PDA

View Full Version : Match the D&D class with the famous character

danzibr
2012-12-30, 09:59 PM
This would probably be easy to do with R.A. Salvatore books and the like, but how about your favorite characters from shows and other books? I know there are some threads about statting certain characters, but that's not the aim here.

The whole reason this comes to mind is...

Warblade - Gatts/Guts from Berserk

Really, he's one of my favorite characters ever. I often makes characters in video games based off of him. Yours?

AttilaTheGeek
2012-12-30, 11:50 PM
Aragorn, the ranger, is actually more like a fighter- Legolas is the ranger of the fellowship.

Gimli is a barbarian, obviously.

Cranthis
2012-12-30, 11:54 PM
Kylar, from The Night Angel trilogy, would be a Rogue/ Assassin/ Shadowlord, assuming the alignment restrictions on assassin are removed.

I actually based my latest character off of him.

Icestorm245
2012-12-31, 12:04 AM
Aragorn, the ranger, is actually more like a fighter- Legolas is the ranger of the fellowship.

This is wrong, except for Gimli being a barbarian, maybe. Aragorn has shown several instances where he has Ranger abilities. He knows herbs that heal, food that's edible, and has tracking skills Legolas simply didn't show. Legolas is the fighter, with a focus on archery.

sambouchah
2012-12-31, 12:05 AM
Edward Elric from full metal alchemist- Fighter/wizard(transmutation)/Psychic warrior

Also Mephune from soul eater monk/sorcerer/thayan knight(variant for witches)

Cranthis
2012-12-31, 12:31 AM
This is wrong, except for Gimli being a barbarian, maybe. Aragorn has shown several instances where he has Ranger abilities. He knows herbs that heal, food that's edible, and has tracking skills Legolas simply didn't show. Legolas is the fighter, with a focus on archery.

I believe Legolas is multiclass Ranger/ Fighter.

toapat
2012-12-31, 12:37 AM
I believe Legolas is multiclass Ranger/ Fighter.

actually, the agreement is that Legolas either has Fighter levels, or is Aragorn's designated Mount/animal companion from Devouted Tracker

Aragorn is believed to be one of the following:

Paladin
Ranger
Ranger//Paladin

Gandalf is specifically "Not Wizard", unless he is using Eidetic wizard

Sayt
2012-12-31, 01:36 AM
Gandalf is a Solar that isn't allowed to use his spell likes, spells above second level, and is alter-shaped into a human form. Gandalf is a Maiar. The Balrog is a fallen Maiar.

Mandorallen from the Belgarion is a Cavalier, Barak is a Barbarian/Bear Warrior.

Bakkan
2012-12-31, 01:41 AM
Factotum - The Doctor, Indiana Jones
Swordsage (unarmed) - Ip Man
Bard - Sam (Casablanca), Mozart

Sure I'll think of many more later

GolemsVoice
2012-12-31, 01:45 AM
Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher Saga is, I'd say, Rogue/Fighter/maybe Psychic Warrior (technically, his abilities aren't psychic, even so) or a refluffed variant of the green star adept?

Icestorm245
2012-12-31, 02:46 AM
Hei, Darker Than Black: Fighter/Rogue/Sorcerer
Kenpachi Zaraki, Bleach: Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker.
Black Star, Soul Eater: Monk/Ninja
Tyki Mikk, D Gray Man: Sorcerer
Balsa, Seirei no Moribito: Fighter
Ayano Kannagi, Kaze no Stigma: Duskblade/Warmage

Norin
2012-12-31, 03:33 AM
Someone have ideas for joe abercrombie's characters? Approx level and class combo? Bayaz, yulwei, logen, cosca, etc.

Also would love to see suggestions for the characters from glen cook's the black company. Especialy goblin, one-eye, silent, raven, the lady, etc.

superface12345
2012-12-31, 04:04 AM
Master Thrower -Twisted Fate (specialty with throwing playing cards), or maybe gambit with a bit of wizard? lol

Pandiano
2012-12-31, 04:17 AM
Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher Saga is, I'd say, Rogue/Fighter/maybe Psychic Warrior (technically, his abilities aren't psychic, even so) or a refluffed variant of the green star adept?

I am under the impression Gerald would be mainly a Duskblade or Warblade adaption.

tiercel
2012-12-31, 04:18 AM
Officially, of course, Gandalf is some kind of Outsider, but if we judge Gandalf's archetype by his actual actions in The Hobbit/LotR:

Seems to know a little bit (or more) of everything
Handy enough with a sword, even if he's not a full-fledged warrior
Doesn't know/use many spells, but what spells he does use work with potency/against potent foes
Tends to prefer cleverness/wit to sheer force
Able to rally together large forces in times of great peril
Able to counter long-term spirit-crushing mental influence

The Tolkienverse, for all that it is the inspiration for much of D&D, doesn't translate directly into D&D mechanics... but judging by the bulk of Gandalf's actions rather than stated background, Gandalf is the archetype of a bard.

(Sadly, Gandalf is usually held up as a wizardly archetype -- sadly, because there are actually relatively few bardic archetype characters out there.)

Anecronwashere
2012-12-31, 04:28 AM
Star wars:
Chewbacca: barbarian
Han Solo: Diplomancer of some kind (probably Rogue)
Luke Skywalker: Psion//Fighter with Weapon Focus: Lightsaber
Boba Fett: Commoner with way-above-WBL gear
Anakin: Artificer//Psion
Palpatine: Diplomancer Psion

Star Trek:
Wesley: DM's girlfriend :smallamused:
Picard: Bard
Kirk: Bard using BoEF
Spock: Barbarian with Tactical Rage not Rage.

akahdrin
2012-12-31, 07:08 AM
Aragorn is probably fighter 4 (his years warring before he was a ranger), ranger 3, paladin 5.

Legolas is just an elf fighter, since he is roughly the same to Aragorn's fighting (as in they both didn't die when they should have), I'd have to put him around 12th level. He never showed any special skills other than his racial traits.

