PDA

View Full Version : A Brewing Storm (3.5e, Gestalt, IC)

Shazek
2012-12-31, 03:32 PM
Minard is a hustling, bustling city, full of people on the go. Merchants clog the streets, heading to the grand ports from which all sorts of merchandise is brought into the city from the wondrous lands to the west. It took several days for you to learn to navigate the place, even with maps sold on every street corner. Now, though, you feel you have an idea of your way around the city, and have little trouble finding the home of your employer, a city councilman by the name of Vergers Pen Quoits. Odd as his name may be, he is well respected among the merchant population of the city, and is also known to be rather wealthy. The terms of your employment have already been worked out: three and a half thousand gold pieces upon the safe return or corpse of the merchant, Orad Wilfare. You have been informed of his last known location, in the outskirts of the marshes to the east, but are here to finalize the deal and meet the others hired for this endeavor.

Vergers' home is a relatively simple affair, only two stories tall and not particularly decorated. A guard, dressed in full plate armor, stands tall with his halberd outside the front door, but seems to recognize you on sight, and allows you entrance. You find yourself in a waiting room and are told to stay there until all your future coworkers arrive.

The waiting room is well decorated, with trophies from mighty beasts lining the walls. You think you recognize a yeti's head, along with the foot of something that could only be a giant., judging by the size. Greatest of these is a huge draconic skull on the far wall, encased in glass with a small plaque reading "The red wyrm Aryxo, slain by Raglans Deryo Quoit." Apparently strange names are a family tradition.

Aside from the trophies of battles past, the room is well furnished, with several chairs and tables scattered throughout. It appears you will have to wait.

You arrive in the order you post. First is present when the second arrives, both are there for the third's arrival. You are aware that others will be taking the job, but have not yet met.

3SecondCultist
2012-12-31, 03:41 PM
Venn examines the space around her, taking in as much detail as she can given her current position. She then brushes aside several strands of white-blonde hair before kneeling on the ground. She pays no attention to the guard at present, besides the obvious scan for threats. One could never be too careful, especially now. Venn's mind is clear... too empty. It had months since the music had left her, and although the absence is terrifying, the woman is managing so far to keep the fear at bay. She sits and waits, alone in the bleakness of her mind.
First movement to the left, cold air ensues. The melody of the ice would be in focus at this point, but the rock bass would be a good deal quieter. And a higher air concentration would have to mean a stronger wind section... what would he think of all this, I wonder? Of all that has happened? Venn thinks back on the recent past, on the vow she swore. Although she would honor it to the best of her ability, the woman would always remember that this was all but a means to a greater end.

Hexalan
2012-12-31, 04:27 PM
Thapeari eventually arrives at the Quoits. As large as the city is, the rich mans home is easy to spot. The marshes are dangerous, but he has offered good gold for the job. Likely others would have taken up his offer as well, and Thapeari sees this as she enters. One has come before her, and she waits in a the anteroom to the building. Thapeari sits down at one of the chairs within, and quietly listens to the sounds of the house.
Listen check:[roll0]
After a short time, she turns to the other woman. She wears no armor, and carries no weapons, but holds herself like a trained warrior.
"Are you ready for the journey? I hear many strange and terrible beasts lurk in the wetlands." she remarks to the other woman.

Swami Monsoon
2012-12-31, 05:52 PM
The horse was lame. Or so they said. The horse was lame and the contract was thus void (Although there was a nice gift basket from the Brewer's Guild for Akbar's troubles).

He'd pretty much seen this coming. Guildmaster Lothar was a tight-fisted son of a b*tch, the type who didn't just make the proverbial eagle scream, but made it beg for death... Why was it that the richest clients were the cheapest and most dishonest ones? It probably had a lot to do with how they got rich in the first place. Despite the misgivings, Akbar had taken the job. The cashflow situation was just that dire.

His normal response in a situation like this was to re-re-steal the item in question... but Extra Stout, the enormous, jet black Thoroughbred stallion, was far from a typical item. That thing was a monster, as closely related to the ponies and mules Akbar remembered from his merchanting days as a sabertooth tiger was to a housecat. He had no doubt that the idiot Brewers would never catch him, but given another chance, that demon beast just might succeed in eating him whole. And even if he accomplished the task with all of his body parts intact, he really had no idea how one went about fencing the Devil made horseflesh...

