PDA

View Full Version : Virgins to the Night [WFRP] OOC



Pages : 1 2 [3]

Another_Poet
2013-10-15, 11:15 PM
"In short, you care nothing for how your conduct affects us, including whether we live through the night."


He caught himself wondering if Aquin would know where the strumpet was, and then thought longingly of the bar downstairs and the wine therein. It suddenly felt like it had been a very long night indeed.


"One of them spends a lot of time in the expensive whore house, so it makes sense that you and your lady take care of that investigation."

Really enjoying this conversation.

Cognomen
2013-10-16, 05:43 AM
Seriously, I think this may call for popcorn all around.

I am working on coming up with a suitable Kurt reaction of spluttering rage... :smallbiggrin:

theherocc
2013-10-16, 07:16 AM
Naturally he said that because of the "expensive" part. Definitely not to do with anything else...

Another_Poet
2013-10-17, 08:52 AM
Okay, does this mean I should advance us to morning? I can do so once I get off my bike.

Matt, let me know if Aquin has any more retorts.

Sophie, let me know if Kurt really will sneak down for a nip (purely for health reasons).

theherocc
2013-10-17, 12:35 PM
Retort completed. Morning awaits.

Cognomen
2013-10-17, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I think it's safe to say that -- after a suitable argument with himself (concluding, indeed, with the reasoning that it's just to help him sleep) -- Kurt will head downstairs for a furtive drink.

Another_Poet
2013-10-18, 12:33 AM
I didn't want to presume whether you split up as Aquin suggested - I'm not sure anyone else agreed to that.

Okay, with the chapter break, this seems like a good time to ask for feedback on the chase scene.

My favorite D&D setting, Iron Kingdoms, has chase scene rules and so did a former WFRP game master of mine. But this was my first attempt at making such an encounter myself. My goal was to create an action sequence where your choices and rolls have consequences, much like in combat.

On reflection, I think I screwed up the opening. Merry got a huge head start when he took off running. My reasoning was that he turned and ran, and everyone then got a chance to react in initiative order, because you couldn't have reacted before he ran. But I gave him a full run, and that seems excessive - it probably should have just been a single move before everyone rolled initiative.

So that part was a poor call on my part. But I'm interested to know what you thought of the chase overall. What do you think?

Tribe
2013-10-18, 06:14 AM
I think if Merry had less of a head start the chase could have worked, but there wasn't any real chance of us catching him, and if we did we would be buggered.

The tactics involved with the chase, I thought, were good, but even a few bad dice rolls for Merry didn't really help us catch him.

Another_Poet
2013-10-18, 01:09 PM
In case it wasn't clear, it's now morning.


I think if Merry had less of a head start the chase could have worked, but there wasn't any real chance of us catching him

While I can't say whether it was meant to be a "no win" situation, or even whether there really was an ambush waiting for you, I can say
I was surprised that you guys gave up the chase.

My own instinct as a player would've been to keep going - even if we couldn't tackle him we could at least follow to see where he went.

Looks like you like to play it cautious though :)

Another_Poet
2013-10-19, 09:44 AM
24 hours with no posts... did I leave you guys dangling? I didn't want to assume you split up if everybody didn't agree to that plan. You can let me know OOC if you just want me to move it on, otherwise it's up to you to hash it out :smalltongue:

Cognomen
2013-10-20, 09:24 PM
Splitting up is fine by me, assuming it's fine with everyone else...? I suppose Kurt would've liked to've hauled Aquin in front of Grigor by his ear, but somehow it doesn't seem IC for Aquin to let him do that :smallbiggrin:

As for the chase, I enjoyed it quite a lot. I do agree that the length of Merry's head-start was problematic, but it was basically quite fun (and not just because of the Bonham-Carter-resembling strumpet, I swear). I would actually not have stopped giving chase if Ren hadn't suggested it, but I also hadn't thought of the possibility of an ambush, so I thought it made sense to halt.

Another_Poet
2013-10-21, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback on the chase scene guys. Matt, I know you had mentioned you weren't a fan back when it was happening, any critique you wish to offer is appreciated.


Splitting up is fine by me, assuming it's fine with everyone else...? I suppose Kurt would've liked to've hauled Aquin in front of Grigor by his ear, but somehow it doesn't seem IC for Aquin to let him do that :smallbiggrin:

Heh, I'm surprised you'll let Aquin off on his own again at all :smalltongue:

Ben, Thea, I'm waiting to hear if you're okay with the splitting up plan before I update.

Tranquil
2013-10-21, 04:15 AM
Elodie would be unhappy if the party stayed together this morning.

theherocc
2013-10-21, 10:50 AM
Regarding the chase...

I think if you wanted us to catch him, you should just write that up. If you wanted us to not catch him, likewise. If you wanted a chance either way, I would like to see some sort of repeated test against Movement. Rather than saying M = the exact distance each person runs each time, perhaps it is Mx10+d10. Then you have some variation each turn with the fast runners generally winning, but not always. Running it through combat time makes it unwieldy and mechanical.

Another_Poet
2013-10-22, 01:39 PM
It seems like everyone was up for the split, so the new update is live.

-

Thanks Matt. The intention was definitely to give it a chance of success or failure - not an auto-win or auto-lose.

I think it's a good idea to resolve longer segments of chase with a simple Move check (that's a good mechanic suggestion, thank you). I also wanted creativity to figure into it, such as recruiting that drunk or trying a shortcut to head him off.

Maybe each city block could be judged by a single Move test, instead of four or five combat rounds - and then the results could be adjusted based on any clever ideas or skill rolls. Do you think that would work better?

Another_Poet
2013-10-28, 06:37 AM
So, uh... players?

Tranquil
2013-10-29, 02:00 AM
I'm in moving house hell, and am likely to be scarce until the weekend. Feel free to autopilot Elodie. Cognomen has the flu.

Tribe
2013-10-29, 02:06 AM
I'm in the midst of final exams for Year 12s. Might need a couple of days.

Another_Poet
2013-10-30, 03:00 AM
I'm in the midst of final exams for Year 12s. Might need a couple of days.

Understood.


I'm in moving house hell, and am likely to be scarce until the weekend. Feel free to autopilot Elodie. Cognomen has the flu.

Yikes! That may just mean your side of the story is on hold, though; Kurt's last post was basically deferring to you. Hope everybody is doing better soon :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2013-11-06, 02:12 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to give you an update about my schedule. I haven't checked in here as frequently as I like to - the last week has involved finishing a book, preparing for a conference, traveling, and dealing with some relationship issues. Not a recipe for an attentive GM. But I should have given you a heads-up, and I'm sorry.

I do see that we're starting to get a few IC posts again, so hopefully that means the perfect storm of exams + moving + flu has started to let up. I know TheHeroCC is preparing for the same conference I am, so hopefully we will have a full crew again soon.

I should be able to give you full attention starting next week :smallsmile:

Tranquil
2013-11-06, 11:00 PM
Then Aquin and all the NPCs gathered together in a magical, mitten-shaped land, to chat over mulled wine.

Hope it's OK that I just GM'd for you here in the OOC thread, Drew. Have fun at the conference, fellas.

Another_Poet
2013-11-12, 09:10 AM
Hope it's OK that I just GM'd for you here in the OOC thread, Drew.

Definitely. Also, bonus points for using "alarum" :smallwink:

Okay all, as promised I'm back, and I foresee no more GM delays in the near future. I'm not sure how long it will take Matt to recover from running one of the best conferences I've ever been to. And Ben... are finals done?

Anyway, game on.

theherocc
2013-11-15, 08:08 PM
One of the best?

Another_Poet
2013-11-15, 08:45 PM
Heh.

