2013-09-19, 08:43 PM
"I would like to request that you do not air that interview. Miss Izumi is going through a rough time right now and the last thing she needs is more public scrutiny," said the lawyer.

"Really? She seemed very interested in publicity when I spoke to her. She was quite open about wanting to be signed and I assure you the interview is overwhelmingly positive."

the_druid_droid
2013-09-19, 10:36 PM
Tessen prepares to go with the man.

Turing stayed by her side, not saying anything, but bringing up Matter sight to get a read on how the guards around them were armed.

When the call came through and Turing overheard an unfamiliar voice on the other end of the phone, he shot Tessen a quick look, somewhere between worry and a question.

Anarion
2013-09-19, 10:41 PM
When the call came through and Turing overheard an unfamiliar voice on the other end of the phone, he shot Tessen a quick look, somewhere between worry and a question.

Tessen puts her hand over the phone voice receiver. "It's a lawyer for Izumi's parents, doesn't want me to publish her interview" she whispers, while listening for the response.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-19, 10:44 PM
Tessen puts her hand over the phone voice receiver. "It's a lawyer for Izumi's parents, doesn't want me to publish her interview" she whispers, while listening for the response.

That was fast.

The security guard, the picture, and now this lawyer were all raising hairs on Turing's neck. Pretty clear that nothing was going to be as direct as he'd hoped.

Thanqol
2013-09-19, 10:45 PM
"Really? She seemed very interested in publicity when I spoke to her. She was quite open about wanting to be signed and I assure you the interview is overwhelmingly positive."

"Nevertheless, her career path is not in doubt and it would be best for the family if media attention right now is kept to a minimum, of all sorts. Please consider this a formal request," said the lawyer.

Anarion
2013-09-19, 11:02 PM
"Nevertheless, her career path is not in doubt and it would be best for the family if media attention right now is kept to a minimum, of all sorts. Please consider this a formal request," said the lawyer.

"Um, pardon, but a formal request with what weight, exactly? I'm not publishing anything untrue or insulting about her. If Izumi herself would prefer I don't put the interview on the air, I'm happy to comply. But, um, you'd need to put her on the phone so she can tell me herself."

Thanqol
2013-09-20, 12:37 AM
"No, no. Ah, you were so close. You're supposed to say why the long face." Jack replied. "But I'm not sure I follow. Why shouldn't we be talking about this?"

[Whoops, missed this one]

"Look, I dunno. Her family's connected, all right?" said the kid and it was unlikely Jack was gonna get anything more out of him without applying pressure.

"Um, pardon, but a formal request with what weight, exactly? I'm not publishing anything untrue or insulting about her. If Izumi herself would prefer I don't put the interview on the air, I'm happy to comply. But, um, you'd need to put her on the phone so she can tell me herself."

"This request comes from Mister Hideyoshi, who has instructed me to discourage any media attention towards his family right now. We cannot stop you if you go ahead but it would be appreciated if you would respect the family's wishes," said the lawyer.

Anarion
2013-09-20, 02:43 AM
"This request comes from Mister Hideyoshi, who has instructed me to discourage any media attention towards his family right now. We cannot stop you if you go ahead but it would be appreciated if you would respect the family's wishes," said the lawyer.

"Um, I think you're misunderstanding me. Izumi is an adult. I interviewed her and she was eager to be broadcasted. I intend to obey her wishes, even if they run against the desires of her father. If she doesn't want to have her interview broadcasted, you have my number."

*click* Tessen hangs up the phone.

Thanqol
2013-09-20, 03:14 AM
That left them on the edge of campus by themselves.

Anarion
2013-09-20, 03:15 AM
That left them on the edge of campus by themselves.

Tessen turns to Turing. "I, um, I hope I wasn't too harsh there."

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-20, 01:11 PM
"What? I don't..." Jack blinked inside the mask. "Oh! Oh right! Sorry, forget I asked! Wouldn't want to get involved in my own little...boaking accident, like, uh what did you say the guys name was?" he asked off handedly.

Thanqol
2013-09-20, 09:05 PM
"What? I don't..." Jack blinked inside the mask. "Oh! Oh right! Sorry, forget I asked! Wouldn't want to get involved in my own little...boaking accident, like, uh what did you say the guys name was?" he asked off handedly.

"Andrew Darrow," said the kid.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-20, 09:19 PM
"Yeah, that was it. Wouldn't want to end up Boaking with Andy." Jack horse laughed nervously. "Catch you later, man."

