PDA

View Full Version : Night Terrors - OOC



kinem
2013-01-01, 03:48 PM
The 16 questions
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 3.5, with spells and magic items from Pathfinder allowed. See #13

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Forgotten Realms, though not necessarily exactly as published. Fantasy with some twists.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

Exactly 4 PCs.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

GitP forum.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

18th level

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

600k gp. Magic items and other equipment can be taken from Pathfinder or 3.5 sources.

You can roll for random magic items. A random item will count as 50% of the normal price of that item, but you must keep what you roll and must state in advance what table you are rolling on. You can roll on any WotC/3.5 or Paizo/PF magic item table. If it's a +X item (e.g. cloak of resistance, which you will surely want a +5 version of), if it's completely useless (an evil item for a good PC), or if you don't have enough gold left to buy it even at 50% price, the roll doesn't count. You can still buy items normally with the rest of the gold.

Make sure you get the basics first before rolling for any random items: +5 resistance, +6 to casting stat, AC boosters, some way to fly, magic weapon, some way to escape bad situations.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

No homebrew. No Bo9S, and no Frenzied Berserker. Pathfinder alchemist and magus are allowed.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Any 3.5 race with no LA or racial HD, except warforged or elan.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

3.5 point buy, 32 pts
http://1d8.blogspot.com/2011/02/d-35-point-buy-calculator.html

Max hp 1st level, then (average + 0.5) per level

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

No evil PCs.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

No penalty for multi-classing. However, I prefer more basic builds. No broken combos, please.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Players roll their attacks and skill checks that they initiate; the DM rolls the rest. Use forum dice roller. Some DM rolls may be done another way since they may be secret.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257924

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

spells: From Pathfinder and 3.5. Use the Pathfinder version if a spell was changed.

cantrips: As Pathfinder; unlimited casting, using PF spell list.

Warlocks/dragonfire adepts cast cantrips as a sorcerer, but they are spell-like abilities like invocations.

Social skills modified. Diplomacy as Rich Burlew's.

Pathfinder alchemist and magus are allowed.

Sneak attack and critical hits could affect most undead & constructs.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

A paragraph or two should suffice. You must have had many adventures throughout the Realms by this level, but most of that background probably won't come into play. Motivations and personality traits are more important than history.

The PCs each received - and accepted - an invitation to a safe dueling contest to win The Eye of the Moon, a special crystal ball.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

Combination, but combat heavy.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

Any published WotC 3.5 book, except Bo9S, and no Frenzied Berserker.

Pathfinder alchemist and magus are allowed.

Edit: Initiate of the 7fold Veil is also banned.

How to roll dice (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100917)

The IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266207)

active PC sheets:

stanleyindraven as
Brevan Masterson (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=485261), Human Cleric 18

Medic as
Yulwei Ul'Dosht (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=485345), Human Paragon 3/Scout 5/Dervish 10

Zman as
Avaaralynn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=485305), Human StllwrtBttlSorc10/AC5/DD3

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Withdrawn (former) characters:

Chambers as
Har Ironearter (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=488304), Dwarf Abjurer 3/Master Specialist 7/Shadow Adept 3/Archmage 5

Xorcist as
Inanna (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=507120), Elven Warmage 18

Medic!
2013-01-01, 06:45 PM
Taking Sienna for Yulwei's speech text!

Also Howdy!

Chambers
2013-01-01, 07:31 PM
Har will speak in Bold Slate Gray.

kinem

I switched a few of his spells for some more damage dealing and area control spells. I've also priced a staff using the rules for making staffs. I dubbed it the Staff of Elemental Conjuration and the theme of it is conjuring power from each of the four elemental energies (fire, cold, electricity, acid). The staff cost 44719gp and has the following spells: Acid Breath, Blast of Flame, Arc of Lightning, and Orb of Cold.

kinem
2013-01-01, 11:32 PM
I'll allow the staff.

stanleyindraven
2013-01-02, 07:18 AM
Brevan will take Lime for speech.

Chambers
2013-01-04, 08:45 PM
Just a heads up, I'll be working tomorrow so I may or may not have time to post then. Sunday for sure.

Xorcist
2013-01-16, 09:36 PM
Hey i am going to try to write down my characater stats. For someone reason it is not letting me add the charcarter threads:smallfurious:

kinem
2013-02-04, 11:28 AM
Xorcist has made progress on her character. I hope everyone's still around so the game can get underway in earnest soon.

stanleyindraven
2013-02-04, 11:53 AM
still waiting

kinem
2013-03-06, 11:53 PM
Sorry for the delay on the IC - I've been otherwise occupied but I know I should have posted sooner - but hopefully we can get started in earnest if Medic and Chambers are still around. I PM'd Medic since his PC is up to act. Stanley is the only player who has posted recently.

Xorcist has a problem with the MW web site - might be her Mac browser - but her PC is nearly ready and it should be OK on that front.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-07, 07:25 AM
works for me

Medic!
2013-03-07, 10:05 AM
Still around might be a strong way to put it, but I'm definately back around :smallbiggrin:

kinem
2013-03-15, 12:59 AM
IC post is up. The first duel can start. However ...

Xorcist, who happens to be my girlfriend, has dropped out of the game. This was due to certain problems which also resulted in difficulties for us. It's been a tough time.

If the remaining players are still eager, I can recruit a fourth.

BTW, I'll be out of town and mostly offline through Tuesday.

In any case, if you wish to duel you have the necessary information.

Medic!
2013-03-15, 03:14 AM
My sympathies on the girlfriend troubles...that's why I got a dog and never looked back :smallamused:

I'm personally fine with finding a replacement...I'm not sure exactly how the other two are spec'd out, but Yulwei's made for scouting and skirmishing...definitely not front-liner material.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-15, 06:58 AM
we could recruit another, Brevan is healer and primary cast oriented.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-15, 07:01 AM
I need you to sum that up in terms of numerical damage please.

Medic!
2013-03-15, 04:12 PM
We can do another round if stanley wants to. Yulwei's supposed to be a retired soldier with a strong leaning towards peaceful things, but I wouldn't wanna deny Brevan a chance at a quick function-testing.

I don't know if you saw the total numerical breakdown at the bottom of the spoiler or not, but if it's for your contingency, taking non-lethal damage probably won't trigger it. (1 hp is probably a bit low to set the bar at this level too, just my 2cp)

EDIT: Also wow...the dice hate you with a passion so far :smallfrown:

stanleyindraven
2013-03-15, 09:37 PM
yep, well, we can ignore my post as i didnt see kinems until now. so, i can quickly get swamped, although i guess we should have rolled initiative, which you would have won i am sure. but yeah, ill post a different response soon.