Well, you and I are in agreement about the many foibles of WDS, but it really was an immensely pivotal experience for me - I made great friends I still treasure, the breakouts and networking was great, and I really liked some of the speakers.

We even got a Warhammer player out of it :smalltongue:

So I'd say that conference remains a strong positive memory for me, as does yours, for very different reasons. Yours was far better organized and more of the speakers delivered more valuable content by my standards. It was also a pivotal occasion for me.

Both of them blow other conferences out of the water. Most other conferences I've been to were either dry work-related affairs or were organized by college students, which always brings down quality.

Another_Poet
2013-11-20, 10:44 PM
<nudges you guys>

Cognomen
2013-11-24, 07:32 PM
I just noticed the description of the smell of Gruber's study as being "not only [like] a chamber pot." Poet, do you mind describing it a bit further than that, assuming we would be able to identify IC what was going on? Is it just a general smell of someone ill? Of medication or something similar? I'm not sure what to roll for this - if this were D&D or PF I'd roll Spot or Perception, but Kurt doesn't have the WFRPG Perception skill. I see that skill is tied to Intelligence, though, so I'll roll that in case it might be of any use:

Intelligence (versus 31) [roll0]
ETA: Apparently Kurt can't think very well right now... (not that I blame him.)

By the by, I'm also noting here that the money Kurt is carrying has dropped from 20 gc (including the 5 gc party funds) to 19 gc 19 s 8 p. Is there a convention for how to note such things, since we're not using dynamic sheets? (I'm mostly used to myth-weavers sheets.) Tranquil suggested I copy over Kurt's full stats (as opposed to editing that OOC post).

Another_Poet
2013-11-25, 01:11 AM
Kurt doesn't have the WFRPG Perception skill

Unless a skill is Advanced, you can roll it even if you don't have the skill. It just means your target number is halved. So, you roll was unsuccessful.

But...


I just noticed the description of the smell of Gruber's study as being "not only [like] a chamber pot." Poet, do you mind describing it a bit further than that

People crap their pants when hanged, but I meant that even if there is a pants-crapping smell in the room, that does not even begin to account for how horrific this smell is.

Cognomen only:
If Kurt has been around a battlefield or military hospital, you find it unmistakably similar to the stomach-turning scent of gangrene.


By the by, I'm also noting here that the money Kurt is carrying has dropped from 20 gc (including the 5 gc party funds) to 19 gc 19 s 8 p. Is there a convention for how to note such things, since we're not using dynamic sheets?

Yes. Your money should be listed on your sheet in the OOC thread, and you should hit "edit" to update that sheet anytime something changes (lose/regain wounds, spend a Fortune point, spend money, etc...).

It can be helpful to link your character sheet in your signature so you never have to go looking for it.

Another_Poet
2013-11-25, 02:37 PM
I'll wait for word from Matt before updating Aquin/Ren.

Cognomen
2013-11-28, 10:00 AM
Drew, thanks for all the info! I've updated Kurt's sheet appropriately (for future reference, it is indeed linked to in the spoiler that is my sig).

On a random note, I suspect I'm having too much fun playing up Kurt's misogyny (or is it more that I'm poking him in the misogyny?). Oh well... I can let him cling to his illusions a bit longer, I suppose...

Someone asked me a while ago what I work on that's game-related. I'm a sleep-deprived dissertator who (like most dissertators) can't resist that question forever, so: I'm writing on the obsessive and co-constitutive narrative-building relation between the reader/player/consumer of very long, complex texts and the texts themselves. Some of my primary texts are open-world video game RPGs (my department - literature - is known as, uh, let's elide "loony" and go with "forward-thinking"). As I write, the thing turns more and more into being about games. I'll include a bit on tabletop RPGs, which means I get to claim GitP games are work-related :smallbiggrin: It also means that I might suddenly pepper all of you with random questions about how you relate to playing Warhammer & D&D, heh.

Oh! And a happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Amerrucans.

theherocc
2013-11-30, 03:37 PM
Hey all, Aquin is going to have to go on autopilot for a couple of weeks. This whole moving to a new country thing is creating more tasks and projects than I anticipated. I will try to post as I can, but move on without me as soon as the time limit is up.

Matt

Another_Poet
2013-12-04, 11:30 AM
Cognomen, your dissertation research sounds fascinating to me. I'm happy to be a respondent if you do need more gamers (or writers), and I'd also enjoy reading it whenever you have a presentable draft.

Have you read Art of Immersion by Frank Rose?


Hey all, Aquin is going to have to go on autopilot for a couple of weeks. This whole moving to a new country thing is creating more tasks and projects than I anticipated. I will try to post as I can, but move on without me as soon as the time limit is up.

Understandable. Ben told me he'll be facing stiff work demands in the New Year, so you two might be on a slow-down. Ben, any chance Ren can take lead for the next couple weeks and then tag out with Aquin?



While constructing my last post, I learned that she is in fact riffling, not rifling (http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/rifle-v-riffle). #TheMoreYouKnow

.....fascinating. I have been educated.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/77452/the-more-you-know-o.gif

Another_Poet
2013-12-05, 09:01 PM
Thea, give me a roll to pocket the letters without Grigor seeing. The target is half your Agility score (half, because you lack the relevant Skill).

Second, give me a Toughness test.

...and on that suspenseful note, I'll need to hold off on updating for you until we see something from Cognomen, because your timeline is getting ahead of hers.

Speaking of which, <pokes with stick> Cognomen, we need you!

Tranquil
2013-12-06, 09:21 PM
Thea, give me a roll to pocket the letters without Grigor seeing. The target is half your Agility score (half, because you lack the relevant Skill).

Second, give me a Toughness test.

...and on that suspenseful note, I'll need to hold off on updating for you until we see something from Cognomen, because your timeline is getting ahead of hers.

Speaking of which, <pokes with stick> Cognomen, we need you!

Is it too late to think better of pocketing the letters and instead try "absentmindedly" wandering off with them still in her hand, held at her side? (Of course, if I fail the toughness roll, it could all be for naught.)

Toughness: <roll>d100</roll>

Cognomen is out of town for a few weeks, but she has been nudged by me as well.

Tranquil
2013-12-06, 09:25 PM
[roll0] Actual Toughness roll, out of 33 plus a 3 bonus.

Another_Poet
2013-12-07, 12:09 AM
TB (toughness bonus) is a derived stat used for absorbing damage, so the target number here is still 33. But that's a great roll!

If you're trying to abscond the letters by acting, rather than sleight of hand, then roll vs half of Fel instead :)

Tranquil
2013-12-07, 03:20 AM
. But that's a great roll!



She is a stone cold gangsta.

[roll0]

Tranquil
2013-12-07, 03:21 AM
Um. </sad trombone>

I jinxededed it.

Tranquil
2013-12-09, 09:41 AM
Triple-posting juuust in case Elodie's' Perception score turns up anything else of interest about the room or the remains. [roll0] vs. 31.

Also, she has a 31 in Knowledge of Law, should that be of any use with the correspondence or when we deal with Mr. TC, which I assume will not be very far in the future.

Another_Poet
2013-12-09, 01:29 PM
when we deal with Mr. TC, which I assume will not be very far in the future.

:smallamused:

Are you taking anything else from what you found, or just the three letters?

Also, once again we're waiting on a Kurt update to advance the Elodie/Kurt timeline.

I'll message Ben and see if he's able to post for the other timeline.

Tranquil
2013-12-10, 02:21 AM
:smallamused:

Are you taking anything else from what you found, or just the three letters?

Also, once again we're waiting on a Kurt update to advance the Elodie/Kurt timeline.

I'll message Ben and see if he's able to post for the other timeline.

Just how small is the wooden lockbox? Is it locked?

