PDA

View Full Version : Preventing the creation of spawn [3.5]

Yajirobe
2012-12-29, 09:36 AM
I know, the best way to avoid getting a spawn created is not getting killed by spawn-creating methods.

Failing that, I ask: How to prevent a body from returning as a bodak/vampire/wight/favorite-spawn-thing-here?

I know that spawn screen spell can solve that, but will it work if cast on an already deceased body (ie. a Vampire-Energy-Drained corpse BEFORE it raises as a Vampire for the first time)?

Failing that, is there any other way? Is damaging the body in a way that would make that spawn (un)life troublesome (Smash the head!) a valid method?

Flickerdart
2012-12-29, 10:04 AM
In all cases, the body is required to come back, so simply burning it ought to do the trick.

Yora
2012-12-29, 10:47 AM
Burning should work for almost anything. After that the body could only be turned into a skeleton at the most.
Except for zombies and skeletons, I would say that most undead with a body would have to have a head since they can think and talk.
For vampires and vampire spawn, a stake through the heart would be sufficient.

However, with incorporeal undead like shadows and wraiths, I don't think there is really anything that can be done without magic.

Flickerdart
2012-12-29, 11:56 AM
There's actually a magic item specifically for destroying a corpse - Shrouds of Disintegration - but at 6600gp it might be easier to just hire a caster to cast disintegrate for 660gp.

Slipperychicken
2012-12-29, 03:41 PM
As for the bones, you could probably grind them into powder, and dump it into a lake or something. Good luck making a skeleton out of that.

NamelessNPC
2012-12-29, 05:00 PM
Eat the bodies

TuggyNE
2012-12-29, 09:21 PM
Eat the bodies

"Did I say a 'long' story? I meant 'disturbing'." (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2001-11-04)

Wookie-ranger
2012-12-30, 09:56 AM
I like the idea of burning the body. It is simply and efficient.

I am not sure if that will work for Shadows and other incorporeal undead. With a little nostalgia I am remembering NWN2.

If i remember correctly there is a magic item somewhere that prevents one corpse from being brought back as a undead.
It is pair of coins that are placed over the dead body's eye. As long as they are there, the corpse will not rise; but the protection lasts only until they are removed.
No clue where that is from, or if it was a home-brew though.

genericwit
2012-12-30, 02:55 PM
Could a spawn raise in an area that had been sanctified?

Flickerdart
2012-12-30, 03:24 PM
Could a spawn raise in an area that had been sanctified?
Undead can't be created within a consecrated area, so it makes sense that corpses would not rise as undead. However, the spell only lasts two hours per level, so some way to get it permanent would be required.

rweird
2012-12-30, 03:47 PM
The spell Hallow prevents undead from rising in the area, it is instantaneous, so it should work, still, unless you can ignore the material component, you'll have to pay a lot to use, and it has a 24 hour casting time, so finding a way to reduce that would be good too.

Slipperychicken
2012-12-30, 08:51 PM
You can also bury them. I hear it's pretty hard to dig your way through 6ft of dirt while you're engulfed in it (can't move your limbs) without a shovel.

For when it does get out (since that's a trope and all), then you just station someone next to the grave, and have him kill the spawn as it tries to dig out of the ground. Preferably with a reach weapon so it can't retaliate.

Talionis
2012-12-30, 09:40 PM
Bring it back as an Incarnum Zombie then dismiss it.