PDA

View Full Version : Need a pathfinder gestalt.

Qc Storm
2013-01-01, 01:13 PM
One of my players in a new game is looking for a Gestalt. Everybody else already knows what they will be playing.

There is a Dwarf Cleric/Monk
A Human Swordsage/Warblade (Special 3.5 guest)
A halfling Sorcerer/Summoner
A human Fighter/Rogue

He was thinking about something with ranger perhaps. Only requirement is that he must bring something to the party other than raw, boring DPS.

The party in general isn't against optimizing, but cheese is not welcome.

DonDuckie
2013-01-01, 01:29 PM
most(if not all) gestalt is cheese...

how about ranger//wizard or ranger//druid; good fighting, versatile in spells. And I didn't notice a wizard in your list.

rogue//inquisitor(or other with cantrips/orisons), sneak attack with acid splash... maybe a little too cheesy, but anyone can play this fun.

ranger//inquisitor could be fun. A hunter of enemies.

ranger//paladin(undead scourge) for true hatred of the undead.
(EDIT: monk//undead scourge: Speedy Gonzales - vampire hunter...)

alchemist//barbarian: Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde all in one without the pesky switching.

Waker
2013-01-01, 01:53 PM
What kind of build is your Sorcerer/Summoner doing? Is he going Buff/Synthesist monster or is he going full summoning/battlefield control?
Alchemist/Wizard with a focus on summoning (Preservationist, Planar Preservationist, Conjurer) can do fairly well. If he went the summoning route, you could instead focus on other schools of magic, augmented with the Mindchemist archetype.
Ranger/Paladin with the Holy Tactician archetype and Coordinated Charge can be quite funny. With Tactical Acumen, whenever one of your allies charges an enemy, you all charge!

docnessuno
2013-01-01, 01:58 PM
If the summoner is not going synthesist, you could grab that option yourself.
Synthesist // Paladin is helluva fun.

Joshinthemosh
2013-01-01, 02:23 PM
One of my friends played an Inquisitor/Cavalier gesalt. Teamed with my Cleric/Swordsage we got everyone a +4 bonus when flanking and flanking whenever allies where adjacent to me. Your rogue will love you. Also skills. Lots of them

Qc Storm
2013-01-01, 02:25 PM
What kind of build is your Sorcerer/Summoner doing?

I don't know his build exactly, but I know the guy.

He's probably going for whatever ends up with the less teamwork. Like spending his spells buffing his own Eidolon.

Here's another update. I talked with the guy, and he seems to want a character with ranged weapons, since this is a niche that nobody in the group is filling.

docnessuno
2013-01-01, 02:30 PM
I'd suggest Monk (Zen archer) // Inquisitor then, it's possibly one of the best archers build you could make in PF.

Waker
2013-01-01, 02:39 PM
The Doc is right, you'd be hard pressed to make a better archer.
Scratch that, forgot about the Cleric/Monk player.

EpsilRon
2013-01-01, 02:50 PM
Cleric//Gunslinger seems like it would be good for the group... healing/buffing/ranged support... and its a cool concept to boot.

DMVerdandi
2013-01-01, 03:01 PM
How about Magus//Wizard?

That could be quite fun. Keeps the theme of the magus but expands the arcane side.

If magic isn't something your character wants, how about barbarian//ranger?
More power, has a primal feel to it, and potential to kick much ass.

More still, He could Pick something like Fighter//Oracle if you want.
Play something like a fortune teller that actively goes and gets stuff done himself rather than waiting for anyone to help. The Gods help those who help themselves.

Waker
2013-01-01, 04:45 PM
He wants to use a ranged weapon, but he doesn't want to just be there for damage. Since you have a Cleric and Sorcerer, the spellcasting should be covered, but it never hurts to have a little more.
You could go with Gunslinger/Bard (Arcane Duelist) and bond with your gun of choice. Zen Archer/Arcane Duelist would work too,though you would be a little MAD with needing Wisdom and Charisma.

Qc Storm
2013-01-01, 06:14 PM
We have some sort of unwritten rule where people are not allowed to take classes other players already have.

We discussed some more and we may have found something for him.

Zen Archery Monk/Paladin.

Considering Zen Archer Monk is not really a monk, we can make an exception. Both classes share a Wisdom necessity. Flurry of Blows allow him to skip some feats. I can also see smite evil being extremely powerful with ranged attacks.

The only problem is that his Paladin Auras are pretty much wasted.

How does it sound?

Waker
2013-01-01, 06:23 PM
Well, the auras aren't wasted, the character himself would still gain the benefits of the the immunities, but if you are looking to do something else with them you could try Holy Tactician. It loses it's auras but grants teamwork feats to his allies, allows 5-foot repositioning at the expense of his move action, and his Smite Evil equivalent grants allies increased hit/damage.

Slipperychicken
2013-01-01, 06:28 PM
Alchemist//Arcane Bomber Wizard

Double bomb progression. Brings casting from both classes in addition to massive bombage. You'll probably want the Precise Bombs discovery to avoid murderizing your friends. Although you give up four schools of Wizard, you'll have tons of options between spells, bombs, and extracts. So you might want to focus your Wizard side on utility and control.

EDIT: For even more bomb damage, you can consider archery feats like Rapid Shot. Half Orc's favored class bonus boosts damage by 1/2 levels. Pyromaniac Gnome with the favored class bonus would give you more bombs per day, but only increase damage by 1d6 for fire bombs. Race depends on how many bombs you plan on chucking each day. And you'll want to take discoveries which add rider effects to the bombs (Stinking/nauseate, dispelling, Force/Prone, etc), so you can control while you damage.

Qc Storm
2013-01-01, 06:43 PM
Both classes share a Wisdom necessity.

Scratch that, PF paladin uses charisma. My bad.

docnessuno
2013-01-01, 07:29 PM
Scratch that, PF paladin uses charisma. My bad.

I reiterate my Zen archer // Inquisitor idea then.
Also note that, considering the character will be using flurry, he won't benefit from high BaB on the other side of the gestalt.

Feralventas
2013-01-01, 07:33 PM
Bard//Cavalier into Bard//Battle Herald in the APG.
All of the buffs and teamwork feats, skill monkey via bard, combat potential through cavalier stuff.

Private
2013-01-01, 08:22 PM
I reiterate my Zen archer // Inquisitor idea then.
Also note that, considering the character will be using flurry, he won't benefit from high BaB on the other side of the gestalt.

Chiming in on this. I have a ZAM//Inquisitor in a gestalt game now, and he is very effective. You can go for utility over crunch as well with the Preacher Archetype. Add Quiggong Monk for more options, and use the Inquisitor domain for more utility.

avr
2013-01-01, 09:51 PM
The problem with a zen archer monk IMO is that it can be quite boring to play. You stand there and flurry arrows, with the occasional 5' step, and maybe once every few combats you use your mobility to get somewhere the enemies can't easily.

Here's my alternative. Ranger // alchemist (vivisectionist archetype). The standard combat tactic would be to fire off a few arrows while some enemies are flat-footed, then you quick-draw your greatsword and follow the fighter-rogue in. Other variations are possible (buff/charge, buff/stay at range) so you're not fixed to one combat script.

Also you're the backup healer (which the cleric-monk will appreciate) and later on even the sorcerer might appreciate your buffs if you take cognatogen and infusion as discoveries.

Out of combat the alchemist spell/formula list is loaded with utility spells, and you're a dex/int character with 6 + INT skill points/level.

For fluff, you're a hunter who knows anatomy really well and who uses magical herbs.