So now he is about to be a fool twice over, taking a job from a fat cat that he suspected was an even bigger jack*ss than Lothar Brewer and breaking one of his cardinal rules: always work alone. But the offered reward is just that good and, more importantly, he is just that broke...
Akbar entered the Quoit mansion with a sense of dread, wondering what antics he could expect from the master of the house and from whatever band of cutthroats he had assembled for the job...

In disguise Akbar appears to be a short, stocky brown-skinned man with a round, clean-shaven face. His age is indeterminate, but he appears to be middle-aged. He is wearing plain traveling clothes of Eastern style, with a turban and hooded cloak. In bright daylight he wears sunglasses. He appears to walk with a slight limp and uses a walking stick.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Shazek
2012-12-31, 07:51 PM
Spot > 30 (Venn)

There is a living, invisible, immobile entity somewhere in the room.

Spot < 30 (Others)
You can't see anything out of the ordinary in the room.

Listen (All)
You hear nothing out of the ordinary, just the activity in the rest of the household.

3SecondCultist
2012-12-31, 08:02 PM
Venn continues to kneel on the floor of the foyer, although upon picking up on the entity in question she does expends some of her attention studying the space that it occupies. This is in stark contrast to these new arrivals, who the woman presumes are to be her new 'companions' and whom she ignores for the time being. As the monk focuses, she forces her will upon that particular space in order to divulge what exactly is present there. Her expression is empty, devoid of any visible expression or sentiment. Instead of only the sight, Venn allows her soul to be carried by the vibrations, much like the music that had once so blissfully filled her consciousness.

Using one of Venn's daily ki points in order to trade out Blindsense 30 ft for Blindsight 30 ft, which should allow her to 'see' anything that is there through an in-game equivalent of echolocation.

Hexalan
2012-12-31, 08:29 PM
"Erm...something wrong?" asks Thapeari. She scrutinizes the strange woman. Could be poison. Seizure? Magically induced possession?
Spot: [roll0]

Swami Monsoon
2012-12-31, 08:49 PM
Akbar tenses, as he notices the two others in the room responding to some unseen threat...

"Are you two OK?"

I do have 20' blindsense, although I'm not sure how big the room is or if I'm close enough to whatever's causing the disturbance. I'm assuming that I've just walked in the door and happened on this scene.
I don't know if I get to re-roll this yet, but just in case: Spot - EDIT: totally whiffed that roll so I'll go ahead and edit this post to fix text color

Hexalan
2012-12-31, 09:12 PM
"Me, Yes. She just went blank a minute ago. Staring at nothing. Maybe she got poisoned?"

Swami Monsoon
2012-12-31, 09:21 PM
"Poison? How long have you been here? Have they given you anything to eat or drink?" Hmm... I don't know much about detecting or countering poisons... but what if it's a spell? Akbar takes a few steps toward Venn, frowning in intense concentration.

Activates Detect Magic, focusing on Venn first and then looking around the room.

Hexalan
2012-12-31, 09:31 PM
"Oh, no. We just got here. I think. But she wasn't doing that earlier. Here, I got a spell. Vide Tox." Thapeari gestures and looks at the silent woman.
Totally casts detect poison on her

Shazek
2012-12-31, 09:42 PM
Venn:
As you meditate and your senses expand, you gain a clear image of the invisible figure. It appears to be a male human, dressed in cloth, and stands in the far corner of the room, not far from the dragon skull. As it comes into your awareness, it seems to start, then nods at you. It opens its mouth.

Akbar:
You sense a presence in the far corner of the room, near the dragon's skull.

You all hear a chuckle, then a voice issues from the far corner of the room, near the skull of the dragon. It is smooth and rich, and carries an undertone of amusement. "Well done. Perhaps I'll see you all again later."

Venn:
The figure vanishes from your senses. The room is now empty of those not visible to plain sight.

Akbar:
The presence vanishes. You cannot detect anyone not in plain sight.

Thapeari:
You detect no poisons in Venn's body.

Hexalan
2012-12-31, 09:54 PM
"Huh. Guess it wasn't poison then." She turns to the woman. "You okay? You weren't being hypnotized or something?"

