PDA

View Full Version : Virgins to the Night [WFRP] OOC



Pages : 1 [2] 3

Another_Poet
2013-05-30, 10:08 PM
Is this a new 100XP? Yippee it's like a birthday. :smallsmile:

No! Sorry for not being more clear :smallredface:

Thea just asked how XP works. I meant if she still has XP she hasn't spent then she can spend 100 to buy an advance.

When you guys earn XP I will be much more direct - it will usually be after you do something to drive the plot forward or resolve a challenge.

Tribe
2013-05-31, 01:14 AM
:amused:

All good.

Another_Poet
2013-06-02, 01:12 AM
Tranquil, you asked on FB if you could talk to Neil - yes, just make it clear it's a time split in your post. In fact, go ahead and edit it into the last post you made.

Tranquil
2013-06-04, 01:09 AM
Edited as requested. For the scene with Neil, rolling Charm ([roll0]) and Gossip ([roll1]).

Elodie's character sheet indicates decent scores for Weapon Skill and Ballistic Skill. I'm not entirely sure how to approach this from a role play perspective. Since Elodie was not much for following the rules as a child, perhaps she learned rather more about combat than her decision not to carry a weapon on the journey implies.

Another_Poet
2013-06-04, 09:41 AM
Elodie's character sheet indicates decent scores for Weapon Skill and Ballistic Skill. I'm not entirely sure how to approach this from a role play perspective. Since Elodie was not much for following the rules as a child, perhaps she learned rather more about combat than her decision not to carry a weapon on the journey implies.

Maybe you played with wooden swords a lot? Honestly though anything under a 50 isn't amazing for a human, and most untrained humans have scores in the 30s. It's really the lack of combat talents like Dodge Blow that will make it tough for you to last in a fight.

All:
Once again a jaunt on the road has made it harder than expected for me to update - I will respond to the gendarme situation tonight, but it looks like there's no clear consensus what the group is doing at the Garden. If you guys have an idea what you're doing I can update the whole group.

Or is it just "split up and wait"? Where does everyone want to wait at?

Tranquil
2013-06-05, 03:45 AM
[...] it looks like there's no clear consensus what the group is doing at the Garden. If you guys have an idea what you're doing I can update the whole group.

Or is it just "split up and wait"? Where does everyone want to wait at?

Elodie would like to bring someone with a weapon to wait with her in a walk-in mausoleum with a view of other parts of the Garden, preferably one with windows to observe graves in other directions.

Tribe
2013-06-05, 06:15 AM
Ren doesn't want to be there, but if he hears Elodie's plan he'll volunteer to go to the mausoleum too. He has a dagger and he could probably improvise a weapon, but his spear is back at the inn.

Another_Poet
2013-06-05, 09:24 AM
So Ren and Elodie at a mausoleum (windows unlikely) which would put them on the high ground along the back of the cemetery. Probably near the wall that borders the Lord's forest.

Where are Kurt and Aquin going?

-Sentinel-
2013-06-05, 09:37 AM
Remind me, is there a fence or wall around the cemetery? If so, Kurt will position himself not too far from the main entrance, where he can watch it. If not, he will wait in an area with somewhat richer-looking graves, despite the seeming absence of link between looking wealthy and having your grave robbed.

theherocc
2013-06-05, 10:25 AM
Aquin will head to a part of the graveyard that is equidistant from Kurt and the Elodie/Ren positions.

Another_Poet
2013-06-05, 04:36 PM
Remind me, is there a fence or wall around the cemetery?

Yes, on all three sides:

"the ancient graveyard... The front is enclosed with the solid, flat stone wall that runs along the road. The east end runs directly up against the town wall. And the third side is fenced by a more rustic, but still formidable field stone wall."

Mappy:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3136/kuselmapdetailgardenofm.jpg



If so, Kurt will position himself not too far from the main entrance, where he can watch it.

Near the front gate is that kind of nicely-gardened area where all the paths come together, with hemlocks and an old monument. I'll assume you're there?


Aquin will head to a part of the graveyard that is equidistant from Kurt and the Elodie/Ren positions.

That could be near the town wall, at the front corner of the cemetery. Work for you?

-Sentinel-
2013-06-05, 04:50 PM
Near the front gate is that kind of nicely-gardened area where all the paths come together, with hemlocks and an old monument. I'll assume you're there?
Yes. I'll hide in or behind the old monument, depending on whether it has a roof or is just a stone or statue thingy.

theherocc
2013-06-05, 07:39 PM
Sounds good to me.

Another_Poet
2013-06-06, 04:00 PM
Thanks guys. I've messaged Chris to see if she'll be re-joining us. If I don't hear from her tonight I will assume Lynn joins Kurt for Team Meatshield and then get us an update.

Unless anybody wanted to exchange more pleasantries with Danpur :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2013-06-07, 12:25 PM
To avoid double posting I've edited the last IC post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15371830#post15371830) with updates for all of you.

No word from Chris (her jobs have all her time), so I'll give her the weekend but autopilot her for now. I still hope she can re-join us, but if she doesn't we'll have to discuss how to handle it - I think Lynn is a great character, and I'd hate to unceremoniously write her out. I'm open to ideas.

Tranquil
2013-06-07, 05:36 PM
To avoid double posting I've edited the last IC post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15371830#post15371830) with updates for all of you.

No word from Chris (her jobs have all her time), so I'll give her the weekend but autopilot her for now. I still hope she can re-join us, but if she doesn't we'll have to discuss how to handle it - I think Lynn is a great character, and I'd hate to unceremoniously write her out. I'm open to ideas.

Nooo, I love Lynn! Could the character be forced to go on medical leave or something in case Chris comes back? What are other options?

Another_Poet
2013-06-08, 04:05 PM
Is the plan to stay awake all night (if needed) waiting for thieves?

Also, you saw nothing:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]



Nooo, I love Lynn! Could the character be forced to go on medical leave or something in case Chris comes back? What are other options?

Well, I'm still hoping she'll simply re-join us. Otherwise, options include

(a) Having another one of you run her (one player with two characters)
(b) Recruiting someone who finds the character interesting to take her over (I've seen this done)
(c) phasing her out

theherocc
2013-06-08, 04:16 PM
Is the plan to stay awake all night (if needed) waiting for thieves?

Also, you saw nothing:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]


Certainly, the plan is to stay awake as long as possible. Sleep during the day etc.

I don't understand what these rolls are for.

Another_Poet
2013-06-09, 12:30 PM
I don't understand what these rolls are for.

As it should be :smallsmile:

Working Third Shift

So, I'm going to divide the night into four equal watches:


10:00-Midnight
Midnight-02:00
02:00-04:00
04:00-06:00


Your characters have no idea if a thief will show up at all. If so, they don't know which watch it will happen during.

Attempting to stay awake all night will require a Toughness test for the 3rd and 4th watches. I can make those in secret if it comes up.

Successfully staying awake all night will impose a fatigue penalty tomorrow; also you cannot refresh Fortune points if you don't rest. For Lynn, healing may be also be affected.

If that changes your plan at all, let me know. And Tranquil, is Elodie attempting her necromancy yet or should I be doing a fast forward? Anything from Kurt/Aquin?

Tribe
2013-06-09, 10:54 PM
Ren will stay awake for the first few watches but then succumb to slumberland at about 3am. Hey, he's had a big day.

:smallamused:

Tribe
2013-06-09, 10:55 PM
Hey, Ren has Night Vision too. Cool.

And... does Aquin have a man-crush on Ren?

Tranquil
2013-06-09, 11:41 PM
Ren will stay awake for the first few watches but then succumb to slumberland at about 3am. Hey, he's had a big day.

:smallamused:

Ren and Elodie could sleep in shifts.

Elodie will respond if she sees or hears evidence of phantoms.

Tribe
2013-06-09, 11:54 PM
Ren would probably argue with Elodie about her having to stay up. He's still convinced she shouldn't be with them anyway. But despite his peasant-chivalry he'll fall asleep at 3am.

So, even if Elodie takes a shift, Ren won't sleep until 3am.

Tranquil
2013-06-10, 01:53 AM
Ren would probably argue with Elodie about her having to stay up. He's still convinced she shouldn't be with them anyway. But despite his peasant-chivalry he'll fall asleep at 3am.

So, even if Elodie takes a shift, Ren won't sleep until 3am.

Elodie will protest at first, then (barring appearances by phantoms/thieves/zombie hordes/picturesque beggars) get bored, accept the chivalrous gesture, and fall asleep on one of the benches by 12. She will insist that Ren wake her and pass over the dagger if he starts to feel sleepy.

All subject to change if anything exciting happens.

We're totally going to get killed, right?

Tribe
2013-06-10, 04:05 AM
If we do get killed then at least that'll be a warning to all future adventurer types.

KEEP OUT OF GRAVEYARDS.

Another_Poet
2013-06-11, 03:00 PM
To move things along, I will assume Kurt intends to stay on watch all night - seems more like him. Gabe, if you disagree we can change it. (edit: snoozes either way!)

The tests to stay awake are Very Easy (+30).

3rd watch Toughness check [roll0]
4th watch Toughness check [roll1]

Matt also told me Aquin will try to stay awake:

3rd watch Toughness check [roll2]
4th watch Toughness check [roll3]

edit: Sleepy time! If either of you wants to FP that, go ahead and reroll.

Also,
[roll4]

theherocc
2013-06-11, 03:10 PM
Aquin will reroll with a Fortune Point.

[roll0]

Second, in case you want me to reroll the second.

[roll1]

And Aquin just worries a bit that Ren is going to get himself killed.

theherocc
2013-06-11, 03:11 PM
Brilliant.

Another_Poet
2013-06-11, 03:19 PM
Second, in case you want me to reroll the second.

The second (4th shift) roll was a success, because it was Very Easy (target 67 instead of 37).

Unfortunately it doesn't matter, since the first was still a fail. Snoozey snooze.

Everyone: You can awake as you see fit, and you all regain your Fortune Points plus one (1) Wound, if needed.

-Sentinel-
2013-06-11, 04:57 PM
I'll Fortune-Point that test. Kurt takes his duties seriously.

Target 61: [roll0]

Edit: ...relatively speaking.

Another_Poet
2013-06-11, 08:12 PM
Kurt takes his duties seriously.

Target 61: [roll0]

Edit: ...relatively speaking.

:smallbiggrin:

Guys! I finally made you a cemetery map. Like, a legitsies one.

Darker color indicates higher elevation:

Kusel's Garden of Morr

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7082/kuselcemeterymap.jpg


And if you want to know where your respective posts were last night:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/9445/kuselcemeterymapposts.png


I will add the map to the second post of this thread.

Tranquil
2013-06-12, 03:36 AM
Once we're finished for the morning in the Garden, Elodie would like to buy a sword that reminds her of a grown-up, lethal version of the wooden one she had as a child. I have no idea what weapon prices will be.

She will be headed to the wharf looking for a fence like a total sketcher, so I guess there could be options available if she wants to support the black market.

