PDA

View Full Version : Virgins to the Night [WFRP] OOC



Pages : [1] 2 3

Another_Poet
2012-12-31, 02:51 PM
In Character thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14458925#post14458925)
Recruiting thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265816)

Welcome everyone! I'm excited to present my first Warhammer adventure. If all goes well there will be many more.

I've put together some house rules and best practices below. Please read them and ask any questions you may have.

Please paste your character sheet into your first post in this thread. You may also find it helpful to put a link to your character sheet in your signature.

Rules & Best Practices
Posting Expectations
Please check the thread and post daily.

Every other day is workable, but please aim for daily. If it's been two days since your last post, I will auto-pilot or skip your character to keep the game moving. If you have long (unannounced) absences or repeat posting problems, I will write your character out.

That said, I believe your personal life comes first. All of us have obligations more important than gaming. Please, if you'll be away or unable to post for a while, let us know - we'll understand, and we can try to keep your character in the game.

Ping Rate
Play by Post moves slowly. We may have to wait days to get an action or response from all the players.

To keep things moving:

Unsure whether you need to make a roll? Don't ask, roll it anyway.
Not sure what to do? Use conditionals. "If I have a clear shot, I shoot - here's the roll. If I don't, I move to cover and take aim."


GM Style
I believe in role play above all else. Be true to your characters, even if it means conflict or a sub-optimal choice.

While your characters may clash, I hope all of us have an OOC goal of keeping the party together.

I'm a persuadable GM. The rules are not sacred. Have a crazy idea? Pitch it to me.

This game is likely to have R-rated material. You have been warned. :smallamused:

Another_Poet
2012-12-31, 02:52 PM
Our Cast

Aquin the Elf (http://goo.gl/sz4Xb), a gambler and a rover, played by TheHeroCC
Miss Elodie von Stadler (http://goo.gl/8bTn0), friend of the long-suffering poor, played by Tranquil
Kurt — (http://goo.gl/DyXh07), erstwhile squire-at-arms and loyal servant of Miss von S, played by Cognomen (previously Sentinel (http://goo.gl/rB78Z))
Ren Hardenberg (http://goo.gl/FD5rU), son of a farmer but grandson of a buccaneer, played by Tribe
Lynn Foerster (http://goo.gl/sYjqf), child of war and single-minded devotee of Our Lord, played by BloodyAngel [off-stage recuperating from wounds]
Rudo Silverpockets (http://goo.gl/lbLqa), sole survivor of a job at an ill-chosen crypt, played by Drum-n-Bass [off-stage performing special devotions]

Contents


Prelude: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14458925#post14458925) Rocks Do Not Fall from the Sky

Act I: Who Disturbs the Sleeper
Scene 1, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14634326#post14634326) Their Adventure is Concluded
Scene 2, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14720221#post14720221) In Which Absolutely No Lies Are Told
Scene 3, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14899538#post14899538) Being Discreet
Scene 4, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15334259#post15334259) A Professional Investigation
Scene 5, (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16240304#post16240304) A Messy End

Addenda:
A Map of the Empire (http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/6083/TheEmpire.jpg).
A Map of the Town of Kusel (http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4892/kuselmapalteredshrunkma.jpg).
A Map of Inns (http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4892/kuselmapalteredshrunkma.jpg).
The Graveyard (http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7082/kuselcemeterymap.jpg).
Where PCs said they're keeping their weapons in town (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266075&page=6).
Rules for staying up all night (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15400076#post15400076).

Route: You are taking a coach from Talabheim, the seat of Talabecland, to the small city of Küsel:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/848/vncoachroute.png

(Note that this is the last time I'll bother with the umlaut. Many things were lost in the War, extra dots among them.)


Useful Info


Money Conversions: 1 gold crown = 20 silver schillings. 1 schilling = 12 brass pennies.

How to Roll Dice: type, for example, 1d100 or 1d10

Skill List:
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/9797/0h9b.png

Rumors & News

At your option, your characters can know about as many (or few) of these things as you like.


Kusel is a bronzeworking town. This is relatively recent. After tin was discovered in the hills it built up rapidly. It even has a cannonworks.

Aside from bronze, Kusel is known for its vineyards and brickmaking.

Earlier this summer there were outbreaks of sweating sickness farther upriver at Bek, but so far they have not reached Kusel. Plague season is ending, and hopefully the sweating sickness is too.

The holiday of Talassa, dedicated to Taal and Rhya, is a regional festival that happens around the first grain harvest. Kusel in particular is known for its wild Talassa festivities.

There is a well-known pacifist/philanthropist, Duncan Vargas, living in Kusel. He used to be a cannon-maker, but gave it up to make church bells.

Although it's been over a year since the Storm was driven back, the woods around the North Talabec Road remain unsafe. Refugees and deserters have sometimes turned to highway robbery, and orc warriors may still be at large.

Lodging in Kusel

The Bleeden Olde Guard
FUN FACT: Suit of armor out front!
LOCATION: on Talabec Road near Castle Street
ROOM PRICES: 15s normally // 15s festival season
STABLE SERVICE AVAILABLE 1s // 1s
Includes breakfast
(Kurt and Elodie met (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14807630#post14807630) some interesting folks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14848182#post14848182) here.)


Ritten House
FUN FACTS: Still owned by the Ritten family; known for rich suppers
LOCATION: on Front Street Market
ROOMS: 10s // 12s
STABLES 10p // 1s
Includes breakfast

Rhya's Rest
FUN FACT: ???
LOCATION: Just off Front Street
ROOMS: 8s // 10s
STABLE SERVICE AVAILABLE 10p // 10p
Includes breakfast

The Goat-Headed Herdsman
aka “the Herdsman” aka “the Goat”
FUN FACT: ???
LOCATION: off Front Street near the docks
COMMON ROOM: 5p // 8p

The Crooked Antlers
FUN FACT: oldest inn in Kusel; Grigor assumed you were staying there
LOCATION: near the levee (predates it)
COMMON ROOM: 5p // 7p
(Ren and Sarie walked past this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14856909#post14856909).)

------

The Squinting Ox
FUN FACT: Founded as a meeting place for miners bringing ingots to town
LOCATION: Westinchamp (outside town)
COMMON ROOM: 4p // 4p
TEND YOUR OWN BEASTS. STABLE AVAILABLE.
(Ren and Aquin saw this place (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15112995#post15112995), beside the arena.)



Ernst Danpur's List of Disturbed Graves:

1. An old man from the Champ, who once served in regimental infantry. Danpur believes this was the first case. Died 6 years ago. A relatively bold case, as the grave was not in terrible shape.

2. A less certain case, in which the grave of a couple from town appeared disturbed, but erosion may have been to blame. The husband was a boater. Died 15-20 years ago.

3. The grave of a name not well remembered any longer. Grigor had to check the parish registers to discover that he was a widower who died heirless, leaving a modest spot of land to the township. Died over 50 years ago. The grave was lonely and forgotten in a weed-choked corner.

4. Two bronzeworkers from a minor guild family. Their family has risen somewhat in income in recent history, but these two died before the Imperial cannon contract enriched Kusel. Died 40-50 years ago. The family plot has been reconfigured several times, leading to crowded and relocated graves.

5. A family burial from a family that no longer has descendants in these parts. Died about 30 years ago. The graves had formal monuments but had fallen into neglect. This one was robbed in the past few weeks.

6. An ancient grave with a knightly crest on his monument. Little else is known but Grigor checked the registers and he was supposedly a man-at-arms who served the Baron. Died over 150 years ago. This grave is near the mausolea and the thieves actually accessed it by digging into the hillside beside it, which was easier to cover up. It was robbed just over a week ago.



Teaser (from Recruiting Thread):


Virgins to the Night


Share in suffering gladly, as a good soldier of Sigmar.
Sigmar's servant must not be persuaded by the flesh nor by hunger,
but be chaste, resolute, and patiently endure every evil.
Flee therefore from youthful passions, lust, covetousness and envy.
A pure heart does not arise from impure ways.


--The Analects of Theogony



At the Festival of Taal, she loosed her hair,
She loosed her hair and there weren't much there,
She lay down drunk and she smiled at him,
And a fox and a monk and a bottle of a gin.


--Traditional

theherocc
2013-01-01, 06:51 PM
Aquin Mellinore

{table]Primary Characteristics| Value
Weapon Skill|38 (43)
Ballistic Skill|41
Strength|37
Toughness|37
Agility|44 (49)
Intelligence|38 (43)
Will Power|38
Fellowship|36 (46)
[/table]


{table]Secondary Characteristics| Value
Attacks|1
Wounds|11/11
Strength Bonus|3
Toughness Bonus|3
Movement|5
Magic|0
Insanity Points| 0
Fortune/Fate Points|0/1[/table]


{table]Skills|%
Blather (Fel)|36
Charm (Fel)|36
Common Knowledge (Elves) (Int)|43
Evaluate (Int)|43
Gamble(Int)|43
Haggle (Fel)|36
Perception (Int)|43
Performer (Actor) (Fel)|36
Search (Int)|43
Speak Language (Eltharin)|43
Speak Language (Reikspiel)|43
[/table]


{table]Talents
Excellent Vision (+10% Perception)
Night Vision
Specialist Weapon (Longbow)
Savvy (+5 Int)
Public Speaking (10x Charm crowd size)
Luck (+1 Fortune Point)
Streetwise (+10% Charm & Gossip)
[/table]


Equipment: Deck of cards, sword
Gold: 17 gc
Experience 450 (spent 400)

Starting career: Rogue
Current career: Rogue
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 95lbs

Hair Colour: Dark brown
Eye Colour: Green

Number of Siblings: 1 (older brother)
Star Sign: The Drummer - hedonism
Age: 60
Birthplace: The Great Forest

Background: While Aquin's brother spent his youth shadowing their father the hunter, Aquin sat with his uncle learning card games. And card tricks. In a society of hunters and gatherers, he was a watcher. This is not to say he didn't learn some of the skills of his people. He can shoot a bow and wield a sword, but tracking, surviving, hunting - these things were for other people.

His family and extended community was never shy about sharing their feelings about his lack of contribution. Aquin would simply share a joke, make a speech, or walk away. He kept well fed through winning bets with the same few rubes who knew that one day, surely, they'd pick the winning card.

When the Storm of Chaos erupted over the Empire, Aquin was introduced to a world he'd never given a thought about. It was a world of short, clumsy, smelly people. Yet, they were charming in their way. They told stories of a world in which an elf with a deck of cards could live a life of adventure. And so he did.

To his great joy, most of the denizens of the Empire have no idea how statistics work, allowing him to sleep and eat for free. He has even decided to earn some money, a completely foreign idea. Heading to Kusel with a package along side a halfling, of all things, Aquin has never been happier.

Tribe
2013-01-01, 07:31 PM
Ren Hardenberg, aka The Wren

{table]Primary Characteristic....| Value
Weapon Skill|31
Ballistic Skill|31
Strength|40
Toughness|33
Agility|33
Intelligence|35
Will Power|31
Fellowship|31
[/table]

{table=]Secondary Characteristic| Value
Attacks|1
Wounds|11/11
Strength Bonus|4
Toughness Bonus|3
Movement|4
Magic|0
Insanity Points| 0
Fate Points|2/2

[/table]

Starting Career: Tradesman (Armourer/Cartographer)
Experience Points: 0
Advances: Strength +5, Agility +5, Will Power +5

Talents: Night Vision, Savvy (+5 Int), Super Numerate

{table=]Skills| Value
Common Knowledge (The Empire)|35
Drive|40
Evaluate|35
Gossip (Mastery)|41
Haggle|31
Perception|35
Read/Write|35
Secret Language (Guild)|35
Speak Language (Reikspiel)|35
Trade (Armourer)|40
Trade (Cartographer)|35
[/table]

Trappings: Light Armour (Leather Jerkin), Spear, Dagger, Backpack, Blanket, Cloak, Opa's Map, ring with rose motif (paid 2 crowns), talon&feather charm (paid 6 crowns), necklace
Gold: 10
Schillings: 9
Pennies: 4

Age: 18
Height: 6'
Weight: 140lbs
Hair Colour: Light brown
Eye Colour: Light brown
Siblings: Helmuth (34), Hans (31), Jochen (30), Walter (26), Sigmund (25)
Star Sign: Grungni's Baldric
Brithplace: 20 miles south of Talabheim

Background: When his opa placed the torn treasure map in his hands, six-year old Ren realised all the stories were true: his grandfather really had been a pirate! All the sheep, the nagging goats and half-hearted crops which made up their family farm were just a cover to keep his grandfather safe from 'those who sought the map'.

His brothers thought opa was crazy, but Ren knew the old man only stayed locked up in the loft for his own protection. There were crazy-jealous ex-shipmates out in the world looking for the map, and one day they would catch up with him. It was foretold by the Nordland woman with the small golden beard.

From that first evening, hidden away in the loft, his grandfather filled his mind with twisted tales of the sea, of monsters and exotic princesses; all the while teaching him the cartographer's trade. Being the youngest of six sons, Ren was able to go missing for hours at a time, spending it with his increasingly senile grandfather.

But when he turned thirteen, Ren was sent to work in Talabheim, and the treasured time with his opa was ripped away from him. Five years later, his grandfather died, but not before he'd hidden away the map in a secret place only he and Ren knew. Upon reclaiming the map and amidst the sadness of the funeral feasting, Ren made a solemn pact with the spirit of his opa: he would leave home, find a ship and take up his destiny as the last of the Hardenberg pirates.

... and find the treasure.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-01, 07:49 PM
Name: Kurt (formerly Kurt von Stadler)
Race: Human
Age: 19


Description: Kurt is a young man of slightly above average height and wiry build, with hawk-like features, thin lips and grey eyes. His hair is dark and short-cropped. Though his accent clearly identifies him as a man of the upper-class, his black and white clothes are quite simple and utilitarian, with no flashy jewelry and ornaments. He makes a point to always look neat; his face is clean-shaven at all times, his breeches are well-pressed and his armor, though dull in appearance, is spotless.

