PDA

View Full Version : OOTS #864 - The Discussion Thread

The Giant
2012-12-31, 06:43 AM
New comic is up.

There's a brief News post about it as well.

The Succubus
2012-12-31, 06:49 AM
Can we get a strip about the Digit Knight added in as an extra on the next book? =D

Jimorian
2012-12-31, 06:51 AM
Congrats on the return! :smallbiggrin:

North_Ranger
2012-12-31, 06:54 AM
Woohoo! Glad to see there's a new comic - and more importantly, to hear that you're on the mend, Mr Giant, sir. You take your time with the comic and the backlog, we understand and will be here when you are. Those who aren't... shame on you.

Can we get a strip about the Digit Knight added in as an extra on the next book? =D

Seconded! =D

Mc. Lovin'
2012-12-31, 06:55 AM
Loving the choice of thread smily, glad to see the return of OOTS!

DonDuckie
2012-12-31, 06:56 AM
Happy returns!
Happy new year!

Honor to the Digit Knight!

blueblade
2012-12-31, 07:01 AM
the wait is over! daily strips for everyone! ok, so not the second part.. welcome back Giant.

Winter
2012-12-31, 07:04 AM
Nice. And it actually advances the story!

The Pilgrim
2012-12-31, 07:09 AM
I woke up this moring and thought:
"I should check the comic, 'cuz the Giant is the kind of guy who could have gone the extra mile to update before new year.

And I got that right.

Then I saw it was a recap comic, and I thought:
"A recap comic could never be anything more than a waste of time."

And I got that wrong.

Thanks, Giant. We all wish to see Digit Knight back to full hit points, soon.

turkishproverb
2012-12-31, 07:11 AM
My reaction:

:smallsmile:
:smallconfused:

:smallbiggrin:

Nice to see them catching on to the scheme.

Shale
2012-12-31, 07:11 AM
Happy new year indeed! Hooray for a new comic, and congratulations Rich on your victory over the transparent razor-edged menace! (I know, it's not 100% yet, but you've got them on the run!)

Fable Wright
2012-12-31, 07:12 AM
This comic would probably appear rather odd in the future to anyone on an archive binge, who wasn't reading around this time. That said, I'm glad you're back, Giant, and it was a good update for everyone reading right now. :smallsmile:

BobVosh
2012-12-31, 07:16 AM
I was hoping he would sing about where V was as well.

Elder Tsofu
2012-12-31, 07:16 AM
I was quite confused about the thumb-picture at first since it wasn't in stick-style. I thought the hand was some sort of crazy elemental. :smalltongue:

Surfing HalfOrc
2012-12-31, 07:20 AM
Just before the New Year, we are back in business!

So glad to have the Giant back!

elros
2012-12-31, 07:22 AM
Yeah! I new comic!

"I should check the comic, 'cuz the Giant is the kind of guy who could have gone the extra mile to update before new year."
+1

Give credit for Elan acting EXACTLY in character by insisting on a musical interlude. Who knew he could figure out things through song better than in life? That is such a bard thing to do!

Also love Belkar asking to be deaf again. All in all a fun way to close out the year!

HUMVEE Driver
2012-12-31, 07:31 AM
Finally! I’m so glad for the update! Rest assured, we’re glad you’re back. So, thanks! The comic has returned!

Posting it right on New Year’s is very cool. A great way to end the year and ring in the new one. Good for you, Giant! Every year should end this well!

ChristianSt
2012-12-31, 07:33 AM
Good to see you back :D [I literally thought: "WTF, new comic - can that really be true?? Oo"]

Burner28
Great Strip! Loved the parody of recaps, loved Belkar's reaction to Elan singing again and laughed at the last part!

Epic comeback! Good to see you back!:smallsmile:

Aurorax
Amazing new year's present!!! Glad you are feeling better.

Anne Calie
2012-12-31, 07:34 AM
Thank you Giant for the update!

I was surprised Elan could figure out that the masked man was his father.

I'm also rooting for the Digit Knight adventures!

Happy new year everyone

Lentrax
2012-12-31, 07:38 AM
So... Who wants to help write a 500 stanza ballad of the adventures of Digit Knight? :smallbiggrin:

But seriously, thank you so much, O mighty Digit Knight for having taken Diehard as a bonus feat.

But really seriously, thank you, Mr Giant for helping end this year with one of these: :biggrin:

NotNale
2012-12-31, 07:40 AM
Yeah! New Comic.

Great to see the thumb back in action!:smallbiggrin:

JSSheridan
2012-12-31, 07:46 AM
Yay!

Thanks Giant!

MoonCat
2012-12-31, 07:50 AM
Giant, I love you forever for this comic.

Who would win in a fight of Julio Scoundrel vs Thumb Knight?

Mojique
2012-12-31, 07:51 AM
New comic is up.
Yay! :smallbiggrin:

Kumori
2012-12-31, 07:55 AM
Wow, that comic was amazingly hilarious. Thank you Rich! It's good to see you're well on your way to recovery.

factotum
2012-12-31, 07:58 AM
Cool! New strip, mending thumb, and Elan being Elan...what's not to like?

MurkyMajare
2012-12-31, 08:05 AM
Glad to have you back, Sir.

Trixie
2012-12-31, 08:06 AM
...this website has a comic? :smallconfused: JK, don't kill me :<

This comic would probably appear rather odd in the future to anyone on an archive binge, who wasn't reading around this time. That said, I'm glad you're back, Giant, and it was a good update for everyone reading right now. :smallsmile:

Well, it will be surely explained in the foreword to the paper book, I think, or right next to the strip in question in commentary, IMHO?

Xelbiuj
2012-12-31, 08:09 AM
Sweet a new comic, thanks! This bodes well.

Damn Elan! I've already read this arc like 30 times. :\

Even though it was a recap, I still did what I had planned to do with the new comic. I read the title first. Read and reread and examined each panel before going to the next. Savoring it. lol.

I love the glass . . . elementals?

Michaeler
2012-12-31, 08:09 AM

Sir Thumb, who shall never be sat upon?

Aotrs Commander
2012-12-31, 08:10 AM
I'm so pleased to see you've improved so much you can start to do things again, Rich! It's so good to see you manage to crank comic out - not so much for the comic itself (excellent though it is as per usual), but as it shows you're at least a goodly way along the road to recovery. I can't imagine how frustrating it's been (and still will be) for you (I know that I'd be going stir crazy in your situation, and I'm not drawing for a living), so it's really heartening to see you've taken a big step back towards normal operations.

And, though you don't need me to say this, I will anyway: take your time; we're still here after three months, so if it all comes slow, it comes slow! Heck, I for one am just happy to see it come at all!

A delightful note to end the year on.

Mordae
2012-12-31, 08:12 AM
Huzzah! Three cheers for the mighty Digit Knight, who will be victorious in the end. Unfortunately, just saying "Five hundred or so stanzas later..." doesn't work in this case :smallamused:

Mauve Shirt
2012-12-31, 08:13 AM
Yay! Thank you, Rich! You really needn't have drawn with a still broken thumb, but we all appreciate it. You rock!

Majiy
2012-12-31, 08:14 AM
Whohoo, new comic! Thumb up! (no pun intended :smallbiggrin:)

Very nice!