Medic!
2013-03-16, 03:40 AM
phew! wasn't lookin' forward to trying to save vs implosion as soon as the field went down :smalleek:

stanleyindraven
2013-03-16, 12:40 PM
im sure you wouldnt have had a problem making the fort save, do you have any spell resistance?

Medic!
2013-03-16, 04:30 PM
Nope to SR...don't think I have any immunities or resistances to speak of either for that matter (too lazy to click and look atm)

I wanna say I've got about a 50/50 chance on that save :smalltongue:

kinem
2013-03-20, 10:57 AM
Chambers has withdrawn, saying he is busy.

I am trying to recruit Zman as he had expressed interest in the initial recruiting.

I'll see about new recruiting when that's sorted.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-20, 12:01 PM
Ok, sounds good. Like to see this gain some speed.

Medic!
2013-03-20, 12:19 PM
I've played a game or three with z-man, it'd be alright with me to do it again!

Should we just declare Brevan the winner of the tourney (or toss in a few NPC brackets/opponents?) and add in the new guys later as supplimentals?

(I can't think of a better person to have the artifact than the Cleric of Mystra)

stanleyindraven
2013-03-20, 12:23 PM
I thought you won the round and we decided to not go forward?

Zman
2013-03-20, 12:34 PM
Well, looks like I'm going to be giving this game a shot. Long time no see Medic!

Medic!
2013-03-20, 01:19 PM
Hey Z! Life took me for a boat-ride there for a bit, good to be back on the shore in civilization, lemme tell ya! Welcome aboard, sir! What's your flavor?

I'd rather see Brevan advance to the next round, both IC and OOC he's a much better candidate to hold the magic mc-thinger-do. If you don't want to go for the gold we can probably work something out IC and push Yulwei farther up, but I'm all for you bein' in it to win it

stanleyindraven
2013-03-20, 01:21 PM
ok, that is fine. i saw you say you forfeited just making sure where we are at with it.

Zman
2013-03-20, 01:22 PM
Well, I'd like to have my little girl (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=485305) in a mithril dress with a pretty sword who is just about the scarriest thing around(literally) to take a shot at it.

Shes got the Galadriel "Beautiful and terrible as the dawn!" motif going on. Should be a blast to roleplay. Persistent Frightful Aspect.

Obviously sheet is WIP and subject to DM approval.

Medic!
2013-03-20, 02:21 PM
Right now we have a cleric of mystra and a scout/dervish. This could end up being a very scary party =D

Are we working on a 4th? Or calling it good with 3?

stanleyindraven
2013-03-20, 02:33 PM
Looks like a call for a 4th

Zman
2013-03-20, 07:18 PM
Right now we have a cleric of mystra and a scout/dervish. This could end up being a very scary party =D

Are we working on a 4th? Or calling it good with 3?


Yeah, definitely scary, both of your characters can end the duel in a single round.

Edit: Kinem, would you like me to tone down the character at all? Maybe drop the Dastana to bring AC down?

kinem
2013-03-21, 09:21 AM
Zman, I haven't reviewed all the details of your sheet, but how are you able to cast Persistent FA? A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spellís actual level.

Zman
2013-03-21, 09:53 AM
Zman, I haven't reviewed all the details of your sheet, but how are you able to cast Persistent FA? A persistent spell uses up a spell slot six levels higher than the spellís actual level.

Persistent spell is only 4 levels higher and I can persist Frightful Aspect thanks to the Greater Metamagic Rod, allows me to persist up to 9th level spells, which I will never have.

Edit1: And here is where my relative unfamiliarity with pathfinder got the better of me. Persistent spell is much different in Pathfinder than it is in 3.5.

I will make the adjustments.


Edit2: There that should work, dropped some gear, picked up a greater rod of quicken spell to keep in my glove of storing. That way I can go Frightful Presence in an instant if need be.

Medic!
2013-03-21, 02:02 PM
Better hurry and get those new folks in here, before they all turn into 3rd wheels :smalltongue:

I wonder what the chances are of a team match? :smallamused:

stanleyindraven
2013-03-21, 02:18 PM
I dont know, that would be kinda crazy.


Ok, so i looked at your sheet and i do wonder. Your character talks like he is old, being less than 30 that is pretty funny. But also he is 5' 10" and weighs a paltry 120 lbs, which when I weight 130 at that height, I was grossly emaciated and looked anorexic. I also wonder why you did not chose to carry a haversack to lighten your load with your low strength. But that is just me.

That being said, for dealing damage, you are much more devastating pound for pound over Brevan.

Medic!
2013-03-21, 03:11 PM
Yeah, age and height/weight always make me cringe a little in D&D...I hate to make a character "sagely aged" by modern standards because then you're into all the aging penalties...but going off of a dark-ages type standard I figure 30's pretty old, lol...What I was hoping to go for mostly is a kind of a Fremen type guy if you're familiar with Dune, carrying no more than necessary, desert aclimated, etc.

I think he was originally conceived as a war veteran type of scout who survived on ferocity...that guy that shows up on the battlefield and the enemy conviniently finds somewhere else to go fight :smallamused:

He was made to be a holy terror 90% of the time in melee, and to be able to scout ahead/be a little sneaky, but that's about all he's got going for him mechanically, he really lacks the versatility to be anything close to Brevan.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-21, 03:29 PM
Full casters have lots of versatility, especially clerics of mystra who have such a wide range of spells. However it is one of those things where a battlefield control-killer like yulwei makes a great compliment.

I am anxious to see the final player, if someone picks up. Otherwise, a group of three, especially the one currently assembled would be pretty effective. Really the only thing we dont have a great handle on is skill monkey, be we can make up for that.

Zman
2013-03-21, 04:40 PM
Better hurry and get those new folks in here, before they all turn into 3rd wheels :smalltongue:

I wonder what the chances are of a team match? :smallamused:

Lol, I'm ok with three. Any word on further recruitment.

Avaralynn should be awesome to RP, unassuming but utterly horrifying if need be. I love persisted Voice of the Dragon with her 24 CH, when she speaks, people listen. If she says Boo, there are lvl20 fighters that cower.....err that's a joke, who am I kidding, there aren't any level 20 Fighters in the world since ToB!

stanleyindraven
2013-03-21, 07:23 PM
i still prefer fighter over ToB classes, may be underpowered but it is easy and even fun.

Zman
2013-03-21, 07:43 PM
Better hurry and get those new folks in here, before they all turn into 3rd wheels :smalltongue:

I wonder what the chances are of a team match? :smallamused:


i still prefer fighter over ToB classes, may be underpowered but it is easy and even fun.