Kurt carries himself straight and has a cool, alert look – some might say there is a spear jammed up his arse. He addresses people with a stiff formality that most, even among the nobility and the military, find more disconcerting than proper; as if he were only repeating a script or going through the motions taught to him. Beneath his façade of confident professionalism, he is in fact quite innocent and naïve about the world at large, and loses his bearings easily in unfamiliar situations, especially any involving women.


Background: Kurt’s father, Lord Sigismund von Stadler, was a knight who, in his younger years, often rode on lengthy campaigns against the Beastmen of the woods, leaving his wife alone with their children for weeks or even months on end. Kurt came into the world some six or seven months after the return of his father from one such campaign, which cast considerable doubt on his legitimacy; the fact that he did not physically take after his purported sire only fueled the rumors. Lord Sigismund, either refusing to believe his wife unfaithful, uncaring about it, or too proud to confirm having been cheated on, raised the young Kurt as he would a legitimate son – eating at the same table as his siblings, learning swordplay from the same master-at-arms, and being tutored by the same teacher. Though rather innocent, Kurt was not deaf to the ugly rumors circulating about him and strived to be as dutiful and loyal as a son could be, hoping people would judge him by what he did rather than who he was whispered to be. Being the second son, his legitimacy was a rather moot point anyway, as it was not as if he stood to inherit…

That is, until a year ago, when his elder brother rode to relieve the Siege of Middenheim and came back in a bier. His younger siblings, previously accepting of Kurt and pretending not to care about the circumstances of his birth, had a change of attitude when they realized that their inheritance now depended on Kurt’s parentage. There existed no way to prove anything, of course, but they were simply less willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. On his nineteenth birthday, Kurt was gifted a fine horse and a suit of armor by Lord Sigismund, on the condition that he join the Morr-worshipping Templars known as the Knights of the Raven; and, by so doing, discard his family name and renounce his inheritance. Like a good son, Kurt accepted the gift and agreed to the terms, reasoning that the aging lord was merely trying to keep the von Stadler family from tearing itself apart over succession. Yet he could not shake a nagging feeling that his purported father, too, may have doubted that his blood flowed in Kurt’s veins.

One of Kurt’s first assignments as a squire is twofold. First, his duty to his order requires him to see a package to its destination – the hands of a Morrite priest. Second, his duty to his family is to protect his cousin Elodie on the same trip. What the young troublemaker is up to this time, Kurt can only guess.


{table]Primary Characteristics| Value
Weapon Skill|36
Ballistic Skill|24
Strength|32
Toughness|37
Agility|30
Intelligence|31
Will Power|31
Fellowship|28[/table]


{table]Secondary Characteristics| Value
Attacks|2
Wounds|13/13
Strength Bonus|3
Toughness Bonus|3
Movement|4
Magic|0
Insanity Points| 0
Fortune/Fate Points|3/3[/table]


{table]Skills|%
Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry)|31
Animal Care|31
Animal Training|28
Charm|28
Common Knowledge (the Empire)|31
Dodge Blow|30
Gossip|28
Ride|30
Speak Language (Breton)|31
Speak Language (Reikspiel)|31[/table]


{table]Talents
Ambidextrous
Etiquette
Excellent Vision
Specialist Weapon Group (Cavalry)
Strike Mighty Blow[/table]


Equipment: Demilance, hand weapon (broadsword), dagger, mail shirt, mail coif, leather jack, shield, horse with saddle and harness, common clothing, backpack, religious symbol (raven pendant)
Gold: 15 gc (+5 gc)


Advances: +1 Attack, +5 Strength
XP: 50 / 150


Smoke the Horse
A young black stallion, just recently trained for riding and not yet accustomed to the chaos of war.

{table]Primary Characteristics| Value
Weapon Skill|25
Ballistic Skill|0
Strength|38
Toughness|43
Agility|30
Intelligence|10
Will Power|10
Fellowship|0[/table]


{table]Secondary Characteristics| Value
Attacks|0
Wounds|5/12
Strength Bonus|3
Toughness Bonus|4
Movement|8
Magic|0
Insanity Points| 0
Fortune/Fate Points|0/0[/table]


{table]Skills|%
Perception +10%|40
Swim|38[/table]


{table]Talents
Acute Hearing
Keen Senses[/table]

drum-n-bass
2013-01-02, 02:59 AM
Rudo Silverpockets the Halfling Tomb Robber

{table]Primary Characteristic....| Value
Weapon Skill|20
Ballistic Skill|44
Strength|19
Toughness|21*
Agility|38
Intelligence|27
Will Power|35
Fellowship|46
[/table]

{table=]Secondary Characteristic| Value
Attacks|1
Wounds|08/08
Strength Bonus|1
Toughness Bonus|2
Movement|4
Magic|0
Insanity Points| 0
Fate Points|2/2

[/table]


Skills:
Academic Knowledge (Genealogy/Heraldry)
Common Knowledge (Halflings, the Empire)
Concealment
Gossip
Evaluate
Perception
Read/Write
Silent Move
Scale Sheer Surface
Search
Speak Languages (Halfling, Khazalid, Reikspiel)
Trade (Cook)

Talents:
Luck
Night Vision
Resistance to Chaos: +10 to WP tests to resist magic.
Specialist Weapon Group (Sling)
Strong-minded
Tunnel Rat

Trappings:
Hand Weapon (Short Sword)
Sling
Light Armour (Leather Jack)
Common clothing
Crowbar
Lantern and Lamp Oil
Dagger
Backpack
Blanket
Wooden tankard & cutlery set
2 sacks
10 yards of rope
Water skin
Purse with 7 gc


Age: 22
Height: 3'6"
Weight: 100 lbs
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Blue
Marks: Broken nose
Siblings: 4 (all dead)
Star Sign: The Piper
Birthplace: The Moot

Background:
Born fifth to crazy treasure seeking halflings in the Moot, Rudo Silverpockets always grew up on one adventure or another. His grandmama always said to his parents "That greed of yours will surely be the death of you." Everyone laughed off crazy old grandmama until the one day the Silverpockets family stumbled upon the map to a ruined old castle in Sylvania that was supposed to have some great riches beyond imagine. It was a no brainer. The place was supposed to not be trapped. It was cursed with magic that made it only findable by a single map on a certain day of every full moon. The Silverpockets family was going to be rich. They found it and went in with many empty bags. Rudo, who always seemed to be somewhat lucky and miss the worst situations that happen to everyone else, was off taking a piss when his 2 older brothers and older sisters and mum and pa were ambushed by the restless dead who were guarding the treasure. Rudo ran as fast as he could to the Moot. Once their he knew his destiny. Vengeance and riches lay back at the castle waiting for his return. But first he needs to find the map.....

-Sentinel-
2013-01-02, 02:49 PM
Sentinel, I've been thinking about our character's relationship. Would you mind terribly if I asked you to be a cousin instead of my brother or half-brother? Elodie's backstory involved a very complicated relationship with her older siblings at one point, and, though we've toned that down, I still think she might actively try to escape from such a close relative if he were with her at this point.
Sure thing. I'll make some changes.

Tranquil
2013-01-02, 05:52 PM
Elodie Von Stadler
Agitator
Human

{table]Primary Characteristic....| Value
Weapon Skill|31
Ballistic Skill|31
Strength|34
Toughness|33
Agility|28
Intelligence|31
Will Power|33
Fellowship|47
[/table]

{table=]Secondary Characteristic| Value
Attacks|1
Wounds|10/10
Strength Bonus|3
Toughness Bonus|3
Movement|4 (Flee!: +1 bonus to Movement for 1d10 rounds.)
Magic|0
Insanity Points| 0
Fate Points|2/2
[/table]

{table]Skills|%
Common Knowledge (the Empire) | 31
Gossip (Skill Mastery) | 57
Speak Language (Reikspiel) (Skill Mastery) | 41
Academic Knowledge (Law) | 31
Concealment | 28
Charm | 47
Perception | 31
Read/Write | 31
Perform (Musician) | 47
[/table]

{table]Talents
Suave
Very Resilient
Coolheaded
Flee!
Public Speaking (can affect 10 times the normal number of people w/Charm)
[/table]

Trappings: clothing of fair quality in mediocre condition, a slightly tattered clock, a sharp knife tucked into my dirndl, a worn shoulder bag containing a blanket, a wooden tankard, a wooden cutlery set, a signet ring with my family's coat of arms and my initials, a fine linen handkerchief with the same symbol and my initials embroidered on it (not very well), sewing kit, embroidery hoop, Light Armour (Leather Jack), one set of Good Craftsmenship Clothes, 8 leaflets for various causes.
Gold: 10gc

Star sign: The Gloaming, Sign of Illusion and Mystery

Background:

"I am Lady Elodie von Stadler. Of the Wolfsbach von Stadlers," she volunteers in a cheerful voice, expecting you to respond with recognition, enthusiasm, and special treatment. If you are not an older noble, or from her region of Stirland, you have never heard of her family or even of where she's from. Elodie does not know quite what to make of this.

She wears her long hair in two braids pinned over her head. She wears a dirndl of good quality, a signet ring bearing her initials and her family's coat of arms, and sometimes she ties a kerchief over her head. Unless your character happens to hail from Stirland, you may find her attire rather odd, which she will not understand at all.

Her father is a knight, and the family has a manor house near Wolfsbach, a small town in Stirland. In addition to the squires he takes on, he has a bailiff and a household staff. The family makes some income from taxes from the local peasantry.

Elodie has recently left home, without the consent of her family, to pursue a career as an Agitator for the welfare of the poor. Her stories of the poor she's worked with are likely to be entirely fabricated, much like her concern itself. She is, in fact, interested only in placating and pacifying the underclasses, in order to maintain the grip of the aristocracy in which she intends to rise. Her concerns are power and influence, and everything else is important only as a means to those ends.

She will take trouble to get to know you if she believes you to be important or useful to her. If you have a cause, she may profess to believe in it as well.

Elodie believes herself to be ruthless and capable of anything in her pursuit of power. What she is actually capable of remains to be seen.

Another_Poet
2013-01-02, 06:47 PM
Feel free to continue the roleplay and introductions, guys. Remember that there's also a human woman with a shaved head on or in the coach with you; hopefully BloodyAngel can jump in soon, but if she doesn't I'll move the story along tomorrow as needed.

Edit: Yay!

BloodyAngel
2013-01-02, 07:29 PM
Lynn Foerster, servant of Sigmar


{table]Primary Characteristic....| Value
Weapon Skill|30
Ballistic Skill|29
Strength|32
Toughness|31+5=36
Agility|34
Intelligence|25
Will Power|31
Fellowship|40
[/table]

{table=]Secondary Characteristic| Value
Attacks|1
Wounds|12/2
Strength Bonus|3
Toughness Bonus|3
Movement|4
Magic|0
Insanity Points| 0
Fate Points|2/2

[/table]

Skills: Academic Knowledge (Theology), Charm,
Common Knowledge (Empire) +10, Gossip, Intimidate, Read/Write

Traits (All added in): Super Numerate, Suave, Very Strong, Hardy, Public Speaking, Spec. Weapon (Flail)

Trappings: Flail, Warhammer (Hand Weapon), Leather Jack, Spirits (Good Quality), Holy symbol of Sigmar, Dagger, 1 Crown, 10 shillings.

Fluff and Backgroundy bits
Age: 17
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 124lbs
Hair: Shaved (Brown)
Eyes: Brown

Background: Still to come, when I have time.

Another_Poet
2013-01-03, 02:43 PM
The new post is up. Feel free to continue the conversation you were having -- several hours pass around the asterisk, so you'd have plenty of time to talk.

Another_Poet
2013-01-03, 06:42 PM
I can't remember how to roll a die. Aquin has excellent vision...

Handy reference. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14443196#post14443196)

Remember that you can't edit die rolls into a post, so feel free to roll here in the OOC thread.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-05, 06:00 PM
OOC: I have no idea if you CAN charm/intimidate a turtle, but.... what the hell, why not?
I believe Charm Animal is a basic skill, meaning you passed the test.

Poet, can we have a link to the OOC thread in the first post of the IC thread?

Tribe
2013-01-05, 06:38 PM
The links are in Another_Poet's signature for easy reference.

Another_Poet
2013-01-05, 11:18 PM
Yep, Charm Animal versus half Fel (untrained); she still makes it.


Poet, can we have a link to the OOC thread in the first post of the IC thread?

Good idea. Fixed.


Elodie raised an eyebrow at the elf who shared her coach.

Aquin was on the roof, not inside with you (my mistake earlier). He is now en route to the turtle and you're alone in the coach.


the coach, which was fully evacuated except for the strange little man and the lady.

The little man was already outside. (See the map.) If that changes your action, feel free to edit your post.

Tribe
2013-01-05, 11:21 PM
Bugger, I forgot about Rudo being outside. No big deal.

Another_Poet
2013-01-05, 11:32 PM
Lynn's new BFF:


http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7740/bixii.jpg
Image by this great artist. (http://imageshack.us/a/img38/7740/bixii.jpg)

theherocc
2013-01-06, 06:48 PM
Knowledge roll for info on the tortoise. 1d100

theherocc
2013-01-06, 06:50 PM
Try again? [roll0]

Another_Poet
2013-01-06, 06:52 PM
I honestly don't know why that first roll was broken - the code looks correctly formatted to me. Anyone have an idea?

edit: oh, looks like you edited it in. That does not work for rolls.

In any case: Aquin should've spent less time gambling. :smallcool:

Another_Poet
2013-01-08, 01:57 AM
Just checking in with everyone. I wanted to start the game off with a challenge of some kind so you can all start putting your skills to work.

Most of your characters are taking a very passive approach here - which is fine if it's in character for them. Just bear in mind, you can't get paid if the coach can't through, and if you end up stuck on the road overnight it could be very dangerous.

Lynn and Aquin have taken the initiative; how are the rest of you doing?

Tribe
2013-01-08, 05:20 AM
Ren was just worried it might be a trap. That's what his grandfather would have done back in the day...

drum-n-bass
2013-01-08, 05:26 AM
Sorry but Rudo doesn't do to good around turtles. He had a scarring childhood moment when one he thought was his friend bit him pretty hard on his hand. So thenceforth Rudo doesn't like turtles. I'll go post in IC.

