PDA

View Full Version : Question - "Scratch and Dent."

Sir Tawmis
2013-01-02, 02:09 PM
I noticed on the OOTS selling page - that most of the books are listed twice. There's a normal version and one that says "Scratch and Dented." Does that mean the books are blemished (with a scratch and/or dent)? Seems the most logical... but was looking for clarification before I placed an order.
:smalleek:

For Clarification the page is here:
http://www.ookoodook.com/store/comics_order-of-the-stick.shtml

Winter
2013-01-02, 02:16 PM
Of course, yes. That version can have scratches and dents that came from the shipping printer -> warehouse. Therefore, it is cheaper.

If you want to know how many scratches and dents it can have, you need to email the folks at ookoodook directly. I doubt they are selling items that are too damaged, but only they can tell you what you can expect.

Kish
2013-01-02, 02:38 PM
Yes, it means the books are too blemished to be sold as perfectly intact.

From what people have said here before, for the majority of them it's tiny, almost-to-completely-indistinguishable ink spots on some of the pages, but don't mistake my posting that for a binding contract between you and Rich Burlew.

Sir Tawmis
2013-01-02, 02:45 PM
Absolutely understood. I just thought, "Well this makes too much common sense..." :smallredface:So I just wanted to make sure! It's very nice that they sell both versions like that! Because for someone who doesn't have them all - grabbing them all new and pristine is a bit costly - so grabbing some "blemished" ones helps with the price (especially after Christmas!)

Dr. Gamera
2013-01-02, 04:13 PM
I believe I purchased a "Scratch and Dent" version of The Order of the Stick Adventure Game: Dungeon of Dorukan (original set in black and green, not the deluxe edition). I did not get around to writing, but wanted to write, a facetious letter complaining that it wasn't scratched and dented enough. If I recall correctly, the shrinkwrap had an opening in it only large enough for someone to draw a stripe through the UPC with a black marker -- and there was no other damage whatsoever.

As Kish noted, my experience may not accurately reflect your experience, and is not a binding contract between anyone.

Acanous
2013-01-02, 09:47 PM
The good folk at Ookadook have, in my experience, a standard of quality that eclipses any measure of professionalism. If you order the regular version, it gets to you *Pristine*. The scratched and dented are the stock they have that do not meet their high standard of quality. Very little I imagine, can, but they sell them so they can stay in business, with a disclaimer and a markoff :p

I'd put the Scratched and Dented versions at roughly equivalent to something you'd get from a vendor at a convention.

IsaacTheHungry
2013-01-10, 02:42 AM
I got a scratch and dent I while back that did have noticible damage. My copy of war and xp (first printing, scratch and dent) came with a cut or tare across the lower back fo the binding. To me it looked like when someone was opening a shipment with a knife they nicked my book. It is in perfect condition otherwise and perfectly readable. So if you get a scratch and dent it may not be as good as the above posters but it should be perfectly readable. Enjoy

denthor
2013-01-10, 04:55 PM
I bought Don't split the party.

Could not find a thing wrong inside or outside.

After a year or two a couple of pages from the middle detached.

I read my books quite a bit :smallredface:

Shivore
2013-01-11, 03:28 PM
Wow, I find these stories very interesting. Not that I have anything against Ookadook but my experience hasn't matched up with what's said here.

I've ordered books from them once, and they came alright, but I also ordered the board game and it was not a "Scratch and Dent discount" and it didn't come so well. The box was pretty severely dented on one corner, and the plastic lining of the inside that holds the cards was ripped. All the important stuff like the cards and all were fine, but the whole thing was far far from "pristine"

Course, I guess it was just my bad luck going by this thread. To be fair, I never said anything about it before because what I cared about (the cards and such) were fine.

factotum
2013-01-12, 03:26 AM
That's probably damage which occurred while the game was being shipped from Ookoodook to you--I would assume it left there in pristine condition, as ordered. You really should have raised it with them as an issue, I'm sure they would have made good any damaged items.

Sith_Happens
2013-01-12, 04:33 AM
I believe I purchased a "Scratch and Dent" version of The Order of the Stick Adventure Game: Dungeon of Dorukan (original set in black and green, not the deluxe edition). I did not get around to writing, but wanted to write, a facetious letter complaining that it wasn't scratched and dented enough.

That's awesome.