I agree. I do not like ToB and generall avoid it when possible.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-21, 08:10 PM
glad to hear someone agrees with me.

Zman
2013-03-21, 08:17 PM
glad to hear someone agrees with me.

I know the feeling. It feels too much like Vancian Spellcasting, which is not my favorite thing in the world, and I feel the addition of that many maneuvers greatly slows down the game, not to mention the power bloat it brings to melee.

kinem
2013-03-21, 09:23 PM
Luckily, the Bo9S is not used in this game (per #7 of the 16 in the recruiting threads). It was a forerunner of 4e which I dislike for similar reasons.

kinem
2013-03-21, 10:06 PM
Zman, you can show up in the IC in the meantime.

Medic!
2013-03-21, 11:44 PM
Re: The Book of Weaboo Fightan Majicks, I actually like it a lot, it just depends on the character...sometimes Fighter just fits better. With the addition of PHB II, Fighter's become a lot more attractive, but you still end up with kinda the same problem...they all start to look alike after a while.

That being said, one of my greatest regrets in life was not getting to play my Fighter Hoak (an epic Fighter/Warhulk :smallamused: )

Zman
2013-03-23, 01:25 PM
Well, a 2v1 could be interesting!

kinem
2013-03-23, 09:55 PM
Zman, I haven't gone in detail over your sheet, but it looks to me like you should have 203 hp.

Zman
2013-03-23, 10:40 PM
Zman, I haven't gone in detail over your sheet, but it looks to me like you should have 203 hp.

10 levels of Stalwart Sorcerer, grants 2HP per level.

kinem
2013-03-23, 10:53 PM
Ok. These builds often have things I'm not used to seeing :smallsmile:

Zman
2013-03-23, 10:56 PM
Ok. These builds often have things I'm not used to seeing :smallsmile:

Lol, no problem. This is the first high level character I've ever built for play, so I have no idea where she should be.

Zman
2013-03-25, 12:59 PM
Well, I'm sure action economy is about to kick my butt. Will save or implode...

Edit: I suppose we are waiting on the NPC's Initiative.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-25, 01:22 PM
You will probably win initiative over me, but i dont know about swin. I may not be able to make it through round 1, again.

Zman
2013-03-25, 01:26 PM
You will probably win initiative over me, but i dont know about swin. I may not be able to make it through round 1, again.

Na, i have effectively no way to kill you in a single round. No Pounce, no action economy tools like the belt of battle. You will have at least one round, of that I am pretty sure...unless I get a crit.

Though you gotta love Nerveskitter and Extended Heroics: Improved Initiative for that +9 Initiative.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-25, 01:41 PM
Yeah, as opposed to my +0. I am not the quickest in the party by far. Hope when the game is underway we'll use group initiative.

Toliudar
2013-03-25, 11:22 PM
Hi folks! Kinem has just been kind enough to invite me to be your fourth, with the (hopefully) charming Happy Jack (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=538599). I think that my first job is to get my a** handed to me in the arena (I doubt he'll stand up well against a full arcanist). Should be fun!

Zman
2013-03-25, 11:34 PM
Well, Breven takes 93 damage if he doesn't have SR or Fire Resistance. Told you I couldn't one shot him.


Oh, and Happy Jack will be ok, I'm just a battle sorcerer, I didn't pick any of the really good stuff.

kinem
2013-03-25, 11:47 PM
Happy Jack
Jack has had disturbing dreams lately. Dreams of the desert, of sporting fights in a strange arena, and especially of a strange marble in which he sees the moon and stars. He felt compelled to investigate, and that search has led him to the small village of Soma in the Calim desert, where rumor has it some sort of fighting arena exists.

Toliudar
2013-03-26, 02:12 AM
Ah! Then it'll be a fun fight. Mostly, Jack's about misdirection and not being where the sword is about to be.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-26, 09:05 AM
that was actually closer than i thought it would be.

Zman
2013-03-26, 12:15 PM
that was actually closer than i thought it would be.

Yeah, now we let Swin charge and let Avaralynn eviscerate Breven. She's got AC48 right now after charging, don't think Swin will land too many hits unless he has heartstriker amulet or another way of striking with Touch attacks.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-26, 12:45 PM
yeah, that should be interesting. Ultimately I don't know if Swin has spells or what. Guess I should have asked him about his combat style before the fight.

Zman
2013-03-26, 08:59 PM
Looks like I get an AoO on Swin, and it's a Crit threat!

If its an AoO it's also +4 Damage from Frightful Aspect, and added damage because my AoO has to be made with my Power Attack from my attack.

Also, my SR is 18.

kinem
2013-03-26, 09:17 PM
I already rolled damage for the AOO, which was not a crit. (As DM, not all of my rolls are made on the forum roller.)

Swin rolled a 17 on his spell penetration check (1d20+16! :smallredface:), which is why his spell fizzled, but Avaralynn doesn't know that.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-26, 09:29 PM
yeah, flop on that sucked, you had a 10% chance for it to not work, and just happened to get it. Also the damage for the AoO didn't show.

Zman
2013-03-26, 09:41 PM
Well, barring anything unexpected, that'll do Donkey, that'll do. Didn't expect two Crits.

Zman
2013-03-27, 10:40 AM
I didn't realize we'd get multiple rounds to buff.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, I can still see the "real" Jack. Project Image didn't hide the original?

And Project Image was his contingency right, for crossing his eyes? Or did he just take two rounds of actions before we even rolled initiative.

Edit: Figured Scorched earth policy would be best. Two Ref saves, fail one and the fight should be over.

Zman
2013-03-27, 11:02 AM
Here are the Spellcraft Checks

Greater Mirror Image[roll0]
Project Image[roll1]

kinem
2013-03-27, 11:23 AM
The key words in Toliudar's post #75 - in his 1st spoiler - are "This assumes that Avaaralynn doesn't object" (see his request in #73). I think it would have been better to verify that before getting too elaborate with the post.

If Avaaralynn objects to the idea of having a round for Jack alone to buff in exchange for retaining her Frightful Aspect spell, then the listed actions by Jack never occurred. This needs to be established before continuing.

Also, my interpretation is that the mirror images can surround the real caster or the projected image but will not surround both.

Zman
2013-03-27, 11:42 AM
I have no need for frightful aspect. Jack had every opportunity to wait for it to wear off before beginning the fight.

Also, I though attacking something, forcing saves, etc is the definition of interaction with an illusion.

kinem
2013-03-27, 12:14 PM
Area attacks don't count as interacting with an illusion. I would say that ranged attacks don't either, since any visible evidence would be the same for all viewers. Melee attacks would, since then you could feel something off (the target being too soft).

Also, if an attack damages the caster, the illusion changes too; if an attack hits the illusion, neither takes damage. In that way you can guess which is real. In this case, there is no way to tell yet since both were in range of the fire.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-27, 12:17 PM
am i alright to be scared of the power that is emanating off the three other characters? avaralynn would be hands down, the powerhouse as far as we have seen, yulwei is speed and melee, and so far jack is cunning.

kinem
2013-03-27, 12:21 PM
Brevan's the healer; that counts for something :smallsmile:

Zman
2013-03-27, 12:25 PM
Area attacks don't count as interacting with an illusion. I would say that ranged attacks don't either, since any visible evidence would be the same for all viewers. Melee attacks would, since then you could feel something off (the target being too soft).

Also, if an attack damages the caster, the illusion changes too; if an attack hits the illusion, neither takes damage. In that way you can guess which is real. In this case, there is no way to tell yet since both were in range of the fire.

Fair enough.



Oh, and how does Jack still have 90HP?!

Two Reflex Successes is
1/2 of 99 is 49
1/2 of 98 is 49

Should be 98 Fire Damage unless I'm missing Resist Fire:37, lol.

Edit:And how can a level 18 Character dispel at CL19?

Edit2: Left With Shield and Improved Initiative.

Zman
2013-03-27, 12:46 PM
am i alright to be scared of the power that is emanating off the three other characters? avaralynn would be hands down, the powerhouse as far as we have seen, yulwei is speed and melee, and so far jack is cunning.

It's high level DnD, aka Rocket Tag. This is the first high level play I've gotten to do much with, I was worried Avaralynn would be too weak because I avoided 9th level casting, pounce, and some of the really nasty spells. I guess I was wrong.

Toliudar
2013-03-27, 03:21 PM
Oh, and how does Jack still have 90HP?!

Two Reflex Successes is
1/2 of 99 is 49
1/2 of 98 is 49

Should be 98 Fire Damage unless I'm missing Resist Fire:37, lol.

Edit:And how can a level 18 Character dispel at CL19?

Edit2: Left With Shield and Improved Initiative.

His unadjusted hit points of 114 is without his magic items. With his con-boosting item, his starting HP was 168. He has fire resistance 10, so took 78 points of damage total. Hence, 90 hit points.

Jack has an orange ioun stone, which boosts his caster level to 19.

Toliudar
2013-03-27, 03:29 PM
To clarify: I'm assuming that Avaaralynn's Firebrands are filling the entire area of the arena, starting at ground level and working their way up? Is that correct? I'm assuming that that's what 'burst the entire arena into flames' means. Or did you mean to build a hemisphere of fire around Jack's apparrent location?

Also, reflex saves as needed: [roll0] [roll1]

Toliudar
2013-03-27, 04:06 PM
I didn't realize we'd get multiple rounds to buff.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, I can still see the "real" Jack. Project Image didn't hide the original?

And Project Image was his contingency right, for crossing his eyes? Or did he just take two rounds of actions before we even rolled initiative.

To clarify, on all points: Jack was asking for one round to buff, to balance out Avaaralynn's Frightful Aspect. I'm okay with going without.

Project Image does indeed make the original caster invisible. He did not use his contingency, but actually cast the spell.

Zman
2013-03-27, 05:02 PM
Can't be unmodifed HP, that would require averaging 6.33 HP per level before Modification and a d12 Hit Dice, I believe you've significantly miscalculated your HP.

Neither the 3.5 Project Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/projectImage.htm) nor the Pathfinder Project Image (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/project-image) turn the caster invisible. Which version are you attempting to use?

Since Avaralynn can see both the Projected Image and the real Jack she is hitting them both, twice.

Immediate action was on his turn, which upon looking, you are correct would not be able to do both. Avaralynn will simply fall the 10' to the ground, here is her Tumble to avoid any Damage[roll0] for [roll1] Damage. Will edit IC post to reflect the fall.

Toliudar
2013-03-27, 05:04 PM
My sincere apologies. I've been conflating Project image and Mislead in my mind. I'll restate my next IC action, of course.

HP...hmm. Let's check:

6 (level 1 bard) + 8 (two more levels of bard) + 15 (three levels of warlock) + 3 (mindbender) +4 (sublime chord)+ 30 (ten levels of eldritch theurge) +54 from his permanent constitution. You're right! I was shortchanging myself by six HP. Thanks!

Zman
2013-03-27, 05:10 PM
My sincere apologies. I've been conflating Project image and Mislead in my mind. I'll restate my next IC action, of course.

That explains a lot of confusion, I wasn't very familiar with either and had to look them up thinking I had missed something.

Mislead is also very useful. Casting Project Image with Contingent Mislead would be very Powerful and useful.

Zman
2013-03-27, 06:58 PM
How big is the Arena? Height/Width, etc. Curious how big it is and how much of it I can fill with fire.

And looks like that 30 will do it!

kinem
2013-03-27, 07:44 PM
The Arena is 40' x 40' x 40', surrounded by the transparent-green-tinged walls of force.

Zman
2013-03-27, 08:40 PM
The Arena is 40' x 40' x 40', surrounded by the transparent-green-tinged walls of force.

Hmm, Firebrand can reach just over 1/4th the area. Guess I'll guess and you can run the odds for the next rounds. Short of random dispel attempts I don't have any other options.

Medic!
2013-03-27, 11:13 PM
Watching this fight makes me very glad I invested in a Ring of True Seeing :smallamused:

stanleyindraven
2013-03-28, 08:52 AM
lol, good item for a game like this with an illusion caster

kinem
2013-03-28, 12:36 PM
So ... Jack has had Elemental Body (fire) on him the whole time, and thus is immune to fire? (The SpC version; the PF version is completely different - really a specialized polymorph self - so I can accept the 3.5 version as a separate spell.)

I should have paid closer attention to the details here. Toliudar said that Jack took damage from the fire before.

There is also the fact that the arena stops the fire damage but substitutes nonlethal damage to consider.

Maybe the fair thing at this point would be to say that the first 10 points from a fire attack in the arena are nonlethal heat damage, which Jack is immune to, and the rest is regular nonlethal damage. But I welcome comments before deciding for sure.

Toliudar
2013-03-28, 12:49 PM
Jack had started the combat with Elemental Body (air) running. He's just cast the spell again, selecting the fire option instead.