I would also like to talk to Grigor about the possibility of interviewing the phantoms.

Tribe
2013-06-12, 03:48 AM
If Elodie gets a sword, Ren will make sure he gets one too. :smallsmile:
With that in mind, he'll accompany her if no one objects (eg. Kurt!)

Tranquil
2013-06-12, 04:00 AM
If Elodie gets a sword, Ren will make sure he gets one too. :smallsmile:
With that in mind, he'll accompany her if no one objects (eg. Kurt!)

They could practice dueling and perhaps slightly hurt themselves or each other without meaning to. Kurt can never know!! As far as he's concerned, Elodie is a master swordswoman.

Another_Poet
2013-06-12, 10:33 AM
The listed price for a basic sword (under Hand Weapon) is 10 gc in the rulebook. YMMV.


...his rather vivid dream where he and Sarie were riding across a bright white desert on white horses.

White desert scenes use black horses for a more dramatic visual contrast :elan:

Walking the grounds: If there are specific areas you decide to check over, feel free to roll Perception checks for each one (more than one person can check the same area). This might take mere minutes (checking a particular grave) or much longer (combing a whole area).

Tranquil
2013-06-12, 03:56 PM
What do we know from our efforts in the village yesterday? Does anyone feel that we have promising leads, or was the day mostly a wash? Aquin can check in with the boy he hired, and Elodie can try to learn something from the shady wharf people. Am I missing anything?

10 GC for a simple sword?! Perhaps she will get a less expensive weapon and a harp, and save up for a sword. I wonder if Grigor might have a weapon to lend. Or maybe she could pay a visit to the benefactor Grigor mentioned, and, if the visit goes well, try to borrow something or coax a sponsorship. We aren't supposed to let him in on our mission in the Garden, though, right? Perhaps she wants to be armed for self-protection during the festival? We know Küsel can be a dangerous place at this time of year--Elodie's necklace was stolen, after all!

We're still a few days away from the start of the festival, right?

Another_Poet
2013-06-12, 04:55 PM
If you guys want to spend 20-30 minutes searching the eastern edge of the cemetery, feel free to roll Perception checks.


10 GC for a simple sword?!

Most basic weapons will be lumped under the generic "hand weapon" category for the same price. (A dirk seems fitting for Elodie.) You can look over Melee Weapons table for options that might be cheaper.

I could imagine a nice peasant cudgel (http://joeflashedme.com/crpg/items/1h/cudgel.jpg) going for less.


We're still a few days away from the start of the festival, right?

Correct.


What do we know from our efforts in the village yesterday? Does anyone feel that we have promising leads, or was the day mostly a wash? Aquin can check in with the boy he hired, and Elodie can try to learn something from the shady wharf people. Am I missing anything?

I definitely encourage you guys to discuss this, and what you know/don't know. Feel free to use the OOC thread.

Tranquil
2013-06-12, 10:57 PM
If you guys want to spend 20-30 minutes searching the eastern edge of the cemetery, feel free to roll Perception checks.

Perception [roll0]

Tranquil
2013-06-12, 10:59 PM
Not to brag or anything, but I forgot how to roll dice.

Perception [roll0]

-Sentinel-
2013-06-13, 07:24 AM
Not to brag or anything, but I forgot how to roll dice.

Perception [roll0]
Likewise. Perception 31: [roll0]

Edit: Just remembered I don't even have Perception, so the target number should have been 15. Not that it changes anything, but I'm starting to realize just how useless Kurt is outside combat.

Another_Poet
2013-06-13, 03:28 PM
Tranquil, if you can note your target number whenever you roll, it will save me looking it up. Looks like you made it!

Everyone: I've made a GM executive decision. Several characters have a checklist of places to go and things to do, and I'm asking that you do them all as a group. We have less players and the pace has been inconsistent - if we keep you all together there will be more chances to react to each other, and less waiting while one person explores.

If anyone has a strong reason to keep separate, speak up now; I'll at least entertain it. Otherwise, this seems like a way to build some party unity.

(Note this doesn't mean you can't split up in the future; just that it'll help us tackle this to-do list quickly and with more roleplay.)

Tranquil
2013-06-14, 01:04 AM
Danpur said something about laying some of the disinterred bones to rest in the ossuary, didn't he? Why wouldn't he just rebury them?

Another_Poet
2013-06-14, 09:19 AM
He gave a reason here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15130561#post15130561). For more details you'd have to ask him.

Tranquil
2013-06-16, 04:52 AM
Elodie specified that it would take a skilled person to scale the wall, but I don't actually know if that's true. How high up is the hole? Does it look like it would take much strength or agility to climb to and from it?

theherocc
2013-06-16, 10:42 AM
Is it fair to assume that each of us can think back over the last couple of days to remember anyone wearing blue in a way that makes it think it was normal? Like a uniform or cloak etc. Without a search function here, it's tough to scan back.

Another_Poet
2013-06-16, 11:25 AM
How high up is the hole? Does it look like it would take much strength or agility to climb to and from it?

One would need to climb approx. 15 feet, using vines and weather-worn stone blocks as handholds.


Is it fair to assume that each of us can think back over the last couple of days to remember anyone wearing blue in a way that makes it think it was normal? Like a uniform or cloak etc.

Of the people you have met so far, none were specifically called out as dressed in blue.

I believe it has been noted that blue is one of the colors of Talassa. So women wearing blue festival dresses are increasingly common, and maidens have a custom of wearing a blue ribbon or flower on one ankle for handsome young men to try to steal. (I assume Ren has 8 of them.)

Tribe
2013-06-17, 12:32 AM
(I assume Ren has 8 of them.)

BUSTED! Okay, it was me, ME I tell you!

:smallfurious:

Tranquil
2013-06-17, 01:55 AM
I want to know more about Talassa. Küsel is said to have wild celebrations for it, but what does that mean, exactly? Wild enough that it could have devolved into disinterring bodies before Talassa even starts?

I suppose the passage of time in-game will answer my festival questions soon enough.

Another_Poet
2013-06-17, 10:25 PM
What does Grigor know about the statue's maker: [roll0]

edit: apparently quite a lot!

double edit: yes, Thea I will leave that for you to explore in-game :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2013-06-19, 01:44 PM
Thea is moving this week, so Elodie may not be very active. Can the rest of you keep the scene moving?

Tranquil
2013-06-19, 09:43 PM
double edit: yes, Thea I will leave that for you to explore in-game :smallsmile:

Just wondering out loud in the hopes of starting an OOC conversation about theories and strategies, as you suggested.

This is a drive-by message, as I will indeed be busy thru Friday and possibly part of next week as well.

A friend of mine is looking for a game to join--her first online RP in 12 years, so she is new to these forums and has no contacts here other than me. Does anyone happen to know of a promising game starting here soon?

theherocc
2013-06-19, 09:45 PM
What about taking over from our injured character?

As for strategy. I think we should head out of town to check if anyone got us some information. Then we could go see the smart elf in town to ask about the blue cloth.

Another_Poet
2013-06-20, 09:17 AM
What about taking over from our injured character?

I thought of that, but Chris would like the option of coming back in 2 months and I won't give away her character without her permission.

(The main recruiting thread for other games is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257854&page=5), if that helps. I may be running a Final Fantasy d6 game in the future, and would invite her to that, but it could be a ways off still.)

And yes, by all means brainstorm and talk strategy here; but note that Grigor is still waiting for a response. It has been more than 2 days for all characters.

Tranquil
2013-06-22, 02:22 AM
It feels like our collective to-do list is too long.

When we want our characters to rest if we're going back to the Garden tonight?

Ren and Aquin have leads from yesterday to follow up on. We can do those errands before going to the dock and speaking to the constable, since if those pan out we might not even need to continue Elodie's necklace plan.

Elodie needs to buy a dirk, go to the docks and discreetly ask around about older stolen goods, then report the theft of the necklace.

Does the dirk purchase need to be role-played, or can she just see a stall with decent merchandise somewhere on the street and buy it?

Another_Poet
2013-06-22, 04:40 PM
Does the dirk purchase need to be role-played, or can she just see a stall with decent merchandise somewhere on the street and buy it?

It can be handled pretty quickly, I imagine - I'm happy to handwave it and tell you what's available for what prices w/o going into detail, when we get there.


Rolling Perception to try to detect if Grigor is deliberately witholding information.

There's nothing akin to Sense Motive in this game system, and I believe that's by design. I could tell you whether someone seems tense or has some suspicious tick, which may indicate lying (or not).

I'm not sure whether that would be Perception, or if it would be better as one of the social skills - would love opinions from our experienced Warhammer players?

Another_Poet
2013-06-26, 11:29 AM
Thea is moving, so we're waiting on a post from the other group members. Guys?

Also, I'd love opinions on this:


I could tell you whether someone seems tense... I'm not sure whether that would be Perception, or if it would be better as one of the social skills

Another_Poet
2013-06-30, 05:17 PM
Thanks for posting guys, and I am working on an update for tonight.

-Sentinel-
2013-06-30, 08:58 PM
I'm not sure whether that would be Perception, or if it would be better as one of the social skills - would love opinions from our experienced Warhammer players?
I think Perception would do. Or perhaps an opposed Fellowship vs. Perception test.

Another_Poet
2013-06-30, 11:18 PM
Thanks Sentinel.

Internet failure here - update Monday instead.

Another_Poet
2013-07-02, 03:25 PM
Most of you probably heard that I have an unexpected (but welcome) sidequest ahead of me. I'll be leaving for the Dominican Republic for two months, then return to the US and continue my bicycle trip where I left off.

I leave Thursday in the morning. I can manage an update Wednesday, if you guys post by then.

Once I'm settled in DR I expect to have regular internet and keep running the game, but there may be 1d3 days where I can't post while I travel/find a home.

Also: I believe your planned destinations are,

See the Strighany (check)
Talk to Hyras (or Hylas)
Shop for weapons
Check wharf area for stolen goods
Elodie wants to meet with Gruber
Possibly report a stolen necklace


Any particular order to these things?

Tranquil
2013-07-06, 10:26 PM
Elodie would like to buy a light sword (maybe a sabre since the hand guard would appeal to her). She may settle for a dirk if the sword prices do not suit her. I am out of town and brought only my phone, so I don't have the player's handbook here to consult prices.

Am I correct in assuming that one needs Haggling as a skill in order to be able to Haggle? And, uh, does anyone who isn't totally, irreconcilably opposed to a lady carrying a weapon happen to have Haggle?

Elodie does want to report the stolen necklace. Can anyone think of questions for whoever we report it to that could help us gather information without going against Grigor's wishes and showing our hand? It's still strange to me that he doesn't think he could trust even the constable to be discreet...though I suppose we could be asking ourselves out of a job, if we did mention the truth to local law enforcement.

It may be a long shot, but I wonder if there has been any strange digging on the hill that's sacred to the god and goddess who ran away together. If there's a search for a possible relic of Sigmar in the Garden, perhaps the other purportedly sacred local site is being visited by an amateur archeologist as well.