He raised his hand vaguely, gave a half-nod of his horse-face and strolled away.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Thanqol
2013-09-20, 09:35 PM
"Yeah, that was it. Wouldn't want to end up Boaking with Andy." Jack horse laughed nervously. "Catch you later, man."

He raised his hand vaguely, gave a half-nod of his horse-face and strolled away.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Jack's path was free of creepy lawyer calls.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-21, 12:34 AM
Tessen turns to Turing. "I, um, I hope I wasn't too harsh there."

"Mmm." Turing nodded, "You know, I think I caught something about 'lawyer' there. Maybe that thing about spending was more literal than we thought; after all, they heard about you awfully fast..."

Anarion
2013-09-21, 12:36 AM
"Mmm." Turing nodded, "You know, I think I caught something about 'lawyer' there. Maybe that thing about spending was more literal than we thought; after all, they heard about you awfully fast..."

"I think that guard was working for them. The lawyer said he represented Izumi's parents and they didn't want any publicity because of... um he didn't say, but something recent made them not want publicity. But, like I said, I'm doing what Izumi wants, even if she disagrees with her parents."

the_druid_droid
2013-09-21, 12:44 AM
"I think that guard was working for them. The lawyer said he represented Izumi's parents and they didn't want any publicity because of... um he didn't say, but something recent made them not want publicity. But, like I said, I'm doing what Izumi wants, even if she disagrees with her parents."

"Ok, just be careful. Normal campus security doesn't text a family's personal lawyer over something like this. The whole thing is a little off, even if I don't know what the game is."

Anarion
2013-09-21, 01:01 AM
"Ok, just be careful. Normal campus security doesn't text a family's personal lawyer over something like this. The whole thing is a little off, even if I don't know what the game is."

"Mm, I probably shouldn't have given him my ID like that. Amun texted me not to trust him."

She scribbles down "Harvey Crocker from Hubert and Sons Legal" into her notebook, seeing if she can get anything.

Thanqol
2013-09-21, 01:07 AM
"Mm, I probably shouldn't have given him my ID like that. Amun texted me not to trust him."

She scribbles down "Harvey Crocker from Hubert and Sons Legal" into her notebook, seeing if she can get anything.

"He asks nicely, but makes examples."

Anarion
2013-09-21, 01:12 AM
"He asks nicely, but makes examples."

[The one time I want you to be obscure and you throw a clear as day warning at me.]

"Good luck to him" Tessen mutters. "Cmon Turing, let's go meet Jack and see if we can scry Izumi before the radio broadcast."

Deadly
2013-09-21, 04:04 PM
Amun wandered about until he found himself back with Tessen and Turing. "So, she has a bodyguard," he said casually. "I wonder if she knows."

the_druid_droid
2013-09-22, 01:14 AM
[The one time I want you to be obscure and you throw a clear as day warning at me.]

"Good luck to him" Tessen mutters. "Cmon Turing, let's go meet Jack and see if we can scry Izumi before the radio broadcast."

Turing sighed and walked off with Tessen, making sure to stay close to her. "Two can play that game..."

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-22, 09:15 PM
Jack idly reached for his phone to send word of his little discoveries to Tessen or Turing, before realising that he'd just loaned the phone to Amun mere moments ago, and now there was no sign of the scamp.

Perhaps just this once. Jack mused.

[Scrying, target of Tessen. Is there enough dice penalty to make the roll necessary/meaningful? I'm figuring at the minimum, such a casting would provide Jack with an idea of where they've all got to. And if he needs to open up an actual scrying window, he could literally slip it onto the inside of the horse-mask where only he could see it. Also, once and if the scrying is put in place, can Jack open a scrying window on the other side for the person to communicate, or did that need someone on the other side paying attention with the right skills?
Consider this a test of some sort.]

Thanqol
2013-09-23, 03:49 AM
[Scrying, target of Tessen. Is there enough dice penalty to make the roll necessary/meaningful? I'm figuring at the minimum, such a casting would provide Jack with an idea of where they've all got to. And if he needs to open up an actual scrying window, he could literally slip it onto the inside of the horse-mask where only he could see it. Also, once and if the scrying is put in place, can Jack open a scrying window on the other side for the person to communicate, or did that need someone on the other side paying attention with the right skills?
Consider this a test of some sort.]

[-2 from your connection, -4 for not knowing her real name, -6 total. However knowing the direction your friends went in is just a basic Space cantrip, not worried about that.

