PDA

View Full Version : Morph Bark's NPC Database

Morph Bark
2012-12-30, 05:47 PM
As a DM, I make a lot of use of the internet. I use an online dice roller on the WotC site, I can check rules in the SRD when needed, look up feats or spells or dig through the Homebrew Tier Compendium for homebrew classes that my players are using.

Since I often need to reinstall my laptops or desktop, and I also switch laptops a lot depending on which I'm using a lot at the time or another proves handier for that session, using an external source to put information seems like a good idea, especially since I can easily access the internet at all the places we regularly play at.

One thing that would be very handy to put in such a place is therefore this: this little database of NPCs that I can utilize to look up NPCs fit for a certain purpose and of an appropriate level to use in an encounter with my PCs. I will also be putting the NPCs in an organized list in the second post for easy cross-referencing.

While others are also free to put NPCs of their own in this thread, or discuss them or talk about the possible things to do with them, I won't be listing NPCs other than mine in the second post, because I fear that if I'd do that, then I'd get a ton of work going over NPC stats, moreso than just easily listing my own stuff and keeping the harder work contained to the Homebrew Tier Compendium.

This is very much something for my own selfish purposes, but all of you are free to use the NPCs to your liking. Baator, I even make sure to format them so that it's clear how many ranks they've got in skills or what feats they got and their level progression, so that they can be easily replicated for PC builds (once again also largely for selfish purposes, as I can often come up with a build idea that seems fun, but that I'd rather wish to try out as a PC rather than as a DM).

NPCs I create will primarily use official material, but occassionally may feature homebrew classes or races (especially if created for Ymaggion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251075)). It's also pretty likely that an NPC with otherwise entirely official rules and material will feature a single set of homebrew items or abilities, or will be accompanied with houserules specific to that NPC.

NPC Template
Name, ECL , CR
x

The Backstory
x

The Build
The Basics
Medium Humanoid (human), TN
Race Classes

Build progression:
Advancement:

Senses
Initiative: +
Senses: Listen +0, Search +0, Sense Motive +0, Spot +0
Languages: Common

Defenses
Armor Class: , touch , flat-footed
Hit points:
Saves: Fort +, Ref +, Will +

Offenses
Speed: 30 ft
Size/Reach: 5 ft/5 ft
Melee:
Ranged: --
Attack options:
BAB: +; Grapple: +

Feats, Skills and Special Qualities
Ability scores: Str 13, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 20, Wis 10, Cha 8
Flaw:
Feats:
Skills:

x

Skill tricks:

Equipment
Armor:
Weapons:
Worn items:
Tools:

Special Abilities

x

Tactics
x

Sources and Adaptation Only non-Core sources listed
x

Morph Bark
2012-12-30, 05:49 PM
NPC Template Explanation

First I start off with a description of what the NPC looks like, should the PCs come across them. There may be multiple versions of this if the NPC is a master of disguise, a high-class socialite who changes a lot, or an adventurer with "work-clothes" and "off-day clothes".

The Backstory
This is primarily a description of things the PCs could come to know through investigation and therefore doesn't go deeply into the NPC's motivations or thoughts, unless they are very vocal about them. There may be Knowledge or Gather Information check DCs listed on occassion. Mostly, this is a tool for a DM to determine how to play the NPC. Motivations can easily be changed even, to make a bloodlusty conqueror into more of a tragic villain. NPCs, like fluff, are muteable.

The Build
The easiest part, no doubt, and therefore I shan't go into much detail about it, other than saying "yes, this is an unconventional stat block and yes it looks more like the MMIV/MMV one than the normal one, but frick it, it makes the divisions easier, despite my liking the normal one more; normally".

Only one thing really needs further insight though, which is:

Special Abilities
This includes class abilities (or at least active ones or important ones), but also racial ones and sometimes abilities gained through feats that are big enough to need a little further detail rather than just a mention in the feat list.

Tactics
Simple, this is the way they commonly fight in battles. Some NPCs may not be fond of battle though, so their Tactics section will most likely detail how they attempt to get away or otherwise defuse the situation.

Sources and Adaptation
Another easy one, listing the sources that the NPCs mechanics draw from, including official books, Dragon magazines, homebrew bits and pieces and whatevermore.

NPC Database List
Below here I will probably put some kind of tagging system at some point once there will be plenty of NPCs, to make it easier to look for a particular sort of character.

CR 1

CR 2
Simon O'Nakt (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14468607#post14468607)

CR 3

CR 4

CR 5

CR 6

CR 7

CR 8
Hector Rommel (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14450671#post14450671)

CR 9
Herr Klaus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14472796#post14472796) [Unfinished]

CR 10
Doctor Bruce Bixby

CR 11
Buford Stackhouse
Nobby "Nobelius" X’anthraxik’hadk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14468959&posted=1#post14468959)

CR 12

CR 13

CR 14

CR 15

CR 16

CR 17

CR 18

CR 19

CR 20
Tarrasquean (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14901357&postcount=427)

CR 20+
Marty Sulu (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15908132#post15908132)

Morph Bark
2012-12-30, 06:21 PM
Hector Rommel, ECL 8, CR 8
A broad-shouldered figure standing 9 feet tall and calves thick as oak trees lumbers around the corner, turning a pale yellow eye in your direction underneath a huge mop of shaggy brown hair. Clad in patchy hide armor and steel bracers about ready to burst loose from his arms, his sandaled steps come slow, but surely. In one hand he grasps a giant hammer that rests on its shoulder, surely too big even for the giant of man to wield in just the one hand. With a rumble from his throat that sounds like laughter, he lifts the hammer up and grasps it with both hands as his steps begin to quicken, his eyes mad with murderlust…

The Backstory
Hector Rommel was born into a mafia family of the sadistic Don Erald Rommel, who punished his niece for hindering his authority by marrying her off to the son of a minotaur tribe chief. When Hector was born, Erald came to the minotaur tribe and discussed with the chief that he would take Hector with him to his Family when Hector was an adult.