I also wonder if the blue fabric we found is a disguise since it's common here during the festival, or if the person wearing it is wearing it for religious reasons.

Another_Poet
2013-07-08, 08:04 AM
Haggle can be done untrained but your Fellowship is halved.

A sabre would be grouped with rapiers in Warhammer, which are part of the Fencing group of specialist weapons. If you don't have the Specialist Weapons: Fencing talent (you don't), then your Weapon Skill will be halved when using one.

Rapiers (sabres) go for 18 gc. Taffitt can get you one for 10 gc, but it's of Poor quality (up to you whether Elodie notices this).

Otherwise, you could choose a more basic sword with a heavier blade, that happens to have a handle similar to the saber one you like - let's call it a broadsword (http://blogs.princeton.edu/graphicarts/2012/03/the_highland_broad_sword.html). It would go for 10 gc (11 without Haggling).

A dirk would also go for 10 gc. It's smaller than a sword but not especially concealable (though socially acceptable to wear in town).

I'll let the others dig into your other juicy ideas :smallsmile:

-Sentinel-
2013-07-08, 06:57 PM
A miner's pick costs only 1 gc and counts as a hand weapon, but it strikes me as very un-Elodie-y.

Another_Poet
2013-07-09, 09:16 AM
Good point. If the book is handing out 1 gc hand weapons, consider the price of a dirk to be less - let's say 5 gc (4 with haggling). Cudgels also cost less than 10, with price depending on how finely carved and polished it is.

Also, we need IC posts. <pokes with stick>

Tranquil
2013-07-10, 08:16 PM
Good point. If the book is handing out 1 gc hand weapons, consider the price of a dirk to be less - let's say 5 gc (4 with haggling). Cudgels also cost less than 10, with price depending on how finely carved and polished it is.

Also, we need IC posts. <pokes with stick>

'K, I'm going for a dirk. Haggling: [roll0]

edited to add: does that roll count for both Sevik Iron and Duarves?

Another_Poet
2013-07-10, 09:50 PM
It'd be better to specify where you're haggling first, since they have different potential effects.

I'll assume the first one was Sevik. If you don't like the price, feel free to roll again for the dwarves.

Tranquil
2013-07-11, 01:59 AM
Haggling with Duarves: [roll0]

Tribe
2013-07-17, 08:03 AM
Did Aquin just walk out right at the moment when we had a lead?
What-the??

theherocc
2013-07-17, 08:13 AM
Was that a lead? Seemed like a dead end.

Another_Poet
2013-07-17, 09:57 PM
So does this mean you are done at the wharves? Where to next?


See the Strighany
Talk to Hyras (or Hylas)
Shop for weapons
Check wharf area for stolen goods
Elodie wants to meet with Gruber
Possibly report a stolen necklace



Side note: Thea came to me with a request. Originally she chose to start without a hand weapon (free for all characters) on RP grounds. Instead an extra hand weapon was placed among Kurt's things. At the time, she had no idea that Kurt would be anti-women-fighting, and now that she has to buy a hand weapon she felt as if she was being penalized for her RP choice.

None of this is a gripe against Kurt - well roleplayed, Sentinel - but I wanted to address it. So we've agreed the game world owes her a hand weapon which will come into her possession in the near future. Just wanted y'all to know I'm not playing favorites.

Another_Poet
2013-07-20, 05:43 PM
Players: I can't read your silence.

If you agree with Elodie it's time to go to Gruber's, please either reply IC or post here to say you're good with skipping forward.

Tribe
2013-07-20, 06:49 PM
Yeah, let's see Gruber and then head over to Hylas/Hyras.

Matt might be quiet because he's finishing up his holiday in Australia... think he gets back to USA on your Wednesday???

Another_Poet
2013-07-21, 08:36 AM
Thanks for letting me know!

I should have an update today. Matt, feel free to time-split to answer Ren once you're back.

Ben, I don't think Elodie bought the weapon.

theherocc
2013-07-22, 03:19 AM
Fellowship roll. [roll0]

theherocc
2013-07-22, 03:20 AM
Fortune point roll. [roll0]

theherocc
2013-07-22, 03:21 AM
Fortune point reroll. [roll0]

theherocc
2013-07-22, 03:29 AM
Perception Test - [roll0]

Another_Poet
2013-07-22, 03:34 AM
Success. Aquin only:

Notices that his hand doesn't go to clutch himself in pain - not exactly. He does seem to be in pain, but he's fidgeting with his belt or trousers as if to rearrange them.

Others can still roll Perception. If you make it, feel free to read that spoiler.

Tribe
2013-07-22, 04:51 AM
Perception roll, because it'd be fun to roll some dice again!

[roll0]

Tribe
2013-07-22, 05:01 AM
This didn't work in the regular forum so I'll post it here:

Ren will roll another Perception roll, focusing on Gruber's outward health - his skin and eyes - from across the room. [roll0] He will also roll Appraise to see how much the small statuettes near him might be worth... [roll1] If one catches his eye he might attempt to pocket it.

-Sentinel-
2013-07-22, 11:04 PM
Real sorry for the lack of posting, I'll try to catch up when I have time.

Untrained Perception 15: [roll0]

Another_Poet
2013-07-23, 10:39 AM
Thanks Sentinel, will be glad to have you back.

Matt is finishing up 40 hours of flights. Thea, you're approaching the 2 day mark - we're waiting on you.

theherocc
2013-07-25, 03:08 PM
I'm back.

Any chance the roll feature on here is rigged to add 50 to all rolls?

theherocc
2013-07-26, 11:30 PM
"Everything Aquin is not.." Boring, ugly, bad in bed.

Another_Poet
2013-07-27, 12:00 AM
:smalltongue:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Let's see if the forum adds 50 for the GM....

theherocc
2013-07-27, 02:28 AM
I missspoke. It adds 40. [roll0]

Another_Poet
2013-07-27, 06:09 AM
I'll be taking a bus public minivan around rural DR the next three days but hopefully still checking in.

If you decide you're done with Hyras give me an indication where you want to go next, either ic or ooc.

-Sentinel-
2013-07-27, 08:38 AM
"You there!" Hyras calls to Ren. "How long is three years in human time?"
Does the Earth revolve around the Sun differently for Elves than it does for humans? :smalltongue:

Poet, the link to the OOC thread you put up at the start of the IC thread doesn't work for me.

Another_Poet
2013-07-27, 10:43 PM
Does the Earth revolve around the Sun differently for Elves than it does for humans? :smalltongue:

:smallamused:


Poet, the link to the OOC thread you put up at the start of the IC thread doesn't work for me.

Fixed! Let me know if it still doesn't work.

Also, you know about the thread subscriptions page, right? (giantitp.com/forums/subscription.php (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/subscription.php)). Shows all your subscribed threads in one handy place.

theherocc
2013-07-28, 10:07 PM
I bet everyone is enjoying these posts that say, "Elven. Spoiler."

Another_Poet
2013-07-29, 07:55 AM
Good point. Do the rest of you have a destination? Let me know and I'll do a split.

Tribe
2013-07-29, 07:46 PM
Ren wouldn't mind looking around the town outside the wall, to find a good spot for the night's vigil.

But he's happy enough to stay and watch Aquin and Hylas.

Another_Poet
2013-07-29, 08:32 PM
Ren wouldn't mind looking around the town outside the wall, to find a good spot for the night's vigil.

But he's happy enough to stay and watch Aquin and Hylas.

Sure. When you say outside the wall, do you mean inside the cemetery? The two border each other - check the map in the second post of this thread.

Tribe
2013-07-29, 09:46 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of watching from the place outside the cemetery where the person who left the blue strip of fabric would have climbed from. It's an excuse for Ren to keep watch but not from inside the scary cemetery.

Another_Poet
2013-07-30, 09:13 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of watching from the place outside the cemetery where the person who left the blue strip of fabric would have climbed from. It's an excuse for Ren to keep watch but not from inside the scary cemetery.

So you mean inside the town and/or on top of the town wall?

I can include that in the next update. Is anybody going with him?

Tranquil
2013-07-30, 10:29 AM
Did we sleep, other than at the graveyard? Elodie wants to rest so she'll be more alert at night. What time is it in-game?

Does anyone think it could mean something that the thieves are stealing from an ancient site while wearing a sacred color? The fabric was too heavy for summer clothes--could the intruders be from out of town, or wearing winter-weight fabric to stay warm at night, or do their garments have religious significance beyond Talassa?

Question for Grigor: Why, exactly, is the Garden a holy site of Morr?

I wonder if we should look for a local historian.

Another_Poet
2013-07-30, 11:23 AM
Did we sleep, other than at the graveyard? Elodie wants to rest so she'll be more alert at night. What time is it in-game?

No one took the time to rest - you all got about 4 hours' sleep.
It's presently late afternoon.

Also, Matt:
Does Aquin intend to share everything Hyras tells him? If so I'll just let the others read the Elven spoilers for now. If not, no worries - withholding information is completely up to you :smallamused:

Tranquil
2013-07-30, 01:58 PM
No one took the time to rest - you all got about 4 hours' sleep.
It's presently late afternoon.


So there's enough time to go back to the inn and sleep for a few hours before the graveyard shift. Elodie opts to do that.

Another_Poet
2013-07-30, 04:46 PM
Great. I've edited updates for everyone into the last IC post.

theherocc
2013-07-30, 09:36 PM
graveyard shift.

I see what you did there.

I'm fine with people reading the elf conversation.

Also, Aquin will be heading to sleep as soon as he's solved the case. Should be a few minutes.

Another_Poet
2013-07-30, 10:23 PM
Everyone: Feel free to go back and read this chunk of "Elven" spoilers. Matt has essentially told me that Aquin intends to share everything, so this just saves us a bunch of IC repetition.

Ben: I'll be up and able to do a morning update (on my end) by 22:30 your time. In other words, if you post between now and then I can reply before you go to sleep (if you're able to do a quick nighttime check-in). That would, potentially, allow us to get everyone back together.

Another_Poet
2013-07-31, 12:03 PM
Team Huddle

Okay, time for some news. While Sentinel is here and nominally running Kurt, he's told me that his new job has him cutting back on online games, and he's looking to bow out of Kurt.

That puts us down to three players (which is small). Plus, I feel like it would be a shame to write Kurt out completely - he's an interesting character, he adds much-needed melee muscle to the team, and he has a combined background with Elodie.

That means I'm considering something unorthodox. What if we recruited a new player who took over Kurt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6HYXTyrZLfM&t=42)?

Sentinel said he's fine with this, but I wanted to ask all of you. It has its risks - I'd worry that the new player wouldn't feel "at home" in a character they didn't make themselves, and on the other hand I'd worry about continuity. But with that said, Kurt has never really been fleshed out much so there's room to play with.

