PDA

View Full Version : Any rules on mechanical grafts?

danzibr
2012-12-30, 09:47 PM
I know there are a great deal of grafts, but how about mechanical ones? In particular suppose you want to replace your hand with a mechanical hand which functions just fine as a hand but also has cool stuff built into it.

AmberVael
2012-12-30, 10:14 PM
Well, there aren't a massive number of them (just five), but you can find Construct Grafts in Faiths of Eberron. They can be pretty decent in terms of effects, too.

Flickerdart
2012-12-30, 10:16 PM
You can also get half-golem components, but it messes with your head unless you pass a will save.

talondarkstar
2012-12-31, 12:00 AM
Faiths of Eberron has a list of Warforged/Mec Grafts, I think the break down is

MIGHTY ARMS: can make slam attacks at 1d4+1/2 Str. Graft Sacrifice: 2 hp.
Price: 1,000 gp.

Uncle Pine
2012-12-31, 03:07 AM
Dragon Magazine #351 has rules for "technomagical implants". They are magical objects that require a feat to be worn and kinda look like a mechanical refluff of incarnum to me, but that's my opinion. There are 15 of them, but there's a sidebar that describes how to design new implants (they are priced as normal magic items do, but they also have a 25% price reduction because you have to take a feat in order to use them).

superface12345
2012-12-31, 03:58 AM
My buddy did something like that with a technological arm that gave him (homebrewed obviously) +2 to strength, with the warforged component wand sheath for his gun. he had to make special arrangements with the DM for that though. Check with your DM first before you do anything, i already made that mistake lol :P

genericwit
2012-12-31, 07:53 PM
Pathfinder has a ludicrously awesome mithril arm that's super cheap and gives an untyped +4 bonus to strength.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-31, 07:55 PM
Pathfinder has a ludicrously awesome mithril arm that's super cheap and gives an untyped +4 bonus to strength.
Technically third party Pathfinder, which, admittedly, is rather recursive.

danzibr
2012-12-31, 09:39 PM
Dragon Magazine #351 has rules for "technomagical implants". They are magical objects that require a feat to be worn and kinda look like a mechanical refluff of incarnum to me, but that's my opinion. There are 15 of them, but there's a sidebar that describes how to design new implants (they are priced as normal magic items do, but they also have a 25% price reduction because you have to take a feat in order to use them).
This is totally what I was looking for. Granted there's not the exact graft I'm looking for (something like Gatts's arm from Berserk), but it's mighty close. Thanks!

Uncle Pine
2013-01-01, 08:51 AM
This is totally what I was looking for. Granted there's not the exact graft I'm looking for (something like Gatts's arm from Berserk), but it's mighty close. Thanks!

Guts clearly used technomagical version of strongarm bracers with a strength bonus added on top of them.

Strongarm bracers are from MIC and let you wield weapons as if you were one size larger. MIC also has a good rule of thumb if you want to add properties to magical objects (like the enhancement bonus to Str I mentioned above).

Toy Killer
2013-01-01, 03:48 PM
There is also a half machine template from one of the dungeon magazines.

Mato
2013-01-01, 04:30 PM
Flavor is mutable.

Pick a Graft, call it mechanical.

danzibr
2013-01-01, 07:47 PM
Ah we'll the issue is how to get the arm cannon. Them it'd be nice to put a repeating crossbow on it.

Toy Killer
2013-01-01, 08:31 PM
The half machine template offers a handful of nifty upgrades, I mean Special attacks, you can choose when you apply it. One of them happens to be Pnuematic Projectiles, another is grenades, and breath weapon.

Flame thrower? Grenades? Crossbow bolts? Take your pick whenever you go up 2 HD!

Darrin
2013-01-01, 08:36 PM
There are also Maug grafts in the Field Folio:

Locking Hand
Rollers ("Autobots, Roll Out!")
Shoving Arm
Spike Stones
Stone Spitter

Waddacku
2013-01-01, 09:02 PM

Something based on the mechanics in that article might be start. Sadly the actual components in it are nigh-complete trash.

animewatcha
2013-01-01, 09:13 PM
On a slightly related note, dungeon 91 has the half-machine template. 91 is 3.0. So it has shapechanger as a type ( versus x with shapechanger as subtype ). Would you guys interpret this as a shifter ( humanoid with shapechanger subtype ) not being able to do or only taking effect when not shifted or what?

Talionis
2013-01-02, 10:13 AM
I think that Warforged can get Arm Crossbows and other weapons. If you have a Warforged graft, it would be logical you could qualify for such weapons.

Mato
2013-01-02, 11:02 AM
Weapon Graft (fiend folio) lets you graft any weapon to your hand, including crossbows.