Fred Fumblrol
2012-12-31, 08:21 AM
Best late Christmas present ever.

super dark33
2012-12-31, 08:27 AM
HAZZUH!

new comic!

and it would DEFINETLY get funded.

Icedaemon
2012-12-31, 08:30 AM
Once again, humour and plot-development seamlessly blend as seems the norm for this comic.

Asmayus
2012-12-31, 08:31 AM
It's been far too long, good to have an update :D

And like others have said, if it takes you another 3 months to get back to 100%, well, we'll still be hanging around here :)

@Mauve Shirt: that is an awesome avatar, btw

Mauve Shirt
2012-12-31, 08:35 AM
@Mauve Shirt: that is an awesome avatar, btw

Thank you! :smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2012-12-31, 08:36 AM
I stared at my screen for a moment in disbelief. And then began to internally cheer. So glad to see you're on the mend!

Chantelune
2012-12-31, 08:45 AM
Yay for new strip. Now go heal that thumb properly ! :smalltongue:

fishboy
2012-12-31, 08:47 AM
I laughed So hard at the "Sir Thumb" bit :smallbiggrin: Thanks Giant and welcome back.
On a side note: I see that Humvee Driver is still at it with his "first page" posts, more subtle than he used to be, but still neither funny nor clever :smallyuk:

Commander672
2012-12-31, 08:48 AM
I wonder how much diamond it took to resurrect the noble digit.

rgrekejin
2012-12-31, 08:51 AM
Woo! New comic just before the end of the year!

maxon
2012-12-31, 08:53 AM
Welcome back Giant - I'm glad it's fixing - slowly (remember slowly does it). Yay! for Sir Thumb.

Oh, and happy new year.

Welf
2012-12-31, 08:53 AM
Nice, an update. :smallsmile:

Forikroder
2012-12-31, 09:01 AM
oh god i missed this so much T.T

Jay R
2012-12-31, 09:12 AM
Woo hoo! Happy New Year!

Who would win in a fight of Julio Scoundrel vs Thumb Knight?

Julio breaks glass; glass cuts thumb; thumb erases Julio.

Morgan Wick
2012-12-31, 09:14 AM
Or at least as a long-term digital Kickstarter bonus?

"I should check the comic, 'cuz the Giant is the kind of guy who could have gone the extra mile to update before new year.

And I got that right.
I almost wish he hadn't; the fact it advances the story arguably makes it worse in that this is how it advances it. We already knew everyone knew "Thog" wasn't himself, and now Roy gets the idea he might be Tarquin in a borderline deus ex machina? This is the dark side of the comic's lack of a fourth wall. The rest of it is every bit as much a waste of time as you'd expect, with the possible exception of this:

Also love Belkar asking to be deaf again.
Not quite as bad as some other inexplicably popular comics I could name, but not particularly necessary either. Focus on getting your thumb a full and speedy recovery, Giant, and don't feel too obligated to crank out comics too quickly; we're used to lengthy stretches between comics at this point :smallbiggrin: (Don't take that the wrong way, either!)

The Pilgrim
2012-12-31, 09:19 AM
I almost wish he hadn't; the fact it advances the story arguably makes it worse in that this is how it advances it. We already knew everyone knew "Thog" wasn't himself, and now Roy gets the idea he might be Tarquin in a borderline deus ex machina? This is the dark side of the comic's lack of a fourth wall.

No. Roy already hinted he had figured out who was the "masked man" in the first panel of the strip.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-12-31, 09:21 AM
I would fund that.

Oh, and I loved this comic. Just the sort of wacky nonsensical thing that proves that Order of the Stick doesn't take itself too seriously? It's no deus ex machina; it's deus ex digitus!

Laws of Chaos
2012-12-31, 09:22 AM
SO EXCITED TO SEE THE NEW COMIC!!

Thanks for the update and the recap also very happy to see you are healing.

Yana
2012-12-31, 09:26 AM
...this website has a comic?

What is this, the Megatokyo forums? :smalltongue:

Joking aside, welcome back, Rich. Thank you for going the extra mile to ensure that 2012 didn't go out with a whimper!

Donald
2012-12-31, 09:32 AM
And hopefully the Digit Knight has learned not to go into battle again without armor.

ReaderAt2046
2012-12-31, 09:34 AM
SQUEEE!!! And I was just wondering yesterday if the updates would start soon! Evidence that I have Wild Talent continues to mount! SQUEE!!

Sutremaine
2012-12-31, 09:39 AM
We already knew everyone knew "Thog" wasn't himself, and now Roy gets the idea he might be Tarquin in a borderline deus ex machina?
He gave specific reasons for believing the mystery masked man to be Tarquin, and with the exception of the 'hiding behind a mask' reason, all of the things he noted were things he already knew about Tarquin.

Leewei
2012-12-31, 09:42 AM
Woohoo! Thanks, Giant!

Bagger Baggins
2012-12-31, 09:55 AM
Yay! Thanks, Giant, or should we start calling you Sir Thumb? I love the fourth wall breaking the strip does every so often.

But, with everyone else, DEFINITELY take your time. We appreciate the New Year's present, but don't overdo it.

ManuelSacha
2012-12-31, 09:58 AM
What on the Nine Hells just happened? :smalleek:

willpell
2012-12-31, 10:00 AM
Huzzah! Welcome back (and would it be too painful to say "thumbs up"?).

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-31, 10:04 AM
YAAAAAAAY! All is well in the world and all is holy!

Squark
2012-12-31, 10:16 AM
*ahem*

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEE!

In non exaggerated comments... Is it bad that It took me a few minutes to realize what the thumb joke was about (That is, Rich's injury)?

Cynric
2012-12-31, 10:19 AM
Huzzah! Back in business!

Don Ohnic
2012-12-31, 10:29 AM
Made my New Year happy; here's to an at least as happy 2013.

Carry2
2012-12-31, 10:31 AM
New comic is up.

Huh. I didn't notice that. Good work. Very meta.

J-H
2012-12-31, 10:37 AM
Hurray!
[space for posting]

Pronounceable
2012-12-31, 10:38 AM
This thread has the best icon ever.

Also hurray for slow but inevitable recovery.

Quild
2012-12-31, 11:00 AM
Thumb up for new comic!

Caivs
2012-12-31, 11:01 AM
I applaud you, Rich! :D

I was so excited when I saw there was a new comic...Glad to know Sir Thumb is better now ^^

Am I the only one who read the song on The Hobbit's Lonely Mountain tune? I guess I've been listening to it for too long :/

Funniest comic in a while, I loved it. Meta FTW

Doug Lampert
2012-12-31, 11:02 AM

Well, it will be surely explained in the foreword to the paper book, I think, or right next to the strip in question in commentary, IMHO?

Oh, the book will explain it, but someone going through the archives here won't have a clue.

Oh, and "Yeah! A new comic!"

Xelbiuj
2012-12-31, 11:09 AM
Oh, the book will explain it, but someone going through the archives here won't have a clue.

Oh, and "Yeah! A new comic!"

I'm sure Elan explicitly stating that it's been 3 months since a new comic, will give it away.

denthor
2012-12-31, 11:13 AM
I applaud you Rich. One handed of course in honor of your status. Continue to get well. We will wait.

Trixie
2012-12-31, 11:20 AM
He gave specific reasons for believing the mystery masked man to be Tarquin, and with the exception of the 'hiding behind a mask' reason, all of the things he noted were things he already knew about Tarquin.

