PDA

View Full Version : Quick and Dirty Dungeonry, Part the First (IC)

Mordae
2013-01-02, 02:18 PM
Hearthsford. It stands alone on the edge of imperial civilization, a backwater town once great in the Empire's glory days but now, in the crumbling twilight of grandeur, no longer even deemed worthy of a garrison. Yet stood it has, for hundreds of years, through drought and flood, war and peace, rise and fall, for there seems to be something about the locale that inspires the best in men and women too tough to withdraw to the comfortable life of one of the Empire's better defended cities.

Hearthsford, in its current incarnation, is a stone-walled bastion of fishing and hunting. Furriers plunder the depths of the great forest that lies east beyond the Slow River; their caravans run the westward road to the imperial core from spring to first snow. The river's waters ponderously fill the Flat Lake to the south, and both bodies are plentiful with trout and bass that transit to the capitals, salted and barreled, for the folk who love the taste of fish but could not catch or gut one if their life depended on it. Northward lie rolling hills and snow-capped mountains, dotted by mines--many long disused, whether on account of monstrous incursions or having been completely tapped out in decades or centuries past.

Being on the edge of the civilized world, Hearthsford deals with more than its fair share of danger. This is where the Adventurers' Guild comes in. Enterprising folk with a taste for battle come to Hearthsford to test and improve their skills, and in these days have become the pseudo-military force that the Empire either cannot or will not provide. Problems reported on the tall post outside the Guild's doors are invariably handled in a swift and professional manner, and frequently free of charge. This low-cost arrangement helps keep Hearthsford profitable, and adventurers are warmly welcomed in the common room of the Sleepy Inn, in the cavernous tent-and-shack halls of the Market, or anywhere else they might be found in and around the town.

The Guild itself is one of the largest structures in town, rivaled only by the Inn and Market in stature. While aspirants could no doubt secure lodging at the Inn or even build a house of their own, the Guild provides a place to stay and mingle with like-minded individuals. It also offers storage for valuables and space to train the arts of combat; for all the value placed on the presence of the Adventurers' Guild, the swinging of swords and slinging of spells is frowned upon in the strets of town.

In the cozy confines of Victory Hall, the guild's common room, ale and conversation flow readily. Friendships are renewed, new bonds are forged, and old bonds are remembered. After all, danger is part of the job description.

Korney
2013-01-02, 05:24 PM
Däeril arrived to the town walls in the night, in poor condition and without a single coin. Fortunatelly for him this was a common circumstance in Hearthsford.
He made his way to the inn where he was welcomed as if a business partner had arrived.
He had heard stories about how Hearthsford was a comfortable place for adventurers, but when he was offered room and soup for no charge he could not believe it.
This would be a good place to rest.

The next morning he went to the Adventurers Guild and discovered how things work in Hearthsford. It seems that as long as he refrained from violence inside the walls, and showed interest once in a while in some quest, he could rest and recover without a single coin.

Two weeks have passed, and Däeril is at the Victory Hall, overhearing conversations when a curious newcommer appears at the doorstep.

So Däeril have been abusing the hospitality while recovering from his wounds, ocasinally looking for some elf to try and learn something new about magic, but half-heartedly. Until someone arrives... :smallsmile:

antonm1107
2013-01-02, 06:10 PM
Thomas is one of the few not taking part in any sort of conversation. He looks solemnly at his ale-filled glass as he ponders what had brought him there. Despite being in the Victory Hall, Thomas had never adventured, unless attacking villages in the name of his own kingdom counted as adventure. Something he didn't want people to know; it was why he created the pseudonym in the first place. And while he had gone rogue on his kingdom, he was sure that anybody from this kingdom would not take a moment to look kindly on one with a past such as his.
So when he hid away to the small city of Hearthsford, he created the pseudonym of 'Xentil' and excused himself as an adventure. Something that few in the town would be inclined to believe; Xentil was not a human name, and a resident elf had stated that it was, in fact, a name reserved for dark-elf females. His adventurer status had also recently been called into question as no prizes could be found in the place he rented, nor could he recount any of his previous adventures.
And so, 'Xentil' had decided to go to the Adventurer's Guild such that he may be able to find a group of adventurers he could join. Perhaps then, the inhabitants in this city would stop being so skeptical about him.
His eyes turn to the entrance as a newcomer enters the Victory hall; perhaps this person would be willing to adventure with him?

D.KnightSpider
2013-01-02, 06:24 PM
It was, Lara decided, a rather curious arrangement here at Hearthsford. adventurers came in and took care of the city's problems and, in response, the city took care of the adventurers. Somehow, the two sides seemed able to perfectly co-exist without tearing each other asunder or devolving into petty infighting. It was rather unfathomable, actually.

Still, there was no point in examining a gift horse's mouth. So long as this place afforded her a measure of independence, then she was more than willing to let the dark shadows of this picturesque little town lie unexamined.

Lara turned her gaze away from inward introspection and squinted-- against the sun-- toward the quests adorned on the Adventure Guild's board. She frowned at them. Surely on this board there must be at least one that lay within her ability to successfully complete. Thus far the little slips of paper had proven quite unhelpful in that task.

She squinted harder, willing something worthwhile to appear. It did not, much to her unsurprise.

Fwop
2013-01-02, 11:44 PM
It was around that odd, slow hour in the afternoon, when hardly anyone can be bothered to do or care about anything, that Heian arrived in town. As a result, his arrival - a event in itself already of little note - went even less noticed than usual (other than by those whose jobs were to be in the habit of noticing such things, of course).

Honestly, Heian was pretty exhausted as well. He still had some small amount of coin left over even after his travels up till this point, and really just wanted to get a good night's rest before he moved on. In hindsight, simply picking a direction and walking probably wasn't such a good idea - though, in his defense, he had been rather rushed at the time. Yet looking at himself some weeks on, where had that gotten him?

...Hearth...ford? Wasn't that the city famous for its adventurers' guild? The city that took in anyone and everyone who was willing to lend their skills? Hmm. Perhaps heading in this direction hadn't been such a bad idea after all. Tiredness temporarily forgotten, Heian wound his way into town in search of the guild headquarters. Perhaps he just might linger here a while longer after all.