Come to think of it, I wonder why there's no platting map of the old cemetery. Not viable real estate?

I think Cognomen is at least partly in offline family-time mode, but I will ping her. She'll be out of town through next week.

Another_Poet
2013-12-10, 02:34 PM
Just how small is the wooden lockbox? Is it locked?

Small enough to fit in a desk drawer :smallsmile:
Probably awkward to slip into your pocket/satchel. You haven't tried opening it; feel free to edit it into your last post if you want to check.

Tranquil
2013-12-11, 05:38 PM
Probably awkward to slip into your pocket/satchel. You haven't tried opening it; feel free to edit it into your last post if you want to check.

I felt that freedom and acted on it.

Cognomen
2013-12-13, 06:19 AM
Cognomen is more precisely in "omg I'm allergic to the entire East Coast when will it stop" mode, but yes, also pressing family responsibilities that contribute to my losing track of time. I do apologize, though - it should be easier to post regularly from here on out, and I go home soon.

Cognomen
2013-12-13, 07:23 AM
Cognomen, your dissertation research sounds fascinating to me. I'm happy to be a respondent if you do need more gamers (or writers), and I'd also enjoy reading it whenever you have a presentable draft.

Have you read Art of Immersion by Frank Rose?


I missed this when it was first posted! Poet, thank you for the offer, and I will certainly be happy to spread around the geeky when indeed there's a presentable draft (god only knows when that will be). As for the Rose book, I haven't read it, but I've jotted it down for library-prospectin'...

Another_Poet
2013-12-13, 12:35 PM
Cognomen is more precisely in "omg I'm allergic to the entire East Coast when will it stop" mode, but yes, also pressing family responsibilities

Why is it that everyone from the East Coast hates going back to visit family?

By everyone I mean 2 out of 2 people, because science.

Cognomen
2013-12-13, 05:22 PM
Oh, all things considered I like the east coast a lot - the south just has this issue with mold growing inside houses, and i'm not so good with mold... or stressful family emergencies. But hey, there's real barbecue! And trees that actually act normal in the winter!

Another_Poet
2013-12-13, 09:03 PM
But hey, there's real barbecue!

I'm sensing some Carolinas over there?

Aaand I'm drooling.

Cognomen
2013-12-14, 12:38 AM
Indeed - North Carolina to be precise. I don't really consider myself a North Carolinian despite (mostly) growing up here (it's a long and boring story), but I will defend to the death the fact that North Carolina has the best barbecue.

I wonder if TSA would object to my bringing several gallons of it back to CA...?

Another_Poet
2013-12-14, 08:59 AM
Having had both, I'd say Memphis has the best <ducks>


I wonder if TSA would object to my bringing several gallons of it back to CA...?

Not at all. In 3.4-oz containers, of course.

Once we have an Elodie post I can update you guys.

Cognomen
2013-12-19, 12:15 PM
Having had both, I'd say Memphis has the best <ducks>


....!! I'll pretend I didn't read that :smallwink: (I'm not sure North Carolinians even consider Memphis barbecue barbecue, actually - depends on whether the sauce is vinegar-based. Which is probably more talk of barbecue than anyone needed to read.)

By the way do Tranquil and I need to be rolling anything for bluffing?

Another_Poet
2013-12-19, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I'd say that in general I actually like the vinegar style barbecue better, it's just amazing. It was only a specific place's dry barbecue in Memphis that holds the top spot in my mind.


By the way do Tranquil and I need to be rolling anything for bluffing?

Normally Charm, but in this case I'll roll it in secret.

Another_Poet
2013-12-27, 01:12 PM
Reaching out cautiously here...

I'm hoping the silence is just holidays-related, but if anyone is uncomfortable with the writeup I gave Aquin, please let me know (here or privately).

My goal was to make it completely non-explicit, while also giving enough detail to understand what goes on in there. My intention was to do this artfully, and also to skip past any actual roleplay of the scene, to avoid awkwardness.

But please let me know if it bothers anyone. I don't anticipate more scenes like that, and I can edit out the last one to "fade to black" if you prefer.

theherocc
2013-12-27, 05:42 PM
Uncomfortable? I was waiting for the good bits.

Toughness [roll0] - target 37.

Another_Poet
2014-01-03, 04:12 PM
Okay, holidays are over! I hope everyone had an amazing New Year's and is heretofore rocking 2014.

Also, let us kill some mutants, rat people and/or cultists. Or, mayhaps, enjoy the wine of dead men and the finer whorehouses of middle-class Sigmerica.

Waitin' on... everybody :smallcool:

Cognomen
2014-01-10, 08:49 AM
Nah, no discomfort here, just sucking holiday voooooid.

I haz question! Given's Kurt positioning in the room (presumably farther than the door than Elodie), would he have overheard the same bits of conversation?

Another_Poet
2014-01-10, 09:57 AM
If you want, we can say he moved over by the closed door to eavesdrop as well. It will be quite clear to Mannfried what you're both doing, but if you wanna say you moved over and listened, that's fine.

Cognomen
2014-01-11, 01:16 PM
Oh I totally missed this answer to my question - huh. I normally get an email update. Good thing we thought alike!

I shall now proceed to have "Once in a Lifetime" stuck in my head for the rest of the day, and I have no one but myself to blame. (Just be thankful youtube's blocked the video. ...Or, you know, be sad.)

Another_Poet
2014-01-11, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I generally recommend against the e-mail subscription for two reasons: the alerts are not reliable (never have been), and if someone edits their post after posting it, which I do often, you only see the pre-edited version in your email. Sometimes you miss something.

Instead my suggestion is to bookmark giantitp.com/forums/subscription.php, which shows all your subscriptions and which ones have new posts. If you get in the habit of checking it once a day (over morning coffee, for instance, or on lunch break) you'll never miss anything, and it tends to improve posting rate too.

Tranquil
2014-01-12, 12:29 AM
If Kurt was also eavesdropping, Elodie would not have gestured, and she has no intention of going into the room herself. But she would...um...encourage Kurt to go see if Father Grigor needs any sort of assistance. Audible gasps and choking sounds seem like a plausible excuse to pop in.

Do we retcon?

Cognomen
2014-01-12, 06:41 AM
Von Lansing clearly dismissed the Von Stadlers, though. Even if Kurt weren't slightly afraid of her (though he'd never admit it), he's been trained to follow orders from institutional authority figures for so long that I can't imagine him agreeing to enter the room uninvited. Of course, that doesn't mean Elodie can't try asking him :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2014-01-12, 11:37 AM
To reduce confusion, let's play it as it lies: both were eavesdropping, and Elodie has now said, "Come on."

That could mean come on, we're leaving or come on, Imma open this door. Seems the next move is up to Elodie.

Another_Poet
2014-01-15, 01:56 AM
Ohhhhh I love Elodie.

Cognomen
2014-01-16, 09:37 PM
That last update: wow. Ha, is it twisted of me that I'm pretty much hoping Kurt will fail this WP check and earn himself an insanity point? (I mean, it's not like he's going to react to all this with much in the way of composure, but still.)

Let's see what happens:

Will Power: [roll0] (target 31)

ETA: Ha! Insanity point: achievement unlocked! But I read somewhere it takes several before the PC gets assigned a disorder?

Also, I'm still working out exactly how Kurt is going to react, but I think it's safe to assume that Consume Alcohol tests will become necessary indeed.

Another_Poet
2014-01-18, 09:21 PM
Correct. Your shiny new Insanity Point imparts no Disorder on its own, and no mechanical penalty. It may simply be sickening/outraging. It's up to you to roleplay how the event affects him, either immediately or long-term. Insanity Point reactions are some of my favorite Warhammer moments.

Especially fun since Kurt has always been so chaste.

Edit: Just saw it. Perfectly done.