Hector became an enforcer for the family, but soon seemingly broke away from them and became a law enforcement officer. He was very effective at his job, although sometimes he was too aggressive and violent. Eventually, when the lawmen got evidence of illegal practices of the Rommel Family and their involvement in a pair of political assassinations, Hector was amongst the lawmen who stormed the Family’s headquarters and came face-to-face with his grandfather, Don Erald Rommel. Erald tried to influence his grandson, who countered his words with arguments of his own, then quickly turned and cracked the skulls of the officers who were there with him, killing them after having deceived them. Erald approached his grandson grinning, proud of his deception, but before he could fully praise him he, too, had his face smashed into a bloody pulp by the burly half-man, who proceeded to flee the room and terrorized the city with a murder spree the month after, before disappearing entirely. He’s now rumored to roam the land, going from city to city and roam the streets at night, terrorizing the poor folk in the ghettoes.

The Build
The Basics
Large Humanoid (human), CE

Huge when raging, Huge during Expansion, Gargantuan when raging during Expansion, or during augmented Expansion, Colossal when raging during augmented Expansion
Half-Minotaur Human Ardent 3/Stoneblessed 3/Goliath Barbarian 1

Build progression: Ardent 2/Stoneblessed 3/Ardent +1/Goliath Barbarian 1
Advancement: Continue on with more Ardent, go into Slayer or switch Exotic Weapon Proficiency (goliath greathammer) for Cleave and go into War Hulk. Instead of a goliath greathammer, have Hector use a greataxe or an ordinary warhammer. He will also likely want Extra Rage at some point.

Senses
Initiative: +0
Senses: darkvision 60 ft, scent; Listen +5, Search +1, Sense Motive +3, Spot +5

Defenses
Armor Class: 16 (+4 natural, +3 armor, -1 size), touch 9, flat-footed 16
Hit points: 68 hp (7 HD; 3d6 + 3d8 + 1d12 + 38)
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +2, Will +7

Offenses
Speed: 50 ft
Size/Reach: 10 ft/10 ft
Melee: +1 keen Large goliath greathammer +17 melee (3d6+12, 19-20/x4)

Rage: +1 keen Huge goliath greathammer +21 melee (4d6+16, 19-20/x4)
Expansion: +1 keen Huge goliath greathammer +18 melee (4d6+13, 19-20/x4)
Expansion + Rage: +1 keen Gargantuan goliath greathammer +23 melee (6d6+18, 19-20/x4)
Expansion (augmented): +1 keen Gargantuan goliath greathammer +20 melee (6d6+15, 19-20/x4)
Expansion (augmented) + Rage: +1 keen Colossal goliath greathammer +24 melee (8d6+19, 19-20/x4)
Attack options: Power Attack, psionic powers
BAB: +5; Grapple: +17

Ability scores: Str 26, Dex 10, Con 20, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 8
Feats: TrackB, Power Attack [H], Exotic Weapon Proficiency (goliath greathammer) [1], Practiced ManifesterCPsi 57 [3], Toughness [S3], Expanded Knowledge (expansion) [6]
Skills:

Appraise +1 (2 ranks)
Craft (stoneworking) +4 (5 ranks)
Intimidate +7 (8 ranks)
Sense Motive +5 (0 ranks)

Equipment
Armor: hide armor
Weapons: +1 keen Large goliath greathammer
Worn items: --
Tools: potion of bear’s endurance, potion of cure serious wounds

Special Abilities
Power Points per day: 21
Mantles chosen: Death (primary), Deception (primary), Pain and Suffering (secondary)
Powers Known: (3 level 1, expansion, 1 level 4)

Level 1: Expansion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/expansion.htm), Psionic Charm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/charmPsionic.htm), Stygian DiscernmentCPsi 100
Level 3: Forced Share Pain (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/sharePainForced.htm)

Minotaur Cunning (Ex): Half-minotaurs gain much of the innate cunning of their minotaur parent. This gives the half-minotaur a +4 bonus on Intelligence checks to escape maze spells and the ability to determine which direction is north automatically.

Mountain Rage (Ex): Hector can rage as a free action on his turn, increasing his size category by one and his Strength score increases by +6, his Constitution score increases by +4, he gets a +2 bonus on Will saves and a -2 penalty to AC. This lasts for 7 rounds (3 + his new Constitution modifier) and at the end Bixby is fatigued. He can use this ability once per day.

Tactics
Become as big as possible for the surroundings to allow (expansion, rage). Charge if possible. Use other psionic powers when not capable of raging.