Yes, he gave reasons, but between Tarquin's/Malack's demonstrated hatred of Nale and the fact Nale assembled new band, instantly jumping to conclusion it was Tarquin and not just random jobless tavern occupant can be seen as a bit weird.

fill-in-name
2012-12-31, 11:20 AM
so, when can we expect the "500 stanza epic poem"? :smallbiggrin:

Glad to hear you're slowly getting back in action!

ReaderAt2046
2012-12-31, 11:23 AM
Am I the only one who read the song on The Hobbit's Lonely Mountain tune? I guess I've been listening to it for too long

I heard it to "Brave Sir Robin" from Monty Python :smallconfused:

The Succubus
2012-12-31, 11:25 AM
Guys, I'm disappointed in you. It's been 3 pages and no-one's attempted to stat out the glass monsters yet. I'm guessing slashing damage will be a major feature of them.

Mando Knight
2012-12-31, 11:33 AM
Took me a while to connect the dots on why Elan sang that last stanza...

Anarion
2012-12-31, 11:34 AM
Hurray, new comic! Congratulations on a partial recovery, Giant.

I'm also rather pleasantly surprised that they figured out it was Tarquin. The joke was a bit extended during the fight and I was a bit worried that they'd follow Elan's usual lead and ignore figuring it out for the sake of drama.

Guys, I'm disappointed in you. It's been 3 pages and no-one's attempted to stat out the glass monsters yet. I'm guessing slashing damage will be a major feature of them.

Some kind of thorns aura, so you take damage when you strike them. :smallamused:

Gnomish Wanderer
2012-12-31, 11:35 AM
Hehe, I enjoyed the metahumor profusely

t209
2012-12-31, 11:36 AM
Good timing, Rich! And Happy Newyear (plus it's my birthday tomorrow!)
P.S- If Rich hadn't injured his thumb, I wouldn't have become a brony!

Loki_42
2012-12-31, 11:39 AM
This is awesome. And I think given how long we were willing to wait for this, you can churn them out as slowly as you like while your thumb heals.

brionl
2012-12-31, 11:56 AM
Yes, he gave reasons, but between Tarquin's/Malack's demonstrated hatred of Nale and the fact Nale assembled new band, instantly jumping to conclusion it was Tarquin and not just random jobless tavern occupant can be seen as a bit weird.

Some random mook who can fight Roy to a scoreless draw and still escape? Right...

Same here. :)

I don't think 3 months is all that long. I had a boo-boo on the ring finger of my right hand, and it took me almost 2 months to get full use of my hand back. The thumb is whole lot more tricky than the other fingers.

Anyway, glad to see Rich is at least mostly better.

JCarter426
2012-12-31, 11:58 AM
After all this time, I feel like I should say something intelligent appreciative and constructive, but all I can think of are "Woooooooooooooooo, a new comic!" and "And it furthers the plot!" so I'll just say those two things.

Zar Peter
2012-12-31, 12:00 PM
At last I know again what I'm waiting for... I'm reading the books the third time now to bridge the time when your thumb is working again. :smalltongue:

Thank you for the comic and a happy new year to you and Mrs. Giant!

willpell
2012-12-31, 12:03 PM
Wait...is it just me or did the comic title change? I thought it was just "bet it would", referring to the 500-stanza plan of Elans, and now I see it mentions Kickstarter funding and wondered if it was changed in response to The Succubus's post.

I applaud you Rich. One handed of course in honor of your status.

Hm. And what was the sound this made? :smallamused:

I don't think 3 months is all that long.

Not all by itself, but it comes on top of previous delays...I might be wrong but haven't there only been like 5-10 comics in the past year? I know at one point there were literally only like 2 updates in a 9-month period, though that might have been a year or two back...it was definitely since they arrived on the Western Continent.

SpykeMH
2012-12-31, 12:09 PM
Good to have you back Giant

Shmuel
2012-12-31, 12:09 PM
Not all by itself, but it comes on top of previous delays...I might be wrong but haven't there only been like 5-10 comics in the past year?
45, in fact, starting with #824 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0824.html). (Note the copyright date.)

Zherog
2012-12-31, 12:17 PM
Welcome back.

Sparrow
2012-12-31, 12:20 PM
I was hoping he would sing about where V was as well.

"And V is stuck in a pit trap" sings Elan

Others: "Yeah...Wait, what?!?"

Also, thank you Giant for this update.

Connington
2012-12-31, 12:28 PM
I almost wish he hadn't; the fact it advances the story arguably makes it worse in that this is how it advances it.

You do remember when Haley bypassed a tedious sidequest by climbing out of the comic and stealing a diamond from the cast page, right? Or when Haley cottoned on to Blind Pete's betrayal due to a dramatically appropriate cutaway panel? Or When Kazumi and Daigo survived by saying their names?

Anyways, you've got to love Rich for killing his thumb to bring us a joke panel with new artwork to make light of how much his thumb hurts.

Lentrax
2012-12-31, 12:30 PM

Glass shard
Construct

2hp, CR: 1/8, special.

Str 8
Dex 0
Con 0
Int 6
Wis 5
Cha 18

Attacks: +5, 1d4-1 piercing; +5, 1d2 slashing

Special: when attacking members of the digit family, all attacks gain +1d8 damage, an gain a 75% chance of incapacitating victim for 1d8 months.

How's that succubus? Just wrote that in like 3 minutes, not a good monster, but its a start.

Mutant Sheep
2012-12-31, 01:02 PM
Now we know what Rich was doing these past few months. Writing a nice little diddy. :smalltongue: I like it.

TheSummoner
2012-12-31, 01:09 PM
Glad to see that bold Sir Thumb is riding again. Even if he's not up to full, it's good to know his adventure isn't over.

PaulTheSamurai
2012-12-31, 01:14 PM
Welcome Back Rich!

Doug Lampert
2012-12-31, 01:17 PM
Glass shard
Construct

Str 8
Dex 0
Con 0
Int 6
Wis 5
Cha 18

Special: when attacking members of the digit family, all attacks gain +1d8 damage, an gain a 75% chance of incapacitating victim for 1d8 months.

How's that succubus? Just wrote that in like 3 minutes, not a good monster, but its a start.

Con should be - not 0, there's a difference between not having a stat (such as constructs and con) and having a stat of 0.

Similarly 0 dex would indicate that the things are incapable of moving or making physical attacks, so you need to give then a dex score.

rewinn
2012-12-31, 01:18 PM
Is this the 1st cameo by The Giant? (... or at least The Giant's Thumb....)

And trivia: Sir Thumb's arms are "Or, a Chevron Gules" (I don't know whether the border is an additional element of the blazon or just a feature of the shield) Perhaps this postforeshadowed the interruption in the flow of gold that was occasioned by a bloody pointy intrusion. Or perhaps not.

Leirus
2012-12-31, 01:20 PM
Best new year present ever.

Gift Jeraff
2012-12-31, 01:22 PM
Oh neat. There are free comics on the sidebar? That's pretty cool.

Manga Shoggoth
2012-12-31, 01:31 PM
That was hilarious.

Now that Belkar has requested being struck blind and deaf in the strip, are we going to see an assult on his other senses as well?

(More seriously - excelent strip, but don't push Sir Digit too far...)