Looking for posts from Elodie and Aquin.

Cognomen
2014-01-19, 09:47 AM
Especially fun since Kurt has always been so chaste.

Edit: Just saw it. Perfectly done.


Thanks. I can only imagine Kurt taking this really badly, especially at this particularly point in his life. As we've established, he's seen battlefield horrors before, but never anything like that... and I will now spare y'all the psychoanalytic analysis of exactly why he's freaking out. Suffice to say that I don't think he's going to be able to do much today besides have a meltdown.

On a related note - Morr is Kurt's patron deity, so if he should feel the need for religious guidance (say, tomorrow, after whatever he ends up doing), he'd be stuck with Grigor as the person to go to, yes? That adds an interesting little twist.

Another_Poet
2014-01-19, 09:41 PM
On a related note - Morr is Kurt's patron deity, so if he should feel the need for religious guidance (say, tomorrow, after whatever he ends up doing), he'd be stuck with Grigor as the person to go to, yes? That adds an interesting little twist.

In a sense. Kurt could certainly go to Grigor, but Morrites are typically withdrawn and less concerned with the goings-on of life. The world is also truly polytheistic, and there would be nothing unusual about going to the clergy of the other gods.

Another_Poet
2014-01-20, 11:58 AM
Sophie and Thea: I get the sense Aquin is about to leave the brothel, and he's been in there a good two hours (if not more) in game time, putting him way ahead of your timeline.

I may have an easy solution.

You might have noticed that a few weeks ago there were about a dozen Aquin posts back-to-back in one day. That's because Matt and I found an afternoon we'd both be available and banged out a bunch back-and-forth all at once. Maybe the we could do the same for Elodie and Kurt?

My schedule is pretty flexible, so if you want to choose a time this week that we could all be online at once, we could probably cover a whole lot of ground in 1-2 hours or so.

Let me know what you think.

Another_Poet
2014-01-21, 03:07 PM
Updated. I just put a prompt up for Kurt/Elodie, because it's pretty much your move what you do here.

As a refresher, here are things I recall you wanted to do today:

► Visit to the famed pacifist-philanthropist of Kusel, Master Duncan Vargas.
► Meet with Grigor to debrief (he may be a short while)
► Check out the latest robbed grave - Grigor said another one was struck last night
► Investigate Talver Cassbach, Esq., named in Gruber's letters
► Meet up with Aquin & Ren (though it's too early for this)

...I may be forgetting some, and of course, recent events may have changed your priorities. I just thought the list would help jog memory.

Another_Poet
2014-02-01, 10:25 PM
So we are looking for posts from both Sophie and Thea.

Also, although I realize you have no context, I just had the most fun in the world writing up this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16911961#post16911961) for my other Warhammer game. It may amuse you.

Cognomen
2014-02-01, 10:46 PM
Fun fact! Email notifications are not working! Well, that'll teach me to rely on them after I've been warned they don't work properly... :smallannoyed:

Another_Poet
2014-02-02, 01:17 AM
Hehe.


HAPPY BIRTHDAY PLAYERS!

Virgins to the Night has officially been a thing that is happening for 1 whole year!

This makes me happy, because it means a game idea I dreamed up on my bicycle is interesting enough to actually keep people's attention. It also represents a lot of growth in all of your characters and a lot of cool scenes that I never could have predicted.

I had originally expected that the whole game might finish in about a year, whereas we're still on Act I... even so, I'm really happy with the depth to which you guys have explored the sandbox, and if that means a longer arc it's still a win in my book. Looking back, I even miss the million Gossip checks you guys used to make, which were kind of fun.

(I even made a Gossip list after like the 8th time, then never had to use it. I just grabbed a chunk of it recently for Tag and Elodie's conversation.)

I'm open to ideas for how to celebrate our Warriversary. One idea is: if you either write a story relating to your character, or draw a portrait of them, you get bonus XP.

Does this appeal to anyone?

theherocc
2014-02-03, 07:54 PM
Bonus XP? Do we even get XP? ;)

Another_Poet
2014-02-03, 08:16 PM
For not chasing the bad guys? No, you do not. :smallamused:

But I hear what you're saying. I generally give XP for achieving major goals or defeating enemies (through combat or non-combat means). I give out bonus XP for moments of great roleplay, and whenever something strikes me as particularly exceptional (a moment of bravery, a cunning plan, etc.).

Normally I'll give it out after each numbered Scene in the story (if you accomplish stuff in that scene). Some of your actions went substantially outside of what I expected, so there's actually been more scenes in Act I than originally planned.

The story idea would be a chance for XP outside of all that.

Another_Poet
2014-02-17, 07:51 PM
Looks like Aquin and Kurt are good without GM intervention... I'll let you two sort everything :smallamused:

Thea, did I miss some other cue you are waiting for from me/Duncan, or do you just hate justice? :smallwink:

Tranquil
2014-02-19, 03:49 AM
Looks like Aquin and Kurt are good without GM intervention... I'll let you two sort everything :smallamused:

Thea, did I miss some other cue you are waiting for from me/Duncan, or do you just hate justice? :smallwink:

I wasn't sure what to say to Duncan, then life swooped in and carried me away.

http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1385942799/337/9466337.jpg

Also, I hate justice.

Another_Poet
2014-02-22, 04:17 PM
http://static2.stuff.co.nz/1385942799/337/9466337.jpg


Heh. :smallamused:

Virgins to the Night: now with more philosophic diatribes than a samurai movie!

theherocc
2014-02-22, 04:54 PM
Aquin has been leaning against the door the entire time, so I think you may have missed a paragraph between Percy being uncomfortable and then walking out the door.

Another_Poet
2014-02-22, 06:32 PM
Got it. He's attempting to leave, not out yet - I assumed you'd intervene. Consider him to be reaching for the doorknob, with or without you there. I'll edit, because I forgot you were literally at the door.

theherocc
2014-02-26, 05:35 PM
I'm going to wait for Kurt's response before going further.

Another_Poet
2014-02-26, 08:04 PM
Fair enough, but be aware Sophie's dealing with a mold infestation and has no reliable internet; if we don't get a Kurt post within 24 hours I'm going to autopilot him.

Another_Poet
2014-03-16, 03:32 PM
Opposed Strength Tests

[roll0] Percy

vs

[roll1] Aquin

If I remember correctly, when both sides fail an opposed roll, the side who fails by the least is the winner. With a Strength of 37, Aquin wins. I'll edit the IC.

theherocc
2014-03-17, 01:27 AM
I'll use a Fortune Point if needed. [roll0]

Mistyped "I'll use a Fortune Point if needed. [roll]d100[/100]" initially.

Another_Poet
2014-03-17, 01:58 AM
Well if you divide 73 by 100 then it's a success....

Initiative!

Percy - [roll0]
Aquin - [roll1]
Ren - [roll2]
Kurt - blotto

edit: wowza. Well, I'll post Percy's action and then you can post for both you and Ren.

double edit: You know, it's the funniest thing, I went back and re-read all the posts since the whorehouse and you never did search him for weapons. Huh. :smallamused:

Another_Poet
2014-03-17, 12:59 PM
To Grapple, you have to succeed on an attack roll (Ren succeeds) and then the target gets an Agility roll to avoid.

Agility: [roll0]

There are no specific rules for dealing nonlethal damage with a lethal weapon, but there are rules for Unarmed Fighting. Fists deal 1d10+SB-4 damage and armor points count double against them. Clearly, armor is not an issue in this case.

I'd say a sword should deal more damage than a fist, even on the flat or using the pommel to punch him. Let's put it at 1d10+SB-3, the same as a Gauntlet.