3SecondCultist
2012-12-31, 10:11 PM
When she turns to look at the two other figures, Venn maintains a cool, dispassionate expression. While she does the usual cursory glance at their stances, equipment, and expressions, Venn cannot be bothered to respond immediately. Instead, she rises from her space on the floor and meticulously dusts off her vest and light traveling garments. She can hear the rhythm in her head - even with the music gone, there is some semblance of order within her psyche. Daniel had not left her entirely unprepared.
Two... three... four... and brush! ... two... three... four... Once she is finished her ritual of sorts, Venn takes a moment to breathe in and out. Only once she feels prepared does she finally addresse the other two figures.
"I apologize for that. There was a man dressed in plain clothes standing at the corner of the room, and his movement was not yet completed. As you can see, I am perfectly fine. You may call me Venn. And you are...?"

Lix Lorn
2012-12-31, 10:14 PM
Naomi appeared in the nearest dark alley from the house, shadows twisting and bending to let her step through.

It's been a while since she last accepted a contract, and far longer since she took one with other people on it. She has a few reservations, but as she heads for the door-slightly late-she's sure things will work out. Or not.

Swami Monsoon
2012-12-31, 10:19 PM
"...and you may call me Akbar. So you saw him too? I wonder who is spying on us... our employer or one of his rivals?"

Doxkid
2012-12-31, 10:59 PM
Artemis stumbles into the room looking equal parts flustered and uncomfortable; the moment he clears the door he takes a second to glare at every visible occupant in turn, blaming each and every one of you for his every misfortune.

"I swear, if someone hurts little lizard baby while I'm in here..." The threat hangs as he finds a chair and climbs into it; immediately some of his frustration melts away.

He has spent weeks in this godforsaken town constantly dealing with guards he can't get away with executing. Days searching for good jobs to refill his coin purse. Hours arguing with proprietors and guards, trying to get his beloved babe permission to enter buildings. Minutes holding back tears as he is force away from his little lizard.

Finally he has located a reasonable job. Finally he'll be back on the path to magnified crotch-punching powers. Finally he can take the load off in the few hours before a job. Finally he's away from all those who would bring death to his precious little beasties.

He looks up, bringing his gaze precisely level with the skull of a once magnificent dragon; a noble beast who couldn't possibly deserve death. "Son of a..."

Hexalan
2012-12-31, 11:01 PM
"Oh, uh, hey there. I'm Thapeari. That guy...might be a test? From Quoits. Seeing how good we are."

Aldurin
2013-01-01, 04:34 AM
A peculiar winged kobold flutters into the room, clad in an artisan's outfit adorned with some bags and pockets attached, muttering in draconic to himself. "I can't believe these towns, always in nonsensical layouts. The tunnel system is so perfect, yet guess what most of the world uses?" He notices the group, and speaks to them in common. "You must be the others I was told were coming along."

No vestige currently bound, since my reference guide to them is currently offline.

Shazek
2013-01-01, 08:07 AM
An obviously nervous servant stumbles into the room from a door directly under the yeti's head and begins speaking, stuttering to the point that it is nearly impossible to understand him. "Erm, hullo, kind masters, and, ah, ah, mistresses as well, of course. Mister Quoits is, ah, currently, shall we say, um, somewhat occupied? He will see you in, ah, a few minutes, I think." By the end of his little speech, the small servant is obviously flushed red, and he darts out of the room back the way he came without waiting for a response.

Doxkid
2013-01-01, 08:16 AM
"Wait, why did one of you kill that beautiful, majestic-" The man darts out of the room before Artemis can finish. "...I need the money. I need the money. I need the money. I can't punch this guy in the crotch until I get my money..."

3SecondCultist
2013-01-01, 10:21 AM
Venn watches everyone as they enter the chamber, wondering absentmindedly how many people had been assigned the same task. It was good that there would be a wide variety, at the very least - it might make for a better harmony down the line. Her smile is small and kept to herself, and she goes back to kneeling on the floor and waiting for 'Quori' to appear. Her eyes are closed, but in truth she can still see better than most.

Blindsight is over now, but Blindsense 30 is still active.

Hexalan
2013-01-01, 11:28 AM
"I suppose we passed the test then." Thapeari turns back and gazes at the new arrivals. "Strange men for a strange task."

