PDA

View Full Version : How big a horse?

GnomeGninjas
2012-12-30, 04:08 PM
Could a medium character ride a gargantuan horse? I want RAW, don't tell me that it would be physically impossible for a medium character to fit onto a horse bigger than an elephant.

Morcleon
2012-12-30, 04:11 PM
Could a medium character ride a gargantuan horse? I want RAW, don't tell me that it would be physically impossible for a medium character to fit onto a horse bigger than an elephant.

People can ride elephants. (https://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS510US510&spell=1&q=elephant+riding&sa=X&ei=nq3gUOWyAsf1rAG_nYH4Dw&ved=0CDoQvwUoAA&biw=1048&bih=929) It would work with something larger too. You might take the -5 for riding something ill suited to be ridden, but it's not that bad.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-30, 06:01 PM
Wheather or not you could theoretically ride a garantuan horse, where would you find one? :smallconfused:

GnomeGninjas
2012-12-30, 06:07 PM
Wheather or not you could theoretically ride a gargantuan horse, where would you find one? :smallconfused:

I'm not sure where I'd find one. I had an idea about a guy riding a gargantuan horse and I wanted to know if it was possible in D&D.

_flint_
2012-12-30, 06:12 PM
I'm pretty sure you'd only need an exotic saddle and everything would be a-okay

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-30, 06:14 PM
Wheather or not you could theoretically ride a garantuan horse, where would you find one? :smallconfused:

I think an advanced dire horse might be huge. A regular horse under the effect of animal growth would also be huge. Share spells/powers could get a horse under the effects of enlarge person or expansion, the latter of which could get you a gargantuan horse.

Why did I think the OP was asking about a huge horse?

GnomeGninjas
2012-12-30, 06:14 PM
I'm pretty sure you'd only need an exotic saddle and everything would be a-okay

I'm glad to hear that.

akahdrin
2012-12-31, 07:28 AM
It would be all fine and dandy til it has to poop and it kills you while you sleep.

avr
2012-12-31, 07:44 AM
You could quite reasonably stand on a gargantuan horse. It'd be like a tiny creature (a cat?) on an ordinary horse. Alternatively, an exotic saddle would probably end up looking like a chariot, only on the horses' back or neck.

DigoDragon
2012-12-31, 08:02 AM

Big Lots? :smalltongue:

I don't see why one couldn't ride a gargantuan horse. As long as you have a means of getting up on its back and holding on, you're there.

Vaz
2012-12-31, 09:52 AM
There is an image in one of the completes (Adventurer?) of a Dire Elephant which is Gargantuan in size bejng ridden. Why not?

GnomeGninjas
2012-12-31, 11:59 AM
I thought there was a rule that you can only ride something one size category larger than you. I couldn't find it and no one here seems to know about it so it probably was some house-rule my group has without realizing it was a house rule.

Marnath
2012-12-31, 12:21 PM
I thought there was a rule that you can only ride something one size category larger than you. I couldn't find it and no one here seems to know about it so it probably was some house-rule my group has without realizing it was a house rule.

You're probably thinking of the rule that says it must be at least one size larger.

GnomeGninjas
2012-12-31, 02:55 PM
You're probably thinking of the rule that says it must be at least one size larger.

I see, thank you.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-12-31, 03:49 PM
The only real issue with riding something obscenely large is that you quickly lose the ability to melee as you'll be outside of 5' 10' even 15' reach from your saddle on the creatures shoulder/back.

JaronK
2012-12-31, 04:02 PM
IIRC, Arms and Equipment Guide had rules for Howdahs, which you can put on really massive animals so that smaller creatures can ride them.

JaronK

awa
2012-12-31, 04:26 PM
i thought that you were treated as being in all squares of your mount but now that i look for a rule to that effect i cant find anything.

so i don't think riding a horse the size of a whale would hinder your own attacks but have nothing to actually base that thought on.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-12-31, 04:42 PM
I think at some point, as the creature gets bigger, you're actually piloting a vehicle that happens to be an animal from a rules perspective despite being mounted in fluff and vehicles require you to be in a driver's seat/area.

awa
2012-12-31, 04:51 PM
is that raw or just a logical house rule?
and if so is it d&d or pf?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-31, 05:03 PM
The description for the delineation between mount and vehicle is in the arms and equipment guide, though I'm not certain if it's well defined since I haven't looked recently.

awa
2012-12-31, 05:08 PM
that's 3.0 though and if i recall correctly (its been a long time so ignore me if im wrong) and sizes and facing worked slightly differently back then.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-31, 05:14 PM
that's 3.0 though and if i recall correctly (its been a long time so ignore me if im wrong) and sizes and facing worked slightly differently back then.

Facing worked differently and was a function of size. Creatures of size large or greater used to be divided into "tall" and "long" creatures and the face entry on stat-blocks wasn't always a square.

I think creatures are still divided into tall or long, but it only effects their reach and facing is always a square.

I don't see any reason these changes would make any difference to the delineation between a mount and a vehicle.

GnomeGninjas
2012-12-31, 06:08 PM
i thought that you were treated as being in all squares of your mount but now that i look for a rule to that effect i cant find anything.

so i don't think riding a horse the size of a whale would hinder your own attacks but have nothing to actually base that thought on.

"For simplicity, assume that you share your mount’s space during combat." (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Mounted_Combat)