PDA

View Full Version : Charging mechanics..

animewatcha
2013-01-01, 06:03 PM
All charging builds and trip builds assume that you always have proper room 360 to fully make use of them. This brings a few questions to my mind..

1. Can you tumble as part of a charge.

2. Mob = C at center. Using the 8 direction of N, S, SE, etc... Player = P.

PXX
XCX
XXX

Can the player charge from northwest of the mob to the direction of Northeast of the mob. 'turn around in a way' and benefit from the effects of 'charging' like pounce, etc. to attack the mob at the center? I know that an attack of opportunity 'can' be provoked, but I am wondering if this is type of action is legal. I am not familiar with ToB and my group doesn't use it. So is it legal outside of ToB?

TuggyNE
2013-01-01, 06:38 PM

PXX
XCX
XXX

Can the player charge from northwest of the mob to the direction of Northeast of the mob. 'turn around in a way' and benefit from the effects of 'charging' like pounce, etc. to attack the mob at the center? I know that an attack of opportunity 'can' be provoked, but I am wondering if this is type of action is legal. I am not familiar with ToB and my group doesn't use it. So is it legal outside of ToB?

I don't think it is. You're not moving toward the enemy at all, never mind "directly", and even Twisted Charge/Psionic Charge wouldn't help you here.

Instead, short-range swift-action teleportation/movement (items, Psychic Warrior hustle + teleporting, Travel Devotion, whatever) is generally needed.

Flickerdart
2013-01-01, 06:41 PM
Remember that 3.5 has a third dimension, which often gives you a chance to charge in circumstances that normally wouldn't allow it (say, by jumping off the chandelier).

Andezzar
2013-01-01, 06:44 PM
1. Can you tumble as part of a charge. Yes. You would however take a -10 penalty if you moved more than half your speed during the charge.

PXX
XCX
XXX

Can the player charge from northwest of the mob to the direction of Northeast of the mob. 'turn around in a way' and benefit from the effects of 'charging' like pounce, etc. to attack the mob at the center? I know that an attack of opportunity 'can' be provoked, but I am wondering if this is type of action is legal. I am not familiar with ToB and my group doesn't use it. So is it legal outside of ToB?Salamander Charge, Bounding assault (and possibly other maneuvers/feats) will allow this.

Darrin
2013-01-01, 08:20 PM
Yes. You would however take a -10 penalty if you moved more than half your speed during the charge.

Yes, the Rules Compendium clarified this and says yes, you can tumble during a charge. Presumably, this would allow you to tumble through threatened squares and avoid AoOs. Unfortunately, it didn't say anything about tumbling through a creature's square (which would probably count as an obstacle).

The Rules Compendium does say you can jump over an obstacle, but unfortunately did not clarify what counts as an "obstacle": that is, can you jump over friendly/enemy creatures in your way. The Charge rules says you're not allowed to declare a charge if a creature is in the way, but then if you jump over the creature... does that count as an obstacle? Ask your DM to clarify.

Salamander Charge, Bounding assault (and possibly other maneuvers/feats) will allow this.

Swift-action movement, such as Sudden Leap, Quicksilver Motion, Shadow Blink, Travel Devotion, dimension hop power, Abrupt Jaunt ACF, Anklets of Translocation, Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker, or Quicksilver Boots can be used to move back or reposition yourself for a charge.