What do you all think? Alternatives are writing out Kurt completely and either bringing in a new character or just staying at 3 people.

theherocc
2013-07-31, 07:46 PM
I think 3 players can help. It will speed things up, allow the three characters to spend time together and bond, and allow you to concentrate on a small group.

Tranquil
2013-07-31, 10:45 PM
Without him the entire party will be in much more danger in fights. With only three players the game itself would be in more danger of dying. At least one of us always seems to be busy and not posting as much, or not posting at all.

Elodie's conduct and personality would change without Kurt.




That puts us down to three players (which is small). Plus, I feel like it would be a shame to write Kurt out completely - he's an interesting character, he adds much-needed melee muscle to the team, and he has a combined background with Elodie.

Another_Poet
2013-08-01, 11:29 AM
So far a split vote. I agree that a larger group is more likely to hang together than a smaller one - our pace so far has been hampered by not enough active players, not too many. We'll wait and see what Ben says.

Speaking of, the IC thread is waiting on him. I've messaged him, and I'm now heading out for another of those days-in-a-van-that-looks-like-a-TRex-victim trips around the country (this time plus boats!). Questionable wifi. If he hasn't posted by next time I check in I'll just force his action.

Tribe
2013-08-01, 06:34 PM
I've got a cold. :(

As for Kurt, I could see Elodie growing a bit more with him suddenly abandoning her. We could get a fourth player who is a 'fighter type'.

But I don't mind either way.

theherocc
2013-08-01, 08:32 PM
The fighting part depends on how much Drew plans to have us fight. Warhammer is a pretty deadly game - Aquin won't be drawing swords too often.

Another_Poet
2013-08-02, 07:00 AM
I've got a cold. :(

No fun! I'm sorry to hear that. Definitely don't feel pressured to post when you're sick, though if you can manage sending a quick message to tell us, I'll know not to hold scenes for you.


As for Kurt, I could see Elodie growing a bit more with him suddenly abandoning her.

It's not in character for Kurt to suddenly leave without her, so I'd have to find some more forceful way to write him out. (Or Elodie could tell him off, if that's her cup of tea, and tell him to leave :smalleek: )

So, good news: we have a fan who's been reading this game since it began. I've seen his RP in another game and it seems good, plus he said he can commit to long-term play.

So my thought is I will give him the option of taking over Kurt and see how he feels about it. If the group approves?

Tribe
2013-08-02, 06:57 PM
Sure, no problems here.

Tranquil
2013-08-02, 11:03 PM
Definitely--bring on the new Becky Kurt.

Sentinel, if you're reading this (and even if you aren't), thanks for journeying with us over these months. You will be missed.

Another_Poet
2013-08-03, 08:55 AM
Note: the pacing in the IC thread is pretty much up to you guys until you indicate you want to head somewhere else. Don't wait for an update for me to say that, for instance, Ren wakes up from his nap or anything.


Definitely--bring on the new Becky Kurt.

Cool! Although, I should add: I don't know if he'll want to take over an existing character or not. I'm offering Kurt and we'll see what he says.

Aberratio, if you want to introduce yourself, feel free to post :smallsmile:

aberratio ictus
2013-08-04, 05:27 AM
Hello there -

Many thanks again to the Poet for inviting me, and my compliments to all of you for your game, which does make an interesting and entertaining read.

However, to be perfectly honest, I don't really feel comfortable taking over an existing character.
I've done it before in other games, and in my experience, it doesn't end well. I do like Kurt and playing somebody like him would be right up my alley in principle, but knowing me, there is bound to be some alternative character interpretation on my part, and if the other players think Kurt would never act the way I play him, it isn't much fun for anybody.

So I'd have to decline. I'm sorry, but there's been some quite bad experiences.

Of course, I do understand if you want a player who takes over Kurt, and I personally agree that it would be a shame to let him go to waste. It should be Tranquil's call, really, as Elodie and Kurt are quite stongly intertwined.

Another_Poet
2013-08-04, 07:39 AM
Well, I intended that you would have free rein to take Kurt in a new direction as much as you wanted to, but I can understand your point.

If I may, you're the second person who's told me that taking over an existing player can end badly. While I knew it was unusual, I didn't expect it to lead to problems. Any chance you could share what happened the last time you tried it? I was going to open up the Kurt casting to other players if you didn't take him :smalleek:

aberratio ictus
2013-08-04, 02:33 PM
By all means, open him up to others, I wouldn't advise against that. It is just that I personally am something of a burnt child in that regard, and I'd rather not risk it another time.

I doubt you would gain anything from hearing the whole story; let's just say that there was a lot of passive-aggressiveness, unpleasant discussions and arguments. The others simply weren't comfortable with how I played that character, and thus, I wasn't either. In the end, I had the choice of having every decision made by group effort or leaving, so I took the latter.

Mind you, I don't intend to imply I think ill of the other players here, in fact, the group of the above fiasco I considered close friends back then, I knew them in real life, and most of them are still friends of mine. I'm not even saying they were wrong.

There is just something about playing a pre-existing character that is hard for me to do. For lack of a better analogy, think of it as playing Frodo in a generic campaign in a LotR setting. Nobody bats an eye at something knight # 22 does there, but whatever the Frodo player does, there is bound to be somebody who thinks it's not what "the real" Frodo would do. It's not the player's character, it's Tolkien's character, and any other player is just as removed from him as is the player portraying him.
It's mostly a subconscious thing, I suppose.

That's just me, though. I wouldn't be surprised if it simply works when you find another player for Kurt.

Tranquil
2013-08-04, 03:27 PM
Aghhh, the forum just ate a long post. Let me try to reconstruct.

Aberratio, welcome! I'm sorry your past experience with piloting a character created by someone else went so badly. I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to be in a similar situation. Please don't take what I'm about to say as a sales pitch for why you should take over Kurt, because you have every reason not to be comfortable with that. These are my thoughts on the situation in general.

If another character wanted to take over Kurt and keep him pretty much the same, that would be fine. That said, I can see many, many reasons why he could suddenly start acting like a different person. He's young, still very much an adolescent by the standards of modern society, and he has recently been through the traumas of questioning his parentage, being kicked out of his own well-to-do family, and forced to join a paramilitary religious order. Kurt has always tried to do the right thing in his life up till now. Those are the kinds of people who, when faced with adversity in early adulthood, can sometimes go overboard with acts of rebellion and explorations of new ways of living. (This is just one example of a new direction Kurt could go in and what the rationale could be.)

If a new player wanted it, we could even give Kurt a strong impetus to start to change before the new person posted IC. Character change over the course of a narrative is a hallmark of good fiction. That said, I think we'd also welcome a Kurt who was taken up and carried forward as more or less the same person he's always. It's totally up to the new player, if there is one.

Another old chestnut of writing advice goes something like this: most stories, at their core, can be boiled down to, "A character wants something, and they either get it or they don't." I don't feel like I know quite what Kurt wants. Perhaps it is just to continue his stoic service of Morr and protection of his cousin. It's also possible Kurt has other motives that the character may not even be aware of yet. All of that is, of course, at the discretion of the new player.

To me, this type of RP seems like improv comedy in that it's driven by an attitude of "Yes, and..." (See the second paragraph here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvisational_theatre#Structure_and_process) for more on that.) We don't tell each other how to pilot our characters. Elodie, being Elodie, might offer guidance, make requests and, err, prompt other characters to pretend to be mentally slow (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14829108&postcount=204) in the other thread. That's meant as an invitation to RP, though, and is not something I would do OOC under any circumstances I can think of.

theherocc
2013-08-04, 06:32 PM
I'm happy to go any direction with Kurt.

Back to the game - I had the impression everyone was going to bed and then heading back to the cemetery when we woke up. Correct me if we have more time than that.

Another_Poet
2013-08-04, 06:36 PM
Back to the game - I had the impression everyone was going to bed and then heading back to the cemetery when we woke up. Correct me if we have more time than that.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. But you have time to chat, conspire, plan, scheme and share info if needed; I'm waiting on you guys to decide what to do. If you all just want to race to the cemetery, let me know.

Another_Poet
2013-08-04, 08:33 PM
Double posting to get back to the Matter of Kurt.

First off, while I won't oppose Tranquil's attempt to sway you, Aberratio, please don't feel pressured. By the way, thanks for the explanation you offered - that helps me understand the issue a lot better and I can totally see how that sucked.

I'm open to bringing you into the game in some other way. I also had in mind offering you Lynn*, but I suspect that would be the same issue as Kurt, or potentially even Rudo - and Rudo may be a different story.

*Chris has now told me she's gone for good, and given her blessing to handing off the character

Other than sleeping through the first scene and saying he was afraid of turtles (which I'm ignoring) Rudo never did anything. He would be totally yours to define, and he's already in town and supposedly on Team PC, so it would be an easy intro - if you want to play a halfling grave robber.

I'd also consider creating a totally new PC except I'm skeptical of how we could convincingly introduce one (another stranger shows up and also gets hired!) so someone would have to be creative and convince me.

I've reached out to another trusted player with the option of playing Kurt; we'll see what happens. For now the position is open.

Tranquil
2013-08-04, 08:43 PM
First off, while I won't oppose Tranquil's attempt to sway you, Aberratio, please don't feel pressured. By the way, thanks for the explanation you offered - that helps me understand the issue a lot better and I can totally see how that sucked.

As I said early on in the post, I was NOT attempting to sway him, and I understand and respect his reasons for not wanting to take on Kurt.

Aberratio mentioned me in his first post with regards to what should happen with Kurt, so I was merely offering general opinions and options.

Another_Poet
2013-08-05, 08:21 AM
Sorry that I misunderstood, Tranquil!

Also, I got your message on FB (miraculously - I no longer use that site) and I'd be happy to bring your girlfriend into the game. I'm hesitant to offer her Kurt, since I feel couples do best in a game when their characters aren't too closely intertwined, but how would she feel about Lynn?

In any case, invite her to post here in the OOC if she likes.

The other friend I had in mind is unavailable until November, so we can either do an open recruiting effort for Kurt 2.0 or I can work on writing him out of the game. I realize that would be hard on Elodie, but it might ultimately be good for her...

Tranquil
2013-08-05, 06:42 PM
Sorry that I misunderstood, Tranquil!


No worries. It was a long post.



The other friend I had in mind is unavailable until November, so we can either do an open recruiting effort for Kurt 2.0 or I can work on writing him out of the game. I realize that would be hard on Elodie, but it might ultimately be good for her...

If you write Kurt out, I would really appreciate it if you didn't kill him or injure him badly since that would weight heavily on Elodie for the rest of the game. He could be called to serve Morr elsewhere, or called back to visit or assist his family...obviously, it's up to you.

Tranquil
2013-08-05, 09:04 PM
I beg your collective indulgence for these back-to-back posts.

I found a brief, possibly relevant passage in the players' manual (2nd ed., p. 167) about Taal and Rhya: "Those who often call upon Taal and Rhya's aid find that they are seldom ill and have near boundless enthusiasm, but become melancholy in cities and towns."

