PDA

View Full Version : Ozfer plays Dungeons of Dredmor for the first time!

Ozfer
2012-12-29, 11:53 AM
Hi everyone,

I just purchased dungeons of dredmor complete package on steam, and before I started playing I realized I should document this not-so-historic event.

I have *never* played this game before, so it should be interesting for those of you who like to laugh at other's pathetic failures. I'll update in a little bit.

Cogwheel
2012-12-29, 12:00 PM
Good choice! It's an excellent game. Best of luck with your attempts.

Here's a tip to get you started: Necronomics and Vampirism will be incredibly helpful throughout the game, especially early on, and have a place in basically every build under the sun.

Science Officer
2012-12-29, 12:02 PM
There's a pretty neat exploit that can let a new player quickly rise to the top:
try putting a lutefisk cube inside of another lutefisk cube (or even better, inside of itself) it will give you ludicrous lutefisk that you can tithe for high-level artifact weapons
use it wisely

tyckspoon
2012-12-29, 12:46 PM
Psionics is worthless. Just completely nerfed into the ground. Avoid it until you know what you're doing.

Flickerdart
2012-12-29, 12:47 PM
Since you have the wizardlands expansion, here's a tip:
At the secret dimension portal, enter RUBYLAND, you'll know it worked when the portal turns red. Go inside for tons of free rubies that you can then sell or use for crafting.

tyckspoon
2012-12-29, 12:52 PM
This reminds me I need to go post another entry to the Vs. Play, now that Retail Insanity Season is done and I have some free time again.. (If I'm the only one still posting, does that make me winner by default?)

Ozfer
2012-12-29, 06:28 PM
So, I played on going rogue a couple times, and died on the fourth room each try. Finally, I decided to go with Dwarvish Moderation, and it went great. My skills are, Psionics, Swords, Assassination, Promethean magic, Alchemy, Artful Dodger and Burglary.

I found out early on that I could steal from vending machines, so that was a big plus. I basically kept spamming my sleep spell on anything I couldn't melee. I found a statue of Dredmor, and vandalized it, leveling up. Now keep in mind I hadn't read your posts yet, and I leveled up psionics.

I leveled two other times from less eventful things, and upgraded my dodge twice, as knightly leap seemed handy. Akido for adventurers seemed cool, so I took it, and knightly leap seemed great for getting an artifact surrounded by water (It wasn't that great an artifact, but I didn't really know :P).

I found a little black book with necromantic damage, so that was cool.

Along the way, I completed three quests for Inconsequentia, which was nice. Each time she gave me some rings that add to my damage

Last but not least, I discovered that crossbows seem almost overpowered. Is this true? I was using a basic wooden one, and it kicked butt, and then I bought an awesome double string wind up which was even better.

Basically my strategy was psionic push anything that got close, then dragon belch, rinse, repeat. Anything that resisted that stuff (Like a crab-knight) got sleep-spelled to death. I don't know if I'm just getting lucky, but it seems like psionic is my most useful skill!

Oh and after 40 minutes of playing, I'm still on level 1. I'm a completionist:P.

Tell me what you think, with minimal spoilers please :).

[Side note: Really loving the game. The descriptions of objects are very clever, and I'm enjoying the process of leveling up my character.]

Flickerdart
2012-12-29, 06:36 PM
Dragon's Breath drops off in effectiveness very, very quickly, and the next Promethean spells that also does straight up damage (Obvious Fireball) comes in pretty late and is very expensive. Generally you want to combine spellcasting trees with Magical Training, Leylines, Blood Magic, or all of the above. Always keep an eye on your MP, and have plenty of booze with you.

Crossbows can be very powerful, especially with the higher level bolts, but be very careful - some of them have a massive area of effect.

Ozfer
2012-12-29, 07:20 PM
Yea, I discovered that with a bolt of mass destruction -.-. Shortly after posting, three interesting things happened:

-Two magical passwords (Please don't tell me what they are for).
-Dimensional keys for my own pocket dimension. Haven't gone in yet.
-I misclicked with psionic shove, and moved a piece of the wall, uncovering a narwand. I tryed the same things at similar areas, and ended up finding alot of secret loot.

I am now moving on to level 2.

EDIT- A few minutes later, killed by a zombie labeled, "The Baron" :(. Oh well. Thanks for reading :).

tyckspoon
2012-12-29, 08:00 PM
I found out early on that I could steal from vending machines, so that was a big plus. I basically kept spamming my sleep spell on anything I couldn't melee. I found a statue of Dredmor, and vandalized it, leveling up. Now keep in mind I hadn't read your posts yet, and I leveled up psionics.

Heh. If you haven't guessed by now, the first four responses in this thread were not entirely serious. Psionics is a *great* skill. It's my personal pick for Most Essential/Most Overpowered; everything up to and including Pyrokinesis is powerful, useful, and quite cheap to cast for what it does.

Last but not least, I discovered that crossbows seem almost overpowered. Is this true? I was using a basic wooden one, and it kicked butt, and then I bought an awesome double string wind up which was even better]

Crossbows are really powerful early game, especially because some nice ones tend to spawn relatively often in the early dungeon. They don't scale too well into the later game, in my experience.

Geno9999
2012-12-29, 08:26 PM
Heh. If you haven't guessed by now, the first four responses in this thread were not entirely serious.

In case if you were wondering what would actually happen if you put a Lutefisk Cube in a Lutefisk Cube...
It causes an explosion that is likely to kill you. Bolt of Mass Destruction sized explosion I think.
You also get an achievement out of it.:smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2012-12-29, 11:18 PM
-Two magical passwords (Please don't tell me what they are for).
You wrote them down, right? You may have died, but you can still use the codes at the place where you use codes. I usually snap photos of them with my phone camera, it's rather more convenient than writing them out.

Cieyrin
2012-12-30, 01:02 PM
You wrote them down, right? You may have died, but you can still use the codes at the place where you use codes. I usually snap photos of them with my phone camera, it's rather more convenient than writing them out.

Steam, assuming you're using it, has a built-in screen shot command (F12), though I have mixed results with the Overlay working with Dungeons correctly. You can also use your Print Screen utility of choice, as that seems less gratuitous than a grainy camera phone picture. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2012-12-30, 04:34 PM
My Dredmor doesn't have a Steam overlay for some reason, and retrieving pictures from a print-screen tool requires alt-tabbing. With my phone, I just have to pull it out - and the quality on phone cameras has moved far beyond the 0.3MP you'd see on ancient clamshells. :P