Another_Poet
2013-01-08, 11:31 AM
Sounds good guys (also, Drum'n'Bass, that is weird), I just wanted to make sure - a GM wants the first encounter of the game to be interesting, you know, so I was a tad worried.

Speaking of, initiative!

Aquin [roll0]
Ren [roll1]
Kurt [roll2]
Rudo [roll3]
Elodie [roll4]
Lynn [roll5]

Tortoise [roll6]

Normally I'll roll initiative for everyone at the start of an encounter. Please do not wait for your initiative turn to act; that just slows things down. Post as soon as you can, and if your action depends on someone else, feel free to use a conditional.

IC post is on the way, one moment....

Another_Poet
2013-01-08, 11:45 AM
Post is up. The turtle hasn't attacked at all, but all of you can see it's turning toward Aquin.

Hitting the turtle: Normally we won't be using specific body parts except for the crit tables; a hit is a hit. With the turtle, however, it matters. Your attacks get +10 to WS or BS because it's so big, but you'll be hitting shell, which obviously acts like armor.

If you want to aim for a soft part (head, tail, leg -- please state which) you instead get -10% to your attack, but on a success the shell does not figure in.

Not that I'm encouraging violence against this innocent, harmless creature of God.


http://th01.deviantart.net/fs21/200H/i/2007/248/d/7/Cute_turtle_by_Zeeshio.jpg

If your character isn't doing anything, please say so; I don't want skip anyone before updating.

theherocc
2013-01-08, 07:25 PM
That picture does look exactly like the first picture you posted... I've got a clear image now.

Tribe
2013-01-08, 08:22 PM
Moving house tomorrow and didn't realise my whole internet life would change - going from ADSL to mobile (apparently). I should still be able to post over the next few days before everything settles, but my posts will be done on my phone and they might be a bit dodgy - you know what it's like, right?

Another_Poet
2013-01-09, 02:59 PM
No worries Tribe - thanks for letting us know. Based on your actions so far, should I assume Ren stays out of the (potential) fight and watches the rear?

Also, I edited the post above: trying to hit a soft part is only a -10% penalty, not -20%. Sorry for the confusion.

Waiting on actions from Lynn, Rudo, and Kurt. If your character is staying put, please say so. Then I can get back to Aquin's imminent death.

Tribe
2013-01-09, 03:59 PM
I'll keep in the game through my trusty little phone. I've actually got an idea to move the tortoise without Aquin getting digested.

Another_Poet
2013-01-09, 05:26 PM
Heh heh heh.

Finally, the tortoise gets to act (tortoises are slow, who knew?).

Rolls:

Charge vs. Aquin: [roll0]
Possible damage: [roll1]

Sarie: [roll2]



IC post on the way. Up.

(Drum'n'Bass, I assume Rudo hangs back due to fear of turtles - if you wanted to act, let me know and I can put it in retroactively.)

Another_Poet
2013-01-09, 05:43 PM
Post is up! New round. Post your actions (or non-actions) and I will make happen the elficide.

theherocc
2013-01-09, 06:20 PM
I guess I don't understand how disengage works... Aquin didn't move out of range with his turn?

Another_Poet
2013-01-09, 10:38 PM
Sorry, I thought I had explained it. Disengage only lets you move your Movement score, but no free attack against you. Had you moved farther you could not Disengage, and it would've take its shot before you got away.

Tranquil
2013-01-10, 12:47 AM
Rolling to remember all those lyrics.

[roll0]

Another_Poet
2013-01-10, 10:24 AM
Heh. If that was a Perform roll, looks like you made it Tranquil :smallsmile:

Also, I forgot about this:


are you using the half turn aimed shot rule of +10?

I've only ever seen this done with ranged attacks, but looking at the rules they do allow for melee too. So yep, that's fine.

drum-n-bass
2013-01-10, 07:47 PM
No. He's not going to do anything during the combat just stand by the coach and guard it.

Another_Poet
2013-01-10, 10:14 PM
Sounds good. If anyone else is going to stay in passive mode just let me know - otherwise we're looking for actions from Ren, Kurt & Lynn.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-10, 11:24 PM
otherwise we're looking for actions from Ren, Kurt & Lynn.
I said it IC - Kurt is not fighting the turtle unless it poses a direct threat to Elodie and/or the cargo.

Another_Poet
2013-01-10, 11:49 PM
Sorry, I wasn't sure if that had changed with the turtle charging toward you and attacking Aquin. Makes sense though. I'll count you out until/unless conditions change or you state otherwise.

Looks like just Ren and Lynn then.

Tranquil
2013-01-11, 12:21 PM
Is my browser not showing me the posts from yesterday in the RP thread, or did no one post? The browser has seemed to struggle with this before, but not to this extent. Sorry I didn't participate--I tried!

Another_Poet
2013-01-11, 03:32 PM
You're fine Tranquil. There were no posts in the IC thread yesterday.

It's been two days since BA posted, but I'm a little uncomfortable auto-piloting Lynn just as she's about to make first contact with the enemy. Still, it seemed pretty clear she was charging in to help Aquin, so I will assume that and move on if she hasn't posted by later today.

Another_Poet
2013-01-11, 09:08 PM
...this will be an All-Out attack, if possible.


Not possible, because you had to move first to get there... I'll give you the Charging bonus, although turns out you didn't need it. Nice hit!

Rolls...

Bite time versus Lynn [roll0]
damage [roll1]


Using Basic Armor, your leather jack gives 1 armor point, so after soak that's 8 wounds.

Back to you guys - unless someone else throws their hat in the ring, I'll update again as soon as Aquin and Lynn have acted.

Another_Poet
2013-01-13, 09:35 PM
It's been two days, but I'm not too keen to have to make the call whether Lynn keeps attacking or disengages and runs now that she's been hit. I'll hold off a bit before auto-piloting.

Chris, if you happen to see this be aware that the fight is basically just you and Aquin, so your posting rate pretty much determines the pace for the whole group.

If you can't check in more often, feel free to give me several rounds' directions as a conditional or something, and we'll keep things moving.

theherocc
2013-01-13, 10:52 PM
Hey guys, just curious on the non-fighting stance. I get that some characters are not fighters, generally, but why would your character be taking a job to guard a coach if they're not a fighter?

I'm not saying this because I'm worried about Aquin getting hurt, just curious as to the general feel of the encounter.

BloodyAngel
2013-01-14, 12:35 PM
I'm here, sorry. Thought I had more time. Posting now! :smallsmile:

theherocc
2013-01-14, 04:40 PM
Is this tortoise attacking twice? The "two deadly snaps" comment made me think so.

Another_Poet
2013-01-14, 04:45 PM
Thanks Chris! Back to you guys.


Is this tortoise attacking twice? The "two deadly snaps" comment made me think so.

Heh. I used some license there.

Mechanically, so far you guys have only seen the tortoise take a single attack action per round.

The rules note, however, that "a melee attack roll does not represent a single swing of the sword, but a series of exchanges in which the attacker tries to find an opening..." and I find it more fun to write it up that way, sometimes.

Sorry if it was confusing :smallredface:

BloodyAngel
2013-01-15, 01:07 PM
At least my parry rolls are doing well! :smallwink:

Oh, and I'm not certain if it's me you were speaking of, but Lynn doesn't use a staff. Given the appearance of a two-handed flail (http://www.freewebs.com/dark_gift/thf.htm), I can see someone making that mistake though.

Another_Poet
2013-01-15, 03:54 PM
I think it's awesome that Zealots start with a flail. At first I pictured it being more like a flagellant's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagellant) whip (and I remain curious whether Lynn's back is covered in scars), but yeah, the rules give you a full-on morning star. Pretty rad.

Anyway, Sarie:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Sentinel: Your horse is under control at present. Note that it's not a warhorse, however. If you choose to ride it into combat, please start your turn with a Ride test.


On a success, the horse does as you wish (charge, move, whatever).
On a failure, it will move and attack but no charging bonus -- it's reluctant.
On a severe failure - miss by 20 or more - it balks and refuses to move.

I just made these rules up; if they seem unreasonable feel free to speak up.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-15, 05:21 PM
I just made these rules up; if they seem unreasonable feel free to speak up.
They're perfectly fine. Horses aren't combative by nature.

I'll roll it immediately. Target 30: [roll0]
Fortune Point: [roll1] :smallwink:

BloodyAngel
2013-01-15, 09:20 PM
Sigmar be praised! I think that's a hit with the bonus for multiple attackers (thank you, Aquin), with Sigmar's Fury to boot. Yes, that's right.... SIGMAR'S fury.

Extra Damage from Fury: [roll0]
More, if needed: [roll1]
MORE, if needed: [roll2]

On the off-chance that Lynn pulls and Illiiya and keeps going, you can roll the rest, poet.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-15, 09:34 PM
@ BA: You still have to roll WS again (same modifiers as the to-hit roll) for the Fury to confirm.

Another_Poet
2013-01-15, 11:01 PM
Of the characters who are involved in the fight, I think we're just waiting on Kurt to act (with total control of his horse!) and then I can update.

My mistake, Ren is also up to bat :smallsmile:

Kind of cool to see the pace pick up like this. Thanks guys.

Tribe
2013-01-16, 05:21 AM
Ren's action is up, sorry for the delay. I've got a new house by the beach with terrible internet coverage so I've got mobile broadband. Getting used to it (coming and going).

Did I mention I'm near a nice beach? :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2013-01-16, 12:14 PM
Did I mention I'm near a nice beach? :smallsmile:

That sounds awesome. I forget, what part of Australia are you in?

Okay, rolls part 1....


Aquin hits for 9, after soak it takes 5 wounds.

Confirmation roll for BA*: [roll0]

*She indicated I should make any additional Sigmar's Fury rolls for her

Another_Poet
2013-01-16, 12:25 PM
So indeed, Lynn has the Fury of Sigmar.

Rolls Part 2...


After Aquin, Kurt misses.

Then Ren moves.

Then Lynn strikes her fury for 22, after soak it's 18 Wounds(!). That's a +10 crit. To the head.

crit value: [roll0]

I.... you guys are barbarians.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNVkl9K0_KcaCc6QPHJ7XTx6QC65WPT ylvfs6ejBB5z1zbTqthehZtQOLqUg

BloodyAngel
2013-01-16, 12:27 PM
NUTMONKEYS! I knew I was forgetting something. I can't spend a second Fortune-point either, since I spent one this round to parry.

Ok, WS re-roll: [roll0]

*fingers crossed*

Edit: HA! Suck it, turtle! Sigmar gives strength to those who serve him!!!!

Another_Poet
2013-01-16, 12:57 PM
I can't spend a second Fortune-point either, since I spent one this round to parry.

Actually your parry never came into play (no attack roll from the turtle this round), hence you never failed or re-rolled it. You have 1 left.

Rolls PART 3:


Aquin - Ag to avoid [roll0] vs 44
[roll1] damage

Lynn - Ag to avoid [roll2] vs 34
[roll3] damage

Kurt - Ride to avoid [roll4] vs 30
[roll5] damage to horse


If anybody wants to FP those, let me know.

edit: post is up. We're no longer in combat time.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-16, 01:48 PM
Woohoo! I'm starting to think the dice gods favor the crazy ones.



http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/sad_5d2ebf_735519.gif
Can't see that pic, sorry, even when I copy and paste the image link in my address bar.

Tribe
2013-01-16, 03:06 PM
That sounds awesome. I forget, what part of Australia are you in?

A place called Narrawong, in the south-west corner of Victoria. Kind of out of the way but nice.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-16, 05:48 PM
A place called Narrawong, in the south-west corner of Victoria. Kind of out of the way but nice.
Any sharks or box jellyfish over there? 'Cause these things tend to make a beach slightly less tempting. :P

Tribe
2013-01-16, 09:23 PM
Lots of sharks but they don't come into the bay area. There are plenty of seals to eat.

Tribe
2013-01-16, 09:24 PM
And lots of whales in the spring time.

:smallwink: (That's not really a whale smiley face is it?)

Another_Poet
2013-01-17, 10:47 AM
Setinel: I think the image (http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNVkl9K0_KcaCc6QPHJ7XTx6QC65WPT ylvfs6ejBB5z1zbTqthehZtQOLqUg) is fixed now. Darn google.

Tribe: Looks lovely. I was going to say "you're close to Melbourne" but then I remembered how giant your country is. Must be a 4+ hour drive?

By the way peeps, feel free to use the OOC thread to brainstorm any plans for moving horses/tortoises.

Tribe
2013-01-17, 05:39 PM
4.5-5 hours to the city centre. Yeah, but it's a good chance to listen to audio books. I usually go to Melbourne every two months.

Tribe
2013-01-18, 06:07 AM
"Sarie, do you think we could make the swampy ground here more stable to get the horses and the coach past?"

"What'd you have in mind?"

__________________

Um, guys, any ideas?

Are there any saplings that could be cut down and laid along the road? Any other cargo on the coach?

Would taking the wheels off and dragging it through the swampy bit work any better? A few of us are pretty strong, plus the two horses. It'd only be for a short while (the length of the dead tortoise).

Open to better ideas!

:smallamused:

Another_Poet
2013-01-18, 01:07 PM
I usually go to Melbourne every two months.

I would too :)

Mostly I'm just proud I'm pronouncing "Melbourne" right in my head. The things you learn....

Failure on the Animal Care test means that the process will take a lot longer and the horse is panicking.

Toughness test for Horsey: [roll0] v. 38

Kurt Sentinel, does your horse have a name?

Edit: consider your horse Exhausted until further notice. I forget offhand what the penalties are, but he's a sad pony.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-18, 02:31 PM
Kurt Sentinel, does your horse have a name?
Not yet. I'll think about it. Kurt being a serious fellow, he'll probably go for a boring name.

Remind me, was there a penalty on the Strength test?

Guys, some help over here? :smalltongue:

Another_Poet
2013-01-18, 03:33 PM
Remind me, was there a penalty on the Strength test?