There may be relics buried in the Garden, and the intruders are wearing robes in a color sacred to Taal/Rhya, and heavier than the light summer Taalassa festival attire. What if the persons of interest are trying to free an artifact and take it away from town? I suspect something much darker is going on, but the weight and color of the strand of wool are a lead we haven't followed up on as far as I know.

Rhya's shrine will presumably be very busy at this time of year. I'd like to take time to visit it, look around, talk to whoever's there, and (as a cover) make offerings to Rhya.

Is there a god for sleuths who we should be praying to in-game? Could any deities actually help us in a practical way?

Cognomen
2013-08-06, 01:16 AM
Greetings, everyone! I'm the girlfriend mentioned above (irl I go by Sophie). I've been following this game for some time now and would very much enjoy participating - Drew, thank you for the invite. I have some experience taking over a previously created character (I'm piloting such a character in another game) and so far I find it presents intriguing RP challenges. Lynn, I think, would be particularly fun to take over - I've read the IC thread in full, so I'm familiar with her.

That said, it's inevitable that I wouldn't be able to RP Lynn exactly as BloodyAngel did. Luckily for me, there are a fair number of posts from Lynn's pov - and of course the background BloodyAngel wrote - and that all gives me a good baseline for conceiving of her character. Drew, I do have a couple of questions about specifics - should I just contact you via pm?

Another_Poet
2013-08-06, 08:43 AM
All of this may be moot if we don't get some IC posts.... <clears throat loudly>


If you write Kurt out, I would really appreciate it if you didn't kill him or injure him badly since that would weight heavily on Elodie for the rest of the game.

Sure, but if she goes around treating people like pawns she might eventually have some kind of consequences to face. Feeling guilty might do her good :smalltongue:

I'll consider other options. He wouldn't leave Elodie even if he got new orders (he'd expect her to pack up, I imagine) so be prepared to drive him away when the time comes. It... could get thorny.

Cognomen, welcome! I'm glad you can join us :) I think we all understand that Lynn will go through some re-interpretation and I, for one, am excited to see what that looks like. Feel free to ask your questions here in the OOC thread, unless you feel they should be confidential.

Tribe
2013-08-07, 03:59 AM
I'm not sure anyone would be really upset with a bit of tinkering of existing characters. There's only three players. Matt and I seriously have no problems with it, and Tranquil has said she just doesn't want Kurt acting totally against character (or getting killed). Seems like lots of room to move.

Seriously, I don't think we're that highly strung. :smallsmile:

We'll cope with a new player.

Another_Poet
2013-08-08, 05:08 PM
Cool, thanks everyone.

So, after some thought I decided there's nothing to fear from having an IRL couple play two related characters, and I offered Cognomen the option to play Kurt or Lynn - her call. I think she's leaning to Kurt.

So, Cognomen, feel free to copy and paste Kurt's sheet from the first page (so you have a version you can edit yourself).

And everyone - I was thinking it might help if we all contribute our vision of what's stood out about Kurt as a character so far? Cognomen has total free reign in taking him in a new direction, but if she wants to focus on continuity, it might help to know what the most important points are.

My take:

Stern
Shy around women/scared of the opposite sex
Seems to have feelings for Elodie
Disapproves of frivolity or unnecessary risk

Tranquil
2013-08-08, 08:26 PM
My read on Kurt:


Stiff
Quiet
Dutiful
Dignified
Chauvinistic
Cool-headed
"Morally upstanding"
Dedicated to service
Intimidating by virtue of his silence and his equipment (and presumed training in its use)
Assumes he can handle most potential combat situations. His unwillingness to arm Elodie, under the presumption that the other party members could protect her no matter what, seemed reckless and almost hubristic to me.

-Sentinel-
2013-08-08, 08:30 PM
My take:

Stern
Shy around women/scared of the opposite sex
Seems to have feelings for Elodie
Disapproves of frivolity or unnecessary risk

That's pretty much it, yes.

Kurt is a rigid, prudish, austere sort, who appears to have a spear shoved up his arse. He is scrupulously honest and law-abiding; he never lies, cheats or steals, and disapproves of his friends doing these things. He prides himself on his professionalism as a knight-in-training, but is woefully incompetent at anything that falls outside his duties, such as intellectual or artistic pursuits and social situations. He has no idea what to do around women and has somewhat conservative views about their place in society. His feelings about Elodie are mixed: he's not a big fan of her assertiveness and ambition and would like to rein her in before she brings shame to her family, but she seems to have a certain power over him; she knows it and milks it for all it's worth.

When the sh*t goes down, Kurt snaps out of his quiet, reserved demeanor and becomes a ruthlessly efficient warrior, with a strict code of honor towards humans but no mercy for Chaos or undead abominations. He generally has a pragmatic, end-justifies-the-means mentality, always looking at the big picture as opposed to individual people's interests (including his own), but he'll go the extra mile to protect Elodie.

I hope that helps.

Cognomen
2013-08-08, 10:23 PM
As Poet said, it looks like I am indeed going for Kurt. Thanks for the run-downs on his personality, everyone - they're very helpful.

Poet and I have been discussing possibilities for where Kurt could go as a character, and he suggested I post about them here for everyone's feedback. I think that given how Kurt's been set up by Sentinel there are some very interesting potential developments. I have no intention of changing Kurt's personality too abruptly (or engaging in a total overhaul), but I'd like to implement some gradual changes.

My main concern has been Kurt's views on women. (Sentinel, out of curiosity, can you give me an idea of what you had in mind in terms of how he developed them?) I would not be capable of RPing Kurt with said views unless he were heading towards some sort of change of heart on the subject, difficult as it might be for him. I don't intend Kurt to be advocating loudly for the rights of women anytime soon, but I'm going to have him start rethinking some of his biases. (And, after all, he's only 19 - a good age for rethinking.)

Poet and I have also been discussing the possibility of Kurt gradually falling from grace, as it were, now that he's passed from the structure of his training to the outside world and its temptations. Specifically, we've been talking about the lures of women (scary! but interesting!) and drink. Based on what I gather of Kurt's character, I think he's the sort who, despite being extremely straight-laced at this point, might very well turn to alcohol to deal with confusing new ideas, changes, etc. (Tribe, it occurred to me that perhaps Ren could help corrupt him a bit, as it were...? Or Aquin, for that matter - if either of you feel that would be IC for your characters.)

Ok, posting Kurt's character sheet here as Poet suggested:

{table]Primary Characteristic....| Value
Weapon Skill|36
Ballistic Skill|24
Strength|32
Toughness|37
Agility|30
Intelligence|31
Will Power|31
Fellowship|28
[/table]

{table=]Secondary Characteristic| Value
Attacks|2
Wounds|13/13
Strength Bonus|3
Toughness Bonus|3
Movement|4
Magic|0
Insanity Points| 1
Fate Points|3/3
[/table]

{table=]Skills | %
Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry)| 31
Animal Care| 31
Animal Training| 28
Charm| 28
Common Knowledge (the Empire)| 31
Dodge Blow| 30
Gossip| 28
Ride| 30
Speak Language (Breton)| 31
Speak Language (Reikspiel)| 31
[/table]

{table=]Talents
Ambidextrous
Etiquette
Excellent Vision
Specialist Weapon Group (Cavalry)
Strike Mighty Blow
[/table]

Equipment: Demilance, hand weapon (broadsword), dagger, mail shirt, mail coif, leather jack, shield, horse with saddle and harness, common clothing, backpack, religious symbol (raven pendant)
Gold: 14 gc 19 s 8 p (+5 gc party funds)

Advances: +1 Attack, +5 Strength
XP: 50 / 150

Smoke the Horse:

{table=]Primary Characteristics| Value
Weapon Skill| 25
Ballistic Skill| 0
Strength| 38
Toughness| 43
Agility| 30
Intelligence| 10
Will Power| 10
Fellowship| 0
[/table]

{table=]Secondary Characteristics| Value
Attacks| 0
Wounds| 5/12
Strength Bonus| 3
Toughness Bonus| 4
Movement| 8
Magic| 0
Insanity Points| 0
Fortune/Fate Points| 0/0
[/table]

{table=]Skills| %
Perception +10%| 40
Swim | 38
[/table]

{table=]Talents
Acute Hearing
Keen Senses
[/table]


Any feedback you guys might have to give would be welcome.

-Sentinel-
2013-08-08, 11:30 PM
My main concern has been Kurt's views on women. (Sentinel, out of curiosity, can you give me an idea of what you had in mind in terms of how he developed them?) I would not be capable of RPing Kurt with said views unless he were heading towards some sort of change of heart on the subject, difficult as it might be for him. I don't intend Kurt to be advocating loudly for the rights of women anytime soon, but I'm going to have him start rethinking some of his biases. (And, after all, he's only 19 - a good age for rethinking.)
Oh, it's perfectly alright if you change this gradually; it was part of my plans as well. Kurt's views are mostly the result of his upbringing (by priests, monks and fellow knights) and inexperience with the world at large. I'm not expecting such opinions to resist real life for long.

Tribe
2013-08-09, 12:49 AM
Aquin would be a good person to corrupt Kurt. Ren doesn't really know what he's doing, so if Ren's the corrupting influence it'd be purely accidental. I guess Ren's more of a mercurial-thinking opportunistic good guy.

Yeah.

:smallcool:

Smart but dumb.

Another_Poet
2013-08-09, 09:44 AM
Glad you're still reading, Sentinel. Thank you by the way, for making an interesting character worthy of handing down to someone else, and for sticking with us as long as you did with your busy work schedule.

Right, Cognomen I think we're ready to introduce the new Kurt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8SWLwvKUUGI&t=22) if you want.

You should probably grab Kurt's XP, advancement history, trappings, gold etc and edit it into your character sheet post.

Cognomen
2013-08-09, 04:14 PM
Aha, I missed the trappings/xp/etc when I copied him over - I've edited the post above (and added Smoke the horse).

Sentinel, thanks for the info about his sexism - I figured it might have something to do with his training.

Off to post something suitably stiff-necked!

Another_Poet
2013-08-10, 08:41 AM
Ren has paid for today and tomorrow's lodging, so let's assume the milk is included.

I'm just watching for now, basically you guys have as much prep time as you need. If you need something from me or are ready to go to the Cemetery let me know.

theherocc
2013-08-17, 07:44 AM
Our fearless leader is having internet problems. He'll get a post up as soon as he can.

Another_Poet
2013-08-19, 12:45 AM
Thanks Matt :)

We've backtracked to a town that has functional wi-fi, and I just spent 12 hours catching up on work. New post up Monday!

theherocc
2013-08-19, 12:46 PM
Just want to remind you that Aquin had night vision before we begin this serious battle...

Tribe
2013-08-19, 09:07 PM
So does Ren. Night vision that is.

Another_Poet
2013-08-20, 08:16 AM
The Night Vision talent gives a straight numeric bonus to certain rolls, which I'll add if it comes up. Elves on the other hand have some kind of actual nighttime vision? I'll check when I'm near the pdf.