Note that this is technically still lethal damage, but the smaller damage increments mean you're less likely to insta-kill him on a crit. Keeping him alive is, I assume, what you're going for.

theherocc
2014-03-17, 09:41 PM
If Ren has him grappled after Percy's fail, can Aquin simply put his sword point up against Percy's chest and tell him to give it up? Particularly if Ren automatically keeps him held on this turn.

Again, this is where I get a little anti-dice rolling :)

Also, Fortune Points reset every day, so I just get one per day.

Another_Poet
2014-03-18, 02:24 AM
Also, Fortune Points reset every day, so I just get one per day.

Right, but you've already used yours for today, and your sheet still says you have it. What I want to avoid is the situation where we're still in the same IC day three real-life weeks from now, and you forget you used it.

If you want to use your turn to put your sword at Percy's throat and ask him to surrender, go for it; I can't disclose whether he will comply or keep fighting.

theherocc
2014-03-18, 10:50 PM
Forgot damage.

Aquin - d10-3+3
Ren - d10-4+4

theherocc
2014-03-18, 10:52 PM
That obviously didn't work.

Aquin - [roll0]
Ren - [roll1]

Another_Poet
2014-03-18, 11:25 PM
Percy has now taken some Wounds, and is determined to keep struggling; if you're willing to keep battering him till you knock him out, we can resolve a few rounds all at once.

If you like, go ahead and roll, say, four rounds of attack and damage for Aquin, and four rounds of Strength and damage for Ren, and I'll roll for Percy.

Cognomen
2014-04-06, 12:44 AM
Well, the mold situation is by no means over but things appear to be calming down now that we've found a place to live... so I think I can safely say that I am once again able to post. It would be foolish of me to promise daily posts until after we're actually done moving, but that will be in the next ten days or so.

Meanwhile, I have popped back in to the center of a fight! I'm going to have to go read up on the rules involved, because all I know how to do fighting-and-rpg-wise is roll a d20 and I have a sneaking feeling that isn't what we're going for here....

Another_Poet
2014-04-07, 10:07 AM
Right, it's all d100's trying to roll lower than the relevant stat. The combat section of the book is, I think, one of the more straightforward of any RPG I've read, but let me know if you have questions.

But additionally... you have voluntarily become stinking drunk. That means every round you have to do one of the following:

1. Spend a Half Action (one of your two actions per round) just keeping your bearings, or
2. Use your actions how you want but roll on the table on p. 115.

Obviously if you choose (1) you cannot both move and attack in the same turn.

Another_Poet
2014-04-12, 01:48 AM
If I'm understanding the manual correctly, this uses up my available action... half action to draw the weapon and another half action to move, I think?

That is correct.

Okay, guys, here's the deal. It's been a month on this scene (maybe more?) mostly due to absent players. And HeroCC's hatred of dice rolls.

Until Kurt came to, the plan was to just hold down Percy and bludgeon him with the least force possible, hoping he neither (a) gets mortally wounded, (b) manages to escape or (c) crits any of you guys before you knock him out.

So I had asked HeroCC to roll up four rounds' of actions all at once, figuring that would pretty much finish the scene one way or another. HeroCC has not done this yet.

Now, however, we also have Kurt in the fray. So Cognomen: are you going to join the try-not-to-kill-him party? Or are you going to keep rolling on the drunk table?

If the former, can we all go ahead and roll 4 rounds of actions? If the latter, we should take this round by round. In which case, let's roll a round worth of actions :smallsmile:

Cognomen
2014-04-14, 03:58 PM
Everyone, a quick note -- Drew already knows this I think -- Tranquil and I had to move to another city this weekend and we have no internet at home at the moment. I'm staying 2-3 nights a week in the town where I work, so I should be able to post tonight PST, but I have no idea when she'll be able to.

Cognomen
2014-04-16, 03:18 AM
But on the subject of Kurt - I would personally, for the party's sake, have Kurt join the try-not-to-kill-Percy party - and I figure Kurt might've slept off some of the alcohol? - but as I understand the rules, am I not obliged to keep rolling on the drunk table?

Another_Poet
2014-04-18, 12:14 AM
Right, as it happened you weren't close enough to attack last round, and you are not compelled to try again this round. If you choose to take only one action per round you can avoid further Drunk rolls.

You are now in melee range, and have sword in hand; if you wish to use it with reduced force see the ruling I made for Aquin a few posts up.

So on to business:

HeroCC, if you will roll 4 Grapple damage rolls for Ren, and 4 attacks for Aquin;
Cognomen, if you will roll 4 attacks for Kurt;

...then I will roll 4 attempts at escaping Grapple for Percy.

If you guys get him into Crits, I'll assume he passes out and you stop (unless the first crit kills him).

The rolls can go here in the OOC thread.

theherocc
2014-04-18, 12:29 AM
Ren just needs a d100, I believe.

1. [roll0]
2. [roll1]
3. [roll2]
4. [roll3]

Aquin needs damage as well.
WS 43 and SB 3

1. [roll4] & [roll5]
2. [roll6] & [roll7]
3. [roll8] & [roll9]
4. [roll10] & [roll11]

Cognomen
2014-04-18, 06:35 AM
Aargh, I just found a post I thought I had, well, posted, days ago, sitting in a tab in Firefox. That's what I just put up. My apologies :smalleek:

Hokay, 4 attacks (vs 32):

1.
2. [roll1]
3. [roll2]
4. [roll3]

Damage (Weapon Skill 36, SB appears to be 0? so I'm just rolling d10s)

1. [roll]d10- &
2. [roll]d10- &
3. [roll]d10- &
4. [roll]d10- & [roll7]

Doh!! The wages of trying to use the forum dice roller at 4:30 am. I'll try those last d100 rolls again.

Cognomen
2014-04-18, 06:36 AM
Here we go:

1. [roll0]
2. [roll1]
3. [roll2]
4. [roll3]

Another_Poet
2014-04-21, 02:18 AM
Cognomen, Damage is d100 d10 rolls, modified by the weapon type and your SB. I'll ignore the second set of d100 rolls.

But if you want to roll damage for 4 rounds, much appreciated. Otherwise I'll roll it for you when I sort out what the heck's happening tomorrow.

Edit: that was a terrible typo on my part, I meant d10 rolls.

Another_Poet
2014-04-23, 12:25 PM
Okay let's sort this out.

Cognomen, see my note above: damage is always d10's, not d100's. It's modified by the weapon (in this case -4 for using the flat of a sword) and your Strength Bonus (SB). So for you that's a total of d10-1.

HeroCC, Ren can maintain the grapple for free (it's up to Percy to break it); I'll assume those Str rolls were to attempt to inflict unarmed damage, so I'll roll damage for Ren.

Does Percy escape at any point?
Percy [roll0] Str: ?? vs Ren [roll1] Str: 40 - breaks free in first
Percy [roll2] Str: ?? vs Ren [roll3] Str: 40 - restablishes the grapple
Percy [roll4] Str: ?? vs Ren [roll5] Str: 40 - stays grappled
Percy [roll6] Str: ?? vs Ren [roll7] Str: 40 - stays grappled

If any of these are a success for Percy, I'll assume Ren tries to re-establish the grapple.


Ren

1. (d100)[6] - deals [roll8] damage I'll treat this an attack roll to re-grapple Percy in Round 2. Success.
2. (d100)[21] - deals [roll9] damage - 1 damage in Round 3
3. (d100)[1] - deals [roll10] damage - seven damage in Round 4
4. (d100)[2] - deals [roll11] damage

Aquin

When Percy is grappled you get +20% to hit, so target is 63:
1. (d100)[76] & (d10)[6]
2. (d100)[1] & (d10)[5] -1 = 5 Wounds (2 after soak)
3. (d100)[82] & (d10)[5]
4. (d100)[41] & (d10)[3] -1 = 3 wounds (all soaked)


Kurt

When Percy is grappled you get +20% to hit, so target is 52:
1. (1d100)[58] & (1d10)[7]a
2. (1d100)[16] & (1d10)[2] -1 = 1 wound (all soaked)
3. (1d100)[99] & (1d10)[6]
4. (1d100)[38] & (1d10)[1] -1 = 0 wounds (all soaked)

Edit: crits below

Another_Poet
2014-04-23, 12:38 PM
Results

So at the end of 4 rounds Percy is still grappled and potentially quite dead.

