PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Heirophant as a Ranger?

barna10
2012-12-29, 07:17 PM
The Arcane Heirophant mentions entering the class as a Ranger, but without Rangers getting Trackless Step, this seems silly. Is there something I'm missing? Is there some ACF somewhere that gives rangers Trackless Step?

Darrin
2012-12-29, 08:11 PM
The Arcane Heirophant mentions entering the class as a Ranger, but without Rangers getting Trackless Step, this seems silly. Is there something I'm missing? Is there some ACF somewhere that gives rangers Trackless Step?

Wildrunner (same book as Arcane Hierophant) is extremely Ranger-friendly and grants Trackless Step on the first level.

barna10
2012-12-29, 08:19 PM
Wildrunner (same book as Arcane Hierophant) is extremely Ranger-friendly and grants Trackless Step on the first level.

Yes, but you have to be an elf.

Piggy Knowles
2012-12-29, 09:12 PM
I'm away from my books now, but doesn't one of the Spirit Folk (Bamboo?) grant Trackless Step as a racial ability? Or is that Woodland Stride?

IdleMuse
2012-12-29, 09:24 PM
I'm away from my books now, but doesn't one of the Spirit Folk (Bamboo?) grant Trackless Step as a racial ability? Or is that Woodland Stride?

This is correct. It's in Oriental Adventures.

barna10
2012-12-29, 09:37 PM
Correct, but I don't want to play an odd race. Also, the Prestige class specifically mentions "Trackless Step class ability". Getting it from a race may be problematic.

TopCheese
2012-12-29, 11:37 PM
Correct, but I don't want to play an odd race. Also, the Prestige class specifically mentions "Trackless Step class ability". Getting it from a race may be problematic.

Which really brings the question to mind...

Why doesn't the ranger gain trackless step?

toapat
2012-12-30, 12:59 AM
the other question this brings to mind, why a ranger? the PrC is Mystic Theurge for Druid/Wizard.

barna10
2012-12-30, 01:22 AM
the other question this brings to mind, why a ranger? the PrC is Mystic Theurge for Druid/Wizard.

Because the class specifically mentions, twice that I know of, about entering it as a Ranger/Wizard.

Also, I'm thinking of a Mystic Ranger/Wizard combo. Not optimal, but I'm not really worried about that. The guy is an NPC and really shouldn't be stealing the spotlight anyway.

toapat
2012-12-30, 01:33 AM
Because the class specifically mentions, twice that I know of, about entering it as a Ranger/Wizard.

Also, I'm thinking of a Mystic Ranger/Wizard combo. Not optimal, but I'm not really worried about that. The guy is an NPC and really shouldn't be stealing the spotlight anyway.

well, you technically dont even need /Wizard with Ranger. SotAO as worded casts Thurgic Spells (Arcane/Divine), you just need trackless step.

so you get all of the benefits, with only needing 16 Int.

As far as Race, you want the Wisdom Casting Illuminan i think. i forget how their phrase works

Venusaur
2012-12-30, 01:39 AM

Wizards is pretty bad about doing that. Fiend-Blooded is said to be a good PrC for sorcerers, and the example NPC is a sorcerer. However, the sorcerer does not have Know: Planes ( a requirement) on his skill list, and the NPC does not qualify for the class.

barna10
2012-12-30, 02:29 AM
Well, I seem to have found a fix. According to a source, Skip Williams was asked about this. His response was that it was supposed to be Woodland Stride which makes a ton more sense. I'm going with that as the closest thing to official errata we'll ever get.

Palanan
2012-12-30, 09:02 AM
Could you post a link to that source? That would be a handy note to reference.

barna10
2012-12-30, 09:24 AM
I found two or three forum posts that referred to conversations about it. Hardly official, but they are out there.

toapat
2012-12-30, 12:21 PM
Wizards is pretty bad about doing that. Fiend-Blooded is said to be a good PrC for sorcerers, and the example NPC is a sorcerer. However, the sorcerer does not have Know: Planes ( a requirement) on his skill list, and the NPC does not qualify for the class.

Sorcerer has their missing Knowledge Checks errata'd back in somewhere, so yes, actually Know: The Planes is a class skill for them.

barna10
2012-12-30, 12:58 PM
Sorcerer has their missing Knowledge Checks errata'd back in somewhere, so yes, actually Know: The Planes is a class skill for them.

I failed to find this. Do you have a reference?

toapat
2012-12-30, 01:06 PM
I failed to find this. Do you have a reference?

PHB1 3.5 Reprint would probably be the best source, but i dont have that and google isnt showing any bites

Piggy Knowles
2012-12-30, 01:10 PM
My PHB 3.5 reprint doesn't have knowledge (planes), unless you mean the NEW new ones. The SRD also doesn't have it, despite containing errata.

The Planar Handbook has a sorcerer ACF that adds it as a class skill for three levels, but that's about the closest I know.

But in any case, a single knowledge skill is usually pretty easy to pick up - Knowledge Devotion will add it as a permanent class skill.

barna10
2012-12-30, 01:17 PM
Not seeing it anywhere and really doubt the Planar Sorcerer ACF would include it if it were already a class skill.

toapat
2012-12-30, 01:20 PM
My PHB 3.5 reprint doesn't have knowledge (planes), unless you mean the NEW new ones. The SRD also doesn't have it, despite containing errata.

i mean the this year reprints, expecially because they added errata this year to the game

barna10
2012-12-30, 01:26 PM
i mean the this year reprints, expecially because they added errata this year to the game

But that errata was posted online as well and it's not in there.