There is no rule I know of that says that elemental damage has to be lethal. Just as the arena magically turns sword thrusts into nonlethal sword thrusts, couldn't it turn lethal fireballs into nonlethal fireballs?

I think that the idea of having an arena where people are guaranteed not to die at the end is a very good idea, but if you start to look too closely at the details of how that's accomplished, some weirdnesses creep in. For example, undead are immune to nonlethal damage. In theory, any undead creature in the ring would be immune to any damage or effect. In practice, what's the fun in that? I'd suggest that running a combat as if all the normal rules apply, and then handwaving at the end and saying 'but really, you just got buffetted around a lot. Go have a shower' seems to be exactly what you're going for.

kinem
2013-03-28, 01:15 PM
OK, I missed where Jack cast EB (fire) but I see it now. In that case, the fire damage is all converted to nonlethal heat damage, which Jack is now immune to.

An undead creature in the Arena would perhaps be immune to most damage. Or perhaps the shields only protect living flesh; they do not spring up to protect equipment, after all. Until you try putting an undead into the Arena, you have no way to know.

You do know that the Arena is not perfect. As we saw, it does not convert falling damage into nonlethal damage.

Zman
2013-03-28, 04:36 PM
So, it was Elemental Body Air that allowed him to Fly, I would point out that I don't think he was ever described as being made of air. Think it would have been noticed!

Toliudar
2013-03-28, 05:29 PM
That's true, just as Avaaralynn wasn't described as having any of the spell effects that were persisted on her. Pot and kettle.

kinem
2013-03-29, 10:34 AM
Save it for the arena, guys.

Medic!
2013-03-29, 10:36 AM
Hey hey hey, we'll get to the forrest soon enough...first we have to deal with these trees :smallamused:

Toliudar
2013-03-29, 10:48 AM
Quite right. I apologize.

stanleyindraven
2013-03-29, 09:03 PM
Thats okay, we are in the infancy of this and things will be forgotten until we have a chance to fully realize ourselves. Plus this combat scenario is just for ****s and giggles at this point. I think the party has proven they have what it takes to do the future task at hand.

Zman
2013-04-04, 09:00 PM
I apologize for not posting lately. I'm been in the middle of opening a business and all that entails while extricating myself from my current employer with all that entails as well. Needless to say I spend alot of time on the phone, and doing paperwork not to mention still working my 40+ and being engaged.

I will hopefully be able to post again soon, but I will not be up for a fast posting schedule.

stanleyindraven
2013-04-05, 06:18 AM
its all good, we are a patient few.

kinem
2013-04-05, 08:41 AM
I understand, Zman. Those things are certainly much more important. Congrats on your engagement.

That said, your character would certainly be at the center of the action for this game. If you're not able to continue in the game, it's best to know soon.

Toliudar
2013-04-05, 09:08 AM
All the best with the new business! That's huge.

stanleyindraven
2013-04-05, 09:39 AM
Oh, I forgot to ask, what kind of business, if you don't mind?

Zman
2013-04-05, 11:13 AM
I'm currently a Personal Trainer and PT Manager and am opening a small fitness center.

I should be able to resum more normal posting in a bit, but doubt it'll be much for a bit. I wouldn't mind you NPCing her for this Arena stage and I'll be able to chime in once I can resume normal posting.

kinem
2013-04-08, 09:03 AM
Cool, Z. I hope your business goes well.

I'd rather not NPC her. The arena fight might be over soon anyway. When do you think you will resume posting?

Toliudar
2013-04-08, 10:03 AM
As an alternative, I'd be completely fine with Kinem posting a cinematic "and then Avaaralynn won the fight" post, so that we're not holding the rest of you up.

stanleyindraven
2013-04-08, 10:27 AM
It doesn't matter either way, we have waited a long time to get this far, a little while longer couldn't hurt, so whatever Kinem wants to do.

kinem
2013-04-08, 10:35 AM
We will wait. I don't want to NPC the reaction to events after the fight.

Medic!
2013-04-08, 09:31 PM
Yeah I don't mind waiting at all. That's the nice things about games vs. real life...games have a pause button :smallbiggrin:

Toliudar
2013-05-27, 03:36 PM
So...It seems likely that Zman is not coming back.

What if we just make Brevan the winner in the arena, and move on into the story itself? Is everyone else still up for this?

kinem
2013-05-27, 09:59 PM
I just emailed Zman. If I don't hear from him soon I'll take your suggestion, Toliudar.

Medic & Stanley, are you still up for it?

stanleyindraven
2013-05-28, 08:13 PM
Still good.

kinem
2013-05-31, 08:54 AM
I emailed Medic and have not yet heard from either Zman or Medic.

If both are gone, I'm going to call off the game. If at least one returns by the end of next week, we'll continue.

Toliudar
2013-05-31, 09:46 AM
That sounds completely reasonable. Thanks, kinem!

Medic!
2013-06-03, 02:10 PM
Sorry for the long check-in time, got side-tracked meeting an adorable 5 yr old for the first time. Game-on, gentlemen!

stanleyindraven
2013-06-03, 04:58 PM
k ready to go

Toliudar
2013-06-03, 05:23 PM
Terrific! Can't wait.

kinem
2013-06-07, 01:57 PM
Stanley, just wanted to make sure you know that we've started :)

stanleyindraven
2013-07-17, 02:24 PM
sorry for my absence, I had thought I posted some time ago but appear to be wrong.

Medic!
2013-07-20, 02:42 PM
I don't know if it counts or not, but Yulwei has True Seeing.

Medic!
2013-07-20, 06:47 PM
Double postin' like a naughty man, you ready for inits boss?

If so...

[roll0]

Toliudar
2013-07-20, 11:23 PM
Good idea! Initiative, using Nerveskitter: [roll0]

Medic!
2013-07-24, 04:12 PM
Kill it! Kill it with [Fire]!

stanleyindraven
2013-07-25, 06:51 AM
did it provoke AoO when it moved?

kinem
2013-07-25, 09:04 AM
No (5' step).

Toliudar
2013-07-25, 10:11 AM
Ah - so it's medium sized, then. Got it!

kinem
2013-07-25, 12:33 PM
Right, with 10' reach.

Yulwei and Swin went back into the meeting room, not to the street. Did Brevan go there or to the street?

stanleyindraven
2013-07-25, 12:40 PM
meeting room, sorry i got that wrong.

