PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder - Advice for Dex-based Eldritch Knight Using Mythic Rules

Kadar
2012-12-28, 11:13 PM
Hey guys, just looking for some feedback on whether to continue with my idea for a dexterity based EK or switch to a strength based one. I MAY end up as the main or secondary frontline fighter in this campaign, as the other is a Strength based wildshaping druid. All content from the core 5 pathfinder books, along with ultimate equipment and alternate racial heritages is allowed.

The campaign is 20 point buy, begins at level one, and each character gets 2 +2 items. +1 Mithral Full Plate and a +2 Rapier for me.

I'm playing as a tiefling with the following stats.
Str - 10
Dex - 17
Con - 14
Int - 18
Wis - 10
Cha - 6

Level Progression with feats will look like this to 9th.
1 Fighter - Weapon Focus(Rapier), Weapon Finesse
2 Wizard(trans)
3 Wizard - Tiefling Racial Natural Armor Feat
4 Wizard
5 Wizard - Toughness
6 Wizard - Empower Spell
7 EK - Spell Focus(Illusion), Arcane Strike
8 EK
9 EK - Weapon Specialization

Mythic Progression(we get the first at level 2)
1 - Dual Path & Armor Master I
2 - Armor Master II
3 - Weapon Finesse(M) & Component Power
4 - Metamastery?
5 - Arcane Strike(M) & Metamastery?

This is about as far as I have gotten with my planning, but so far this build seems to hit its stride around 6th level/whenever it gets 3rd mythic tier. The main drawback with doing the strength build is that it has lower AC and there is no race with a +2 str +2 int.

With the current stats and feats I seem to be within a point or two on attack rolls of a pure fighter, which is good for a gish and can be helped with buffs.

AttilaTheGeek
2012-12-29, 01:00 AM
If you have a bunch of Dex, I'd suggest going for a Magus build focusing on the Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/pel-s-lab/dervish-dance) feat. It synergizes better with your stats.

jmelesky
2012-12-29, 01:13 PM
If you have a bunch of Dex, I'd suggest going for a Magus build focusing on the Dervish Dance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/pel-s-lab/dervish-dance) feat. It synergizes better with your stats.

No need for that if OP is getting Mythic Weapon Finesse, which gives dex-to-damage for all weapons (at least in the playtest version).

gartius
2012-12-29, 04:15 PM
at the same point it'll free up the mythic feat for something else

AttilaTheGeek
2012-12-29, 09:36 PM
No need for that if OP is getting Mythic Weapon Finesse, which gives dex-to-damage for all weapons (at least in the playtest version).

Ooh, handy. Shows what I get for not knowing the Mythic rules.

I would recommend at least looking at a Magus because it's an easier gish that you can play from level 1. The difference between a Magus and an Eldritch Knight is that the EK is better in an antimagic field, and the EK can cast 9th level spells, but the Magus can attack and cast spells at the same time.

Kadar
2012-12-29, 09:37 PM
I was considering a dervish dance build, but I still have to run it by my GM, and I won't be able to use a light shield, which I will be able to with the Mythic Weapon Finesse build.

Honestly, I don't see many other mythic feats that are OMG good, it would just allow me to get Mythic Arcane Strike earlier and allow me to take Dual Path, which can both wait if necessary.

Since I plan on being in a primary or secondary tanking role, I think the shield may be more important than that mythic feat as far as survivability goes.

Any particular buff suggestions to help with the build shortcomings?

Kadar
2012-12-29, 09:39 PM
Ooh, handy. Shows what I get for not knowing the Mythic rules.

I would recommend at least looking at a Magus because it's an easier gish that you can play from level 1. The difference between a Magus and an Eldritch Knight is that the EK is better in an antimagic field, and the EK can cast 9th level spells, but the Magus can attack and cast spells at the same time.

I agree with you that the Magus would be an easier 1-20 character, but I'm mainly doing this as an experiment to see how the mythic rules affect the viability of an EK. We also do not have another full arcane caster, so I feel that I need to fill the utility role for the party.

As it stands, we have a wildshaping druid, gun archetype paladin, rogue, and myself. Plus one possible unknown character.

AttilaTheGeek
2012-12-30, 12:28 AM
I agree with you that the Magus would be an easier 1-20 character, but I'm mainly doing this as an experiment to see how the mythic rules affect the viability of an EK.

Ooh, interesting. You should post updates about how you're doing. I'm very fond of the Eldritch Knight, and I may or may not attempt to convince my next campaign to adopt mythic rules.