Sounds like Ren/Aquin are set then. I'll
wait to hear from Team Berkeley :P

Also, we're heading to another small rural town today, this time on the Hatian border. In theory our inn has wi-fi AND we have a mobile hotspot as a backup. But that all failed last weekend, so while I hope to be updating normally over the next few days, if I disappear it's temporary and you'll know why :)

Cognomen
2013-08-21, 07:17 AM
I can't speak for Thea just now but I'm pretty much ready to go I think (despite some worried double-thinking about whether I placed Kurt in the right place)...

Cognomen
2013-08-22, 04:05 AM
Ok, Thea's asked me to convey that she's having serious internet connectivity issues, but she's read to go in-game.

Another_Poet
2013-08-24, 06:45 PM
Update: visiting Haiti has been a cluster, but I'm traveling back to DR tomorrow and will be able to update and resume my posting rate on Monday. For real! Sorry again for the unexpected interruptions... thank you all for sticking it out.

Another_Poet
2013-08-26, 10:50 PM
New update edited into the IC thread!!

theherocc
2013-08-26, 10:58 PM
So I'm clear, our options seem to be to move further along the wall, climb/jump down the wall, or be spotted?

Another_Poet
2013-08-27, 09:48 AM
Correct, with confronting them falling under the "be spotted" option.

Or of course there is the time-honored PC option of "something the GM never could have guessed you would do." :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2013-08-28, 09:20 AM
Rolls you never noticed:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]

[roll4]

theherocc
2013-08-28, 10:45 AM
Rolling for sneaky moves, just in case.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Another_Poet
2013-08-28, 11:04 AM
Only one needed, so you make it :)

Also: I read the Night Vision talent and I was wrong, no numeric bonus - just a straight up ability. Cool. That's why you guys ID'd how many figures it was.

Also also: Some time ago I had you guys roll Perception tests to search the cemetery for clues. I had totally forgotten that there is a specific Search skill for that kind of thing. So, in the future, we'll use that.

Another_Poet
2013-08-28, 04:58 PM
This would be a good time for a Charm test from Aquin.

Also, Ben, when you come online Ren can show up whenever you like. You'd only be a beat behind Aquin.

Another_Poet
2013-08-28, 11:04 PM
Since this is the time of night that Ben is likely to show up, and Matt not till tomorrow, I'll roll for Matt to move things along:

Charm: [roll0]

And IC is updated.

theherocc
2013-08-29, 08:55 AM
I was more aiming for an Intimidate, but a fail is a fail.

Am I in charging distance?

Another_Poet
2013-08-29, 06:54 PM
I was hoping we might get a post from Ben, but now's as good a time as any. You haven't Surprised them, so they take action as soon as you start down the stairs...

Initiative**
Init
Aquin [roll0]
Ren [roll1]
Person "M" [roll2]
Person "P" [roll3]
Person "O" [roll4]

**Do not wait for your turn in initiative to post. Post ASAP, and I will sort out the order things happen.

(Ben, this would be a good time to remember the once-a-day posting policy - especially with half the group waiting on you guys off-stage.)

Map:

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8495/7mia.png


Matt: Charging requires you to be at least 2 squares (four yards) away from the target, and the final 2 squares (4 yards) of your move must be a straight line. So yes, you could charge.

edited: Person "P" goes ahead of you, but they start to move away - your charge is still clear.

theherocc
2013-08-29, 07:14 PM
Didn't realise I was still upstairs. Whoops.

Do you want us posting intentions here or in character?

Aquin is just going to walk down the stairs casually.

Another_Poet
2013-08-30, 07:00 AM
Okay, I switched to combat time since I thought you were charging... but we'll stick with it for now.

Normally do all actions as IC posts, but I can do the next update based on you simply walking down the stairs. We'll still need a post from Ren though, do you know if Ben is away...?

theherocc
2013-08-30, 07:16 AM
I haven't heard from him in weeks. I just sent him a message.

Cognomen
2013-08-30, 08:16 AM
Meanwhile, in the graveyard... I wish I had thought to suggest before we went in there that we come up with some sort of signal if half the party saw or came across something. I don't suppose there's any chance Kurt's managed to hear any of what's been happening? He doesn't have Perception, though...

theherocc
2013-08-30, 08:45 AM
I'm planning to scream if anything goes wrong :)

Anything more goes wrong.

Cognomen
2013-08-30, 08:57 AM
Heh, I was just thinking some screaming might soon be in order. I mean, let's hope it's not, of course, because, for one thing, I don't see a quick way for Kurt to get over that wall - he'd try to scramble up through the gap the robbers came through the night before.

Now I need to go try to figure out how one deals with movement in combat in WFRPG (I'm used to all those d&d grids...) *digs out the manual*

theherocc
2013-08-30, 10:27 AM
Rolling Charm if needed. [roll0]

Another_Poet
2013-08-30, 06:37 PM
So, since Ben has been gone more than 2 days I have forced Ren's action. I think it's pretty in character for him to just back up Aquin; hopefully he'll be back soon.


Meanwhile, in the graveyard... I wish I had thought to suggest before we went in there that we come up with some sort of signal if half the party saw or came across something. I don't suppose there's any chance Kurt's managed to hear any of what's been happening? He doesn't have Perception, though...

I was wondering about that :D Thus are the dangers of splitting the party.

Kurt would be unable to hear this, even with a successful Perception.


I'm planning to scream if anything goes wrong :)

Anything more goes wrong.

Kurt would hear a scream from the parapet, but now that you're inside the bar he cannot hear you.

Matt, you have the run of the scene. I'm back in NOLA tonight so I can reply rapidly - would be nice to bang out a few posts in a row.

Tribe
2013-08-30, 07:04 PM
Forgot how to roll dice...

Perception Check [roll d100] to see if he can pick up anything about the three men's moods.

Tribe
2013-08-30, 07:08 PM
Perception check [roll0]

Tranquil
2013-08-31, 08:16 PM
Happy birthday, Drew!

Another_Poet
2013-08-31, 10:27 PM
Happy birthday, Drew!

Aww, thank you!! And Matt, yes, it counts WAY more :)

Ben - if anyone has rope, bueno, otherwise helping is not possible.

I'll double check but I suspect rope simply imparts a bonus to
the roll.

Another_Poet
2013-09-01, 07:08 PM
Now that you have a fully functioning GM, I'll remind everyone that we have an expected posting rate of once a day.

Cognomen, if you can post yet today then Ben can keep it rolling when he logs on in Australia tonight. Otherwise it's likely to be another 24 hours before we can advance.

Another_Poet
2013-09-02, 10:02 AM
So, Kurt made it up and no post from Ren, but I see that no one in this trio has rope. That means it's likely up to Elodie what happens next.

edit: Also, Cognomen apparently brought the magic dice with her :smallsmile:

Tranquil
2013-09-02, 03:28 PM
Drew, is there any way you could put the directions for how to roll as a spoiler in the first post in the OOC thread? It seems like it could save us some time, as a few players have indicated on occasion that they've forgotten how, including/especially me.

Another_Poet
2013-09-02, 03:31 PM
That's a good idea - I will.

edit: done! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14454522#post14454522)

Do you plan to Fortune Point either of those rolls, or should I update?

Tranquil
2013-09-02, 03:54 PM
Rollin' rollin' rollin', keep those dice a rollin'...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Tranquil
2013-09-02, 03:56 PM
Since it looks like one of those rolls made it, here are a few for the upper half of the wall:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Another_Poet
2013-09-02, 04:02 PM
So I presume these were repeated attempts, and not FP rerolls?

Looks like Elodie made the first roll on her fourth try (total), then made the second roll on her first try. It took some time, but she's up!

I think it's pretty obvious that Ren would try to climb the wall with the others, and since he's been gone more than a day I'll roll for him:

Bottom Half:
[roll0]
retries if needed (since he could see Elodie was still taking her time):
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Top Half:
[roll4]

edit: Wow. He's up.

Wait wait: I'm sorry, Ren doesn't possess Scale Sheer Surface, so it's against half his Strength - a 23 doesn't make it.

I don't want to choose for Ben whether he should spend a Fortune Point here or take the fall, so we'll wait for him to post to move Team Graveyard along.

But I can update for Aquin.

Tribe
2013-09-03, 05:11 AM
So, Kurt made it up and no post from Ren...

I thought Ren had made it to the top of the wall with his Fate Point re-roll. Did he need to make a second Fate re-roll? Is that allowed?

If so, then here's a reroll - [roll0]

If Ren isn't able to scale the wall he'll tell Kurt he will run around to the gate and get to the pub as soon as he can. (Would that work?)

Another_Poet
2013-09-03, 06:26 PM
Wow, I'm sorry Ben, that's completely my fault.

I don't know how I had forgotten that Ren already made this rolls before anyone else; for some reason I only remembered you making the check to come down. So no, you do not need to spend an extra Fortune point (and the delay is completely my fault).

Okay, everyone in Team Graveyard gets to the top of the wall, although Elodie slows down the group - I've updated for Aquin and once Matt posts again, I should be able to update for all of you.

edit: good to go everyone!

Also, if people want to start putting their target numbers next to the rolls they make, that would be swell :smallwink:

Tranquil
2013-09-03, 08:44 PM
Also, if people want to start putting their target numbers next to the rolls they make, that would be swell :smallwink:

It's not always clear what target number different actions fall under. In this case, I considered including one, but had no idea which of my numbers was relevant.

Another_Poet
2013-09-03, 09:00 PM
Every skill comes off a single attribute (Strength in the case of Scale Sheer Surface). Page 92 of the pdf lists all of them.

If you're attempting to use a skill you don't have, the target number will be halved (basic skills) or you just can't use it (advanced skills).

It can be a pain to look up the table sometimes, but you'll become familiar with them in time - and it always feels better to roll dice if you know what counts as a success :smallsmile:

Actually, I'll put the skill chart in the Info post of this thread, too.

edit: done. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14454522#post14454522)

theherocc
2013-09-03, 09:10 PM
Aquin continues to follow the plan. Follow until they're not followable. He's not interested in hearing anything at this point. Normally, he'd have no problem with three against one, but one of them has a bundle of sticks...

Tranquil
2013-09-04, 02:14 AM
Actually, I'll put the skill chart in the Info post of this thread, too.

edit: done. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14454522#post14454522)

Woo, thank you! That makes it much easier for those of us who are new to Warhammer.

Cognomen
2013-09-04, 11:14 AM
Yes, thanks for putting that up! Now I shall know many more things.

Tranquil
2013-09-05, 01:10 AM
(Was there supposed to be a map in the last IC post, Drew?)

Elodie did not see the party of thieves split up, so she will assume Aquin knows which way to go, and follow him.