He's free; it just took a long time. See IC.

(Basically I assume if it was just a matter of succeeding on a Str test, we'd wait for a million posts till someone eventually succeeded - best just to handwave it.)

Some rough math based on actual giant tortoises indicates that this one would weigh between 5000 and 9000 pounds - potentially 4 tons/metric tonnes. That's behind the curtain of course; all your characters know is it's heavy. No amount of human/elven musclepower has budged it whatsoever.

Tribe, there are not many saplings as this is old-growth forest, but there are fallen branches. It would take a long time to gather them, of course; assume it's approaching 11 in the morning at present.

I eagerly await whatever plan y'all come up with (or better, no plan at all and Turtle's Mother attacks at sunset). I was also rooting for Aquin's "burn it out" plan but sadly it lacked confetti (http://poorlydrawnlines.com/comic/turtle/).

Another_Poet
2013-01-18, 03:59 PM
Sorry for the double post, but it's almost the weekend. Which means some of us probably have plans to work on cool projects, like Sentinel's novel or HeroCC's conference.

But I exist to derail such plans, so here's BattlePug (http://battlepug.com/2011/02/14/it-begins/).

At least, that's what I'll be reading this weekend in between writing projects.

Edit: Despite great reviews, I'm maybe 15 pages in and I'd give this one a "B" at best. Pretty, but the writing is slow and predictable.

Trying out this one (http://www.delilahdirk.com/ddattl/ch0-000A-000B.html) instead.

/comicgeekery

BloodyAngel
2013-01-19, 01:47 PM
Anyone have heal? Lynn is at 0 wounds and could probably use some serious medical treatment. Or at least a lolipop. Lynn want lolipop!

Another_Poet
2013-01-20, 02:07 PM
If I recall, none of the party members have the Heal skill. I love this group :smallcool:

All: Can I get a show of hands of how many characters are helping with Ren's plan? And any details of how you're going to do it.

I'm also wondering if we've lost Elodie and Rudo. You guys with us?

Tribe
2013-01-20, 07:01 PM
Ren thinks he cam lay the branches down and have the cart either ill over or be pulled over them.

Otherwise he might suggest creating a ramp that goes up and over the turtle. :)

Actually, does the turtle take up the entire road? They might be able to squeeze past with only one side of the coach on the branches/marsh.

Another_Poet
2013-01-21, 01:45 AM
Check out the maps from the battle in the IC thread - there is room on either side of the tortoise, but less than 2 meters.

One side of the wagon could stay on the road

So I'm wondering if you have one of these in mind...

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/7916/optionsp.png

...or something else.

Tribe
2013-01-21, 05:33 AM
Ren is pretty smart but he'd like to get some feedback from the other geniuses in the group. If he suggested the three options which would your character suggest and why?

Ren would probably suggest A because the branches aren less likely to be perfectly formed and strong enough to hold the entire coach. He'd suggest the strong amongst them to maybe prop up the coach as it moves, pushing against it with their hands or maybe with stout branches.

Surely the elf has an idea. :smallbiggrin:

BloodyAngel
2013-01-21, 12:55 PM
Ren is pretty smart but he'd like to get some feedback from the other geniuses in the group. If he suggested the three options which would your character suggest and why?

Lynn is TOTALLY a genius! Like, super-cereal, you guys.

Seriously though, she'd kill us all.

Another_Poet
2013-01-21, 07:58 PM
So the second comic I linked above, Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (http://www.delilahdirk.com/), turns out to be one of the best I've seen - very well written.

I heard from Tranquil. She plans to re-join us as Elodie soon. No word from DrumnBass yet; if he's not back by the time you guys reach Kusel, I'll work on writing out Rudo.

But that's assuming you get to Kusel. So far the plans presented are:



Burn the turtle corpse (Aquin's suggestion, Ren objects)
Use horses to move the turtle corpse (Lynn's suggestion)
Build a plank road to go around - with three options illustrated above; Tribe would like feedback on which is best.


Please don't feel the need to roleplay this all out - it will take forever. If you can throw in your votes and/or clever suggestions here, it will help get things moving.

-Sentinel-
2013-01-21, 08:35 PM
I'm with Lynn here.

Regarding webcomics, Unsounded (http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic+index) (adventure/fantasy) is a gem I discovered fairly recently. Awesome art, great characters, intricate plotting. Highly recommended.

Tranquil
2013-01-21, 09:04 PM
I support the plank road, option C.

Another_Poet
2013-01-21, 10:37 PM
Thanks Sentinel, I'll check that out. Starting soon, 'cuz I just finished Delilah :smallbiggrin:

Looks like we have a 2:2 split. Lynn & Kurt for moving the tortoise, Ren & Elodie for driving around it using branches as planks.

Another_Poet
2013-01-23, 06:36 PM
Okay, so Aquin has changed his vote. 3:2 in favor of using the plank road.

Will Lynn or Kurt go along with this?

Will Elodie assist with the physical labor?

We're close here, guys. Once I know the group's will we can get things moving.

Tribe
2013-01-23, 07:05 PM
Just to move things a bit faster, Ren will suggest to use the horse idea first and if that doesn't work, they will do the coach on planks idea. (Or vice versa)

I think the planks idea is most likely to end in disaster so might be best to do that second. The worst that can happen with dragging the turtle with horses is the horses get tired.

Tranquil
2013-01-23, 09:43 PM
Just to move things a bit faster, Ren will suggest to use the horse idea first and if that doesn't work, they will do the coach on planks idea. (Or vice versa)

I think the planks idea is most likely to end in disaster so might be best to do that second. The worst that can happen with dragging the turtle with horses is the horses get tired.

Hmm. That does sound very reasonable. If Elodie hears this, she sides with Ren.

Another_Poet
2013-01-24, 12:37 AM
Okay, that puts us at 4:1 for at least trying to move the tortoise first before trying the plank road. I'll assume that's what the party will do.

Now for the next question. How are you harnessing the tortoise to the horses?

Facts to consider:

Sarie can take the yoke from the coach, but how do you attach to tortoise?
You would need over 40 feet of rope to encircle the tortoise. Sarie can contribute 10 yards (30 feet) of her own.
Are you going to risk using Kurt's horse?
Any other fun engineering ideas or safeguards you want to add into the fray?


Also one issue: how will you move the tortoise toward the swamp or backwater without putting the horses in the swamp or backwater?

Unleash the brainstorm....

BloodyAngel
2013-01-24, 07:36 PM
Lynn in-character is about as smart as asbestos underwear... and she's probably a bit too mangled to help much with the chores of tying the turtle up and all that, so I shall abstain from that.

OUT of character however, I think our best bet would be to attach a hook to one side of the thing's shell and try to flip it over sideways. One good turn should get it off the road, assuming the ground isn't too marshy to move the horses in in the first place. The spongy earth may even help us, as one end of the turtle might sink after we lift it and put all it's weight on one-side.

Of course we might end up with a turtle on it's side stuck in the mud too much to move, but that would be HILARIOUS. We might be able to creep the wagon past it too. :smalltongue:

Another_Poet
2013-01-25, 07:42 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on BloodyAngel's idea?

As I understand it, her proposal is to keep the horses on the dry, firm road, using them (and, I presume, a lever) to lift the tortoise up on its side.

Then it could be rolled or tipped off the road.

This solves the problem of getting the horses mired in the marsh, but it is also very dangerous - you saw what happened last time that beast came crashing down.

The alternative is, I suppose, put the horses in the marsh and accept a huge penalty to their pull power due to the bad footing.

I really don't want to be stuck on Tortoise Row much longer; let's choose a plan and go.

Another_Poet
2013-01-27, 12:44 PM
Okay guys, I can tell the group is feeling pretty stuck here. I'm not above bribery :smallwink:

Right now it's Sunday morning here (in UTC -6 time). If you can have your plan figured out by end of Tuesday, there will be an extra 50 bonus XP for all involved.

And of course, please ask any questions you have. I'll do my best to help, without giving too much away.

BloodyAngel
2013-01-27, 04:45 PM
I'm down for whatever plan. Lynn is pretty badly hurt in-character so I doubt she'll be much help though. Also, she's kinda.... dim. So I'm purposely abstaining from the planning stage. Assume she's just sitting someplace and making ouchie noises unless she's needed.

And yes, the plan was to lever and flip the turtle over. Seems easier than dragging it's carcass.

Tranquil
2013-01-27, 09:47 PM
Elodie is only helping out of boredom and the desire to get the coach moving again. The tortoise-flipping sounds very hazardous, but she might be persuadable.

Another_Poet
2013-01-28, 01:57 PM
Thanks for diving in. It sounds like flipping the tortoise is the popular bet; a fact which I adore.

I'll wait a bit in case anyone else wants to weigh in. Otherwise I will go ahead and run this flipping manoeuvre as a skill test. I can roll for all characters and horses in one post, with bonuses for the leverage. Turns out Rudo has 10 yards of rope to supplement Sarie's.

If it fails, several hours will be wasted - so if anyone has any final clever engineering suggestions to make it more likely, now's the time to speak up.

(I wish I could make a flash animation of your team doing this.)

Tribe
2013-01-28, 03:07 PM
You wish you could make an animation?

I wish I knew something about engineering.

:smallwink:

Tribe
2013-01-28, 03:21 PM
You know how you asked me if there were sharks nearby...? Well, what do you know, these young guys just filmed a great white shark attacking their boat at Cape Nelson, which is 15 minutes down the road. :smallbiggrin:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/latest/a/-/article/15968181/fisherman-record-spine-chilling-encounter-with-shark/

Another_Poet
2013-01-29, 01:49 AM
these young guys just filmed a great white shark attacking their boat at Cape Nelson, which is 15 minutes down the road. :smallbiggrin:

:smalleek:

But... Australians wrestle those things for fun, right?

Anyway, on to your impending doom via reptile carcass:

The idea:

Some research on horse pulling indicates that 5,000 - 9,000 pounds is on the high end of what two horses can actually pull, even on wheels; but you're not trying to drag it, just lever it up. So it's at least possible.

I will roll a Str test for everyone involved. Lynn is not participating (wounded), nor is Sarie (she's in front guiding the horses). Kurt's horse is out (indicated in his IC post).

Everyone gets a -10% penalty because, even working together, the task is inordinately hard; balanced by a +10% bonus for leverage. Effectively, straight Str tests.

So that's 7 Str rolls. If 3 of the 7 succeed, you will lever the tortoise up; we can then proceed to the potentially disastrous consequences of your success.

Rolls:
Kurt: [roll0] v. 27
Elodie: [roll1] v. 34
Ren: [roll2] v. 35
Aquin: [roll3] v. 37
Rudo: [roll4] v. 19

Horsey 1: [roll5] v. 40
Horsey 2: [roll6] v. 40

Mystery roll in event of success: [roll7]

Mystery roll in event of failure: [roll8]

Horse handling if needed: [roll9]

Edit: I'm really impressed guys. I hope I did credit to your efforts in the IC post.

Another_Poet
2013-01-30, 01:13 PM
Hey everyone, things slowed down here for a bit but please remember we're aiming for a post rate of once a day from everyone.

If you just want to move on let me know. Also, who is bandaging Lynn?

BloodyAngel
2013-01-30, 02:00 PM
Oh, the pain. Not quite sure a bandage will help against tortoise-smash damage. Perhaps a splint? :smallamused:

Tranquil
2013-01-31, 12:47 AM
Elodie will bandage Lynn, with great display of solicitude, in the hopes of gaining or enhancing a reputation for kindness, and the certainty of getting out of a bit of the heavier labor. She will do a mediocre job of it, at best.

Tranquil
2013-01-31, 02:07 AM
Rolling to try to stop the bleeding in Lynn's right arm: [roll0] out of 100.

Another_Poet
2013-01-31, 02:23 PM
Oh, the pain. Not quite sure a bandage will help against tortoise-smash damage. Perhaps a splint? :smallamused:

Heh, true. Elodie can't do much about the bruised ribs, but the bleeding arm at least can be wrapped up.

All: I'm on the road today and will have limited internet access. If anyone else wants to do anything before the coach starts moving, go for it; tomorrow I'll get you guys moving again.

Another_Poet
2013-02-01, 04:05 PM
Long post is long.

Back to you guys; I'm visiting a friend in a small town in Mississippi until Wednesday, and can probably only check in once a day. Please keep things moving along and I'll update tomorrow.

Also, tomorrow I will have XP for you!

Tranquil
2013-02-01, 07:55 PM
Rolling my gendarme charm. (Did you want these in this thread, Poet, or are they okay behind a spoiler tag in the IC posts?)

[roll0]

Tribe
2013-02-01, 08:26 PM
Nice roll Tranquil!
:smallsmile:

Tranquil
2013-02-01, 09:38 PM
Thanks, Tribe.

I wrote charm because of the rhyme, but I forgot that charm is a separate skill. I actually meant "Skill Mastery: Gossip" if it makes a difference in what he tells me.

Another_Poet
2013-02-02, 10:58 AM
I forgot that charm is a separate skill. I actually meant "Skill Mastery: Gossip" if it makes a difference in what he tells me.

Yep, no worries. Charm is used more to convince someone to do something (for example, if you wanted the gendarme to kill Aquin for you :smallsmile: ) and Gossip more for extracting information without seeming too pushy.


~ XP Time ~

To all: 50 XP for turtle slaying. Not everyone helped kill it, but I won't penalize good roleplaying (made sense for Elodie to stay inside) or non-combat characters. This may change, but for now a group victory gives group XP.

To Lynn and Aquin only: 50 bonus xp. Note that both of them tried non-combat solutions originally; this XP is for being proactive and creative, not just for swinging swords (flails).

To all again: As promised, 50 bonus xp for solving the carcass problem in a timely manner. I'm always shocked more RPG players haven't seen this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCvx5gSnfW4). (Not that every PC would have the Int or engineering background to come up with it.)

To Kurt's horse:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Result: Gains +5% Toughness.

(Horses don't gain XP and don't normally get advances. Every once in a while I will throw one out there, though. Smoke survived a very traumatic and challenging experience here.)


