LordofBones
2012-12-29, 10:47 PM
MAGE-FRIEND [SYNERGY]
Price: +4 bonus
Property: Weapon
Caster Level: 16th
Aura: Strong; (DC 22) universal
Activation: free action

The smooth, polished surface of this weapon is carved with runes representing the eight schools of magic. A faint royal purple glow emanates from each inscription.

Usually placed on an archmage’s favored staff, a mage-friend weapon functions as a skillful weapon. In addition, a mage-friend allows the wielder to transfer up to one-half of the weapon’s enhancement bonus to his caster level or the save DC of the spells he casts as a bonus that stacks with all others. As a free action, the wielder chooses how to allocate one-half the weapon’s enhancement bonus at the start of his turn before using the weapon, and the effect to caster level lasts until his next turn.

Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and Armor, spell enhancer.
Cost to create: Varies

TuggyNE
2012-12-29, 11:25 PM
Where does the [synergy] tag come in?

LordofBones
2012-12-30, 03:42 AM
I'm going off the precedent set in Magic Item Compendium. Since a mage-friend also functions as a skillful weapon, well...

LordErebus12
2012-12-30, 03:55 AM
I'm going off the precedent set in Magic Item Compendium. Since a mage-friend also functions as a skillful weapon, well...

add this row under activation:

Synergy: Skillful

just helps to have it there, too, in addition to the text.

PEACH
2012-12-30, 06:06 AM
Mages really don't need another way to boost their caster level or DCs. It may be an expensive way to do it, but it's still a huge bonus to classes that really don't need it.

Morph Bark
2012-12-30, 06:41 AM
I'd up it to +5. It would still be ridiculously cheap, but at least you can't create a weapon that gives a +1 bonus until caster level 21 (which can still easily be reached with other general boosters).

Heck, if you made it an expensive flat cost (+200,000 gp), it would still be very cheap as you could have a +4 skillful weapon with this that only costs 250,000 gp and can give a bonus of up to +2 to caster level.