Another_Poet
2013-09-05, 11:40 PM
Gah! Yes, here it is:


http://imageshack.us/a/img543/4261/c3ku.jpg

Another_Poet
2013-09-07, 10:13 PM
An unimportant roll:

[roll0] - Ren succeeds on an Easy (+10%) Perception test

Several others:
[roll1]
[roll2]

Also: I'm now officially heading out on the next leg of my bicycle trip. Based on previous experience, I should be able to check in and update at least once a day, although please forgive if circumstances conspire to prevent that!

Another_Poet
2013-09-08, 01:13 PM
While I welcome Matt pushing the story forward, and appreciate his posting pace, I'm gonna hold off on updating till we get posts from our aristos.

Tranquil
2013-09-08, 02:35 PM
We discussed it offline last night. For now Elodie is going to pretend to be a horrified random bystander. There was some talk of Kurt intervening, but that was before the last Aquin post, so I don't know what if anything Kurt will do now.

Another_Poet
2013-09-08, 06:06 PM
Right, update on the way then.

And friendly GM request: anytime your characters are going to choose to do nothing, please post OOC to tell us that.

Another_Poet
2013-09-08, 10:41 PM
Yay rolls!

[roll0] - in the matter of the couple

[roll1] - something about Merry

edit: I shall wait for Aquin's reaction before I update.

Tranquil
2013-09-09, 03:59 AM
Assuming we are able to maneuver Merry off the street, any ideas on where to take him? Perhaps a stable or something? It seems like we should get him away from the docks, where his unsavory friends could chance upon us. Then again, there might be more gendarmes in better parts of town.</kidnapping plot>

Another_Poet
2013-09-09, 11:18 PM
Chase Scene!

Merry [roll0]

Aquin [roll1]
Ren [roll2]
Kurt [roll3]
Elodie [roll4]

As always, don't wait for your initiative turn to post your action...

Chase Rules

Note that on any given round you can Move (a half action), Charge (full action) or Run (full action).

Move - If your Movement characteristic is 4, you can move up to 4 squares. It's only a half action so you still have another half action to use on something.

Charge - You can move up to twice your Movement characteristic (e.g. 8 squares), but the last 2 squares have to be in a straight line. You get a 10% bonus to an attack roll at the end, which would apply to a Grapple attempt.

Run - You can move up to triple! (e.g. 12 squares.) But you can't do anything else. This also makes it harder for people to hit you with ranged attacks (-20%) but easier with melee attacks (+20%). Can't use it in difficult terrain. Can be useful in heading someone off.

Of course, you could also choose to take other actions, like shooting at Merry.

Importantly, during a chase scene I will allow people to use skills while moving: for example, an Agility roll to vault over an obstacle without losing movement. Creativity shall be rewarded (or at least entertained).

If any of this is unclear let me know. It's impossible for me to make a map at this instant, so assume Merry is 15 squares from Kurt and Aquin, and everyone else is at least one square farther back than that. (Aquin was adjacent to him and Kurt moved up to try to grab him.)

The current stretch of street is relatively straight and clear, although there's a corner up ahead.

I do intend to make maps when feasible - ask questions if you need to :smallsmile:

Okay guys... GO!

Tribe
2013-09-09, 11:34 PM
Ren will make a few rolls in case he needs to leap over things as he runs to cut Merry off from escaping too far.

Agility is 33. Movement is 4.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Another_Poet
2013-09-09, 11:35 PM
Looks good. Merry also used a Full Run, so you're trailing just behind him.

Tribe
2013-09-09, 11:36 PM
Oh yeah, in case it wasn't clear, Ren is hoping to get in front of Merry so he will be running close to the wall which leads to the turn off and not directly behind the fleeing bandit.

That way he won't get shot by Aquin. Hopefully.

theherocc
2013-09-09, 11:41 PM
I'm confused. Aquin won initiative and Merry is already 15 squares away? Is that because he has 5 Movement or because you're assuming he was 3 squares away from Aquin when they initially stopped?

On the free attack, Aquin will attempt to grapple. I don't know if that's Strength or Agility. [roll0]. If he won initiative, I assume he can try again. [roll1]

theherocc
2013-09-09, 11:44 PM
I'd like to use a Fortune Point on that. [roll0]

Cognomen
2013-09-09, 11:45 PM
Being shot at hasn't occurred to Kurt... who's doing a 12-square run (movement 4). Here are some rolls (his Agility is 30):

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tranquil
2013-09-10, 03:27 AM
Elodie will Move while attempting to use her Public Speaking talent to Charm the crowd (Charm will affect ten times the usual number of people). Maybe useless, but it's more in character, and god knows she's more likely to succeed with a Fel roll than Agility.

Rolls for Movement, if they are needed (Agility 28, Movement 4):
[roll0]
[roll1]

Rolls for Public Speaking (Charm 47):
[roll]d100[/100]
(can I roll twice on this? If so, [roll2].)

Tranquil
2013-09-10, 03:28 AM
Now I know what happens to rolls if you try to post twice in 60 seconds.

Movement (Agility 28):
[roll0]
[roll1]

Public Speaking (Charm 47):
[roll2]
[roll3]

Tribe
2013-09-10, 03:41 AM
Tranquil, your second rolls are awesome. :)

Another_Poet
2013-09-10, 09:39 AM
Oh yeah, in case it wasn't clear, Ren is hoping to get in front of Merry so he will be running close to the wall which leads to the turn off and not directly behind the fleeing bandit.

Got it.


That way he won't get shot by Aquin. Hopefully.

Meh, all humans look the same.


I'm confused. Aquin won initiative and Merry is already 15 squares away?

Merry fleeing is what caused us to go into initiative in the first place - thus, the first round of actions that happen in initiative order start after his first run.

He was adjacent to Aquin when he turned to flee.


On the free attack, Aquin will attempt to grapple. I don't know if that's Strength or Agility.

Sorry, I should've been more clear - I was granting Aquin a free sword attack, if desired, because Aquin already had a sword trained on him. I'm not sure if this is covered by the rules, it just made sense for me to give you the option.

(Grapples are initiated with unarmed attacks, to answer your question.)

That Fortune Point reroll is a hit, if you choose to apply it to a sword attack; if you'd rather not, you can save the FP. Your call, just let me know.


Elodie will Move while attempting to use her Public Speaking talent to Charm the crowd (Charm will affect ten times the usual number of people).

Nice roll!

Everyone: You normally only roll once for a given skill. (Scale Sheer Surface is a weird exception because you roll every x feet.) And no Agility rolls are needed at all for moving, normally. You just move :smallsmile:

theherocc
2013-09-10, 01:20 PM
Okay, Aquin is attacking with the flat of his blade. With a bonus for an unaware, running opponent he makes it with the first roll, a 60. That means a hit to the head for [roll0] damage. I don't know what the flat of the blade causes for a penalty, but hand weapon includes a club. A quarterstaff suffers a -2.

Another_Poet
2013-09-10, 01:38 PM
Some systems have a penalty for using the flat of the blade, but Warhammer doesn't specify and as a swordsman I don't think it takes any extra skill. So that doesn't affected your target number.

However, Merry definitely isn't unaware of you. I'm afraid that bonus doesn't apply.

Another_Poet
2013-09-10, 04:56 PM
Okay, so with the running bonus that's still a hit... on to round 2!

Initiative for reference:

Aquin [46]
Merry [42]
Ren [40]
Kurt [31]
Elodie [31]

To identify people on maps, I'm using your speech color. Ben, I've randomly assigned red to Ren; Cognomen, I've always kind of assumed the black font was intentional on Sentinel's part, so I'm using a dark gray for Kurt.

Merry gets brown because it's a yucky color and grave robbers are yucky.

So, I was able to throw together quick maps today. Here are grid-style maps for before and after Merry started running:

Before:

(Bystanders are light gray and the couple who's leave is bluish.)

http://imageshack.us/a/img5/6942/aajd.png


After Round 1:

(I assumed Elodie would be in front of the crowd, doing her crowd control. I can move her if needed.)
http://imageshack.us/a/img853/2272/ehc2.png


There's some wonkiness here - every round, on Aquin's turn, the elf is literally adjacent to Merry; then on Merry's turn he's 15 squares behind again. Combat rounds aren't the perfect metric for this kind of stuff.

Okay, with that out of the way, I won't be making grid maps for every block of running - that gets tedious. Instead, I'm making a single zoomed-out map showing the chase. You guys will be cute little dots :smallsmile:

Every round the dots move. It's like magic.

edit: up! Begin Round 2.

Tribe
2013-09-11, 02:43 AM
Bloody elves...

:smallyuk:

theherocc
2013-09-11, 06:50 PM
Bloody elves...



Not yet...

Cognomen
2013-09-11, 07:12 PM
Latest update: LOL.

Another_Poet
2013-09-11, 10:30 PM
Latest update: LOL.

:smallbiggrin:

Ben: I just wanted to make sure, did you mean 5 gold (a lot!) or 5 schillings?

Tribe
2013-09-11, 10:35 PM
Oh money! Can I change it to 2 gold pieces?

If it gets the thief stopped I'm happy to pay it.

Another_Poet
2013-09-12, 09:55 AM
Oh money! Can I change it to 2 gold pieces?

If it gets the thief stopped I'm happy to pay it.

Done. Can you edit your original post?

Okay, rolling for the strumpet! Since it's an opposed roll, there's at least a chance Kurt succeeded, though it's unlikely:

[roll0]

edit: Oh, strumpet, how I love thee...

Also, second reminder: please always note your target numbers when you roll something! If for no other reason than because going off your GM's memory/guess is unlikely to be in your favor :smallamused:

Another_Poet
2013-09-13, 01:18 PM
Anybody out there? :smallcool:

Tribe
2013-09-13, 05:32 PM
Ren just missed his roll and is falling behind, so he'll probably give up the chase next round unless Kurt convinces him otherwise (although I expect Kurt and his betrothed might have other things to attend to...)

There's a chance the old dude might track down and capture Merry for us.

Another_Poet
2013-09-13, 07:19 PM
I'm in awe of this team's perseverance :)

I should roll two random talents for Hired Held, to see if by chance he has the Fleet Footed talent.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Okay, we're just waiting for a Kurt post and then I can update.

Also, even though it would take Aquin many rounds to get back to that tavern, I'm going to include Aquin in the next update too. There's really no way for the two groups to know about or quickly reach each other, so the time split isn't a big deal.

Another_Poet
2013-09-13, 07:22 PM
I forget, do duplicate talents mean you only get one, or you reroll the second one?

Let's say if it's Fleet Footed we'll take it: [roll0]

Cognomen
2013-09-14, 01:32 AM
Bah, apologies for the delay, everyone. I'm in the thick of the worst part of my current work crunch. It should get a little better in a couple of days.

Another_Poet
2013-09-14, 02:13 AM
Yikes, work crunches are not fun. Hope it goes quickly :smallsmile:

A roll for Merry: [roll0] - oh hoh, a fail

Cognomen
2013-09-14, 04:38 AM
Does the Warhammer universe have facepalming...? No? How about "The Flight of the Bumblebee"?

I think Kurt may have a little crush on the strumpet. And who could blame him, really?