Medic!
2013-07-28, 02:53 PM
Thanks for trying to get me back into action either way! Looks like I'll be cheerleading for this one, lol

stanleyindraven
2013-07-29, 07:18 AM
as an ethereal, i can go through the floor right?

kinem
2013-07-29, 01:28 PM
Yup ... (darn 10 character minimum post length)

stanleyindraven
2013-07-29, 01:33 PM
yeah, i know, i did search for the specifics of the ethereal state and went ahead and made my move, though if i am in a basement with any visibility then I will try a spell.

kinem
2013-08-01, 05:33 PM
The party should decide what to do for the day, if anything. It might be easier to discuss it OOC.

Swin will want the PCs to stay in town in case the monster returns. Assuming it does not return today, will you stay at the inn overnight?

stanleyindraven
2013-08-01, 05:39 PM
Brevan has no plans to leave the inn, unless there is a task at hand to make them leave. He will help to regain the community's confidence as well.

Toliudar
2013-08-01, 11:56 PM
Jack desperately needs sleep, or else he'll be very little good to anyone. He's going to try Greater Teleporting over to a tavern rooftop in Silverymoon, and getting some advice about whether the Eye itself is cursed. He'll find as safe a place as he can there to sleep while someone's looking at the Eye. Once he's regained spells and (if possible) gotten some sense of whether the Eye is or is not the focal point of the nightmares, he'll come back to Swin's - ideally by nightfall.

Yulwei and Brevan are of course welcome to join him - Jack would be thrilled to have someone who he trusts to watch his back - but he's going, one way or another.

Medic!
2013-08-02, 02:48 AM
Yulwei'd go along with Jack. He only needs 4 hours sleep anyway so back-watching should be right up his scaredy-pants alley

stanleyindraven
2013-08-02, 06:28 AM
Well, if he offers, Brevan would also join.

kinem
2013-08-03, 11:21 AM
Sounds like a plan :smallsmile: You'll have to fill in the details IC. Do you want to go to the Bright Blade Brandished (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Bright_Blade_Brandished)? (Just going by the wiki here.)

Who do you want to ask for advice from?

Toliudar
2013-08-04, 10:55 PM
Right! *Quickly goes to google for details in Silverymoon.* I'll get an IC post up today or tomorrow. I'll take some liberties with NPC's - correct me if I overstep.

kinem
2013-08-05, 09:55 AM
That's fine. Are the NPCs you used from established sources or your own creations?

What will the other PCs do; will you all try to sleep?

Toliudar
2013-08-06, 01:10 AM
The Inn and the Vault are canon. The characters are my own invention.

kinem
2013-08-12, 09:32 AM
What would you prefer regarding PC wealth:

1. Just continue with the main story. If you beat the main bad guys you get to take their stuff, though the game might be over by then. This is what I generally do for an online game.

2. Play through a side adventure and get some loot.

3. Handwave a side adventure, not actually playing through it but just adding it in as story, which you get loot from. Might be better for online games.

4. Other? (I'm open to suggestions.)

Toliudar
2013-08-12, 09:37 AM
Given the slow pace of PBP, I'd strongly recommend against a side quest, unless you think it's either essential or going to be more fun than the main mission. At our level, the need for pocket cash really shouldn't come up that often.

stanleyindraven
2013-08-12, 09:38 AM
i like option 2, playing through a side quest may allow us to hone our party abilities and give alternate solutions to the main story quest.

Medic!
2013-09-09, 08:46 PM
Sorry, didn't realize we were waiting on me, I was waiting for someone with a stronger IC connection to events to do exposition. :smallcool:

kinem
2013-09-09, 10:23 PM
Tragedy of the commons :smallamused::smallannoyed:

Jack is invisible. I hope Stanley posts soon but Yulwei is the one who answered the door, so, I would expect him to talk.

Toliudar
2013-09-09, 11:46 PM
Sorry. I thought I'd posted. I'll put something, but both because I feel like Jack is hogging the spotlight and because, as noted, he's currently invisible, I'd be delighted for someone else to step up.

Medic!
2013-09-10, 06:20 AM
Personally, I'm very ok with Jack being our main protagonist, it seems to fit the story and setting well so far. You'll have to forgive Yulwei ignoring things like people being invisible thanks to his True Seeing.

kinem
2013-09-11, 03:35 PM
I'd rather have a more balanced mix, though Toliudar has stepped up to the occasion.

I PM'd Stanley on Monday. I hope he's OK.

kinem
2013-09-12, 07:15 PM
Stanley PM'd that he's been busy and hopes to 'regulate' soon :smallsmile:

kinem
2013-09-25, 02:23 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-9ZyIkm4m0zs/TWt9Dwr2CWI/AAAAAAAAAYM/yASQ9pf-ZWY/s1600/tumble2.jpg

kinem
2013-10-04, 01:21 PM
So ... are you others waiting for Stanley to show up, or just holding off for some reason?

If there is little interest in continuing it may be time to end the game.

Toliudar
2013-10-04, 02:35 PM
I was indeed waiting for Stanley. I'll go check out the IC thread. Sorry to keep you waiting.

kinem
2013-11-19, 11:36 AM
I hope things are going better for you Toliudar. I thought this game was dead.

So who else is still up for it?

Jack and the others indeed got no weird vibes from Jabril but attempting to leave will force him to show his hand ...

Toliudar
2013-11-19, 02:07 PM
Forcing the hand it is then!

October's stuff was mostly good, just much. The bad stuff is still bad, but we're taking bite sized chunks. Thanks for the kind words.

kinem
2013-11-20, 11:01 PM
It looks like Medic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=62428) is "doing the RL thing" and won't be playing here for a while. More power to him.

Toliudar, this wasn't intended as a solo game, but that's pretty much the only option at this point if you want to continue it. I'm not keen on running a bunch of ex-PCs though. If we get past the current encounter, I guess you should go solo. Then I'd have to figure out the power level problems.

Toliudar
2013-11-21, 12:34 AM
I'd be honoured to either do this as a solo campaign, or to help in recruiting a few new players if desired (perhaps it could be fluffed as Jack drawing in some old friends to help him?). If you want to end this now, I'd of course understand, but I'm up for continuing if you are.

kinem
2013-11-22, 11:00 PM
We'll try it as a solo game. IC is updated.

Toliudar
2013-11-23, 12:40 AM
Thanks so much for carrying on, Kinem.

kinem
2014-02-02, 06:54 PM
You OK, T?

Toliudar
2014-02-02, 11:41 PM
Sorry, Kinem! I was initially stymied by how to deal with the magic-and-diplomacy-proof guy, if it is indeed Entreri. I'm gonna get a post up tomorrow!

kinem
2014-02-10, 10:28 AM
There's an old saying: 'No plan survives contact with the enemy'.

