PDA

View Full Version : TWF questions

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-31, 11:54 PM
Lvl 1 Fighter, 3,5E..
has TwF , Impr. Trip , Impr. Disarm

lets say he holds dual sickles..
1)can he make 1 attack and then 1 trip attempt at the same opponent, utilizing his 2nd attack from his TWF??? (or the other way around, 1st trip and then attack?)
2)can he (while utilizing TWF) , make a trip attempt at opponent X and then a trip attempt at opponent Z?? (assume both in his reach)
3)can he (while utilizing TWF) , attack X and trip Z???
4)Does the same as 1,2,3 apply with disarm?
5)can he (while utilizing TWF) , disarm X and Trip Z ???

6)Can you suggest weapons that may give bonuses to both trip & disarm attempts, while be light for reducing the penalty for TWF?

Greenish
2013-01-01, 12:17 AM
Lvl 1 Fighter, 3,5E..
has TwF , Impr. Trip , Impr. Disarm

lets say he holds dual sickles..
1)can he make 1 attack and then 1 trip attempt at the same opponent, utilizing his 2nd attack from his TWF??? (or the other way around, 1st trip and then attack?)
2)can he (while utilizing TWF) , make a trip attempt at opponent X and then a trip attempt at opponent Z?? (assume both in his reach)
3)can he (while utilizing TWF) , attack X and trip Z???
4)Does the same as 1,2,3 apply with disarm?
5)can he (while utilizing TWF) , disarm X and Trip Z ???

6)Can you suggest weapons that may give bonuses to both trip & disarm attempts, while be light for reducing the penalty for TWF?1-5) Yes.

6) Kusari-kama (DMG). Downside: exotic. Upsides: reach, tripping, bonus to disarm, light.

Kerilstrasz
2013-01-01, 01:16 AM
1-5) Yes.

6) Kusari-kama (DMG). Downside: exotic. Upsides: reach, tripping, bonus to disarm, light.

Thank you very much... if these are somewhere written (the fact that i can
do these things) and you can provide it would be much appreciated...

about the Kusari-Gama.. found it.. seems kinda perfect for what i have in mind...
about Kusari-Gama and spiked chain.. when im holding these weapons i threaten
5 AND 10 feet square distance???

and 1 more question that just popped in mind... may i respond with a trip or disarm
when a foe generates attack of opportunity??

i d appreciate to point out book and page for your answers just so i ll be ready
when my DM asks "how/why can you do this?"

Kerilstrasz
2013-01-01, 02:37 AM
i hope i get some answers soon cause i ll have to have this character ready
in the next 10 hours(campaign starts at that point)

thnx all :)

Kelb_Panthera
2013-01-01, 02:50 AM
At any point where you can make a melee attack, you can substitute any of a trip, disarm, or the touch attack to innitiate a grapple.

It's written right in the descriptions for each of these special attacks that they replace a melee attack.

There's also the case of holding a charge on a touch spell, if you choose not to deliver a touch spell in the same standard action you use to cast it, you hold it until you choose to deliver it via any attack generated by a seperate standard action, a full attack, or an attack of opportunity.

In all cases you can mix and match standard attacks and special attacks however you see fit amongst targets within reach. This is true even with attacks generated by feats or class features. Whirlwind attack will allow you to make one of a disarm, trip, or grapple attempt against each adjacent foe. The extra attack(s) generated by the monk's flurry of blows can be used for any of these actions, as can the extra attack(s) generated by the two weapon fighting feat(s).

HunterOfJello
2013-01-01, 02:51 AM
You threaten both 5 and 10 feet away with both the Kusari-gama and Spiked Chain. (Note: you still don't threaten 15 feet away, so a double diagonal is outside your range.)

Reach is usually (if not always) the same as the area you threaten unless its stated otherwise.

rot42
2013-01-01, 02:55 AM
Thank you very much... if these are somewhere written (the fact that i can
do these things) and you can provide it would be much appreciated...

about the Kusari-Gama.. found it.. seems kinda perfect for what i have in mind...
about Kusari-Gama and spiked chain.. when im holding these weapons i threaten
5 AND 10 feet square distance???

and 1 more question that just popped in mind... may i respond with a trip or disarm
when a foe generates attack of opportunity??

i d appreciate to point out book and page for your answers just so i ll be ready
when my DM asks "how/why can you do this?"

Yes and yes. Look in the PHB starting on page 154 - both of these are defined as attack actions, as distinct from, say, the standard action necessary for an Aid Another check or full-round action to charge. Page 9 of the Rules Compendium is even more explicit: "This attack form [a trip or a disarm attempt] substitutes for a melee attack. As such, it can be used once in an attack or charge, or one or more times during a full attack. It can even be used as an attack of opportunity." Page 308 of the DMG shows reach in various situations.

Razgriez
2013-01-01, 03:06 AM
It should also be noted, that you can also (or in many cases, will have to) apply any standing bonuses or penalties from various actions, feats or other abilities you used on your Initiative count/turn, when making AoOs. Many abilities that modify the way you attack (Power Attack for example), continue to run between your initiative counts. So always keep an eye on your benefits, as well as how big your penalties are getting throughout your own turn. Otherwise, when you go to max out your action economy with AoOs, you'll be flailing around hitting nothing.

Kerilstrasz
2013-01-01, 03:15 AM
Thnx all :)
very very helpful...
wish you best of luck & happy new year :)