Mordae
2013-01-03, 08:32 AM
As the door to Victory Hall swings open, allowing some of the fresh spring air to permeate the murkier interior, the sunlight outside seems to illuminate the Notice Pole with a golden glow. As the young man (Heian) enters as unobtrusively as possible, Lara catches sight of a new piece of blue paper tacked about five feet off the ground on the sunward side of the pole. It flutters softly in the warm breeze.

Fwop
2013-01-03, 08:50 AM
Heian makes his way over to the Pole, giving the woman already standing there a friendly nod in greeting as he passes her by, to see if anything catches his eye before he turns in for the day.

Or do you intend to start the adventure on the same in-game day?

Mordae
2013-01-03, 09:06 AM
Wild Boars smashing coney traps in Greywold! Fur coats offered to expert pig hunters.

Disturbing noises coming from Far Island cave--investigate?

Orc bandits spotted on highway!

And the new blue page:

Goblins moved in to abandoned gem mine 2 miles north; patrols threatening operations in nearby salt caves. Help please!

D.KnightSpider
2013-01-03, 11:48 AM
Allowing her curiosity to guide her, Lara moved around the pole and the new arrival in order to study this strange slip of blue paper. A quick glance told her that this was something that deserved a fair amount of attention, if for its contents if not appearance.

Granted, she had fled from her old life, but that did not absolve her of her responsibility toward the common man. Of all the postings that she had seen, this one appeared to be the most immediate threat. Salt was a moderately valuable commodity; for these fine people to be driven from it would be nothing short of a travesty.

She nodded slowly whilst making her decision. Then, with finality, she turned towards the nearby group of loosely affiliated warriors. Alone, this task was above her abilities. But with a few allies, it appeared very much possible to succeed.

"From this I see that a group of goblins have taken it upon themselves to threaten these fine people of Hearthsford." Lara said to no one in particular. Upon tapping the blue paper, she continued. "Perhaps there are a few others who would join me in removing this vile nuisance?"

Mordae
2013-01-03, 04:38 PM
The hall is relatively empty this time of day. There is a group of hardy souls at one corner table, but they announce they've just returned from caravan-guarding duty and need some time off. A shifty human at the bar disclaims interest, but then he pads off to his room with surprising haste. That leaves the elf standing near the pole, the other human now alone at the bar, and the second elf alone at his table as the only unaccounted-for voices that might respond to Lara's call to action.

Korney
2013-01-03, 05:40 PM
Däeril's eyes wide open when the figure starts speaking.
An armored figure stands there asking for volunteers for a helping cause. Not only as brave as someone that stills believes in the good of the world but also as only a young creature can be.
A little bit older than a kid, the female human radiates leadership.
Just as his last party leader. She was also a young female for her race, Liriana was incredibly strong for her delicate elf build. Däeril still has nightmares of her dead, when his companions panicked and Liriana and him for dead.

It's almost like a cruel joke that, now that he was forgeting about her, another stupid charismatic leader girl appeared at his door.

He was about to leave when he vriefly heard the chime of the rings embedded on his greatsword. Was he imagining things? Did it mean anything?

Before he could make up his mind he found himself standing up in front of the newcomer.
"I will help."
And he could feel in his back the warmth his blade was emiting.

antonm1107
2013-01-03, 10:03 PM
'Xentil' grins; finally, somebody willing to adventure! Maybe after this he'd be able to get the town off his back about 'not being an adventurer' and 'leeching from their adventurer-only resources'.
"Sure, I'll join up!" He stands up and walks over to the girl requesting allies. "Xentil, at your service."

Fwop
2013-01-04, 12:19 AM
"...I will as well," Heian decided, with a quick, curious glance in the woman's direction. It was indeed curious, a too-perfect timing that seemed almost contrived in nature. Could it perhaps mean somethi-

Heian had suddenly to knuckle back a yawn.

"Or not," he sighed, then added after a moment, "perhaps I will find you, if you are still here on the morrow."

After another moment's deliberation, he ambled off in search of lodgings. And hopefully a good bath.

Mordae
2013-01-04, 08:09 AM
While Heian goes off to find his loofah, the other three sudden companions have the remainder of the evening to plan their adventure and gather information. The bartender at Victory Hall is helpful enough to provide the name of the merchant who owns the local salt mine--a short, fat, sallow lump of a man who goes by Master Drake.

After a few minutes of walking, Heian finds himself at the entrance of the Sleepy Inn. The innkeeper, a jovial auburn-haired woman whose large personality outsizes her rather bony frame, meets the elf at the door. "Another adventurer? My goodness, what a bounty today. You can have the sixth room on the left side of the upstairs hall. No charge, provided you're on a quest--naturally you are, of course! A bath? I'll have Miss Elin run one right away. The name's Gillian, by the way; call if you need anything! Breakfast is served at dawn, most of your kind like to be early risers; early bird gets the gold and all that!" Having run out of oxygen for the moment, Gillian the innkeeper draws in a deep breath and regards Heian with her warm brown eyes.

Fwop
2013-01-04, 08:59 AM
Heian blinks for a moment, weary mind processing the woman's words, before breaking into a smile. "Thank you, Gillian. You're probably the friendliest face I've seen all week. I'm Heian. I'll probably be turning early tonight, so you won't have me bothering you much. But if you don't mind my asking, could you tell me where I could grab a bite to eat? Ah, and where to buy some supplies, too - I'm running rather low at the moment."

Mordae
2013-01-04, 09:16 AM
"Well, most adventurers eat in that guild hall, but if you really want a taste of Hearthsford you can go to the Olde Salt tavern down on the south side of town. Try their smoked trout and truffles, they're my favorite this season! As for supplies, you'll find everything and anything in the market. Some of it's a bit pricey, but that's part of being on the frontier--if we can't make it here, it has to be imported by caravan, and that's an expensive venture, you know?"

Fwop
2013-01-04, 09:34 AM
"Yeah, I have been seeing less and less caravans for the past few days. Well, bandits will always stay around roads far from the capitals, so it's only to be expected, I suppose," Heian muses. "Now then - the market, you say? I think I'll head right there. Though I will be taking that bath, if you don't mind, in... hmm, perhaps an hour or so? It's been far too long since I've had a proper one. Thanks again for your help, Gillian." So saying, Heian heads off again to replenish his dwindling supplies.