Toliudar
2014-02-10, 03:38 PM
True day. I just hope that that applied to box plans as well (:

Medic!
2014-02-18, 01:12 PM
Glad to see you guys are still truckin' along...sorry about my vanishing act, hope it didn't cause too much inconvinience! Reading through what you've done since I just had to stop in and say Kinem: A+ DM sir, A++

Toliudar
2014-02-18, 11:59 PM
Amen to those sentiments, Medic. Great storytelling and a beautiful maintenance of suspense and focus, Kinem. Bravo.

Good to see you, Medic! If you're ever ready to step back in, I'd be delighted to have you back if Kinem is up for it.

kinem
2014-02-19, 07:26 PM
Thanks guys, that means a lot.

Medic, if you can commit to posting regularly, you'd be welcome to return.

Medic!
2014-02-19, 07:55 PM
I'm not on much a regular schedule now, so I should be able to swing fairly frequent posting, if you want me to sneak back in and it'll help to lighten your load a bit.

kinem
2014-02-19, 10:15 PM
Go ahead then.

Medic!
2014-02-20, 10:55 AM
Looking back through things I'm not seeing any changes I'll need to make on his character sheet...I'm assuming the talk of visiting Ishri was to back-door Yulwei out to give you one less thing to worry about as far as controlling another PC? or do you want us to keep pushing that way?

kinem
2014-02-20, 11:41 AM
No, it was just what I thought Yulwei would do. Jack can't take on these bad guys alone.

Toliudar
2014-02-20, 12:57 PM
Amen! I'm basically dependent on spells and SLA's, so magic-immune opponents are much harder for me to deal with. Plus, having Yulwei around lets you step back in whenever you're able.

Medic!
2014-02-20, 12:59 PM
Yeah that Entreri entry...well that's just scary, lol...I wonder how he feels running into a guy dual-wielding scimitars? XD

kinem
2014-03-14, 11:04 AM
I will be traveling and AFK until Tues eve.

Toliudar
2014-03-14, 12:14 PM
Safe and happy journeys, Kinem! 'See' you next week.

Medic!
2014-03-14, 12:59 PM
Keep safe boss, hope your trip goes well and is for a happy occassion

kinem
2014-03-20, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys. The trip was for a professional conference.

BTW I will be away March 29-April 6; this will basically be for a vacation in London.

kinem
2014-04-08, 10:29 AM
At this point should we fast forward to 'sundown'?

Toliudar
2014-04-08, 01:22 PM
I can't think of anything else I can usefully do. We could nap for a bit in the afternoon and then take to the air again around sunset. Sound good, Medic?

kinem
2014-04-08, 01:50 PM
When you say nap do you mean just rest, or sleep?

Medic!
2014-04-08, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a plan to me...Yulwei can keep watch, he'd enjoy that kinda thing anyway

Toliudar
2014-04-09, 06:27 PM
When you say nap do you mean just rest, or sleep?

I didn't mean the 8+1 hours to recover spells or anything, just resting, chatting, playing card games...

kinem
2014-04-17, 10:07 PM
I'll be away until Monday.

You will soon discover that trying to teleport back home doesn't work, so you can incorporate that into your post, T.

I can assure you OOC that you guys won't be stuck in the valley all that long, and will find out where 'the beast' is soon enough :mitd:

Medic!
2014-04-26, 09:54 PM
Do you want inits before we act?

Also #uhoh

EDIT: Also with his True Seeing does Yulwei suspect this to be real?

kinem
2014-04-27, 09:13 AM
As DM I generally determine init to save time, so no need to roll.

Yulwei detects no illusions. Of course, it might be some kind of dream ...

Medic!
2014-04-30, 02:34 PM
That's a lot of damn rolls. Remind me next time to make life a little easier and group all the strike-through-able stuff together lol

Also if that thing comes through Yulwei's attack unharmed I'm going to start hucking water balloons at grade school kids while it's still cold out so they can share my misery :smallbiggrin:

Toliudar
2014-04-30, 05:14 PM
Holy crap! I'm suddenly SO glad that I play caster/talkers. That's a buttload of rolls.

kinem
2014-04-30, 11:07 PM
I will allow rushed diplomacy in certain situations on a case by case basis.

Toliudar, in the case of the beast, I would have to say that you did do diplomacy wrong. It's "Let's make a deal". You didn't offer it a deal. All you did was say "please", which is probably not even a concept it understands. Perhaps you implied that you would let it eat you, but if you intended that, that would just insult its intelligence; such an obviously fake offer would not count. You might have had a chance if you said you would lead it to a town (where it could feast on the commoners) in exchange for the talk.

Diplomacy would tend to work better with people who aren't about to try to kill you :)

Toliudar
2014-05-01, 01:48 AM
Fair enough re the not about to kill me part.

And I can certainly make the quid pro quo of future diplomatic efforts more explicit. That helps - thanks!

Medic!
2014-05-01, 01:41 PM
I had a scout/dervish I made for another game that was built around using somewhere upwards of 40 Fleshgrinding, Masterslaying, wounding daggers. Only had the money for 15 of 'em when the game started but she tore apart several red wizard circles at once, I was pretty stoked! Hit with a dagger, let it go, turn bad-guys into pincushions of automatic damage, and if they grab the dagger it crits them and starts all over again. It's fun playing a melee that isn't just "I attack again!"

kinem
2014-05-12, 08:30 PM
:smallbiggrin:

So, let's move on. Teleport to the Inn? Then what?

Toliudar
2014-05-13, 01:12 AM
Right! Good idea.

Back in Silverymoon, Jack wants to consult about the 'laws' of the dream realm, to better understand where they might have gone, how they got back, and what the beast means.

He'd also like to get drawings done of Valentine and the mystery guy from Calimport. Jack's hoping that someone in a major magical institution would know of a spellcaster that powerful.

Oh, and it would be useful to find out if there's another Eye that is seen to be somehow connected to the Eye of the Moon.

kinem
2014-05-13, 01:55 PM
I admit I have no idea why you call Artemis Entreri "Valentine" :)

Toliudar
2014-05-13, 05:59 PM
Huh. That'd be the meds. Wow. I have no idea where that came from. Entreri is indeed who I meant.

How much detail of this do you want IC? This could be a dozen little scenes, or a couple Diplomacy checks with people who are less inclined to kill Jack. We can handle it however you want, but I'd rather not sort of keep Yulwei idling while Jack talks to a bunch of people.

kinem
2014-05-14, 02:41 PM
I'll handwave most of it, unless you guys want to play out something in particular. Anything in particular I should include? Besides for selling the tusks, & getting the portraits made, I assume you'll basically visit the same places & people as last time. Anything/one else?