Gimli I'd have to say is not even close to being a barbarian as he was always talking and joking around in battle, never losing his head in the heat of the moment. Again, he'd probably be a fighter around Legolas' level for the same reasons. He didn't use a shield or anything so no dwarven defender or anything fancy. Just a straight up fighter.

Sam is a commoner =D

elvengunner69
2012-12-31, 08:14 AM
It's funny how you can look at things via a D&D lens....My son and were watching that show Revolution and were assigning D&D roles to the characters...

Miles Matheson - Rogue/Fighter
Charlie Matheson - Ranger
Nora Clayton - Rogue
Aaron Pittman - Wizard (used to be the computer guy)

------------

Note on Gimli -- pure fighter...getting mad at Orcs doesn't mean he's a Barbarian...I see no rage in the D&D sense.

GolemsVoice
2012-12-31, 08:39 AM
I am under the impression Gerald would be mainly a Duskblade or Warblade adaption.

Ah, I've never played these classes so I wouldn't know, sadly.

Fable Wright
2012-12-31, 09:23 AM
The Tolkienverse, for all that it is the inspiration for much of D&D, doesn't translate directly into D&D mechanics... but judging by the bulk of Gandalf's actions rather than stated background, Gandalf is the archetype of a bard.

(Sadly, Gandalf is usually held up as a wizardly archetype -- sadly, because there are actually relatively few bardic archetype characters out there.)
No, Gandalf's pretty obviously a Factotum with a lot of Knowledge skills. Knows everything (ranks + boosts), gets Int to saves, uses a lot of cunning, knows a few well-chosen spells, can use Int to attack rolls and has a decent combat chassis, and is good with Diplomacy and Bluff.

It's funny how you can look at things via a D&D lens....My son and were watching that show Revolution and were assigning D&D roles to the characters...

Miles Matheson - Rogue/Fighter
Charlie Matheson - Ranger
Nora Clayton - Rogue
Aaron Pittman - Wizard (used to be the computer guy)

Honestly, they mostly seem to be NPCs classes; most of their abilities come from skills and BAB, with no class features. Aaron's a Commoner, Nora is an Expert, Charlie is a low-level Rogue with bad skill assignment, and Miles is a Warrior X/Wildshape Ranger 3 (bonus movement speed, right skills, no supernatural stuff, no reason to use a lot of two-handed fighting).

Captain America is a Fighter/Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade focused on Shield Bashing.
Iron Man is a Warlock.

Othar Trygvassen, Gentleman Adventurer is probably a Monk 2/Factotum 3/Arcane Stunt Swashbuckler 3/Horizon Walker 7 (Shifting and Cavern planes) with Track and a very good Survival skill. Int to everything, survives falling out of airships (Arcane Stunt for Feather Fall + D.Door), can find you no matter where you go (and even get ahead of you), good unarmed fighting skills, great saves, and so on.

Averis Vol
2012-12-31, 09:25 AM
Been playing some video games lately, lets see if I have this correct:

Corvo Attano: psychic warrior 8. He could be a more traditional gish, but I personally can't advocate that seeing as all his powers run off adrenaline (which strikes me as something purely mental)

Conner Kenway: Ranger 2/ Swashbuckler 3. I think this because he displays a very lithe and agile way of fighting that fits well with swashbuckler, along with his signature weapon set being the tomahawk and dagger (so the two weapon fighting combat style). I would like to put justicar in there but I think that level advancement would overplay Conner's abilities greatly.

elvengunner69
2012-12-31, 10:02 AM
No, Gandalf's pretty obviously a Factotum with a lot of Knowledge skills. Knows everything (ranks + boosts), gets Int to saves, uses a lot of cunning, knows a few well-chosen spells, can use Int to attack rolls and has a decent combat chassis, and is good with Diplomacy and Bluff.

Honestly, they mostly seem to be NPCs classes; most of their abilities come from skills and BAB, with no class features. Aaron's a Commoner, Nora is an Expert, Charlie is a low-level Rogue with bad skill assignment, and Miles is a Warrior X/Wildshape Ranger 3 (bonus movement speed, right skills, no supernatural stuff, no reason to use a lot of two-handed fighting).

I think once they find some 'power' then Aaron's wizard skills will come -- or maybe an artificer of some kind? Nora has Rogue like abilities sneak/bluff and maybe even assassin (though she isn't evil). I could understand an argument for Miles being a Warrior/Ranger with maybe something that boosts leadership (Marshall?) -- I still think he has some Rogue ranks as he is decent in sneaking but then again so are Rangers.

Charlie is definitely Ranger - they have shown her tracking abilities a couple of times so she at least has some feats that are Rangery. Maybe even a non-spell casting Druid?

Her Step-Mom (who died a few episodes in) was probably the Cleric...she was a former nurse or something and kind of the healer before she got killed.

Fable Wright
2012-12-31, 10:29 AM
I think once they find some 'power' then Aaron's wizard skills will come -- or maybe an artificer of some kind? Nora has Rogue like abilities sneak/bluff and maybe even assassin (though she isn't evil). I could understand an argument for Miles being a Warrior/Ranger with maybe something that boosts leadership (Marshall?) -- I still think he has some Rogue ranks as he is decent in sneaking but then again so are Rangers.

Charlie is definitely Ranger - they have shown her tracking abilities a couple of times so she at least has some feats that are Rangery. Maybe even a non-spell casting Druid?

Her Step-Mom (who died a few episodes in) was probably the Cleric...she was a former nurse or something and kind of the healer before she got killed.
I can buy Charlie being a Ranger, or at least a few levels of it and some Commoner or Expert. She does have some skill with her crossbow. Druid is right out, due to lack of animal companions and ways with woodland creatures. Expert Nora would still have access to sneaking and bluffing; she can pick any 10 skills to be class skills, and she hasn't shown any ability to Sneak Attack or use similar Rogue skills, which is why I'm opposed to Rogue. Maggie didn't use instantaneous healing, leading me to believe that she had levels in Commoner and a single Bard level, getting Healing Hymn. She would patch up wounds, which would disappear by the next day or so. Combined with a solid heal check, that would be some potent non-instantaneous healing, which explains why she can't save herself. I could see Miles having a one-level dip in Dragon Shaman (mostly because I don't have Miniatures Handbook), getting Power, Presence, and Senses as the boost. Aaron, I think, is just a Commoner- few skills, and most of them were tied up in Craft: Computer things. There isn't a good equivalent to Infusions in the setting, so I think Commoner focused on Craft skills with Craft Device (Legacy of Blood) (it lets you make nonmagical magic items as long as you have a power source) would fit him better than Artificer.