I'm not sure how soon the others will get through their thing, so I'll just do the conversations which seem less major quickly. Hope you don't mind too much.

D.KnightSpider
2013-01-04, 11:59 AM
Lara thanked the barman for volunteering the man's name. There was much information that was needed before they could begin their adventure proper; the one who owned the mine seemed as likely a starting point as not. She proceeded to ask if the bartender was aware of the man's whereabouts.

Once that transaction was finished, she turned back to the two that had joined her and said: "Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Lara and I wish to thank you for your assistance on this matter. Perhaps, as we travel to meet this Master Drake, we should begin to know one another, that way we might better complement one another in combat?"

Mordae
2013-01-04, 01:25 PM
Victory Hall
"This time of day, you'll find him at his stall in the market," the bartender answers. "Never misses a trading day, that fellow."

The Market
Gillian promises to have the water ready, and Heian heads to the market, which occupies nearly the entire northeast quadrant of town.

The mish-mash of canvas tents and ragged wooden shacks conjures up a more rustic version of the typical imperial town's bazaar, but the narrow, crowded corridors and the loud din of hawkers and shoppers are as ubiquitous as any found in the more civilized quarters of the empire. A few of the more permanent buildings, notably Smythe's Smithy near the north wall and Shepherd's Stockyards just inside the east gate, serve to anchor the hodgepodge from blowing away in a stiff breeze. The smells of freshly caught fish, tanned leather, hot metal, and sweaty animals mingle in the warm afternoon air.

Korney
2013-01-04, 05:12 PM
While walking to the market Däeril introduces himself to the other two.
"My name is Däeril, I have been traveling since I was young and I'm new to Hearthford methods, but I hope you are not thinking in violence as you first option, I don't want unecessary troubles." sais concerned that Lara's interest immediatly refeared to their combat skills.
"In case we can't escape that sitution, know that I'm a novice magician, although far away from tales of wondrous magic, my powers are merely a help."

"I vote that we find out why this creatures decided to live there in the first place, maybe we can talk to them and reach an agreement. Maybe there are little innocent people looking for a place to live after some stupid human army destroyed their home." sais Däeril with a neutral tone, as if this happened all the time.
Also, maybe we can milk this situation by demanding a reward from the salt-dealer, if this town business model is SALTED fish, it must be quite necessary. thinks Däeril for himself while grining.

"SO. Have you been in many battles? Is not common to see a well armored ki- young woman." asks Dëril to Lara while looking the other man smiling.

D.KnightSpider
2013-01-07, 11:43 AM
That was a rather, er, unique, way of solving the situation. Lara cast Däeril a fleetingly curious look. These were goblins they were dealing with, not dignitaries. Talking to them seemed less than intuitive given the situation. However, from that brief testimonial, it appeared that Däeril was a little more experienced in these matters than she, thus giving his words some worthy weight. She decided to ponder them at a later date.

"I see no reason not to make an attempt at diplomacy." She responded in a pacifistically neutral tone. "However, upon giving due consideration to past experiences, I doubt that we will be able to escape combat altogether. I would rather be prepared to defend my life and honor than caught unawares.

"Insofar as my abilities and history, I have had both instruction and experience in battle. I am a warrior-- a frontliner. Much like yourself, however, I would still classify myself as a novice. I can avoid injuring myself and regularly injure an opponent, but I am far from a seasoned veteran of combat."

These matters were laid out quite matter-of-factly. Well-armored or no, it didn't take much eyesight to see that she was hardly of intimidating build. Truthfully, the only being that Lara could foresee being frightened of her was a friendly dog caught in mischeif.

She cast an expectant glance at their third companion. He had been rather quiet thus far. Lara would appreciate knowing his thoughts on the matter.

Korney
2013-01-07, 12:02 PM
Däeril nods at Lara's answers and follow her eyes to glare at the third companion. Expectating...

Lol, presure! presure! *chii~~~~~~*

Mordae
2013-01-07, 01:58 PM
As Lara, Daeril, and Xentil arrive at the market, they see the elf Heian working his way through the crowded, alley-like corridors that run between the tents, shacks, and more permanent structures of the bazaar. He appears to be early in his shopping, for his arms are not laden with goods.

antonm1107
2013-01-08, 12:25 AM
"Erm... I was trained a while back, so I'm pretty good with the sword, but like you guys, I'm far from being a veteran at anything. I've had a bit of experience in combat, though not much, and while I've been trained to be an expert at swordplay, I've never been quite as good as my fellow sold-I mean, adventurers." His hand subconsciously moved over to the handle of his sword, wishing for it's comfort. Sure, he hadn't been attacked in ages, but it was nice to know that it was at hand at all times.
He didn't answer the elf, leaving it to their leader to do the honors.

Fwop
2013-01-08, 12:32 AM
As promised, deleted and reposted in the appropriate order.
EDIT: And now I realise he referred to my post in his. Whoops.

Comment with original post:
I had been planning to wait perhaps one or two more conversation posts before dropping Heian in (midway through his shopping), but...
Making his way down into the market, Heian is recounting in his head the things he needs to buy as he sees three of those people from earlier.

"Oh, hello again!" Heian calls as he turns to head towards them, "I wasn't expecting to see you again. Are you not leaving today, then? What brings you here?"

D.KnightSpider
2013-01-08, 10:09 AM
Interesting. Their overall party composition was that of 'a buncha rookies', to borrow a colloquialism. Lara felt her mouth scrunch in thought as she contemplated this fact, the fellow swordsman's words and his lack of overall opinion and name.

Since the adventurer from earlier's arrival had brought their conversation to a premature end, Lara decided to capitalize upon its death.

"We decided to visit the owner of the mine and gather some intelligence on the overall matter before attempting to fix the problem. The man goes by the name of 'Master Drake'; he's a round little man who holds a stall in the market-- from what we've been told. Perhaps you've seen him, sir...?"

She let her voice trail off, waiting for the other to supply his name.