Aldurin
2013-01-01, 11:15 PM
Made wary by the servant's odd behavior, S'keeth hovers in a corner of the room away from the others, keeping a close eye on the halfling displaying withdrawal behavior on the other side of the room.

Swami Monsoon
2013-01-02, 12:43 PM
Strange indeed Akbar thought to himself, eyeballing the muttering Halfling and the Kobold butterfly, even by my standards...

Shazek
2013-01-02, 05:55 PM
A tall, well dressed man you recognize as your current employer walks into the room from the door the servant had left by several minutes ago. "Ah, it is good to see you all are here. I apologize for the delay. Certain matters required my attention. Shall we begin?"

3SecondCultist
2013-01-02, 06:29 PM
Upon the arrival of the man she presumed to be their employer, Venn opens her eyes, the strings that had previously swelled in her mind dropping to a low, conspiratorial tone. She could almost feel a tangible shift in the atmosphere surrounding her. The sage gets up, but makes no motion to approach the man.
"It's quite alright, patience is good for the soul. I cannot speak for the others, but I am ready to start." Internally, Venn is sizing up the man in front of her, looking for any and all details visible to the eye.

Beginning the Sherlock scan: [roll0]

Lix Lorn
2013-01-02, 06:30 PM
"And me~" Naomi says cheerfully.

Hexalan
2013-01-02, 06:56 PM
"Ready here."

Swami Monsoon
2013-01-02, 07:04 PM
"As am I..."

Aldurin
2013-01-02, 10:22 PM
"Please proceed."

Doxkid
2013-01-03, 01:34 AM
Artemis stares at the dragon skull for a while, thinking.

"...Fine. Lets go."

Shazek
2013-01-03, 09:36 AM
Vergers rubs his hands together and replies, "Excellent! Let's get to business. Now, Mister Wilfare, as I'm sure you know, was a man held in most high esteem by much of the city. Next to no one made an enemy of him - he was friendly to all and tried not to step on any toes, so I doubt that this is a matter of city politics. Also, as neither the city nor his family have received any requests for ransom, it seems unlikely that bandits captured him on the road. Therefore, I feel it is likely that he has run afoul of some uncivilized creature or creatures in the wilds, who are not interested particularly in our money. I do not know if he still lives, as it has been several months since last he sent word, but I hope that you all can find out."

The tall nobleman walks over to a table, and waves you all over. On it is a large map not just of the city, but of the wilderness and villages in the area. He points to a small hamlet about thirty miles east of the city. "This is Orad's last known location, where he sent word back that his trip was going well and that he hoped to reach his property in a few more days." He points to a small mark about thirty miles southeast of the village. "This was his intended destination. Somewhere, either along the route between the two or at his property, he was captured or killed. I have hired you to find and retrieve him, by force if you must. Thirty-five hundred gold pieces each on his return, as was previously agreed. Now, while this map is a family heirloom, a remnant of my great grandfather's adventuring days, I have a smaller replica which ought to make your trip easier. I have a servant fetching it as we speak. I would prefer it if you depart soon, either today or tomorrow at the latest, but if you wish to stay here overnight, I can have guest rooms prepared for you. Accommodations will not be cramped, do not worry. This home of mine is larger than it appears."

"Now, was there anything else, or shall I see what is taking Rory so long with that map?"

Doxkid
2013-01-03, 12:53 PM
"Is there any incentive for us to bring in his attackers? They probably won't be alive when they get here, but I'm quite sure you could find a use for the corpse of Wilfare's murderer."

A grim smirk twists his face. "Perhaps you could hang their skeletons on your wall; it would certainly improve the the decor."

Hexalan
2013-01-03, 12:53 PM
Thapeari thinks for a second, then speaks. "Have you had trouble with any specific beasts in this area? Ornery Owlbears, or a group of goblins, perhaps?"

Swami Monsoon
2013-01-03, 02:55 PM
"...and are there any other reports of attacks or disappearances in the area?"

Shazek
2013-01-03, 10:38 PM
"What, you don't approve of these old trophies? They remind me of a different era for my family, an era of adventuring and might. Not unlike your lives, I imagine. As for his attackers, should they prove to be sentient beings, rather than beasts or nature, there may very well be a bounty on their heads. If not, I'm sure the Magistrate could scrounge up something of a reward for making the roads safer. So yes, you might profit from retrieving them, though I personally do not want more skeletons for my closet. Storage closet, I mean. Not that anything... nevermind, then."