Expanded Psionics Handbook: Expansion, Forced Share Pain, Psionic Charm.
Complete Psionic: Ardent, Stygian Discernment.
Races of Stone: Stoneblessed, Goliath Barbarian, goliath greathammer.
Dragon #313: Half-minotaur template.

If the half-minotaur template is banned or you as the DM don’t want to use Dragon material or you simply don’t have access to it, you can instead use a Large race in place of a half-minotaur human. Half-ogre (Races of Destiny) is a good substitute for only LA+2.
If you don’t use Ardent, you can instead use the Psychic Warrior, which will allow you to get Expansion without using a feat, but you will have much less power points to spend on Expansion.
If Races of Stone is unavailable, or you cannot use either Stoneblessed or Goliath Barbarian, Hector Rommel simply doesn’t exist.
Furthermore, Goliath Barbarian doesn’t explicitly allow you to become Huge. While it allows Goliaths to grow one size category during Mountain Rage, this is because Goliaths are Medium and Mountain Rage causes you to become Large (‘though your size increases only one size category, your height only increases by one foot’). I used a loose ruling on this to allow Hector to become Colossal in combination with augmented Expansion, but if you don’t want to do this or aren’t allowed to do this, switch the three levels of Stoneblessed for one level of Ardent and two levels of Fighter. You can keep Barbarian (with normal rage) or switch it for Ardent, Slayer or War Hulk.

Jormengand
2012-12-30, 06:42 PM
While others are also free to put NPCs of their own in this thread, or discuss them or talk about the possible things to do with them, I won't be listing NPCs other than mine in the second post, because I fear that if I'd do that, then I'd get a ton of work going over NPC stats, moreso than just easily listing my own stuff and keeping the harder work contained to the Homebrew Tier Compendium.

How about we have a post for listing stuff that isn't Morph's? Because then, I can list things even if you don't want to. That said, anyone caught annoying me into putting them up will be shot.

ECL 1

ECL 2

ECL 3

ECL 4

ECL 5

ECL 6

ECL 7

ECL 8

ECL 9

ECL 10

ECL 11

ECL 12

ECL 13
Castor
Pollux (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6377600&postcount=32)
ECL 14

ECL 15
Castor and Pollux, together. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6377600&postcount=32)
ECL 16

ECL 17

ECL 18

ECL 19

ECL 20

ECL 20+

Morph Bark
2012-12-30, 06:57 PM
How about we have a post for listing stuff that isn't Morph's? Because then, I can list things even if you don't want to. That said, anyone caught annoying me into putting them up will be shot.

Well, that's entirely fine, of course. Saves me the trouble. :smalltongue:

Jormengand
2012-12-30, 07:08 PM
Well, that's entirely fine, of course. Saves me the trouble. :smalltongue:

That was part of the point. :smallbiggrin:

Loki_42
2012-12-31, 12:59 PM
Thank you for this, this is a great idea. Already Hector slots in nicely to my campaign. If I can come up with any good NPCs, I'll be sure to post them here. I think this is a great resource for the whole playground.

Domriso
2012-12-31, 02:05 PM
Very intrigued. Will be following, perhaps contributing.

Morph Bark
2013-01-03, 03:30 PM
Simon O’Nakt, ECL 1, CR 2*
Over the hilly road comes riding astride the blackest horse you’ve ever seen. Every inch of his body is covered by plate armor and a thick shield hangs by his side. He holds a lance in his hand and stops when he notices you.

“Oh, frabjous day! That in its light I wouldst dare get to see these brigands upon the morn’s last hour! Thee brigands of ill repute and much dishonor, must I now face thee in sporting manner that is expected of me? Then by my lord, so shallst I hasten forthwith to make thine end!”**

The Backstory
Simon is a man born into a small noble family with little power in the county of Heimgarden. Even as a little boy, up until adulthood, he has always been obsessed with becoming a knight. So much, in fact, that some people have spread rumors about him having gone mad from reading books on chivalry.

The Build
The Basics
Medium Humanoid (human), TN
Human Fighter 1
Build progression: Err…Advancement: More Fighter.

Senses
Initiative: +3
Senses: Listen +0, Search +0, Sense Motive +0, Spot +0

Defenses
Armor Class: 21 (+1 Dex, +8 armor, +1 shield), touch 11, flat-footed 20
Hit points: 10 hp (1 HD)
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Will +0

Offenses
Melee: lance +2 melee (1d8+1)
Attack options:
BAB: +1; Grapple: +2

Ability scores: Str 13, Dex 17, Con 11, Int 7, Wis 10, Cha 9
Flaw: --
Feats: Mounted Combat (H), Ride-By-Attack (1), Spirited Charge (F1)
Skills:
Ride +7
Survival +6Skill tricks: --

Equipment
Armor: full plate, heavy wooden shield
Weapons: lance
Tools: --

Rockinant
Warhorse, Light
Size/Type: Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 4d10+12 (34 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 135 ft. (27 squares), 105 in armor (21 sq)
Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +4 natural, +8 armor), touch 10, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+10
Attack: Hoof +6 melee (1d4+3)
Full Attack: 2 hooves +6 melee (1d4+3) and bite +1 melee (1d3+3)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Superior low-light vision, darkvision 60 ft, scent, cold resistance 10, fast healing 2
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +4, Will +3
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 13, Con 17, Int 27, Wis 13, Cha 10
Skills: Decipher Script +12, Knowledge (arcane, architecture and engineering, history, local (Heimgarden), nobility and royalty, religion) +12, Perception +9, Stealth +7
Feats: Endurance, Travel Devotion
Traits: Quick

Tl;dr: maximized empowered awakened dark shadow light warhorse with Travel Devotion and the Quick trait.