SteveDJ
2012-12-31, 01:40 PM
Am I the only one who read the song on The Hobbit's Lonely Mountain tune? I guess I've been listening to it for too long :/

Seconded! Monty Python all the way -- in fact, I was getting a little upset that I couldn't keep the meter/rhythm matching all the way through.

And I, too, had to read it twice before I made the "thumb" connection... at first I thought it was just Elan being Elan, going off on a tangent that he was more interested in...

It is just sad that with all the backlog of work that The Giant has to do, here we are asking for the Digit Knight backstory. :smallfrown: Yet, I too would love to see it in the same book's bonus material... :smallbiggrin:

EatAtEmrakuls
2012-12-31, 01:41 PM
Best update icon ever.

Trixie
2012-12-31, 01:49 PM

Slashing/piercing :smallcool:

Some random mook who can fight Roy to a scoreless draw and still escape? Right...

You (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html) were (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html) saying (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0031.html)? :smallconfused:

Not draw, all 3 fights were lost to nameless mooks.

Glass shard
Construct

Str 8
Dex 0
Con 0
Int 6
Wis 5
Cha 18

Nah, I'd use glass golem stats instead, just divide damage between slashing/piercing.

Is this the 1st cameo by The Giant?

Nope, he appeared twice before in comic.

Edit: here (http://www.giantitp.com/Images/fanart/ootslate1.gif) and here (http://www.giantitp.com/Images/fanart/ootslate2.gif), for example.

Karoug
2012-12-31, 01:53 PM
Thank you Giant for the wonderful New Year's present strip! Glad to learn you are getting better!

Sparrow
2012-12-31, 01:56 PM
You (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html) were (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0200.html) saying (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0031.html)? :smallconfused:

I may be incorrect because its been a while since I read the first one, but it appears that Roy won it.Considering the guy was thrown over a cliff while trying to stay at AoO range with his spiked chain

Eiremauve
2012-12-31, 01:59 PM
Am I the only one who read the song on The Hobbit's Lonely Mountain tune? I guess I've been listening to it for too long

Oh, those are awesome songs! :smallsmile: I read it to the tune of a weird version of Yankee Doodle.

Trixie
2012-12-31, 02:03 PM
I may be incorrect because its been a while since I read the first one, but it appears that Roy won it.

Without conveniently placed Cliff of Doom he would have been killed, and that was as nameless mook as possible. So, unless Roy for some reason thinks only Tarquin can beat him now, that was odd logical jump to make.

Somebloke
2012-12-31, 02:04 PM
New Comic!

Yaaaaaaay!

Hugs For All!

Giggling Ghast
2012-12-31, 02:05 PM
Huzzah! All welcome the return of the brave Digit Knight!

Seriously, that second-last panel gave me the giggles.

Morquard
2012-12-31, 02:05 PM
I'm so glad to see that Elan actually caught on to Tarquin, almost as a sidenote as if it was completely obvious (I mean for him as a Bard it probably is. Evil guy, who goes the extra mile to hide his identity can only mean it's someone close to him)

Also: Welcome back Giant! And don't worry, we waited for three months now, we will wait even longer for your hand to heal.

joosy
2012-12-31, 02:09 PM
I always sing songs and poems that I do not know the tune for, to the Gilligan's Island theme.

That works for anything in ballad meter which means I can never read Emily Dickenson without giggling to myself. :)

http://xkcd.com/788/

Sparrow
2012-12-31, 02:12 PM
Without conveniently placed Cliff of Doom he would have been killed, and that was as nameless mook as possible. So, unless Roy for some reason thinks only Tarquin can beat him now, that was odd logical jump to make.

Point Taken.Besides, if I remember correctly, it wasn't too long ago Roy got his butt kicked by Thog in the arena. The only reason he survived was because of his cross class ranks in knowledge: architecture and engineering.

Ted The Bug
2012-12-31, 02:13 PM
I was scrolling aimlessly through twitter when I saw the Giant's tweet. My first thought was "Oh, a new KS update, I'll read it in a bit."
Then I realized it said "OOTS".
Day. MADE.

Congratz on the return, Rich!! Welcome back.

And I too would love the Adventures of the bold Sir Thumb.

Kish
2012-12-31, 02:13 PM
I may be incorrect because its been a while since I read the first one, but it appears that Roy won it.Considering the guy was thrown over a cliff while trying to stay at AoO range with his spiked chain
And since when was Miko a nameless mook?

It's also a stretch to call "mind flayer knocks down Roy, the rest of the group doesn't get involved (other than Vaarsuvius complaining about not being chosen) before the lawyers show up" a fight.

Sparrow
2012-12-31, 02:31 PM

It's also a stretch to call "mind flayer knocks down Roy, the rest of the group doesn't get involved (other than Vaarsuvius complaining about not being chosen) before the lawyers show up" a fight.

Don't look at me, I'm not the one who called Miko a nameless mook.

Caivs
2012-12-31, 02:41 PM
I heard it to "Brave Sir Robin" from Monty Python

Thank you for making me discover this song :D

Doug Lampert
2012-12-31, 02:44 PM

Agreed, Miko isn't nameless, the half-ogre losses (and assuming he'd have won without a cliff is assuming something not in evidence, Roy might well have come up with something else), and the mindflayer fight is aborted without actually happening.

There's no evidence of Roy losing to nameless mooks.

Which doesn't neccessarily mean Roy can easily figure out T's presence, it isn't implausible that the Linear Guild could have found another fighter somewhere, they do keep finding kobolds after all.

But on yet another hand, it's also not implausible to figure out that other characters have teamed up. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0819.html)

CloakedDancer
2012-12-31, 02:51 PM
HUZZAH!

:smallsmile:

Draz74
2012-12-31, 02:54 PM
Overjoyed to see that Sir Thumb is in fact making progress, and will be able to start churning out new comics at a healthy, leisurely pace.

Bet It Would Get Funded on Kickstarter
Quoted For Truth

Wait...is it just me or did the comic title change? I thought it was just "bet it would", referring to the 500-stanza plan of Elans, and now I see it mentions Kickstarter funding and wondered if it was changed in response to The Succubus's post.

Nope, you just forgot to read the second line of it.

Skios
2012-12-31, 02:56 PM
Great to see another comic, glad to see that your thumb is improving.

t209
2012-12-31, 03:03 PM
At least some of us fans, including me, became Bronies during three months of waiting.:smallredface:

Arcanist
2012-12-31, 03:09 PM
I wonder how much diamond it took to resurrect the noble digit.

I think it was the combined efforts of everyone who tried to resurrect the noble digit! Alas, even the might of Epic Spellcasting was incapable of resurrecting this mighty hero! :smallfrown: but surely have the God's blessed us with the return of this legendary hero!

:smallbiggrin: but seriously, I loved this comic so much. When I saw it I'm squeeled and shouted in sheer happiness. So loud in fact my Brother came over and bonked me on the head :smalltongue:

Lentrax
2012-12-31, 03:09 PM
Con should be - not 0, there's a difference between not having a stat (such as constructs and con) and having a stat of 0.

Similarly 0 dex would indicate that the things are incapable of moving or making physical attacks, so you need to give then a dex score.

I don't know. Glass seems to me to not have one, unless you really need a dex score to fall down. :smalltongue:

Nah, I'd use glass golem stats instead, just divide damage between slashing/piercing.