"As for bestial activity, we have problems typical of trade cities: occasional groups of bandits or orc raiders, and there are goblins in the forests, but nothing out of the ordinary. Mister Wilford's guards should have been able to handle any of those, though. Still, it might bear investigating."

"Aside from ransoms and other assorted banditry, not to my knowledge. Magistrate Bartholomew might have some news I do not, but I very much doubt it. Now, where is Rory?"

As he speaks these very words, the servant from before, no longer quite as redfaced, enters the room and speaks in a hushed tone with Vergers.

Listen DC 26, Language: Undercommon:
"Sir, I fear that the map is nowhere to be found. Perhaps the thieves got it after - "

Vergers interrupts the boy harshly after a few seconds, and turns to you, saying, "I am very sorry, but it appears that Rory here has lost my other map. Maybe visiting old Bartholomew would be for the best after all. I am certain he will possess something more up to date than anything else I could scrounge up."

Hexalan
2013-01-03, 11:18 PM
Thapeari strains her ears, trying to make out what the servant is saying. Surprise briefly shows on her face, but she quickly suppresses the reaction. Undercommon? Maybe there are Fre'Mastyans around...Perhaps my kinsman had killed the merchant "Hmm. Have you personally had any trouble with bandits or burglars recently?"

3SecondCultist
2013-01-03, 11:39 PM
Venn sits throughout the proceedings, listening in on everyone else's contributions but saying nothing. Her new companions were already proving to be quite inquisitive: their questions displayed a curiosity for knowledge and an adventurer's zeal. The arrival of the young man and the ensuing conversation betrayed yet another shift in tone - the strings were still quiet, but the lower brass was beginning to kick in, and the rhythm was changing to accommodate it. Venn perks her ears to listen for the small sounds of the individual notes.

Listening for that check: [roll0]

Shazek
2013-01-04, 01:23 PM
Thapeari strains her ears, trying to make out what the servant is saying. Surprise briefly shows on her face, but she quickly suppresses the reaction. Undercommon? Maybe there are Fre'Mastyans around...Perhaps my kinsman had killed the merchant "Hmm. Have you personally had any trouble with bandits or burglars recently?"

Vergers tenses for a moment at the question, then replies, "No, nothing of any importance. Certainly nothing you need to concern yourselves with. Now, don't you have a man to find?"

Roll a Sense Motive.

Hexalan
2013-01-04, 01:29 PM
Nothing, huh?
Sense Motive: [roll0] (forgot to put modifier in equation, it's 18)

Shazek
2013-01-04, 07:23 PM
Nothing, huh?
Sense Motive: [roll0] (forgot to put modifier in equation, it's 18)

While he sounds sincere, you don't believe that Vergers is being entirely truthful.

Hexalan
2013-01-05, 06:38 PM
As the group leaves, Thapeari turns to her newfound companions."So...does anyone know where the magistrate is?"

Swami Monsoon
2013-01-06, 08:02 PM
Akbar mentally kicks himself. It's not like I didn't see this coming. That guy will probably be chatting over beers tonight with Lothar Brewer, swapping tales of how they gained great enjoyment by mocking and humbling their favorite prole... but if the merchant or remains thereof can be found with minimal fuss, maybe we can still salvage this situation... and maybe even save some poor bastard's life. Who knows, he might reward us for that service even if our esteemed client won't. So, about that magistrate... "Is that servant still around? He'd probably know the way."

Shazek
2013-01-06, 08:53 PM
The servant, Rory, has yet to leave the waiting/meeting room where you spoke with Vergers. You might be able to ask for his aid, or simply ask a person off the street.

Doxkid
2013-01-08, 08:44 PM
Artemis grins as Thapeari walks out, alone and talking to itself; in fact he cracks up laughing, rolling in his chair and giggling in a manner that does not at all befit his normal attitude. More a lovesick teen than war-sick man, closer to the embodiment of joy than an avatar of destruction; he is ALL halfling in a very obvious way as he guffaws with glee.

