PDA

View Full Version : Warlock Pirate

MicHag
2012-12-31, 09:01 AM
I was gathering ideas for a new character and i went back to look at one of my favorite classes, the Warlock.

So as i was browsing through the invocations i came across "Crawling Eye", a invocation never used by one of our players. I wrote it down and added wearing an eyepatch would be nice. Next invocation on the list was "Disembodied Hand" and then i realised i could replace that with a hook and i could make some kind of Pirate Mage.

What else can i add? Obtain Familiar (Parrot)

What about my Eldritch Blast? I would prefer it visually better fitting. I doubt firearms are available in the next campaign, they never were.
But what if this specific Warlock always had trouble aiming his Blasts, they always went all over the place. Through practise he found out that using a wooden wand, he could aim better, but even then his precision was not perfect. He created an iron tube to cover the tip of the wand, such that his blast would follow the direction of the tube all the time. This worked, but the wand was not easily grabbed out of his belt and it didn't feel quite comfortable in his hand, so he changed the way the wand would be held....
And there you have a pistol firing Eldritch Blasts (working only for Warlocks).
Not using the pistol to fire Blasts would give me a -5 penalty to attack rolls.
Would you allow this as a DM?

Does anyone have any other ideas to make this Warlock more Piratey? I prefer sticking to full Warlock.

Thanks

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-31, 10:10 AM
How about a custom Warlock's Scepter (MIC 63 or CM 145) shaped like a pistol - the butt end would be the mace end and the other end would be where your blasts come out? The +1 to hit with your blasts and occasional bonus damage that the item confers would certainly be welcome as well.

Zanthy1
2012-12-31, 10:17 AM
As a DM I would totally allow that, seems like a genius way to incorporate that, without making it to crazy. personally I would only give a -4 as apposed to the -5, but i think that is because of many house rules that I play with that generally give -2 or -4 penalties, so its just a familiar number to me.

Another thing to think of, pirates existed way before gunpowder did. Ancient pirates would use archery, maybe a large ballista at most, but were just as awesome without guns. You could totally rock the fantasy pirate warlock!

The invocation that increases distance I would recommend, especially i you are gonna be on boats. Instead of a cannon, or ballista, you have....you lol.

As for your familiar (Parrot), I would probably have it give you a +3 to intimidate, but that is only a quick answer, maybe something better will come around lol.

Fable Wright
2012-12-31, 11:00 AM
Oddly enough, Black Tentacles float on top of water. So, Chilling Tentacles may be your pirate's way of releasing Krakens upon your enemies.

Beguiling Influence might win you a loyal enough crew, Entropic Warding means that you're unlikely to get hit, The Dead Walk can let you wrangle up a nice skeleton crew, and Curse of Despair is a Pirate's curse. Spider climb might work, as it lets you climb up any any rope/surface, without having to put skill ranks into climb or effort into getting a decent Strength.

Shpadoinkle
2012-12-31, 11:34 AM
This is brilliant. I'm totally sticking this one in my idea journal.

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-31, 03:31 PM
Hammer blast eldritch essence from Complete Mage lets your warlock deal full damage to objects with his/her eldritch blast. Even at mid-levels, this can be extremely useful for ship-to-ship combat (target hull/mast of enemy ship, target cannons/siege weapons, etc).

Sugashane
2012-12-31, 11:30 PM
Hammer blast eldritch essence from Complete Mage lets your warlock deal full damage to objects with his/her eldritch blast. Even at mid-levels, this can be extremely useful for ship-to-ship combat (target hull/mast of enemy ship, target cannons/siege weapons, etc).

Nice point. The Eldritch Spear could be very useful with that, 3 levels of Hellfire Warlock, and Quicken Spell-like Ability. Have the cleric cast Divine Power (or Might?) and you get a couple good attacks in a round (varied damage due to how much Hellfire Blast used) from up to 250 ft away.

Twilightwyrm
2013-01-01, 05:02 AM
A friend of mine and I are currently engaged in a Savage Tides campaign, and he happens to be playing a Half-Orc Warlock I suspect will be looking to become a pirate of some sort. I will have to recommend some of these ideas to him.

Malroth
2013-01-01, 05:27 AM
Being an Elan and grabbing Psionic Shot will add in an additional stacking 2d6 damage on top of what your'e getting from hellfire warlock.

Erik Vale
2013-01-01, 08:09 AM
Heh. Imortal warlock pirates.
I remember the day when I thought it was cool to just be able to blast things unlimited times.

Socratov
2013-01-02, 05:19 AM
proposing hideous blow is hideous, but you could refluff eldritch glaive to a rather long cutlass. it would generate fabulous stories about your ghost sword which consists of the sprits of the ones fallen to your blade, held in check with the lamentations of their women... and if you go HFW, they shoudl beare ytour fiery wrath. also remember that Hellfire is unquenchable and thus works underwater on the hull of the ship.

Lonely Tylenol
2013-01-02, 06:47 AM
As a DM, I would totally allow this--more than that, I actually adore the idea enough to consider trying to fit it into my game. In particular, using The Dead Walk to create an undead crew, with Chilling Tentacles to summon forth Eldritch evils from the depths of the sea gives it a very "dread pirate" sort of feel. This fluff can be very easily married with the prospects of a Binder dip (for Naberius or whoever else you want) and Hellfire Warlock, and optionally Demonbinder, in order to create some very awesome Dread Pirate fluff (married with the fluff of these classes): a pirate who sold their soul for power and riches to so many different entities over the years that they can no longer keep up with all of them, who commands a fleet of the damned, always on the run from the otherworldly power brokers who have sought to claim their debt...

Zanthy1
2013-01-02, 10:46 AM
proposing hideous blow is hideous, but you could refluff eldritch glaive to a rather long cutlass. it would generate fabulous stories about your ghost sword which consists of the sprits of the ones fallen to your blade, held in check with the lamentations of their women...

I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!

Socratov
2013-01-02, 10:54 AM
I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!

feel free to use it in any way you deem honerable :smallamused:

BRC
2013-01-02, 11:04 AM
I'm away from my books, but if I recall, there is a warlock invocation or two that produces a cloud of smoke or fog.
There is also the story of the infamous pirate Blackbeard, who would put fireworks in his beard, standing on the deck with his face wreathed in fire and smoke.

Socratov
2013-01-02, 11:16 AM
I'm away from my books, but if I recall, there is a warlock invocation or two that produces a cloud of smoke or fog.
There is also the story of the infamous pirate Blackbeard, who would put fireworks in his beard, standing on the deck with his face wreathed in fire and smoke.

yes there is, name escapes me at the moment but I though it was obscuring mist (or at least like the spell)