PDA

View Full Version : 4th Ed brew/ WFRP

chomskola
2013-01-02, 09:24 AM
Hi guys,

I know a lot of people complain about 4th ed, but is there anything worth importing from 4th ed which wont mess up game balance or change the nature of the game too much? Id be interested in anything that could enhance the role play/ simulation side of things from any other similar game. I saw in WFRP (warhammer fantasy roleplay) there is ability to handle drink as an attribute and also fate points and insanity points. I particularly like insanity points.

Anyone have success with importing fate points, action points and the like? I also really like the WFRP careers part, might be useful for generating NPCS

Phelix-Mu
2013-01-02, 01:17 PM
The experts on 4E are likely in the 4E subforum, but since you need someone who is an expert in both, I'm not sure which subforum would be most useful to ask in.

If you don't mind the evil flavor, Taint Rules introduced in Heroes of Horror allow one to have a kind of "insanity score," if you will (i.e., depravity). The rules allow for some pretty interesting, twisted concepts to come up, and allow one to add a very dark, disturbing element to a campaign.

Much of the setting flavor of 4e could be reintroduced to 3.x as a departure from core cosmology or part of a custom setting.

Introducing new attributes and such can be highly problematic to game balance. This may well belong on a homebrew thread, though I am not particularly familiar with how/how well that part of the forum functions.

Treblain
2013-01-02, 01:57 PM
Defender mechanics could be an interesting thing to borrow from 4e; the Fighter and Paladin ones could be put in without much modification, though changing them to auras rather than marks makes it less complicated to track and less dependent on minis.

I'm not sure if you mean D&D 4e's action points or something from Warhammer, but if you do, they probably wouldn't work in 3.5; they'd be too powerful and slow the game down too much.

And there is a sanity variant system in Unearthed Arcana. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm)

chomskola
2013-01-02, 03:08 PM
what about a watered down version of action points like 1 per level, and only to be used as an extra d20 roll, something along the lines of a 'fate' point? that probably wouldnt unbalance things too much.

Greenish
2013-01-02, 03:18 PM
Both Unearthed Arcana and Eberron Campaign Setting have Action Points (though slightly different from each other).