Then, With suddenness that would unnerve most men he then stops, his dark mood restored in full; It only takes half a second for his laugh to die and for him to adopt the tone and posture he entered with.

"Where, then, can we find said magistrate? In as much detail as possible: what direction it is, what it is near, what it looks like and the best directions you can offer. I do not want to spend more time in this town than necessary; my sweet little baby has spent far too long in our cart as is."

Shazek
2013-01-09, 09:05 PM
Artemis grins as Thapeari walks out, alone and talking to itself; in fact he cracks up laughing, rolling in his chair and giggling in a manner that does not at all befit his normal attitude. More a lovesick teen than war-sick man, closer to the embodiment of joy than an avatar of destruction; he is ALL halfling in a very obvious way as he guffaws with glee.

Then, With suddenness that would unnerve most men he then stops, his dark mood restored in full; It only takes half a second for his laugh to die and for him to adopt the tone and posture he entered with.

"Where, then, can we find said magistrate? In as much detail as possible: what direction it is, what it is near, what it looks like and the best directions you can offer. I do not want to spend more time in this town than necessary; my sweet little baby has far too long in our cart as is."

Vergers sighs, and gives a wave to Rory, who goes out to join Thapeari and motions to you all to follow. He leads you through the streets with alacrity, always ensuring, though, that all of you remain with him and do not fall behind. It is obvious the boy knows these streets well. Before long, you find yourself in what you recognize as the judicial district. He shows you a large manor-house not far from the courthouse and explains, "The Magistrate lives in there. I can get you in, masters, if you like. He knows me and Mister Vergers well enough."

Doxkid
2013-01-09, 09:44 PM
Artemis lags behind slightly when the group firsts hits the streets, but he catches up soon enough. The reason for the delay is immediately obvious; in roughly ten seconds he unloaded an adult crocodile from his cart, hitched to said cart an set it to follow you lot to the shared destination.

"The Magistrate lives in there. I can get you in, masters, if you like. He knows me and Mister Vergers well enough."

"Do so. Silly-bottom here is getting lonely in that stuffy old cart, isn't he? Yes he is! Yes he is!" Artemis takes to rubbing the back of the crocodile's head and neck; it does not seem to react in any way.

"Aww! You missed daddy, didn't you? Yes you did!" It's vacant stare is interrupted by it's left eye blinking, closely followed by it slowly opening and closing it's jaws a single time.

Hexalan
2013-01-09, 10:06 PM
"Mmmyes, indubitably. No more dallying." Thapeari sighs, and looks at Artemis. "Is your crocodile's name Gummy, by any chance?"

Doxkid
2013-01-11, 05:46 PM
"Of course not!! What kind of common scum do you take us for?!" Artemis' eyes snap down to your crotch for the wrong reasons and his hand crackles ominously...until one of the Crocodile's eyes twitch slightly to the left.

"Wait, what? Hahahahaha...Oh Gummy, you're such a silly billy..."Soothed by the beast's actions...or...or something...he releases the energy gathering in his hand, allowing it to abate."...but you're right. Not until I've been paid." The crocodile does not seem to to even know other beings exist in this world, completely un-phased by his master's interrupted attempt at murder/harassment.

"His name is Gummy Alexandria Kellimen Mel-yith Nexus Ring-Holder Vivipas Skip the Fourth, scion to the great Skippy-Scamp Gumdrop empire. Through his blood flows power the likes of which mortals cannot comprehend; as his master I call upon the whelm his family feeds into and as his master he answers to me alone. MY name is Artemis, the thrice Scamp-Kissed."

Swami Monsoon
2013-01-11, 07:41 PM
Akbar buries his face in his palm.

This is just getting better and better...

Text in smaller font denotes thoughts instead of spoken words.

Doxkid
2013-01-11, 08:53 PM
Taking note of Akbar raising his hand to his face, Artemis rapidly quips, "Oh, nonono. You needn't humble yourself before the great Gummy! He is as merciful as he is lascivious!"

Gummy does in any way indicate he even knows you are there, creating a strange pause. Eventually he opens his mouth and scratches the side of his snout with his tongue.