An internal-mask scrying window is fine but you won't be able to see where you're going. Windows are two-way so someone else can talk through it but if there are Sleepers nearby that'll become vulgar unless appropriately concealled]

the_druid_droid
2013-09-23, 11:45 PM
When the reverse-centaur appeared, Turing waved him over. "Any luck on your end? We got the whole vaguely-threatening treatment with the direct approach. Something tells me Izumi is Daddy's little girl."

Anarion
2013-09-23, 11:49 PM
When the reverse-centaur appeared, Turing waved him over. "Any luck on your end? We got the whole vaguely-threatening treatment with the direct approach. Something tells me Izumi is Daddy's little girl."

"I'm, not so sure" says Tessen. "Her Dad's obviously protective, but I don't think Izumi herself was in on it. Did she even know she had the guard?"

the_druid_droid
2013-09-23, 11:52 PM
"I'm, not so sure" says Tessen. "Her Dad's obviously protective, but I don't think Izumi herself was in on it. Did she even know she had the guard?"

"Tessen, I may only be an uncle, but let me assure you that Daddy's little girl can be an entirely one-sided relationship. It actually might be worse that way."

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-24, 09:50 AM
"You want to be careful with that, Turing. A little intimidating might just be a pre-cursor to a nasty boaking accident." Jack horse said, seriously.
"Our little Izumi had a nasty breakup with her boyfriend about a week ago. He got a broken leg into the deal, and word is that isn't because of over exuberance. We're probably looking at some kind of mob family, if we're lucky. The breakup seems to be key to all this exceptionalism though."

"Kids name is Andrew Darrow."

the_druid_droid
2013-09-24, 11:23 PM
"You want to be careful with that, Turing. A little intimidating might just be a pre-cursor to a nasty boaking accident." Jack horse said, seriously.
"Our little Izumi had a nasty breakup with her boyfriend about a week ago. He got a broken leg into the deal, and word is that isn't because of over exuberance. We're probably looking at some kind of mob family, if we're lucky. The breakup seems to be key to all this exceptionalism though."

"Kids name is Andrew Darrow."

Turing nodded. "It doesn't really surprise me, I guess. Important question number two is: are they a mob family, or a magical mob family? Because if it's the latter it makes things really problematic."

He thought for a moment, watching kids come and go across campus. "Well, in any case we should probably look up this kid."

Anarion
2013-09-25, 12:17 AM
"This never seems to help, but I suppose it can't hurt either."

Tessen writes Andrew Darrow into the notebook.

Thanqol
2013-09-25, 03:54 AM
"This never seems to help, but I suppose it can't hurt either."

Tessen writes Andrew Darrow into the notebook.

"Played Around With Fire"

Anarion
2013-09-25, 03:10 PM
"Played Around With Fire"

Tessen sighs a bit at that and then turns back to Turing. "So, rest of the day. I'm doing the interview broadcast this evening, but until then should we head back, try and find this Andrew Darrow guy, or um, something else?"

Deadly
2013-09-25, 05:24 PM
"Magical Mystery Mob Meddling," Amun sighed and absently handed Jack his phone. "Well, we need more enemies, right? Or to rile up the ones we already have. We may as well use the time we have now, see if we can find this guy and how far we can get before we escalate things."

the_druid_droid
2013-09-25, 11:46 PM
Tessen sighs a bit at that and then turns back to Turing. "So, rest of the day. I'm doing the interview broadcast this evening, but until then should we head back, try and find this Andrew Darrow guy, or um, something else?"

"I'm all for looking for him, but we should have a plan - he's not very likely to outright tell us anything we don't already know. Also, you might have to take point again, since Jack and I aren't the most reassuring people to meet after a run-in with your ex-girlfriend's legitmate businessman father."

Anarion
2013-09-25, 11:56 PM
"I'm all for looking for him, but we should have a plan - he's not very likely to outright tell us anything we don't already know. Also, you might have to take point again, since Jack and I aren't the most reassuring people to meet after a run-in with your ex-girlfriend's legitmate businessman father."

"Okay." Tessen looks over at the scrying window. "Jack, can you find where this guy is?"

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-27, 08:38 PM
Jack shrugged awkwardly.
"I don't know. Maybe? I could always just run the guy's name through the internet see if it gives us anything. Maybe check the phonebook?"

Jack brought up one of the many online phonebook type websites, typed in Andrew Darrow, Detroit MI.

[Boost effort with Improvised "Winds of Chance" style fate magic? Maybe make the search more likely to return an address and/or additional details rather than just a name/list of names? There are plenty of sites like that, but no guarantee they have the info we're looking for, after all.]

the_druid_droid
2013-09-27, 11:16 PM
Jack shrugged awkwardly.
"I don't know. Maybe? I could always just run the guy's name through the internet see if it gives us anything. Maybe check the phonebook?"

