PDA

View Full Version : tattooed Armor

chrisgray86
2012-12-31, 10:44 AM
I was wondering if anyone has used this. I had a few questions First how does it work is this by magic? Here is what I am wondering if we a placed in a jail cell that blocks the use of magic could I still use this to summon my armor? Is this practical for 3000 grand or is there something better that does about the same thing?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-31, 03:56 PM
I'm not familiar with this particular item but it is ringing a little bell in my memory.

If you tell me where to find it, I'll give it a once-over, provided it's in a book I have rather than one I've only seen.

chrisgray86
2012-12-31, 04:36 PM
I'm not familiar with this particular item but it is ringing a little bell in my memory.

If you tell me where to find it, I'll give it a once-over, provided it's in a book I have rather than one I've only seen.

I dont remember the book I think maybe magic item comp. but im not sure I went through a lot of books recently. but here is the description

Tattooed Armor: This magic enhancement is a tattoo that is placed on the chest of the buyer and the armor, it can be created as any symbol (usually a personal crest). The owner can place their hand on the tattoo (even through clothing) and will the armor over their body as a swift action.
The armor can disappear back into the tattoo by the owner placing his hand on the symbol and willing it as a free action. The owner gains no benefits when the armor is not out. The armor is designed specifically for the owner and provides maximum movement and therefore removes 2 check penalties and adds +1 to the max dexterity. Speed, weight, dexterity, and check penalties only apply whilst the armor is out, not when it is in the tattoo. Any other enchantments of the armor apply as long as the armor is out.
The owner of a tattoo may will any armor into his tattoo, it may then be willed out as above. Once you take the armor out of your tattoo it is classed as being designed specifically for you.

Jeraa
2012-12-31, 04:51 PM
If thats the one you are talking about, then its not from a book. Its a homebrew ability from D&D Wiki. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tattooed_Armor_%283.5e_Equipment%29)

As it is a magical enhancement, it is not available to use in an antimagic zone or similar area.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-31, 04:57 PM
If you have no need to conceal your armor, then it's cheaper than mithril for medium and heavy armors for a similar effect, and it should stack with that material if you're willing to shell out the gold.

It's probably not worth it for light armors since mithral is cheaper in that case and will probably completely mitigate the ACP on an armor who's max dex is already high enough you're not likely to bump into it.

If you do have a need to conceal your armor, however, it will prove invaluable, regardless of the armor's weight class.

Whether it's worth it or not depends on what your needs are.

I've got characters that'd jump right on it and other characters that would see it as an unnecessary luxury (read; a complete waste of gold)

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-31, 05:01 PM
If thats the one you are talking about, then its not from a book. Its a homebrew ability from D&D Wiki. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Tattooed_Armor_%283.5e_Equipment%29)

As it is a magical enhancement, it is not available to use in an antimagic zone or similar area.

Yikes.

Be extremely careful when drawing anything from D&Dwiki.

All the 3.X wikis are a hodgepodge of OGL content and homebrew of wildly varying quality, none of which is prominently, or even properly in many cases, labeled.

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-31, 05:03 PM
Ring of arming, from MIC, does a similar thing, but with some added versatility, but without the reduction in ACP and improved max dexterity. It takes up an item slot, but could be customized to combine with some other ring or to take up a different slot/no slot if you want to dump money into it.

I use it for tank characters switching between full plate and some lighter armour that could be slept in. Also nice for cosmetic changes at higher levels (one set for the fieldwork, one set for Sunday best).

chrisgray86
2012-12-31, 05:45 PM
Ok that really blows I didnt realize that that was homebrew

Jeraa
2012-12-31, 06:44 PM
Ok that really blows I didnt realize that that was homebrew

Yeah, that site in particular doesn't give much indication between official content and homebrew material. They need to label it better.