PDA

View Full Version : Setting sun/Shadow Hand with spiked chain?

Toy Killer
2013-01-01, 06:41 PM
Sudden bout of inspiration lead to an awesome encounter idea with a swordsage bearing a spiked chain. Admittedly, I've never used ToB in my games before, and the sudden peppering will hopefully add to the horror.

But to use the particular styles and their tactile feats, don't you need to be using an associated weapon? I've been trying to find something that lets me add or expand the associated weapons and have come out with zilch.

Artillery
2013-01-01, 07:31 PM
Sudden bout of inspiration lead to an awesome encounter idea with a swordsage bearing a spiked chain. Admittedly, I've never used ToB in my games before, and the sudden peppering will hopefully add to the horror.

But to use the particular styles and their tactile feats, don't you need to be using an associated weapon? I've been trying to find something that lets me add or expand the associated weapons and have come out with zilch.

If you get a weapon with the Aptitude enchantment you could treat it as one of those weapons.

In specific are you referring to the feat Shadow Blade, it adds you dex mod to dmg with Shadow hand weapons when in a Shadow hand stance?

You get weapon focus for all of a selected discipline's weapons, 1st level of swordsage. If you have the Aptitude enchantment on any weapon it would qualify as long as you are in a Shadow hand stance.

Andezzar
2013-01-01, 07:34 PM
To use maneuvers of a particular style, you do not need to use the preferred weapons.

I don't know what you mean by tactile (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tactile) feats, But the tactical feats do not require the use of preferred weapons either.

Darrin
2013-01-01, 08:03 PM
But the tactical feats do not require the use of preferred weapons either.

Some of them do. Some of the options in Reaping Talons and Shards of Granite require preferred weapons tied to that particular style. As Artillery mentions, Shadow Blade (which isn't a Tactical feat, but is a prereq for Gloom Razor) requires Shadow Hand weapons while in a Shadow Hand stance.

Adding the Adaptive enhancement to a weapon may or may not allow you treat it as a preferred discipline weapon for some of these feats... check with your DM.

There's at least one PrC that has class features that require Tiger Claw preferred weapons: Bloodclaw Master, but I think that's the only one. Outside of that and the few feats already mentioned, using a preferred discipline weapon is largely fluff. It's not required to use maneuvers from that discipline.

Toy Killer
2013-01-01, 08:27 PM
If you get a weapon with the Aptitude enchantment you could treat it as one of those weapons.

You get weapon focus for all of a selected discipline's weapons, 1st level of swordsage. If you have the Aptitude enchantment on any weapon it would qualify as long as you are in a Shadow hand stance.

This is exactly what I was looking for, Thank you!

I don't know what you mean by tactile (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tactile) feats, But the tactical feats do not require the use of preferred weapons either.

No no no, Not tactical feats, the feats with amazing textures :smalltongue:

Some of them do. Some of the options in Reaping Talons and Shards of Granite require preferred weapons tied to that particular style. As Artillery mentions, Shadow Blade (which isn't a Tactical feat, but is a prereq for Gloom Razor) requires Shadow Hand weapons while in a Shadow Hand stance.

Adding the Adaptive enhancement to a weapon may or may not allow you treat it as a preferred discipline weapon for some of these feats... check with your DM.

Awesome, I just briefly skimmed through the stuff I was looking for when i got the idea. I am the DM, so I asked me, and after a little discussion, I decided that I could go through with giving the spiked chain the adaptive enchantment, just in case I miss something that does indeed require Shadow Hand/Setting Sun weaponry.

Thank you all for the help!

Zetapup
2013-01-01, 08:58 PM
I'm away from books at the moment, but I'm pretty sure the spiked chain is a shadow hand weapon. You might still need to put the aptitude enchantment on it for the setting sun feats but if you're just going to use the shadow hand feats you should be good. Hope this helps!

Artillery
2013-01-01, 09:11 PM
I'm away from books at the moment, but I'm pretty sure the spiked chain is a shadow hand weapon. You might still need to put the aptitude enchantment on it for the setting sun feats but if you're just going to use the shadow hand feats you should be good. Hope this helps!

Oh, thats what he was asking?

This discipline’s preferred weapons are the dagger, sai, short sword, spiked chain, siangham, and unarmed strike. Its key skill is Hide

Zetapup
2013-01-01, 09:41 PM
Oh, thats what he was asking?

I believe so, because I don't think the disciplines require you to use their associated weapons unless a maneuver specifically states it. Again, away from books so I may be misremembering.