Jack brought up one of the many online phonebook type websites, typed in Andrew Darrow, Detroit MI.

"The Internet isn't a bad idea. If he's like most college students I remember, he's probably got a page somewhere with way too much information on it. Never had much luck convincing my students how stupid that was..."

Thanqol
2013-09-27, 11:20 PM
Jack shrugged awkwardly.

[Boost effort with Improvised "Winds of Chance" style fate magic? Maybe make the search more likely to return an address and/or additional details rather than just a name/list of names? There are plenty of sites like that, but no guarantee they have the info we're looking for, after all.]

[Make an Int+Computer at +3 to find this kid's facebook page where he's posted his name, identity, and location due to smartphone tracking app like an idiot.]

Thanqol
2013-09-28, 02:45 AM
Jack was able to locate Andrew's facebook page, home address, and current hospital location easily. It was kind of embarrassing.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-28, 06:22 PM
"Here, make a note Tess." Jack showed her the screen with Andrew's address and current hospital location. "I'm going to do a bit of digging on his facebook page, see if I can't cyber-stalk back through his past. Say, about a week back?"

Jack waited for Tessen to get the information down before hitting Andy's Facebook page, paying particular attention to any visible updates concerning events immediately before and after the rough figure of a week ago, as well as any pictures attached to the account or with him tagged in.

You never knew what you could learn with a little bit of snooping and keeping an eye on the emotional context trapped in the digital amber of a simple jpg.

Anarion
2013-09-28, 06:30 PM
Tessen took down the info and, unless Turing had any other suggestions, had the two of them head to the hospital.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-29, 12:16 AM
"Here, make a note Tess." Jack showed her the screen with Andrew's address and current hospital location. "I'm going to do a bit of digging on his facebook page, see if I can't cyber-stalk back through his past. Say, about a week back?"

"What did I tell you? Scary, isn't it?" Turing accompanied them toward the hospital, wondering if there was a good way to magically scrub oneself from the Internet.

Thanqol
2013-09-29, 02:33 AM

Jack waited for Tessen to get the information down before hitting Andy's Facebook page, paying particular attention to any visible updates concerning events immediately before and after the rough figure of a week ago, as well as any pictures attached to the account or with him tagged in.

You never knew what you could learn with a little bit of snooping and keeping an eye on the emotional context trapped in the digital amber of a simple jpg.

Usual collection of outraged condemnations of Syria's civil war, memes, THANKS OBAMA, idle chatter. Then there was something about a big party on a Friday evening. Then it was total silence for four days and then 'yep, doing fine'. Two days later a friend posted a photograph of him in a hospital bed with both legs broken, bringing out the usual outpouring of 'get well soon' and so forth.

Tessen took down the info and, unless Turing had any other suggestions, had the two of them head to the hospital.

Reasonably nice private hospital. Long line, though, and security a little above what you'd see at the typical public ER. It wasn't Fort Knox or anything but getting in would be non trivial.

Anarion
2013-09-29, 02:45 AM
Reasonably nice private hospital. Long line, though, and security a little above what you'd see at the typical public ER. It wasn't Fort Knox or anything but getting in would be non trivial.

Tessen simply goes to stand in line, naively and blissfully confident that when she reaches the desk and asks for her friend Andrew Darrow, they'll be happy to tell her how to visit him.

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-29, 08:51 PM
Jack absently flicked through the kid's facebook. Far as he could see, there weren't many direct traces of Izumi here, references or pictures or conversations. It was hard to make anything much out of it.

Almost on a whim, Jack ran his home address through google to see what kind of place it looked like, family home, flat, halls of residence or otherwise.

the_druid_droid
2013-09-29, 11:48 PM
Tessen simply goes to stand in line, naively and blissfully confident that when she reaches the desk and asks for her friend Andrew Darrow, they'll be happy to tell her how to visit him.

"So do we have a plan for seeing this kid? Even in the best of cases, they won't usually just waltz anyone up to the room, moreso if it's a minor, and even more if there's shady business going on behind the scenes."

Turing turned to the still-masked Jack. "I guess you could look up some info on his family, and Tessen could be his cousin or something? Or hell, I guess I could try being a priest - I've got the suit, at any rate."

Anarion
2013-09-30, 02:26 AM
"So do we have a plan for seeing this kid? Even in the best of cases, they won't usually just waltz anyone up to the room, moreso if it's a minor, and even more if there's shady business going on behind the scenes."