For those who are new to Warhammer, XP is a valuable commodity that accumulates slowly. Bonus XP comes from bravery, cleverness, creativity and strong character-based roleplaying. You can spend 100 XP to buy any advance from your career. Do so immediately if desired; there is no "leveling up."

(I prefer advances that make sense based on the experiences that earned the XP, but that's no hard and fast rule.)

Remember you have 50 bonus XP if you used one of your two randomly rolled careers. Please make sure to track all your XP and advances on your sheet.

Another_Poet
2013-02-04, 12:27 PM
(Did you want these in this thread, Poet, or are they okay behind a spoiler tag in the IC posts?)

Sorry, I forgot this. Yes that's fine. Probably the best place for PC rolls, in fact.

By the way, since you and Kurt are cousins, you know you're marriageable right? :smallamused:

I assumed the party follows Ren's lead and disembarks at the gate. If anybody else had anything for Sarie or the gendarme, feel free to do a time-split.

-Sentinel-
2013-02-04, 03:51 PM
By the way, since you and Kurt are cousins, you know you're marriageable right? :smallamused:
Given the shady circumstances surrounding Kurt's birth, it's possible they're not even blood relatives.


I went with +5 Strength, because the group's best fighter can't have a Strength Bonus of only 2.


Webcomics: Monsieur Charlatan (http://monsieur-charlatan.com/archive/page-1/) is fairly new (only 71 pages), but seems promising.

Tribe
2013-02-05, 03:31 AM
Hey guys,

I've just had one of my short stories recorded as a podcast and I was hoping you'd hit the link and take a listen - and then cast a vote. It's all based on star ratings and the more ratings I can get the more exposure, etc.

It's read by the fantastic Folly Blaine - the American accent makes it seem a little less like my story but a whole lot more professional. Amazing how a voice reading can do that.

http://www.everydayfiction.com/podcast-edf103-forget-to-live-by-ben-langdon-read-by-folly-blaine/

Thanks!

Tribe
2013-02-05, 03:32 AM
... and funnily enough, it features the death of a child and a cemetery.

:wink:

Another_Poet
2013-02-05, 01:44 PM
Webcomics: Monsieur Charlatan (http://monsieur-charlatan.com/archive/page-1/) is fairly new (only 71 pages), but seems promising.

Excellent. I have a leisurely train ride back to New Orleans today and this might be my reading.


... and funnily enough, it features the death of a child and a cemetery.

:wink:

You had me at death of a child. Will check it out.

Another_Poet
2013-02-09, 07:27 PM
Tribe: Excellent story. You've got my vote. I'm curious, have you actually been to Portland? Just realized you probably mean the Portland in Australia.


Everyone: Mardi Gras week means I have a pretty demanding schedule of partying, parades and costume design. But I'm making it a point to check in once a day. Let me know if you need anything to keep things moving.

Tribe
2013-02-10, 12:21 AM
Tribe: Excellent story. You've got my vote. I'm curious, have you actually been to Portland? Just realized you probably mean the Portland in Australia.

It was deliberately ambiguous. Partly set in my Portland but with enough Americanisms (upstate, death row etc) so it's not clear. Glad you liked it. Not my usual type of story - but it was an interesting experience.



Everyone: Mardi Gras week means I have a pretty demanding schedule of partying, parades and costume design. But I'm making it a point to check in once a day. Let me know if you need anything to keep things moving.

Okay, so I need you to do something. Can you somehow get me over there for this week? Cheers!

Another_Poet
2013-02-11, 05:44 PM
Ha, I would love to! Also, the star rating feature on your story website seemed to be broken; I couldn't give it a rating.

Okay everyone, I'm frankly worried about the lull. Are you guys just busy with real life stuff? Is something not grabbing you here? Let me know what's going on, I'd like to get us back on track if it's possible.

Tribe
2013-02-11, 06:07 PM
I think the star rating is a bit flaky, yeah.

________

I'm a little confused about the game situation. Not 100% sure Ren knows what to do with the delivery. I think Rudo had more information about it, but his player isn't here to play it out. Do you think you could 'play' him for a bit to get the delivery delivered?

Ren could do it, but I just don't think he'd know what to do or what to expect, even in terms of getting money for it.

Tranquil
2013-02-11, 09:36 PM
Sorry about the lull; I wasn't sure what I wanted to do other than step over the threshold.

My last interrogation went well, so let's see what Gossip can pry from our new contact: [roll0]

Another_Poet
2013-02-11, 11:49 PM
I'm a little confused about the game situation. Not 100% sure Ren knows what to do with the delivery. I think Rudo had more information about it, but his player isn't here to play it out. Do you think you could 'play' him for a bit to get the delivery delivered?

Sure! That makes perfect sense, Ren, thanks for letting me know you felt stuck.

I'll ask you all to do me a favor - in keeping with the "try to post every day" goal, if you feel stuck and/or have nothing active to do, at least post here in the OOC thread and tell me that. Otherwise we get the situation where you're waiting on me, and I'm waiting on you.



My last interrogation went well, so let's see what Gossip can pry from our new contact: [roll0]

Can you post IC as well? I have no idea what kinds of questions you want to ask the housekeeper. You failed the roll, but certain things she'll answer just because you ask.

Another_Poet
2013-02-15, 03:38 AM
Looks like this scene is wrapping up. When you leave the Temple, where are you going - to the doctor's, or to look for lodging?

Another_Poet
2013-02-17, 06:40 PM
Okay! Mardi Gras is over, and last night was my Vodou initiation, which I've been preparing for all week. (Truly a wonderful experience, by the way.)

That means I'm back to being able to give this game my full attention. An update is up for two parts of the group.

I've been long overdue finishing a map of Kusel, and hope to post it by tomorrow so the geography will all make more sense.

Tranquil, we're waiting on you before I can update for you and Kurt. One of you will need to decide where you're actually going :smallsmile: If you want to snoop around and check out all the inns, that too can be arranged.

Another_Poet
2013-02-20, 01:47 AM
Tranquil, I'm not clear - are you asking around about Vargas now, or is that just musing in Elodie's head?

I notice Kurt is very much the strong & silent type and Elodie is keeping her schemes to herself. Which makes for two very cool characters but it's hard for me to know what you're doing - the more direction you can give me, the better :smallwink:

theherocc
2013-02-20, 05:00 PM
Can I have some more information about the elf? Age, type of elf, is he dressed well? That's going to dictate the level (and content) of snarkiness in Aquin's reply.

Another_Poet
2013-02-20, 05:45 PM
Sure! I love how you're essentially recreating Bard's Tale here, Matt :smallamused:

He is well dressed in light, but well made elven clothing. Clean, head held high, and the manner in which he spoke to you is rather formal.

It's hard to estimate age with elves but he is definitely not elderly.

theherocc
2013-02-20, 08:18 PM
I don't know what Bard's Tale is, but I'm sure it must be good.

Another_Poet
2013-02-21, 12:20 AM
Originally it was a very, very early dungeon delving video game but the one I'm referring to was the 2004 sequel which features pretty hilarious dark humor and one very self-interested bard.

IIRC, in dialogue you had the option to answer "snarky," intimidating or sarcastically flattering.

Tranquil
2013-02-21, 01:59 AM
Tranquil, I'm not clear - are you asking around about Vargas now, or is that just musing in Elodie's head?

I notice Kurt is very much the strong & silent type and Elodie is keeping her schemes to herself. Which makes for two very cool characters but it's hard for me to know what you're doing - the more direction you can give me, the better :smallwink:

Ah--Elodie is asking. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Another_Poet
2013-02-21, 02:08 AM
Cool! I will edit an update for you into the last IC post.

Tranquil
2013-02-21, 02:14 AM
Nothing to see here! My internet crashed as I was sending my last post.

Tranquil
2013-02-23, 06:19 AM
Do I need to roll to persuade Kurt to spy for me? [roll0]

Another_Poet
2013-02-23, 11:35 AM
Generally PC's get to make their own decisions, rather than using Charm tests on each other. Sentinel is traveling at the mo but I'll give him a little time to respond.

To answer your question: nobles are even more likely to be faithful Sigmarites, at least for appearances, though they might follow almost any of the deities (Taal and Rhya not so much, because nobles don't farm) or be widely polytheistic, offering to various deities as appropriate. The warrior deities would be very common. It's unusual for anyone to follow Morr unless they are part of a dedicated order.

Also, here is a Fellowship test for Herocc: [roll0]

Another_Poet
2013-02-24, 07:01 PM
You know, Tranquil, I was thinking more about this. Specifically you asked whether all the von Stadlers might be worshippers of Morr, and my first response was that that would be unusual.

However, it's certainly possible that there's a strong family tradition of serving in the Knights of the Raven. That order is strong in eastern Stirland, as it guards the border against Sylvania, where there were once vampire counts and the undead still arise from time to time. (Rudo lost his family in Sylvania.)

Your family's lands aren't that far east, but it would still be possible for any Stirland aristocratic family to be involved with the Knights of the Raven. (In that case I would expect that Kurt's sternness is typical of the family. The Raven knights are templars, plus they have a particularly grim duty.)

On the other hand Sentinel has established Kurt as a black sheep, so he could be the only one in the family with any tie to the Knights of the Raven.

Anyway, it's your family, choose as you see fit :smallsmile: I just wanted to amend myself and let you know it wouldn't be so unusual as I first thought.

-Sentinel-
2013-02-24, 07:48 PM
On the other hand Sentinel has established Kurt as a black sheep,
Not exactly. While Kurt's legitimacy is in question, he tries to compensate for it by being a very dutiful son, as if to 'earn' his place.

Another_Poet
2013-02-27, 11:24 AM
Update: I'm going on a short camping trip with some friends. The next update will likely be Thursday night when I return. Sorry for delay!

Tribe
2013-03-01, 12:21 AM
Ren's Perception roll:

Has Perception 35, rolls a [roll0]

Another_Poet
2013-03-01, 01:26 AM
Ren notices that the drivers at the other table fall quiet as he talks with Sarie.

(Also, never feel a need to wait for a response from me like the one above - generally you can roll and post right away, and if there's anything extra I need to tell you I'll reveal it in the next update.)

Sentinel, I know you're still away from home but if you happen to check in here, we're waiting on a post from you.

Another_Poet
2013-03-02, 12:07 AM
Tribe, almost forgot. Before you get your face knocked in you should deduct 8 pennies from your money supplies, for the two wines. (12 pennies to a silver schilling, 20 schillings to a gold, if that helps.) The price seemed high to Ren.

Tranquil, if Elodie continues to make further Gossip attempts after the current scene, you should also consider spending some money on buying drinks for people. Then again, you could probably get Ren someone to buy drinks for you.

Tribe
2013-03-02, 08:33 PM
Tribe, almost forgot. Before you get your face knocked in you should deduct 8 pennies from your money supplies, for the two wines. (12 pennies to a silver schilling, 20 schillings to a gold, if that helps.) The price seemed high to Ren.

Done. Festival prices are always high... I guess (insert 'sinking feeling').

Another_Poet
2013-03-04, 09:20 AM
Tribe, just checking - are you inventing the "mysterious bodies every night" thing in a ploy to scare him? Otherwise I'm not sure what you're referring to, and wondering if something I wrote came across wrong...

And to everyone... a general note on Fellowship skills. My preference is always to use them more like the final finish on what you actually say to an NPC. For example if you tell a gendarme to go bugger his mom, a good Charm test may mean he only backhands you instead of hauling you off to the gaol.

So, in general lead by writing what you're saying. (Or what you're asking, with Gossip.) And figure just one roll per scene will handle it beyond that.

If any of that seems heavy handed let me know. It's always hard to adjudicate how much of social skills comes from RP versus skills.

Tribe
2013-03-04, 02:18 PM
It's total invention. Ren's automatic response is to try and make the big guy think twice.

And the Fellowship thing makes sense. I'm more of a writer-type than a rolling-type anyway. :)

Tribe
2013-03-04, 06:17 PM
Ren's rolled for Initiative in the main posting.

If he gets to punch Danver, he'll go for a face shot.

WS: 31

[roll0]

Tribe
2013-03-04, 06:26 PM
I might need a bit of guidance for combat. I notice Unarmed combat has SB-4 damage, but not actually sure what that means.

Actually I noticed I messed up Initiative. It's supposed to be d10+Agility.

With that in mind, here's the roll:

[roll0] +33 Agility

Another_Poet
2013-03-04, 06:43 PM
It means damage is 1d10 + SB - 4.

Which is good. I was going to start hunting for "nonlethal damage" rules (a la D&D) but it looks like that is simply covered by the lower damage and thus lower likelihood of a serious crit.

Running to yoga now, will post in a bit.

Tribe
2013-03-04, 06:50 PM
Okay, if he hits then damage would be [roll0] + 3 - 4 =

Tranquil
2013-03-04, 09:02 PM
Can I roll Charm to try to incline anyone at the bar, including the bartender, to pick up the subtext in my speech and buy me and my little chum a round of drinks? Once I bring him his cup and have a quick word with him, Rudo will perfectly safe to sit by himself, away from the bar.

[roll0]

Tranquil
2013-03-04, 09:56 PM
Another_Poet, I just saw your note on Fellowship and Charm. Do I need to be more explicit with what I say at the bar?

Another_Poet
2013-03-04, 11:49 PM
Tranquil: Probably a good idea. The way I read Elodie's request she's just placing an order - if she's hinting at someone buying a drink for her you may want to throw that in.

Nice roll, by the way. You've been nailing these.

Tranquil
2013-03-05, 08:08 AM
Last in-character post duly edited.

BloodyAngel
2013-03-06, 07:09 PM
I am now making it my solemn oath to NEVER raise Lynns Int. :smallbiggrin:

Tribe
2013-03-06, 07:16 PM
That's awesome BloodyAngel! :) Lynn is such a cool character. And she tries SO hard!

Another_Poet
2013-03-07, 11:39 AM
Lynn is such a cool character. And she tries SO hard!

