PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying a Magus

Dragvandil
2012-12-31, 02:02 PM
Hey all. For my new Pathfinder campaign we turned out to not have any arcane support, and I decided to take it up. I dont need a hand with Op*, and I do have an idea of how to RP him... but I figured I wanted to hear from some folks who already have Role played as a magus.

* I could use some feat recommendations though.

Pyron
2012-12-31, 02:40 PM
I just happen to be playing a Magus in a current pathfinder; although I'm still refining my role playing skills, I can share some insights.

The Magus is a martial fighter and an INT-based caster. They're versed in swordsmanship and military traditions but they have intellectual pursuits. I see them as smart fighters (someone like Roy), warrior poets or swordsman willing to use arcane tricks to their advantage (like Nale). My Magus, for example, writes poems and is someone who I envision as an arcane samurai.

A lot Magus archetypes (Kensai and Bladebound) empathize combat with a specific weapon, so you can role-play a strong bond with that weapon. To the Magus their blade is more than a simple tool, it's an extension of them.

Also, I try to think about how they became a magus. It's a good question to ask: where they picked up their fighting skills, and where they learned to cast magic. Are they are of a Magus order? Or did they start out as a fighter and picked up a few spells to help them fight?

As for suggested feats: Weapon Finesse / Dervish Dance, is a good combo for a dex-based Magus if you use the scimitar. Intensified Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/intensified-spell-metamagic) (with either of these (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-lineage) traits (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/wayang-spellhunter-minata) to go with Shocking Grasp). Spell Perfection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/spell-perfection), when you get to level 15. Other than that, you can't go wrong with Extra Arcane Pool (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/extra-arcane-pool) or Extra Arcana (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14454311#post14454311).

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-31, 02:52 PM
One thing thatvhas helped me with "tricky" characters is to create 3 traits (non-mechanical). Three simple sentences/phrases that give a clear idea of the character.

For a magus they could be:
My blade is my pride.
I'll do anything to get what I want.
Might makes right.

That would describe an authorative prideful warrior who doesn't care about the means as long as they get him to an end. He believes the strong must rule thr weak.

Dragvandil
2013-01-01, 01:32 PM
Lotta good insights from Pyron. I'm not familiar with his references sadly, but I got the jist of it. As far as archetype I'm looking at it a lot from the other direction, a Wizard who uses a sword (because sometimes the best answer is to just stab someone) like Gandalf (but leaning more on the warrior side then him obviously.)

He became a spell caster first, and adopted the sword as necessity (in either of his back-stories one of which is a cover.) being expected to know both in either case. (A ritually exiled prince sent out into the world to make his own. His cover being that he is the son of a noble that is actually dead.)

Dusk presents an interesting concept and something I was already thinking of a bit. Although Dusk's final was in a separate direction then where I am going with the character.

I like her first, though I'd adjust it and here is what I have come up with.

My blade, my mind, they are one.
Power and knowledge must be sought not idly hoped for.
The strong must be strong to protect the weak.

My idea for him is that he is between a fighter and a wizard not only in his skills but in his outlook. He sees the world in between both. Where as Wizards see the world from the distance of study and towers he sees it as being somewhat closer at hand, but not so direct and rooted in the now as warriors would.

Sound like I got it?

Dragvandil
2013-01-01, 06:02 PM
As for the feat I am looking at Dodge

Anderlith
2013-01-01, 07:27 PM
I play a Magus in a pathfinder game too, also the only arcanist. I'm part of the Pathfinders, tracking down interesting things for them. My character is an honorable warrior who uses magic in battle. He views it as a science, & just because he's academic it doesn't mean he doesn't want to increase his physical skills or his martial training. He wants to reach a perfect balance of mind & body, he eventually wants to go to the Starstone & become a god, too. So part Jedi, part Raistlin, part Indiana Jones is how I play him.

A Magus isn't just a powerful caster, they are masters of combat. They are the deadliest combatant a mortal can hope to become. How does that knowledge effect him? Does he view himself as a living weapon? A torch against the darkness? A magical thug? A swordsman that has unlocked a tactical advantage?

Dragvandil
2013-01-01, 07:49 PM
Love it. Thanks for the share.

Certified
2013-01-01, 07:49 PM
When taking a shot with the Magus I wanted to try something a little different. Using the Kensai Archetype unlike the core Magus they loose the ability to wear armour. Since without armour a Magus may look like a transitional Wizard, from outward appearance, not on paper, I thought I'd take the concept of mistaken identity a bit further. Selecting the Urumi, which she ore as a belt, as their weapon the character selected traits to add Bluff and Diplomacy as class skills and bout a tea set, hiding her spell book under the small table. The character focused on Feints and Trips in combat. In a fight though we did their level best to leave it to the rest of the party first and if/when she used magic or attacked I tried to keep her from being seen by the group, of if that couldn't be avoided make things appear accidental. By third level 2 of the players still hadn't figured out what the hell I was playing.

Dragvandil
2013-01-05, 12:55 PM
That.... is epic man.

Does anyone have thoughts on theHexcrafter? Rping it up as well as mechanical.