Darrin
2012-12-31, 10:42 AM
Barbarian: Fafhrd (Fritz Leiber). This is really obvious in the 1st Edition Unearthed Arcana version with the "hatred of magic" thing, but in 3rd Ed. it got merged with the "Battlerager" idea most likely inspired by Thibbledorf Pwent (R.A. Salvatore).

Bard: Taliesin. Actually, there's a bunch of Irish and Celtic legends about bards that can sing and cast spells. 1st. Ed. bard was one of the original "Prestige Classes", and really, really difficult to qualify for: fighter 5-7/thief 5-9, then you became a druid on steroids. 2nd Ed. made them a subclass of Rogues, and somewhat "codified" what became the Bardic Music abilities in 3rd.

Cleric: Saint Cuthbert. Or maybe Knights Templar, Knights Hospitalier, Teutonic Knights. Originally conceived in the White Box edition of D&D as the original "hybrid" class, mixing spellcasting with fighting. I'm not entirely sure how it wound up with the "Healbot" duties, but Gygax appears to have borrowed some of the Christian mythos by including Saint Cuthbert into his Greyhawk pantheon (although the original inspiration appears to have been for humorous reasons).

Druid: Probably Merlin. Drawn mostly from pre-celtic neolithic religions, Gygax let them wield scimitars because this was the closest weapon in the existing rules that resembled a sickle (although why Gygax didn't just add "sickle, curved, wooden handle" to the rules is beyond me).

Fighter: Conan (Robert Howard), John Carter (Edgar Rice Burroughs), Gimli, Boromir (Tolkien). There are other influences, but these are the most obvious in 1st edition.

Monk: David Carradine, Bruce Lee. More likely, the 1st Ed. monk was influenced by some of the Shaw Bros. films that were crossing the pond in the 70's before the "Ninja Craze" took off in the 80's.

Paladin: Galahad, Percival, Lancelot, which were ripped off from Charlemagne's Paladins (Song of Roland), etc. Joan of Arc and all the various knights/templars from the Crusades can be thrown in there, but the Arthurian knights associated with the Grail Quest are probably the most obvious influence.

Ranger: Aragorn (Tolkien). Ara's a bit of a "Mary Sue" character, so he's good at pretty much everything, which is where the tracking and survival skills come from. Ara never did any TWF and not much archery, so the archery stuff is probably from Robin Hood. I'm not entirely sure where the TWF thing came from, but apparently it started with a rules quirk from 1st Ed. Unearthed Arcana that allowed drow to wield a secondary weapon without penalty. 2nd Ed. introduced TWF as one of four different fighting styles, and TWF became sort of the "default" for rangers, most likely as a design decision to help them stand out a bit from fighters.

Rogue: Bilbo Baggins (Tolkien), Grey Mouser (Fritz Leiber), Conan (Robert Howard). Standard Sword-and-Sorcery formula is Big Dumb Fighter partners up with Small Quick Thief.

Sorcerer: Kind of hard to nail down, but sort of an attempt to step away from Vancian casting. More modern post-Tolkien fantasy has a wide variety of magic systems, many of which do not involve memorizing spells or mucking around with gestures/spell components. Not sure I could nail this down to a single character, but you could possibly point a finger for "innate spellcasting" at Piers Anthony as well as a dozen other authors.

Wizard: Turjan of Miir/Cugel the Clever/Rhialto the Marvellous (Jack Vance), Gandalf (Tolkien), Merlin (Roger Zelazny). I find it odd that out of all the different magic systems and source materials he could have used, Gygax went with Vancian casting... although from an RPG standpoint, it's probably so pervasive in D&D because it works so well from a game-balance standpoint: by chunking up magic into such finite resources, the wizard is much more balanced against the other classes.

Warlock: Tim the Enchanter (Monty Python). Blowing stuff up at will. I find it puzzling it took so long for the idea of at-will invocations to catch on (very late into 3rd).

about50heavies
2012-12-31, 10:43 AM
Kenpachi from bleach fighter/barabarian

Cranthis
2012-12-31, 10:58 AM
One of the most obvious. Ezio, Assass- Oops, I mean Avenger.

toapat
2012-12-31, 12:02 PM
Star wars:

CHewbaka: Barbarian
Han Solo: Swashbuckler
Luke/Anakin: Pure classed Soulknife
Boba Fett: Tallfellow halfling Rogue
Palapatine: Psion

One of the most obvious. Ezio, Assass- Oops, I mean Avenger.

Ezio is playing in a game where he gets to ignore PRC requirements and has half and half of Avenger+Assassin. He cant actually use either because he is CG

Cranthis
2012-12-31, 12:06 PM
Ezio is playing in a game where he gets to ignore PRC requirements and has half and half of Avenger+Assassin. He cant actually use either because he is CG

I am agreeable with this.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-31, 12:37 PM
Ironman: Warforged Warlock 6
Tony Stark-Human Artificer
:smallbiggrin:

chrisgray86
2012-12-31, 01:41 PM
Kylar, from The Night Angel trilogy, would be a Rogue/ Assassin/ Shadowlord, assuming the alignment restrictions on assassin are removed.

Cranthis that is freeken awesome......

Mine would be Harry dresden Sorcerer/ Pyromancer

genericwit
2012-12-31, 07:22 PM
Someone have ideas for joe abercrombie's characters? Approx level and class combo? Bayaz, yulwei, logen, cosca, etc.

Also would love to see suggestions for the characters from glen cook's the black company. Especialy goblin, one-eye, silent, raven, the lady, etc.