These are for a glass shard, and are only meant for humor to reply to the Succubus's comment about noone statting the shard that critted the Giant's thumb.

So, thanks for the PEACH guys, but it was only a joke. But hey, if someone want to be serious about it, by all means, have at it. :smallbiggrin:

kiapet
2012-12-31, 03:16 PM
That was wonderful! It's humor like this that makes OOTS so enjoyable.

Kurald Galain
2012-12-31, 03:26 PM
I find it funny that Elan basically sucks at given recaps, considering how most of what he recapped was in the last half-a-dozen comics. Then again, think of his intelligence score :smallbiggrin:

Anywyay, thanks Giant for the end-of-year present!!

theinsulabot
2012-12-31, 03:34 PM
Eh, if the cliff hasn't been there, Roy would have just found another way to win. Miko had been foreshadowed for over 80 strips, and the mind flayed was a throw away when Roy was considerably weaker.

...these don't seem like the best examples.

Bagger Baggins
2012-12-31, 03:50 PM
I always sing songs and poems that I do not know the tune for, to the Gilligan's Island theme.

That works for anything in ballad meter which means I can never read Emily Dickenson without giggling to myself. :)

Thank you, Joosy. I'm not musical in the slightest and hadn't even tried to find a tune for Elan's song. But Gilligan's Island works great.

Have to wonder what the Giant was humming while he was writing it, though....

ti'esar
2012-12-31, 04:07 PM
In addition to what everyone else has been commenting on, I loved panel 3.

:elan:: Good start, Roy! Keep going!

Gwynfrid
2012-12-31, 04:11 PM
Great news to see you in a somewhat better shape, Giant. Here's to a fantastic 2013 !

(Great update, too).

Ravens_cry
2012-12-31, 04:14 PM
*tears* It's the best Christmas ever!:smallredface:
Welcome back, Giant!

Trixie
2012-12-31, 04:15 PM

Since her name is given 5 strips later, she is the very definition of nameless mook when she won the fight. Shall I explain 'mook' part too? :smallwink:

Dracarot
2012-12-31, 04:38 PM
Huzzah! The Giant's herald Sir Thumb rides once more!

Ivrytwr
2012-12-31, 04:40 PM
Awesome-ness! Welcome back Giant!

Draxonicar
2012-12-31, 04:42 PM
Oh cool, OOTS is back.

Ave
2012-12-31, 04:43 PM
Phew. A somewhat happy end of the year!

Ave
2012-12-31, 04:47 PM

Any more odd than the snack interludes? Or the interviews with the cast?

Bulldog Psion
2012-12-31, 04:50 PM
Woot!!!! Congratulations, Rich!!!! Happy New Year, everyone!!!!! :smallbiggrin:

SteveDJ
2012-12-31, 05:17 PM

Thank you for making me discover this song :D

Yea, you say "Thank you" now, but just wait until you cannot get that song out of your head every time Elan gives us a song... :smallwink: ... thank you, indeed. :smallbiggrin:

Turgon9357
2012-12-31, 05:49 PM
And the fandom rejoiced.

pendell
2012-12-31, 05:51 PM
New comic is up.

Huzzah! All constructive criticism from me is hereby suspended both in observance of the new year and also in welcome of the return of posting!

Also well pleased to see the plot advancing. So Roy and Elan both twigged that it was probably Tarquin. That's ... surprisingly intelligent on Elan's part. Character development? Did he add points to INT on his last level up?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Kareasint
2012-12-31, 05:57 PM
I think it was the combined efforts of everyone who tried to resurrect the noble digit! Alas, even the might of Epic Spellcasting was incapable of resurrecting this mighty hero! :smallfrown: but surely have the God's blessed us with the return of this legendary hero!

25k GP to resurrect an EPIC LEVEL character. And he has got to want to come back.

Welcome back, Giant. It took my thumb about three months to heal also.

Beacon of Chaos
2012-12-31, 06:27 PM
Glad to see you're on the road to full recovery, Rich. This comic was a lot of fun, even if it is a recap!

I kinda want to sing along with Elan. Shame I can't actually sing. :smallsigh:

:smalltongue:

Sparrow
2012-12-31, 06:29 PM
Huzzah! All constructive criticism from me is hereby suspended both in observance of the new year and also in welcome of the return of posting!

Also well pleased to see the plot advancing. So Roy and Elan both twigged that it was probably Tarquin. That's ... surprisingly intelligent on Elan's part. Character development? Did he add points to INT on his last level up?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

You can think it is character development, but surely Elan isn't that stupid. Tarquin specifically stopped to ask if Elan was gonna do anything. Any other member of a team of evil-doers who surely of just struck him down right there (Well Probably.) Elan had to know that, right? Right?

Silverraptor
2012-12-31, 07:13 PM
Oh man, the digit knight at the end.:smallbiggrin: Glad your feeling better Giant.:smallsmile:

Katalina Island
2012-12-31, 07:17 PM
YE- freakin- HAW! So glad to see you are back! May the Digit Knight sally forth and kick some ass!

Niesra
2012-12-31, 07:25 PM
Awesome strip Rich! And a happy new year. I was laughing for most of the strip (and hearing a guitar quartet in the background of my mind for some reason...which is weird because Elan was carrying just the one lute).

I was also surprised Elan figured out the masked person was his father. Though in retrospect Elan notices a lot of things...he just doesn't seem to realize their importance or significance xD

Beowulf DW
2012-12-31, 07:36 PM
Glad to see that the valiant Digit Knight is recovering so well. Also glad to see that your sense of humor still in top shape, Sir Giant.

gamingfreak10
2012-12-31, 07:38 PM
so glad i happened to click on the bookmark. completely random check and i almost didn't notice the new comic.

grats on getting enough control back to do comics again giant! and please don't rush the next one, I'm sure everyone would agree we'd prefer to wait for the next comic than to have you hurt yourself again

nonbeliever93
2012-12-31, 08:05 PM
Roy and Haley based their deduction on the fact that Tarquin was in disguise as Thog with a helmet. Even without fourth wall awareness, that's enough to guess it's someone they know on this conitinent.

Hendenicholas
2012-12-31, 08:08 PM
Long-time lurker, longer-time reader, appreciator of Start of Darkness, and first-time poster.

Rich, glad that you're doing better and hope that you continue to improve but _please_ make sure that you're back up to snuff before drawing and pushing yourself. You've created an amazing universe here that would only suffer for rushing things. Best wishes, prayers, and hopes for 2013 for yourself and your family.

Oh, and the "recap" was hilarious.

John

AtomicKitKat
2012-12-31, 08:14 PM
Am I the only one who sang Elan's song to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"? Or maybe I've heard that tune too often when people try to do "medieval". Especially with a flute.

jywu98
2012-12-31, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the comic! :smallbiggrin:

Math_Mage
2012-12-31, 08:41 PM
Glad to see the Giant Thumb Convalescence has reached a sound conclusion.

Diadem
2012-12-31, 08:53 PM
Great strip! Great come-back! Glad to see you are on the mend, Giant! Good luck in 2013!

Subzero008
2012-12-31, 09:20 PM
All hail the Thumb Knight!
May his recovery be quick!
His enemies, he shall smite!
And bring about the return of our beloved comic!

