PDA

View Full Version : Superhero GURPS 4e Supers Game: Does it work well?

scarmiglionne4
2013-01-01, 10:13 PM
I did some shopping around on a good system for a supers game. I have in mind a sort of golden age/pulp/League of Extraordinary Gentleman power level in mind. I have looked over Heroes Unlimited, Mutants and Masterminds, and even a few retroclones. None of them seemed to be exactly what I was looking for.

GURPS reads like it might work, but I have never played GURPS. How would it do a supers game of about 300 points allowing 100-150 points of flaws? What does the system do well, if not this type of game?

If GURPS is not ideal, what would be a better system that would be relatively easy to pick up and play for a supers game? I am especially interested in free retroclones.

Hylas
2013-01-01, 11:52 PM
I've only done gritty fantasy in GURPS, but I can tell you that you'll probably want more than 300 points. If you want a character that can take on a tank single-handed then keep in mind that a tank has over 200 DR and has a main gun that does 6dx30(3) pi+ damage (http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=28865) (6d6 * 30 with an armor divisor of 3, and all damage after DR is multiplied by 1.5 for HP damage). So a really strong buff superhero that can take a shot from a cannon is going to need a lot of DR, which is a lot of points.

But I'm not a comic book person (most of my superhero knowledge is from cartoons and what I hear my comic book friends talk about), so maybe pulp is more like Watchmen? Like one guy's power is being a good detective and can shoot a gun better than average, or maybe having a bow with "just the right arrow" at all times. 300 points will work and give you something around 10-15th level in D&D (barring wizards and clerics) and a smaller HP pool. Remember, in GURPS, guns make people go squish.

Kadzar
2013-01-02, 01:12 AM
I still haven't played it, but I've heard that Spirit of the Century (http://www.faterpg.com/dl/sotc-srd.html) is possibly the best pulp game ever made, and I'm pretty sure it covers the exact timeframe you want.

DigoDragon
2013-01-02, 08:06 AM
A GURPS game of about 300 points is good for a low-power superhero campaign. The players would be considered young inexperienced heroes who just came into their powers. I often start out my superhero campaigns on this level.

They won't be throwing tanks or brushing off RPGs to the face, but they can still put villains through walls and rip open car doors. :smallbiggrin:

Andrewmoreton
2013-01-02, 11:52 AM
GURPS will do low to medium powered superheroes reasonably well. Not quite sure what points total I would use , I seem to remember 200-300 points in more elite commando's than truly superhuman. However if you allow a lot of points into powers and stats the characters will look more superhuman. I have never pushed GURPS to the High end superhuman level but it should work well. I would think it will work for what you wanted . I played in a superpowered police officers game at that sort of point level , although I would be careful at the level of disads you are looking at it may well be more than GURPS works with.

Another choice is HERO System, which plays a lot like GURPS but is generally designed for a less realistic and more superpowered game

TheEmerged
2013-01-02, 06:24 PM
I did some shopping around on a good system for a supers game. I have in mind a sort of golden age/pulp/League of Extraordinary Gentleman power level in mind. I have looked over Heroes Unlimited, Mutants and Masterminds, and even a few retroclones. None of them seemed to be exactly what I was looking for.

GURPS reads like it might work, but I have never played GURPS. How would it do a supers game of about 300 points allowing 100-150 points of flaws? What does the system do well, if not this type of game?

If GURPS is not ideal, what would be a better system that would be relatively easy to pick up and play for a supers game? I am especially interested in free retroclones.

Personally, I would recommend HERO over GURPS, especially if you're going for a wide variety of power sources (the genericness of GURPS is more advertisement than reality, IMO/E). I've never played Mutants & Masterminds, so I can't comment on it beyond saying I've heard good things about it. I would also recommend the classic FASERIP Marvel system, the Marvel SAGA system, or the old nine-stat DC system over GURPS. I would recommend GURPS over any other system I've played but can't remember the name to right now (and that's about 4-5 systems offhand).

300+150 GURPS would work okay for a street-level super or a "Super Hero High" type campaign. Personally I'd recommend closer to 450 or 500 + 150. I've seen writeups of elite commandos in GURPS that came in over 400 pts, and they don't have to pay for their attacks & defenses.

scarmiglionne4
2013-01-02, 11:04 PM
Personally, I would recommend HERO over GURPS, especially if you're going for a wide variety of power sources (the genericness of GURPS is more advertisement than reality, IMO/E). I've never played Mutants & Masterminds, so I can't comment on it beyond saying I've heard good things about it. I would also recommend the classic FASERIP Marvel system, the Marvel SAGA system, or the old nine-stat DC system over GURPS. I would recommend GURPS over any other system I've played but can't remember the name to right now (and that's about 4-5 systems offhand).

I had been looking at 4C System which I understand is a retro-clone of the old Marvel game. What I had seen of it was not really complete. I would probably have to get my hands on the original FASERIP books.

Is Marvel SAGA the one with the pool of tokens? What is the DC system called?

What I would really like is a game with as many powers options as possible that is the most cinematic and GM friendly. GURPS appealed to me because of the options, but I am honestly intimidated at the idea of running the game.

Diskhotep
2013-01-03, 12:17 AM
You might take a look at ICONS or Truth and Justice. Both are very versatile and easy on the GM. The old Marvel FASERIP system is also good, and a compiled version can be found free online.

scarmiglionne4
2013-01-03, 05:04 AM
You might take a look at ICONS or Truth and Justice. Both are very versatile and easy on the GM. The old Marvel FASERIP system is also good, and a compiled version can be found free online.

That FASERIP system has been getting recommended quite a bit. I have downloaded some books and am checking it out today.

Grod_The_Giant
2013-01-03, 10:49 PM
What I would really like is a game with as many powers options as possible that is the most cinematic and GM friendly. GURPS appealed to me because of the options, but I am honestly intimidated at the idea of running the game.

I'd suggest taking another look at M&M/DC Adventures. I've been playing with the system for a while now; it really does everything you mentioned above quite well. There's a bit of a learning curve when it comes to power creation, but it's mostly for making complex/clever things-- basic powers are generally quite straightforward.

Synistar
2014-03-03, 02:47 PM

GURPS could do a 300 - 400 point LoEG type game. But GURPS defaults to a gritty feel for supers (more Watchmen than X-Men). To get higher powered more 4-color supers will put you in the 500 - 1000 point range. And if you are not familiar with the system you may get overloaded with build options. The build system is also very detailed and crunchy. It's good but not what I would call "easy to pick up and play".

For a simpler supers game I would go with Icons, BASH, or maybe Supercrew. The perfect game for you though, if you are willing to use some more complex rules, is probably Kerberos Club. Which is a Victorian supers game that gives you a complete setting perfect for a League of Extraordinary Gentleman game. The power build system is also very flexible allowing you to make almost any kind of power.

Kerberos Club on DriveThruRrpg (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/93899/The-Kerberos-Club-FATE-Edition)