Special Abilities
--

Tactics
Simon O’Nakt usually starts off delivering a speech to his opponents lengthy enough to take at least a move action. Afterwards, he shuts his helmets visor and charges with his lance. If he falls below 5 hit points, he surrenders, but will not shut up about how dishonourable it was of him to surrender, but that it truly means his opponents were worthy ones.

Complete Champion: Travel Devotion
Lords of Madness: Shadow template
Tome of Magic: Dark template

*Simon is rated as CR 2 due to his mount and having slightly more expensive equipment than normal for a level 1 character. His mount doesn't participate much in combat though, and the equipment wouldn't matter against opponents of much higher level, and so his CR is only raised by one, effectively.
**Bad Shakespearean terms fully intentional.

Wyntonian
2013-01-03, 04:32 PM
I'll throw in some of mine, from various games.

Morph Bark
2013-01-03, 04:38 PM
Nobby “Nobelius” X’anthraxik’hadk, ECL 11, CR 11
A bent-over, short figure with a bald head hops carefully around the puddles of water, it's oily green skin glistening in the dim light of the glowshrooms. It's yellow eyes give you a look of suspicion.

"Ahh, fresh meat, I see." The creature mutters.

The Backstory
Goblins are never thought of as much by the "civilized" races, but they are too often underestimated. Nobby is very much proof of this, coming from a prestigious goblin family, its members known for blowing themselves up. Not Nobby though, his talents lay more in creation rather than destruction, and that ultimately proved his undoing. When he drew plans for the cave-chief's new hall, he forgot to carry a 2 and ended up with an absolute wreck, bringing down upon him the rage of the cave-chief. He was chased down further into the bowels of the caverns and there he fell down into a hole. Ever since then, he's managed to keep himself alive, especially since he found out that a group of mindflayers kept their food-prisoners and slaves locked up in the same cavern he had fallen into. He managed to keep himself hidden from the mindflayers for the months that have passed since then, or maybe they simply want him to think that...?

The Build
The Basics
Small Humanoid (goblinoid), TN
Goblin Artificer 11
Build progression: Err...Advancement: More Artificer.

Senses
Initiative: +4
Senses: Listen -2, Search +17, Sense Motive -2, Spot -2

Defenses
Armor Class: 18 (+4 Dex, +4 armour), touch 14, flat-footed 14
Hit points: 76 hp (11 HD)
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +5

Offenses
Melee: short sword +6/+1 melee (1d6-1)
Attack options: --
BAB: +7; Grapple: +2

Ability scores: Str 9, Dex 18, Con 8, Int 16, Wis 6, Cha 16
Flaw:
Feats: Improved Toughness
Skills:
Concentration +13
Disable Device +17
Knowledge (architecture and engineering) +17
Open Lock +18
Search +17
Spellcraft +17
Use Magic Device +17Skill tricks:

Equipment
Armor: chain shirt
Weapons: short sword
Tools: wand of divine power (15 charges)

Special Abilities
Typical Infusions prepared: (4/4/4/2/1)
1—Identify, Lesser Armour Enhancement (x3)
2—Armour Enhancement, Cat’s Grace, Bear’s Endurance, Eagle’s Splendour
3—Greater Armour Enhancement (x3), Power Surge
4—Greater Construct Energy Ward, Weapon Augmentation
5—Fabricate/Wall of Stone

Tactics
Nobby is definitely not a fighter, carrying his short sword mostly just for show. If he participates, he'll participate alongside allies whom he can use his infusions on and aid them in that manner instead.

Eberron Campaign Setting: the Artificer class

Morph Bark
2013-01-04, 10:20 AM
Herr Klaus, ECL 9, CR 9
A skulking black-feathered figure four and a half feet tall steps out of the shadows and gives a little bow. His beaked face is set below a bowler hat and the creature appears to be wearing a pinstripe tuxedo of sorts. He appears to be quite well-fed, judging by his girth, in spite of the troubles facing the country these days.

"Good day," he greets you in a posh accent, "Herr Klaus, at your service, milady."

The Backstory
x

The Build
The Basics
Medium Humanoid (kenku), TN
Kenku Rogue 1/Binder 1/Beguiler 3/Squire of Legend (Reikhardt) 3/Mindbender 1
Build progression: Exactly as above.Advancement: More Beguiler or go into Anima Mage. Consider a level in Swordsage and pick up Assassin's Stance. Unseen Seer is also a good option.

Senses
Initiative: +4
Senses: Listen +12, Search +16, Sense Motive +12, Spot +12

Defenses
Armor Class: 19 (+5 Dex, +3 armor, +1 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Hit points: 59 hp (9 HD; 4d6+2d8+3d10+18)
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +8, Will +11

Offenses
Melee: masterwork dagger +5 melee (1d4)
Attack options: sneak attack +1d6, sudden strike +2d6
BAB: +4; Grapple: +4

Ability scores: Str 10, Dex 19, Con 15, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 12
Flaw: --
Feats: Shape Soulmeld (Blink Shirt) (1), Practised Binder (3), Shadow Weave Magic (6), Mindsight (9)
Skills:
Balance +13
Bluff +12
Craft (trapmaking) +9
Diplomacy +14
Disguise +12 (+24 when using disguise self)
Hide +15
Intimidate +3
Jump +9
Knowledge(History) +6
Listen +12
Move Silently +15
Open Lock +9
Perform (Guitar) +9
Search +16
Sense Motive +12
Sleight of Hand +11
Spot +12
Tumble +12Skill tricks: Assume Quirk

Equipment
Armor: leather armor
Weapons: masterwork dagger
Worn items:
Tools:

Special Abilities
x

Tactics
x

Complete Arcane: Mindbender PrC
Complete Champion: Squire of Legend PrC
Complete Scoundrel: Assume Quirk skill trick
Lords of Madness: Mindsight feat
Magic of Incarnum: Shape Soulmeld feat, Blink Shirt soulmeld
Monster Manual III: Kenku race
Player's Handbook II: Beguiler class
Tome of Magic: Binder class, Practised Binder feat, Shadow Weave Magic feat

In progress. An old cohort to one of my players.

DracoDei
2013-01-04, 12:24 PM
Simon O’Nakt may technically be CR 1 individually (if way over the NPC WBL guidelines), but his mount has to be at least CR 2 by itself (and probably higher just eyeballing it), meaning it is a CR 3+ encounter if he is mounted.

I might post my warlock rat-catcher here (built around a homebrew blast-shape), or maybe even some of the NPCs I have used in my games, such as the hell-hound who found himself on the prime material plane, beat the crap out of the biggest alpha male wolf he could find, and now commands several packs worth of half-fiend and fiendish wolves (his personal pack is made entirely of some of his half-fiend children IIRC while the satellite packs are fiendish lead by a single half-fiend). He actually was trying to get into shepherding to get more power rather than hiding out in the woods when things went badly and his subordinates ended up killing a farms worth of peasants to keep them from blabbing, fortunately one child was in the house when negotiations were going on and only emerged to see the dead bodies of her family and the sheep missing she headed into town and there I had my adventure hook.

Then there was the temple of Corellian Liarathion (SP!) that slowly got infiltrated due to the priests relocating until it was all followers of Nerull who were going to slowly turn the locals to Evil. The PCs are tasked with killing every priest in the place in such a way that it can be blamed on an attack by Nerull cultists, thus saving the true priests embarrassment and directing the blame in a vaguely appropriate direction.

Might just do most of these as links to character sheets.

Morph Bark
2013-01-05, 08:38 AM
Hmmm, I'm thinking it might be better if I arrange the NPCs by CR instead of ECL on the list, since CR is usually more important in encounters, whereas ECL only really matters for PCs.

DracoDei
2013-01-05, 02:09 PM
Hmmm, I'm thinking it might be better if I arrange the NPCs by CR instead of ECL on the list, since CR is usually more important in encounters, whereas ECL only really matters for PCs.
Technically I'd go by EL rather than CR...

Speaking of which *Crosses claws and hopes the thread isn't old enough to have been locked in the mass-locking that happened way back*.

Nope.... too old. Since I don't feel like re-doing all the bolding and italicizing and such, you get a link instead.

Meet Castor and Pollux (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6377600&postcount=32), Wing Dragon border-guards. CR 13 (Estimate due to Wing Dragons being homebrew), for an EL of 15 as a pair. Neutral-Good alignment.

Morph Bark
2013-08-27, 05:46 PM
Marty Sulu

CR 71
(according to CR calculations; rough guesses suggest its closer to CR 41 or 34)
Formerly humanoid, or rather its ancestors, they were bred with outsiders, elementals, dragons, giants, fey, aberrations and other humanoids. From this extensive breeding process, “they” were born. Outwardly appearing otherworldly, they clearly have a primal, earthly beast within them.

As one of them, beautiful as a divine being, Marty Sulu appears as an androgynous youth with small ruby scales scattered across its pale skin. Pristine white leathery wings sprout from its shoulders and long black hair falls down its back. Its eyes have glowing blue cornea and pupils and its irises glow red. The creature glistens in the sun, but the light reveals a look on its face that shows the pain it holds deep inside, hidden from others in secret. Suddenly, it yawns, revealing an unexpectedly large mouth filled with shifting fangs and a frightening lack of anything beyond as you stare into nothingness and you realize that if the creature is not friendly, your existence might soon be reduced to nothingness as well.

(Abilities below mention a Maly Suano. This was the name of the first successful breeding project outcome. At least, that’s the justification for it, since you were too lazy to go change it around in all the abilities. And let’s not mention Marty’s brothers Garrett and Stewart. Or their older sister Susan. Susan’s a *itch.)

Medium Giant (reptilian, shapechanger)
Commoner 1/Lycanthrope 43
Hit Dice 1d4+14 plus 43d8+1270 (1480 hp)
Initiative +8
Speed 40 ft, fly 80 ft (good)
Armour Class 61 (+4 Dex, +47 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 57
Base Attack Bonus/Grapple +32/+36
Attack Bite +53 melee (1d6+21)
Full Attack Bite +53 melee (1d6+21) and gore +48 melee (1d6+21) and 2 claws +37 melee (1d6+10) and 2 tentacles +37 melee (1d4+10)
Space/Reach 10 ft/10 ft
Special Attacks awesome beauty, breath weapon, change shape, rend (2d6+33), spell-like abilities
Special Qualities blindsight 60 ft, DR 10/magic, DR 5/piercing, DR 10/silver, darkvision 60 ft, fast healing 5, immunity to acid, cold, confusion/insanity, disease, electricity, enchantments, energy drain, fire, poison, sleep and sonic, low-light vision, scent, SR 54, water breathing
Saves Fort +38, Ref +30, Will +29
Abilities Str 52, Dex 24, Con 34, Int 16, Wis 24, Cha 26
Skills Appraise +4, Balance +11, Bluff +10, Climb+22, Disguise +57, Hide +13, Jump +27, Listen +63, Move Silently +10, Perform (sing) +57, Search +8, Sleight of Hand +4, Spot +63
Feats (15+B) Aberration Blood (tail) [33], Alertness (B), Blind-Fight [21], Combat Reflexes [42], Dodge [6], Endurance [1], Flyby Attack [12], Enlarge Breath [30], Improved Flyby Attack [15], Improved Initiative (B), Inhuman Reach [36], Mage Slayer [18], Mobility [9], Pierce Magical Concealment [21], Maximize Breath [24], Heighten Breath [27], Stand Still [39], Steadfast Determination [3], Track (B)
Flaws Too Perfect (grants no feats because Maly Suano doesn’t need any)
Treasure Lots of jewelry made from platinum, gold, silver, bronze, copper, brass, adamantine and mithral, set with emeralds, rubies, sapphires, diamonds, topazes and crystals in every colour

Ability Drain (Su): Maly Suano’s bite can drain 1d4 points of Constitution if the victim fails a Fortitude save (DC 46). Maly Suano can use this ability three times per day.

Alternate Forms (Su): Maly Suano may take the form of any Humanoid creature, as if using an alter self spell cast by a 9th-level sorcerer, except it allows Maly Suano to take only Humanoid forms instead of Giant forms. Maly Suano may do this at will as a standard action.

Awesome Beauty (Su): This ability affects all humanoids within 30 ft of Maly Suano. Those who look directly at it must succeed on a Will save (DC 16) or be shaken for 1 minute. A creature that remains in range and continues to look at Maly Suano must continue to make saving throws against this ability every round. A successful saving throw while already shaken does not free the creature from the effect of the initial failed save. A failed save throw while shaken resets the duration of the shaken condition. Maly Suano can suppress or resume this ability as a free action. This is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Blood Dependency (Ex): If Maly Suano does not use its blood drain special attack against at least one living foe each day, it must make a DC 15 Fortitude save or become fatigued. Each day after the first that it does not drink blood directly from a living creature, the DC increases by 1 until it fails the save and becomes fatigued. After that, it must make a DC 20 Fortitude save each week (with the DC increasing by 1 each week thereafter) that it does not use its blood drain or become exhausted.
The fatigue or exhaustion caused by blood dependency cannot be eliminated by rest (though magic can offset the condition until Maly Suano fails another save). Using its blood drain ability eliminates Maly Suano’s fatigue immediately, or reduces exhaustion to fatigue.

Blood Drain (Ex): As a half-vampire, Maly Suano can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood, dealing 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. It can’t drain more points of Contitution in a single hour than its Constitution score. When a half-vampire drains a victim’s Constitution, it gains 5 temporary hit points, no matter how many points it drains. Temporary hit points gained in this way last for up to 1 hour.

Breath Weapon (Su): Maly Suano’s breath weapon is a 30 ft line of prismatic light that deals 6d8 points of acid damage, 6d8 points of cold damage, 6d8 points of electricity damage, 6d10 points of fire damage, 6d8 points of force damage and 6d8 points of sonic damage. A successful Reflex save (DC 46) reduces damage by half. Creatures who fail their Reflex save are also blinded for 1d4 rounds. Creatures caught in the line must also succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 46) and a Will save (DC 46). Those who fail the Fortitude save gain 1 negative level and are deafened for 1d4 rounds. Those who fail the Will save are panicked for 1d4 rounds. If directed at a body of water, this breath weapon evaporates 1 cubic foot of water per point of damage dealt. Maly Suano can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage with its breath weapon. It can use its breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds.

Cause Rain (Su): Maly Suano can breathe storm clouds three times per day, causing rain. The rain lasts for 2d4 hours and extends in a 2-mile radius centered on Maly Suano.

Change Shape (Su): As a standard action, Maly Suano can change into a pseudonatural half-beast form, tentacle and hairy and all tooth and claw, but yet still divinely beautiful and strong.
Medium Hybrid: Str +46, Dex +34, Con +34, +28 natural armor, 50 ft, climb 20 ft, swim 30 ft, fly 40 ft (good), bite secondary attack (1d6+Str)
Maly Suano cannot be flanked in its Hybrid Form, and it’s not subject to critical hits. Material Plane creatures take a -1 morale penalty on attack rolls against Maly Suano in this form
Bite +76 melee (1d6+44), 2 claws +49 melee (1d4+22), 4 tentacles +49 melee (1d4+22)
Blindsense (Ex): A dire bat uses echolocation to pinpoint creatures within 40 feet and so does Maly Suano in its Hybrid Form. Opponents still have total concealment against it unless it can actually see them.
Disease (Ex): Filth fever—bite, Fortitude DC 63, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based. Maly Suano’s bite attack applies the filth fever disease while in its Hybrid Form.
Ferocity (Ex): A boar is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying, and so does Maly Suano in its Hybrid Form.
Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, Maly Suano must hit with a bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can rake.
Hold Breath (Ex): Maly Suano can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.
Keen Scent (Ex): Maly Suano can notice creatures by scent in a 180-foot radius and can detect blood in the water at a range of up to 1 mile.
Pounce (Ex): If Maly Suano charges a foe, it can make a full attack, including two rake attacks.
Rake (Ex): Attack bonus +49 melee, damage 1d6+22.
Trip (Ex): If Maly Suano hits with a bite attack, it can attempt to trip the opponent (+44 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip Maly Suano.

Minotaur Cunning (Ex): Maly Suano has a +4 bonus on Intelligence checks to escape maze spells and the ability to determine which direction is north automatically.

Roar (Ex): Maly Suano can roar three times per day, creating a sound resembling metal scraping against stone. All creatures within 60 ft are automatically deafened for 1 round (no save).

Spell-like abilities:
At will--charm person, disguise self, empathy.
5/day--plane shift.
3/day--blink, blur, darkness, detect law, ethereal jaunt, holy aura, poison, protection from evil, protection from law, unholy aura.
2/day--horrid wilting, obscuring mist.
1/day--acid fog, aid, air walk, blasphemy, bless, burning hands, chain lightning, charm (mass), charm monster (mass), cone of cold, confusion, contagion, control water, control weather, control winds, cure serious wounds, desecrate, destruction, detect evil, dispel evil, dominate person, earthquake, elemental swarm*, enlarge person, enthrall, eyebite, faerie fire, fire shield, fire seeds, firestorm, flaming sphere, fog cloud, gaseous form, geas/quest, geas (lesser), glitterdust, hallow, hold monster, holy smite, holy word, ice storm, implosion, incendiary cloud, insanity, invisibility, invisibility (greater), invisibility (mass), iron body, magic stone, neutralize poison, Otto’s irresistible dance, produce flame, reduce person, remove disease, resurrection, scintillating pattern, sleep, speak with animals, soften earth and stone, spike stones, stinking cloud, stone shape, stoneskin, suggestion, suggestion (mass), summon monster IX**, Tasha’s hideous laughter, telekinesis, touch of idiocy, unhallow, unholy blight, wall of fire, wall of stone, water breathing, whirlwind, wind wall.

*Elemental Swarm can be used 1/day for each of the four elemental types.
**Summon Monster IX can be used 1/day to summon only celestials, 1/day to summon only fiends and 1/day to summon only pseudonatural animals or vermin. Select any celestial or fiendish animal or vermin that could be summoned by summon monster IX, but apply the pseudonatural template to the creature in place of the celestial or fiendish template.

Water Fire (Su): Six times per day, Maly Suano can surround itself in an aura of ghostly, flickering, multi-coloured flames while touching or submerged in water. The flames cause damage to any creature touching Maly Suano. Any creature that successfully hits Maly Suano with a natural weapon or a melee weapon causes the attacker to take 1d6 points of fire damage. This ability lasts for 1 minute or until it comes in contact with normal or magical fire. If the water fire is dispelled by fire, Maly Suano cannot activate this ability again for 2d6 minutes.

Barknotes:
For Maly Suano’s Half-Doppelganger part I made it so Maly Suano could simply access all Humanoid forms instead of just three, as if applying the Half-Doppelganger template several times, but not allowing the Wisdom bonus to stack with itself each time.

For the Half-Dragon parts I applied a special rule, being that I would not allow the ability score bonuses and such to stack from multiple Half-Dragon templates, otherwise Maly Suano would have over 500 Strength, over 200 Constitution and over 100 Intelligence, Charisma and natural armor. Furthermore, I sort of merged all the breath weapons together, adding up their damage (but making energy damage of the same type overlap) and area (hence a 30 ft line) and allowing Maly Suano to use it at will every 1d4 rounds. This for the sake of making it easy for me mostly, otherwise Maly Suano would have 32 different breath weapons! Merging the breath weapons might create a bit of an overkill attack, but I figure that that makes up for the much lower ability scores and natural armor, plus creating a much more elegant outcome. For this reason, I also had any Half-Dragon templates beyond the first apply only a +1 CR modifier.

For the Half-Fey part, I simply allowed Maly Suano to have the “X or Y 1/day” spell-like abilities as “X and Y 1/day”. Kind of like applying the Half-Fey template twice, except in limited fashion. The fey blood is strong in this one. Besides, some of the SLAs refer to spells that were removed from the 3.5 update.

For the Half-Janni part, I simply counted its Planar Jaunt ability to be the same as Planeshift, even though it’s normally limited to a handful of planes. It doesn’t really matter much when you can already shift to any plane a bunch of times per day, so one can just fluff it as the abilities synergizing and upgrading Planar Jaunt to Planeshift.

The lycanthrope hybrid forms were simply merged together (an actual ‘hybrid’ of all the forms), hence why it is Medium size, the same size as Maly Suano herself, considering lycanthrope base animals must be within one size category of the base humanoid or giant anyway.

Maly Suano’s base race was originally a Mongrelfolk, since that race already has all the nonreptilian humanoids mixed into it, prettymuch. Currently however, she has no base race, but it has to be humanoid. I forgot exactly how I got her to be a Medium Giant, since she has both Half-Minotaur and Half-Ogre applied, but it might be either dungeonbreeding or something like Permanently Reduce Person: Giant Edition or simply Return to Nature. Making the base race human or strongheart Halfling are favourite ideas. Kobold is also a possibility, though that would remove the reptilian template (Savage Species), reducing Str, Con, Wis and natural armour by 2 and lowering racial bonuses to Balance and Jump by 4. Picking a Small base race rather than Medium increases Str by 4, Con by 2 and reduces Dex by 2.

Every Half-template ever:
Half-Doppelganger: Wis +2, +2 natural armor, +2 racial bonus to Bluff and Disguise, Alertness bonus feat, immune to sleep and charm
SLA in Dragon 313, p 93
Half-Janni: Str +2, Dex +2, Int +2, Wis +2, +1 natural armor, Improved Initiative bonus feat, resistance to fire 5
SLA in Dragon 313, p 94
Half-Minotaur: Str +4, Con +2, Int -2, +2 natural armor, scent, darkvision, +2 to Listen, Search and Spot, Track bonus feat, primary gore attack (1d6+Str if Medium) it uses as a secondary attack if it also uses a weapon; also, Small or Medium creature becomes Large (this also increases speed by 10 ft)
Half-Nymph: Dex +2, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4, counts as fey for item use and spells, Awesome Beauty (Su) ability
Half-Ogre: Str +4, Int -2, Cha -2, darkvision, Giant blood; also, Small or Medium creature becomes Large (this also increases speed by 10 ft)
Half-Rakshasa: Dex +2, Con +2, Cha +2, +4 natural armor, DR 5/magic or piercing, two claw attacks (1d4+½ Str),+10 ft movement speed
SLAs in Dragon 313, p 96
Half-Satyr: +2 natural armor, +2 Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Perform (any one) and Spot, low-light vision, counts as fey for item use and spells, headbutt secondary attack (1d4+½ Str)
50x Half-Dragon = Str +400, Con +200, Int +100, Cha +100, +150 natural armor, bite (1d6+Str), two claw attacks (1d4+½ Str), immunity to all energy types
Unless ruled that multi-dragon does not stack: Str +8, Con +4, Int +2, Cha +2, +3 natural armor, bite (1d6+Str), two claw attacks (1d4+½ Str), immunity to all energy types
All Half-Outsiders = Str +8, Dex +6, Con +6, Int +6, Wis +4, Cha +6, +2 natural armor, Smite (Su) 1/day
SLAs in MM/SRD
All Half-Elementals = Str +6, Dex +4, Con +8, Int +6, Wis +4, Cha +6, natural armor +6, immunity to disease and effects from their own element (cold for air)
SLAs are in Manual of the Planes, p 189.
Half-Fey = Dex +2, Con -2, Wis +2, Cha +4, low-light vision, immune to enchantment spells and effects, butterfly wings granted fly speed twice as fast as fasted movement speed (average maneuverability)
SLAs are in Fiend Folio, p 90.
Half-Troll = Str +6, Dex +2, Con +6, Int -2, Cha -2, +4 natural armor, fast healing 5, scent, primary bite attack (1d6+Str), two secondary claw attacks (1d4+½ Str) and rend ability (2d4+1½ Str)
IMPORTANT: can be applied to dragons or outsiders and changes their type to Giant!
Half-Farspawn = Str +2, Dex +2, Con +6, Wis +4, Cha +2, +3 natural armor, two tentacle attacks (1d4+½ Str), blindsight 60 ft, immunity to poison, resistance to acid 10 and electricity 10, SR HD+10, DR 5/magic (if HD 11 or less) or 10/magic (if HD 12 or more), Change Shape ability (see LoM 153)
SLAs are in Lords of Madness, p 152.
Half-Vampire = Str +2, Dex +2, Cha +2, +2 natural armor, +2 Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently and Spot, Improved Initiative bonus feat, slam attack (1d6+Str), special abilities (see LM 107), DR 5/silver or magic, fast healing 1 if at less than half full hp, resistance cold 5 and electricity 5,

Also inherited templates:
Reptilian (SS 129): Str +2, Con +2, Wis +2, +2 natural armor, +4 Balance and Jump, scent, darkvision, two claw attacks (1d6+½ Str)

Strongheart Halfling base would be even better (bonus feat, extra size increase (for a total additional stat change of +2 Str, +2 Con), etc), which would still have the same end result of Medium Giant

I found this on an old external harddrive of mine after having a conversation about it on the GitP Facebook group page. To be honest, I always figured that with how easily you can stack templates, there should've been a BBEG at some point having thought to start a breeding program and make some good Evil use of that stackage. I decided to simply name the results Mary, Susan, Marty, Garrett and Stewart. Sex undetermined. Enter the same plane at your own risk.

Suggestions for feat choice and skill point distribution improvements are welcome. Better CR estimations as well.