All hail the return of the Order!
But their re-entry won't be swift!
They'll have to wait until he's better!
To search again for Girald's rift!

LordofNaught
2012-12-31, 09:30 PM
A plot advancing recap, something I haven't seen in a long time. And a mention of bold Sir Thumb being struck down by the evil Glass Shards. Hope you give us all a comic of how brave Sir Thumb rose again once you've finished healing.

A happy new year to all.

Canisius
2012-12-31, 10:06 PM
I was clicking through my bookmarks, saw the GITP link and thought "Maybe Rich has an update on his thumb". et voila - a NEW COMIC!

Take it easy, Mr. Giant. I have an organist friend who managed to go through a plate-glass patio window. His hand was messed up for quite some time, but he's back at the console again.

Best wishes for a complete recovery, Rich! As for me, I won't mind if you take your time between updates till you're back at full hitpoints.

Happy New Year!

texascarl
2012-12-31, 10:06 PM
Bravo! Good to 'see' you back again...and awesome poem/song/update.

Thumbs up (and healed, I hope)

Gloverboy
2012-12-31, 10:08 PM
Myself being another lurker, I gotta step from the shadows long enough to say I am so glad to see you back at it Rich. Your talent is too great for a right and just universe to allow your hands to be compromised too long. Welcome back! We'll all watch patiently as the comics trickle back in. Take your time, and know you are loved by thousands of people you've never seen

OOTS is the first bookmark on my daily wake up rounds, and I never took it down or even moved, even for these months. You do great art, you tell a great story. Thank you sir.

Kheldarath
2012-12-31, 10:16 PM
Thank you sir giant! Hope your thumb continues to improve :) meantime happy new year!

SN137
2012-12-31, 10:34 PM
Am I the only one who sang Elan's song to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"?
I did it to magic carpet ride . :smallwink:

JackRackham
2012-12-31, 10:48 PM
The battle between the thumb knight and the glass = Thumb War

J's
2012-12-31, 11:08 PM
Is that the right smiley for your hand? I thought in the pictures it was right hand. Whatever.

Nice shout out to self :). Continue mending.

DCR
2013-01-01, 12:22 AM
Glad you're back, liked the recap (poor V) and can't wait for more!

oppyu
2013-01-01, 02:05 AM
Hooray, it's back!

*leaves to go check on my threads*

Faltenin
2013-01-01, 03:21 AM
Welcome back. You have been sorely missed...

HammerCrush
2013-01-01, 04:02 AM
BEST. NEW. YEAR. EVER!:elan:

Kazasu
2013-01-01, 04:13 AM

This, exactly!

Absolutely made my day, thank you Rich. I am glad you're feeling better!

rottenvenetic
2013-01-01, 04:44 AM
Great to see you're back, Giant. How's the hand?

Sweet_Goddess
2013-01-01, 06:45 AM
New comic is up.

Rich,
1) Love seeing your off-hand cameo (or is it your strong hand I guess in this case)
2) As everyone has said, take your time (slow updates are just fine with me, since they help you exercise your hand, we get the comics, but you don't aggravate the injury), get better, and we'll all cheer you on
3) Thank you for the comics, we love them, we're all your bards, and we all want to sing to give you morale boosts and buffs

SO!!! TOTALLY!!! AGREE!!!

Seconded! Monty Python all the way -- in fact, I was getting a little upset that I couldn't keep the meter/rhythm matching all the way through.

Am I the only one who sang Elan's song to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"? Or maybe I've heard that tune too often when people try to do "medieval". Especially with a flute.

I had the Walrus and the Carpenter from Alice in Wonderland, but I can hear most of the others pretty well too...

Glass shard
Construct

Str 8
Dex 0
Con 0
Int 6
Wis 5
Cha 18

Pretty good start, but let me make a few adjustments

Glass Shard
Construct

Str 8
Dex 1
Con N/A
Int 6
Wis 5
Cha 18

Extraordinary: When a Glass Shard is hit it, it has a 25% chance to divide itself into 2d4 Glass Shards.

Slashing/piercing :smallcool:

Point Taken.Besides, if I remember correctly, it wasn't too long ago Roy got his butt kicked by Thog in the arena. The only reason he survived was because of his cross class ranks in knowledge: architecture and engineering.

Agreed, Miko isn't nameless, the half-ogre losses (and assuming he'd have won without a cliff is assuming something not in evidence, Roy might well have come up with something else), and the mindflayer fight is aborted without actually happening.

There's no evidence of Roy losing to nameless mooks.

Which doesn't neccessarily mean Roy can easily figure out T's presence, it isn't implausible that the Linear Guild could have found another fighter somewhere, they do keep finding kobolds after all.

Since her name is given 5 strips later, she is the very definition of nameless mook when she won the fight. Shall I explain 'mook' part too? :smallwink:

Here, allow me:

Mook is a generic term used in fictional media for a group of enemy characters that are insignificant to the plot and simply there to be killed by the protagonist.
The character who's contribution to the story is negligible, if any.
A static self centered character whose purpose in the story is to obstruct other characters by either being clumsy, foolish, greedy, evil, obtrusive, or a combination of those elements.
An insignificant character's passing is often part of the story and the audience is often unsympathetic to that passing.

So no, Miko was never a mook, therefore we go back to the issues. Nor were the other two. Nameless at the time, Miko wasn't a mook, and she wasn't totally nameless, she was a foreshadowed 'threat'. This is comparable to calling MitD a helpless critter because we can't identify what species it is, which doesn't matter because MitD isn't helpless and isn't a critter, even before we saw MitD perform mighty acts didn't make it helpless nor a critter.

The only valid point, Malack's hatred of Nale (Tarquin doesn't hate Nale, he just doesn't respect Nale, there is a major difference. Tarquin has similar feelings for Nale as he does for Elan. They are his good and evil sons who are meant to challenge him and one will eventually bring him the glory of defeat that will make him legend), that has been made is the one that is invalidated by the Order not knowing Malack is there. They haven't seen Malack yet, and therefore don't know he is temporarily cooperating with Nale.

In addition, while the Guild has repeatedly found Kobolds, they were not mooks either, Yikyik was a skilled ranger, Yokyok a skilled swordsman, and Yukyuk was an even better ranger then Yikyik, and each has been an opponent for Belkar, not Roy... in fact, besides Yikyik, Roy has never met one of the Kobolds in a setting where they could swap opponents and he face the Kobold (Yokyok was dead by actual 'Nameless Mooks' and turned into salsa and a nacho dish before Roy could even meet him, Yukyuk was already V's puppet and Mr.Scruffy's servant/litterbox by the time Roy met him.

Thog and Nale have been Roy's LG opponents since their first appearance, so the introduction of a substitute for Thog, who'd met Thog (months) before the arena (since he was impersonating Thog) but didn't fight along side the LG at the palace, coupled with the other points that have been brought up, eliminates almost anyone except Tarquin... and it was that glaringly obvious that even Elan considered it as the most likely candidate.

People keep thinking, hey, Elan has gotten smarter... no... Rich is pointing out that the preponderance of evidence is really stacked like a huge mountain, people have just been fixated on one little outcropping of the mountain of evidence, but the characters haven't been... Tarquin being the LGs new 'Melee Guy' would actually be pretty obvious... unless you're an Roleplayer who ignores what the DM has hinted at (Belkar), and even the guy with Intelligence as a dump stat can figure it out.

