PDA

View Full Version : enveloping cocoon spell: question

graeylin
2012-12-30, 04:51 PM
My druid just surrounded a wizard in an enveloping cocoon spell.

however, she's now discovered that said wizard is a psion, and the spell really did nothing useful what-so-ever towards stopping him from casting.

If she wanted to hit said psion with a club, does the hardness and hitpoints of the enveloping cocoon now act as a cocoon of damage reduction to the person trapped inside? Will she have to do more damage than 10 points/level, before she can even begin to hurt the person inside?

sreservoir
2012-12-30, 06:23 PM
you can also dismiss it; it's marked (D).

Dismissing a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

as for the spell's effect ... I'm not sure I understand it. it's written ... strangely?

graeylin
2012-12-30, 06:26 PM
yes, i can dismiss it, but.. that's a round of action, in which time, the psion casts more spells, does more damage and I gain nothing for the round. And once it's dismissed, I have to deal with him with full Dex, AC, mobility, etc..

I was hoping to harm him somehow in the round, and at least gain a little ground in the give and take.

Deophaun
2012-12-30, 06:33 PM
Do you have mummify prepared?

Attach the nastiest SoD to that cocoon, then dismiss it. You have won the combat. Otherwise, consider this a learning experience.

graeylin
2012-12-30, 07:12 PM
Do you have mummify prepared?

Attach the nastiest SoD to that cocoon, then dismiss it. You have won the combat. Otherwise, consider this a learning experience.

No, I do not. wouldn't matter, mummify cannot be attached to the spell.

Per the spell, only the following spells can be attached...

baleful polymorph, blight, contagion, dominate animal, flame strike, infestation of maggots, languor, miasma, phantasmal disorientation, poison

(the only one I have memorized is flame strike, which I could do, but again... that's one more round of combat where I do no damage, and the enemy gets a free shot of spells at the party.)

no answer to the hitpoint feature of the cocoon? does it become a 10 hp/level shield?

Deophaun
2012-12-30, 07:34 PM
Yes, it is a 10 hp/level shield.

A saveless baleful polymorph probably would have ended the encounter.

graeylin
2012-12-30, 07:41 PM
thanks. even worse for me, polymorph and shapechange spells are banned in this DM's world, so not even an option.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-30, 09:37 PM
Wait, doesn't enveloping cocoon block lines of sight and effect? That should stop even a psion.

graeylin
2012-12-30, 10:16 PM
I am honestly not sure. It is a shimmering field of blue-green, so... make of that what you will. Does a shimmering wall of color block LOE/LOS?

Flickerdart
2012-12-30, 10:21 PM
I am honestly not sure. It is a shimmering field of blue-green, so... make of that what you will. Does a shimmering wall of color block LOE/LOS?
The spell description has it as a coccoon of force which would block LoE, but not LoS.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-31, 12:17 AM
Well, if it blocks either, it really gimps a caster (unless he can teleport out, of course.)