Logen is obviously a high level Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker with a level or two in spirit shaman or something (speaking to spirits); Dogman's a Ranger, Bayaz is probably an epic sorcerer (limited amount of spells, focusing on enchantment/evocation), Yulwei is an epic sorcerer (focusing on Abjuration/Transmutation/Divination), Cosca's a high level fighter/Rogue/Diplomonster--high Int/Cha/Dex/startlingly low Wis, Shivers is a mid-high level fighter, Jezal is a Swashbuckler, Glokta is a high level marshal/fighter/expert, Ferro is a fiendish ranger.

Norin
2013-01-01, 02:59 PM
Logen is obviously a high level Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker with a level or two in spirit shaman or something (speaking to spirits); Dogman's a Ranger, Bayaz is probably an epic sorcerer (limited amount of spells, focusing on enchantment/evocation), Yulwei is an epic sorcerer (focusing on Abjuration/Transmutation/Divination), Cosca's a high level fighter/Rogue/Diplomonster--high Int/Cha/Dex/startlingly low Wis, Shivers is a mid-high level fighter, Jezal is a Swashbuckler, Glokta is a high level marshal/fighter/expert, Ferro is a fiendish ranger.

Cool!

How about Ishri that evil wench?
Monza the ever so vengeful?
And one of my favourites, Shenkt the unstappable killer?

---

Still want to see suggestions for the Black Company.

The wizards\sorcerers (Goblin, One-Eye, Silent) seems to be a bit of a shadow-weave sort of illusionist themed deal.

DMVerdandi
2013-01-01, 04:02 PM
Zach Fair (Final Fantasy 7 collection)

Warblade 20//Psionic Artificer 20
Magic in FF7 actually can't be preformed without the use of materia, which can be refluffed as dorjes. It however can be manufactured through using crystalized mako.
Potion crafting, making weapons and armor, with this build, Zach could do it all
As well as kicking major tail with the warblade levels.

One could really solo, crisis core style with this.

Artillery
2013-01-01, 04:28 PM
I'm pretty sure Domon Kasshu from G Gundam would be an Unarmed Swordsage. Does anyone know of a maneuver to punt sky-scrapers?
He would be able to crush heads with flaming hands and jump like crazy.

Tome of Battle really is the the book of anime character classes.

Razgriez
2013-01-01, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty sure Domon Kasshu from G Gundam would be an Unarmed Swordsage. Does anyone know of a maneuver to punt sky-scrapers?
He would be able to crush heads with flaming hands and jump like crazy.

Tome of Battle really is the the book of anime character classes.

Pretty sure it's mentioned to be exactly that in the author's notes at the beginning of the book :smallbiggrin: . As for Domon, aside from the fact that he'd have his own custom Maneuver: Sekiha Tenkyoken and variations, it's likely also a Setting Sun Maneuver he used against that building (He's not kicking the building, he and Master Asia, were THROWING it with their feet!).

The Hulk: Goliath Barbarian/Dungeon Crasher Fighter/Warblade (Unarmed Strike) focused in Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, and Tiger Claw Disciplines.

Raiden (Metal Gear Solid 4/Revengence/PS All-Stars Battle Royale): Warforged Swordsage.

Scarlet-Devil
2013-01-01, 06:38 PM

After beating the first game I made a character sort've modeled after after a Witcher. She was a Half-Styx Dragon Human Hexblade (increased strength and constitution, immunity to poison and disease, full bab, light armor) who was built around versatility and being prepared for any enemy. Used a holy longsword in both hands, carried all kinds of potions, poisons, and other things like silversheen, and switched between power-attacking, usually for individual enemies, and using combat expertise for multiple enemies; I was building towards whirlwind attack. If I were to make a Witcher-themed character today I'd probably do it a bit differently, hopefully with Pathfinder content; maybe something like a Ranger/Alchemist.

For (Golden Age) Griffith, also from Berserk, I think the best match is a Pathfinder Fighter/Duelist, with a good number of mounted combat feats, a very solid dexterity score, good intelligence and charisma, and possibly the Dervish Dance feat, which lets you use dexterity for attack and damage roles in place of strength when wielding a scimitar one-handed (scimitar is the best model for a single-edged sabre).

navar100
2013-01-01, 06:49 PM
Kermit - bard
Miss Piggy - monk/barbarian
Fozzie - rogue
Rolf - bard
Animal - barbarian
Sam The Eagle - paladin
Gonzo - artificer
Dr. Bunsen Honeydew - wizard
Crazy Harry - pathfinder alchemist

J-H
2013-01-01, 09:01 PM
Ranger: Aragorn (Tolkien). Ara's a bit of a "Mary Sue" character, so he's good at pretty much everything, which is where the tracking and survival skills come from. Ara never did any TWF and not much archery, so the archery stuff is probably from Robin Hood. I'm not entirely sure where the TWF thing came from, but apparently it started with a rules quirk from 1st Ed. Unearthed Arcana that allowed drow to wield a secondary weapon without penalty. 2nd Ed. introduced TWF as one of four different fighting styles, and TWF became sort of the "default" for rangers, most likely as a design decision to help them stand out a bit from fighters.

Weathertop- torch + sword TWF against a group of Nazgul.

TuggyNE
2013-01-01, 10:49 PM
Weathertop- torch + sword TWF against a group of Nazgul.

But did he gain extra attacks from that, or just alternate? :smalltongue:

navar100
2013-01-01, 11:04 PM
Harry Potter - Wizard
Hermione Granger - Wizard
Ron Weasley - Wizard
Albus Dumbledore - Wizard
Minerva McGonagall - Wizard
Tom Marvolo Riddle - Wizard Lich

Crake
2013-01-01, 11:15 PM
Link from Legend of Zelda is a Paladin with the whirlwind attack feat chain, and the master sword is a Holy Avenger.

toapat
2013-01-02, 12:05 AM
Link from Legend of Zelda is a Paladin with the whirlwind attack feat chain, and the master sword is a Holy Avenger.

actually, he is a Warblade//Fighter, Link is extremely competent with a bow, while Paladins are practically incompetent with bows or incompetent with swords.