Agree :smallsmile:

Herocc, Sentinel, just checking in - since we're in split time you're not exactly holding up the group, but it has been a while since you've posted.

edit: also "I really want to bring it out for you." Died laughing.

Tribe
2013-03-07, 10:31 PM
edit: also "I really want to bring it out for you." Died laughing.

He's smooth, right?

:smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2013-03-08, 04:28 PM
Totally :smallamused:

@ Herocc, sorry if I misled you - both you and Hyras are Asrai. It's a general term for the wood elves who still live on this continent.

He's wondering which specific band of Asrai you're from. Feel free to invent as much or little as you like within the parameters of that spoiler about Asrai society. I'll let you edit before I respond.

theherocc
2013-03-08, 07:43 PM
Just back from Austin, so I'm ready to go. Sorry for the break, I thought I'd have more time.

Also, it's okay to call me Matt.

Tribe
2013-03-08, 07:48 PM
Also, it's okay to call me Matt.

And I'll be Ben.

-Sentinel-
2013-03-08, 08:22 PM
Also, it's okay to call me Matt.

And I'll be Ben.
You can call me Gabriel. :smallwink:

BloodyAngel
2013-03-08, 10:44 PM
I am Chris. But BA or Angel is fine too. Kinda weirds me out to be called my real name online.

Oh, and as a warhammer elf nerd, allow me to add something.

Asrai is the term given to the elves who stayed behind when the elves left the old world ages ago. It commonly refers to the nature-spirit worshipping wood elves of the setting who are kinda.... off. As in they worship beasts, steal babies and are well known in Bretonnia, who call them "Fey". While you CAN technically call yourself an Asrai, it would be akin to calling yourself a "native american" because you were born in america. Yes, you are by the literal definition of the word... but there's an actual ethnic group associated with the name. You could also be legitimate wood elves, but they have a very bizarre culture that would make them fit in strangely around most "civilized" folks.

Asur is the name given the high elves on/from Ulthuan. They're basically the race from which all the rest split-off and they're probably what most people think of in regards to the warhammer elves. Magically inclined, aloof, advanced in culture, art and education. They're the elves who think they're better than you, dress in nice clothes and won't let you come to their nifty cool island cause you'll track mud everywhere. They're the elven nation that has the most contact with the human ones. (friendly contact, at least)

Druchii are dark elves. Pray you never meet one.

In any case, the warhammer book kinda blurs the two together without really explaining things, which can get odd. The general assumption is usually that players are, or were, High elves... as they're the most open with humans. Even the elven "wilderness" classes can fit them, as they have their own rangers (http://i51.tinypic.com/2who86r.jpg) and woodsmen (http://digital-art-gallery.com/picture/3692), so it's hard to say.

So after that long, rambling mess... I'm not entirely certain which of the elven races is more appropriate. No matter the case, you're a very a-typical member of the race. Given that the Druchii live ages away and hate EVERYONE and the wood elves are violently xenophobic isolationists... probably Asur though.

Another_Poet
2013-03-08, 10:59 PM
Druchii are dark elves. Pray you never meet one.

Based on how I've seen you play dark elves, yes. :smallwink:

Angel, not sure if you knew this but Matt's character isn't from Ulthuan - he chose to do a randomly rolled birthplace, and ended up with the Great Forest in the eastern end of the Empire.

So, he is Asrai, right? Otherwise I'm confused. :smallconfused:

BloodyAngel
2013-03-08, 11:15 PM
Oh. Of that I was NOT aware. Then yes, he's probably safe in calling himself Asrai. The bulk of the Asrai live in Athel Loren in Bretonnia, but there are others in places. Ironically, the Asrai themselves might consider him Asur, since he'd likely devoid of the pacts and influences of the forest spirits they live with... but that's just splitting hairs.

So basically, yeah. If he wants to call himself and Asrai the only ones who would even know what it meant would be other elves... and the only ones of those who would CORRECT him would be Asrai from Athel Loren itself in kind of a "No true scotsman (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoTrueScotsman)" thing. But then, I doubt we'll ever meet a "real" Asrai... so no worries.

Another_Poet
2013-03-08, 11:30 PM
I don't think Aquin has expressed a desire to call himself that; I've just been treating it as what all of his Great Forest cohorts would call themselves in Elven.

Since you are our resident elf expert, I wonder what you think of how I presented Great Forest elven culture:


Originally I had said the Asrai are hunter gatherers. The more I think about it, the less that really fits in the setting. I'm spinning them as a comfortable compromise between true hunter gatherers and more Tolkienesque elves. Imagine small but beautifully built settlements with permanent structures, which the bands come and go from with the seasons or the years. They still travel around [the wilderness] a lot, and do a lot of hunting and/or retreats in nature, but they also do some basic permaculture food gardening in the woods and support a more settled lifestyle.

Basically best of both worlds, and not so primitive.

The core rulebook really gives almost no information on the wood elves at the Empire at all, so I've been making it up. Care to canon check me at all?

BloodyAngel
2013-03-09, 05:54 PM
I don't think Aquin has expressed a desire to call himself that; I've just been treating it as what all of his Great Forest cohorts would call themselves in Elven.

Since you are our resident elf expert, I wonder what you think of how I presented Great Forest elven culture:


Originally I had said the Asrai are hunter gatherers. The more I think about it, the less that really fits in the setting. I'm spinning them as a comfortable compromise between true hunter gatherers and more Tolkienesque elves. Imagine small but beautifully built settlements with permanent structures, which the bands come and go from with the seasons or the years. They still travel around [the wilderness] a lot, and do a lot of hunting and/or retreats in nature, but they also do some basic permaculture food gardening in the woods and support a more settled lifestyle.

Basically best of both worlds, and not so primitive.

The core rulebook really gives almost no information on the wood elves at the Empire at all, so I've been making it up. Care to canon check me at all?

THE wood elves of Athel Loren live in a thick, ancient wood under a half-pact, half-agreement with powerful nature spirits that loathe and resent the intrusion of civilization. The wood elf queen, Ariel, used powerful magic a long time ago to become one with the land itself, essentially making her something akin to a physical god. (She's also teased at possibly being the lady in the lake) Her husband Orion made the same pact with the spirit of the beasts of the land, becoming a huge, primal hunter that mostly runs with his pack of spirit-beasts. Said beasts are actually (possibly) the stolen children of bretonnia.

Children born with magical talent there are usually shunned, and only a rare few are shipped off to the Imperial colleges. Most are left in the Fey woods for them to find and take away. Some are just stolen. The females return eventually... sometimes a LONG time later, and are very much changed. It's implied that they mimic Ariel's pact and become akin to nature spirits, returning to guide the bretons as she wishes. The males however, undertake Orion's pact and are far too feral and wild to ever have a home again. They follow him on the great hunts and scourge the woods of things the wood elves don't like.

The point of that rambling mess was this... The reason the elves of Athel Loren consider themselves different than the random woodland-dwelling Asur left behind is BECAUSE of that pact. Union, or at least appeasement, of nature spirits is a HUGE part of their culture. Many of the nature spirits HATE anyone or anything that lives off the land. Because of these pacts, the Wood elves live a VERY primitive existence, even though more advanced ways of life are known to them. They use magic to grow their groves for shelter and defense, as felling trees angers the... well... trees. They live in small hunting bands as they cannot easily feed larger ones. Some swear/bind themselves to powerful forest spirits, becoming akin to supernatural beings that need no food or water. Their culture is based around two things... survival and their adherence to the primitive ways and traditions that the spirits will them.

NON-Asrai wood elves likely behave like any group of people forced to live out in the woods would. Barring having mages among their number, elves have all the same needs and resources as humans. None of the books really go into what those elves live like, but I'd imagine they live like bands of woodland survivalists of any race would. Elves as a whole have excellent vision, even at night... and a tendency towards magical adeptness. Though oddly, they're no more prone to having the talent for magic, they just take to it better if they do. They ARE however, more likely to understand what's happening to a young mage and help him learn his craft than to... say... stone him or burn him alive or assume he's possessed. They're also less prone to explosive mishaps when casting, due to their better control.

So, rant aside... I'd guess that Aquin's band lived in the great forest as a whole. If his band was small, they probably roamed, even stopping into human settlements from time to time for supplies they could not produce on their own. They may have had a set up where a core "village" of the young, old, sickly and/or non-combatant dwelled hidden far in the woods, and a mobile camp of hunters and warriors that moved about a set route within the woods gathering food and supplies to bring back to the central "camp". This would also mean if anyone did come trudging into the woods looking for them, they'd likely hit the warriors first, keeping their non-combatants safe.

Ok, I said no more, but one more thing. Elven society as a whole is both incredibly gender-open and quietly sexist. Explanation. Elves do not believe that women or men are weaker, inferior or the like. They have female warriors and those warriors suffer no stigma. HOWEVER... the elven race is in decline, and protection of those who can most prevent that is kind of a big deal... so female elves are often quietly encouraged to avoid ways of life that will see them dead. The high elves even dissuade elven women of practicing certain lores of magic (Death mostly) out of belief that it can ruin their fertility. The dark elves SEEMINGLY avert this, but even amongst them the majority of their warriors are men. The women who take the field are either sorceress (symbolically wed to their king) or devotees of Khaine... (symbolically wed to Khaine) both taken out of the breeding pool by their positions.

ok, I think I'm done rambling for now or I'll go on all day. I hope I even VAGUELY answered your question somewhere in there.

Tribe
2013-03-09, 06:05 PM
In the words of a certain Montague...

Romeo: Would you leave me so unsatisfied?
Juliet: What kind of satisfaction can you have tonight?

Ren Hardenberg: Huh?

Another_Poet
2013-03-10, 12:26 AM
I have no idea if I did a good job roleplaying a straight woman (Sarie), and am open to thoughts from all players :smallsmile:

===

On Wood Elves:

Thanks a lot for that explanation, Angel.

(In case anyone doesn't know, Athel Loren is an elven civilization on Bretonnia, an island nation that is not part of the Empire. Their people are a lot like the French but with a lot of Arthurian legend stuff thrown in. The elves there are quite... unique.)

Since we're dealing with the Great Forest in the Empire, the specific pact with between the elf queen and her goddess of course won't apply... but I do view the Great Forest wood elves as being deeply interwoven with the worship of nature spirits.

In fact, Hyras had a small shrine with offerings to those spirits that Aquin saw when he came in.

So I'm on-board with making the Great Forest wood elves very "down the rabbit hole" of nature spirit integration. Under that vision, I suppose the Lothlorienesque settlements I described in Aquin's homeland would involve a lot of living treehouses and similar.

I don't really want to reduce them to subsistence hunter-gatherers, both because it seems unfitting for the elves of the setting and because, frankly, I can't imagine Matt's character hailing from such a civilization.

So, I guess I'm kind of still on board with making them similar to, though less extreme than, the Asrai of Bretonnia and having them call themselves Asrai.

Unless that's blatantly anti-canon or Matt objects.

BloodyAngel
2013-03-10, 04:28 AM
Lol, I was more saying that they COULD be but hardly have to be. The Athel Loren elves only live so primitively because of their oaths, not because they believe that way inherently superior. They could just live like a relatively normal, if slightly reclusive due to their unpopular race, woodland community. :smallbiggrin:

But like I said, canon is very fuzzy outside of the main "armies" of the tabletop game so play them as you please.

Another_Poet
2013-03-10, 11:56 AM
Lol, I was more saying that they COULD be but hardly have to be.

Oh, totally. What you said made a lot of sense.

Well, unless Matt would rather envision it differently, I think we have our mainland Asrai.

BTW, I'll wait for Kurt to reply before I update his and Elodie's timeline.

BloodyAngel
2013-03-11, 02:25 PM
Confused Lynn is confused. (http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kbtFvh0_LkA/UE4D6FFbUZI/AAAAAAAABgE/gGHrUZA9_cM/s1600/confused-bride-classic.jpg)

Another_Poet
2013-03-12, 01:20 AM
:amused:

Yes, that looks just like Lynn :)

Two questions for you, BA -

1. Is Lynn doing anything else or just going to hang there?

2. Are you drinking your other glass of wine?

Another_Poet
2013-03-12, 02:25 PM
By the way, note for everyone -

If you inquire about lodging, Ritten House is charging 12 shillings a night for a private room. This is somewhat high. It includes breakfast, but no supper or drinks.

These rooms have two beds; in theory you could sleep up to 4 people in a room. Note that it would be considered inappropriate for Kurt and Elodie to share a room (boys with boys, girls with girls is common).

There is also a 1 shilling/night stabling fee.

It looks like you're all going to Ritten House; are these arrangements OK for your first night? If so I can do a big writeup once BA's scene is over. Otherwise I will let you guys convene and decide what to do next.

Tribe
2013-03-12, 03:47 PM
I'm happy with that. Ren, Aquin, Kurt and the little guy (Rudo) could all stay together.

-Sentinel-
2013-03-12, 05:48 PM
Note that it would be considered inappropriate for Kurt and Elodie to share a room (boys with boys, girls with girls is common).
Kurt would be insulted for anyone to question his propriety while he shares a room with his cousin, but he'll allow her to share with another woman so long as he has the room right next to it. Got to intervene if she gets in trouble, you understand.

BloodyAngel
2013-03-12, 07:15 PM
I'll share a room with her. Best to be frugal, after all!

Another_Poet
2013-03-12, 08:14 PM
Kurt would be insulted for anyone to question his propriety while he shares a room with his cousin,

Oh, you two are quite marriagable... in fact it would be a great move to get Kurt back into the estate, if it weren't so completely out of character for him to think that way :smallwink:


but he'll allow her to share with another woman so long as he has the room right next to it. Got to intervene if she gets in trouble, you understand.

Noted.

We just need to hear from Tranquil and Matt then to OK this plan.

If anybody plans to do anything else tonight beside eat, sleep and collapse in bed this is the time to tell me :)

Tranquil
2013-03-12, 08:19 PM
Yay, frugality!

Another_Poet
2013-03-15, 12:01 AM
Thanks for being patient everyone. Think we're ready to move on.


