PDA

View Full Version : Working with the Shield Charge feat.

Corwin_of_Amber
2013-01-01, 01:33 AM
There is a feat in the Complete Warrior called Shield Charge that allows you to make a free trip attack after making a shield bash as part of a charge. Since there is no restriction mentioned, you can generate an additional attack via Improved Trip. In general, one would assume that the best way to take advatage of this is with a charger build that uses a heavy shield in both hands to get 2-1 PA returns (I believe this is possible).

However, I am wondering if there is some way make it so that there is an advantage to shield bashing with one hand and using a different weapon in the other hand. It does not necessarily need to have a damage advantage, but if there are weapons or feats that function off this trip I would consider it.

So, what is there to give me incentive to use another weapon, rather than just using a shield to attack?

JellyPooga
2013-01-01, 05:42 AM
I've got an NPC ruining my current groups day at the moment with a Heavy Shield, Shield Charge and a Flail.

As you have Improved Trip, you're going to want to use it! You can't get a charge every round, except under perfect (i.e. unattainable) conditions, so for those rounds when you want to get multiple attacks, or simply can't charge, you can use the Shield for just bashing and the Flail to trip.

andromax
2013-01-01, 06:07 AM
Well barring a reach weapon option, I would just suggest having a piercing or slashing weapon handy, with a quick draw weapon crystal in it.

Be sure to put the Sweeping property (Magic of Faerun pg 141) and Bashing property on your shield.

Also if you have pounce, you can use any weapon you are using in addition to the shield during the charge to initiate the trip.. so off hand could be whatever you think is cool and has the best trip mods you have. Lasso? Why not!

JaronK
2013-01-01, 06:45 AM
Generally, you just want the shield. But there's some advantages to another weapon, mostly in terms of reach. I made a build at one point using Crusader with Iron Guard's Glare, who primarily used a shield but made use of a Spinning Sword for reach to extend the utility of Iron Guard's Glare.

Note that Shield Block and Shield Counter are solid Crusader maneuvers that go well in a shield build, and Shield Slam is of course a great feat for this kind of thing.

JaronK

Corwin_of_Amber
2013-01-01, 05:05 PM
Spinning Sword is a good idea. Is it a light weapon or can I PA with it?

JaronK
2013-01-01, 05:06 PM
IIRC it's a one handed weapon.

JaronK

Corwin_of_Amber
2013-01-02, 12:13 AM
Just a thought, are there any exotic weapons that give a bonus to tripping?

toapat
2013-01-02, 12:35 AM
Just a thought, are there any exotic weapons that give a bonus to tripping?

Spiked chain/Scorpion Chain, depending on how the DM decides that Monkeygrip works with a same size Two Handed Weapon

Corwin_of_Amber
2013-01-02, 02:06 AM
Spiked chain/Scorpion Chain, depending on how the DM decides that Monkeygrip works with a same size Two Handed Weapon

How would monkey grip affect tripping? The size of the weapon does not matter. You're thinking of disarming, I believe.

toapat
2013-01-02, 10:24 AM
How would monkey grip affect tripping? The size of the weapon does not matter. You're thinking of disarming, I believe.

Ya, I realize the tripping property is not also a +4 to tripping like disarming is.

It should apply for the spiked chains though. The point is that it is an uber weapon with the right houserules

Corwin_of_Amber
2013-01-02, 04:16 PM
with the right houserules

I feel like there's a problem here... this is true of any weapon and anything in the game. I don't mean to be rude, but other people's house rules are not exactly helpful to me.

toapat
2013-01-02, 04:50 PM
I feel like there's a problem here... this is true of any weapon and anything in the game. I don't mean to be rude, but other people's house rules are not exactly helpful to me.

Monkey grip is vague enough to require a more detailed explanation of what it exactly allows you to do

Corwin_of_Amber
2013-01-07, 06:24 AM
So, I just want to bump this and ask for any non-homebrew responses.

Are there any weapons that gain a bonus when used for tripping or maybe a style feat that adds an effect when a weapon is used for tripping?

Darrin
2013-01-07, 09:42 AM
Are there any weapons that gain a bonus when used for tripping or maybe a style feat that adds an effect when a weapon is used for tripping?

Any weapon with a "hook" or "chain" portion generally means you can trip with it:

spiked chain
flail/dire flail
guisarme
halberd
gnome hooked hammer
kama
scythe
sickle
whip
whip-dagger (A&EG)
nagaika (MotW)
kusari-gama (DMG)
chain-and-dagger (A&EG)
gyrspike (A&EG)
khopesh (A&EG/Sandstorm)
sapara (A&EG)
chain (OA)
notbora (SvgSp)
dwarven warpike (RoS)
double khopesh (Sandstorm)
ritiik (Frostburn, *free* trip attack if the target fails a Ref save)
tigerskull club (Frostburn, +2 circumstance bonus on trip/disarm)

Enhancements/Weapons/Items:

Sweeping (+1 enhancement, MIC). +2 competence bonus on Str check to trip. Unfortunately, in the A&EG it used to have a +4 untyped bonus. I have no idea why they nerfed this in the MIC.

Grasping (+2 enhancement, A&EG). +2 circumstance bonus on trips and disarms. I'm not sure why they made this so expensive, but at least it stacks with most other trip bonuses.

Guisarme of Long Falls (A&EG). +2 guisarme, tripped opponents must make Fort save DC 16 vs. stunned for 1 round.

Brutal Axe (A&EG). +1 keen battleaxe, free trip attempt on a successful crit.

Axe of Falls (A&EG). +2 returning throwing-axe, may make ranged trip attacks (but can't use Improved Trip).

Staff of Mighty Sweeping (MoF). +2 sweeping quarterstaff. Gain feat: Improved Trip.

Living Chain (MIC). +1 spiked chain, +2 untyped bonus on Str check to trip.

Helm of Battle (MIC). Swift action 3/day, +2 bonus on next bull rush, disarm, overrun, sunder, or trip.

Feats:

Knock-down (Sword & Fist/Divine Section of the SRD). If you deal 10 points of damage to an opponent, free trip attempt. Note: There's some controversy over whether this works with Improved Trip, as the Sword & Fist errata adds a sentence that says it doesn't, but the SRD doesn't include this errata.

Shape Soulmeld: Sphinx Claws (MoI). +1 competence bonus on Str checks to trip, +1 per invested essentia.

Elusive Target (CWar). Cause overreach, trigger AoO by moving out of a threatened square, if foe misses, make a free trip attack.

Shock Trooper (CWar). Domino rush, bull rush one foe into another, grain a free trip attack on both.

High Sword Low Axe (CWar). Free trip attempt if you hit with your sword and axe in the same round.

Vae School (DotU). Free trip attempt if you hit a flat-footed for flanked foe with a spiked chain or whip.

Corwin_of_Amber
2013-01-07, 12:13 PM
Thank you for that list. Sadly the specific type of thing for which I was searching is not on it, but it does give me some nice build options.

Thanks