Eldest
2013-01-02, 12:49 AM
actually, he is a Warblade//Fighter, Link is extremely competent with a bow, while Paladins are practically incompetent with bows or incompetent with swords.

Why is he gestalt? I'd think just Warblade works.

toapat
2013-01-02, 01:17 AM
Why is he gestalt? I'd think just Warblade works.

he needs the Feat infusion for tripping, archery, SnB, extra maneuvers. hes probably the closest thing outside of DnD to having 20 levels that is measurable

Cambrian
2013-01-02, 02:13 AM
Working from pathfinder as I'm less familiar with later 3.5 classes...

Captain Carrot - LG Fighter (LG as normally presented) Has the Racial Heritage (Dwarf) Feat

Commander Vimes - LG Fighter (LG done right) perhaps a level of aristocrat

Corporal Nobby Nobs - CN/CE Rogue (He's not exactly evil, but is damn close...)

Sergeant Fred Colon - LN/N Commoner

Havelock Vetinari - N Assassin/Bard with oratory performance. (his assassin abilities may not work, or perhaps they do and the disc-world allows non-evil assassins given the story)

Moist Von Lipwig - CG Bard with oratory/act performance

Nanny Ogg - CG Witch (perhaps a dip into bard?)

Granny Weatherwax - LG/LN Witch (her alignment is so hard to determine...) with a very high wisdom

Rincewind - N Commoner, unlike the other wizards (which he is one technically) he has a decent wisdom and an extremely high luck bonus.

Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully - CG Wizard (maybe a ranger dip given his outdoorsmanship and love of the cross bow) very low wisdom as most of the wizards have.

The Librarian - NG Wizard/Barbarian

Susan Sto Helit - NG Sorcerer

Lu-Tze - CG Monk (I know, monk's can't be non-lawful, but discworld)...

Cohen - CN Barbarian through and through

Fable Wright
2013-01-02, 02:22 AM
Rincewind is a Fortune's Friend, and has the custom flaw that he can't learn or cast spells. As a result, the lost caster levels from the class mean nothing to him, and he is incredibly lucky. He also has Improved Familiar: The Luggage. He also took a level in Cleric of Favored Soul (of the Lady) for the Luck domain...

Cambrian
2013-01-02, 02:40 AM
Rincewind is a Fortune's Friend, and has the custom flaw that he can't learn or cast spells. As a result, the lost caster levels from the class mean nothing to him, and he is incredibly lucky. He also has Improved Familiar: The Luggage. He also took a level in Cleric of Favored Soul (of the Lady) for the Luck domain...I suppose he could have an int of 9, so he can't cast spells-- not even cantrips...

Uhtred
2013-01-02, 02:47 AM
Harry Potter - Wizard
Hermione Granger - Wizard
Ron Weasley - Wizard
Albus Dumbledore - Wizard
Minerva McGonagall - Wizard
Tom Marvolo Riddle - Wizard Lich

There's a pretty strong argument among my circle of friends that the Harry Potter "Wizards" are actually Sorcerers, since their magic is inherent and instinctual and they have no need to prepare their spells in the morning. That the Squibs in the Potterverse are actually closer to Wizard since they need a period of intense study (the Kwikspell Course) to use magic even minimally. True, the Potter Wizards have to study to learn spells but that may just be the manifestation of the Sorcerer "Spells Known" table as they work to harness their natural abilities in a reliable way that at least sort of makes sense.

Talderas
2013-01-02, 11:24 AM
Farscape Edition
John Crighton: Bard
Aeryn Sun: Fighter
D'Argo: Barbarian/Frenzied Berserker
Zhaan: Cleric
Rygel: Rogue
Chiana: Rogue
Sikozu: Rogue/Spymaster
Jool: Expert
Stark: Alienist (I mean seriously, HTF do you class Stark?)
Crais: Bloodhound
Scorpius: Shadowbane Inquisitor

J-H
2013-01-02, 12:25 PM
Babylon 5:

Marcus Cole: Ranger/Paladin multiclass (possibly Paladin of Freedom)
Lennier: Monk
Garibaldi: Rogue, possibly with a few levels of Spymaster and Fighter
Ivanova: Divine Rank 0

genericwit
2013-01-02, 02:32 PM

Link is a Warblade/Factotum/Eternal Blade (there's an awesome "hero of time" build out there, somewhere).

Skill with a blade, a few spells, tons of skills for solving puzzles...

sambouchah
2013-01-02, 02:46 PM
Star wars:

Star Trek:
Wesley: DM's girlfriend :smallamused:
Picard: Bard
Kirk: Bard using BoEF
Spock: Barbarian with Tactical Rage not Rage.

DM's girlfriendxD lawl

sambouchah
2013-01-02, 02:48 PM
Rincewind is a Fortune's Friend, and has the custom flaw that he can't learn or cast spells. As a result, the lost caster levels from the class mean nothing to him, and he is incredibly lucky. He also has Improved Familiar: The Luggage. He also took a level in Cleric of Favored Soul (of the Lady) for the Luck domain...

Oh dear Cthulhu a 'colour of magick' reference! how positively wonderful!

Cranthis
2013-01-02, 02:54 PM
Oh dear Cthulhu a 'colour of magick' reference! how positively wonderful!

The Patrician is a Lawful Neutral Rogue/Assassin// Politician Homebrew class

Amphetryon
2013-01-02, 03:05 PM
I suppose he could have an int of 9, so he can't cast spells-- not even cantrips...

He did once cast the equivalent of Knock, as I recall.

Cambrian
2013-01-02, 04:16 PM
The Patrician is a Lawful Neutral Rogue/Assassin// Politician Homebrew classI can't see the patrician being lawful... He does whatever works, does not conform to cultural expectations, and is a tyrant above the laws. He might be orderly and organizes the chaos of Ankh-Morpork but he does it often using carefully directed chaos.

