PDA

View Full Version : Master of Nine build help!

Metahuman1
2012-12-31, 11:45 PM
Explaining why I'm posting this, can be skipped.

Ok, so, my group will be starting a campaign anew as of next session. Right now It's up in the air weather I will be DMing or not, and there are two other candidates for it. I would be utterly gleeful to not be the DM anymore, but if neither of the other two candidates are willing to step up, I'll do it.

This thread is to give me some help if I luck out and don't have to DM.

Presently the idea of restricting Book access to either Core or Core +1 splat is being floated around and appears to be what the rest of the group is leaning toward since we have so many inexperienced players. If I end up a player and were a core only game, I'm just gonna run a Wizard or a Sorcerer and try to keep the less mystical players alive. If, however, I get to have a splat, I know I will be looking to use Tome of Battle. And that's about the time an idea hit me.

Would it be possible, to build a Master of nine, who can learn all the maneuvers, have a crusaders recovery Mechanic, a solid monk-like unarmed damage progression, and the ability to recover all his readied maneuvers every round? If so, please help me to do that, cause it sounds awesome. If so, what would that build break down as?

Thanks for the assistance, will be starting about 5th lvl, that has already been agreed upon regardless of who's DMing, and I know I'll have a Paladin and a Bard, possible a second paladin depending on weather that guy opts to DM or not. Also, it's a big group, could be up to 9 players depending on who's interested and has a scheduled that will allow commitment. Lastly, the core +1 spalt rule will I mentioned in the above spoiler will probably be strictly enforced if that's what is settled on by the group.

Thanks again!

silverwolfer
2013-01-01, 01:33 AM
Swordsage 1/Cleric 1/Monk 1/Crusader 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 9/Master of Nine 5

talonhawk01
2013-01-01, 02:49 AM
Swordsage 1/Cleric 1/Monk 1/Crusader 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 9/Master of Nine 5

This is pretty good for what you want. See if you can get the Unarmed Swordsage variant approved. If so, you can skip the Monk level, get Improved Unarmed Strike from the variant, and do Swordsage 2/Cleric 1/Crusader 2/Ruby Knight Vindicator 9/ Master of Nine 5 and take the feat Superior Unarmed Strike. Superior US will give you the scaling unarmed damage rather sticking you at Monk 1 damage die, and Swordsage 2 will give you the Monk's WIS to AC but also allow you to wear light armor with the bonus.

The other thing to consider is Swordsage 2/Cleric 1/Warblade 1/Crusader 1 and continue as above. This lets your starting Crusader Maneuvers all be Level 2 maneuvers. That series of 5 levels is my typical starting point for Master of Nine, particularly with the unarmed Swordsage variant allowed.

Also, if you're unsure of how long the game will last, you can always get into Master of Nine at level 8 if you make sure to have the skill points in place for the prereqs.

Keep in mind that Master of Nine is commonly considered a trap Prestige Class the steep prerequisites for what you get are not particularly great. However, I love the concept and maneuver access. Very cool fluff, not the best crunch.

Metahuman1
2013-01-01, 10:08 AM
I wasn't aware it was a trap.

Ok, let me put it this way. My goal for this build is to have access to all the maneuvers, and when I ready a maneuver, to use the crusader recovery mechanic for it regardless of school, while at the same time having the character b granted all his readied maneuvers every turn. I think that last part is called being an idiot crusader or something like that.

What build would allow me to do that on this character, within the limit of Core + Tome of Battle that I'm likely to be under?