Tribe
2013-09-14, 07:08 AM
This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship, Kurt.

Another_Poet
2013-09-14, 10:23 AM
He finds himself wondering if the strumpet will still be in the same place later.

I lol'd.


If he gets within range of throwing his spear, can you let me know?

Sure. The range of a spear is 8 yards, so 4 squares. If you get within -4 you're ready to go.

Once we have an Elodie post I can update the chase, whether or not Matt has posted.

Another_Poet
2013-09-15, 11:25 AM
Have a difficult biking day today, but I hope to update tonight.

Another_Poet
2013-09-17, 12:17 AM
The difficult biking day turned into total bike failure + heatstroke 25 miles out of the city. I had to return to New Orleans where I'm resting/repairing. The story will be up on the blog this week for those interested.

I'm fine though. There will be an update Tuesday for real.

Tranquil
2013-09-17, 12:35 AM
The difficult biking day turned into total bike failure + heatstroke 25 miles out of the city. I had to return to New Orleans where I'm resting/repairing. The story will be up on the blog this week for those interested.

I'm fine though. There will be an update Tuesday for real.

Oh, no! I'm glad you're okay.

Another_Poet
2013-09-17, 11:36 PM
Thanks Thea :)

Matt, was there originally a roll in Aquin's post?


He finds himself wondering if the strumpet will still be in the same place later.

This made me smile.

Another_Poet
2013-09-17, 11:39 PM
Ah, I forgot a roll for Merry:

[roll0]

So, starting this round, Kurt and Ren will have to make these rolls too. You've now gone farther than a long sprint, so these rolls are against running out of wind -


The target number is [Toughness + Move]
On a success you can move your Full Run, on a fail you will be a few squares short
If you single move, double move or charge there is no need to make this roll - only for full run


Merry's had to make them earlier because he started running sooner. Elodie and Hired Help don't need to make them yet.

theherocc
2013-09-18, 11:07 AM
There was a roll, but then I didn't really think it was needed. It was a failed fellowship roll if it matters. I thought Charm, but it's not really appropriate. He has Streetwise, which suggests it is for Charm style rolls, but not sure how much sense that makes either.

Another_Poet
2013-09-18, 06:32 PM
I was going to ask for a roll, but then I saw you offered gold :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2013-09-20, 02:29 PM
It's been two days, so I'm going to force Ren's action. (Note: I'm particularly averse to doing this during action scenes like this. Ben, let us know where you're at.)

I have no reason to believe he would stop running now, so here is his roll:

[roll0]

edit: Target 37, that's a fail. Ben, let me know if you want to FP it and I can adjust your movement retroactively.

Another_Poet
2013-09-20, 02:38 PM
Forgot Merry's roll: [roll0] - fail

Tribe
2013-09-21, 01:37 AM
:smallfrown:
It's been two days, so I'm going to force Ren's action. (Note: I'm particularly averse to doing this during action scenes like this. Ben, let us know where you're at.)

I have no reason to believe he would stop running now, so here is his roll:

[roll0]

edit: Target 37, that's a fail. Ben, let me know if you want to FP it and I can adjust your movement retroactively.

Hi Drew,
No Fate Points left, so Ren will take the fail. :smallfrown:

Another_Poet
2013-09-22, 04:12 PM
No Fate Points left, so Ren will take the fail. :smallfrown:

Eek! :smalleek: I should have checked, sorry.

So it looks like it's all up to Kurt. Cognomen, can we get a post?

Another_Poet
2013-09-23, 01:47 PM
I think we're waiting on Kurt and Elodie to reply to Ren.

I'll hold off updating Aquin until we know where the other team is going.

Another_Poet
2013-09-24, 12:27 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume this is not something we have to RP, since I can just go back and read.

You're exactly right. In fact, you can even go so far as to say "Once she'd been caught up..." or similar and add more to your post. I don't think Ren has any reason to hold back.

Tribe
2013-09-24, 04:58 PM
You're exactly right. In fact, you can even go so far as to say "Once she'd been caught up..." or similar and add more to your post. I don't think Ren has any reason to hold back.

Fine with Ren/me.

Another_Poet
2013-09-25, 04:46 PM
It's been three days with no post from Kurt, and no word from Elodie since Ren gave the go-ahead to assume he fills you in. I think that losing your only (so far) lead might be a big deal for the group - not to mention one of your party members turned around and left you while you were mid-chase.

It's looking grim for our heroes, but the night's not over. I'm officially requesting posts.

Cognomen
2013-09-26, 02:22 AM
Sorry about the lengthy delay, everyone. The job I was crushed by for weeks finished up today, and I no longer have whatever illness I was dealing with towards the end there, so I should be much more available through most of the rest of the semester.

Another_Poet
2013-09-27, 12:32 AM
The job I was crushed by for weeks finished up today, and I no longer have whatever illness I was dealing with towards the end there

Yikes, I'm glad you're better! And work-free :smallamused:

Also: [roll0]

Cognomen
2013-09-28, 06:59 AM
Oh, I don't know that "work-free" is a word that will ever characterize an academia-type, but hey, any period that doesn't involve sitting in front of a desk for 28 hours straight is a happy period by me...!

Ok, off to post IC! ...Oh, Kurt and his intriguing, intriguing strumpet. Guess which route he'll be picking.

Another_Poet
2013-09-28, 06:06 PM
Oh, I don't know that "work-free" is a word that will ever characterize an academia-type

Heh, true words. What's your field by the way? Or did you tell us and I forgot?

Also, I'm going to keep doing this, surely just to try to scare the players and for no meaningful reason at all:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Tribe
2013-09-28, 08:17 PM
Mysterious roll [roll0] just to join in with the fun.

:smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2013-09-28, 09:18 PM
Hey, that's my job! :smallyuk:

Another_Poet
2013-09-29, 04:09 PM
P.S. I'll hold off updating till I know what everyone's doing... I could picture some of you wanting to pursue leads tonight instead of waiting, and I don't want to presume.

Tribe
2013-09-29, 05:00 PM
P.S. I'll hold off updating till I know what everyone's doing... I could picture some of you wanting to pursue leads tonight instead of waiting, and I don't want to presume.

Ren just wants to go to bed and start searching for Merry in the morning. If Aquin gets to sneak off to bed then Ren will too.

Another_Poet
2013-10-01, 10:36 AM
Waiting on posts from both of our aristos.

Tranquil
2013-10-02, 01:19 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Tranquil
2013-10-02, 01:38 AM
Oh, was that not what I was supposed to post?

Things miiiiight get a little intense in the IC thread soon. Matt, it's nothing personal; my goal is to respond in Elodie-appropriate ways.

Cognomen
2013-10-02, 10:05 AM
Just thought I'd use OOC with Kurt is acting as IC as I think is possible without actually breaking the game over his perception of Aquin's behavior during that period. you were for what, 15 mn/tme: oyou gotta take your breaks and then go do something numn

In any case I'm back!

Another_Poet
2013-10-02, 12:20 PM
you were for what, 15 mn/tme: oyou gotta take your breaks and then go do something numn

Copy/paste error I assume?

In any case, this is getting good. I shall make popcorn. :smallamused:

Cognomen
2013-10-02, 10:22 PM
Ye gods, my last OOC post - apologies. I hadn't slept, and I'd scripted out the IC post (which is why it makes sense), but I clearly wrote the OOC post while asleep (very rarely I've fallen asleep in front of the computer and attempted to communicate while unconscious).

Anyway no doubt I intended to explain my last IC post, so I'll do that now:

Firstly, I want to be clear (especially to you, herocc) that Kurt's last post is strictly an IC thing and there's absolutely nothing personal going on on my end; I think it's an RP situation with interesting potential. I'm trying to RP Kurt according to what I think would be IC for him without having him do anything too extreme. It took me a while to figure out what to post, because Kurt being the way he is - uptight, priggish, used to strict discipline, a devotee of Morr, about as lawful good (in the annoying way) as possible - I think he'd IC actually be inclined to react more strongly than I'm having him react, but I don't want to create a situation that would seriously harm the party.

Here's my current thinking about how to proceed with Kurt: At this point he's angry and demanding answers and wants to speak to Grigor, but he has no intention of doing anything more hostile to Aquin than that. He certainly won't attack Aquin or any such thing. If Aquin reveals the information he was able to get out of the old man, it would mollify Kurt a lot since Kurt will realize that something productive came of the evening.

All this said, I am most definitely open to suggestions.

Tribe
2013-10-02, 11:20 PM
We all know this is role playing. Matt won't take it personally - in fact, he practically begged the other players to have an intervention. Aquin deserves this confrontation.

:smallwink:

Another_Poet
2013-10-02, 11:49 PM
Just want to say I'm enjoying the current confrontation and, as far as your GM is concerned, everyone has my blessing on pursuing fitting in-character responses to the situation.

With that said, I'll ask everyone to bear in mind an OOC goal of maintaining some reason for the party to stay together - give each other an out and consider ways you can respond that avoid brinksmanship.

Unless of course you are a member of the House of Representatives.

theherocc
2013-10-03, 07:33 PM
Just to make this clear, I am not Aquin. Aquin is an elf, full of himself, a bit awkward talking to humans, and gorgeous. Not like me at all, as I'm not an elf.

Just want to make sure no-one takes offence. I certainly won't be.

Another_Poet
2013-10-04, 09:17 AM
So, today begins the bicycle trip that I attemted and rescheduled about 3 weeks ago. I do hope to update during a late afternoon break, or tonight if my host has wifi, but I may be spotty.

Please do keep up the increased pace, though - seems like you don't need a GM to continue this convo :)

If you go inside as Elodie suggested, assume you make it
to one of your rooms without me saying so.

Another_Poet
2013-10-05, 10:39 PM
he spilled his information with the thoroughness of a professional spiller of important things.

I <3 this sentence.

Right, so assume you're all in a private room and have just heard everything Aquin knows, with no update needed from me.

If your conversation ends and you're ready for sleep, tell me the plan for tomorrow (breakfast is boring). If you decide to go out again, no fatigue checks are needed (yet).

Another_Poet
2013-10-06, 07:35 PM
Special request for all players:

I'm asking that we all return to the original, expected posting pace of 1 post per day, from all players - and stick to it.

We have a special challenge because part of our group is exactly halfway around the world from the rest. If we Americans let a day go by without posting, the Australian has to wait another 24 hours to act, or vice versa. Skipping a day doesn't just delay the group 1 day, it delays us all 2-3 days.

Plus, while traveling I can only update once a day. If not everyone's posted it's another 24 hours before I can update. A single absentee means it can take up to 4 days to finish a single round or dialogue. :smalleek:

That's exactly why I asked everyone to post daily from the beginning, which all of us have agreed to do.

Of course, I want to always emphasize that personal life comes first. Everyone's been good at alerting us ahead of time when a real-life situation would cause an in-game delay, and that is completely acceptable.

But on a day-to-day basis, please post daily. It is the expected pace of this game.