Agrippa
2013-01-02, 04:38 PM
The Venture Brothers

Brock Samson: Unarmed warblade//barbarian/rogue/marshal with Setting Sun instead of Diamond Mind.
Dr. Henry Killinger: Unarmed swordsage//artificer/factotum.
"Dr." Thadeus "Rusty" Venture: Low level expert/artificer.
Hank and Dean Venture: Not worth mentioning.
The Monarch: Marshal with a Charisma of 6.
Doctor Girlfriend/Doctor Mrs. The Monarch: Artificer (she designed the Monarch's cocoon lair)//some hombrew martial adept class.
The Phantom Limb: Unarmed warblade//artificer.
Molotov Cocktease: Swordsage
David Bowie: Sorcerer or reflavored psion with superior unarmed strike.
Doctor Byron Orpheus: Reflavored psion or Pathfinder witch.
The Alchemist: Wizard//alchemist.
Jefferson Twilight: Ranger/warblade.
Bill Quizby and Pete White: Artificer
The late Dr. Jonas Venture: Artificer//factotum.

Grim Reader
2013-01-03, 12:28 PM
He did once cast the equivalent of Knock, as I recall.

It was more of a Mage Hand or Presdigitation to move a tumbler, as I remember. Anyway, back on the old WoTC forums, we sort of pegged him as...

The Epic Commoner.

Rincewinds way of dealing with challenges is to run away from them, and his DM seems to award experience for escaping an encounter alive. Over the course of the books, he started out running away from thugs and footpads, went on to Trolls and Dragons. Later, Epic Sourcerers, Dungeon Dimension Creatures, and twoards the end of his career, the birth and death of worlds.

To stat him, I'd say Magical Training background feat, a language feat, lots of points in languages. And 21+ levels of commoner.

nedz
2013-01-03, 01:43 PM
Legolas is a Scout, though in the movie version he dipped Thief Acrobat.

Glorfindal is a Fighter/Spirit Shaman — Chastise Spirits to make the wraiths retreat, and then the spell thing with the river. SS seems to fit most of Tolkein's high elves quite well.

Gandalf is the DM's sugar daddy.

toapat
2013-01-03, 04:55 PM
I can't see the patrician being lawful... He does whatever works, does not conform to cultural expectations, and is a tyrant above the laws. He might be orderly and organizes the chaos of Ankh-Morpork but he does it often using carefully directed chaos.

He is using a more sensible definition of Lawful, in which case, yes, he is Lawful Neutral, but Ventinari is more likely a combination of Assassin 10/Avenger 10//Expert 20, with double level up bonuses to both Int and Cha

Dr.Epic
2013-01-03, 04:57 PM

How? He's a melee class for sure, but how is he a barbarian as opposed to just a fighter? Has he ever shown traits of a rage?

toapat
2013-01-03, 04:59 PM
How? He's a melee class for sure, but how is he a barbarian as opposed to just a fighter? Has he ever shown traits of a rage?

Do dwarves in the LotRverse even have a range of emotion?

Fable Wright
2013-01-03, 05:49 PM
Do dwarves in the LotRverse even have a range of emotion?

Gimli in Helm's Deep vs. Gimli finding the tomb of Balin vs. Gimli on the Path of the Dead indicates a yes.

Icewraith
2013-01-03, 08:22 PM
The Patrician is as Lawful as they come. No matter how many class levels he actually has, he has a sky-high int and maximum ranks in profession (Asmodeus).

razorback
2013-01-04, 12:46 AM
Gimli in Helm's Deep vs. Gimli finding the tomb of Balin vs. Gimli on the Path of the Dead indicates a yes.
Especially Gimli when he cries when they leave Lothlorien (Sp) and when they meet Eomer and he speaks ill of Galadriel.

shaikujin
2013-01-04, 07:58 AM
Have always had a couple of ideas for Naruto characters:

Gara = Sandshaper PRC (from Sandstorm) carrying at least 20 pounds of additional Shapesand shaped into a giant gourd.

Rock Lee = Incarnate (Magic of Incarnum) with levels of Drunken master.

Kiba = Druid + Animal Lord, or maybe Beastmaster with a dog as an animal companion

Naruto = Empty vessel with levels in Shadowcraft Mage to cast tons of clones and Simulacrums

Sakura = Combat Medic

But while doing a search, I found that this has been done before -

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-122580.html

There's even a Naruto D20!

Yora
2013-01-04, 08:01 AM
Gandalf is the DM's sugar daddy.
Gandalf is a Solar with Polymorph and Object into a human.

Sauron is a LE fallen Solar.

shaikujin
2013-01-04, 08:09 AM
Working from pathfinder as I'm less familiar with later 3.5 classes...

Captain Carrot - LG Fighter (LG as normally presented) Has the Racial Heritage (Dwarf) Feat

Commander Vimes - LG Fighter (LG done right) perhaps a level of aristocrat

Corporal Nobby Nobs - CN/CE Rogue (He's not exactly evil, but is damn close...)

Sergeant Fred Colon - LN/N Commoner

Havelock Vetinari - N Assassin/Bard with oratory performance. (his assassin abilities may not work, or perhaps they do and the disc-world allows non-evil assassins given the story)

Moist Von Lipwig - CG Bard with oratory/act performance

Nanny Ogg - CG Witch (perhaps a dip into bard?)

Granny Weatherwax - LG/LN Witch (her alignment is so hard to determine...) with a very high wisdom

Rincewind - N Commoner, unlike the other wizards (which he is one technically) he has a decent wisdom and an extremely high luck bonus.

Archchancellor Mustrum Ridcully - CG Wizard (maybe a ranger dip given his outdoorsmanship and love of the cross bow) very low wisdom as most of the wizards have.

The Librarian - NG Wizard/Barbarian

Susan Sto Helit - NG Sorcerer

Lu-Tze - CG Monk (I know, monk's can't be non-lawful, but discworld)...

Cohen - CN Barbarian through and through

For race, the Librarian is definitely an anthropomorphic Ape :D

Twoflower = multiclassed Bard (for recounting his stories to his countrymen)/Artificer (for all the gadgets!) and has an Effigy Construct of a Mimic

Rogue Shadows
2013-01-04, 09:36 AM
Vetinari

But the Patrician self-identifies as evil...he's a great example of Lawful Evil done right.