Also, Roy has grown in skill greatly, and this is the guy who beat an Epic Level Lich Sorcerer with his bare hands (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0114.html) before he faced all but one of the foes you presented. Thog is his nemesis and will always be as strong or stronger then Roy, so overcoming him will be a challenge, for someone to dispatch not just Roy, but the entire Order with relative ease, and yet be working for Nale implies that the guy has some connection and is not really working for Nale... Tarquin suddenly becomes the only guy that could viably fit the bill.

Bastian Weaver
2013-01-01, 07:13 AM
Best. Strip. Ever.
Well, maybe second to the one where Elan and Haley share their first kiss.
Welcome back to the world of drawing, brave Sir Thumb. We never lost faith in you!

Onyavar
2013-01-01, 07:39 AM
Whooooooooooooooo!

So glad you're back, Rich! Congratulations on the recap and all, all my best wishes to all your digits, may they keep drawing until a very old age!

I nearly didn't find my way in the forums. :smalleek:

HandofShadows
2013-01-01, 08:58 AM
Yea! And the plot is able to move on during a recap. :smallcool: Isn't there a law againt that someplace? :smallconfused: :smallbiggrin:

Hopeless
2013-01-01, 09:29 AM
New comic is up.

First off... WELCOME BACK!!!

Secondly... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Oh I almost forgot.... MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

I think that covers it... have I forgotten something?!:smallbiggrin:

Edhelras
2013-01-01, 10:29 AM
Yay! Hooray! The OOTS is back! 2013 will be a brilliant year! Cheers, everybody!

stsasser
2013-01-01, 10:32 AM
I read that SOOOO HARD! :smallbiggrin:

PhotoRob
2013-01-01, 10:50 AM
Bold Sir Thumb versus the glass... brilliant!!

I have to say, for someone with only 9/10 of his fingers intact, the strip looks awesome. Glad the thumb is getting better. And don't worry, take all the time you need - I'm sure we'd all rather see perfect strips than frequent ones. :smallsmile:

Unahim
2013-01-01, 11:51 AM
What I liked most about this page:

A while ago there was a big debate in one of the threads here about whether or not Tarquin's joke was about sex, or about doing blow. I'm happy to see it has been confirmed as a sexist joke in this strip.

Basooned
2013-01-01, 12:44 PM
Don't overwork yourself Rich, we're all pretty patient :)

Jubal_Barca
2013-01-01, 01:15 PM
Huzzah! Great to see the strip back. :smallsmile:

Morph Bark
2013-01-01, 01:17 PM
What would be the funding goal of such a Kickstarter? :smallamused:

eulmanis12
2013-01-01, 01:17 PM
digits for the digit knight
thumbs for the thumb throne!

Welcome back:smallbiggrin:

LuPuWei
2013-01-01, 01:30 PM
Welcome back, sir! And take your time...

ManuelSacha
2013-01-01, 02:00 PM
Can everybody please stop with the "nameless mook" thing?
Do we really need to write pages and pages to "prove" that Miko wasn't a nameless mook?
She wasn't. Obviously.
Nor was the level appropriate dungeon encounter. Obviously.
The ogre with the chain was. Obviously.

But the point is that Zz'dtri isn't a random, or nameless mook, nor were Thog, Leeky Windstaff or the last two kobolds, who troubled V and Belkar. All of these were "new recruits", or at least new characters, and thus so far unknown, and still they managed to obtain draws, if not small victories, against several members of the Order, even though the LG as a whole always ended up defeated in the end.

Therefore, assuming that:
GUY I DON'T KNOW = NOT A THREAT
...is a crime.
You are murdering logic. :smallfurious:

Shmuel
2013-01-01, 02:25 PM
The whole premise of the "nameless mook" thing is that Roy shouldn't know who Tarquin is because the Linear Guild could have easily have recruited somebody else. But that ignores all the actual evidence for it being Tarquin, including the fact that an unknown recruit wouldn't be trying to hide his identity. And that they recently spent enough time with Tarquin to know his style, and that he was certainly in the midst of machinations involving them. (They should know he had an ulterior motive for sending them off. In fact, the last thing Elan did before they entered the fortress was set an as-yet-unknown counterplan in motion.) Add the build, the complexion, the age, the level, the sense of humor, and the fact that he immediately takes control of the party once Nale is down, and this is easily within the ability of Roy and Elan to figure out. (The former, due to Intelligence; the latter, due to Drama, plus it's his dad.)

Mono Vertigo
2013-01-01, 02:39 PM
Thank you so much, Rich! Please think about yourself first and foremost once again, though!

... does that mean that we're welcome to discuss the Digit Knight's alignment, or...?

BrooksSut
2013-01-01, 03:04 PM
Yay! Thanks for your efforts in getting out a new comic Mr. Berlew! Keep on taking care of yourself and healing, and I'll be happy to see each new comic as it comes, whenever it comes.

Oh, and:

Best. Recap Comic. Ever! LOL

Killer Angel
2013-01-01, 03:14 PM
That's... a very nice way to begin the new year! thanks. :smallsmile:
(BTW, Not that the Giant needs my +1, but I agree it's a GOOD idea to don't worry for the pacing.)

BriarHobbit
2013-01-01, 04:25 PM
Glad to see that the comic is back. Hope that Rich does not overdo it.

Clertar
2013-01-01, 05:04 PM
Wooo!!! Yay, go Sir Thumb!

Xelbiuj
2013-01-01, 05:28 PM
What do you all think of the first panel? ie whether or not they should have opened the trap wall?
Will it slow the Linear Guild down enough for OOTS to get to the gate, perhaps keep Tarquin and friends out while Xykon arrives? I don't think he'll be able to bash it with his whip and if Malack could have surpassed it, he probably would have by now. I don't think Sabine can unlock it, see Azure City prison.

The order may have missed the perfect opportunity to take out a dangerous threat . . .

Incom
2013-01-01, 05:32 PM
First GITP Forum Law: Every thread that lasts long enough will become about Miko, Vaarsuvius' gender and/or alignment, or what DnD rules were applied in a given scene in the comic.

Also, knowing GITP, we'll have that 500-stanza epic poem by, oh, say, 865's posting? :smallwink:

But yeah, welcome back Giant! :smallbiggrin:

Ninja Dragon
2013-01-01, 06:47 PM
The best webcomic of the internet is back.

Zmflavius
2013-01-01, 06:53 PM
Hmmm...technically, aren't most of the books already recap collections with extras?

Well, they weren't funded on kickstarter.

Lvl45DM!
2013-01-01, 09:17 PM
Hahahahahaha!

and the thumb drawing is really quite good!

NotBambi
2013-01-01, 09:20 PM
I'm just so happy to see a new strip! I have nothing else valuable to add to the conversation!

oppyu
2013-01-01, 09:36 PM
1) An epic poem about Sir Thumb's battle against glass would absolutely get funded on Kickstarter. If you weren't so swamped with your first Kickstarter, I'd demand you get to crowdfunding and then writing that.
2) So... how did Elan figure out that not-Thog was Tarquin? Nice to see the Order's competence streak continue.

Sparrow
2013-01-01, 09:54 PM
2) So... how did Elan figure out that not-Thog was Tarquin? Nice to see the Order's competence streak continue.