"Control yourself, Gummy! That's a male. Male. Don't be obscene just because they're cowering; not everyone is lucky enough to be born with scales like you or access to the truth that guides creation, destruction and all that spirals between and beyond, like me." Artemis's tone belies amusement. Gummy's very presence suggests neither knowing nor caring that words exist, that they convey ideas, or that one particular set of words conveyed one particular set of ideas and concepts that involve him.

Hexalan
2013-01-13, 12:14 AM
"Ahh, of course. A Kellimen Melyith. I should have seen by the shape of his scales. The Gumdrop wasn't too obscure either. None of the other houses had that great shine in the snout." Thapeari curtsies to Gummy. "My lord."

Doxkid
2013-01-13, 07:32 AM
Upon hearing one of the more obscure parts of his name Gummy...does absolutely nothing. Artemis, however, demonstrates enough happiness for them both. "See? SEE? Even the scale-less ones acknowledge your greatness when they hear your name. And your father wanted to name you Clarissa! HA! That's part of why I had to give up on travelling with him; he always has some silly scheme or plot in mind, but he never thinks about the consequences."

Artemis strokes along the side of Gummy's head and for a brief moment Gummy actually seems to lean into the affection. "Maybe we should go visit him though. He's always up to no good, but it would be nice to stop in one day; maybe bring him some taffy and show him how well his first hatched son is doing."

His eyes ones again flicking to Thapeari, Artemis loudly stage whispers "And you can show off your new girlfriend, even if you two haven't gotten to work starting the next generation of Gummy Skips yet." Gummy stops leaning into the neck rub. In a furious display of activity he...scratches himself with one of his hind claws.

"I'm not getting any younger Gummy, I want me some grand-babies to spoil with candy and fresh kills and all those secrets long ago washed away by the sands of time or the waters of death. Well...great-grand-babies. Great-great-grand-babies? ...I should go make a chart..."

Aldurin
2013-01-13, 01:58 PM
S'keeth follows closely behind the group, rolling his eyes at the ravings of the halfling over his crocodile. It was bad enough that such a person was deemed stable enough to help on this job, but the fact that another one was encouraging it was pretty outrageous. But maybe people try to stay on the good side of madmen if they lack the means to fly to safety? Either way he hoped that Artemis would drown in a swamp or get eaten by his own reptile.

Lix Lorn
2013-01-13, 03:09 PM
Naomi is mostly amused. She hasn't worked with people in a long time, and these ones certainly look fun.

Shazek
2013-01-14, 12:18 AM
The boy approaches the manor, and knocks on the front door. Within seconds, a sharply dressed man has opened it. He wrinkles his nose at the man in front of it, but, with a sigh, allows him entrance without a word of complaint. Several minutes pass while discussion is made of crocodiles, before Rory exits with another man, very tall, thin, and obviously aged, judging by the white of his hair. Still, he moves with purpose and without hesitation towards the odd group standing in front of his house. He hesitates a moment, before approaching the winged kobold and extending a hand. He genially begins, "Greetings and good morning to you all. My young friend here tells me Mister Vergers has asked me to lend you a map, and perhaps tell you of the bounties in the vicinity. I am perfectly happy to aid you in this, intending as you are to find Orad. He was such an enjoyable dinner guest, with all sorts of tall tales about this or that or the other. In fact, just before he left he told me a story about a certain type of creature that I have never heard of before. He called it a "snipe," and claimed it hides in the forest to ambush unwary campers! Rather amusing, all told. I told him I'd much like to see one, and he suggested that I send a few men on a "snipe hunt." Of course, I haven't had the men to spare for such a thing, what with the crime wave and all, but I digress. Would you like the map immediately, or would you prefer to stay for lunch? I'm sure Rory would rather stay. The poor boy is always hungry, aren't you?" The servant tries his best to ignore the old man's prodding.

Doxkid
2013-01-14, 08:40 PM
"I would prefer to get going as soon as possible. If my," He rolls his eyes, "new 'companions' wish to stay, then I must profess I have two questions of dire importance: 'What's for supper?' and 'Do you have any special treats for Gummy?' "

Hexalan
2013-01-14, 08:47 PM
Responding to the bemused looks of the magistrate, Thapeari clarifies."Gummy is the name of his crocodile. The docile green creature attached to the cart." She pauses for a moment, then continues. "I'll admit I've stayed in town for a time now, but haven't paid much attention to local matters. What is the 'crime wave' you spoke of?