In round 2 he takes a hit from Aquin, reducing him to 5 Wounds.
In round 3 he takes damage from Ren, reducing him to 4 Wounds.
In round 4 he is reduced to 0 wounds and a +3 crit in the Head.

Crit roll: [roll0]

Result: Alive. Knocked to the ground and dazed. IC post coming up.

theherocc
2014-04-23, 06:06 PM
Did you forget to add Strength Bonus to the damage?

Another_Poet
2014-04-23, 11:08 PM
Nope. For Ren it's 1d10-4 +4 SB = straight d10.

Aquin and Kurt have SB 3 so it's d10-1 total.

Another_Poet
2014-04-26, 12:53 AM
I'm forcing action for Kurt. It's been 3 days.

Another_Poet
2014-04-28, 12:40 AM
Okay, new update is up!

Note: let's assume that Kurt is moving past the "so drunk I can barely walk" phase and into the "early stages of a terrible hangover" stage. He did, after all, have several hours of rest... and it will just be a lot better for everyone if Sophie is allowed to roleplay something other than just "I try not to vomit." :smallamused:

Cognomen
2014-05-06, 11:32 AM
Oh, wait, did Aquin actually leave the room?

Another_Poet
2014-05-06, 02:05 PM
I didn't read it that way. He essentially just bowed out of the conversation and is doing his usual hanging-out-looking-bored thing, if I understood correctly.

I'll do an update (with that in mind) later today; HeroCC, if that's wrong just let us know and I can edit.

Another_Poet
2014-05-11, 11:48 PM
So, I was going to wait until you guys wrapped up this case to hand out more XP, but since it's dragging out quite a bit...

For All:
200 XP for tracking and apprehending Percy

Bonus XP:
Aquin - 50 for actually doing most of the tracking and apprehending
Kurt - 50 for roleplay

theherocc
2014-05-13, 01:48 AM
Updated Aquin with Agility and Fellowship advances.

Cognomen
2014-05-13, 04:44 AM
Ooo, shiny XP! I'll figure out what this means in terms of updating Kurt tonight or tomorrow (atm I'm scrambling to read 80 pages of theory and somehow still get some sleep).

Another_Poet
2014-05-22, 11:31 PM
Cognomen, did you figure out what advances you're taking?

Tranquil, you?

Also, I've decided to open up this game to new players and just posted it to my other Warhammer group. We need to pick up the pace and often new blood will do that.

As part of recruiting, I did a write up of the story so far which you may (or may not) find useful/fun:

The story so far (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?296204-Wreck-of-the-Innocent-Daughter-WFRP-(OOC)&p=17511059#post17511059).

TheAnnoyingNoob
2014-05-25, 09:55 AM
New guy reporting! I'll be rolling up a Rhyan Initiate ASAP.

Another_Poet
2014-05-25, 12:34 PM
Welcome aboard, TAN :smallsmile:


edited to add: It's unlikely that you're from Kusel, which has a shrine to Rhya tended by the Daughters of Rhya (mostly the old biddies of the town) but no real Rhyan clergy.

Also, as I recall clergy of Rhya and Taal can both be of either gender (correct me if I''m wrong) so don't feel constricted on that account. I do suppose Rhyans are most often female though.

TheAnnoyingNoob
2014-05-25, 01:14 PM
Also, as I recall clergy of Rhya and Taal can both be of either gender (correct me if I''m wrong) so don't feel constricted on that account. I do suppose Rhyans are most often female though.

I'm fairly certain your right about this. It's like how most Shallyans are female but could certainly be male.

Rolls!
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
W: [roll8]
FP: [roll9]
Random Talent: [roll10]

TheAnnoyingNoob
2014-05-25, 01:37 PM
Connie Lutzen, Initiate of Rhya and Taal (though mostly Rhya)

WS: 27 (natural)
BS: 23 (Natural)
S: 31 (23, Shallya's Mercy)
T: 32
Ag: 35 (+5 lightning reflexes)
Int: 39 (+5 suave)
WP: 38
Fel: 44 (+5 savvy)

A: 1
W: 13
SB: 3
TB: 3
M: 4
Mag: 0
IP: 0/10
FP: 3/3

Skills:
Academic Knowledge (Astronomy)
Academic Knowledge (Theology)
Common Knowledge (the Empire)
Speak Language (Classical)
Speak Language (Reikspiel) +10
Charm
Heal
Perception
Read/Write
Outdoor Survival +10
Follow Trail

Talents:
Lightning Reflexes
Public Speaking
Suave
Savvy

Trappings:
Religious Symbol (pendant w/ a deer horn and wheat design)
Robe
[roll0]gc
(Stuff everyone gets)

Appearance:Just over five and a half feet tall, Connie is a cheery young woman with a childishly cute face and a tangled mop of brown hair atop her head. She is currently tanned from her time outdoors. Her face is unblemished at first glance but any sort of inspection would reveal faint pox marks. Her eyes are a golden amber in color, something she has always liked about her appearance.

Bio:

Another_Poet
2014-05-26, 11:48 PM
Okay, I've gone ahead and updated without waiting for Kurt; HeroCC, assume you're free to just take the lead with minimal input from Kurt.

TAN, welcome aboard! I'll get a post up with the background and special info you start with, hopefully tonight but at latest tomorrow.

Meanwhile, some questions on your character.... for starters, where did you get your stats from? They don't match your rolls, unless I'm missing something?

Secondly, you know you get two random talents, right? You only rolled one :]

Another_Poet
2014-05-27, 01:09 AM
Okay! Stuff for Connie:


If you want, you can have the spiral symbol or a deer talisman a your holy object. If you like antlers with grain, that's fine.
You may want to review the Strictures on p. 179 of the core rulebook.
Totally optional, but there's a lot of cool stuff in the supplement Tome of Salvation. If you don't have a copy, I can get you a digital one - let me know if you're interested, and an email address.


* * * All spoilers in this post are for Connie only! * * *

Stuff You Know:

There is a group of women in Kusel called the Daughters of Rhya. Officially, the Daughters of Rhya refers to order of initiated clergy, but in many towns and villages it's a term used by lay women who maintain Rhya's shrine and perform offerings to her for the community. Often they know a bit of her herbal lore as well.

Usually the Daughters are older women, especially in larger towns where bourgeois daughters and granddaughters skip past Rhya's shrine while the old women, a generation closer to farm life, still keep her ways. That is definitely the case in Kusel.

You've met the Daughters of Rhya, which has eight regular members who meet as a sort of social club as well as religious service group. By spending time with them, you've picked up on their gossip and complaints.

All of them agree that this year has been a terrible year for miscarriages and stillborn.

Additionally, they told you in confidence that a number of the men in town are having problems performing with their wives. Some even complain of pain in their privates. This is something not to talk about in front of the men, but among the women it's no secret.


Sora:

Sora is the Hierarch of Rhya in Talabecland. That means she is the highest ranking clergyperson (equal to the Hierarch of Taal) in the entire province. And as Talabecland is the center of the strongest cult of Taal and Rhya, she's probably the most influential Rhyan in the realm.

Sora is in her forties and quite beautiful with dark, white-touched hair. She moves in a sensual way. She can be quite flirty when it suits her.

She doesn't always attend the Talassa festivities in Kusel, so this year is a special treat for the townspeople. How and why you picked up with Sora is up to you.

You can call her simply Sora; like most Rhyans she's not much for formalities outside of rituals and formal oaths (where she would be called Mother).

During your novitiate you would have had a mentor, a Priestess of Rhya, who would certainly have been someone lower ranking. (It's novices < initiates < priestesses < High Priestesses < Hierarch).

You and Sora have spent the last few nights in the Lord's Wood outside of town.

About Talassa:
I need to pull together the information about Talassa that's already been shared in the IC thread. But here's some stuff directly from my notes, which the other players may not even know...

Talassa is a regional festival across Talabecland, and Kusel has one of the biggest and most well known Talassa celebrations. It lasts for several days and marks the grain harvest.

One of Kusel's peculiar celebrations is the Run, in which young men on horseback race through town, across the Kuswick River, and up into the hills above town to an old megalith known as the Bed of Rhya.

Women in general wear a blue ribbon, or a ribbon with a flower, on their right ankle during Talassa. If a man gets her ribbon or flower, she has to kiss him to get it back. If she does, he is supposed to marry her.

Young men often wear “antlers” made of branches on their heads; women wear crowns of flowers.

Weddings are prohibited during Talassa; they are considered to never last.

The colors of the festival are gold and green but blue is often used too because blue flowers are in season. The whole town is decorated in these colors.

There is no permanent clergy of Taal and Rhya in Kusel, but either a priest or priestess normally arrives in time for the festival. Actually, a priest/priestess of Taal comes every year, a priestess of Rhya not always. One year the priest did not arrive in time and the Daughters of Rhya started the festivity instead. But this was considered a very bad omen.

The priest who attends is currently, and has been for decades, high priest Rand. He is an old card and incredibly popular. He will have women's blue garters on his headdress in no time. But he is known for being very level headed.

This year, Sora, hierarch of Rhya, will come too. She will give her blue headdress to the winner of the Run, and whoever he gives it to has to marry him. If she was not there the Daughters would choose a young woman to play the part at the Bed.

Other festivities include sports, prizefighting, and poetry and music contests.


Your Mission:

Many women have complained to Sora about the miscarriages and the men's problems. At first, Sora dispensed some herbal remedies. But as the number of complaints piles up, Sora is worried that there is something darker causing them.

She has tasked you to investigate for her. There's no clear place to start, but apparently there was quite a scene in town last night - and elf and his band of thugs drew a sword on a local man and chased him halfway across town. The gendarmes are overworked, and since no one was hurt they dismiss the story as drunken antics. But witnesses say the elf accused the man of grave robbing and witchcraft.

You have found out where the elf and his crew are staying, at the Ritten House inn. It's on the Market plaza... conveniently not a hundred steps from the Shrine of Rhya.

I hope this isn't too much info-dump. Just trying to bring you up to speed. Let me know if any of this is hard to work with or you have questions. (Spoiler stuff for my eyes only if needed.)

theherocc
2014-05-27, 03:39 AM
rude, arrogant, impatient

Have you been reading the same story? Aquin has been the picture of patience with these useless, idiotic humans.

Another_Poet
2014-06-04, 12:16 AM
Tan, wonderng if you saw this:


Meanwhile, some questions on your character.... for starters, where did you get your stats from? They don't match your rolls, unless I'm missing something?

Secondly, you know you get two random talents, right? You only rolled one :]

Everybody else, I will get up an update soon. It's always hard after a long slowdown.

TheAnnoyingNoob
2014-06-04, 10:59 PM
Whoops! Was using the rules for people from a given Provence from Sigmar's Heirs. I'll go back and check stats. Also, reeeealy have to apologize for staggering things out. Hopped into a bunch of off-site RPs and had a sink or swim moment. Guess which happened.

Another_Poet
2014-06-06, 08:00 PM
Haha I understand. With the slowdown here I've been a little out of it too. I also need to talk to Tranquil and Cognomen and see if they plan to continue long-term, given the recent absence.

TAN, let me know when your stats are updated. I have a plan to introduce Connie.

Tranquil
2014-06-09, 01:32 AM
Tan, welcome to Kusel. Glad to have you aboard.

Putting this behind a spoiler tag for Drew since it's long and dull, but everyone is welcome to read it, if they happen to be in a long and dull mood:

I haz a problem in that I have been updating a post somewhere to keep track of all my amassed XP and what it's for, without actually using it to upgrade my stats (both because I'm indecisive, and because I don't have the game manual handy to keep me on track towards progressing to a new profession). I thought it was in my character's OOC intro post linked in my sig, but I don't see any of my edits, and have no idea where else I might have put this data.

It's possible that I did update my stats at some point with the XP, though not likely: it would be unlike me to do that and forget all about it, and even less plausible that I would erase the records of where the XP came from. The later in particular would be seriously out of character since I'm subclinically OCD about record-keeping in general, and also you recommended that we keep track of what the XP was for early last year.

I noticed that link to my character record post in my sig is now invalid, and the post in question is showing no edits at all. I've also been updating the inventory list there to reflect spending money/receiving money/acquiring things. The forum upgrade clearly changed something since the link isn't working, and I wonder if it managed to eat my 18 months' worth of edits. :smalleek:

I have Elodie's original stats on my laptop, and can either repost those here or in a private convo with you. I can also go through this thread looking for the various points at which you've given XP, and try to reconstruct the changes in inventory and amount of coin.

Have you/has anyone noticed any other weird disappearing edits or broken links since the upgrade?

</tl;dr yet necessary>

Another_Poet
2014-06-09, 01:57 PM
I figured out what happened to your character sheet.

The forum upgrade hasn't erased edits to posts. It did break the Table code we used to format our pretty little character sheets however. Eventually I'll take the time to draft up a new pretty character sheet using the new code, but that's in the distant "someday" category.

Anyway, I looked at your broken link. It points to the old Recruiting thread. Recruiting threads are automatically deleted after 6 months. That's why we created a permanent OOC thread once we had our crew together, and that's why I had you all copy your character sheets to the first page of the OOC thread.

You did copy over your sheet, but it sounds like you were making all your updates in the doomed Recruiting thread version. I checked Google, and it didn't cache a copy of the thread; neither did Way Back Machine. You can try your luck with other search engines if you want.

Otherwise, you'll need to figure out how much XP you've gained (this (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=site%3Agiantitp.com+%22virgins+to+the+night%22 +XP&safe=off) may help) and any other changes. I know you got a weapon from Gruber, but I don't know how much money you've spent vs. gained. We can fudge that to make your life easier.

Here's a working link to your character sheet in the OOC thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?266075-Virgins-to-the-Night-WFRP-OOC&p=14464243&viewfull=1#post14464243

I'm sorry this happened and I know it's a pain. But let me know how else I can help in getting it squared away.

Also: I'm unclear from Elodie's post, is she heading for Ritten House or where?

Tranquil
2014-06-09, 08:15 PM
To Ritten House--the rest is just internal chatter/character development.

Thanks for solving the character sheet mystery. Bummer about the data.

Another_Poet
2014-06-11, 12:46 AM
Update is live! I was waiting for Kurt, but it looks like we should just keep going with him on auto-pilot.

Tranquil, any progress on the XP front? I was thinking about the gold and it should be pretty easy. I believe you held Elodie + Kurt's share of the payment from Reverend, right? And your lodging was covered. So aside from a few drinks, I don't think you spent anything.

Let me know if I'm forgetting something. Otherwise, I think it's pretty simple.

TheAnnoyingNoob
2014-06-11, 07:11 AM
Right! Updated my stats with the reason there so high, I'll use my free advance when I'm with my book and I should get the rest of the details out today!