Fwop
2013-01-08, 10:27 AM
"Ah, yes - I haven't yet introduced myself, have I? Pleased to make your acquaintance; my name is Heian. And yours?" A quick round of name exchanges ensues [OOC: Hope no one minds, but it's really pointless to have everyone post again simply to give their names.], after which Heian continues, "I can't say that I've met a... Mister Drake, was it? Is that a surname or given? In any case, I haven't even heard of anyone of that name, as I've only just reached this market myself, but I wouldn't mind helping you search for him for a few minutes. Four pairs of eyes are better than three, after all. Have you a description of him?"

By the way, unlike everyone else, who has been staying here for some length of time, Heian has just arrived. As a result, he's still carrying the few items leftover from his travels up till this point, not having taken the time to drop them off at his room yet.
Among them, clearly visible, are the blades and (unstrung) crossbow slung variously over his body. As such, I'm skipping over the question of his combat abilities in the introductions.

Mordae
2013-01-08, 01:33 PM
A slight breeze rustles the fabric of the tents in the market, setting pennants to flapping. Over a nearby crimson-hued tent, a blue pennant shows a long-tailed golden dragon, its mouth agape around a white crystal.

Korney
2013-01-08, 04:49 PM
Däeril looks at the banner and then looks arround the air confused. There was no breeze before. Was it something to worry about? Was it one of those powers you should be cautious with? Or was it just a coincidence?

Before starting to question the very fabric of destiny and reality, Däeril decides it was probably just the wind.
"I suppose we could start asking there." sais pointing the blue pennant. "Looks like a Drake bitting salt to me."

And without waiting for the other he heads to the crimson tent and enters.
"Hello? We are looking for Master Drake."

Mordae
2013-01-09, 10:56 AM
The inside of the tent is small and relatively dark, cramped by the sloping sides of crimson canvas. Tight-fitting wooden casks both large and small have been arrayed around the perimeter to take advantage of the otherwise useless angled space, leaving the center of the room free.

Two men stand there talking: one an older, bearded gentleman with rough-fit burlap garments and the other a svelte young man in linen robes dyed the same crimson as the tent. The latter flicks a dismissive glance toward the tent flap and gives a quick, "Be with you in a moment," before returning to his conversation with the older man. Another minute or two of chattery passes before the bearded fellow hands over a jingling coin purse and selects one of the smaller casks on his way out of the tent.

"Now, good sir halfling, how may Master Drake be of service to you today?" the red-robed gent asks, running a hand through his wheat-blond hair to rake it back from around his face.

Korney
2013-01-09, 11:47 AM
"We are the adventurers that are going to get rid og the gem mine problem, and I believe it concerned you as well." Däeril waits to see if the man shows interest in helping them with the mission.

If he does:
"Well, understand that this is not going to be free of charge. The concern is mostly for business damage and doesn't endanger the town." Däeril sais to the man, making sure to get a good reward.

If he does not:
"Well, then I suppose this mission is not important enough and we should leave those creatures alone, gaining more and more control over the zone and probably affecting the salt delivers." Däeril studies the man reaction. "Of course, an intelligent merchant would protect his most valuable resources, probably offering a good reward to a group of willing adventurers." Däeril smiles.

Däeril awaits to the others to come before reaching an agreement, so they can add weight to the "adventurer's group" part.

antonm1107
2013-01-09, 11:38 PM
Xentil goes inside, not knowing quite what was going on between Drake and the halfling, though he wasn't about to interrupt it.

Fwop
2013-01-10, 01:18 AM
Briefly catching the Däeril's eye as he enters the tent, Heian can only give a brief shrug followed by a small nod at the halfing's words, as if to say "I don't know; do as you wish".
In his own experience, it was usually best, during negotiations at least, to have a single figure to act as the apparent leader, but Heian had never been the person to fill that role. As it was, he could only quash the questions he still had at this point and hope that the hobbit knew what he was doing.

Mordae
2013-01-10, 08:12 AM
The young man nods somberly. "Ah, yes. Nasty work going on up there. My partner has gone up to the salt mine to see about organizing defenses, but we'd rather it not get to that point. We can pay you a reward of two hundred pieces of gold to eliminate the threat--whatever you acquire on your adventure is also yours, naturally." His eyes drift upward to the elf and humans just inside the tent flap, then back to the speaking halfling.

Korney
2013-01-10, 11:01 AM
Däeril turns back to check his partners' faces looking for acceptation or refusal.
He sees the elf there too so he asks "Are you finally joining us Heian?"
OOC: I'm going to assume a YES.
He sais to Master Drake. "We will do it if you can add a horse cart, food and other minor travel materials for the four of us. I'm sure a merchant would have no trouble with such petition."

Once Mister Drake agrees, Däeril introduces the rest of the party to him and proceeds to ask for details such as situation (a map would be great), when did it started, and other info about the intruders he could give.

If the party don't want to add anything:
[OOC: if they do I will copy/paste this later]
Once the newly fomed group is a while outside the tent Däeril starts talking to them "I have been thinking for a while now. Maybe there is a chance to make this situation a good thing. I mean, given that there is any chance of diplomacy and we don't end filling the mines with goblin corpses."
Däeril explain his idea to his partners. They could try to make the goblins work in one or both of the mines, as miners, maybe they could use the abandoned gem mine as a place to live and work in the salt mine.
"That would solve the attacks problem, give the town cheaper salt maybe even some gems, and save those poor little monst- creatures."

D.KnightSpider
2013-01-10, 11:03 AM
Lara hastened to check her frustrations. After all that Hearthsford had done for them, Däeril felt the need to extort payment from this man? She stilled her tongue, however, not willing to show dissent among their ranks to the face of the client. She privately vowed to find some way to politely refuse this blood money-- or to donate it back to the little town itself.

Despite her misgivings, the merchant's words intriguing. She decided to pursue the thoughts that came to mind.

"Whatever we acquire is ours." Lara paraphrased the man's own words. "The implication there is that there is something to find. Might I ask if there is some history of misfortune with this cave?"

OoC: Ninja'd by Korney.

Korney
2013-01-10, 11:11 AM
OOC: I think it still fits the situation.

Mordae
2013-01-10, 02:27 PM
Master Drake sighs. "You drive a hard bargain, good sir halfling, but as yet none have offered better terms. If the cart and animal are not returned in good condition, naturally, I must deduct their value from your reward."

Turning to Lara, grateful for an opportunity to distract himself from the souring business end of the bargain, the young man continues the story. "The gem mine itself was abandoned some year or more ago. I know little of the details, but I have it on good word that the merchant quickly ran out of workers willing to continue on the job. Thus, I feel certain here should be ample gems remaining for those of stouter hearts.

The goblins moved in only last month, but as the entrance is nigh half a mile from our own cellars, the proximity has us on edge. They are a foul lot, given over quickly to lashing out with violence--we sent a scout to gauge their intentions only to find his body some weeks later, cooked and eaten. Fortunately, they only come out at night, which gives us a fighting chance to defend our mines and replenish our supplies in the spring and summer when days are long. Come winter, though, I fear we may have to abandon the facility once it becomes impossible to conduct deliveries between here and there in the span of one sunrise and sunset.

I can provide you a map of the area, and if you like you can tag along with one of our delivery wagons--we have a routine shipment scheduled for tomorrow at dawn."

D.KnightSpider
2013-01-11, 10:58 AM
"If that is the case, then one supposes that there is more to this vile cavern than that which we know."

Lara allowed her eyes to drift skyward in thought. Something had driven the men from the gem mine and now that mine had become home to a mess of goblins. Had that particular 'something' vacated the mine in recent memory or was it coexisting with the goblins? Such a force could make any negotiations tricky.

The ease with which Drake promised them riches which were not his, or might not exist, did not escape Lara's notice. It did little to solve the uneasy feeling developing within the pit of her stomach. This situation was not one that she enjoyed.

"You have been most kind, Master Drake. Provided that there are no objections on my companion's behalf," She cast a quick glance over her shoulder. I believe we shall accept your generous offer. We shall return early on the morrow and escort this delivery to its destination."

Mordae
2013-01-11, 03:52 PM
"Capital," the merchant exclaims without much enthusiasm. "The wagon train departs the east gate at dawn."

OOC:
I know Heian wants to do some more shopping; anyone else?

Korney
2013-01-11, 04:14 PM
OOC: I don't have any money, if Master Drake provides us with a cart, food, water, torches, rope and I can slip a staff between that, I'm settled.

Also, remember that when everybody leaves the tent, I will add the part about reaching an agreement with the goblins.

My plan is to try and talk with the town mayor before leaving, trying to get more info about the gem mine and why they abandonned it, and trying to figure out whose property is it now. (Or who was the explotation rights)

Fwop
2013-01-11, 09:11 PM
Of course the answer is yes! I'm not going to invoke the Angry DM. :smalleek:

And I suppose Heian also has a bath in around an hour, but that's neither here nor there.
Things here, Heian decides to himself, are definitely done rather differently than what I am used to. So...

"You said that you have a partner already up at the salt mines," Heian comments, "how recently was this? And could we can get in touch with them?"

Korney
2013-01-12, 08:07 PM
Once Heian gets the "contact" information and the group is outside, a safe distance from the tent Däeril sais to the group "I have been thinking for a while now. Maybe there is a chance to make this situation a good thing. I mean, given that there is any chance of diplomacy and we don't end filling the mines with goblin corpses."

Däeril explain his idea to his partners. They could try to make the goblins work in one or both of the mines, as miners, maybe they could use the abandoned gem mine as a place to live and work in the salt mine.
"That would solve the attacks problem, give the town cheaper salt maybe even some gems, and save those poor little monst- creatures."

antonm1107
2013-01-13, 05:54 PM
Xentil nods. "Agreed. I can already imagine how they're going to act, though; if we try to get them to do that, they're going to get pissed about how we're trying to make goblins do their dirty work or something, probably aggravate them more. If we do go with the diplomatic approach, we can't suggest this directly; we have to gain their trust, first. Maybe even give them gifts of gold or something, though I'm not sure if I want to give money to them."

Korney
2013-01-13, 08:04 PM
Däeril thinks about Xentil's words. "You are probably right. I guess we will not know how civilized this creatures are until we get there."

D.KnightSpider
2013-01-14, 12:15 PM
"Should recent history repeat itself, and should the tales we have heard be truthful by half, I would not hope them to be reasonable or civilized." Lara had little faith in this plan and felt at ease saying as such. "I have no issue with attempting diplomacy, but I intend to be fully prepared for its inevitable failure."

She allotted herself a small shrug.

antonm1107
2013-01-14, 06:08 PM
"Inevitable's such a dark word. Besides, we don't really have to worry about them being civil; just act in a way that they'll be familiar with. In this case, I'd say talk a bit loudly, use simple - but not mockingly so - words, don't act smug, but not humble either, don't go in threatening them with sharp sticks... If we do all that, I think we're good."

Mordae
2013-01-15, 10:53 AM
To Heian's question, Master Drake nods. "He left six dawns ago with our last supply wagon. You'll be certain to see him if you go along with tomorrow's wagon; when you get to the mine, just ask for Master Drake. I'll pen a note of introduction and leave it with the wagon-master for tomorrow morning."

Back in the market, the newly formed team discusses their strategy while shifting back and forth amidst the jostles of other shoppers. Heian has his eye on several of the nearby merchants as he contemplates how to best finish his shopping before the water gets cold, giving the elf an uncharacteristic air of hurriedness.

Fwop
2013-01-15, 11:55 AM
What? That entire exchange took an hour? Curses! Confounded planning fallacy always messing up my bathing schedule! :smallsigh:
Eyeing the wares of the nearest vendors, Heian runs through in his head a list of items he needs. It's admittedly smaller than one might think since he merely has to replenish the few things he'd used over the past few weeks of travel. But the water slowly cools with every second wasted.

"...if that's all," Heian addresses his three companions, "where and when shall we be meeting tomorrow? The wagon at dawn, or still earlier?"

antonm1107
2013-01-15, 06:07 PM
"Dawn sounds good. I need my shuteye, after all."

Korney
2013-01-15, 06:31 PM
"Good, we will meet again at dawn. I have something more I want to do before."
Däeril excuses himself from the group until the next day and heads to the town hall.

He asks arround, looking for someone who could point him to the current owner of the gem mine, and if nobody knows, he tries to talk to the mayor.

Fwop
2013-01-16, 01:30 AM
"Well then, good evening to you all." Heian bids rest of the group farewell before rushing off to complete his (rather nondescript) shopping.

Unless something of any particular interest happens during that period, in which case it will likely become very descript.

Mordae
2013-01-16, 04:24 PM
While Heian continues to peruse the market, Daeril inquires of a passerby where the town hall might be found. The halfling learns that the town is so small as to boast no such hall, but the current ruling elder, Sir Jameson, makes his home not far from the Adventurers' Guild. "Look for a two-story building, white-washed, slate roof. Can't miss it," the shopper says amiably, gesturing back toward the center of town.

Daeril follows the directions, the others in the group following or not as they will. Upon knocking, Daeril finds the door immediately answered by a petite maid-servant not terribly taller than himself. "Good afternoon, sir," she says with a rosy-cheeked smile and a deep curtsey that causes her bobbed brown hair to dance upon her shoulders. "How might I be of service?" She regards the halfling with curiosity evident in her doeish, chocolate-brown eyes.

Korney
2013-01-16, 04:47 PM
Däeril steps back in surprise, not used to speak to other person without looking up, even less to a beauty.
It takes a few seconds for him to talk.
"My name is Däeril, I'm an adventurer, I would like to talk to Sir Jameson regarding the abandoned gem mine."

If Sir Jameson recived him:
"Thank you for reciving me Sir. I'm currently part of an adventurer group that leads to the gem mines tomorrow at dawn. And I was curious about the reason they were abandoned in the first place." sais Däeril taking a seat.

"We are going to solve this problem because we think it directly affects the city economy. But I would preffer to avoid a blood bath at the mines."
"I am looking for possible alternatives to solve the problem, and you help would be appreciated." Däeril listens to what Sir Jameson has to say and during the conversation he asks about the current owner of the gem mine, the possibility of buying the right to use it, and how would the town see having goblin manlabor.

Mordae
2013-01-17, 04:55 PM
The maid bobs again and disappears within for a moment. Upon returning, she beckons for Daeril to follow and escorts him through the dim central corridor of the home, past the staircase, and to a door near the very back of the house. Opening it, she steps inside and drops another graceful curtsey. "Good sir, the adventurer Daeril to see you."

"Very good, Cheri," comes a melancholy voice from within.

The maid opens the door fully and allows Daeril to enter. The room is a study, with a heavy oaken desk positioned before the window at the back of the room and bookshelves flanking the window like silent bodyguards. The chair behind the desk, however, is empty. The remainder of the floor is covered by a crimson rug that splays out in a circular pattern beneath the small chandelier hanging from the ceiling. A fire is burning in the small brick fireplace on the wall opposite the door, and two high-backed armchairs upholstered in rich brown leather, identical to the one behind the desk, are seated to face the fire. From the right chair, a man's hand reaches out to dismiss the maid with a wave.

"Come, sir, Master Daeril," the voice calls. "I'm always pleased to help a fellow adventurer."

As Daeril approaches with his first question and takes a seat, the "fellow adventurer" comes fully into view. He is a thin, graying man whose heavy shoulders look as if they once may have borne armor, but the lean physique of youth has given way to baggy eyes, sagging jowls, and a noticeable paunch. A faint smile plays across his thin lips as he realizes his visitor is a halfling, but otherwise he shows attention only to the words being spoken. His hazel eyes are yet sharp.

"Ah, the goblins. A menace to the mountains since the day I first set foot in this town, and I dare say a menace still when your grandchildren are in their graves. For the most part they are content to stay in the high and hidden valleys and caverns beyond the range. Every few years, however, their numbers and appetite outgrow their native lands, and they trespass onto ours. Were they more amenable to trade, the Empire could benefit. But instead they are more interested in their primitive, rapacious ways. I cannot see how they could be made to work profitably under a man's supervision.

"You seek other means to control the problem; a commendable attribute. In my own adventuring years, I found a good show of force could usually dissuade them from fighting, for they are cowardly and sensitive to their own flesh. They will, however, attack in certain situations--if they are hard-pressed without means of escape; if they do not feel threatened by their foe; if a leader of some skill or bravery commands them; or if they are guarding something of immense value to their tribe.

"Always remember that goblins loathe sunlight. In daylight they are as babes: weak, helpless, fearful. When all else fails, retreating above ground will afford you respite--though there are, of course, many other dangers in the wilds."

Sir Jameson pauses, casting a glance to the embers within the fireplace. "As for the mine's ownership, the Goldhaus Company was the last to occupy it. When the going became tough and the mine was no longer profitable, they simply abandoned shop and pulled back to a more civilized imperial bastion. They have no resident presence in Hearthsford, nor even do we see their caravans. A loss to our economy, certainly, but in truth the duties and levies placed upon them were very low--an advantage to being the Chief Jeweler to His Imperial Majesty, I suppose."

Korney
2013-01-17, 05:35 PM
Däeril sighs "I guess then, with such a highborn controling the mines, there is no chance for someone like us to reclaim it back to the town."
"Unless someone with town authority might intervene." sais Däeril with a smirk.

"Your help and advices are very much appreciated Sir Jameson. I will make sure my partners take this information into account. I guess I'm a bit foolish for trying to make the goblins collaborate, but I don't want to get inside charging and them find they were half-civilized."
Däeril excuses himself once their conversation is over and goes back to the guild to sleep.

The next day he informs his partners about the information gathered. "I find the part about sunlight especially important. If we have to attack them after all, the hours previous to dawn should be the best, in case we have to run."

Fwop
2013-01-17, 10:40 PM
Hearing Däeril's words, Heian muses, "hmm. I wonder if they have any ability to keep time among them. I once heard a tale of an incautious vampire who was led on a merry chase for several hours before promptly being slain at the break of dawn. Perhaps, if we find we must forcibly remove them, we could lay a similar trap? Of course, we could always try to persuade them that greater riches lay elsewhere... "

D.KnightSpider
2013-01-18, 08:45 AM
"That would be a fine display of chicanery:" Lara's mouth twitched in amusement. "to present ourselves as emissaries of peace knowing full well that we are but drawing them to their demise. A straightforward battle would be much more honorable, methinks; at least then there would be no duplicity in our acts."

While she had no qualms with attempting negotiations, she found the indecision over whether to commit wholly to diplomacy rather amusing. To her mind, they were but goblins-- best put to the sword and forgotten.

antonm1107
2013-01-18, 07:17 PM
Xentil goes to a nearby inn to get to bed. Nondescript. Probably.

Korney
2013-01-19, 11:24 PM
Däeril waits at the designated point for the caravn to leave. He turns his head and look at his newly assembled party.
I hope they don't risk it like we did...

Mordae
2013-01-22, 01:50 PM
As dawn breaks, casting deep red sunlight through the open east gate, bathing the market in its crimson rays. The fiery light very nearly matches the shade of hair atop the head of the young driver at the bench of the wagon, holding the reins of two placid draft horses in both hands. The mark on the side of the wagon is that of Master Drake's salt business. Standing next to the mark is a slightly older man with unkempt dark hair and equally disheveled piecemeal armor. At your approach he unshoulders the light crossbow that had been resting against his chest and nestles it amongst the canvas tarp that secures the supplies inside the wagon. "This it, then?" he queries. "The four of you? Name's Ned, the driver's Billam. Long day's ride so let's be off, eh?"

Fwop
2013-01-23, 09:09 AM
Here's hoping this didn't spontaneously die. I'll assume we skip past the introductions (headed by one of our two apparent co-leaders?), since we'll never get anywhere if we have to keep giving our names to everybody.
The brief introductions finished, Heian asks, "so, what'll our travelling arrangement be like? Are we expecting any trouble on the road?"

Mordae
2013-01-23, 09:47 AM
"Naw, just the occasional wildcat. Hop on up or walk, take your pick. Nelly and Ed probably could outrun ahalfling, but not by much." With a lopsided grin, Ned hoists himself up onto the bench next to Billam and checks his crossbow once more.

The trail to the mine is dry and dusty, with an occasional rock big enough that Billam has to navigate the wagon to avoid bouncing over it. The air becomes progressively cooler as the altitude increases gradually, and the already-sparse trees become yet more scarce. Eventually even the stout, brown-green grasses give way to bare patches of dull grey rock. A trio of hawks circles high in the sky, six sharp eyes watching the ground for any sign of mouse or snake.

Daeril and Xentil notice the rustling of grass behind a large rock off the side of the road. As a result, they are not surprised when a tufted lynx bursts from its concealment, charging for the horses at the front of the wagon train. Ned yelps and fumbles for his crossbow.

ORDER OF BATTLE: Daeril and Xentil can each take an action. Then it's general battle.

Korney
2013-01-23, 11:32 AM
Däeril jumps on his feet as he sees the Lynx leap to the horses. his limited experience makes him act fast, trying to protect the beasts.

He charges to the predator while shouting a spell and with both his fists together, glowing with a light red aura, he tries to hit it away.

Casting Fist of Force for 2 dices, that's 4 ep + 1ep for armor.
So, the spells sais "2 dice of damage", does that mean I don't have to roll a BS roll?

Magic damage![roll0]

Korney
2013-01-23, 11:34 AM
direct damage is way too powerful, I guess I will make a BS roll.

Attack! [roll0]

EDIT: Should I spend an action just for casting it? I feel this is too powerful.

Mordae
2013-01-23, 12:16 PM
The red energy around the halfling's fists lashes out through the air, sending the big cat spinning to the ground. Before anyone can even blink, the lynx is on the ground, twitching, its eyes rolled back in its head.

Ned looks a bit dumbfounded as he finally brings his crossbow to bear. Billam looks from the lynx to Daeril and back, and then just shrugs. "Adventurers," he says laconically as he reaches forward to stroke the two horses, who are naturally a bit spooked by the action.

OOC:
Not too powerful, just lucky this time. You expended a third of your mana in one shot. You rolled better than average. You could have rolled a 2 and had an angry lynx to the face.

Korney
2013-01-23, 12:31 PM
"I hope the horses are ok."
Däeril savours his moment while looking at Ned and Billam "We don't want the halfling outrunning them."

He climbs at the top of the wagon for a little rest. Anytime he used magic he felt tired afterwards, as if a whole day had past in a second.
"Isn't it strange that a lynx attacked clearly outnumbered? Maybe the goblins are taking his preys. If that's the case, this place will get more and more dangerous over time."

Fwop
2013-01-23, 12:43 PM
So everything ties back to the goblins, huh? Could we each roll Brains or something to examine the lynx and see if it shows any signs of starvation, to verify Däeril's hypothesis?

"We'll have to keep a close eye on the road, then," he comments at Däeril's ominous prediction, "should I go ahead to scout? Or at least act as bait to draw anything waiting out of hiding?"

After a moment's brief consideration, he turns to Däeril and asks, "say, what other spells can you cast anyway? For future reference, in case we're in a bind."

Korney
2013-01-23, 12:51 PM
"I'm just an apprentice, I can't do much more. I know how to feel other magic, I can go unnoticed for a very short ammount of time, I can summon a dragon, and I can check for magical traps, although they are not very common."
answers Däeril while trying to hide his smile while the others react to the dragon's part.
"Just the basics."

Fwop
2013-01-23, 01:00 PM
"...A dragon, huh?" Heian says, relatively certain (but not entire sure) that that part was intended to be a joke. Honestly, who can really tell with wizards? "Well that's something. I've met a few wizards in my time, but I don't recall any of them ever doing something like that."

Inclining his head, he queries, "no fireballs or ice bolts, though? When you think of wizards, that's generally one of the first images you get. Though now, I'll surely have a halfling beating a lynx to death somewhere in there."

D.KnightSpider
2013-01-23, 05:08 PM
The battle was over before it began, leaving Lara to marvel at the wizard's power. If he was only an apprentice, then she would be hesitant to engage a fully trained and experienced practitioner.

Leaving Däeril and Heian to their discussion, Lara turned her attention to other pursuits. She left the back of the wagon to approach the front and the crossbowman who dwelt there. All the while she kept a hand on her axe, just in case.

