PDA

View Full Version : Third Party And non WOTC books

Tsumeken
2012-12-31, 08:16 PM
I've found some books from friends/relatives/etc that though not the regular WOTC or TSR publishing have many interesting ideas. An example of this is "The Complete Guide to Beholders". It was relased by EN publishing and Goodman games and depicts beholders as a deep thinking and over zealous race as opposed to just a monster that can make your spells useless and kill you with a moments blink. The book goes to separate the Beholders into 9 castes of thinking and behavior, as well as answer the old question of where these strange beings come from and how they reproduce.

Anyways, back to the topic. Have you ever found any non WOTC/TSR material and used it? What was it and how did it turn out when you did?

Grinner
2012-12-31, 10:53 PM
A bunch of monsters. The players never asked about their sources and didn't seem to care either way.

My favorite was a tribe of mushroom-folk, though I can't remember where I got them from.

ghost_warlock
2013-01-01, 12:15 AM
A lot of it is hit or miss, but that's pretty much true for WotC's own material, too. Hello, planar shepherd. :smallwink:

Libertad
2013-01-01, 12:19 AM
Ravenloft D20 by White Wolf had a totally kickass setting, but its game mechanics left much to be desired. The non-casting Prestige Classes were overall underpowered, and many of their feats were highly situational.

I did however, love Van Richten's Arsenal for the wide variety of equipment and magic spells for monster hunting PCs. Best Ravenloft supplement by far.