Bookkeeping

Two rooms totals 1 crown, 4 shillings. I assume Kurt kicks in the extra crown the Chaplain of Morr gave him for your lodging. The remaining 4 shillings is dutifully covered by Rudo, leaving 16s in the party fund.

He also pays for dinner for all of you (except Lynn, not eating), perhaps bucking the reputation of halflings. The party fund now stands at 11s.

I assume Kurt gives you all your share of the wages; please update your sheets if you haven't.

BloodyAngel, please update your Wounds - you should be at 0?

XP

Every one of you developed your character in some way in this last scene; I want to hand out a little roleplaying XP. Take 50 bonus XP each, please.

IC post coming shortly.

Tribe
2013-03-15, 10:53 PM
I assume Kurt gives you all your share of the wages; please update your sheets if you haven't.


What's the share? I can't remember if it was said.

Tribe
2013-03-15, 11:04 PM
Just went to spend my XP and realised Tradesman doesn't have Fel as an upgrade, so I've shunted Ren's Fellowship back to 31. Turns out he wasn't as charming as he was played. I'll need a better profession! :)

I'll spend my XP on Will Power (he needed it to face up to the bar folk) and Strength (he landed a punch against Danver).

Another_Poet
2013-03-15, 11:20 PM
Q:

What's the share? I can't remember if it was said.

A:

You will be paid 2 crowns each upon delivery

Also, something I should've asked all of you earlier. Where do your characters have their weapons while going about town?

(Any visible weapon will attract notice, but a sheathed sword would be socially acceptable whereas walking around with e.g. a spear or morning star would be quite unsettling.)

Tribe
2013-03-15, 11:26 PM
Ren doesn't mind leaving his spear behind. Could he leave it at Ritten House if they pay for more than a night's lodging?

Another_Poet
2013-03-16, 02:55 AM
Ren doesn't mind leaving his spear behind. Could he leave it at Ritten House if they pay for more than a night's lodging?

In his room, sure, although the doors don't lock from the outside.

Otherwise valuables can be left with the innkeeper, or you could probably lean a spear in the corner of the greatroom without arousing much comment.

BloodyAngel
2013-03-16, 08:42 PM
Lynn's flail is slung over her shoulder like a sack of wheat. She goes nowhere without it! Also, I'm used to odd looks.

Her warhammer is hung from a belt loop.

-Sentinel-
2013-03-16, 09:34 PM
Kurt will leave his demilance and armor in his room.

Tranquil
2013-03-17, 03:33 AM
Elodie keeps her knife tucked discreetly in her dirndl, as always.

(You can call me Thea if you want!)

Another_Poet
2013-03-18, 11:36 PM
We are nearing the two day deadline, but I would like to get posts from Kurt and Elodie before updating.

Tribe
2013-03-20, 02:41 PM
Ren will wait for Aquin to answer the constable, which I assume he'll do shortly. Right, Matt?

:smallconfused:

Another_Poet
2013-03-22, 01:47 PM
Calling the two-day rule on.... all of you? Well except Matt. If no one answers in the next couple hours I will force a response from Kurt since he is the one she first looked at.

Also, Tranquil let me know she will have spotty internet while traveling for this week.

BloodyAngel
2013-03-22, 01:49 PM
Sorry, she addressed the stuffed-shirt, so I was waiting on his reply. :smalltongue:

Another_Poet
2013-03-23, 11:52 AM
If/when you guys are ready to go meet the Chaplain for (second) breakfast, let me know and I can cut us over. I didn't want to pre-empt anything.

By the way, remember that Lynn regains 1 Wound from resting overnight.

theherocc
2013-03-24, 08:48 AM
Let's do it.

Another_Poet
2013-03-24, 12:07 PM
I'll wait for input from the rest of the group (mostly Gab and Ben) first.

Tribe
2013-03-25, 01:27 AM
Ren is set to finish up business first and then play in the festival fun.

He will try to put a cloak on Lynn, but will back off if she gives him a dirty look or bites him or smashes his skull with her flail.

Another_Poet
2013-03-25, 04:50 PM
BA was online and posting earlier today and didn't respond, so I'll assume Lynn accept the cloak and doesn't hit you with her flail (yet) :smallsmile:

Kurt is past the two day mark, so I'll go ahead and update with a transition to Second Breakfast.

edit: updated!

Another_Poet
2013-03-28, 02:37 PM
Hey everyone.

I realize that it's nearly a holiday for some of you, and we are in kind of a lull in the story (nothing is jumping out to knife you at the moment). Just please remember that the expected posting rate is one post per day, or every 2 days tops, from each player.

Another_Poet
2013-03-30, 05:15 PM
Calling 2 day rule on Lynn. Update posted!

edit: If anyone will be busy the next couple days for Easter, let me know. I should be able to keep a pretty regular posting schedule. Vodou is funny that way - the spirits are considered to be "sleeping" the week before Easter, and we make no offerings all week. We wake them up tomorrow morning with food. Other than that, it's not a very big holiday :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2013-04-01, 10:36 AM
Thea, please ask some actual drawing out questions in order to draw him out - a die roll will never do it alone.

(Note that's not just because you had a bad roll; that's true in general for social rolls.)

Another_Poet
2013-04-06, 01:52 PM
I'll assume Aquin/Ren don't exit till Gabriel and Thea have had a chance to post; it would be nice to get the group on the same page here.

I talked to Thea and she has had a bad week but plans to re-join us soon.

I love that Ren wants to be a pirate but is apparently afraid of dead bodies :smalltongue:

Tribe
2013-04-06, 03:30 PM
It's a career plan, and the bodies generally get dumped in the ocean so you don't have to worry about them... or so his grandfather told him.

theherocc
2013-04-09, 06:21 PM
Perception Roll for Aquin

[roll0]

Maybe that will work. I need a 42 with a +10 for vision.

Another_Poet
2013-04-09, 06:39 PM
It's non-visual but you make it.

Results edited in IC.

theherocc
2013-04-10, 06:05 PM
Well, that escalated quickly...

Tribe
2013-04-10, 06:11 PM
Well, that escalated quickly...

I think Ren half-believes the things he makes up. Going to make him a compulsive liar with an honest heart.

Tribe
2013-04-10, 06:29 PM
I think Ren half-believes the things he makes up. Going to make him a compulsive liar with an honest heart.

He'll try to either get Violet to disclose the location of any secret room at Hyras' place or get her to run away with him. :smallsmile:

Tribe
2013-04-10, 07:26 PM
Well, well... I've had some lucky rolls with Violet. :smallwink:

theherocc
2013-04-10, 07:31 PM
That's what Hyras said...

And Aquin had been thrown under the bus. Expecting the law to come knocking any minute...

Another_Poet
2013-04-11, 01:33 PM
Grigor ignores him.

Sorry, that was my fault - waited for Elodie before replying, then forgot to address that.

I guess Grigor is now a jerk.


Well, that escalated quickly...

That seems to be your team's style.

Another_Poet
2013-04-11, 09:28 PM
That picture is up now, in case you were waiting on it.

Interesting fact: Sarie has exactly the same drawing skill that I do :smallamused:

Also, the town map is long overdue, isn't it?

theherocc
2013-04-12, 09:46 AM
Aquin dealing the death blow... Nice.

A map would be nice.

Another_Poet
2013-04-12, 12:18 PM
LOL, that was meant to be a tentative poke at the already dead tortoise :)

Also... I realize now I never drew in the bottom of Kurt's lance. :smalleek: It was there originally and I erased to fix his legs.

Well it is a demi-lance. Ba dum.

Alright, I scanned in the map last night. I might have time tonight to clean it up digitally and tag it. Then again, I might not. It's almost like... a roll of the dice :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2013-04-13, 02:16 AM
Here's a temporary map.

It'll be at least Sunday before I can clean it up and add all the tags I want (inns, temples, etc) but this will give you visual types a rough idea.

1 = where Kurt, Lynn, and Elodie are, the Temple of Morr. You passed it on the way into town, so that tells you which way you came from.

2 = where Aquin and Ren are, at Ritten House where you stayed last night. Note that it's on the market square.

3 = the Westinchamp, where the fighting ring is located.

Hope this helps for now!


http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/9297/kuselmaptemporary.jpg

Another_Poet
2013-04-15, 01:18 PM
Aw, crumb. After I posted the last update I saw that Ren suggested going to the market instead of the Champ. Sorry, I should have read more closely.

It's not too late for me to edit the last update and put you elsewhere. Just let me know :smallsmile:

Tribe
2013-04-16, 03:19 PM
Ren's Gossip roll... oops.
:smalleek:

Another_Poet
2013-04-16, 11:57 PM
Chris, if you want to respond to Elodie in time-split feel free.

By the way, have I mentioned that 2 of our 5 players have now visited me in person in New Orleans? The rest of you should buy your tickets :smallwink:

Tribe
2013-04-16, 11:59 PM
By the way, have I mentioned that 2 of our 5 players have now visited me in person in New Orleans? The rest of you should buy your tickets :smallwink:

Pretty sure I was there in 1995 but I didn't see you anywhere. :smallcool:

Another_Poet
2013-04-17, 08:40 PM
Pretty sure I was there in 1995 but I didn't see you anywhere. :smallcool:

From what I hear you didn't see much of anything. :smallbiggrin:


Ren was still well aware that his spear was back at Bittern House...


...Hylas...

I don't know if you're doing this on purpose but I find it hilarious.

Tribe
2013-04-17, 09:06 PM
From what I hear you didn't see much of anything. :smallbiggrin:

I had a great time... Hard Rock Cafe (check), hustled on the street to buy shoes (check), stalking Anne Rice's house (check), staying in at night because I was scared of being murdered! (check)


I don't know if you're doing this on purpose but I find it hilarious.

Oh right... Ritten House.
The Hylas one is deliberate. :smallsmile:

theherocc
2013-04-17, 09:24 PM
Does Aquin have his sword? I mean, I imagine he has, but I don't recall if we were specifically leaving weapons behind.

Tribe
2013-04-17, 09:31 PM
Obvious carrying of weapon was seriously frowned upon, although Kurt can get away with it because he's a knight and Lynn just doesn't care about what other people say.

If you can conceal it you should be right. And don't worry, Ren has a dagger.

Another_Poet
2013-04-17, 10:44 PM
I didn't realize Ren even had a sword. That said, if he does:


(Any visible weapon will attract notice, but a sheathed sword would be socially acceptable whereas walking around with e.g. a spear or morning star would be quite unsettling.)

Though I kind of enjoyed him being scared of not having a weapon with him, but it's your call :)

Edit: I assumed Aquin is wearing his sword, though Matt never answered when I asked what y'all are doing with your weapons, so it may not draw properly next time he needs it. :smallamused:

theherocc
2013-04-17, 10:52 PM
Aquin has his sword sheathed. He might draw it right now to avoid any stickiness...

Tribe
2013-04-17, 11:16 PM
No, Ren can't afford a sword. He's just thinking it might be a good time to pick one up if they get to fight bandits. He's just got a spear (back in his room) and a dagger (in his belt).

Actually, he'll be scouting for a trident eventually.

Tribe
2013-04-18, 12:47 AM
I'll wait for Matt to post before stepping into the lion's ... er, I mean, travelers' den. Mmm, soup. I am actually hungry right now.

Another_Poet
2013-04-18, 01:34 AM
TREASURE!

Okay, more like a rough and tumble map, but don't say I never did nothing for you (because that would be a double negative).

Behold:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/4892/kuselmapalteredshrunkma.jpg


...I bolded major streets and marked just the essentials on the map. Ritten House is on the Market so that should be easy to find.

In theory, much nicer maps with more robust labeling (inns, temples etc) can happen in the future. If time permits.

NB, I have added this map to the info post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14454522#post14454522).


Aquin has his sword sheathed. He might draw it right now to avoid any stickiness...

I dunno, Aquin Stickysword has a nice ring to it...

theherocc
2013-04-18, 08:56 PM
Roll didn't work in the other post.

[roll0]

Another_Poet
2013-04-22, 03:55 PM
I think it's worth noting:


Ren has prepaid for 2 more nights at Ritten House for the whole group and not requested reimbursement (yet)
Elodie was given the entire 10 gc payment for the whole group
An unspecified amount of the 10 gc was handed to Lynn by Elodie


Feel free to make your finances as tangled as you like, as long as your sheets stay accurate.

...which at present would require knowing how much Elodie handed over :smallamused:

Tribe
2013-04-29, 07:21 AM
Ren will attempt to Evaluate the ring. He's got 35 and rolls a [roll0].

Tribe
2013-04-29, 07:22 AM
Ren will attempt to Evaluate the ring. He's got 35 and rolls a [roll0].

I think the boy's in love.
Stars in his eyes!

Tribe
2013-04-30, 03:47 AM
Two crowns deleted from Ren's fortune. :smallsmile:

Another_Poet
2013-05-02, 11:25 AM
Apparently I need to find a new avatar. Mine's disappeared :smallannoyed:

Another_Poet
2013-05-06, 11:53 PM
Team Elodie/Kurt/Lynn:

Where exactly are y'all headed?

Tranquil
2013-05-09, 03:20 AM
Team Elodie/Kurt/Lynn:

Where exactly are y'all headed?

On Elodie's behalf, I suggest wandering blithely through bad neighbourhoods, gawking and smiling at the quaint, picturesque poor.

-Sentinel-
2013-05-09, 08:44 AM
On Elodie's behalf, I suggest wandering blithely through bad neighbourhoods, gawking and smiling at the quaint, picturesque poor.
LOL. Elodie's awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Kurt is not too keen on this, but he wants to find the others, and this seems like as good a way as any to stumble upon them.

Another_Poet
2013-05-10, 12:47 AM
totes not important: [roll0]


LOL. Elodie's awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Kurt is not too keen on this, but he wants to find the others, and this seems like as good a way as any to stumble upon them.

Aaaaaaahahahaha.

I am so glad that suggestion was taken seriously :smallsmile:

Can someone tell me how much money Elodie gave Lynn? It is literally impossible for character sheets to be accurate if not specified :smallfrown:

Another_Poet
2013-05-12, 05:26 PM
It's been two days since any player has posted.