Turing turned to the still-masked Jack. "I guess you could look up some info on his family, and Tessen could be his cousin or something? Or hell, I guess I could try being a priest - I've got the suit, at any rate."

"They won't just let us visit him if we know his name and say we're his friends that want to see him? Don't people who get injured get visits from their friends in the hospital all the time?"

Tessen is shocked. Shocked.

Thanqol
2013-09-30, 02:42 AM
Jack absently flicked through the kid's facebook. Far as he could see, there weren't many direct traces of Izumi here, references or pictures or conversations. It was hard to make anything much out of it.

Almost on a whim, Jack ran his home address through google to see what kind of place it looked like, family home, flat, halls of residence or otherwise.

Izumi pictures looked like they had been taken down recently. The kid's home was all right in absolute terms and very nice by Detroit standards, just a standard suburban home.

Deadly
2013-09-30, 06:16 PM

Amun glanced at the screen. "Got something in mind?"

Tiki Snakes
2013-09-30, 06:24 PM
"I figure we're due a field trip." He pulled up a street-view image of Andrew's home.

"Maybe we have a look around. Talk to his friends or family, whoever it is that's home this time of day. If no-ones home..." Jack shrugs, horse face impassive.

[Any idea if it is the family home, or if he's got his own place, or? Mentions of stuff on his Facebook page? Relatives visible in the Streetview picture?]

Thanqol
2013-09-30, 08:32 PM
"I figure we're due a field trip." He pulled up a street-view image of Andrew's home.

"Maybe we have a look around. Talk to his friends or family, whoever it is that's home this time of day. If no-ones home..." Jack shrugs, horse face impassive.

[Any idea if it is the family home, or if he's got his own place, or? Mentions of stuff on his Facebook page? Relatives visible in the Streetview picture?]

[Family home, it seems like]

Deadly
2013-10-01, 05:27 PM

"Sounds like a plan," Amun said. "I guess the other two can handle the hospital on their own?"

[I have no idea if we're still together, all four of us at the hospital, or if Jack and Amun are still hanging around near the university]

Anarion
2013-10-01, 06:14 PM
"Sounds like a plan," Amun said. "I guess the other two can handle the hospital on their own?"

[I have no idea if we're still together, all four of us at the hospital, or if Jack and Amun are still hanging around near the university]

[I'm under the impression that Tessen and Turing are together at the hospital and Amun and Jack are in a separate location but are with each other. Also Tessen is waiting to either get through the line or have Turing tell her that she's being a naive fool.]

the_druid_droid
2013-10-01, 11:05 PM
"They won't just let us visit him if we know his name and say we're his friends that want to see him? Don't people who get injured get visits from their friends in the hospital all the time?"

Tessen is shocked. Shocked.

Turing fidgeted a little, not wanting to shatter Tessen's illusions too harshly. "Well, sort of. Generally the visitors need some credentials though, and if they're really strict they may have a list of pre-approved relatives and friends too. If you aren't on that list, the patient is officially a cipher as far as the hospital is concerned."

"I think it's meant to protect privacy, and keep out the weirdos. Unfortunately, we weirdos sometimes need to get inside. So, do you have any ideas, Tess?"

[Sorry for the delay. Yesterday was rough.]

Anarion
2013-10-02, 12:23 AM
So, do you have any ideas, Tess?"

"Oh, um, hmm. Is there an intercom in here? I could page us to go upstairs and then we would be in and could look around for him.

Thanqol
2013-10-02, 12:30 AM
"Oh, um, hmm. Is there an intercom in here? I could page us to go upstairs and then we would be in and could look around for him.

There absolutely was an intercom in here, that was a good idea.

Anarion
2013-10-02, 12:35 AM
There absolutely was an intercom in here, that was a good idea.

"Real names or fake names?" she asks Turing. "Real is better if they ask for IDs or anything, but we can probably get in with fake names if I do a good impression of the nurse's voice."

the_druid_droid
2013-10-02, 01:01 AM
"Real names or fake names?" she asks Turing. "Real is better if they ask for IDs or anything, but we can probably get in with fake names if I do a good impression of the nurse's voice."

"I'd rather we try fakes. We already had a run-in with that before, and considering what Jack told us about what happened to the boy, I could stand to keep my information as quiet as possible." Turing had lowered his voice, and started checking to see who was by the intercom.

Anarion
2013-10-02, 01:20 AM
"Okay we'll do father and daughter then, I think people will be less likely to ask questions." Tessen waits for the nurse to call out some of the patient names, then does her best to mimic the voice over the intercom. "Paging Mr. and Ms. Williamson, please come in through the door on the left."

Thanqol
2013-10-02, 02:13 AM
"Okay we'll do father and daughter then, I think people will be less likely to ask questions." Tessen waits for the nurse to call out some of the patient names, then does her best to mimic the voice over the intercom. "Paging Mr. and Ms. Williamson, please come in through the door on the left."

Impersonating a mumbling voice over the intercom was relatively easy. However there was still a guard standing right by that door.

Standing up and brazenly walking right by the guy without flinching or looking suspicious wasn't automatic, although the sequence was a lot easier than it'd otherwise be.

[Presence or Composure + Something, +1]

Anarion
2013-10-02, 03:23 AM
[Presence or Composure + Something, +1]

[composure+expression okay for carrying on the act? Would the imitation specialty apply? Also going to spend a mana on perfect timing to make sure Tessen carries herself just right.]

Thanqol
2013-10-02, 03:25 AM
[composure+expression okay for carrying on the act? Would the imitation specialty apply? Also going to spend a mana on perfect timing to make sure Tessen carries herself just right.]

[Normally I'd call bullsh*t on using Expression for this rather than subterfuge or something, but the Imitation specialty wins me over. Go ahead.]

Anarion
2013-10-02, 03:32 AM
[Normally I'd call bullsh*t on using Expression for this rather than subterfuge or something, but the Imitation specialty wins me over. Go ahead.]

[Perfect Timing
[roll0]
Main roll
[roll1]
extra dice (for perfect timing and/or 10 again)
[roll2]

3 total successes.

Thanqol
2013-10-02, 03:40 AM
Tessen stood up at exactly the right moment for the guard to mentally associate her with 'Mrs Williamson', and didn't blink when she walked right on by.

Andy's room was on the second floor. The door was locked when they got there, and he was watching the television with both legs in casts.

Deadly
2013-10-02, 06:31 PM
Amun headed for the family home, assuming Jack was right behind. He wasn't sure what their plan was, but Amun had never let that stop him before.

Anarion
2013-10-02, 07:36 PM
Tessen stood up at exactly the right moment for the guard to mentally associate her with 'Mrs Williamson', and didn't blink when she walked right on by.

Andy's room was on the second floor. The door was locked when they got there, and he was watching the television with both legs in casts.

[Turing is here too, right? If not, drop out the part where Tessen introduces him.]

"Um, hello" Tessen says, knocking lightly on the door as well before stepping into the room. "My name is Tessen and this is Turing. We uh, came by to visit you. I'm a reporter and I, uh, did an interview with Izumi [insert last name I forgot] today. And, um, I'm wondering if you'd be willing to speak with us, either on or off the record."

Thanqol
2013-10-02, 07:39 PM
[Turing is here too, right? If not, drop out the part where Tessen introduces him.]

"Um, hello" Tessen says, knocking lightly on the door as well before stepping into the room. "My name is Tessen and this is Turing. We uh, came by to visit you. I'm a reporter and I, uh, did an interview with Izumi [insert last name I forgot] today. And, um, I'm wondering if you'd be willing to speak with us, either on or off the record."

The door was locked, and when Tessen knocked on it he gave a panicked look at the door and pressed the 'call nurse' button. She could see the signal going out.

Thanqol
2013-10-02, 07:40 PM
Amun headed for the family home, assuming Jack was right behind. He wasn't sure what their plan was, but Amun had never let that stop him before.

White picket fence in suburban Detroit. Absolutely nothing special going on here. Seemed like no one was home either.

Tiki Snakes
2013-10-02, 07:41 PM
Jack was in fact with Amun. He walked in a haze, idly scouring the internet for further useful leads.

Perhaps, he mused, it would be worthwhile to pull up some more information on Izumi's family? Dirty social-media rumour-mongering ones or positively slanted articles perhaps?

Perhaps if he gave the time-stream a nudge in the right direction he could pull up a version of Andrew's Timeline with the pictures still in place. [Postcognition on the website? It's in perception range, after all! Alternatively, Way-Back-Machine and a bit of luck, perhaps?]

"I can't believe all this time, no-one thought to ask me why the long face." He mumbled.

Anarion
2013-10-02, 09:59 PM
The door was locked, and when Tessen knocked on it he gave a panicked look at the door and pressed the 'call nurse' button. She could see the signal going out.

Tessen prevented the signal from going anywhere and continued by the door. "Please don't be nervous, Andy. Um, is it okay if I call you Andy? I just want to talk for a few minutes. If it okay if Turing and I come in?"

Thanqol
2013-10-02, 10:09 PM
Tessen prevented the signal from going anywhere and continued by the door. "Please don't be nervous, Andy. Um, is it okay if I call you Andy? I just want to talk for a few minutes. If it okay if Turing and I come in?"

[Roll Manipulation+Empathy at -5]

the_druid_droid
2013-10-02, 10:43 PM

Turing sighed to himself. "Look, kid, I know that with what you've been through we probably don't look like your best friends right now, but swear to God, no one is going to hurt you. We're not working for that girl or her family, if that's what you're worried about."

[Assuming Turing made it too. I can roll, if necessary.]

Anarion
2013-10-03, 12:27 AM
Chance die [roll0]

Thanqol
2013-10-03, 12:39 AM
The kid started hammering on the button harder. "Nurse? NURSE!?" he started shouting.

Anarion
2013-10-03, 01:11 AM
Tessen sighs and also redirects sound so it doesn't leave the immediate area. "Why don't we just go in, Turing. You can matter magic the lock, right?"

Deadly
2013-10-03, 06:24 PM
Jack was in fact with Amun. He walked in a haze, idly scouring the internet for further useful leads.

Perhaps, he mused, it would be worthwhile to pull up some more information on Izumi's family? Dirty social-media rumour-mongering ones or positively slanted articles perhaps?

Perhaps if he gave the time-stream a nudge in the right direction he could pull up a version of Andrew's Timeline with the pictures still in place. [Postcognition on the website? It's in perception range, after all! Alternatively, Way-Back-Machine and a bit of luck, perhaps?]

"I can't believe all this time, no-one thought to ask me why the long face." He mumbled.

Amun glanced at Jack. "So that's what you were fishing for," he said idly before returning his attention to the house. "Looks like no one's home. What's your plan, Jack? Wait for someone to show up, or shall we go through their garbage? It's amazing what people throw out, let me tell you."

the_druid_droid
2013-10-03, 08:14 PM
Tessen sighs and also redirects sound so it doesn't leave the immediate area. "Why don't we just go in, Turing. You can matter magic the lock, right?"

"Something like that. Got any ideas what to do about the kid screaming, though? Something to keep the room quiet wouldn't hurt."

Wish I could be a little more subtle here...

[Realized I don't have the covert Alter Integrity, so I'll use Death which is Vulgar here. Any modifiers?]

Tiki Snakes
2013-10-03, 08:49 PM
Amun glanced at Jack. "So that's what you were fishing for," he said idly before returning his attention to the house. "Looks like no one's home. What's your plan, Jack? Wait for someone to show up, or shall we go through their garbage? It's amazing what people throw out, let me tell you."

"Garbage diving sounds like a good place to start." Jack shrugged. "There's no plan. Maybe when you're done with the bins we see if we can get inside, take a look around?" He suggested.

Anarion
2013-10-03, 08:52 PM
"Something like that. Got any ideas what to do about the kid screaming, though? Something to keep the room quiet wouldn't hurt."

Wish I could be a little more subtle here...

[Realized I don't have the covert Alter Integrity, so I'll use Death which is Vulgar here. Any modifiers?]

[you don't have the matter dots to improvise that? It seems like something any matter Mage of sufficient talent could do.]

Lix Lorn
2013-10-04, 06:54 PM
"That it is." pipes up an irritated voice. "And, hey, speaking of homes... why is there some guy field-stripping an assault rifle in mine?"

The life mage is leaning casually against a wall, looking rather tanned, and wondering exactly how much she managed to miss while she was away.

Deadly
2013-10-04, 07:18 PM
"Garbage diving sounds like a good place to start." Jack shrugged. "There's no plan. Maybe when you're done with the bins we see if we can get inside, take a look around?" He suggested.

"Right then," Amun said with a nod and righted himself. "Never fancied myself a burglar, though."

"That it is." pipes up an irritated voice. "And, hey, speaking of homes... why is there some guy field-stripping an assault rifle in mine?"

The life mage is leaning casually against a wall, looking rather tanned, and wondering exactly how much she managed to miss while she was away.

"Oh hey, look what the cat dragged in," he grinned when the new voice interrupted. "There's been some change in Detroit, don't you know. Errant's officially in charge, and she decided our tower was a great place to park her army. Don't you know possessions are fleeting anyway? When you have no home you never have to worry about someone raiding it while you're away."

Lix Lorn
2013-10-04, 07:42 PM
"Errant's... wow. Everything has gone to hell while I was away." she says, pushing off from the wall and walking closer. "I guess there are worse choices for magical god-princess. So... what kind of insane goose chase are we on right now?"

Deadly
2013-10-04, 07:59 PM
"Errant's... wow. Everything has gone to hell while I was away." she says, pushing off from the wall and walking closer. "I guess there are worse choices for magical god-princess. So... what kind of insane goose chase are we on right now?"

"Awakening Councilors," Amun said with a flourish of of a non-existent hat and a bow. "This girl, Izumi, is bleeding Mana all over campus after she broke up with her boyfriend or something. He may have been involved in a ... 'boaking accident' with her mobster family, and they're none to happy about the attention ... or us." Amun shrugged and looked to see if Jack had anything to add or clarify.

Lix Lorn
2013-10-04, 09:20 PM
"Sounds juicy." she nods, following his gaze to Jack.
"...is... is it even worth asking?"

the_druid_droid
2013-10-04, 11:57 PM
[you don't have the matter dots to improvise that? It seems like something any matter Mage of sufficient talent could do.]

OOC
Alter Integrity seems the most direct and it's a 3-dot spell. I might be able to find a loophole, but I also have Decay as a rote, so good dice and a decreased Paradox pool

Speaking of, I rolled:

9 - 1 - 5 - 3 - 8 - 6 - 10 - 8
10 again: 1

Four successes, also using a magical tool for extra -1 Paradox on top of the rote status.

Turing fished out a little laminated plastic card from his jacket and scanned over it. There, just past the middle of the table, he found what he was looking for.

Iron: atomic symbol Fe, atomic mass 55.845. Born in the final nuclear gasp of a forgotten supernova, later forged by humans into all manner of useful items, and ultimately destined for a slow oxidative dotage. It didn't really seem like a fair end for something born with such flair, but right now it was their key to getting into the room.

The Moros felt the lock wither under his touch, ready to shatter under a forceful tug. "Tessen, when I open this door, I need you to throw up a Forces effect to keep him quiet - we don't want sound leaving this room."

Anarion
2013-10-05, 12:38 AM
OOC
Alter Integrity seems the most direct and it's a 3-dot spell. I might be able to find a loophole, but I also have Decay as a rote, so good dice and a decreased Paradox pool

Speaking of, I rolled:

9 - 1 - 5 - 3 - 8 - 6 - 10 - 8
10 again: 1

Four successes, also using a magical tool for extra -1 Paradox on top of the rote status.
The Moros felt the lock wither under his touch, ready to shatter under a forceful tug. "Tessen, when I open this door, I need you to throw up a Forces effect to keep him quiet - we don't want sound leaving this room."

"I did that already." Tessen beams.

Tiki Snakes
2013-10-05, 07:45 PM
"Sounds juicy." she nods, following his gaze to Jack.
"...is... is it even worth asking?"

"Nay lass" Jack's voice was flat, not quite so friendly as it might have been in the middle of a horse-pun. "It's probably not."

He stuck his hands loosely in his pockets.

"Amun here hasn't told you the half of it. Errant split the Consilium, she didn't take it over. So we might be on the verge of a magical war with our former brothers in arms."

"But then, we've also almost certainly provoked the Scelesti enough that we're on the verge of a magical war with them, too." He was matter of fact about it, blunt even. "And there's a good chance the Seers are either playing us or angry at us for showing them up, amongst other things. If we're lucky then that's maybe not enough to trigger a magical war with them, but our new allies are making requests already that will probably change that."

He paused for a moment, retrieving a pair of latex gloves from his pockets.

"And Amun here killed a man."

He snapped them on with practised efficiency.
"Enjoy your holiday?"

Lix Lorn
2013-10-05, 08:23 PM
"I didn't think it was..." she begins to snark, idly wondering exactly how crazy he has to act before she can justify looking inside his head, before being overwhelmed with a sharp, painful dose of reality.

"...well." she breathes. She tries to say something, fails, and starts again.
"...well... ****."

the_druid_droid
2013-10-05, 11:13 PM
"I did that already." Tessen beams.

Turing grinned, and resisted the urge to pat Tessen on the head. "Good job. Now let's go wish him a speedy recovery."

With a swift motion, Turing forced the weakened lock and headed inside.

[Assuming no complications or Paradox unless Thanqol says anything. I can retcon if necessary]

Thanqol
2013-10-06, 12:05 AM
New Thread! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16163800#post16163800)