"Let me give you some advice, Captain. It may help you to make sense of the world. I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
— Lord Vetinari, Guards! Guards!

----------------------------

Conan the Barbarian: Fighter or Fighter/Rogue, though with heavy emphasis on Fighter. For all that he's seen as the archetypal barbarian, in the original stories he's a canny, cunning warrior who frequently outthinks or outmaneuvers his foes, and though he does fight while angry, that's not the same thing as being in a barbarian rage. His levels in rogue are to represent that, apart from a warrior, the thing he is most often is a thief.

Alonso Quijano (Don Quixote): Aristocrat, though I like to imagine that at the very end of his life, he managed to gain a level of Paladin.

---------------------------
And now: Les Miserables.

Jean Valjean: Straight Rogue and the Most Triumphant Example of Chaotic Good. Even later in life he's still a Rogue, he just puts those skill points to good use.

Inspector Javert: Paladin, and as good an example of a Paladin acting Lawful Stupid as any. Eventually, he falls.

The Bishop of Digne: Cleric, of course

Fantine: Commoner, though when she appears at the end to thank Valjean for raising Cosette, it's as a petitioner of God.

Cosette: Commoner, maybe Aristocrat, but not any more than 1st level regardless.

Enjolras, Marius, and the rest of the Friends of the ABC: Marius is probably a Swashbuckler, Enjolras is probably a Barbarian. Most of the rest of the Friends of the ABC are just warriors, however. Sorry, Grantaire, but drinking =/= class levels that matter.

M. and Mme. Thénardier and their gang: Rogues, of course, for the Thénardiers. Most of the rest of their gang are Commoners or Experts, however, not Rogues.

Éponine: A Rogue, as she was raised to be one by her parents.

Gavroche: Also a Rogue, and ironically probably a higher-leveled one than his parents or sister (Éponine and the Thénardiers). Doesn't help him in the end, though.

-------------------------
And now, my thoughts on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Princess Celestia: Cleric. Also, has a Divine Rank of 5
But Rogue Shadows, Celestia taught Twilight magic, and Twilight is undoubtedly an arcane caster, not a divine caster! Explain!

Well, it's pretty simple, really. My write-up for her has her as an Outsider 20/Cleric 20 and she has something like a +60 bonus to each of Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft. She can take 10 and answer any question you have about any kind of magic

Princess Luna: Sorcerer. Divine Rank of 3, except when hopped up on dark magic and transformed into Nightmare Moon, where she sports a Divine Rank of 5.

Princess Cadance: Bard. Divine rank of 1

Discord: Outsider/Dragon because the DM doesn't care that you can't technically do that. Divine Rank of 20.

Queen Chrysalis: Bard. Divine Rank of 0.

King Sombra: Given his love of crystals, probably some flavor of Psion.

Twilight Sparkle: Either a Transmuter or a Conjurer.

Applejack: Ranger.

Rainbow Dash: Barbarian or Fighter, not sure which.

Pinkie Pie: Bard

Rarity: Rogue

Fluttershy: Druid

Granny Smith: Druid and very, very, very old.

Trixie Lulamoon: Illusionist. The Alicorn Amulet temporarily gave her a huge number of spell-like abilities and a Divine Rank of 0.

Gilda: Barbarian/Rogue

Lightning Dust: Fighter

Spitfire & the other Wolderbolts: Fighters all

Fancy Pants, Blueblood, etc: Aristocrats all

----------------------

My cat!

Puck: Paladin. No, I'm not kidding, there is no way that my cat Puck is not Lawful Good, in defiance of cats typically being Chaotic Neutral or some flavor of Evil.
A funny thing I've noticed is that people who claim that cat's aren't evil frequently like cats but do not own one. I've never met an actual cat owner who claims cats in general, if not any one specific cat, are anything other than some flavor of Evil

Silverbit
2013-01-04, 11:09 AM
LOTR: (or at least my interpretation, probably wrong)
Aragon: Low level ranger/very high level scout (no animal companion or spell casting)
Gimli: Possibly Warblade, possibly Fighter.
Legolas: Scout, or very low level ranger.
Boromir: Unoptimized fighter.
Hobbits except Frodo+Bilbo: Commoners, with Merry and Pippin gaining fighter levels and Sam gaining Bodyguard levels. Possibly Paladin as well
Frodo: Aristocrat/commoner
Bilbo: Commoner, with rogue levels.
Borderlands 2
Commando: Optimised fighter, one level of Druid for animal companion, AKA Turret.
Siren: Psion.
Assassin: Ranger/Rogue/Assassin.
Gunzerker: Whirling Frenzy Barbarian.
Mechomancer: Artificer/Druid or PF Summoner.

toapat
2013-01-04, 11:36 AM
Aragon: Low level ranger/very high level scout (no animal companion or spell casting)
Gimli: Possibly Warblade, possibly Fighter.
Legolas: Scout, or very low level ranger.
Boromir: Unoptimized fighter.
Hobbits except Frodo+Bilbo: Commoners, with Merry and Pippin gaining fighter levels and Sam gaining Bodyguard levels. Possibly Paladin as well
Frodo: Aristocrat/commoner
Bilbo: Commoner, with rogue levels.

Legolas and Aragorn do not have scout levels. they would have never stood still or lasted that long during the battle of Helms deep if they did.

the Halflings are all running high-saves classes, with whatever is the primary mental stat for that class too low to be used with class features other then Frodo, who is pure paladin but has no idea how to use any of his class features.

ForgottenDrow
2014-08-01, 09:33 PM
Drizzt Do'Urden: Ranger.... Definitely ranger...
CattiBrie: Fighter
Regis: Thief
Wulfgar: Fighter
Bruneor: Warlord

Svata
2014-08-01, 10:52 PM
Harry Dresden: CG Sorcerer with ACF to swap familiar for Animal Companion as a druid three levels lower (Too much utility for Warmage, but blasty as all hell, and doesn't need to prepare spells) Maybe a level of something gishy.
Michael Carpenter: LG Paladin (He weilds friggin Excalibur and is descended from Charlemagne. You couldn't get more Paladin if you tried.)
Molly Carpenter: CG Beguiler (No spell prep, talent for illusions and mind magic)
Karrin Murphy: LG Commoner/Survivor (Unless someone has something better)
Kinkaid: CN(probably) Gunslinger(maybe?)
Ivy: TN Sorcerer/Loremaster (Unsure of Sorc, but definitely Loremaster)
Injun Joe: Druid
Ebenezar McCoy: Sorcerer/Archmage

QuickLyRaiNbow
2014-08-01, 10:59 PM
Kerrigan is a refluffed, highly templated Blackguard. Zeratul is a Telfammar Shadowlord.