In particular I'd like to hear from Elodie, Kurt and Lynn; I suspect the others are waiting at the inn till you come back.

If you guys need to be away this long please let me know before you disappear. As GM, this is becoming quite frustrating.

Tranquil
2013-05-15, 12:00 AM
Can someone tell me how much money Elodie gave Lynn? It is literally impossible for character sheets to be accurate if not specified :smallfrown:

Is it ten crowns divided 5 ways, or...how many party members said they didn't want a reward? It was fun coaxing Lynn into taking the money, but if I had understood that Elodie had the cash in her hand, I don't know that I'd have rp'd it that way. Not a big deal, though.

Can she just give Lynn 2 crowns as her share of the 10 as divided 5 ways, then...uh...use the rest as seed money for Elodie's awesome new charity which will help impoverished Kussel youth by matching them with "internships" (service positions) and "apprenticeships" that may or may not actually ever pay or teach them anything? While also requiring huge administrative fees from those wealthy enough to take on "interns" and "apprentices?"

It's sad that in the Warhammer world, indentured servitude might in fact lead to better lives and brighter futures for these kids. At least that's what Elodie will tell herself, and may even actually believe.

Edited to add: I am not entirely sure I can RP something this diabolical. But I guess I'm looking forward to finding out? Or maybe one of the town's big shot philanthropists will guide young Elodie to a less evil path.

Another_Poet
2013-05-16, 04:56 PM
Can she just give Lynn 2 crowns as her share of the 10 as divided 5 ways,

It's up to you guys, so sure.


then...uh...use the rest as seed money for Elodie's awesome new charity which will help impoverished Kussel youth by matching them with "internships" (service positions) and "apprenticeships" that may or may not actually ever pay or teach them anything?

<...>

Edited to add: I am not entirely sure I can RP something this diabolical. But I guess I'm looking forward to finding out? Or maybe one of the town's big shot philanthropists will guide young Elodie to a less evil path.

I can't really weigh in much, other than to say that I have no problem with diabolical PC behavior in my games. As long as the other players are comfortable :smallcool:

Tribe
2013-05-18, 07:27 AM
I guess Ren won't have a problem with it. He doesn't even know Elodie has the money.

theherocc
2013-05-18, 10:47 AM
Is it wrong that I haven't been reading the story of the other characters? I thought we were just supposed to be reading and responding to ours.

Aquin will need an actual recap from Elodie if possible.

Tranquil
2013-05-18, 01:58 PM
Is it wrong that I haven't been reading the story of the other characters? I thought we were just supposed to be reading and responding to ours.

Aquin will need an actual recap from Elodie if possible.

The only thing that's happened related to this is that Grigor gave Elodie 10 gc as payment for the whole party. Since I think everyone but my character refused to take any compensation and are risking their lives on the mission out of the goodness of their hearts, this leaves Elodie with a rather large sum of money and, as always, a burning desire to help the poor and needy. She is in fact sincere about her charity on some level, but does not understand the poor and their needs very well, and Elodie's drives for power, influence, and fame will always come first.

theherocc
2013-05-18, 02:07 PM
I was referring to this: "Elodie summarized what they had learned from Grigor and Danpur after Aquin and Ren's departure."

Also, I am pretty sure Aquin didn't take on the effort out of the goodness of his heart. He'll be expecting to be paid.

Tranquil
2013-05-18, 02:50 PM
I was referring to this: "Elodie summarized what they had learned from Grigor and Danpur after Aquin and Ren's departure."

There was frankly too much information for me to summarize here, and I'm not at all sure what, if any, of it will turn out to be relevant. Could you just scan Another_Poet's posts above addressed to Kurt, Elodie, and Lynn? The scene starts on page 11. Like I said, I don't know that any of it will prove to be important or useful for us.



Also, I am pretty sure Aquin didn't take on the effort out of the goodness of his heart. He'll be expecting to be paid.

Ok, once Elodie understands that, she will give you two crowns. There was such a chorus of "no, no money, it's the right thing to do"-ing when Grigor proposed the mission that I/Elodie didn't think anyone else wanted payment. Or (and this is probably the best solution if Drew has no objection) we could just say that Elodie kept better track of what happened in Grigor's cottage than I did, and have her discreetly pass Aquin his share of the gold.

Another_Poet
2013-05-20, 10:10 AM
Glad to see the recent activity. I'm on last day of a 3 day biking trip (forded through gator infested waters yesterdays!) and had less opportunity than hoped to get online. Will catch up tonight or Tues morning. Feel free to keep goig IC if you don't need a GM reply, of course.

Tranquil
2013-05-22, 03:45 AM
What time is it now, and what time do we need to be back at the Garden of Morr?

If we want to move to less expensive lodging--and it seemed like there were no objections, but I don't want to assume--what would our options be?

Also, on our tour of Kussel venues, did we see any establishments with dancing that were somewhat sketchy, but not so dangerous that it's implausible that folks like Elodie and Kurt might go there for fun?

...It occurs to me that I should be using my Gossip skillz to dig up leads on a black market. Note to self: ask around at the sketchy dancehall.

Another_Poet
2013-05-22, 11:39 AM
What time is it now, and what time do we need to be back at the Garden of Morr?

Presently mid-afternoon. Ernst Danpur locks the Garden gate at sunset (you barely made it yesterday).

Let me know if you want a fast-forward to then.


If we want to move to less expensive lodging--and it seemed like there were no objections, but I don't want to assume--what would our options be?

You may have missed this, but Ren has pre-paid another two nights for the whole group at Ritten House. (Out of his own pocket, that dirty pirate!) But for future reference, here's a list; assume you all know of these places, either by direct inquiry or hearing it from each other....

Lodging in Kusel

The Bleeden Olde Guard
FUN FACT: Suit of armor out front!
LOCATION: on Talabec Road near Castle Street
ROOM PRICES: 15s normally // 15s festival season
STABLE SERVICE AVAILABLE 1s // 1s
Includes breakfast
(Kurt and Elodie met (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14807630#post14807630) some interesting folks (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14848182#post14848182) here.)


Ritten House
FUN FACTS: Still owned by the Ritten family; known for rich suppers
LOCATION: on Front Street Market
ROOMS: 10s // 12s
STABLES 10p // 1s
Includes breakfast

Rhya's Rest
FUN FACT: ???
LOCATION: Just off Front Street
ROOMS: 8s // 10s
STABLE SERVICE AVAILABLE 10p // 10p
Includes breakfast

The Goat-Headed Herdsman
aka “the Herdsman” aka “the Goat”
FUN FACT: ???
LOCATION: off Front Street near the docks
COMMON ROOM: 5p // 8p

The Crooked Antlers
FUN FACT: oldest inn in Kusel; Grigor assumed you were staying there
LOCATION: near the levee (predates it)
COMMON ROOM: 5p // 7p
(Ren and Sarie walked past this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14856909#post14856909).)

------

The Squinting Ox
FUN FACT: Founded as a meeting place for miners bringing ingots to town
LOCATION: Westinchamp (outside town)
COMMON ROOM: 4p // 4p
TEND YOUR OWN BEASTS. STABLE AVAILABLE.
(Ren and Aquin saw this place (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15112995#post15112995), beside the arena.)



I'll add this to the Useful Info in the second post of this thread. If I'm a well behaved GM I'll also mark them on the map.

Re. dancing: there are many pubs and they all have music at this time of year. You've already identified the sketchy parts of town, as much as there are such in Kusel. The docks and the Champ seem least safe.

I'll admit I'm not sure I understand Elodie's plan :smallconfused:

Another_Poet
2013-05-22, 04:33 PM
Gah! While I was out in the bayou I missed this:


Is it wrong that I haven't been reading the story of the other characters? I thought we were just supposed to be reading and responding to ours.


There was frankly too much information for me to summarize here, and I'm not at all sure what, if any, of it will turn out to be relevant. Could you just scan Another_Poet's posts above addressed to Kurt, Elodie, and Lynn?

My take as GM:


If something is not spoilered, I'm OK with the whole party reading it (and I encourage you to do so). If I feel we need an info barrier I will ask you to spoiler it - and respect each other's spoilers.
I don't see a need to repeat, IC, what happened to each of you. It often slows things down; something like "Elodie lists the disturbed graves they saw" is often best.


Matt, the list of disturbed graves has been added to Useful Info in the second post of this thread. You may also find Danpur the Gravekeeper's Heart-Pounding Gravedigging Tour (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15130561#post15130561) to be useful.

Tranquil
2013-05-22, 05:24 PM
I'll admit I'm not sure I understand Elodie's plan :smallconfused:


The idea is to lose the necklace (not down a well; I don't want to know where it is), then find a gendarme, roll Charm, and say, "My necklace might have been stolen--we've been to some shady parts of town today! We know you're busy preparing for the festival...are there any places where or people from whom we might ask around and try to buy it back?" The fact that we (ideally) won't know quite what happened to the necklace would keep us from having to tell an outright lie to an authority. It seems like in a town the size of Kussel, the gendarmes could have a sense of who or where these kinds of criminals are. Whether or not a gendarme will tell us this is, of course, another story entirely. Maybe we'll get lucky and find one who hints at exchanging a bribe for the information. If we're able to connect to a fence or a black market, we can make inquiries about buying the types of items that might have been stolen from the tombs in the Garden. I don't know that it's a great plan, but it seems possible that we'll get a lead.

Dancing seemed like a good way to both be in a crowd of potential pickpockets and engage in vigorous-enough activity that the necklace could go flying off. Or we could hold hands and skip through the docks district and hope that's enough. Elodie previously expressed an interest in shopping, thinking to buying a satiny ribbon to tie the bauble to her neck. Nothing--nothing!--is less secure than a slippery, badly-tied ribbon with something heavy on it. But the clasp is broken now, so with any luck, that will be enough.

Another_Poet
2013-05-23, 10:30 PM
@ Tranquil: Clever :smallsmile:

Okay everyone, here is a map showing all the inns (http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4892/kuselmapalteredshrunkma.jpg). It's a bit thrown together, but should give you a sense of them. I'll put it in the Useful Info post, too.

Which reminds me - do you feel like you understand where stuff is in Kusel? I'm not sure how useful the map has been, or who is visual- versus explanation-oriented. Do you feel like you know your way around?

theherocc
2013-05-26, 08:22 AM
The map definitely helps. It's a good map.

Another_Poet
2013-05-28, 04:04 PM
The map definitely helps. It's a good map.

Eeexcellent. :smallsmile:

I need to clarify the plan: Elodie wants to be part of the graveyard team, but the graveyard closes at sunset. That would preclude her plan of going dancing to "lose" the necklace. Thoughts?

Also, Ben: it's totally up to you (of course) if Ren stays behind, but if the others spend the whole night in the cemtery it could be weeks of real-life time where you have nothing to do. Something to consider.

Tribe
2013-05-28, 05:12 PM
Ren doesn't want to go to the cemetery but he wouldn't refuse to go if the others told him to go. He has a backbone but it's not that strong.

Tranquil
2013-05-28, 06:46 PM
Eeexcellent. :smallsmile:

I need to clarify the plan: Elodie wants to be part of the graveyard team, but the graveyard closes at sunset. That would preclude her plan of going dancing to "lose" the necklace. Thoughts?



Assuming there is no dancing before sundown, she might just walk fast in a bouncy way, then if that doesn't work, tuck the necklace into her bag and wait till tomorrow.

Would it be inappropriate for a lady to ask to borrow Kurt's horse for a short, fast ride? Or, since she plans to go to the graveyard, to wheedle Kurt for a brief but physically vigorous lesson in armed self defense, then walk away without looking at the ground?

She could also go to the graveyard wearing the necklace and see if it's still there in the morning. The cemetery slumber party could provide answers that make the necklace scheme unnecessary.

It occurs to me that if the stolen goods are being sold somewhere, that might be happening in another town where there would be less chance of their being recognized. Or, since this is a town known for metal work, perhaps the items are being melted down. </idle speculation>

Another_Poet
2013-05-28, 08:56 PM
Many clever options; I'll leave them to you :smallsmile:

One note: a fast ride is probably best outside city walls, as it would be unsafe in crowded streets.

Not that that stops the Run once a year.

I like how you are actually losing a necklace, instead of just lying and saying it was stolen. A weird quirk of Elodie that seems to really fit with her overall character.

Tranquil
2013-05-29, 12:50 AM
I like how you are actually losing a necklace, instead of just lying and saying it was stolen. A weird quirk of Elodie that seems to really fit with her overall character.

Elodie von Stadler: keeping the lawful in Lawful Evil.

Another_Poet
2013-05-29, 04:53 PM
Elodie von Stadler: keeping the lawful in Lawful Evil.

:smallbiggrin:

I'll let Aquin or Ren answer about musicians. Should I take it you all are ready for a fast forward to the cemetery (with possible necklace-losing for Elodie) once they do?

Tranquil
2013-05-30, 06:35 AM
:smallbiggrin:

I'll let Aquin or Ren answer about musicians. Should I take it you all are ready for a fast forward to the cemetery (with possible necklace-losing for Elodie) once they do?

Could I compress 1-2 hours of necklace-losing efforts into one post and talk to a gendarme tomorrow (tomorrow in game time)? Did you want me to roll to lose it?

I would also like to grab a better weapon than my sharp knife (we discussed Kurt keeping a sword of some type for me months ago), and a short rehash of how to spend XP if it's not too much trouble.

Another_Poet
2013-05-30, 07:29 AM
Could I compress 1-2 hours of necklace-losing efforts into one post and talk to a gendarme tomorrow (tomorrow in game time)? Did you want me to roll to lose it?

No roll needed, I'll handle that in the update.

Weapon: Kurt has an extra sword, whether he hands it to you is between you two :smallsmile:

XP: Spend 100 XP to get an advance, any time. Track what advances you take. When you take all in a career, you can spend XP to start a new career.

You've already got all Talents and Skills from your present career so the remaining advances will be +5% bumps to various stats.

Tribe
2013-05-30, 04:56 PM
Is this a new 100XP? Yippee it's like a birthday. :smallsmile: