PDA

View Full Version : Rifts: Swordsmen

Beelzebub1111
2012-12-29, 06:12 PM
So I was looking through Rifts books (I know, it's slowly transitioning from hobby to fetish for me) and I was thinking about the best skills and OCC and/or DB to take to make a master sword wielder. My best bet seems to be Combat Borg with all points into P.P. and the Fencing Skill being a must. Along with any other physical skills that give me more melee actions. Extra Arms also needed. Amplified hearing also a must. Any other bionic systems recommended? H2H combat expert seems good enough, or is it worth the Related skill to put it into Martial Arts? What are my weapon options once the Vibrosword wears its welcome? Are there any restrictions on cyborgs using magic weapons?

On a semi-related note, to Raise P.P. do I need to spend it on arms AND legs for 4,000 per point total? or is that a combined thing with 2,000 per point. is it possible for the legs and arms to be different?

LibraryOgre
2012-12-29, 11:55 PM
This question is more or less unanswerable, because of its breadth, and the number of sources possible.

For example, you might consider some of the samurai classes out of Rifts: Japan, which have automatic rune weapons, in addition to partial bionic reconstruction and special martial arts. You could go with a Juicer, who'd be comparable to a borg in hand to hand combat. We had an Undead Hunter (True Atlantean Tattooed Man) who was frightening, especially since he could create his magical weapons out of nothing. Or maybe a martial artist from Ninjas and Superspies, using a naturally MDC race with bio-regeneration. Or a mutant cheetah from Lone Star who has the Bladweilder class from Nightbane.

Generally speaking, however, the big thing for pretty much any Rifts class is attacks per melee and damage. In general, a bonus to damage is easier to get and worth a bit more than a bonus to hit.

Main book? If you're talking the old-style main book, look into a Juicer, and give him a vibro-blade. If you're talking new-style main book, go with a Cyber-knight. Beyond that, it gets complicated.

Beelzebub1111
2012-12-30, 05:00 AM
I'm looking at a North American human. My range of books, basically covers that area, plus conceivable imports from Germany, Canada, Quebec, and South America.

Is there any type of Juicer you'd recommend? Also, I want to avoid using the Cyber Knight. The Goody Two-Shoes wouldn't work for what I'd like.

LibraryOgre
2012-12-30, 01:18 PM
Truthfully, the Standard Juicer is pretty phenomenal for stuff like this. The Titan Juicer is a good option, as you'll have Supernatural Strength (and thus do a lot of damage), but has a lot less armor options. There's also a number of D-Bees to consider, if you've got D-Bees of North America.

The problem with 'Borg or 'Bot characters is always going to be repairs. Since you don't heal, repairs are difficult and expensive.

Given a choice, I would probably look at a Tattooed Man from Atlantis... give him pretty much any background you like, though an escaped slave is always a good one. You'll have a good array of powers, be able to summon different kinds of swords cheaply, and while you might have to "power up" a bit (i.e. spend a couple actions using tattoos), you'll be naturally MDC and have a reason for weird features (like various symbiotes)

Beelzebub1111
2012-12-30, 03:40 PM
Truthfully, the Standard Juicer is pretty phenomenal for stuff like this. The Titan Juicer is a good option, as you'll have Supernatural Strength (and thus do a lot of damage), but has a lot less armor options. There's also a number of D-Bees to consider, if you've got D-Bees of North America

Does high strength count for weapons? The rules are kind of unclear.

LibraryOgre
2012-12-30, 08:12 PM
Does high strength count for weapons? The rules are kind of unclear.

Yes and no.

Let's say you have a Regular or Exceptional PS of 30 (not unreasonable as a standard Juicer). You will have +15 to damage, but that's SDC damage. With a big vibro-blade, you'll do 2d6 MD + 15 SDC damage... that bonus SDC damage is pretty much ignored. If you have reason to do SDC damage, however (say, using an unpowered vibro-knife), you'd count that... so with a regular knife, you do 1d6+15 damage. Significant.

Now, Robot and Supernatural PS, it gets a bit odd, and somewhat depends on your DM's ruling. The way I have always seen it played is that your Punch Damage from PS is added to weapon damage... so if your Supernatural PS does 2d6 MD, and your Sword does 2d6 MD, you do 4d6 MD with that sword. Some play it you do your punch or your sword damage, but get to use the sword's special abilities and any WP Sword bonuses.

Short version? Ask your GM.

Beelzebub1111
2012-12-31, 07:55 PM
Asked, he said the mega damage from strength wouldn't stack with weapons except with specific situations like MD spikes and clawed fingertips (citing the Golden Eagle Flying Power Armor as reference)

LibraryOgre
2013-01-01, 08:02 PM
FWIW, I think a FAR easier solution is to just say "With Robot or Supernatural PS, you get a bonus to MD equal to the usual bonus for such strength". So a 15 SN PS will do 1d4 MD, and a 30 will do 1d4+15. Simple, fast, and against everything Palladium stands for.