PDA

View Full Version : [PF]-Barbarian Advice

Karoht
2013-01-01, 04:07 PM
So here's what I'm building folks. I'm building a Monster Truck. That walks like a lady.
The idea is that the Barbarian will be a Lizardfolk (fluffed to look like a saltwater crocodile. Her name will be Sal'tiin. (Saltine)
In her backpack will be a legless Kobold named Uurk. Urk will probably be a Bard.

The idea is that Sal'tiin will be running around and using Improved/Greater Overrun, along with Pushing Assault and Come and Get Me to keep the badguys away, or knocked on the ground. Prone is nice enough, AoO's are even better. Sal'tiin will be rocking a reach weapon of some kind, if it matters.
Sal'tiin may have support in the form of a Neutral Cleric who wants to specialize in Necromancy, particularly army building. So Sal'Tiin and Uurk are the tip of the sword, breaking the line and causing disarray, while the undead follow and take AoO's and hit prone targets where possible.

Under the spoiler is a general idea of Sal'tiin's Feats and Rage Powers.

Feats
1-Power Attack
3-Improved Overrun
5-Charge Through
7-Pushing Assault-Drop Power Attack Damage to automatically move enemy back 5ft.
9-Combat Reflexes
11-Greater Overrun-Triggers Attacks of Opportunity
13-Extra Rage Power-Beast Totem
15-
17-
19-

Rage Powers
2-Lesser Beast Totem
4-Overbearing Advance-STR Damage per Overrun Target
6-Overbearing Onslaught-Overrun many targets per round.
8- Internal Fortitude-Rage Cycling with an Ioun Stone
10-Flesh Wound-Roll for Half Damage as Non-Lethal, 1 attack per round
12-Come and Get Me
14-Beast Totem Greater-Pounce Time
16-
18-
20-

Mostly just looking for stuff to fill out the last few feats and rage powers.
Before someone suggests a mount, the person playing Sal'tiin dislikes playing mounted characters.
Here's some stuff that was being considered.

List of Maybe Powers/Feats
-Raging Brutality (Add Con to Damage, Swift Action, once per rage)
-Strength Surge (Add Barbarian Level to a single Strength check, CMB/CMD, once per rage)
-Auspicious Mark (Add 1D6 to the result of a die roll, once per rage)
-Clear Mind (Reroll failed will save once per rage)
-Good for What Ails You (Bonus saves for drinking booze)
-Superstitious (Bonus to saves while raging)
-Powerful Blow  Crippling Blow (STR/DEX damage on one attack, once per rage)
-Knockdown/Knockback (And therefore Improved Bullrush and Improved Trip)
-Intimidating Prowess  Dreadful Carnage  Intimidating Glare/Terrifying Howl (Demoralizing/Fear fishing)
-Dragon Totem or World Serpent Totem

And there's been no consideration for Archetypes yet. Nothing has really jumped out yet.

Thoughts? Advice? Will books be flung at my head?

TopCheese
2013-01-01, 04:17 PM
I noticed a lack of Step Up. I can't tell you how amazing of a feat step up will be, especially if you want to help a rogue sneak attack (or just flank for more to hit bonuses).

Oh and look into Reckless Abandon, it makes power attack worth even more.

Karoht
2013-01-01, 04:36 PM
With all the Overrunnng/Charging going on, is she all that likely to remain in one place long enough for the Rogue to keep up?
There will likely be a Ninja/Rogue in the group, so this is a good consideration. Step Up/And Strike will be given consideration.

As for Archetypes, it's looking like Invulnerable Rager or Scarred Rager. Scarred if she for sure wants to go with the intimidation route, but I would say the safe bet right now is Invulnerable Rager.
Which just makes Reckless Abandon that little bit better. Her AC is likely to be floored anyway, the DR to make up for it is a wise call.

TopCheese
2013-01-01, 04:54 PM
With all the Overrunnng/Charging going on, is she all that likely to remain in one place long enough for the Rogue to keep up?
There will likely be a Ninja/Rogue in the group, so this is a good consideration. Step Up/And Strike will be given consideration.

As for Archetypes, it's looking like Invulnerable Rager or Scarred Rager. Scarred if she for sure wants to go with the intimidation route, but I would say the safe bet right now is Invulnerable Rager.
Which just makes Reckless Abandon that little bit better. Her AC is likely to be floored anyway, the DR to make up for it is a wise call.

The DM will be able to stop the main tactic so having a backup tactic will be fantastic when needed. Plus sometime you may want to play to the party's strength and not just your own.... Also with step up a creature with a reach weapon that can't attack an adjacent square will never be able to hit you unless they drop their main weapon.

Karoht
2013-01-01, 05:01 PM
Excellent tactical advice.
And the ability to have that emergency 'get over there and push that guy away from your party member' will be valuable.

TopCheese
2013-01-01, 05:31 PM
Excellent tactical advice.
And the ability to have that emergency 'get over there and push that guy away from your party member' will be valuable.

Do remember that DR doesn't apply to magical damage of any kind only physical damage...So get some fortification since you will lose uncanny dodge with invulnerable rager.

Also find a way to get immunity to fatigue... Then Rage cycle for maximum fun.

doko239
2013-01-02, 01:01 AM
For my recommendation, Spell Sunder is an INCREDIBLE Rage Power. "Mage Armor? HULK SMASH! Stoneskin? HULK SMASH!! Wall of Force? HULK SMASH!!!"

Arbane
2013-01-02, 02:50 AM
For my recommendation, Spell Sunder is an INCREDIBLE Rage Power. "Mage Armor? HULK SMASH! Stoneskin? HULK SMASH!! Wall of Force? HULK SMASH!!!"

It is, but you need Superstitious to get it, and a lot of players hate having to save against friendly spells as well as hostile ones.

Karoht
2013-01-02, 08:18 AM
Do remember that DR doesn't apply to magical damage of any kind only physical damage...So get some fortification since you will lose uncanny dodge with invulnerable rager.

Also find a way to get immunity to fatigue... Then Rage cycle for maximum fun.
Internal Fortitude-Rage Cycling with an Ioun Stone. IF makes you immune to Nauseated/Sickened. The Ioun Stone converts Fatigued/Exhausted into Nauseated/Sickened. Problem solved by level 8. Rage cycling begins early.

It is, but you need Superstitious to get it, and a lot of players hate having to save against friendly spells as well as hostile ones.This. Tactically speaking, Superstitious shouldn't be an issue really, but the player isn't interested. I'll be right there with the Bard to deal with immediate threats/issues (some status ailments for example) and offensive dispelling. Sure, it isn't an optimal use of my actions in all cases, but it won't be needed in all cases either.

TopCheese
2013-01-02, 09:26 AM
Internal Fortitude-Rage Cycling with an Ioun Stone. IF makes you immune to Nauseated/Sickened. The Ioun Stone converts Fatigued/Exhausted into Nauseated/Sickened. Problem solved by level 8. Rage cycling begins early.

This. Tactically speaking, Superstitious shouldn't be an issue really, but the player isn't interested. I'll be right there with the Bard to deal with immediate threats/issues (some status ailments for example) and offensive dispelling. Sure, it isn't an optimal use of my actions in all cases, but it won't be needed in all cases either.

Have the bard take leadership, get a free cleric (positive channel) and for any healing you need done (as an emergancy) have the cleric channel. You only get a save if it is causing damage (such as to channel pos energy to hurt undead)... I think.

Oh and yeah I forgot about the Iuon stone trick. It is the flawed version that does that?

Raging vitality! Almost forgot about that feat! Look into it, it can be a life saver!