Toliudar
2014-05-15, 09:27 AM
Aside from the fact that Jack will be more catholic in his approach to the mage institutions this time (that is to say, he'll ask around more broadly about the Man From Calimport), that works beautifully for me.

Medic!
2014-05-15, 04:25 PM
How much do we know about entreri? Is he a famous guy, unknown, etc etc...I'm ok with the handwave if he's fairly anonymous yet, otherwise Yulwei might have a scheme to hatch with Brevan assuming the party's ok with poking the bear to try to lure entreri out again

Toliudar
2014-05-15, 05:24 PM
Go for it!

kinem
2014-05-15, 08:01 PM
Oh, he's infamous. Everyone in Calimsham has heard tall tales about the world's greatest assassin. Very few people know any actual facts about him, though. The one thing that is fairly easy to find out is that he was a leader of various criminal organizations in Calimport, but that was years ago; he keeps a much lower profile now. Some say he's dead, though you know from personal experience that he's not :)

Scheme away :)

Medic!
2014-05-15, 08:50 PM
In that case....while Master Jack is doin' his thang, Yulwei will entice Brevan to begin circulating some rumors to the merchants we attempt to sell those tusks to about a beast so mighty that Artemis Entreri himself hunted it but fled from its fury...yet when attacked unawares by one it fell before the superior blades of Yulwei Ul'Dosht :smallamused:

Toliudar
2014-05-16, 09:52 AM
Yup. That'll stir the pot nicely.

Medic!
2014-05-16, 10:12 AM
IDK why I had it in my head that Brevan was a bard...maybe some crossed wires with Swin...I love bards, they are to reverse-gather-information what facebook is to gossip-mongering

kinem
2014-05-16, 10:33 AM
You could try to hook back up with Swin.

I won't be able to post the IC until Monday eve. (Well, maybe Sunday eve.)

Toliudar
2014-05-16, 10:39 AM
Well, Jack has some bard in him too. I'm sure he wouldn't mind spreading word of Yulwei's prowess. Not to mention the fact that he can do it in the guise of four different people...

Medic!
2014-05-16, 11:20 AM
Jack of All Trades....love it! Operation Slander the Assassin is a go!

kinem
2014-05-19, 06:36 PM
IC post coming soon. I'll let you two work out how you want to try to draw out Entreri, so that's not included.

Medic!
2014-05-19, 11:50 PM
Toliudar you ok with selling both tusks for 10k in gems? I'm not picky either way...the thought that they could be used to make something magical kinda piques my interest though

Toliudar
2014-05-21, 01:03 AM
Jack would see the tusks as Yulwei's kill and his property. Totally your call.

kinem
2014-06-07, 11:42 AM
So, unless you guys come up with something brilliant, it seems to me that we might as well fast forward a bit.

+1 day?

Let me know what you'd do in the meantime.

Medic!
2014-06-07, 12:44 PM
Yulwei wouldn't really have anything needing done in the meantime. Works for me!

Toliudar
2014-06-07, 03:21 PM
Ooh, lots to do in that day, but I'm good to fast forward after that.

We need to find a safe place to try to meet Entreri. Ideally, an open spot, not a lot of bystanders or places to hide. An open park or field, a deserted bridge, a small island in the river, the top of a lighthouse...many options.

A few gather information checks to see if Entreri is known to locals beyond the realm of 'oh yeah, that famous guy'. Ideally, trying to get a description of what he actually looks like, if he has favourite hangouts, etc. +13 modifier.

A visit to the local Watch to inform them that the cloaked man is a powerful spellcaster who attacked and nearly killed us a few days ago. Presenting us as having mistaken him for a friend, at which point he became angry and started casting spells and threatening to kill us. Detailed description of the version of his appearance that we saw.

And check in with the local wizardy group to see what rules, if any, there are about membership and spellcasting in the city. Jack will pay dues if need be.

Similarly, Jack wouldn't object to a quick visit to the church of Mystra. They'd be one of the groups likely to know about any appearances of nightmarish creatures, or other new explosions of magical energy, within the city.

kinem
2014-06-10, 10:16 AM
I'll be out of town Thurs to Mon, 6/12-16, visiting FL. I may have some internet access, and may post a little, but more substantive posts will be next week.

kinem
2014-06-28, 02:47 PM
So how's it going?

Toliudar
2014-06-29, 03:36 PM
Two full time jobs for the next five weeks, plus a couple of side projects. We live in interesting times.

How about this for prep:

Sequester on the Eye
Seeming, to make Brevan look like Yulwei and Yulwei look like Jack.
Jack uses humanoid shape to approximate the look of Brevan.
Jack gets a boost up onto the roof of the shack, from which he uses his Walk Unseen invocation.
Cast Glibness


...That's about all I've got, plus anything that Brevan and Yulwei might be able to do.

Medic!
2014-06-29, 07:16 PM
Yeah I got nothin'.....the only "buff" Yulwei has is drawing his scimitars, lol

kinem
2014-07-16, 09:19 AM
How's it going?

We are coming close to the endgame. Hopefully we can finish this properly.

Any IC ideas, or should I just move things along?

Toliudar
2014-07-16, 10:16 AM
Sorry for the lag. I liked the idea of trying to trap the cloaked man, but sort of blanked on how. Hmm. I'll toss in an IC post, and see how things go.

kinem
2014-08-02, 09:36 AM
Medic, are you on board?

So ... should we just wrap this thing up with a final battle?

Toliudar
2014-08-07, 03:07 AM
Sorry for the delay in responding - it's been a couple of hundred-hour work weeks.

Normally, I pride myself on always having new angles to work, but I feel like I'm starting to draw blanks. We have no leads on the cloaked man, and could wait a long time to reconnect with Entreri. I think you've built up a fun and multi-layered story, Kinem, but I think you're right - might be best to dive into a big fight scene of some kind to wrap up.

kinem
2014-08-11, 12:51 PM
I hope things are going OK at work now.

Thanks.

I PM'd Medic; it looks like he hasn't logged on in about 1.5 weeks.

Either way, I plan to get the final combat started sometime this week.

kinem
2014-08-17, 07:28 PM
Alternatively, as we seem to have lost Medic, perhaps we should hand-wave the big fight and just finish out the story. It's up to you, Toliudar.

kinem
2014-08-30, 05:13 PM
Toliudar had to withdraw as he's busy with family business. Thanks to all players for a great game.

I have posted a wrap-up of the story in the IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?266207-Night-Terrors-IC/page14), and then the 'big reveal' in a spoiler.