I believe Elan figured it out when Tarquin was attacking everyone else, and then stopped at Elan, not harming his son. I think even Elan could figure that out.

Shininghope
2013-01-01, 10:31 PM
Yay new comic! You sir, are quite amazing! Same as others, just thought I'd add to the noise; it's good to have comics, but it's better for you to get better! Good luck healing up!

Not sure what number we're up to, but I DO WANT THIS :D

the_tick_rules
2013-01-01, 11:56 PM
Was it that long really?

Tobimaro
2013-01-02, 12:09 AM
Glad to see the Giant on the mend. Love the Digit Knight, and bards can be useful (although in Elan's case, that can be debatable). :smallsmile:

MrShadetree
2013-01-02, 12:34 AM
Glad to see you back doing something you love.

Sparrow
2013-01-02, 01:00 AM
Was it that long really?

Oh yes. You have no idea how long we've been waiting for an update. Its worse than the time the forums went down for a few days last year. Terrible

Heksefatter
2013-01-02, 02:10 AM
It is times like this that I love Elan and the Bardic Plane that his thought processes operate on.

shylocxs
2013-01-02, 05:24 AM
Best recap comic in all of comic history!

Well, I don't know... but I believe so!

Hope your thumb keeps healing well!

coineineagh
2013-01-02, 06:30 AM
Has it been only 3 months? It felt like longer.

A great start of the New Year!

BungleBee
2013-01-02, 08:45 AM
Great to see you back in action! :biggrin:

Tundar
2013-01-02, 09:00 AM
What a fantastic way to begin a new year in!

BouncingBeatnik
2013-01-02, 10:18 AM

O, Susanna.

rewinn
2013-01-02, 11:19 AM
First GITP Forum Law: Every thread that lasts long enough will become about Miko, Vaarsuvius' gender and/or alignment, or what DnD rules were applied in a given scene in the comic..... :smallbiggrin:

DnD's "Detect Alignment" rules could be construed to let Miko know Vaarsuvius' gender... :smallamused:

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-02, 06:06 PM
The Digit Knight knows what V's sex is.

derfenrirwolv
2013-01-02, 06:15 PM
Welcome back!

Am I the only one that hears that to the tune of A pox on the phony king of england? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37bbj8HbM5I)

Riverdance
2013-01-02, 09:26 PM
Welcome back Giant! Thanks for the comic!

OverdrivePrime
2013-01-02, 09:47 PM
Love the subverted plot summary!
Welcome back (and Happy New Year), Giant! Glad to see that you continue to mend. Take your time healing - we've hundreds of episodes to re-read over and over again while you rehabilitate your wounded digit. :smallsmile:

pjackson
2013-01-03, 05:10 AM
I believe Elan figured it out when Tarquin was attacking everyone else, and then stopped at Elan, not harming his son. I think even Elan could figure that out.

No. Elan doesn't use deductive reasoning. But he does know and live by the rules of drama, and drama demands that the disguised fighter be Tarquin.

MartectX
2013-01-03, 06:10 AM
New comic left my teary-eyed! Great to have you back, Giant! :smallsmile:

Carry2
2013-01-03, 08:37 AM
DnD's "Detect Alignment" rules could be construed to let Miko know Vaarsuvius' gender... :smallamused:
That would be 'Detect Orientation'. Common mistake.

Dudu
2013-01-03, 06:26 PM
One good way to start 2013. Thanks Giant!

(The thumb part was priceless!)

Threadnaught
2013-01-03, 08:03 PM
Is it bad that I've only just got the thumb part as a nod to The Giant's injury? I mean literally, just before typing this.

Dang, that's some epic slowdown of mental faculties. :smallsigh:

Needle
2013-01-03, 08:52 PM
Got back from Holidays, and I'm so happy to see a new strip :smallbiggrin: Hope that thumb will progress even better than expected :smallsmile: regardless of new strip, personally I want a 100% healthy Rich :smalltongue:

Cheers!

Oscaver
2013-01-03, 11:53 PM
Too bad the brave thumb knight had no clerics to back him up on the scene of the battle. Don't risk solo campaigns, brave knight! Bring an adveturing party next time!

But really Giant, I am impressed. I came to the page looking forward to an update, but I got a wonderful suprise by the new clever strip. We will all wait this out with you, dont worry. OOTS us definitly worth the wait.

Oscaver
2013-01-04, 12:01 AM
Welcome back!

Am I the only one that hears that to the tune of A pox on the phony king of england? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37bbj8HbM5I)

I heard the simpsons power plant protest song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj5OT3z1VGA

Xelbiuj
2013-01-04, 08:09 AM
We're going to end up getting a recap of the recap aren't we? Ugh.

lol

Scactha
2013-01-04, 04:43 PM
Brave, brave Sir Thumb! Hooray for new comic.

AlhazTheRed
2013-01-04, 06:09 PM
I missed you so much! So flippin' happy right now! Congrats on the recovery Giant! Sorry for the overuse of exclamation points!

Elurindel
2013-01-04, 06:14 PM
I'm so glad to see you're posting comics again Rich!

Nephrahim
2013-01-05, 01:24 AM
Is it bad that I've only just got the thumb part as a nod to The Giant's injury? I mean literally, just before typing this.

Dang, that's some epic slowdown of mental faculties. :smallsigh:

You wanna hear worse? The first time I read the comic I literally didn't read that panel, just seeing the picture and the panel next to it and thinking "Oh Elan just said something stupid."

It wasn't until I checked the forums and saw them talking about a reference to the thumb I started wondering where it was... then I realized it was the panel I skipped.

Gift Jeraff
2013-01-05, 02:46 AM
You wanna hear worse? The first time I read the comic I literally didn't read that panel, just seeing the picture and the panel next to it and thinking "Oh Elan just said something stupid."

It wasn't until I checked the forums and saw them talking about a reference to the thumb I started wondering where it was... then I realized it was the panel I skipped.

You wanna hear even worse? I didn't even know the Giant had thumbs. I always thought he looked just like his avatar.

Dirtytabs
2013-01-05, 02:21 PM
I didn't expect the thumb bit at all. :smallbiggrin: Welcome back!

WindStruck
2013-01-05, 04:14 PM
:elan:
Bravely, bold Sir Digit
rode forth to draw a lot.
He was not afraid of knives,
oh, brave Sir Digit!
He was not at all afraid to be cut in nasty ways.
Brave, brave, brave, brave Sir Digit.
He was not in the least bit scared to be sliced into a pulp.
Or to have his nail pulled out,
and his phalanx broken.
To have his tendons split,
and his muscles burned away,
and his prints all hacked and mangled,
brave Sir Digit!
His joints smashed in,
and the bone cut out,
and the marrow removed,
and his veins unplugged,
and his nerve ends raked,
and his nail plates burned off,
and his cu--

:roy: Thats! That's, uh... that's enough music for now Elan!

Terbovus
2013-01-06, 07:32 AM

Someone else in the 230 posts before mine probably mentioned this, but I still can't find the comic that referenced the end of the Sopranos and I read it at the time and know what the guards were referencing. :smallsmile:

Great to have you back Giant!

DarioD
2013-01-07, 12:14 PM
What a good start to this year... good to have you back! Do take your time and make sure you are properly recovered, though!

Defiant
2013-01-07, 03:32 PM
I finally get the part about Sir Thumb :smallbiggrin: