PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Gnomeo, the Gnoradin : A Case Study

Zubrowka74
2012-12-31, 12:55 AM
Searching for a new character to toy with outside from the core of PFRPG (so far I have only used the Alchemist) I found myself re-reading Garrg's Oradin Mini-Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365). As my focus was to try APG base classe I ended up trying to build a "gish" flavored Oradin. That is, taking more than the minimum level in oracle and by choosing the Warrior of the holy light paladin archetype, therefore leaving the oracle as sole caster.

First dilema I had was wich race to choose. Boring old humans, always a good choice for anything. Half-elf, since I'm going to push Oracle a bit more might as well have both class favored for the extra HP. I finally chose the gnome as it was a healty pick and it was shaping my concept into something a little more concrete fluff-wise.

Here's what I've got so far up to level 9

Gnome male Paladin 5 (Hospitaler & Warrior of the holy lighr) / Oracle 4
20 PB

STR 10 (-2)
CON 19 (+2, +1)
DEx 16 (+1)
INT 08
WIS 08
CHA 16 (+2)

LVL 1 Fey Foundling, Anatomist, Rapscallion
LVL 2 Life Mystery, Clouded vision, Life link
LVL 3 Weapon finesse
LVL 4 +1 DEX
LVL 5 Mercy : Sickenend, Toughness
LVL 6 Revelation : Channel
LVL 7 Extra Lay on Hands
LVL 8 +1 CON
LVL 9 Divine bond (Mount), Extra Channel (paladin)

Now I have a few options. Do I keep up alterning Paladin and Oracle levels ? Then should I switch to Half-elf for the extra HP ? That would be refluffing from the ground up. Do I take a PrC ? Hellknight is what I had in mind but mechanicaly speaking it seams pointless.

Also I originally built this little guy with THF in mind (a small Earthbreaker still does 1d10 dmg) but switched to a rapier w/ weapon finess. I really dont want to go TWF since it would eat up a lot of feats.

Zubrowka74
2013-01-01, 10:11 PM
(bump)

What do you guys think I should do with this ?

grarrrg
2013-01-02, 01:07 AM
Searching for a new character to toy with outside from the core of PFRPG (so far I have only used the Alchemist) I found myself re-reading Garrg's Oradin Mini-Guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257365)

Who? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RunningGag)

I'd probably skip Paladin 5.
Mount is nice and all, but without more Paladin levels, it will start lagging behind after level 9 (Boon Companion gives +4 effective level).

As for race, Gnome is perfectly fine, and going DEX/Finesse is a good call.
It's up to you what to do with levels after 9, but there is nothing wrong with stopping at just 4 levels of Paladin.

Snowbluff
2013-01-02, 11:07 AM
(bump)

I'd skip Oracle3

Be a Halfing (Their class bonus is more LoH healing), get a lance, use a mount.

Snowbluff
2013-01-02, 11:10 AM
(bump)

I'd skip Oracle3, and use more Paladin if you don't go into a PrC.

Be a Halfling (Their class bonus is more LoH healing).

I find Paladin Channeling to be kind of a waste. You can drop it without missing much. I prefer Oath of Vengeance to help balance out your damage vs. healing.

Zubrowka74
2013-01-03, 12:56 AM
Ok so on one side we have Paladin 4 / oracle 5 and on the other paladin 7 / oracle 2 ?

Snowbluff, remember I gave up paladin casting with one of the archetypes and my goal was to push Oracle over the 2 or 3 level dip. Also, gnomes have the same LoH favored class bonus so I'll stick with this race.

All in all P 4 / O 5 makes sens but only if I take a PrC that has good melee potential. Unless I missed something about going oracle for the remaining levels ?

Snowbluff
2013-01-03, 12:59 AM
Wait, Paladins can cast?

Zubrowka74
2013-01-03, 01:33 AM
Yeah, well if I only take 2 levels of Oracle with 7 of Paly w/out casting, it aint much of a gish build anymore, eh ?