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 10:59 PM
Harry Dresden: CG Sorcerer with ACF to swap familiar for Animal Companion as a druid three levels lower (Too much utility for Warmage, but blasty as all hell, and doesn't need to prepare spells) Maybe a level of something gishy.

Really? I would actually argue that he managed to split his arcane bonds. Staff, rings, blasting rod, etc.

Though I am still on book 5, so I might be missing something.

Svata
2014-08-01, 11:07 PM
The AC comes in later. Comes in in book 6, becomes AC in 7, IIRC.

Yep, definitely appears in book 6, but could be argued to not be AC until 8.

Vhaidara
2014-08-01, 11:12 PM
Okay. I was concerned that I was going to have to remind you that Dresdin is Mister's familiar.

Svata
2014-08-01, 11:29 PM
Nah. He's Mister's Permanancy-ed Unseen Servant.

Chronos
2014-08-02, 09:04 AM
My take on Discworld:

Rincewind: Expert/Fortune's Friend. He does actually have a fair number of skills, including plenty of Knowledge (Arcana). In fact, he has all the traits of a wizard except for the actual spellcasting.

The Witches: I'm inclined towards Beguiler, what with all the headology. But Granny Weatherwax has somehow changed her casting stat to Wis and Nanny Ogg to Cha. All of them are pretty textbook CG, except for Tiffany who's probably NG.

Vimes: LG urban ranger.

Carrot: LG marshal/stoneblessed/paladin. He's literally the reason the stoneblessed class was created.

Nobby: CN goblin rogue. I don't think there's much dispute on this one.

Colon: TN warrior. Guys like Colon are the reason NPC classes exist, but he does actually have a fair bit of skill with weapons-- He's the best archer in the Guard.

Angua: Fighter. She doesn't do much interesting beyond what she gets from her race.

Detritus: Fighter, ditto. Though he might also have some War Hulk levels (he's quite strong even for a troll).

Vetinari: LN rogue/avenger.

Ridcully: Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order. He prefers his crossbow to spells, and is big on fresh air and exercise.

The Librarian: Probably the best fit is awakened ape. Expert, I guess? He never actually casts spells.

Stibbons: Probably the only actual wizard of the lot of them.

Cohen the Barbarian: Swordsage. Oh, he's an optimized melee character, so he probably has a bunch of dips, maybe even a level of actual barbarian... but he's mostly swordsage. The descriptions of how he always manages to just happen to be someplace other than where a blow is landing are a perfect depiction of Wis to AC, and explains how he's still competent even at venerable age.

A few others:

Sherlock Holmes: LG rogue. He doesn't match the stereotype, of course, but everything he does can be perfectly modeled by rogue. All of his skills are rogue class skills (except possibly Knowledge: Criminology, which would be a rogue skill if it existed, and Chemistry), and the times when he hits someone hard in a fight (which are pretty often, actually) are all when he's won initiative or is striking from hiding.

Prince Zuko, from Avatar, the Last Airbender: Swordsage, mostly using Desert Wind.

Skeeve, from Aspirin's Myth series: Beguiler. This is almost a perfect fit: He knows only a very small variety of magic, mostly illusion, but he uses that little he knows very flexibly. And he also has some thievish skills.

Bluydee
2014-08-02, 10:08 AM
Drizzt Do'Urden: Ranger.... Definitely ranger...
CattiBrie: Fighter
Regis: Thief
Wulfgar: Fighter
Bruneor: Warlord

There is no 3.5 warlord, or for that matter, thief. This is my interpretation, most specifically up to the latest book.

Drizzt: Fighter/Ranger
CattiBrie: Wizard/Druid
Regis: Swashbuckler/Rogue
Wulfgar: Barbarian
Bruneor: Fighter

Shieldbunny
2014-08-02, 10:27 AM
There is no 3.5 warlord, or for that matter, thief. This is my interpretation, most specifically up to the latest book.

I think Drizzt should have at least one level of dervish, as he always seems to be full attacking while running around the battlefield. Cattie-brie was a fighter who realized her mistake and started retaining into wizard.

Karrin Murphy: LG Commoner/Survivor (Unless someone has something better)

Expert/Master Inquisitive/Survivor possibly paladin later on.

ForgottenDrow
2014-08-02, 05:07 PM

Sorry about that, I was thinking about the 4th version when I wrote that.

Leviting
2014-08-02, 05:21 PM
Borderlands 2
Commando: Optimized fighter, one level of Druid for animal companion, AKA Turret.
Siren: Psion.
Assassin: Ranger/Rogue/Assassin.
Gunzerker: Whirling Frenzy Barbarian.
Mechomancer: Artificer/Druid or PF Summoner.

All Sirens, as far as I know, are Wilders. Just think: Minimal amounts of Powers, most are fairly charismatic, and the only one we see who never manifests anything (Steele) is the one who lacks any real charisma.

I would say Lilith has a couple levels in rogue for the "Assassin" capstone ability, as it really just does (massive) sneak attack damage. Plus, you actually see her "Wild Surge" a few times.

Svata
2014-08-04, 12:08 AM
(Karrin Murpby) Expert/Master Inquisitive/Survivor possibly paladin later on.

Hmm... Yeah, tat works better, but I'd argue against Paladin, though I've only read through Changes. She explicitly refused the call, only taking it on temporarily to battle the Red King and his top lieutenants.

Crazysaneman
2014-08-04, 02:33 AM

Someone besides me who read these XD

I want to stat the kakaris. I am unworthy to do so.:smallfrown: