PDA

View Full Version : ToB strike questions.

Darth Stabber
2013-01-02, 05:30 PM
So I haven't found any explicit ruling, but can a strike be initiated as part of charge (other than ones that specifically require charging)?

Example: warblade with ruby nightmare blade, shocktrooper and leap attack. Can he charge, dump his AC and use ruby nightmare blade for a massive single swing?

I ask because I am building a warblade right now, and I was curious if I wanted to include spirit lion barbarian for pounce, or if I could use ruby/diamond nightmare blade to achieve 80% of the intended effect. I realize that I could use the watered down ubercharge to regain maneuvers, but that seems like it would not be relevant as often as I would like (though really good when it was) since you usually charge first thing in combat, and less so later.

He's already psionic (hidden talent:expansion), so even against very high ac I can just take 15 on the concentration check.

Acanous
2013-01-02, 05:32 PM
I believe they can be used as part of a charge, as some require charging to use.

Siosilvar
2013-01-02, 05:34 PM
No. A strike is a standard or full-round action, not an attack (action), and so cannot be combined with a charge. Some strikes, mostly in White Raven, have you charge as part of the maneuver.

Amnestic
2013-01-02, 05:35 PM
Aren't charges a specific action (a full round action at that) while most strikes are explicitly "1 standard action"?

I might consider allowing strikes to be part of a charge, but by RAW I'm fairly certain they can't be.

Lord Il Palazzo
2013-01-02, 05:41 PM
I allow it in my game and it isn't game-breaking, but it is definitley a house-rule. Maneuvers that work with or require a charge will say so like Battle Leader's Charge does.

Douglas
2013-01-02, 05:58 PM
Each strike requires either a standard action or a full round action to use. What you get at the end of a charge is an attack, not a standard or full round action.

Think of it as inputs and outputs. You start with one round's worth of actions, and you have a number of options that take some input and produce some output. In order to use any particular option, you have to have the inputs available. The regular attack action takes a standard action as input and produces an attack as output. The full attack action takes a full round action as input and produces multiple attacks as output. The charge action takes a full round action as input and produces some restricted movement, an attack, and some die roll modifiers.

Ruby Nightmare Blade takes a standard action as input. Once you declare a charge, your available resources are a swift action, some restricted movement, and an attack. You don't have a standard action available, so you can't use Ruby Nightmare Blade.

Darth Stabber
2013-01-02, 08:31 PM
This makes me kinda sad.

The ruling kinda makes sense though. Since martial maneuvers require a specific series of movements, using one on the end of charge would be significantly more difficult. It would make an interesting, if very niche, feat. Oh well, he's already chaotic neutral and spirit lion barb dip has never hurt a meleer before. Probably pick-up whirling frenzy as well.

BowStreetRunner
2013-01-02, 08:59 PM
Grab a belt of battle and you can both charge and initiate that maneuver!