"Your earlier mention of 'the occasional wildcat' leads me to believe that this is a regular occurrence. Is such actually the case?" She asked.

antonm1107
2013-01-25, 07:35 AM
Xentil stared dumbfounded. "... Wait, what just happened?" His weapon was unsheathed, but the man didn't even notice. "Did you just kill that thing... Just like that? Like... No actual combat, just one blast and dead?" It's about then that Xentil notices himself gripping his sword tightly, and sheepishly puts it back where it belongs.

Damn, sorry I haven't been on. Not gonna lie, I sort of forgot about this thread, what with exams and everything. Which reminds me; if I end up not coming on or responding to any pokes for a week, feel free to kill my character horribly. Exams.

Mordae
2013-01-28, 12:52 PM
Billam simply nods, but Ned answers the question posed by Lara and Daeril more directly. "Yah, we've been getting more attacks like this than before. Used to be they wouldn't come near a wagon, even if we weren't packing bolts. Then they started going for the horses, and we had to shoot a couple to get 'em to steer clear. Now... guess they're really hungry."

The horses resume ambling uphill, leaving the overwhelmed big cat behind as the trail cuts into a dry creekbed and angles sharply into the mountain. "Won't be far to the mine now," Ned continues. "Best stick close to the wagon; I dunno if Master Drake's set up any guards or anything, but no sense in someone getting shot by mistake."

As the wagon reaches the top of the cleft, Billam calls a halt to give the lathered horses a water break. Sharp-eared Heian can pick up the sound of creaking rope and wood to the west, in a little depression lit by the slowly setting afternoon sun.

Fwop
2013-01-28, 11:04 PM
Heian turns towards the noise, trying to visually make out what it could be. "Would we have any men over that way?"

I'm drawing a blank on what it could be. Should I recognise what it is IC?

Korney
2013-01-28, 11:05 PM
Däeril turns to the direction Heian is looking and try to see what he sees.

OOC: Not much to do :smallbiggrin:

Mordae
2013-01-29, 11:07 AM
"Yeah, that's our place," Ned confirms as he takes a drink from his own waterskin. "Sounds like they're pulling a big haul up from below. Master Drake says you're going to the old gem mine; that's the other way, off to the east and up the next big hill." He gestures rather vaguely to the somewhat overgrown dirt trail that leads east away from the cleft and slowly wends down into the valley beyond.

After everyone's had a few minutes of rest, Billam takes up the reins again and sets the wagon in motion to the west. After about fifteen minutes, the horses pull the group up over a little rise, and the mine proper comes into view.

Sheltered by middling hills to the north, southwest, and southeast, the operation consists of a twenty-tent surface camp surrounded by a rough-cut timber pallisade that appears to have been recently erected. The pallisade runs up the northern hillside, encompassing an irregular cave opening. Near that opening, a group of workers is operating a windlass, slowly reeling in a taut rope that stretches into the darkness of the cave.

antonm1107
2013-01-29, 05:23 PM
"So, what's the plan?" Xentil asks his fellow teammates. "We're gonna try to be diplomatic about this first, right?"

Korney
2013-01-29, 05:33 PM
"Let's meet our contact here. I want to ask about the promised cart and items too. Then let's head to the gem mine and do a first check from the distance." proposes Däeril "Unless you have another plan."

Fwop
2013-01-29, 10:13 PM
Heian nods. "Ideally, we'd spend a day or two to watch for any routines or patterns in their behaviour." He sighs, "but I doubt our employers would appreciate us waiting for so long before taking action. Well, I suppose I'd settle for a rough estimate of their numbers."

Mordae
2013-01-31, 04:28 PM
Billam leads the horse-cart down the slope and to the gate of the salt mine camp. A couple of burly-looking workmen are standing guard duty at the gate, but they offer a friendly wave to the arrivals and allow them to pass through into the camp without any questions or searches.

At the center of the camp, near the small well that provides the drinking water for the workers here, a bald-headed man, probably in his early fifties, wearing flowing crimson robes is inspecting a large slab of salt strapped to the top of an open cart. As Billam pulls on the reins to bring his own horses to a halt, Ned is already hopping down from the bench; he strides over to the inspector and, after a quick handshake, speaks to him in low tones. The older man's face brightens, and he strides over to the newly arrived wagon.

"Greetings!" he calls out to the four adventurers, his voice deep and melifluous. "I understand you've taken up the charge to root out our goblin problem. Capital! I'll arrange for your requested supplies to be readied for your departure..." he glances at the slowly setting sun with a hint of worry. "... tomorrow morning?"

Korney
2013-01-31, 08:53 PM
Däeril waits for Lara to introduce the group, as she was the one accepting the mission in the first place.

He looks at the sun too when he mentions it. "I would like to talk to the guards here and have someone point me in a map where the attacks have taken place."
sais Däeril whith pleased tone at their host attitude. "I think we will check the place tomorrow morning. We can use this evening for resting and studing the best plan. Do you have a tent we could use?"

D.KnightSpider
2013-02-02, 09:33 AM
"In the mean while," Lara commented in response to the inspector's glance at the horizon. "You may feel free to rely on my axe should the goblins decide to send a decidedly non-diplomatic company to speak with you tonight."

She was willing to humor Däeril in his attempts to pacify the goblinoids, but that did not mean she wouldn't lay contingency plans. Lara cast a gaze of her own over the encampment. She took stock of what could be used for fortifications and impromptu weaponry.

Mordae
2013-02-07, 04:21 PM
"But of course, we have a mostly empty storage tent that your group is free to use this evening. Fortunately we haven't had any attacks on the salt mine, but we do have a map that is already marked with goblin sightings. The nearest was a group of two seen just last night at the top of the cleft. They scurried away when sent a couple of crossbow bolts their direction. They seem to lack the sophistication of ranged weaponry, which may give you an advantage." He begins to lead the group across the yard to a tent near the southwest "corner" of the encampment. Meanwhile, his men get to work unloading the supplies from the cart.

Lara's assessment of the fortifications is that they are probably adequate to repel a small-scale attack, less than a dozen or so, but would be overwhelmed by a large force. The fence has gaps big enough to see through, perhaps even big enough for a goblin to squeeze through with difficulty. Most of the workers are armed with heavy knives or clubs, and there are a couple of swords present; only the guards at the gate carry crossbows. Nothing has been staged at the gate to barricade it in case of attack.