PDA

View Full Version : Good (and popular) Sci Fi RPGs

Maquise
2013-01-01, 07:50 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew of any sci fi RPGs which were both good, and had a large enough player base that finding a group either online or in real life would not be too difficult.

Grinner
2013-01-01, 08:37 PM
Well...Shadowrun seems to be the most popular, and I imagine a fair number of groups play GURPS.

On the indie side of the spectrum, Eclipse Phase is popular in certain circles, though I've never seen a RL group for it.

Edit: What sort of sci-fi were you looking for, anyway? Space opera? Cyberpunk?

Maquise
2013-01-01, 08:41 PM
Are there any in the Space Opera genre? GURPS is a little daunting, and the other two look post-apocalyptic.

Grinner
2013-01-01, 08:47 PM
Are there any in the Space Opera genre? GURPS is a little daunting, and the other two look post-apocalyptic.

One of the Star Wars lines might be what you're looking for?

There's also d6 Space (http://www.sycarion.com/rpg-downloads/open-d6-download-links/), which was based on one of the Star Wars games.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-01-01, 10:13 PM
Traveller is one of the grandaddies of sci-fi RPGs, and Mongoose has released a recent version that effectively cleaned up the classic game. It's a simple system (roll 2d6, add stats, succeed on 8 or higher) and it's the classic space opera RPG.

BlackShip
2013-01-02, 05:02 PM
Cyberpunk! It's 2013! I have to invent a new campaign! It's time to return to Night City.