Tranquil
2014-06-11, 11:56 AM
Update is live! I was waiting for Kurt, but it looks like we should just keep going with him on auto-pilot.

Tranquil, any progress on the XP front? I was thinking about the gold and it should be pretty easy. I believe you held Elodie + Kurt's share of the payment from Reverend, right? And your lodging was covered. So aside from a few drinks, I don't think you spent anything.

We had Kurt carry the gold; I think we each took a little up front, but the idea was to keep a sum for joint expenses like Ritten House.

I'll figure out the XP, but given that I have to given the character any upgrades in nearly 18 month, I think she can wait a little longer.

"Kurt" is conducting the last week or week and a half of classes, and has a vast number of papers to grade/miles to commute/individual oral exams to conduct. I know he checks in every day to read, but suspect he may not be well and truly back for a few more days.

Another_Poet
2014-06-13, 02:19 PM
Right! Updated my stats with the reason there so high, I'll use my free advance when I'm with my book and I should get the rest of the details out today!

Ah, got it. I didn't realize the talents were already figured in.... that makes sense then.

Let me know about the free advance, and we should be ready to introduce you when this scene in the Constable's office is finished.


We had Kurt carry the gold; I think we each took a little up front, but the idea was to keep a sum for joint expenses like Ritten House.

Okay, so let's say just deduct 4 silver schillings for the drinks you've bought these last few days, and you're good.


I'll figure out the XP, but given that I have to given the character any upgrades in nearly 18 month, I think she can wait a little longer.

I'd prefer if we get it figured out (and the XP spent) right away. It'll only get harder to track it all down the longer the game goes on, and you might need those stat bumps when vampire cavalry attacks the city. Let me know if you need help.

TheAnnoyingNoob
2014-06-13, 05:34 PM
you might need those stat bumps when vampire cavalry attacks the city.
Pfft, vampire cavalry? Lightweights. What happened to elephant riding ninja cavalry Poet?

Another_Poet
2014-06-13, 07:28 PM
Oh I'm sorry, did you think I was referring to two different groups?

Vampires... with ninja levels... on stealth elephants. FOR SPARTA!

Another_Poet
2014-06-14, 09:17 PM
Okay, so I hear that Cognomen won't be back until this coming Wednesday, so I'm still running Kurt for now. Update is up.

Tranquil, any word on the XP front?

Another_Poet
2014-06-15, 12:20 AM
Also HeroCC just asked me to roll this for him:

Common Knowledge the Empire: [roll0] v 22 (untrained)

Result: wait, humans have laws?!?

Another_Poet
2014-06-18, 11:37 PM
Tranquil: when in doubt, roll it out!

[roll0] v. 31


You have not heard of a law like that. Perjury is an offense, and can be punished severely, usually with the pillory... but it usually would only happen if someone deliberately lied under oath, not if they just brought charges against someone who was later acquitted.

You do know, however, that Aquin's language toward an officer of the law could be punished.

(Note that Percy is not in the room by the way.)

Also, did you see this:


I'd prefer if we get it figured out (and the XP spent) right away. It'll only get harder to track it all down the longer the game goes on, and you might need those stat bumps when vampire cavalry attacks the city. Let me know if you need help.

?

Cognomen
2014-06-21, 11:34 PM
HOKAY. Cognomen is finally done commuting sixteen hours a week, grading several hundred papers and exams, calculating final grades, and writing a dissertation chapter in three days.* I shall now catch up on the IC thread.

TheAnnoyingNoob, welcome!!

(*There was a page about D&D!)

Another_Poet
2014-06-24, 12:41 AM
Okay. I've been racking my brain for the last few days on how the heck Constable would respond to that comment. I'm still not sure I nailed it, but thanks to Kurt I think this will do.

Also, Connie is now in the game! GO CONNIE! <waves a small flag>

Meanwhile TAN's character in my other game just got knocked into nightmare world by evil auras.... weird how people keep coming back for more :smallamused:

TheAnnoyingNoob
2014-06-24, 12:59 AM
Your also giving me chances to drive myself insane (though the first one was entirely my idea I suppose). You said no one ever wants to play someone using magic in WFRP and I'm beginning to understand why... *Glances at Connie* Now if only I were to avoid making characters who could possibly come into contact with spells...

Another_Poet
2014-06-24, 01:33 AM
Look, if you want chances to go insane, just make sure to spend a lot of time with Aquin.

Tranquil
2014-06-24, 08:17 PM
I've tried to reconstruct XP, but it's really an uphill battle, since in some cases the XP only mentioned in the main thread behind spoiler tags:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=16240304&postcount=712

Another_Poet
2014-06-24, 10:58 PM
I did a little digging. It looks like 100 for the Tortoise, the 50 bonus you just pointed out, and 200 for apprehending Percy.

That would put Elodie at 350. By comparison, Aquin is at 450, although he has earned a fair amount of bonus XP. So I'd say you're at 350 unless you find more bonus experience I'm forgetting.

And I agree, it was a poor choice to put any of it in the IC thread. Normally I put it in the OOC, and I will do that exclusively from now on.

Tranquil
2014-06-25, 04:08 AM
I did a little digging. It looks like 100 for the Tortoise, the 50 bonus you just pointed out, and 200 for apprehending Percy.

That would put Elodie at 350. By comparison, Aquin is at 450, although he has earned a fair amount of bonus XP. So I'd say you're at 350 unless you find more bonus experience I'm forgetting.

Plus this 50 point bonus:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14899290&postcount=169

Plus this 50 point bonus for using a randomly rolled career:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=14638176&postcount=103

That's 450 so far. I'll finish checking the OOC thread tomorrow.

Another_Poet
2014-06-25, 11:46 AM
Nice! Please spend 400 of it right away. Someone needs to be able to take Aquin in a fight.

TheAnnoyingNoob
2014-06-29, 06:05 PM
Sorry for taking so long!

Another_Poet
2014-07-03, 05:07 PM
Did we lose all our players again?

Another_Poet
2014-07-07, 07:32 AM
Grigor didn't come out with you.

Although your point still stands :smallamused:

Another_Poet
2014-07-21, 03:02 PM
Five days guys? Can we get posts from everyone, please?

Another_Poet
2014-08-12, 06:40 AM
So, TAN, are you back yet?

I'll be in a cabin without internet the next two days, but would love to get this rolling again.

TheAnnoyingNoob
2014-08-23, 09:26 PM
Sorry for that absence, I'll be hopping in again if the rest of you are still around.

Another_Poet
2014-08-25, 01:23 AM
Yay welcome back! :smallsmile:

And I'm also back, so hopefully we can get this thing moving! Onward, to Chaos!

Tranquil
2014-09-01, 04:53 AM
TAN--I emailed Andre about this already, but I wanted you to also know that I just found out tonight that THE GAME IS AFOOT once again. Thanks to a weird email glitch, I'm late, but I am back.

Another_Poet
2014-10-23, 02:47 PM
Okay guys, I think it's time I officially call this game to a halt.

I appreciate the great roleplaying from everyone. We've gotten slowed down a number of times and lost a few players and I don't think we have the momentum to keep it going. Plus, I'm about to head on a 3 month bicycle ride across Mexico... not an ideal time to try to keep a game running.

I really enjoyed crafting the town of Kusel and the mysterious events going n there. I could definitely picture doing a reboot of this game in the future. In the meanwhile, happy dice rolling at all your tables and PbP's :smallsmile:

Oh yes, and... *ahem*


BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

As you were. :smallcool:

Tranquil
2014-10-26, 06:35 AM
I'm not much of a crier, but this made me cry, more than once.

Sic transit gloria mundi.